PDA

View Full Version : TE Quinn was surprised he was drafted at all

Popcorn Sutton
05-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Before last season, National Football Scouting formed its opinion on North Carolina tight end Richard Quinn. He was graded between a sixth-round pick and an undrafted free agent.

After Quinn caught only eight passes for 97 yards, he had his own opinion. The sixth round seemed like a reach.

"I thought maybe I'd be a free agent and be blessed to have the opportunity to come to a team and maybe try out," he said.

Draft prognosticators weren't high on Quinn. Mel Kiper Jr. had Quinn ranked as a mid-round pick. Pro Football Weekly had Quinn ranked eighth among tight ends.

So how, a few minutes after text messaging his agent on draft day to say that he was going to sleep, did Quinn wind up as a second-round pick of the Denver Broncos?

The rest of the story HERE (http://www.gazette.com/sports/quinn-54275-round-agent.html).

TonyR
05-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Interesting...

His agent, Peter Schaffer, said it wasn't one team making a gigantic reach. He said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted Quinn in the middle of the second round, but they traded their picks or passed on Quinn to fill other needs. Schaffer said Quinn would have gone in the first few picks of the third round.

Before the draft, Schaffer said he talked to Texans general manager Rick Smith, who wanted Quinn in the middle of the third round.

Denver724
05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I think he would have went in the first few picks of the 3rd round. Not really a reach at all and I think will be a great TE in our scheme.

barryr
05-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Seems like other teams valued Quinn's blocking ability as well.

SoDak Bronco
05-18-2009, 08:21 AM
seems like a strange pick to jump up for when we have Daniel Graham..

gyldenlove
05-18-2009, 08:25 AM
His agent, Peter Schaffer, said it wasn't one team making a gigantic reach. He said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted Quinn in the middle of the second round, but they traded their picks or passed on Quinn to fill other needs. Schaffer said Quinn would have gone in the first few picks of the third round.

Before the draft, Schaffer said he talked to Texans general manager Rick Smith, who wanted Quinn in the middle of the third round.

The agent says it so it must be true.

Funny how some team say they want him in the middle of the 2nd round, but don't, but yet the agent is certain that he would be drafted early in the 3rd?

MagicHef
05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
"I'm a Dr Pepper richer because that was the bet."

Nice.

broncofan7
05-18-2009, 09:20 AM
He must have impressed MCD with his 'gregariousness'----this was the pick that made me vomit almost as much as trading next year's #1 for Smith........hopefully, this guy can block like Graham.....

BroncoBuff
05-18-2009, 09:25 AM
This is powerful hilarious for the Josh detractors .... :~ohyah!:

I would really love to see where this guy was on other teams' draft boards.

RunSilentRunDeep
05-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Again, everyone seems to flip out over the trade to get him, but if we spent the two thirds on Quinn and Olsen most people could probably deal with it. I think Quinn has a great chance of panning out.

footstepsfrom#27
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Old news...but Quinn was coveted here IMO because Daniel Graham is going to be sent packing. Yes I know the Pats used two blocking TE's...well he was let go there so I think he'll be let go here. He's to costly and apparently McD doesn't value the TE in the offense anyway if you go by what the Pats TE's do in the passing game. We have a UDFA TE in camp plus Jeb the human crash dummy as well. Quinn...may or may not have been there in the 3rd...not sure but unless he's an absolutely amazing blocker it seems like a big time reach.

Beantown Bronco
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
[Agent] said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted [Player] in the middle of the [insert] round, but they traded their picks or passed on [Player] to fill other needs. [Agent] said [Player] would have gone in the first few picks of the [insert next] round.

Technically, every agent could say this about every one of their clients.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
People keep saying we spent two thirds on him, ignoring the fact that we got a 4th in return. We didn't lose any picks in the deal.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Old news...but Quinn was coveted here IMO because Daniel Graham is going to be sent packing. Yes I know the Pats used two blocking TE's...well he was let go there so I think he'll be let go here. He's to costly and apparently McD doesn't value the TE in the offense anyway if you go by what the Pats TE's do in the passing game. We have a UDFA TE in camp plus Jeb the human crash dummy as well. Quinn...may or may not have been there in the 3rd...not sure but unless he's an absolutely amazing blocker it seems like a big time reach.

NE ran a lot of 2 tight end sets and 3 TE sets near the goal line. There's room for both Graham and Quinn

footstepsfrom#27
05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
NE ran a lot of 2 tight end sets and 3 TE sets near the goal line. There's room for both Graham and Quinn
Graham...I suspect is to rich for Pat Bowlen's blood for what he does. He just signed a huge contract and I don't know how long his contract is for but I bet Bowlen's already laying plans to push the eject button. If there's another Richard Quinn out there in the draft next year or through FA this year...don't say I didn't tell you.

Garcia Bronco
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM

We'll have 3 TE's on the field at times

footstepsfrom#27
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I actually would prefer to see Hillis playing the H-back spot jumping from a backfield spot as FB to a TE position or lining up in the backfield as a receiver as well. He's much more talented and versitile than any one dimensional blocking TE and while he might need to work on his blocking, the guy's clearly capable physically. I hate to see him or Scheffler off the field to make room for someone like Quinn.

telluride
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
It's obvious that with the uncapped year coming we will be shedding as many of the high cost contracts as possible. (Owners, Bowlen included, are going to be taking as much profit next year as possible.) So look at our draft with that in mind. Our so-called "reaches" were all made with a specific contract dump in mind. The two most obvious ones: Champ, and Graham. Neither player will be a Bronco next year. Which is why Alphonso and Quinn were drafted.

bronco militia
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM

lmao! wtf is up with your avitar?

Garcia Bronco
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
It's obvious that with the uncapped year coming we will be shedding as many of the high cost contracts as possible. (Owners, Bowlen included, are going to be taking as much profit next year as possible.) So look at our draft with that in mind. Our so-called "reaches" were all made with a specific contract dump in mind. The two most obvious ones: Champ, and Graham. Neither player will be a Bronco next year. Which is why Alphonso and Quinn were drafted.

I don't know if DG and CB are in that group, but I said this during and after the draft which is why we took an opportunity to dump one of the 1sts.

telluride
05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
lmao! wtf is up with your avitar?

Cool, ain't it?

colonelbeef
05-18-2009, 10:30 AM

there is another word for it.

Popps
05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I actually would prefer to see Hillis playing the H-back spot jumping from a backfield spot as FB to a TE position or lining up in the backfield as a receiver as well. He's much more talented and versitile than any one dimensional blocking TE and while he might need to work on his blocking, the guy's clearly capable physically. I hate to see him or Scheffler off the field to make room for someone like Quinn.

Just a guess, but I have a feeling Hillis will come out listed as a fullback, and be utilized much like you said, but also as a single back. I think Quinn will be used more as a 2nd blocking TE in situations where we're looking to pound the ball. In fact, Hillis and Quinn could be on the field at the same time quite a bit, imo.

Overall, I think there's going to be a level of player movement and substitution in Denver that the fans just haven't seen. It'll take some getting used to, but it's worked very well for NE.

footstepsfrom#27
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Just a guess, but I have a feeling Hillis will come out listed as a fullback, and be utilized much like you said, but also as a single back. I think Quinn will be used more as a 2nd blocking TE in situations where we're looking to pound the ball. In fact, Hillis and Quinn could be on the field at the same time quite a bit, imo.

Overall, I think there's going to be a level of player movement and substitution in Denver that the fans just haven't seen. It'll take some getting used to, but it's worked very well for NE.
Add to that the idea of Scheffler lining up inside then splitting wide as a receiver at 6'5" 250.

broncosteven
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM

I am all for player substitution and packages that accentuate players skill sets.

I am glad we have that kind of depth at TE where we have the luxury of a Pass catcher (when healty), a established blocking Vet, a Rookie Blocker, an Hback/fullback.

We may have the greatest TE core in the league.

Too bad our Dline is still; neglected, underpowered, unproven, young, inexperienced, lacking talent or vet leadership.

Doom and Thomas are our Dline Vets. I doubt they strike fear in anyone.

Can't fix everything in one year I guess.

broncosteven
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
The real question is:

Was this guy drafted because Lonie Paxton can only play LS and guard, and late night massuse to HC balls?

Did they need to fill the void of Leach with a 2nd round TE?

broncocalijohn
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree. Are we using him as a blocker which Graham is completely capable of doing (and has been doing in the NFL for years) and has shown that he can finally catch a ball and be productive on the stats end of his career or go out and be a H Back which is a huge stretch from a guy who had 8 catches last year and 12 for his career. Regardless of the kid's ability, did we need to get up and use picks to take someone that isnt a huge need in our offense?

Popcorn Sutton
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree. Are we using him as a blocker which Graham is completely capable of doing (and has been doing in the NFL for years) and has shown that he can finally catch a ball and be productive on the stats end of his career or go out and be a H Back which is a huge stretch from a guy who had 8 catches last year and 12 for his career. Regardless of the kid's ability, did we need to get up and use a pick to take someone that isnt a huge need in our offense?

I corrected one part in your statement.

They traded 2 3rds for a 2nd and a 4th. People keep associating this pick with multiple picks. It was a 2 pick for 2 pick trade.

telluride
05-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I agree. Are we using him as a blocker which Graham is completely capable of doing (and has been doing in the NFL for years) and has shown that he can finally catch a ball and be productive on the stats end of his career or go out and be a H Back which is a huge stretch from a guy who had 8 catches last year and 12 for his career. Regardless of the kid's ability, did we need to get up and use picks to take someone that isnt a huge need in our offense?

Again, this was a pick for next year. Graham is history next year.

Popps
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I am all for player substitution and packages that accentuate players skill sets.

I am glad we have that kind of depth at TE where we have the luxury of a Pass catcher (when healty), a established blocking Vet, a Rookie Blocker, an Hback/fullback.

We may have the greatest TE core in the league.

Too bad our Dline is still; neglected, underpowered, unproven, young, inexperienced, lacking talent or vet leadership.

Doom and Thomas are our Dline Vets. I doubt they strike fear in anyone.

Can't fix everything in one year I guess.

You can't, but you CAN make strides towards fixing the larger issues at hand. I think we've done that, even on defense.

The front seven remains a big question mark. But, we had an AWFUL line last year. What did we do? We signed Nikko Ridethebenches and Boss Bailey as the solution to our problems. It was clear from the start of last off-season that we were in trouble.

This year, we bring in a couple of younger guys that our DC likes in Ried/Fields, and draft the best DE prospect in the draft. We also resigned Peterson, who was one of the few guys who looked respectable for us last season.

So, it's making inroads. Like you said, it doesn't all get fixed at once, but it's laying foundation. Add to that the fact that I think getting Dumervil out in space is going to be a huge upgrade for him. He never should have been an every-down DE in a 4-3.

You also have to factor in what I consider to be MASSIVE improvements in the secondary. We were literally signing guys on the street/practice squad in the middle of the season to play S. We had no leadership or veteran savvy in our secondary with Champ out. Now, we stand to have two of the smartest and most talented DBs in the league out there at the same time, accompanied by some young, talented prospects and additional veteran help.

We've made some great moves on defense. We have more work to do, but Broncos fans should be encouraged, imo.

Mogulseeker
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Such a shame. Champ was extremely good for a while there.

broncosteven
05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
You can't, but you CAN make strides towards fixing the larger issues at hand. I think we've done that, even on defense.

The front seven remains a big question mark. But, we had an AWFUL line last year. What did we do? We signed Nikko Ridethebenches and Boss Bailey as the solution to our problems. It was clear from the start of last off-season that we were in trouble.

This year, we bring in a couple of younger guys that our DC likes in Ried/Fields, and draft the best DE prospect in the draft. We also resigned Peterson, who was one of the few guys who looked respectable for us last season.

So, it's making inroads. Like you said, it doesn't all get fixed at once, but it's laying foundation. Add to that the fact that I think getting Dumervil out in space is going to be a huge upgrade for him. He never should have been an every-down DE in a 4-3.

You also have to factor in what I consider to be MASSIVE improvements in the secondary. We were literally signing guys on the street/practice squad in the middle of the season to play S. We had no leadership or veteran savvy in our secondary with Champ out. Now, we stand to have two of the smartest and most talented DBs in the league out there at the same time, accompanied by some young, talented prospects and additional veteran help.

We've made some great moves on defense. We have more work to do, but Broncos fans should be encouraged, imo.

I agree with most of your post.

I am trying to be patient, until I see the end result on the field.

I am guessing that there wasn't the talent there to improve the Dline this year so they filled out depth at the positions where they think we can get better this year at. If the Draft picks this year are good depth players for next couple years then they were good picks.

I am not sold on the Secondary argument though.

I think Lynch would have made our D a little better last year even if he played in run support. I agree we missed on the 2 scrubs last year but there was no one else available last year at S just as there was no one availble this year at DLine.

After the last 3 years I will never believe the argument that a strong secondary will make the front 7 stronger.

If anything Dawkins may make a 20 yard gain a 5 yarder but he is not going to improve the dline in anyway.

Champ had his worst season last year behind the worst Dline. Fact is we drafted 2 DL players and brought in 1 UDFA that I know about. We are going to rely on players that were drafted over last 2 years to hold the line.

Add in a change to 3-4...

Go BRONCOS!

doof
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
If he didn't think he was going to get drafted why did he declare for the draft? The article states that he wasn't invited to the senior bowl because he was a red shirt junior.

Kaylore
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Before the draft, Schaffer said he talked to Texans general manager Rick Smith, who wanted Quinn in the middle of the third round.[/I]
That should make everyone feel better. Rick Smith is a bad ass.

Hulamau
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Not strange at all , this pick is about TD's in the red zone, with double tight ends and the best running back in the draft.

It wasn't just a wild hair random .. "Oh lets jump up and grab this Quinn guy" kind of pick at all.

Hulamau
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
That should make everyone feel better. Rick Smith is a bad ass.

Which means if we didn't move up we don't get him at all ... smart move Josh.

Hulamau
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Champ had his worst season last year behind the worst Dline. Fact is we drafted 2 DL players and brought in 1 UDFA that I know about. We are going to rely on players that were drafted over last 2 years to hold the line.

Go BRONCOS!

We brought in DE/OLB Reid and NT Fields, Drafted Ayers at OLB/DE.
Ands bought in three DL UDFA's, Rulon Davis, Chris Baker and Everett P.

All of which show some promise. We'll see who sticks but it isn't chopped liver. And McBean would well be a Kenny Peterson kind of guy ready to make his move now as a respectable DE rotation guy.

Drek
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't see why this surprises people. He impressed a lot of scouts in receiving drills leading up to the draft. More than a few teams in the league have spent good sized UDFA money and more importantly roster spots for multiple seasons on basketball players who've shown less raw pass catching ability than Quinn, and he's a known quantity (of good value) as a blocker.

The fact that he was a riser should not come as a surprise to anyone and I'd be willing to bet there where more than a few teams with legit first round interest.

I know people like to throw a fit over the trade up, but if we'd taken him at #79 and Olsen at #85 people wouldn't have their panties in nearly as much of a twist. Its just like trading up for Alphonso Smith. If they did it for some "name" guy like Ron "I got 3rd round talent but will go in the early 2nd because this is a ****ty DT class" Brace a lot of people would've busted a nut over it.

Wait until they step on the field before you throw 'em under the bus. At least with Shanahan there was a track record to gauge it by. For all we know McDaniels is the next great drafting savant and will start pulling all-pros out of the second day and never miss on a first day guy. He might also be a huge flop in the job. At this point its pretty damn up in the air.

Popps
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree with most of your post.

I am trying to be patient, until I see the end result on the field.

I am guessing that there wasn't the talent there to improve the Dline this year so they filled out depth at the positions where they think we can get better this year at. !

True. There was definitely slim-pickings in FA. The draft? Anyone's guess. We got the best DE prospect available. So, that's noteworthy.

Think about this. If Ayers can become an impact player, that's one more impact player than we had on all of our D-line last season. Losing Engelberger upgrades us immediately.

As for the interior, we'll just have to see how it plays out. Baker is a wild card, and we've got some bodies that may fit very well as 3-4 interior guys. (Powell, etc.)

It's too soon to be incredibly optimistic about the front seven, but it's also too soon to be gloomy.

The DC change alone should be reason for celebration.

Go BRONCOS!

A scheme switch will likely cause us as much trouble as anything else. You're right... that's going to take time. But, we KNEW this year would be about rebuilding the defense. It has to be. If we come out of the gate looking respectable, we're already ahead of the game.

cutthemdown
05-18-2009, 06:44 PM
After we have to cut Boss Bailey, and we don't go into playoffs, Champ will probably want to leave Denver. So the Smith pick makes sense. The only reason Boss was brought over was to make Champ Happy. But Boss has no position in a 3-4 (IMO) and Champ not playing well enough anymore to have that sort of pull with the new regime.

Graham makes too much money and Quinn is probably his replacement after this yr.

So really both those picks make more sense when you look at the big picture.

cutthemdown
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't see why this surprises people. He impressed a lot of scouts in receiving drills leading up to the draft. More than a few teams in the league have spent good sized UDFA money and more importantly roster spots for multiple seasons on basketball players who've shown less raw pass catching ability than Quinn, and he's a known quantity (of good value) as a blocker.

The fact that he was a riser should not come as a surprise to anyone and I'd be willing to bet there where more than a few teams with legit first round interest.

I know people like to throw a fit over the trade up, but if we'd taken him at #79 and Olsen at #85 people wouldn't have their panties in nearly as much of a twist. Its just like trading up for Alphonso Smith. If they did it for some "name" guy like Ron "I got 3rd round talent but will go in the early 2nd because this is a ****ty DT class" Brace a lot of people would've busted a nut over it.

Wait until they step on the field before you throw 'em under the bus. At least with Shanahan there was a track record to gauge it by. For all we know McDaniels is the next great drafting savant and will start pulling all-pros out of the second day and never miss on a first day guy. He might also be a huge flop in the job. At this point its pretty damn up in the air.

The combine video of Quinn showed a player who catches ball easily, with his hands, and snatches the ball out of the air. All the things you look for. It's not like this guy has stone hands, even his college coach said he should have thrown to him more.

thumpc
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
MileHighReport was speculating about three TEs sets back before the draft
http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/2/10/184653/110

and then followed up a few days ago
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/14/875331/is-it-time-for-the-magic-3

thumpc
05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Think about what you can do with Graham, Quinn, Hillis, Scheffler and Marshall on the field together. When you have several guys that can inline block or crack down on DEs, and get out on Lbs and safeties, and you can move them all around to create mismatches in the passing game, things can get real interesting.

broncosteven
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
MileHighReport was speculating about three TEs sets back before the draft
http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/2/10/184653/110

and then followed up a few days ago
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/14/875331/is-it-time-for-the-magic-3

Good stuff, I think with the renewed interest in the Wing-t and older formations this could be possible.

I never understood why the Wing and some of the older running formations were discarded. I would think the more formations the more a D needs to prepare for.

Anyone remember the TD Portis had vs KFC from the Wing formation? KFC was lost and didn't know who to block.

I still think all these aquisitions at TE were depth related but it would be nice to see some innovation continue to come out of Denver.

Also - I dispise the standard 2 TE set. I know Shanny wanted to focus on it a couple years ago but once our Oline and QB got better he jumped back to the 3 wide offset I.

I can't wait to see the product on the field!

gyldenlove
05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
The combine video of Quinn showed a player who catches ball easily, with his hands, and snatches the ball out of the air. All the things you look for. It's not like this guy has stone hands, even his college coach said he should have thrown to him more.

That is true, his hands are the least of the worries with this guy (except when they are in a cast). The real problem is his route running and his ability to separate, he is very slow getting up to speed and doesn't turn naturally, so even though he will be able to catch the ball when it gets to him, it will probably take him a long time to get in a position where the ball can get to him.

He looks like a 10-20 reception guy to me.

gyldenlove
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Good stuff, I think with the renewed interest in the Wing-t and older formations this could be possible.

I never understood why the Wing and some of the older running formations were discarded. I would think the more formations the more a D needs to prepare for.

Anyone remember the TD Portis had vs KFC from the Wing formation? KFC was lost and didn't know who to block.

I still think all these aquisitions at TE were depth related but it would be nice to see some innovation continue to come out of Denver.

Also - I dispise the standard 2 TE set. I know Shanny wanted to focus on it a couple years ago but once our Oline and QB got better he jumped back to the 3 wide offset I.

I can't wait to see the product on the field!

I really like the singleback 2 TE twins formation, you have a lot of options with stacking people on one side, and you can get some nice matchups with a pass catching TE on the other side.

thumpc
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
That is true, his hands are the least of the worries with this guy (except when they are in a cast). The real problem is his route running and his ability to separate, he is very slow getting up to speed and doesn't turn naturally, so even though he will be able to catch the ball when it gets to him, it will probably take him a long time to get in a position where the ball can get to him.

He looks like a 10-20 reception guy to me.

There were a lot of tempting pass catching TEs in the draft. None of them were 265 lbs, with Quinn's physicality. I would have loved Shawn Nelson, who went soon after Quinn. He can run routes, catch and get physical, threw Mauluaga down in pass pro at the Senior Bowl. Quinn was the only one after Pettigrew who could hope to block an nfl DE. McD wanted a player who could block anyone from DEs on the line to corners in the open field, and catch first downs and TDs in soft zone coverage.