PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Snubs White House (again)

Kid A
05-17-2009, 01:33 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30782878/

PITTSBURGH - When the Super Bowl XLIII champion Pittsburgh Steelers make their trip to the White House Thursday, one of the players largely responsible for their victory over the Arizona Cardinals says he won't be attending.

Linebacker James Harrison said he'll pass on the invite from President Barack Obama.

"This is how I feel if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

Harrison also skipped the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006 following their victory in Super Bowl XL.

CHANGSTER
05-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Can someone throw up the Facepalm pics?

SouthStndJunkie
05-17-2009, 01:36 AM
I have no problem with that decision.

Kid A
05-17-2009, 01:41 AM
"He would've invited Arizona if they had won"? Hate to break it to you Harrison, but Goodell would have handed that nice shiny trophy to Arizona if they had won. But you seemed okay accepting that.

You're an athlete: people invite you places and give you **** when you win, not because you're actually important in any significant way.

But, hey, that's two presidents he's turned down now, so he's bipartisan in his ego-tripping.

WABronco
05-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Hahaha what a retard. Sounds like the reasoning a 4 year old would come up with, and even then. HGH make you dumb, bro?

footstepsfrom#27
05-17-2009, 02:03 AM
"This is how I feel if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.
Just a guess but I doubt Obama gives a flying fig about the Steelers or James Harrison. This is tradition, nothing more.

Archer81
05-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Its simple. James Harrison is racist.

:Broncos:

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 02:20 AM
I can't blame him for deciding that he has better things to do with his time than to spend it kissing up to any career politician...

SportinOne
05-17-2009, 02:22 AM
It's a reward. Not everyone in the damn country gets to go to the white house and meet the president. It's also an extension of the celebration of your team winning the championship. No one is going to fault him if he doesn't want to go but if that is really his reason I just don't understand what his gripe is..

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-17-2009, 02:23 AM

PITTSBURGH - When the Super Bowl XLIII champion Pittsburgh Steelers make their trip to the White House Thursday, one of the players largely responsible for their victory over the Arizona Cardinals says he won't be attending.

Linebacker James Harrison said he'll pass on the invite from President Barack Obama.

Harrison also skipped the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006 following their victory in Super Bowl XL.

At least he's equal opportunity offender.

ZONA
05-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Harrison can do what he wants. It's not going to be any skin off Obama's back either though. It's just tradition as stated above, nothing else. I mean, it's just a congratulations, job well done thing so I don't get his view at all. I for one would think it would be cool to go inside the white house and check it out. If Harrison doesn't, so be it. No fricken big deal either way.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Sure, he can do whatever he wants...but his reasoning is a tad strange.

BroncoMan4ever
05-17-2009, 04:33 AM
if this was because of actual political dislike of the current president, i would have no problem with this. but him not going because only a Super Bowl winner is invited, is retarded, and makes him seem like a douche.

i know for a fact if i played on a super bowl winning team i wouldn't have gone to the meet and greet when Bush was in office, but that is for my extreme dislike of his presidency and not because i would be upset that he only invited me because i was part of a super bowl winning team.

watermock
05-17-2009, 04:35 AM
This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

I'm reaching for a reason for this dumbass to state this>

As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

WTF? Too bad he couldn't play the race card. Both 'qb's were white?

He's mad there wasn't a black QB in the SB?

That is what it sounds like to me.

Dukes
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Its simple. James Harrison is racist.

Absolutely

Kaylore
05-17-2009, 08:15 AM
So Harrison is upset that they only invited the Steelers because they won the Super Bowl? :spit: Ok, you go pout about that, Harrison.

Meck77
05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
It's not fair Kaylore! All the 32 teams should be able to go every year! Oh and what about all the scrubs from training camp? We can't leave out those few thousand guys!

Inkana7
05-17-2009, 09:00 AM
What a tool.

Man-Goblin
05-17-2009, 09:13 AM
The roids are going to his head.

TheReverend
05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
People are surprised pro football players are this dumb?

I don't think so. Look at how nuts we get in amazement when one of them can string together a complete sentence (reference: Foxworth and Royal).

Hulamau
05-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Just a guess but I doubt Obama gives a flying fig about the Steelers or James Harrison. This is tradition, nothing more.

Actually, Obama is a big Steeler's fan and is real tight with the Rooney family as well.

As far as James Harrison goes I suspect you're right, he probably could care less if he comes to the party or not.

Hulamau
05-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm still pissed that that Moron, cant even remember his name on the Arizona bench jumped out an the apron next to the sideline stripe and blocked his own man Larry Fitzgerald who absolutely would have tackled Harrison before the end zone otherwise, and won the game for the Cardinals ... thanks to his second half heroics with the football.

gyldenlove
05-17-2009, 09:49 AM
At least the NCAA scholastic standards mean we only give huge scholarships to people who actually deserve a college education.

Popps
05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
"This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl."

This is honestly so insane, I can't wrap my head around whether or not he's serious.

If he IS, there are few words to describe this kind of idiocy.

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Is it really an issue though? I mean, yeah, it's an honor to be invited to the White House as a member of a team that won a championship. But if he doesn't want to accept the honor, then that's his right, too. Who cares why he declined it?

ZachKC
05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I can't blame him for deciding that he has better things to do with his time than to spend it kissing up to any career politician...

This is a leap. He doesn't have to kiss up to anyone or anything. There is no problem with him choosing not to go, life is made up of decisions.

But being invited to the White House by the President of the United States...any POTUS should be an honor to an American Citizen.

Like I said...his decision...but your reasoning and his are just silly.

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 10:47 AM
This is a leap. He doesn't have to kiss up to anyone or anything. There is no problem with him choosing not to go, life is made up of decisions.

But being invited to the White House by the President of the United States...any POTUS should be an honor to an American Citizen.

Like I said...his decision...but your reasoning and his are just silly.

I really don't care why he doesn't want to go... it's none of my business if he wants to decline the invitation and I'm not about to go getting butthurt about it or even spending one iota of righteous outrage over it. And I'm not gonna call him stupid either... he is not obligated to go and if he doesn't want to, that's OK with me. *shrug*

Inkana7
05-17-2009, 10:56 AM
If his first name was Rodney and not James you would be destroying him right now.

SouthStndJunkie
05-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe he shares the same opinion as I do....that all politicians are liars and con artists.

Jason in LA
05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't see what the problem is with this, and I kind of like his logic. He's pretty much saying that the President doesn't really care about them, and that it's just a show which he really doesn't care to be a part of. And it appears that he's not really the star struck type of guy. So meeting the President isn't a big deal. Not everybody is star struck.

Popps
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Maybe he shares the same opinion as I do....that all politicians are liars and con artists.

I couldn't agree more, but it's still an historic opportunity to visit the White House. Like Obama and Co. or not, I'd love the chance to visit.... just as a someone who loves his country.

Popps
05-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I really don't care why he doesn't want to go... it's none of my business

Very true.

And I'm not gonna call him stupid either... he is not obligated to go and if he doesn't want to, that's OK with me. *shrug*

No one said he was obligated. If he's disinterested, that's fine.

But, his reasons were that of a grade school kid. Actually, most grade schoolers have a better grip on reality than that.

"if Arizona would have won, he would have invited them...."

Honestly, this is stupidity that it's almost impossible to quantify.

Of course he would have invited them. IT'S AN HONOR GIVEN TO THE WINNING TEAM. The winning team visits the White House.

Seriously, is he mentally challenged? I'm dead serious. You have to be in some sort state of arrested mental development to open your mouth and have something like that come out.

SouthStndJunkie
05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't see what the problem is with this, and I kind of like his logic. He's pretty much saying that the President doesn't really care about them, and that it's just a show which he really doesn't care to be a part of. And it appears that he's not really the star struck type of guy. So meeting the President isn't a big deal. Not everybody is star struck.

It's just a media photo op for the President.

If it were me in his position, I would probably go....but I respect his right to stay home.

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 11:35 AM
If his first name was Rodney and not James you would be destroying him right now.

No. I still wouldn't care. It would still be none of my business.

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Very true.

No one said he was obligated. If he's disinterested, that's fine.

But, his reasons were that of a grade school kid. Actually, most grade schoolers have a better grip on reality than that.

"if Arizona would have won, he would have invited them...."

Honestly, this is stupidity that it's almost impossible to quantify.

Of course he would have invited them. IT'S AN HONOR GIVEN TO THE WINNING TEAM. The winning team visits the White House.

Seriously, is he mentally challenged? I'm dead serious. You have to be in some sort state of arrested mental development to open your mouth and have something like that come out.

Not everyone is a good... or a poised... public speaker (for example, Pat Bowlen isn't either). And sometimes people say stupid, obvious, or inane things (like Tony Kornheiser or Joe Theismann or Randy Cross... or John Madden. Hell, even Phil Simms sometimes makes dumb comments and all of those guys are used to being on-camera).

Archer81
05-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Not everyone is a good... or a poised... public speaker (for example, Pat Bowlen isn't either). And sometimes people say stupid, obvious, or inane things (like Tony Kornheiser or Joe Theismann or Randy Cross... or John Madden. Hell, even Phil Simms sometimes makes dumb comments and all of those guys are used to being on-camera).

Simms actually says more homoerotic things than dumb things.

Kaylore
05-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I really don't care why he doesn't want to go... it's none of my business if he wants to decline the invitation and I'm not about to go getting butthurt about it or even spending one iota of righteous outrage over it. And I'm not gonna call him stupid either... he is not obligated to go and if he doesn't want to, that's OK with me. *shrug*

No one is arguing he doesn't have a right to refuse to attend. I don't think anyone cares about his ability to choose to go. If it was in protest to Obama's policies, some people would even applaud the choice. What they have issue with is his perceived slight of his team - as though the White House is a bandwagon fan - and complete ignorance to the history of the event. He's nuts.

Blueflame
05-17-2009, 12:07 PM
No one is arguing he doesn't have a right to refuse to attend. I don't think anyone cares about his ability to choose to go. If it was in protest to Obama's policies, some people would even applaud the choice. What they have issue with is his perceived slight of his team - as though the White House is a bandwagon fan - and complete ignorance to the history of the event. He's nuts.

Guess I just think some could be making a mountain out of a molehill here.... probably at least partly because there isn't much else (NFL-related) to talk about.

Popps
05-17-2009, 12:18 PM

Lock it up.

SoCalBronco
05-17-2009, 01:02 PM
It doesn't matter. It's not important. If he doesn't want to go, don't go.

Bronx33
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
One less time the whitehouse staff has to clean up a mess they didn't make and it probably will save us taxpayers 70k for a meaningless visit to the whitehouse.

colonelbeef
05-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't decide if he is more naive or moronic

Popps
05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
It doesn't matter. It's not important. If he doesn't want to go, don't go.

No one is arguing that.

What's in play is his reasoning and his choice to make that reasoning public, hence subject to public opinion.

Houshyamama
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
So Harrison is upset that they only invited the Steelers because they won the Super Bowl? :spit: Ok, you go pout about that, Harrison.

By that reasoning, shouldn't he be upset every single citizen isn't offered the opportunity? I don't understand. Are NFL players royalty now?

Bronx33
05-17-2009, 02:46 PM
By that reasoning, shouldn't he be upset every single citizen isn't offered the opportunity? I don't understand. Are NFL players royalty now?

If i get an invite to the white house iam going to politely decline. :P

cabronco
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe in his mind, he's more important than the Prez, and bigger than the White House. In fact if anything they should all go to his crib and shake his hand.

oubronco
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM

**** Obama

Beantown Bronco
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Bumping this for a specific reason.

I just read an article about the Pittsburgh Steelers releasing pics of the new SB ring they just made up. I'm curious.....will Harrison choose not accept his ring because "they would've made rings for the Cards if they won the game"? I don't think so.

Gcver2ver3
06-10-2009, 02:19 PM

that is some of the dumbest logic i've ever seen...

so does that mean he won't accept his SB ring because had the Cards won the ring would've went to them?...

it's called a privilege for winning genius...

but at least he's consistent...

Gcver2ver3
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Bumping this for a specific reason.

I just read an article about the Pittsburgh Steelers releasing pics of the new SB ring they just made up. I'm curious.....will Harrison choose not accept his ring because "they would've made rings for the Cards if they won the game"? I don't think so.

oh crap...looks like you beat me to it...:D ...

Rohirrim
06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
What an ass. Someday perhaps, if he ever wises up, he'll realize what a fool he was. Forget the politics and all the other crap. It's his opportunity to shake hands with the President of the United States and walk through the house that Lincoln once lived and worked in. Not to mention every president since then. It's part of our American heritage. If he can't see that, he's a fool.

Garcia Bronco
06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
What an ass. Someday perhaps, if he ever wises up, he'll realize what a fool he was. Forget the politics and all the other crap. It's his opportunity to shake hands with the President of the United States and walk through the house that Lincoln once lived and worked in. Not to mention every president since then. It's part of our American heritage. If he can't see that, he's a fool.

HE can take the tour like everybody. Heck I've been in their several times. It's really cool, but not a big deal.

Rohirrim
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
HE can take the tour like everybody. Heck I've been in their several times. It's really cool, but not a big deal.

That's a shame. For you. I would hope it would be a big deal to most Americans. It's our history, and our heritage. If we don't uphold it, nobody else will.