PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Decade

loborugger
05-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Ok, we have about 7 1/2 months left in this year. So, I might be jumping the gun a bit. But, I doubt it. I dont think anything that happens this summer/fall - short of thermonuclear war - is going to really shape the decade. So, I am taking a stab at it.

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, the Iraqi War, & a black man in the WH. I am gonna go with the Iraq War.

2. Biggest/best sports story. For Broncos fans, I think it would be Denver hosting a first ever Playoff game in their new digs, & defeating the previously undefeated - in the play offs - Pats. In the greater world, I think it comes down to the Sox ending the curse or Lance Armstrong. I am gonna go with Lance, cuz that is something everyone can get behind.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. The Departed.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Like a Stone by Audioslave

5. Best Album of the Decade (showing my age here with that term). Stadium Arcadium by the Peppers.

6. Best Book of the Decade. I am an avid reader, but I cant think of any one book that stuck out amongst the others. So, I leave that out there for everyone else to mull over.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Love him or hate him, I have to go with Karl Rove. I think he more than any other human being on the planet put his stamp on this decade.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. I watch little TV, but I have come to really enjoy 2 and Half Men.

There a ton of other categories, feel free to add as you like.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Ok, we have about 7 1/2 months left in this year. So, I might be jumping the gun a bit. But, I doubt it. I dont think anything that happens this summer/fall - short of thermonuclear war - is going to really shape the decade. So, I am taking a stab at it.

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, the Iraqi War, & a black man in the WH. I am gonna go with the Iraq War.

2. Biggest/best sports story. For Broncos fans, I think it would be Denver hosting a first ever Playoff game in their new digs, & defeating the previously undefeated - in the play offs - Pats. In the greater world, I think it comes down to the Sox ending the curse or Lance Armstrong. I am gonna go with Lance, cuz that is something everyone can get behind.

All excellent choices, though I would opt for the Red Sox, and 9/11 over the Iraq War. There's always a war, but 9/11 was unique.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. The Departed.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Like a Stone by Audioslave

5. Best Album of the Decade (showing my age here with that term). Stadium Arcadium by the Peppers.
Unlike the news categories above, These categories are too taste-specific to pick one, as reasonable minds may differ in matters of taste.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Love him or hate him, I have to go with Karl Rove. I think he more than any other human being on the planet put his stamp on this decade.
Can't argue with that, he had a massive influence on the country and the world.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. I watch little TV, but I have come to really enjoy 2 and Half Men.

Hate Charlie Sheen, just hate hiim.

loborugger
05-16-2009, 07:22 AM
The music and movie - that is subjective. I was just giving my favs. Everyone varies.

As for Sheen, I understand not liking the guy. Which is why I didnt watch the sow for years. But one day, I was walking thru the room, my wife was watching it, and I was hooked.

Think about - 10 years ago, there were people hunkering down and buying food, batteries, firearms, etc cuz the world was gonna end due to the Y2K thing.

BroncosinDC
05-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Think about - 10 years ago, there were people hunkering down and buying food, batteries, firearms, etc cuz the world was gonna end due to the Y2K thing.

I'm pretty sure half this board did that when Cutler was traded as well.

gunns
05-16-2009, 12:22 PM

It's hard to come up with a list because of lot of it is everyone's preference, especially in the movie, book and TV show category. But with out being bias, based on being number 1 almost every year it's been on in this past decade, have to go with American Idol. Of course there could be several categories for TV, this one would be in reality series.

rovolution
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
the last Harry Potter book for best book. kind of symbolizes how popular the Potter series was in this decade and got kids excited about reading again

Mr.Meanie
05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
For me:

Best book series of the decade: Song of Ice and Fire
Best tv show of the decade: Battlestar Galactica
Best album: Toss up between Hail to the thief (Radiohead), Marshall Mathers LP, and Lateralus (Tool)
Biggest/Best sports story: Tiger Woods' incredible run in '08
Best technological advances: Cheap wifi/broadband, smartphones

slyinky
05-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Hate Charlie Sheen, just hate hiim.
He once spilled a drink on me at the W Hotel in Hollywood. He was actually very apologetic after I gave him a 'what the F' stare, actually kind of felt bad and told him don't worry about it. Anyway, why do you hate him? I'm not a fan or anything, just curious.

sutoazul
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Best book of the decade has to be The Da Vinci Code... it has broken all the records.

I can't stand Charlie Sheen either, two & a half men is ok, but I have to agree that American Idol would be the best (by popularity only) of the decade, even though I have never watched an episode.

DenverBrit
05-16-2009, 01:37 PM

You may be right, but Rove is a pig, so let's go with a 'positive' influence. ;D

I'll go with J.K Rowling who has influenced more people with her books than Rove could ever dream of.

As of June 2008, the book series has sold more than 400 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages,[2][3] and the last four books have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter

ZONA
05-16-2009, 01:47 PM
2000-2009 will go down as one of the most lopsided and unique decades in U.S. history.

You start things off with a very controversial presidential election and quite possibly one of the most ignorant politicians of all times becomes our president. We then see the most savage attack on U.S. soil on 9/11 while our president is caught on live video trying to hide in his own mind and pretend it didn't happen. Later on our leader falsifies information to the public and declares war with another country who had nothing to do with the 9/11 attack, stating that this war would be over before it started and cost us very little. It turned out to last the entire decade, costing thousands upon thousands of innocent lives, cost to the U.S. tax payer over a trillion dollars and still counting. We continue to deregulate until the camels back finally broke. The greed of many individuals who have such high rank and power finally ruin the day of blue collar America. The country's employment #'s and financial standing plummet faster then ever as our economy compares to that of the great depression. Then the people finally become wise and are sick of hearing the same old worn out right wing lies during the next presidential race. Tired of being lied to and preached to about fears that do not really exist. The people, by the largest landslide in presidential history, elect a new kind of leader. Somebody who is actually educated and intelligent. Just because you went to college doesn't mean you became educated while you were there. America finally sees that our wars all over the country, and uncontrolled deregulation, are costing us our country. So from the start of the decade, where it seemed a large proportion of this country was still fine with corporations growing stronger, having more control over our economy, continued deregulation and the wealthy getting richer, it seems most people have finally stepped forward and said enough is enough. Let's hope the next decade we continue to keep trying to fix America and instead of going back to the old right wing days of trying to fix the world.

CoopDawg
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Biggest news story of the Decade: I think the election of President Obama and 9/11 are tied. Those two events stand out to me as having the biggest impact.

Biggest/best Sports Story: The Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Biggest/Best Broncos Story: Beating the Patriots at home in the playoffs.

Best Book of the Decade: Harry Potter Series.

Most influential person in the Decade: Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, he is the swing vote on 5-4 rulings from the court.

Best TV show of the Decade: LOST

loborugger
05-16-2009, 02:16 PM
It's hard to come up with a list because of lot of it is everyone's preference, especially in the movie, book and TV show category. But with out being bias, based on being number 1 almost every year it's been on in this past decade, have to go with American Idol. Of course there could be several categories for TV, this one would be in reality series.

Well, thats the point... put down your list.

Atlas
05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
This is done waay too early. Mine will be the Nuggets winning the NBA Championship.

maher_tyler
05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure half this board did that when Cutler was traded as well.

Hilarious!

Popps
05-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Too early, but for events... 9/11 is definitely the biggest event of this decade as far as single events go.

Though, the sub-prime mortgage/CDO financial melt-down will prove to be the largest event this country (and probably the globe) will witness in this decade.

9/11 was a human tragedy for the U.S.... but the financial melt-down will affect this (and other) countries for years to come.

maher_tyler
05-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Biggest news story of the Decade: I think the election of President Obama and 9/11 are tied. Those two events stand out to me as having the biggest impact.

Biggest/best Sports Story: The Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Biggest/Best Broncos Story: Beating the Patriots at home in the playoffs.

Best Book of the Decade: Harry Potter Series.

Most influential person in the Decade: Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, he is the swing vote on 5-4 rulings from the court.

Best TV show of the Decade: LOST

Though the Giants beating the Pats was awesome...you gotta go with the Red Sox first Championship in like 86 years or whatever it was..not to mention they were down 3-0 to the Yankees and came back to beat them..it was damn near a miricle!!

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 03:34 PM
He once spilled a drink on me at the W Hotel in Hollywood. He was actually very apologetic after I gave him a 'what the F' stare, actually kind of felt bad and told him don't worry about it. Anyway, why do you hate him? I'm not a fan or anything, just curious.
Interesting, did he even buy you a drink?

I don't like him because, a) he's a silver spoon with little if any evident talent, b) I know an AP who worked on The Arrival who had a "negative experience," so to speak, c) he can't keep it in his pants, and d) although it's a pretty funny line, his statement, "you don't pay to have sex with prostitutes, you pay to make them leave," is pretty misogynistic.

Too early, but for events... 9/11 is definitely the biggest event of this decade as far as single events go.

Definitely, I don't think it's even close actually.

gyldenlove
05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, nothing put the world into more a halt than 9/11 and nothing had a bigger impact on the decade than 9/11.

2. Biggest/best sports story. 18-1, the accomplishment of winning 18 games in a row and then losing the big one.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
3b. Best Non-English Movie of the Decade. Pan's labyrinth.

4. Best Song of the Decade.

5. Best Album of the Decade.

6. Best Book of the Decade. Ringworld's children, Larry Niven.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Dick Cheney.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. Corner Gas.

Inkana7
05-16-2009, 05:18 PM
1. Biggest news story of the Decade - 9/11. September 11th, 2001 started this whole avalanche of events that we've experienced. It was the spark.

2. Biggest/best sports story- Michael Phelps. What he accomplished will be hard to top, ever. It took 30 years for him to top Spitz, it might be longer for someone to top him. Plus the 08 Olympics were awesome. That's the most entertainment I've ever gotten from sports.

3. Best Movie of the Decade - The Dark Knight. Just an unbelievable movie. From the script, to the acting, to the production. Everything was perfect.

4. Best Song of the Decade - Good question. I'm not a big fan of current music. I'll probably go with "Desecration Smile" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

5. Best Album of the Decade - Modern Times - Bob Dylan.

6. Best Book of the Decade - Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. Go buy it, now. It's unbelievably good.

7. Most influential person in the Decade - Gotta go with Karl Rove here. He was the puppet master that dictated how the world worked for 8 years. 2nd Place goes to either Osama Bin Laden, or Vladamir Putin.

8. Best TV show of the Decade -House. ****ing awesome show.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
You could argue OBL the most influential person .....

Dexter
05-16-2009, 05:31 PM
1. Biggest news story of the Decade. 9/11 So many things changed because of this day.

2. Biggest/best sports story. Michael Phelps in the Olympics.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. Lord of the Rings Return of the king

4. Best Song of the Decade. Believe by The Bravery

5. Best Album of the Decade: Rise Against Appeal to reason

6. Best Book of the Decade. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

7. Most influential person in the Decade. I can't really pick one.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. This is a 3 way tie for me. Smallville, Dexter or The Big Bang Theory.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
L O S T

That's my personal "TV Show of the Decade."

MagicHef
05-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Best sports story has to be Phelps.

maher_tyler
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Best sports story has to be Phelps.

We should break it down into individuals and teams then...because the Sox after being down 3-0 to the Yankees of all teams to come back and win that series was remarkable in itself but then win the World Series after not winning one for 86 years..my great grandparents were 6 when the Sox won their last championship prior to that one!!

ohiobronco2
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Finally somebody got it right. :D

Inkana7
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I love House, but the storylines have SUCH a predictable arc:

1. Patient comes in under strange, almost X-Files-like circumstances
2. Does House want the case? Maybe, the underlings but she'll have to cut four clinic hours
3. The team meest at the table, one is late, House needles

Says the fan of a show that features a polar bear on a tropical island. Unpredictable? Yes. Stupid? Very much so.

God I hate Lost.

SportinOne
05-16-2009, 10:53 PM
1. Biggest news story of the Decade. If, in 1999, you said that A. The trade center would be toppled by terrorists flying commercial airplanes that they hijacked and B. We would have a black president, I think "A" sounds much less likely. So I will go with that, as news is measured by its shock value these days. Although I certainly think "B" is a much better story for obvious reasons. The war, like someone said, was just a war...

2. Biggest/best sports story. For the Broncos it has got to be the offseason 2009. Yes, the first playoff game was wonderful, I was there. But this offseason: Shanahan fired/McD hired/Cutler traded was a much bigger story than our first playoff game. As for the rest of sports, The Red Sox 3-0 comeback should have been at the top but Steroids has now trumped it.. especially since at least one of their best players was probably using at the time. Second Place: Lance, Third Place: Phelps Fourth Place: The autistic kid who finally got to play a game and dropped like 21 points.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. I really liked The Departed. But, as stated above, this is entirely subjective. I really can't think of anything better off the top of my head, but I'm positive that I've seen something that I liked more. Edit later when/if my memory returns.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Thinking. Thinking. There are too many greats, but I will go with "Wordless Chorus" by My Morning Jacket with the stipulation that it has to be a live version that is post release of the album "Z". Jim James really developed his vocals on the tour following the album's release and nearly all of the live recordings are much better than the already-fantastic studio version. Also, the lyrics really sum up what our culture has become this past decade.

5. Best Album of the Decade. My Morning Jacket - "Z" Beginning to end, a wonderful musical experience.

6. Best Book of the Decade. Probably more subjective than anyhing else on here since a book will reveal itself to each person in a different way. I can't pick right now.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Washington, Lincoln, Franklin.. catch my drift?

8. Best TV show of the Decade. While I really enjoy the Office, hands down the best TV Show, for me, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

SportinOne
05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Says the fan of a show that features a polar bear on a tropical island. Unpredictable? Yes. Stupid? Very much so.

God I hate Lost.

Both of those shows are awful.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I love House too, but the storylines follow SUCH a predictable arc:

Patient comes into Princeton-Plainsboro with extremely unusual, almost X-Files-like symptoms
Will House take the case? The underlings wonder. They debate whether he'll be interested, and what his motives will be to take or reject the patient.
House first says no, dismisses it as too easy, "give him some penicillin and send him home" But then somebody throws out the strange/twisted curveball as they hand him the file, and suddenly House is interested (closeup on pensive House's face)
The underlings gather round the table, House comes in and chooses one or two to bereate in witty fashion, as they each throw out their diagnostic opinions in competitive fashion. Kumar is/was always the guy they didn't listen to.
They decide it's cancer (they always think it's cancer at first), although one underling dissents from that diagnosis. Always. House insults the dissenter, then snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin into his mouth.
. . . . . (Commercial Break)
House goes to see Wilson (because they think it's cancer). House tricks Wilson into buying him lunch and/or borrows money from him, Wilson rolls his eyes and recites a list of necessary symptoms, all of which must present "or else it's not cancer." BroncoBuff notices the cool 'Vertigo' movie poster on the wall behind Wilson's desk, and thinks "I should get one of those."
House goes back to the meeting room, where in the meantime one of the underlings has grown a pair, and demands they MRI/treat for the cancer "before it's too late." After a brief pause, and pensive looks at one another, House says, "go."
Two of the underlings needle each other behind the glass of the MRI room, until something goes horribly wrong in the MRI ... "I need a crash cart in here!" They pull the patient out and save his life, and as the music swells, one of them dramatically says ... "I guess it's not cancer."
Leaning heavily on his cane, House leads the underlings on a circular walk 'round the hospital as the floor-level camera retreats in front of them "West Wing" style. So it's not cancer, then what is it? They decide between two diagnoses, one usually MS, the other usually scleroderma. House orders two of the underlings to go burglarize the patient's home to look for maybe rat poison spilled in his Cheerios or something. This scene always ends at the elevator with House puching the call button with his cane.
Cut to the patient's home, where two M.D.s with prestigious fellowships are breaking and entering. As they search the place, they argue/insult each other and House. They find something, but aren't sure if it matters.
They return and tell House what they found, prompting House to go to the patient's room to question/probe. "Oh, YOURE Doctor House," they always say. He haughtily questions the patient about their personal life and/or personal history, but then rudely mocks/dismisses whatever they say. Out in the hall, he snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin into his mouth, and tells an underling, "patients always lie."
Back in his office, where for some reason Wilson has joined the team. House pits two underlings against each other as he tosses an oversized tennis ball in the air. He decides one of them wins, "but the treatment is dangerous, he could die/be paralyzed/lose a limb if we're wrong," but a courageous House insists it must be done. "You'll need Cuddy's approval first," one of the underlings says.
House goes into Cuddy's office, or is waiting there invading her privacy when she walks in, "what do you want House?" House makes a comment about her ass, she rolls her eyes. He then asks to conduct the risky course of treatment. First she says no, and "this time I mean it, House." After some witty banter, she agrees, but only IF House does extra clinic hours.
House goes into the Clinic, snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin in his mouth. He picks up a file, rolls his eyes and enters the room, where some galactically stupid patient lists off the simplest symptoms, leading to a diagnosis even Popps could figure out, whereupon House mocks and insults the poor bastard as he writes a prescription, "next time wear a condom and it won't drip."
House then must get a family member's approval for the risky treatment. He tricks the family member into signing consent forms under false pretenses, because they're "too dumb to make the right decision if I tell them the truth," at which time one of the underlings objects with serious disapproval and shock.
The underlings go to the patient, and soothe him as they explain the risky procedure must be done, whereupon OMG!! A new emergency occurs with loud beeping and "blood pressure's dropping!" An animated interlude goes into the patient's body showing his veins melting or something. "I need a crash cart in here!"
The team is dejected, "we'll have to do surgery," House concludes. They all brace for the worst.
House has his feet up on Wilson's desk. "You have to treat Cuddy/other people better or you'll never be happy," Wilson says, and as he drones on, House has a EUREKA moment, and with wide eyes asks Wilson "what did you just say?!" "What, I said it's Groundhog Day." House jumps up and leaves ... whereupon he barges into the surgical suite and says, "Stop the operation! This patient has rodent-ectosis, a rare form of virus you get when you handle too many rodents!" Amazing! "You'll live after all," the underlings tell him.
Epilogue, with House getting on his motorcycle in the lot, or at House's apartment with him playing guitar or waiting for a hooker, and that's it.

See? These epsiodes practically write themselves ;D

Inkana7
05-16-2009, 11:46 PM
You could have watched 2 Houses in the time it took you to make that post.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
You could have watched 2 Houses in the time it took you to make that post.

No ... I told you, it writes itself.

Archer81
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
1. Biggest news story of the Decade. September 11th. Hands down.

2. Biggest/best sports story. Red Sox breaking the "curse"

3. Best Movie of the Decade. The entire LOTR trilogy.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Shadow on the Sun - (Audioslave)

5. Best Album of the Decade: 13 Stone

6. Best Book of the Decade. 7th Potter book.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Been a few.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. Rome on HBO, Heroes, ect.

:Broncos:

CHANGSTER
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
I love House too, but the storylines follow SUCH a predictable arc:

Patient comes into Princeton-Plainsboro with extremely unusual, almost X-Files-like symptoms
Will House take the case? The underlings wonder. They debate whether he'll be interested, and what his motives will be to take or reject the patient.
House first says no, dismisses it as too easy, "give him some penicillin and send him home" But then somebody throws out the strange/twisted curveball as they hand him the file, and suddenly House is interested (closeup on pensive House's face)
The underlings gather round the table, House comes in and chooses one or two to bereate in witty fashion, as they each throw out their diagnostic opinions in competitive fashion. Kumar is/was always the guy they didn't listen to.
They decide it's cancer (they always think it's cancer at first), although one underling dissents from that diagnosis. Always. House insults the dissenter, then snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin into his mouth.
House goes to see Wilson (because they think it's cancer). House tricks Wilson into buying him lunch and/or borrows money from him, Wilson rolls his eyes and recites a list of necessary symptoms, all of which must present "or else it's not cancer." BroncoBuff notices the cool 'Vertigo' movie poster on the wall behind Wilson's desk, and thinks "I should get one of those."
House goes back to the meeting room, where in the meantime one of the underlings has grown a pair, and demands they MRI/treat for the cancer "before it's too late." After a brief pause, and pensive looks at one another, House says, "go."
Two of the underlings needle each other behind the glass of the MRI room, until something goes horribly wrong in the MRI ... "I need a crash cart in here!" They pull the patient out and save his life, and as the music swells, one of them dramatically says ... "I guess it's not cancer."
Leaning heavily on his cane, House leads the underlings on a circular walk 'round the hospital as the floor-level camera retreats in front of them "West Wing" style. So it's not cancer, then what is it? They decide between two diagnoses, one usually MS, the other usually scleroderma. House orders two of the underlings to go burglarize the patient's home to look for maybe rat poison spilled in his Cheerios or something. This scene always ends at the elevator with House puching the call button with his cane.
Cut to the patient's home, where two M.D.s with prestigious fellowships are breaking and entering. As they search the place, they argue/insult each other and House. They find something, but aren't sure if it matters.
They return and tell House what they found, prompting House to go to the patient's room to question/probe. "Oh, YOURE Doctor House," they always say. He haughtily questions the patient about their personal life and/or personal history, but then rudely mocks/dismisses whatever they say. Out in the hall, he snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin into his mouth, and tells an underling, "patients always lie."
Back in his office, where for some reason Wilson has joined the team. House pits two underlings against each other as he tosses an oversized tennis ball in the air. He decides one of them wins, "but the treatment is dangerous, he could die/be paralyzed/lose a limb if we're wrong," but a courageous House insists it must be done. "You'll need Cuddy's approval first," one of the underlings says.
House goes into Cuddy's office, or is waiting there invading her privacy when she walks in, "what do you want House?" House makes a comment about her ass, she rolls her eyes. He then asks to conduct the risky course of treatment. First she says no, and "this time I mean it, House." After some witty banter, she agrees, but only IF House does extra clinic hours.
House goes into the Clinic, snaps his neck back throwing Vicodin in his mouth. He picks up a file, rolls his eyes and enters the room, where some galactically stupid patient lists off the simplest symptoms, leading to a diagnosis even Popps could figure out, whereupon House mocks and insults the poor bastard as he writes a prescription, "next time wear a condom and it won't drip."
House then must get a family member's approval for the risky treatment. He tricks the family member into signing consent forms under false pretenses, because they're "too dumb to make the right decision if I tell them the truth," at which time one of the underlings objects with serious disapproval and shock.
The underlings go to the patient, and soothe him as they explain the risky procedure must be done, whereupon OMG!! A new emergency occurs with loud beeping and "blood pressure's dropping!" An animated interlude goes into the patient's body showing his veins melting or something. "I need a crash cart in here!"
The team is dejected, "we'll have to do surgery," House concludes. They all brace for the worst.
House has his feet up on Wilson's desk. "You have to treat Cuddy/other people better or you'll never be happy," Wilson says, and as he drones on, House has a EUREKA moment, and with wide eyes asks Wilson "what did you just say?!" "What, I said it's Groundhog Day." House jumps up and leaves ... whereupon he barges into the surgical suite and says, "Stop the operation! This patient has rodent-ectosis, a rare form of virus you get when you handle too many rodents!" Amazing! "You'll live after all," the underlings tell him.
Epilogue, with House getting on his motorcycle in the lot, or at House's apartment with him playing guitar or waiting for a hooker, and that's it.

See? These epsiodes practically write themselves ;D

ROFL! Bravo! I found that very entertaining.
Though I also found the length and detail in that a tad bit troubling....

Anyways, really like House but Lost would be my best of decade. Even if you hate how hyped it is, its just really well made.

BroncoBuff
05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
ROFL! Bravo! I found that very entertaining.
Though I also found the length and detail in that a tad bit troubling.....

Too much time on my hands ... ???

CHANGSTER
05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Too much time on my hands ... ???

Yeh, you and me both.

Kid A
05-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Anyways, really like House but Lost would be my best of decade. Even if you hate how hyped it is, its just really well made.

My case for Lost being one of the best (or at least most important) TV series this decade is it's entire approach the idea of television. Half the fun of Lost is the time in-between episodes: dissecting the dozens of literary/historical allusions, trying to piece together clues, going online to the countless fake websites and games set up by ABC that give more hints.

EW.com has a great analysis after every episode where they point out the allusions, important clues and recurring ideas I completely missed while watching. And I enjoy that almost as much as the show itself. The characters, production values, plot lines, etc. are all top notch, but Lost really is more of a nationally broadcast game/puzzle of sorts that we're all trying to unravel.

Personally, I really like it. The twisting mythologies, the references to episodes three years ago, etc. is all a lot of fun to talk about and watch unfold. Plenty of people, though, hate it. They just want a TV show with a more straight forward story that doesn't jerk them around so much. There are plenty of incredible TV shows that do that. Lost is something different altogether. Take it for what it is.

The thing is, at this point things are so utterly complicated and over-the-top that you can't possibly watch the show unless you've already committed time to watching most of the previous seasons. So haters are firmly on the outside, and devotees feel strongly compelled to follow it to the end.

BroncoBuff
05-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Nobody's mentioned The Sopranos?

Archer81
05-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Nobody's mentioned The Sopranos?

Last 3 seasons kind of killed the series.

:Broncos:

SportinOne
05-17-2009, 01:29 AM
The dumbing down of America:

3. Best Movie of the Decade. The entire LOTR trilogy. Other great Action: Batman Begins; Drama: A fave would be Aviator; Horror: the Descent; Comedy: Wedding Crashers, Little Miss Sunshine; Romance: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Side note: Stupidest/Worst movie of the Decade: Gigli

4. Best Song of the Decade. First Cut is the Deepest (Sheryl Crow)

5. Best Album of the Decade: American Idiot - Greenday

LOTR was solid, though.

gyldenlove
05-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Best Computer game of the Decade: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

DenverBrit
05-17-2009, 10:24 AM
God I hate Lost.

No kidding. I tried, I really did, but it's one long, incoherent soap.

Best shows?

Network TV: Boston legal and Two and a half men.
Cable: Dexter, Sopranos and The Wire.

KCStud
05-17-2009, 12:38 PM
L O S T

That's my personal "TV Show of the Decade."

I stopped watching it after season 4. It's like a cruel bitch. It just keeps leading you on and seducing you without telling you anything.

SportinOne
05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I will admit, with much guilt, that I really liked prison break for about two seasons. Once they made it out, though, it was just, well, about as predictable as house:

1. There is a problem.
2. Michael is the only one smart enough to solve it.
3. Michael creates master genius plan.
4. Something goes wrong with the plan.
5. A different character pitches in, and added to Micheals amazing ability to think clearly in stressful situations:
6. The problem is solved.

Bronx33
05-17-2009, 01:01 PM
The sopranos

BroncsRule
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
LOST is one of those shows you had to jump on at the begining. Twin Peaks is another example. If you tried to jump on later, you were, well,

lost.

:wiggle:

gyldenlove
05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Am the only surprised at the size of the "nuclear" bomb at the end of the last season? It was the size of a shoe. I don't pretend to be an armaments expert, but I do have a fair of knowledge about nuclear physics and that thing was no thermo-nuclear device.