PDA

View Full Version : OT: The BEST parent in America.

enjolras
05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm being serious.

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/96342/The_last_word_Advice_from_Americas_worst_mom

Rabb
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I am sure she gives him roids and lets him watch Ghostbusters as well

****ing creep

bfoflcommish
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
not sheltering him and letting him learn.....no arguements from me

Dagmar
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30763438/

Kaylore
05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't have kids and so know very little, but one thing I have always hated that parents teach their kids is "don't talk to strangers." That has to be the stupidest advice in the world. It's like programming your kid to be some kind of goth weirdo when he grows up.

rugbythug
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I have no problem with what she did.

Rabb
05-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't have kids and so know very little, but one thing I have always hated that parents teach their kids is "don't talk to strangers." That has to be the stupidest advice in the world. It's like programming your kid to be Bob when he grows up.

fixed

Beantown Bronco
05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
See she knew the train was safe because they don't play movies on the train. I heard on the light rail that she wouldn't let him fly in an airplane when he was younger because the in flight movie was Ghostbusters.

Jason in LA
05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Here in LA I see a number of kids around that age walking to school without their parents. I don't think it's a big deal.

My father always tells the story that he used to ride the street cars around LA when he was 10 years old. He and his friends would go pretty much where ever they wanted to... well, except for areas where it was known that blacks weren't welcomed.

Jason in LA
05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
See she knew the train was safe because they don't play movies on the train. I heard on the light rail that she wouldn't let him fly in an airplane when he was younger because the in flight movie was Ghostbusters.

The thread that keeps on giving. lol

Rabb
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't disagree with her line of thought, I would just be way too nervous with all the sick ****s out there in the world to let that happen. Hell I worry when my 17 year old walks 3 blocks to school.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't have kids and so know very little, but one thing I have always hated that parents teach their kids is "don't talk to strangers." That has to be the stupidest advice in the world. It's like programming your kid to be some kind of goth weirdo when he grows up.

I was taught not to make serious friends with people who weren't Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't think it's a coincidence I'm so ****ed up.

UberBroncoMan
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Damn......

rugbythug
05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

UGGHH. Hard to see what the parents are thinking. Still this is bad case law. I don't like the Gov't having the power to force medical procedures on people.

BFDD
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I have no problem with what she did.

Hold up... you let you kid at age 3 watch UFC, but have a problem with them watching Ghost Busters?

Then you don't have a problem with your kid riding on a NY city subway at the age of 9?

I'd say you have a parental compass malfunction.

slyinky
05-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually, I think kids have it too easy nowadays anyway.

They should lift the ban on lawn darts.
http://therawfeed.com/pix/lawn_darts.jpg

loborugger
05-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Well, somewhere between "dont talk to the strange guy in the 78 Camaro with a butterfly collared shirt that opens to his navel with a gold medallion hung around his neck, and dont talk to anyone, anywhere, at any time" is a happy medium. However, parents often come in on the side of caution as they dont want their children harmed. Its a natural instinct and it will be interesting to see where you land on this once you do have kids.

Archer81
05-15-2009, 06:33 PM
When my brother was 5 he was waiting for me at the end of our driveway so he could walk back with me when I got off the bus, before I got there the MP's pulled up and asked him if he was lost. Now keep in mind, the house we lived in was 40 feet right behind him. He didnt say a word to them, because they are strangers. So they pick him up, and I come home, and I walk in and ask where Nick is. MP's took him and had him sitting in the station, he wouldnt say a word to them until they promised him a cookie, and even then he only said his first name. But how hard is this for an MP? Each house had the name of the family living in it POSTED right there...

:Broncos:

spdirty
05-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Its tough. Where I live the fear is more mountain lions and bears than strange people. My kids are 6 and 3, and if they go out they have to tell me so i can keep an eye on em. I had an exact opposite belief before I had kids, but a nightmare happens every now and then or bigtime worries happen or bad thoughts of what could happen to the innocent little ones and it sometimes draws me to be overprotective. Plus what you see in the news about a 5 year old boy or a 7 year old little girl and think about what would happen if your kids ever got hurt, I can say this anything ever happens to either of my little guys and I would be suicidal.

So maybe as a relatively new parent thats where I am but I won't condemn this lady for doing what she did. She felt her son was ready and things went OK and her son is proud of himself. Cool.

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
That's why I'm glad I was born and raised in Rural Ohio. Boring, yes. But I got to run around free and independant. I could get dirty, scrape my knee, play cowboys and indians. I could do what I wanted, and I'm a perfectly functioning, highly intelligent person.

Don't coddle your damn kids.

Archer81
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
When we lived in virginia we spent every day for 3 summers at the pool from memorial day until labor day. best summers ever.

OABB
05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
most of the bad things that happen to kids are by someone they know anyways. they are probably safer with strangers.....

Popps
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.morethings.com/log/pictures/mj_dangles_baby.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
That's why I'm glad I was born and raised in Rural Ohio. Boring, yes. But I got to run around free and independant. I could get dirty, scrape my knee, play cowboys and indians. I could do what I wanted, and I'm a perfectly functioning, highly intelligent person.

Same here....I got to grow up in the sticks in Ohio....had a couple hundred acres of woods in my neighborhood to play in....I would not trade it for anything.

TailgateNut
05-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Hell I worry when my 17 year old walks 3 blocks to school.

WTF?

TDmvp
05-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Hell I worry when my 17 year old walks 3 blocks to school.

WTF?

It's natural to worry about them every time they leave ... normal I hear ...

http://koolkidsinc.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/boyz_n_the_hood.jpg (http://koolkidsinc.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/boyz_n_the_hood.jpg)

Rabb
05-16-2009, 11:21 AM
WTF?

What don't you get, the fact that she walks or the fact that I worry about her?

She walks because her smart assed mouth prevents her from driving :~ohyah!:

I worry because, well I am a dad. :thumbs:

24champ
05-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Not when it comes to basketball.:approve:

want2bAbronco2
05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I dont like coddling my kids, but I dont think I would let my daughter ride the train at age 9 either. I work in a prison and see way too many sick freaks. Just look at the 17yr old that was taken in NY (i think). Cant protect them forever, but should still protect them when you can.

Inkana7
05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Not when it comes to basketball.:approve:

Nah dude, my basketball takes are untouchably brilliant.

gyldenlove
05-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Most of the mouthbreathers out there who can't handle life are like that because they never figured out anything on their own. It is not like she stuck him a river boat in Angola and told him to find his way to New York with a stick of gum and a map of Papua New Guinea.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 05:44 PM
My brother lets his kids cuss if outside-of-family people aren't present ... plus he shows them samples of what's on channels he blocks, so they become less interested. Kids will work and work to find a way to get around roadblocks to secret things if you do block them ... it's best to make what's behind the roadblocks boring or even 'gross' so they lose interest and don't care.

All that said, he never wouldda let a 9-year old ride the subway alone :nono:

Archer81
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Being the son of a Marine, I heard interesting combination of words. When we got older and started to swear ourselves, he'd hear it once and awhile and wonder where we learned that...