PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos "other" QB

LonghornBronco
05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
You had too see this comming after all Simms is a lifetime longhorn, even though his time in austin was one the fans here would like to forget.

Here is a clip that epitomizes what you want in a big strong accurate McDanials QB...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy-files/09000d5d81047375/Fantasy-Files-Chris-Simms

But I can't forget how he would always have a short circuit when the the game was on the line. CU fans would be the first to tell you for all that Simms offered they would rather face him in a Big 12 championship game rather than diminutive Major Applewhite. And vs Oklahoma he vertually gave away big games. But who knows maybe all he lacked was maturity and some are just late bloomers...

SoonerBronco
05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
You had too see this comming after all Simms is a lifetime longhorn, even though his time in austin was one the fans here would like to forget.

Here is a clip that epitomizes what you want in a big strong accurate McDanials QB...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy-files/09000d5d81047375/Fantasy-Files-Chris-Simms

But I can't forget how he would always have a short circuit when the the game was on the line. CU fans would be the first to tell you for all that Simms offered they would rather face him in a Big 12 championship game rather than diminutive Major Applewhite. And vs Oklahoma he vertually gave away big games. But who knows maybe all he lacked was maturity and some are just late bloomers...

My Favorite Chris Simms play...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pick Six
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a very bad feeling about Simms. I know he has good NFL bloodlines. However, as you pointed out, he was a "less than feared" QB in college...

Mogulseeker
05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Seems like a high-character guy, but I like Orton more.

LonghornBronco
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about... Merry x-mas Sooner fans.

SoonerBronco
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about... Merry x-mas Sooner fans.

I would like to thank you for this post.

bowtown
05-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Isn't he married to Mike Shanahan's son?

DenverBrit
05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
That wasn't Simms' fault, it was a great play by Roy Williams.

Hopefully, Simms will have a better team around him this time.....one that doesn't do the 'Texas Choke'. Ha!

BroncoLifer
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
.... I know he has good NFL bloodlines. However, as you pointed out, he was a "less than feared" QB in college...

I hadn't thought of it this way before, but writing that the way you did reminds me of what was here 1999-2002. :thumbsdow

LonghornBronco
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
That wasn't Simms' fault, it was a great play by Roy Williams.

Hopefully, Simms will have a better team around him this time.....one that doesn't do the 'Texas Choke'. Ha!

I'm definitly going to have to dissagree with you. I think he tends to panic in pressure situations and just chucked that ball, bad move. And I do think that years team was very good on both sides of the ball and if Major played would have been in the mix at the end...

I just hope Simms has grown out of those panic attacks he would have.

Sacked by Croel
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Simms has more upside than Orton. He has better tools and a stronger arm. Additionally, Simms' 2005 numbers top anything Orton has done on a statisical level. I am pulling for Simms to win the job in camp.

DenverBrit
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm definitly going to have to dissagree with you. I think he tends to panic in pressure situations and just chucked that ball, bad move. And I do think that years team was very good on both sides of the ball and if Major played would have been in the mix at the end...

I just hope Simms has grown out of those panic attacks he would have.

I never really thought much of Simms, but that particular play was a train wreck created by RW.
Williams was in his face so quickly that although Simms was throwing to his hot read, he just didn't get it away cleanly.
But otherwise, I agree that he did panic on a lot of throws under pressure and OU looked forward to seeing him each year.......why can't McCoy be more like Simms? ;D
I also hope he has grown.......I suspect he has based on what I saw briefly from him in Tampa.

LonghornBronco
05-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Yea McCoy looks good I was hoping we would take him with our pick in 2010 draft but McD screwed the pooch on that one too...

Drek
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Simms was definitely a choker in college, but somehow he stopped doing that and became a capable game managing QB who lead teams to success even when he himself wasn't having the best games once he got a shot to start with Tampa.

He's very far removed from his days at UT, trying to gauge him as a QB from that time in his life is a reach at best. He's shown toughness in the NFL in clutch games and he's shown toughness off the field as it pertained to his near fatal injury. He's a fighter and would be a worthy starter if he out plays Orton for the job.

Florida_Bronco
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Simms was definitely a choker in college, but somehow he stopped doing that and became a capable game managing QB who lead teams to success even when he himself wasn't having the best games once he got a shot to start with Tampa.

He's very far removed from his days at UT, trying to gauge him as a QB from that time in his life is a reach at best. He's shown toughness in the NFL in clutch games and he's shown toughness off the field as it pertained to his near fatal injury. He's a fighter and would be a worthy starter if he out plays Orton for the job.

Agreed 100%.

Pony Boy
05-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Interesting note about Chris Simms. Simms and Texans' offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

That's just a little too guy for me.

Hulamau
05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Simms has more upside than Orton. He has better tools and a stronger arm. Additionally, Simms' 2005 numbers top anything Orton has done on a statisical level. I am pulling for Simms to win the job in camp.

Simms oline wasn't a total joke at Tampa Bay like Ortons in Chicago. Watch any of Ortons highlights in Chi and he has about 3 microseconds to get his ass out of Dodge or chunk the ball.

montrose
05-15-2009, 11:52 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/football/nfl/09/09/risers.sliders/t2.fresno.icon.jpg

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 02:24 AM
This is exactly what I've seen from him. Like I've posted several times, I watched most of Simms starts on the Ticket in '05 and early '06, and I was very impressed. He has a field-general type of personality ... and he handled Jon Gruden's vindictive treatment of him after the injury pretty well I thought.

I think everyone will be surprised ... I predict he'll win the job and be pretty good for us.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Interesting note about Chris Simms. Simms and Texans' offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

That's just a little too guy for me.

It wasn't just those two, there were several UT guys who got the tattoos, including Bo Scaife.

Cito Pelon
05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
This is exactly what I've seen from him. Like I've posted several times, I watched most of Simms starts on the Ticket in '05 and early '06, and I was very impressed. He has a field-general type of personality ... and he handled Jon Gruden's vindictive treatment of him after the injury pretty well I thought.

I think everyone will be surprised ... I predict he'll win the job and be pretty good for us.

Simms couldn't beat out Young and Collins for the starting job in Tenn. But he's a capable backup. :wiggle:

He'll get his chance to compete, but I think Orton will win the job. He's just a better QB.

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Simms couldn't beat out Young and Collins for the starting job in Tenn. But he's a capable backup. :wiggle:

He'll get his chance to compete, but I think Orton will win the job. He's just a better QB.

The nice part about this disagreement is that one of us will be right in just a couple of months.

Cito Pelon
05-16-2009, 10:35 AM
The nice part about this disagreement is that one of us will be right in just a couple of months.

FOUR months.

Can you ever get your gotdang facts straight? ;)

Do you have any idea what the value of precision and factuality is?

AlphaOmega
05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lSKImsNd1k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lSKImsNd1k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LonghornBronco
05-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I remember that game well. I had just moved to Austin and was still a Buff's fan at that point. Now even though I'm a longhorn I still have a soft spot for the Buff's. Heres to the Buff's vs UT for the big twelve next year, OU and Nebraska can suck eggs!!!

BroncoBuff
05-16-2009, 06:26 PM
FOUR months.

Can you ever get your gotdang facts straight? ;)

Do you have any idea what the value of precision and factuality is?

Nope ... I think we'll know by August 16, August 24 at the latest.

FOUR months from now is the second regular season game.

FOUR months from now we'll all be headed in for the OM Weekend.

Knothead.

Cito Pelon
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Nope ... I think we'll know by August 16, August 24 at the latest.

FOUR months from now is the second regular season game.

FOUR months from now we'll all be headed in for the OM Weekend.

Knothead.

Dude, the last preseason game is Sept. 3, first reg season game is Sept. 13.

So we'll know for absolutely certain in roughly FOUR months.

But, you could be right we'll have a pretty good idea of who the front-runner is by the second preseason game.

Bonehead.

Florida_Bronco
05-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Heres to the Buff's vs UT for the big twelve next year

ROFL! LOL Hilarious! :~ohyah!:

Archer81
05-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Isn't he married to Mike Shanahan's son?

Yup. Had a lovely wedding in canada...

:Broncos:

BroncoBuff
05-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Dude, the last preseason game is Sept. 3, first reg season game is Sept. 13.

So we'll know for absolutely certain in roughly FOUR months.
"Roughly," eh? ROFL!

Knothead, we won't be naming a starter two weeks into the regular season, that's ridiculous.

The starter will be named in the pre-season, probably after the second game, which is THREE months and 5 days from now. Count much?