PDA

View Full Version : Eminem Relapse Album Review

Taco John
05-15-2009, 02:46 AM
For the Eminem and Rap fans out there...

So I've listened to the new Eminem album about a dozen times, and I have to say that I think the album is brilliant. It's not perfect, but it's an effort that comes in at the A level.

To give some perspective, I really liked his Slim Shady LP, but I thought it was very rough around the edges and that he still hadn't pushed the level of his talent yet. I thought he came into his own with the Marshall Mathers LP, perfecting his style and gaining absolute control of his lyrical flow. To me, the MMLP is his best album, though I think he showed absolute mastery of his craft with The Eminem Show. The problem that I had with the Eminem Show was that I thought it was a little *too* slick and over produced. I love the album, to be sure, but it doesn't have the organic feel that The MMLP has. Encore, I thought, was terrible in comparison to all of them. I liked some of the stuff on there, but Eminem had said anything interesting that I thought he could say at that point in time. To me, he hit the wall that every successful rapper is bound to hit: we've heard it, you've got nothing new to say, and you're so rich that you no longer have street cred anymore. Frankly, I had thought Eminem had done the right thing by closing the book on his career and only doing small projects and producing (ala Dr. Dre).

Boy am I glad I was wrong about that.

This new album, while containing some of the same themes we've seen in the old album (namely the drug use of his mother and its fallout in his life), contains a lot of new and fresh stuff and gives listeners a peek into the world of Eminem since his pseudo-retirement.

The album is essentially therapy for Eminem, with the major theme being his relapse into the world of drug addiction and prescription pill popping. There's a lot of hate and anger in this album, and he hits you in the face with it right out of the gates, but what you find as you journey through those gates is that the deeper into the album you get, the more he aims that hate and anger at himself.

The first three songs absolutely put my jaw in my lap - the first song being an anthem to mass murdering. It's not a particularly new theme for Eminem, but it does have a more graphic edge to it than his past stabs at this theme (sadly, the pun was intended). The music and lyrics come together in a very haunting way that made me seriously question the guys sanity. But he doesn't stop there. As you leave 3am with the image of Eminem being a deranged psycopath who is ready to butcher people in a drug induced black-out, he does something very interesting by leading you back in time with the songs "My Mom" (My Mom does valium and lots of drugs, that's why I'm on what I'm on, cuz I'm my mom), where Eminem talks about how he has inherited his drug addiction from his mother. From there, he blows the hinges off the door with the song "Insane," where Eminem reveals a history of being sexually abused by a step father (If you could count the Skeletons in my closet). By this time my jaw was in my lap.

The first three tracks hit me like a ton of bricks, and I thought the album was going to be very heavy. Eminem doesn't necessarily lighten the load, but from this point on you no longer feel like you're staring alone at a dead baby in a dumpster. The next song, Bagpipes from Baghdad flashes to the not so recent past where Eminem does a little of his usual Slim Shady celebrity bashing stuff. It's a catchy beat, but not a particularly strong song. The most interesting thing is that he reveals that he's been clean and sober for at least a year now (who’s-gonna-go-see-the-doctor first? we’ll do a coin flip, i just got my one year sobriety coin chip).

The next song on the album, called "Hello," is a sort of re-introduction to Eminem. It's a very good song with some double meaning to it. The question is whether or not he's reintroducing himself to the fans, or re-introducing himself to the pill addiction (as though it were a person). It's an excellent song, and he doesn't hold back as he reveals how low things got for him:

I lose a pill and I'm recklessly wrecking the house
That was supposed to be breakfast where the heck is it now?
There's the necklace I lost, right next to Stephanie's blouse.
Man I should check to see if my mum left any out
Nope! Guess I'll reroute
Maybe somewhere in the depths of the couch
oooh, Jackpot, yeah
Open Sesame mouth!

In the song, he reveals that his recent "pnemonia" bout was actually an overdose situation where he had to be rushed to the hospital.

The album then takes another dark turn, as Eminem flashes back into his mass murdering persona with a skit about a stranded girl getting into the wrong car with the wrong person, and leading into "Same Song and Dance" where he basically kills Lindsay Lohan and Brittney Spears. By this time, the mass murdering schtick has worn a little thin, and the album leads into the Radio Pop friendly "We Made You." I'm not a big fan of Eminem's radio pop. I understand why he has to do it, and I think that he's very good at it. But I don't find it particularly interesting - and certainly not compelling. But it can be fun when I'm in the right mood. This one, in my opinion, is one of his better radio pop efforts, so at least there is that. But by this time in the album, I was starting to tune out a little bit.

The next song provides the funniest moment in the album, when Eminem gives Christopher Reeves the last word by rapping AS Reeves, complete with robotic voice and long drawn out mechanical breaths. Needless to say I was shocked but tickled by the picture he paints of Reeves battle rapping against him:

Eminem I'm coming to kill you [long mechanical breath]
Always hated you and I still do
You'll never fill my shoes my superman costume [long mechanical breath]
Doesn't even fit you they don't feel you
You're takign this **** to far [long mechanical breath]
Who do you think you are
Hang my suit up in the armoire
Everday I hate you more and more
Throw down the cardboard
Let's break dance if you think you're hardcore

The Paul Berman skit after this is probably the funniest moment of any of his albums.

From this point on, the album maintains a high level of interest. Stay Wide Awake continues the horror theme of the album - which really comes off to me as a self defense mechanism to protect himself from just how much of his soul he bares on the table (especially later on in the album, with Deja Vu).

Old Times Sake is a great collaboration with Dre that I think is one of the best they've done together. Must Be the Ganja has a good beat, flow, and is pretty catchy.

The album climaxes here with Deja Vu, which I think is probably one of the best songs of Eminem's career. It starts with a skit that is essentially a recreation of the scene where the paramedics are treating him for overdose as they start to rush him to the hospital. He goes from the extremes of painting himself as an evil murderer, to this song in which he completely bears his soul showing just how vulnerable he is. I think the song is brilliant. The beat is spot on. The flow is absolutely superb. The lyrics are deep and penetrating. When someone asks me why I listen to Eminem, this song is a good one to offer up as a damn good reason. The whole experience of this song is hypnotic and it just gets better with each and every listen as you're drawn deeper and deeper into the lyrics and the thoughts behind the lyrics. I can't say enough about how great this song is.

The next two songs are anti-climatic, but still worthy efforts. Beautiful seems like a song he wrote for his girls, which I dig. And then Crack a Bottle is the star studded reprise to the album, featuring Dre and 50 Cent.

At the end of the day, I find that each time I listen to the album, I like it more and more. It's what I wish The Eminem Show was (with the Eminem Show being Encore, and Encore being some B-sides that never made it into an album).

The bottom line is that it's a worthy effort. Eminem has reinvented himself with an album that fans will appreciate. This isn't the cruise control album that Encore was. This is Marshall Mathers working his ass off to produce something worth releasing, and definitely worth listening to.

4.5 stars.

broncofan7
05-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Link? lol

footstepsfrom#27
05-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Nick Canon sends his best.

alkemical
05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Good review, i'll check it out.

In some ways i find it very interesting with what Em raps about - and i feel that even though in his music is "hip-hop" - in some ways i find it to be the most metal/punk thing i've ever heard.

supermanhr9
05-15-2009, 07:15 AM
this album is out?

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 07:31 AM
I like Eminem's music a lot.

He is pretty talented.

I will pick up the new album.

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 07:35 AM
this album is out?

I think it comes out on 5/19/2009.

Dagmar
05-15-2009, 07:36 AM
this album is out?

From the shady corners of the interwebs... for about a week now.

FADERPROOF
05-15-2009, 07:39 AM
WOW, not to downplay your review but your are the first to say that relapse is even bearable, let alone "brilliant." I've asked plenty of people to get different opinions, yet so far its been unanimous that this is by far his worst CD.

alkemical
05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
WOW, not to downplay your review but your are the first to say that relapse is even bearable, let alone "brilliant." I've asked plenty of people to get different opinions, yet so far its been unanimous that this is by far his worst CD.

yeah, but how many people don't like when things are done different either.

They'd rather buy the same 400 ACDC cd's or the last 7 godsmack CD's.

FADERPROOF
05-15-2009, 08:22 AM

true but eminem has changed a lot from CD to CD and the vast majority has always loved them, just seems that this is just not good.

El Guapo
05-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I always prefer trying to "acquire" it first, and review it. If it's good, I'll purchase it.

Thanks for the review.

Conklin
05-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Link? lol

http://rapidshare.com/files/232957906/e.rar

you'll need winrar to open it

Taco John
05-15-2009, 09:10 AM

I hadn't read any other reviews because I didn't want them to taint my own experience... But since you mentioned it, I did a search for the Rolling Stone review, and they gave him high marks:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/28068084/review/28123843/relapse

The album definitely isn't for everyone. I think Eminem purposefully tried to scare off people with it. I don't even think it's an album created for fans. I think it's an album created for himself to clear his own head and his own demons, and taking the listener along for the ride.

For my part, this CD is definitely well worth the purchase.

BMarsh615
05-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I was a huge Eminem fan when I was in high school. I have memorized well over 200 Eminem songs...

But I have been disappointed with pretty much every one of his major releases after the Marshall Mathers LP, Devils Night (D12's album), and the 8 mile Soundtrack.

There were only a couple good songs on the Eminem Show (Soldier, Square Dance, Hailey's song) and Encore was 100 percent garbage, The Re-up wasn't much better... Pretty much as soon as Eminem started producing his own albums they have went downhill. Dre and the Bass brothers produced his first two solo albums on Interscope.

All he does now is use these retarded ass voices in every song instead of having a normal flow. It is played out IMO.

Relapse is more of that garbage Encore ****. It sucks that he can't put out some quality stuff like he did his first 5 years in rap. He absolutely kills the DJ Green Lantern Invasion mixtape... He has fell off though and it sucks.

BMarsh615
05-15-2009, 09:26 AM
For the record, the lyrics are not bad.. He still uses wordplay and manipulates syllables better than anyone rapping right now... I just can't stand his delivery anymore.

HEAV
05-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I was a huge Eminem fan when I was in high school. I have memorized well over 200 Eminem songs...

But I have been disappointed with pretty much every one of his major releases after the Marshall Mathers LP, Devils Night (D12's album), and the 8 mile Soundtrack.

There were only a couple good songs on the Eminem Show (Soldier, Square Dance, Hailey's song) and Encore was 100 percent garbage, The Re-up wasn't much better... Pretty much as soon as Eminem started producing his own albums they have went downhill. Dre and the Bass brothers produced his first two solo albums on Interscope.

All he does now is use these retarded ass voices in every song instead of having a normal flow. It is played out IMO.

Relapse is more of that garbage Encore ****. It sucks that he can't put out some quality stuff like he did his first 5 years in rap. He absolutely kills the DJ Green Lantern Invasion mixtape... He has fell off though and it sucks.

Agree.

It sounds like a attempt at recreating old glory, but it's 2009 and his music sounds more like 2004. It's as if he was playing it safe and went to the well for his material and didn't try something new.

It happens to many artist's. Jay-Z for the last few years has fallen into the trap pop-rap and left behind his Reasonable Doubt years.

Both should just enjoy their life work and leave hip-hop to the young kids like Lil Wayne and T.I.

Mr.Meanie
05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I hadn't read any other reviews because I didn't want them to taint my own experience... But since you mentioned it, I did a search for the Rolling Stone review, and they gave him high marks:

The album definitely isn't for everyone. I think Eminem purposefully tried to scare off people with it. I don't even think it's an album created for fans. I think it's an album created for himself to clear his own head and his own demons, and taking the listener along for the ride.

I agree totally... it seems like none of the songs on this CD would be for his normal fanbase. He doesn't have any "epic" songs on this album like Patiently Waiting or Mosh or Till I Collapse.

That said... I also really liked it. To be fair, I also like pretty much every CD he's made. Encore was the worst of them all so far, but I still loved Mosh, Puke, and Crazy in Love.

On this album, the only songs I didn't really like were the 2 singles (Crack a Bottle, We Made You) and Must be the Ganja. They just seem very mediocre... he's way better than that.

But the first 4 songs are unreal, and so are Stay Wide Awake, Medicine Ball and Deja Vu. They are a bit deranged, but it seems like he's back in his old form of ridiculous delivery and insanely creative lyrics.

Great review TJ

BizzyBone7
05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Did he produce any songs himself? His production is pretty repetitive and plain. I haven't heard any of his recent stuff, but his old stuff he did, for the 2Pac disgrace of a CD Loyal to the Game, was awful and sounded like the same song over and over.

Taco John
05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Did he produce any songs himself? His production is pretty repetitive and plain. I haven't heard any of his recent stuff, but his old stuff he did, for the 2Pac disgrace of a CD Loyal to the Game, was awful and sounded like the same song over and over.

They're all produced by Dre, except for one song: Beautiful.

broncosteven
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
For the Eminem and Rap fans out there...

The next song on the album, called "Hello," is a sort of re-introduction to Eminem. It's a very good song with some double meaning to it. The question is whether or not he's reintroducing himself to the fans, or re-introducing himself to the pill addiction (as though it were a person). It's an excellent song, and he doesn't hold back as he reveals how low things got for him:

I lose a pill and I'm recklessly wrecking the house
That was supposed to be breakfast where the heck is it now?
There's the necklace I lost, right next to Stephanie's blouse.
Man I should check to see if my mum left any out
Nope! Guess I'll reroute
Maybe somewhere in the depths of the couch
oooh, Jackpot, yeah
Open Sesame mouth!

In the song, he reveals that his recent "pnemonia" bout was actually an overdose situation where he had to be rushed to the hospital.

If you think that is good, just wait until you hear the New DeathSICLE song cycle about DeathSICLES addiction to popSICLES, especially the red and green ones.

A more Harrowing portrayal of popSICLE additiction has never been told before, that is why DeathSICLE is still working on it and it hasn't been picked up by any labels or heard outside of DeathSICLE's basement.

theAPAOps5
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I never pegged you as an Eminem fan Taco.

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I never pegged you as an Eminem fan Taco.

Will the real Slim Taco please stand up?

I repeat, will the real Slim Taco please stand up?

We're gonna have a problem here..

Los Broncos
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
My middle finger wont go down how do I wave?

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I love Eminem. I'll have to download.

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Listening now. "My Mom" is awesome.

GoBroncos84
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I have listened to the album one time through so far, and I cannot say I am impressed. I was a big fan of Infinity, The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show. Encore was terrible. My taste in rap has definitely grown and evolved since I used to listen to him. I now find myself drawn to content over all else. I want the artist to be conveying something important, whether its political, social, philosophical, etc. I cannot listen to "club" hip hop at all, it makes me sick. So part of my dislike may be that he is no longer my style of artist.

Nothing about this cd stood out to me. I think there are some very solid beats, and Eminem has some very solid flows throughout the album. The content just isn't there. I don't care to listen to him rap about his mom or his ex anymore, its way overplayed. You need to move forward and present new ideas. He uses clever word play, as I would expect, but its just fancy dressing to a boring product because he has nothing of importance to say. I understand the theme of the album, he is relaying some very personal experiences and his struggles. For that I give him credit. But he just has not grown as an artist and he is not presenting anything new that he has not already done. I will listen to the album a few more times through and I am sure parts of it will start to grow on me. Eminem is a truly unique voice in terms of his talent and potential, its just unfortunate he is using that voice to repeat himself. He could be one of the best rappers of all time, but I don't think he is accomplishing that.

He was my favorite at one time. Now that I have heard a lot more hip hop I understand that he is not even in the same league as Saul Williams, Sage Francis, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, or Blue Scholars. Among others. On the first listen I give this album a 5 out of 10. I had hoped for much better

DenverBrit
05-15-2009, 04:37 PM

Translation: Self indulgent!!

Mr.Meanie
05-15-2009, 04:47 PM
He was my favorite at one time. Now that I have heard a lot more hip hop I understand that he is not even in the same league as Saul Williams, Sage Francis, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, or Blue Scholars. Among others. On the first listen I give this album a 5 out of 10. I had hoped for much better

I hear you on that one. He's not as good in terms of political statements or meaningful dialogue in his lyrics as some of the cult hip hop guys.

I put him more on the level of Lil Wayne. Insanely talented...just not saying a whole lot. What's funny to me is some of the people who talk about how Lil Wayne is incredible, and then bash Em for rehashing the same **** in all his music. Lil Wayne is the undisputed rehashing king.

GoBroncos84
05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I hear you on that one. He's not as good in terms of political statements or meaningful dialogue in his lyrics as some of the cult hip hop guys.

I put him more on the level of Lil Wayne. Insanely talented...just not saying a whole lot. What's funny to me is some of the people who talk about how Lil Wayne is incredible, and then bash Em for rehashing the same **** in all his music. Lil Wayne is the undisputed rehashing king.

Yeah, I don't like Lil Wayne. Never have. He does show some talent, but he doesn't do much with it. I mean not every rapper needs to be political, even if he was making intelligent commentary on life I would be more open to it. I just think he has defined himself as a "shock artist" and has not broken away from that, even though he has the talent to be so much more.

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Mr. Carter is the premier Club Rapper. He's an incredible talent and is incredibly intelligent, he just chooses to make club rap. I hope he'll expand his horizons in the coming years. He's a great talent.

I just love Em. Great flow, great word play.

GoBroncos84
05-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Mr. Carter is the premier Club Rapper. He's an incredible talent and is incredibly intelligent, he just chooses to make club rap. I hope he'll expand his horizons in the coming years. He's a great talent.

I just love Em. Great flow, great word play.

Jay-Z is a top 20 rapper, not as good as he or others claim he is. Immensely talented, but not among the greatest of all time. In terms of record sales yes, but that is it. I like him a lot, and would also like to see him expand and grow. But if its not broke I doubt he thinks it needs to be fixed.

As for Em, I agree. Great flow, great word play. Just no content, and too much of the subject matter is just a rehash. He has made this album before, only it was better the first few times. No growth. Its what I hate about mainstream hiphop. 50 cent and other rappers like that get away with making the same album, all of the songs are about the same basic things, just slightly changed in terms of the beat and some other minor things. Women, murder, alcohol, drugs, violence. Same subject matter in just about every song. And they sell millions of albums. Most of the mainstream rappers are interchangeable, you can barely tell them apart. Its not art, its business. Nothing more. As a businessman, Eminem will do just fine. He will sell the records he wants to sell. As an artist he is wasting his talent

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not a big Jay-Z fan. My favorites are the Flobots, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem, and two guys you mentioned, Saul Williams and Sage Francis.

GoBroncos84
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm not a big Jay-Z fan. My favorites are the Flobots, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem, and two guys you mentioned, Saul Williams and Sage Francis.

Nice to see Saul and Sage get some love. I believe those two are the best of all time.

maher_tyler
05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
If the rest of the CD is anything like i've heard them play on the radio..which was crack a bottle and my mom..i dont think i'll buy the CD..someone please tell me the rest of the CD is much better than that.

rovolution
05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
havent heard the entire album yet but didnt like any of the singles released.

and to think they postponed "Detox" for this album....

dammit Dre ive been waiting 7 years for Detox to drop. please can Detox come out in my lifetime! stop working on Em and 50s stuff and focus on Detox!

Mr.Meanie
05-15-2009, 05:47 PM
If the rest of the CD is anything like i've heard them play on the radio..which was crack a bottle and my mom..i dont think i'll buy the CD..someone please tell me the rest of the CD is much better than that.

that's kind of what this entire thread is about....

DB Doom
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Now that I have heard a lot more hip hop I understand that he is not even in the same league as Saul Williams, Sage Francis, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, or Blue Scholars.

or MF Doom, The Roots, Madlib/Quasimoto, Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Arecee, Sole, GZA/Genius, Ghostface, RA the Rugged Man, Del, Pharoahe Monch, Planet Asia,...but its all about the music too.
Dr. Dre will always hold a special place in my heart but commercial rap sucks nuts, and somebody mentioned his(m&m) delivery...god it's terrible, first album was neat and fun but the well is dry and if it wasn't for Dre..he'd be a memory by now.

opinions are great.:)

BLAZE
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I have listened to the album one time through so far, and I cannot say I am impressed. I was a big fan of Infinity, The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show. Encore was terrible. My taste in rap has definitely grown and evolved since I used to listen to him. I now find myself drawn to content over all else. I want the artist to be conveying something important, whether its political, social, philosophical, etc. I cannot listen to "club" hip hop at all, it makes me sick. So part of my dislike may be that he is no longer my style of artist.

Nothing about this cd stood out to me. I think there are some very solid beats, and Eminem has some very solid flows throughout the album. The content just isn't there. I don't care to listen to him rap about his mom or his ex anymore, its way overplayed. You need to move forward and present new ideas. He uses clever word play, as I would expect, but its just fancy dressing to a boring product because he has nothing of importance to say. I understand the theme of the album, he is relaying some very personal experiences and his struggles. For that I give him credit. But he just has not grown as an artist and he is not presenting anything new that he has not already done. I will listen to the album a few more times through and I am sure parts of it will start to grow on me. Eminem is a truly unique voice in terms of his talent and potential, its just unfortunate he is using that voice to repeat himself. He could be one of the best rappers of all time, but I don't think he is accomplishing that.

I co-sign all of this. After such a long layoff I was expecting Eminem to go to the next level with his subject matter, possibly in a more political direction but instead it's more of the same song and dance. Eminem needs to seriously step his game up. Wasting time time taking shots at easy targets like Mariah Carey. :spit: Take the cue from Nas and start getting political with your stuff.

BLAZE
05-15-2009, 09:09 PM
havent heard the entire album yet but didnt like any of the singles released.

and to think they postponed "Detox" for this album....

dammit Dre ive been waiting 7 years for Detox to drop. please can Detox come out in my lifetime! stop working on Em and 50s stuff and focus on Detox!

If the beats he has for Detox sound like the stuff he has on Eminem's album he needs to hang it up right now.

BLAZE
05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
My Top 5 All-time

1. KRS-1
2. Rakim
3. Big Daddy Kane
4. Kool G Rap
5. Nas

Dr. Broncenstein
05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
http://stuffbyronlikes.com/images/40yearold-1.jpg

BMarsh615
05-15-2009, 10:14 PM
My middle finger wont go down how do I wave?

And this is how I'm supposed to teach kids how to behave?

Role Model is my favorite song on the Slim Shady LP.

BMarsh615
05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
My 3 favorite songs on Relapse:

1.Stay Wide Awake - The rhyme scheme he uses in the second verse is unbelievable.

2. Deja Vu - Pretty deep song about his drug addiction

3. Beautiful - Great lyrics and he isn't just rambling like he does on a few other songs.

Broncoman13
05-16-2009, 04:46 AM
I really like Eminem as well so I get the new album and... yeah, I'll have to listen to it a few times over to really say for sure. But, after the first couple times through, not so high on this one. He is still pretty masterful and witty with his lyrics but it's not his best by any stretch. Couple nice runs in different songs, but they are far and few between. And the one about his step father out in the shed is just messed up as can be. DOH

BMarsh615
05-16-2009, 05:22 AM
And the one about his step father out in the shed is just messed up as can be. DOH

No kidding. I only listened to that song once and I don't plan on listening to it again... I don't want to here about gay incest buttsecks.

I doubt that it actually happened though.

Broncoman13
05-16-2009, 05:26 AM
My Top 5 All-time

1. KRS-1
2. Rakim
3. Big Daddy Kane
4. Kool G Rap
5. Nas

No Bone Thugs? Easily my favorite of all time.

Inkana7
05-16-2009, 09:22 AM
No kidding. I only listened to that song once and I don't plan on listening to it again... I don't want to here about gay incest buttsecks.

I doubt that it actually happened though.

That song is too intense for it not to be true.

BLAZE
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
No Bone Thugs? Easily my favorite of all time.

Bone Thugs were great in flow and delivery, but lacked versatility in subject matter. After two albums I was already bored; Every Emcee in my Top 5 has either invented a style or taken a style to the next level. For example Rakim invented the complex flow that people like Nas, Biggie, Kane, Kool G Rap expanded on. KRS-1 was the master of the subject matter versatility and live performance. KRS-1 also gets credit for advancing the simple old school flows to more complex flows. Kool G Rap along with Kane were the masters of multisyllabic rhyming. Nas and later Eminem expanded on what Kool G Rap and Kane were doing. Nas edges out Eminem on the elements of subject matter and storytelling.

What would really help Eminem is if he ....

1. Get rid of the silly accents and get back to serious straight forward rhyming.

2. Start working with different producers. Dre doesn't have it anymore. Let's hear Eminem on a Premo track, Timbaland track, Kanye, etc.

3. Get better subject matter.

Taco John
05-18-2009, 01:07 AM
As for Em, I agree. Great flow, great word play. Just no content, and too much of the subject matter is just a rehash. He has made this album before, only it was better the first few times.

I think that you're wrong. Yes, some of the same themes are there - that's a given because it's the same guy. But to say there is not content is pretty shallow analysis of the content that is there. You might not be interested in his struggle with addiction, and the role that addiction has played in his life the last few years. You might not be interested in how he connects his past to his current situation. But that doesn't mean the content isn't there. There's a lot of new stuff in this album that he hasn't touched on before.

Like I say, there are old themes, but he opens up a new chapter with this album.

Taco John
05-18-2009, 01:10 AM
I co-sign all of this. After such a long layoff I was expecting Eminem to go to the next level with his subject matter, possibly in a more political direction but instead it's more of the same song and dance. Eminem needs to seriously step his game up. Wasting time time taking shots at easy targets like Mariah Carey. :spit: Take the cue from Nas and start getting political with your stuff.

Why would anyone want to see Eminem go in a political direction? That would be the lamest thing ever.

SouthStndJunkie
05-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Why would anyone want to see Eminem go in a political direction? That would be the lamest thing ever.

I agree.

That is the last thing I want to hear him rap about.

Jerry Curl
05-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I absolutely love this album. Top notch from beginning till end. The beats Dre came with are also badass imo. Nice Review.

Political Eminem ala Mosh would be stupid because he isn't Nas or someone who really writes/talks about politics alot. And he only really used "the voice" on like 4 tracks and even on those it's not THAT bad.

BLAZE
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Why would it be lame? I remember about 3 years ago when the album "The Re-Up" was released there was a song on there called "Public Enemy #1".

http://fr.truveo.com/public-enemy-1/id/1554116317

I thought it was the best stuff I ever heard out of Eminem; the only problem was the song was too short. So I thought to myself wow if Eminem came with more material like this his stuff would go to the next level. Then when "Relapse" came out I was like he we go again with the same nonsense he's talked about on previous albums; really Disappointing. Perhaps I was expecting too much thinking Eminem can be more than what he is. I was teased with "Public Enemy #1", but now it looks like it's business as usual. It was a mistake on my part for expecting more.

BLAZE
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Political Eminem ala Mosh would be stupid because he isn't Nas or someone who really writes/talks about politics alot.

Isn't someone allowed to change?

And he only really used "the voice" on like 4 tracks and even on those it's not THAT bad.

"The Voice" as you call it is so annoying that it ruins any track it's used on but opinions vary I guess.

Bronx33
05-18-2009, 01:28 PM
His shyt is garbage it always has been ( raise your standards people!!!) quit settling for half assed gimic crap i swear to god music went to crap the minute the beasty boys and nirvana hit the market then everybodys standards went into the pot and haven't even tried to come out.

Taco John
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
His shyt is garbage it always has been ( raise your standards people!!!) quit settling for half assed gimic crap i swear to god music went to crap the minute the beasty boys and nirvana hit the market then everybodys standards went into the pot and haven't even tried to come out.

Heh... That's when I thought music started to get good again... :)

broncocalijohn
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM

same jerkoffs that stated that Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys sucked. I listened and didnt get it for 5 or 6 years. Worse decision ever.... to wait that long. I dont buy Eminem's stuff but at least you have ways to listen to it yourself before taking someone else's opinion. Paul's Boutique is one of the best albums of all time for my generation.

broncocalijohn
05-19-2009, 12:38 AM

wrong! Look at my post above. You dont get deeper into the music except what you heard on mtv. De La Soul's Rising album is another great one that many only heard a few songs. Great to this day. It isnt us, it is you.

SouthStndJunkie
05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
same jerkoffs that stated that Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys sucked. I listened and didnt get it for 5 or 6 years. Worse decision ever.... to wait that long. I dont buy Eminem's stuff but at least you have ways to listen to it yourself before taking someone else's opinion. Paul's Boutique is one of the best albums of all time for my generation.

Paul's Boutique is an excellent album.

When it first came out, I did not like it all that much, because I was looking for License to Ill II....but as time passed, I really came to appreciate Paul's Boutique.

SouthStndJunkie
05-19-2009, 02:17 AM
I am going to pick up 'Relapse' on my lunch break Tuesday.

Then I will give the album it's day in court.

Punisher
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2009/05/punisher-eminem-2.jpg

broncosteven
05-22-2009, 04:11 PM

I am not into rap but I loved the Beastie Boys, PB was funny and different at the time. I just dumped my copy because it didn't hold up well for me and I never listened to it. That Chicken/country song was funny though when it came out.

Greg Knot from the trib brought that album up in his review of Eminem's album, he gave it one star didn't like it much.

I still don't get rap.

broncosteven
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM

I agree that Grundge set rock back 20+ years.

alkemical
05-26-2009, 06:51 AM

no, the record industry did. They then pumped copycat bands everywhere. Puddle of mudd, etc

Broncoman13
05-30-2009, 07:59 AM

So I went and found some songs by all of the guys you mentioned. The only one I really like is Blue Scholars. I've listened to three or four songs from each. What is the best from Blue Scholars? So far my favorite is "No Rest For the Weary" followed by "Life & Debt". Any others you would suggest?

bronco_boi_5280
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I didn't read all the replies but I did read the opening post.

Could not agree more. Fantastic album.

The only song I don't like is I believe #4, the one about getting molested/raped/etc by his step father. I mean, I can appreciate that Em has issues, etc, but it's just too much. Too graphic, I just can't sit there and listen to it.

But I really enjoy the rest. The last song is probably my favorite, "Underground," which is just hard. But he has a lot of gems on this CD. I too didn't know what to expect, and he blew me away.

Relapse 2 (which I've heard is coming out later this year) should be great as well. Hopefully he starts to tour, I really need to see him live, which I never have.

Spider
05-30-2009, 09:50 AM
What baffles me is ...... you guys call that crap music .......

Hogan11
05-30-2009, 09:52 AM

..and a lot of us feel that that was a very good thing

Natedogg
05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
So I went and found some songs by all of the guys you mentioned. The only one I really like is Blue Scholars. I've listened to three or four songs from each. What is the best from Blue Scholars? So far my favorite is "No Rest For the Weary" followed by "Life & Debt". Any others you would suggest?

Blue Scholars are so tight. If you like them, try immortal technique. More angry and less "productive" but damn good "political" hip hop as well. 3rd World Mix tape ****ing rules.

GoBroncos84
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Blue Scholars have two albums, and I can listen to both from start to finish and enjoy each track. My favorites are: "No Rest for the Weary", "Blue School" ,"Self Portrait", "Blink", "North by Northwest", "Fire for the People", and "Back Home". I could list more, the songs are just great.

For Sage Francis try: "Slow Down Gandhi", " Hey Bobby", Sea Lion (preferably the version with Saul Williams on it)", "The Buzz Kill", "Civil Obedience", "Going Back to Rehab", "Personal Journalist" (I would suggest the entire Personal Journals album for the most part), and "Makeshift Patriot"

For Saul Williams: " Act 3 Scene 2 (Shakespeare)(w/ Zach De La Rocha from Rage)", "Penny for your thoughts", "Scared Money", "The Ritual", "Bloodletting" ,"September 12", "Talk to Strangers" and "Black Stacey"

For Atmosphere check out the Strictly Leakage album. Also try to find the track "Stuck" featuring Sage Francis.

Also get the Blackstar album, it's Mos Def and Talib Kweli. The tracks "Definition", "Redefinition", and "Astronomy" are my favs on that one.

If you listen to those tracks I listed and are not in love with each of them, then we just have different taste. To me, that is hip hop at its very best.

Taco John
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
..and a lot of us feel that that was a very good thing

Haha! Word up!

GoBroncos84
05-30-2009, 10:46 AM
To get you started, probably my favorite hip hop song of all time...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgFwHd7lr4g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgFwHd7lr4g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BffumeEaYOI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BffumeEaYOI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PITNYQtZWFE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PITNYQtZWFE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

AZBroncomaniac
05-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Who?

Natedogg
05-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Blue Scholars have two albums, and I can listen to both from start to finish and enjoy each track. My favorites are: "No Rest for the Weary", "Blue School" ,"Self Portrait", "Blink", "North by Northwest", "Fire for the People", and "Back Home". I could list more, the songs are just great.

For Sage Francis try: "Slow Down Gandhi", " Hey Bobby", Sea Lion (preferably the version with Saul Williams on it)", "The Buzz Kill", "Civil Obedience", "Going Back to Rehab", "Personal Journalist" (I would suggest the entire Personal Journals album for the most part), and "Makeshift Patriot"

For Saul Williams: " Act 3 Scene 2 (Shakespeare)(w/ Zach De La Rocha from Rage)", "Penny for your thoughts", "Scared Money", "The Ritual", "Bloodletting" ,"September 12", "Talk to Strangers" and "Black Stacey"

For Atmosphere check out the Strictly Leakage album. Also try to find the track "Stuck" featuring Sage Francis.

Also get the Blackstar album, it's Mos Def and Talib Kweli. The tracks "Definition", "Redefinition", and "Astronomy" are my favs on that one.

If you listen to those tracks I listed and are not in love with each of them, then we just have different taste. To me, that is hip hop at its very best.

Rep. Totally agree. Right on every recommendation. I am going to give Sage Francis another try after reading this.

Requiem
05-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Eminem sucks; I feel ashamed that some great hip-hop artists had to be mentioned in this thread along side that silly bastard.

Broncobuddy7
05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Eminem isn't for everybody. But for those who truly appreciate rap music he's one of the best. Probably only second to Jay-Z (in terms of living rappers of course).

Broncobuddy7
05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
In case you want something you may not have heard.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8TIeFgOhaM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8TIeFgOhaM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

And another one

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cOMVysWFhw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cOMVysWFhw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bronco_boi_5280
05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Everything Slug puts out turns to gold. <3 Atmosphere.

Taco John
05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
In case you want something you may not have heard.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8TIeFgOhaM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8TIeFgOhaM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

That was a remarkably well done video. The music was great too. Sounds like something that the Gorillaz might have done. I wonder if he has any connection to that project.

BLAZE
05-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Eminem isn't for everybody. But for those who truly appreciate rap music he's one of the best. Probably only second to Jay-Z (in terms of living rappers of course).

Huh? Last time I checked KRS-1, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Pharoahe Monch, Andre 3000 and Talib Kweli are still alive. It will be awhile before Eminem gets in the Top 5. Hell, Jay-Z isn't in the Top 5 as far as I'm concerned.

Natedogg
05-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Huh? Last time I checked KRS-1, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Pharoahe Monch, Andre 3000 and Talib Kweli are still alive. It will be awhile before Eminem gets in the Top 5. Hell, Jay-Z isn't in the Top 5 as far as I'm concerned.

check.

GoBroncos84
05-31-2009, 12:58 AM

Agreed. Album sales do not = talent. If that was the case Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears would be immensely talented. They aren't. Jay-Z is very good, not in the top 10. Eminem can be great, better than Jay-Z when at his best, but his lack of consistency and the overall value of his work puts him outside of the top 10 as well. They might not even be top 20 rappers. Em has the talent and potential, he just doesn't use it properly.

Broncobuddy7
05-31-2009, 07:44 AM

You know I really can't argue with you about the quality of those rappers. I guess I was just thinking in terms of mainstream rappers. Eminem is hit or miss but "to me" Jay-Z is def. a top 5 rapper.

Broncobuddy7
05-31-2009, 07:52 AM
That was a remarkably well done video. The music was great too. Sounds like something that the Gorillaz might have done. I wonder if he has any connection to that project.

The rapper in that song is Del The Funky Homosapien. He also rapped on the Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood" and "Rock the House" on their debut album. Not sure if Mike Relm has collaborated with the Gorillaz?

Requiem
05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Slug is overrated, Atmosphere isn't as dope as they used to be. ****, that stuff was trill in seventh grade. Guy is a douche in person.

SouthStndJunkie
05-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I have listened to 'Relapse' several times now and I have to say it's pretty good....the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

I would give it a solid B+ for a grade.

vancejohnson82
06-01-2009, 08:02 AM

now you are just trying to be "underground" for the sake of argument...

you can't put Big Daddy Kane, Pharoah Monch or Twalib Kwali up there with Eminem no matter how hard you try...

first of all, two of those guys havent come out with an album or mixtape in eons....so they are kinda irreleveant....and as far as word play and flow, it comes down to matters of opnion but Kane and Pharoah don't come close to eminem...i'll say its up for debate with Twalib Kwali....

i wont argue against Rakim, Nas and Andre 3000 because they are all my personal favorites but Ghostface has never been something I've enjoyed although a lot of my friends sweat his stuff...

BLAZE
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
now you are just trying to be "underground" for the sake of argument...

you can't put Big Daddy Kane, Pharoah Monch or Twalib Kwali up there with Eminem no matter how hard you try...

Depends on what your basing "Up there" as. If you're talking about record sells then no BDK, Pharoah Monch, Twalib Kwali aren't up there with Eminem. If you're talking about pure lyricism (which is what I'm talking about) then yes they're up there with Eminem.

first of all, two of those guys havent come out with an album or mixtape in eons....so they are kinda irreleveant...

Once again I'm not talking about album sells or releases for that matter. Hell, Kool G Rap hasn't come out with an album in years but ask anybody who knows Hip Hop and they'll tell you that dude is still incredible on the mic.

and as far as word play and flow, it comes down to matters of opnion but Kane and Pharoah don't come close to eminem...i'll say its up for debate with Twalib Kwali....

Everything is a matter of opinion. I just perosnally believe those three are better. BDK is top 5 all-time to me. I got Twalib Kwali, Pharoah Monch and Eminem somewhere in my top 20. Common and Black Thought (from The Roots) are getting close to my top 10.

i wont argue against Rakim, Nas and Andre 3000 because they are all my personal favorites but Ghostface has never been something I've enjoyed although a lot of my friends sweat his stuff...

The thing with Ghostface is he has his own Wu street Terminology so a lot of his material goes over people's head. I personally always thought Ghostface was the best Emcee in Wu-Tang and still do. Another dude who has gotten my attention over the last couple of years is Brother Ali. Dude is quickly moving up the ranks.

BMarsh615
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
So did anyone get Refill?

I didn't know Eminem put another album out until just yesterday. I have only listened to the first 4 songs but "Buffalo Bill" is now one of my favorite Eminem songs.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo5x4p_1xFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo5x4p_1xFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr.Meanie
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM

I didn't know Eminem put another album out until just yesterday. I have only listened to the first 4 songs but "Buffalo Bill" is now one of my favorite Eminem songs.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo5x4p_1xFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo5x4p_1xFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That's funny, I just heard that song the other day on Pandora. That is the most insane lyrical delivery I think I've ever heard.

BMarsh615
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
That's funny, I just heard that song the other day on Pandora. That is the most insane lyrical delivery I think I've ever heard.

Yeah the rhymeschemes he uses in that song is unbelievable. I thought the second verse of "Stay Wide Awake" (from Relapse) was the best flow I have heard from Eminem but Buffalo Bill might have topped it for me.

RhymesayersDU
03-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Downloaded it awhile ago. Some good stuff there.

RhymesayersDU
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Slug is overrated, Atmosphere isn't as dope as they used to be. ****, that stuff was trill in seventh grade. Guy is a douche in person.

el-oh-el

Atmosphere would never be described by anybody anywhere as "trill" and Sluggo is bringing gems.

BlaK-Argentina
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM

How ANYONE can listen to that is unbelievable to me. No offense, I just don't get it. I listened to the first 2 mins with an open mind and about 40 seconds in I felt like the dumbest person in the world. Where's the attractive? Where's the music, the talent? Serious question, I want to understand. Ha!

BMarsh615
03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
How ANYONE can listen to that is unbelievable to me. No offense, I just don't get it. I listened to the first 2 mins with an open mind and about 40 seconds in I felt like the dumbest person in the world. Where's the attractive? Where's the music, the talent? Serious question, I want to understand. Ha!

The wordplay. The way he uses syllables. The flow. The content. There is nobody rapping like that but Eminem, it is just different.

GoBroncos84
03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
surprise surprise, another song where he mentions Christopher Reeves and uses an accent. He dilutes his original rhymeschemes with unoriginal content. Such talent, but he wastes it, IMO.

RonDaChamp24
03-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Lil' Wayne is better than all of them. He's the best rapper alive, and when his career is over, he may be the best ever. His mixtapes are ridiculously good, and even his mainstream stuff is great. Love me some Lil' Wayne. The No Ceilings Mixtape is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

WolfpackGuy
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
What is the best from Blue Scholars?

Stumbled across these guys a couple years ago.

Sagaba (Remix) and Joe Metro are pretty good.

BLAZE
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Lil' Wayne is better than all of them. He's the best rapper alive, and when his career is over, he may be the best ever. His mixtapes are ridiculously good, and even his mainstream stuff is great. Love me some Lil' Wayne. The No Ceilings Mixtape is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

:spit:

SportinOne
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Somewhere around the time that I graduated high school and he started rapping in that weird baby-talk voice I realized how awful and silly his "music" is. Maybe it's because I choose not to associate with the individualistic/materialistic/sexist sub culture that is hip hop, or maybe it's because i'm not 16 anymore.

hambone13
03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Somewhere around the time that I graduated high school and he started rapping in that weird baby-talk voice I realized how awful and silly his "music" is. Maybe it's because I choose not to associate with the individualistic/materialistic/sexist sub culture that is hip hop, or maybe it's because i'm not 16 anymore.

Or maybe you're just a closed minded/lost in the extremes of conservative thought/country and western & classic rock lover that is.... horrible at even comprehending something new in emerging music genres.

SportinOne
03-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Or maybe you're just a closed minded/lost in the extremes of conservative thought/country and western & classic rock lover that is.... horrible at even comprehending something new in emerging music genres.

I'm a little bit curious as to how you came to the conclusion that someone who is opposed to individualism would be a conservative. My guess is that you took the simple fact that i, for the most part, don't like rap and it instantly triggered the "he must be a hick" response in your brain and completely ignored anything else that I said.

i like all kinds of music, the least of which would be classic rock or country. I especially appreciate the "new and emerging music genres", something that Eminem is in no way a part of. I kind of dig Kid Cudi, if only for the reason that he is actually trying something new and bestowing it upon the mainstream.

Check out Pretty Lights (www.prettylightsmusic.com) for something relatively unique (all of his music is free). Go to one of his shows, even.. Find enough artists like him and you just might forget that commercial artists like Eminem ever existed.

Requiem
03-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Cam'ron > Eminem

Taco John
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm an Eminem fan, but didn't care for Refill. I was probably expecting too much. I was expecting a second act, not just a bunch of b-sides.

DB_champ24
03-22-2010, 12:15 AM

uhhh, this post wasn't to me but wtf are you talking about???????

Archer81
03-22-2010, 12:24 AM

Rap is no longer emerging. Its an established "art form". I dont call it music or consider rappers to be singers. Its poetry set to music, which more and more lately is being lifted from that "conservative thought/country and western & classic rock" that you disparage.

Personally I dont like rap. Its noise to me, and has been since I was old enough to buy my own CDs. That being said, to each their own, but I cant stand it.

:Broncos:

BMarsh615
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I really don't like rap anymore but I used to be a HUGE Eminem fan when I was in HS so I will always try and listen to his new stuff.

WolfpackGuy
03-22-2010, 06:27 AM
I've sort of tolerated Eminem over the years, but I respect his success.

I always thought being edgy and white is where a lot his popularity came from.

Rap today is nowhere near what it was in the late 80's to mid 90's time frame though.

SportinOne
03-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I've sort of tolerated Eminem over the years, but I respect his success.

I always thought being edgy and white is where a lot his popularity came from.

Rap today is nowhere near what it was in the late 80's to mid 90's time frame though.

I agree.

SportinOne
03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
So funny, i just now realized that this album came out almost a year ago.. i thought this was just now coming out.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
So funny, i just now realized that this album came out almost a year ago.. i thought this was just now coming out.

Last few pages are recent. Rest of it is from last May and early June.

hambone13
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm a little bit curious as to how you came to the conclusion that someone who is opposed to individualism would be a conservative. My guess is that you took the simple fact that i, for the most part, don't like rap and it instantly triggered the "he must be a hick" response in your brain and completely ignored anything else that I said.

i like all kinds of music, the least of which would be classic rock or country. I especially appreciate the "new and emerging music genres", something that Eminem is in no way a part of. I kind of dig Kid Cudi, if only for the reason that he is actually trying something new and bestowing it upon the mainstream.

Check out Pretty Lights (www.prettylightsmusic.com) for something relatively unique (all of his music is free). Go to one of his shows, even.. Find enough artists like him and you just might forget commercial artists like Eminem ever existed.

When I read your post, it just seemed to reek of what I described, which is why I prefaced it with "maybe". I apologize for the assumption but I didn't find your statement any more/less obtuse than mine. I'm not a big hip hop or rap fan myself but much of it is pretty ingenious lyrically and even some mainstream rappers such as Jay Z have the compositional talent to deliver their music acoustically. I think Jay Z's MTV Unplugged show, while I don't particularly care for many of the songs as stuff I'll play repeatedly, was pretty amazing musically. I think Eminem falls into this category. I just think he has clever delivery and solid personal expression that has a unique sound. Frankly, more so with his earlier stuff like many artists. I realize that rap has been around for quite a while now but it's still "emerging" by comparison to country and rock and roll. It's certainly come a long way from it's roots.

I find the discussion about the true definition of "music" an interesting one. Ricki Lee Jones (check out her self titled album from 1972) and many other artists as early as the late sixties and early 70's have had "rap-esque" deliveries in some of their tunes but somehow that's music and rap isn't.

I find many much of the "club culture/individualistic, etc, etc" prejudices out there don't recognize the poetic delivery of their lyrics which are intended to exemplify and bring to the surface the exact things you find offensive. Many of the artists are trying to drive change in their cultures and social roots by how ridiculous their personification of it is.

hambone13
03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Rap is no longer emerging. Its an established "art form". I dont call it music or consider rappers to be singers. Its poetry set to music, which more and more lately is being lifted from that "conservative thought/country and western & classic rock" that you disparage.

Personally I dont like rap. Its noise to me, and has been since I was old enough to buy my own CDs. That being said, to each their own, but I cant stand it.

I suppose depending on one's relative position it's not emerging and is established. I agree that it's established by it's success in popularity but I still find it to be emerging...opinions them all.

I don't find classic rock or country disparaging at all. I actually love a ton of both. I'm a fan of almost all genres of music. I draw the line at opera..it just flat out annoys me but I'll never argue it's not "music" or that the wailing annoying voices of opera singers are not "singers". They are arguably some of the most talented singers and musicians on the planet and in history. I prefer the African vocals in Paul Simon's Graceland albums to opera, hands down. Amazing stuff and arguably one of the greatest complete albums of all time, imo.

I'm a huge fan of the lyrics in music so I find a ton of pleasure in well delivered ideas, stories, emotions, etc. To no consider rappers musicians is just entirely too myopic. What is your definition of a musician?

hambone13
03-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Check out Pretty Lights (www.prettylightsmusic.com) for something relatively unique (all of his music is free). Go to one of his shows, even.. Find enough artists like him and you just might forget that commercial artists like Eminem ever existed.

Oh and by the way, thanks a million for the suggestions! I love to seek out new stuff.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm a huge fan of the lyrics in music so I find a ton of pleasure in well delivered ideas, stories, emotions, etc. To no consider rappers musicians is just entirely too myopic. What is your definition of a musician?

A musician IMO, is someone who plays music.I might be off here, but I dont consider anyone who just sings a musician, they are a singer or a vocalist. A rapper is not a musician to me. They use someone else's music and their own words. In my view, rap "music" is poetry. Some of it can be quite good, most of it isnt.

If you have someone reading a book out loud to music, thats no more a song to me then rap is. Its spoken words set to a beat. If they sing those words, then it is a song because they are singing it.

Maybe I am myopic, but thats my opinion on rap.

hambone13
03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
A musician IMO, is someone who plays music.I might be off here, but I dont consider anyone who just sings a musician, they are a singer or a vocalist. A rapper is not a musician to me. They use someone else's music and their own words. In my view, rap "music" is poetry. Some of it can be quite good, most of it isnt.

If you have someone reading a book out loud to music, thats no more a song to me then rap is. Its spoken words set to a beat. If they sing those words, then it is a song because they are singing it.

Maybe I am myopic, but thats my opinion on rap.

Hmmm. I've always felt that great music and/or any art, emerges from all sorts of different things.....Sometimes it's the melody, sometimes it's the beat, sometimes it's the singer, sometimes it's the emotion it invokes, sometimes it's the lyrics and more often than not great music is a combination of some or all of these things.

Archer81
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Hmmm. I've always felt that great music and/or any art, emerges from all sorts of different things.....Sometimes it's the melody, sometimes it's the beat, sometimes it's the singer, sometimes it's the emotion it invokes, sometimes it's the lyrics and more often than not great music is a combination of some or all of these things.

Any great work of art (literature, poetry, music, painting or even cooking) can evoke those things. I dont consider rap less because I dont consider it music, its still art. Its the expression of the individual. It can reflect pain, pleasure, love, lust, dispair, ect. Great works of art, regardless of the medium can evoke this response. Simply because I dont consider rap pure music does not mean I do not believe it has value as an art form.