PDA

View Full Version : Summer Concert thread

Boobs McGee
05-14-2009, 05:47 PM
hadn't seen one yet, soooo.....

Yup, it's that time of year. Where ya goin, who ya gonna see, and is it gonna rock?!

So far, I've got a few lined up.

Tomorrow night, goin up to mishiwaka to see a bluegrass band. NOT SURE OF THE NAME, but I was told their alot like yonder mountain, mixed with some string cheese.

Saturday, FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS!!!!! Red Rocks, bbq, booze, don't really know what to expect of the actual SHOW, but I'm pretty stolked. P.s. if anybody wants to meet up pm me, we've got about 6 or 7 in our group.

311 on june 12th!!!!!!!!!! With Ziggy Marley! Cannot ****ing WAIT for that show. It's gonna be epic. :strong: Invitation stands for that one as well.

those are the only ones so far, anybody else?

Garcia Bronco
05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Saw the Dead the othe night in Denver

And I am going to 4 nights of Phish in July and August at Red Rocks.

Boobs McGee
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
That's right, how was the dead show? Had a friend that went but she's an alchy and didn't remember much :(

colonelbeef
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Saw the Dead the othe night in Denver

And I am going to 4 nights of Phish in July and August at Red Rocks.

nice, I will be at jones beach and possibly fenway

MrPeepers
05-14-2009, 06:09 PM
mine starts tomorrow.

NIN / Janes Addiction in Phoenix. Third row center and pit passes. This is the show i'm excited for.

Five for fighting at the Indy 500.... BOO!!!!. Kid Rock was 2 yrs ago much better show.

I'll try and get in a Phish show.

Moe is in Flagstaff for memorial day

Mastodon is touring this summer as well.

Moreno Knows Best
05-14-2009, 06:13 PM
No Doubt/Paramore in 2 weeks.

Tech N9ne maybe, depending on if I'm in Denver next week or not.

Snoop Dogg perhaps.

I used to be a big concert guy, but I haven't seen a live show in years now. I'm kind of excited to have some things like this on tap.

Edit: And I know that going to No Doubt gets my man card ripped from me, but Tragic Kingdom was a sweet CD, and Paramore is REALLY catchy.

Malcontent
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
mine starts tomorrow.

NIN / Janes Addiction in Phoenix. Third row center and pit passes. This is the show i'm excited for.

Five for fighting at the Indy 500.... BOO!!!!. Kid Rock was 2 yrs ago much better show.

I'll try and get in a Phish show.

Moe is in Flagstaff for memorial day

NIN/JA is going to ROCK!!! Maybe I'll stumble into you at the beer line dude?

broncosteven
05-14-2009, 06:51 PM
DeathSICKLE, in my basement.

DeathSICKLE thinks it is time for DeathSICKLE to reform.

DeathSICKLE needs 2 drummers, a lead guitar player, bass player who can double on Jazz Flute, another Keyboardist (Must be able to play like Rick Wakeman), Sitarist (not the lame Guru type, real Sitarists like George Harrision), Backing Vocalists (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass), 2 Gospel Choirs, Therminist, and maybe another drummer, bass player, and Guitar player to cut through all the Choirs.

If you play Saxophone **** off! DeathSICKLE thinks saxophonists are all pains in the ass like Cutthemdown. If you play Jazz Sax and are not named Coltrane, Bird, or Rollins then stick your sax in your but bell 1st.

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
DeathSICKLE, in my basement.

DeathSICKLE thinks it is time for DeathSICKLE to reform.

DeathSICKLE needs 2 drummers, a lead guitar player, bass player who can double on Jazz Flute, another Keyboardist (Must be able to play like Rick Wakeman), Sitarist (not the lame Guru type, real Sitarists like George Harrision), Backing Vocalists (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass), 2 Gospel Choirs, Therminist, and maybe another drummer, bass player, and Guitar player to cut through all the Choirs.

If you play Saxophone **** off! DeathSICKLE thinks saxophonists are all pains in the ass like Cutthemdown. If you play Jazz Sax and are not named Coltrane, Bird, or Rollins then stick your sax in your but bell 1st.

Cmon man I deserve a shot. I can play my sax through a distortion peddle straight into a Marshall stack. I probably can't play Giant Steps up to speed, but if you don't care what notes I'm playing I can play really fast.

Oh yeah and I can totally play with my sax in my ass. That's the first thing we learn.

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 08:15 PM
So for sure I will catch this summer.

1- Beastie Boys- Have Garden boxes at the Bowl
2- Tower of Power down in San Diego.

Those are only 2 so far but I usually go to more.

I prefer the smaller venues to the big shows, but big shows fun also.

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd like to get some good AC/DC tickets. There always worth seeing.

GoBroncos84
05-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Two in July. Incubus and TOOL

Dagmar
05-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I'll be at Red Rocks Saturday!

Florida_Bronco
05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
311 on june 12th!!!!!!!!!! With Ziggy Marley! Cannot ****ing WAIT for that show. It's gonna be epic. :strong: Invitation stands for that one as well.

I caught them here in 2007 with The English Beat and Matisyahu and then again in April of this year on their Spring Tour. Absolutely awesome shows.

311 is without a doubt the best live band I've ever seen.

Jens1893
05-15-2009, 01:18 AM
AC/DC in 7 days

Mr. Trout
05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Rockfest in KC Mo, memorial day. 50000 people crammed into one park.

Korn
Shinedown
Drowing Pool
Saving Abel

bout 15 other bands

NYBronco
05-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Floydfest in Floyd Va. in late July.

http://atwproductions.com/index.php?pr=ffhome

CSU Husker
05-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Saw Black Label Society last week, good show.

Seeing NIN and Slayer later on, both at Fiddlers Green, or whatever they call it now, I call it a chitty place to see a show.

oubronco
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Rocklahoma go to rockfeverfest.com total list it is loaded

Beantown Bronco
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Better than Ezra at a local Boston club next month.

Probably catch a DeathSICKLE show as well.

Garcia Bronco
05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
nice, I will be at jones beach and possibly fenway

I bet Fenway will be interesting. I have never heard of them playing a stadium. Let me know how the sound is.

Garcia Bronco
05-15-2009, 07:01 AM
That's right, how was the dead show? Had a friend that went but she's an alchy and didn't remember much :(

It was really mellow and cool. Kinda low-key. But really fun.

Boobs McGee
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
So for sure I will catch this summer.

1- Beastie Boys- Have Garden boxes at the Bowl
2- Tower of Power down in San Diego.

Those are only 2 so far but I usually go to more.

I prefer the smaller venues to the big shows, but big shows fun also.

saw beastie boys last summer with Tenacious D, they were ****in BAD ASS live!

FloridaBronco - Totally agree, they moved up to my favorite live band ever last year....well, it's a tie because when I saw Tom Petty that was just incredible too, but 311 sounds exactly like their albums, really play to the crowd, and have kick ass sets. whoopty WHOOP

Boobs McGee
05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I'll be at Red Rocks Saturday!

duuuuude, look for a newer blue honda civic with a big broncos logo in the back window, and come grab some BOOZE!!!

kamakazi_kal
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
mine starts tomorrow.

Gadds man !!! Mastadon is freaking horrible

Rise Against with Rancid.

Pennywise

Black label society and sevendust.

philiptr2
05-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Cross Canadian Ragweed at the Grizzly Rose!

I think June 24th?

SportinOne
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Already been to Coachella and saw:

M. Ward - great
Leonard Cohen - fantastic
The Ting Tings - much better than I thought
Crystal Castles - solid
Girl Talk - horrible, horrible, horrible, awful
Paul McCartney - meh, but it's been done and I've seen a beatle live
The Crystal Method - YESS
Para One - great
TV on the Radio - cool
Junior Boys - underwhelming, still like their albums
Chemical Brothers - good, but not nearly what I expected
MSTRKRFT - everything that Chemical brothers should have been.. THE BEST
Peter Bjorn and John - super cool
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - WOW
My Bloody Valentine - WHAT?!?! ok, nice!
The Orb - dull at the start, then tore it up
Throbbing Gristle - exceeded expectations, which was hard
A bit of the Cure - great
Etienne de Crecy - same **** I saw on youtube prior to the show.. interesting but..

Saw Throbbing Gristle in Chicago, was even better than at Coachella
Saw Diplo a couple weeks ago.. free show at the student union
Saw All the Tiny Creatures last night
Going to see NIN in chicago. No janes addiction = more Nails.
YYYs in Milwaukee two days later
Crystal Method in Milwaukee June 6
Bonnaroo June 1th-14th
Electric Daisy Festival in LA a couple weeks after that..
Probably catch Tool and a solid electronic act at Lolla as well.

chawknz
05-15-2009, 11:44 AM
So far I have:

Nine Inch Nails / Janes at Fiddlers Green (May 26)
Green Day / Franz Ferdinand at Pepsi Center (Aug 15)
U2 / MUSE @ Dallas Cowboys Stadium (Oct 12)

The only reason why I am going to Dallas to see U2 is because I am a crazy MUSE fan and that's the closest place they are opening for U2. Plus U2 always does a great live show, so what the heck.

Hopefully there will be other good concerts this summer

Boobs McGee
05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Already been to Coachella and saw:

M. Ward - great
Leonard Cohen - fantastic
The Ting Tings - much better than I thought
Crystal Castles - solid
Girl Talk - horrible, horrible, horrible, awful
Paul McCartney - meh, but it's been done and I've seen a beatle live
The Crystal Method - YESS
Para One - great
TV on the Radio - cool
Junior Boys - underwhelming, still like their albums
Chemical Brothers - good, but not nearly what I expected
MSTRKRFT - everything that Chemical brothers should have been.. THE BEST
Peter Bjorn and John - super cool
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - WOW
My Bloody Valentine - WHAT?!?! ok, nice!
The Orb - dull at the start, then tore it up
A bit of the Cure - great
Etienne de Crecy - same **** I saw on youtube prior to the show.. interesting but..

Saw Diplo a couple weeks ago.. free show at the student union
Saw All the Tiny Creatures last night
Going to see NIN in chicago. No janes addiction = more Nails.
YYYs in Milwaukee two days later
Crystal Method in Milwaukee June 6
Bonnaroo June 1th-14th
Electric Daisy Festival in LA a couple weeks after that..
Probably catch Tool and a solid electronic act at Lolla as well.

holy CRAP you lucky asshole, that's a pretty sweet way to start things off for the summer. Shiat, I'm jealous.

and p.s. everybody, the name of the bluegrass band is head for the hills. Anybody heard of em?

Hogan11
05-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Have already seen:

The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Cynics
The Ugly Beats
The Rainy Day Saints

Seeing The Chesterfield Kings Sunday night. Only other show scheduled after that is The Dex Romweber Duo & The Detroit Cobras in June.

ColoradoBuff
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Rockfest in KC Mo, memorial day. 50000 people crammed into one park.

Korn
Shinedown
Drowing Pool
Saving Abel

bout 15 other bands

wow!!! now that's a great lineup!

Hogan11
05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Holy Shait...a Throbbing Gristle fan. First time ever seeing anyone else say they like them. Kudos to you sir :thumbsup:

Now, if only I could meet another Pere Ubu fan.........

orange crusher
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
My last concert was KISS at Rockin' the Rally (Sturgis). The next one will probably be Tesla & Hinder at the Buffalo Chip (Sturgis) in August.

Inkana7
05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll hopefully be seeing Dylan soon.

TheManeMan
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Pennywise

I'll be at both! :militia:

broncosteven
05-15-2009, 05:45 PM

I think June 24th?

You ever hear of Cornmeal?

Evenrude
05-15-2009, 06:00 PM

I think June 24th?

Going to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed and Robert Earl Kean Jr. next weekend in Counciltucky. Third time seeing CCR first time for REK.

Florida_Bronco
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Going to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed and Robert Earl Kean Jr. next weekend in Counciltucky. Third time seeing CCR first time for REK.

Holy crap! Look who it is!

Evenrude
05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Holy crap! Look who it is!

Heyya. :wave:

Guess I better get around to changing my adopt-a-bronco eh?

Ironlung
05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Been to 3 shows in the last 2 months. Mastodon-with Kylesa, and Intronaut. Lamb of God-with As I Lay Dying, Children of Bodem, and God Forbid. CLUTCH- Last night!!! One of the best live bands you'll ever see. I've seen em 3 times in the last 14 months. I'll never miss a Clutch show when they're around

SouthStndJunkie
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I'll hopefully be seeing Dylan soon.

Don't waste your money....he puts on a crappy half assed show these days.

12th man
05-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Going to the Mile High music festival in July. it's a 2 day event but I"m only going to the first day. still I'll be able to see Tool, incubus, widespread panic, ben harper and a lot more bands on the list. cant wait!

Boobs McGee
05-16-2009, 11:26 AM
so the show last night was badass. The fiddle player was out of control crazy good, and the guys were just JAMMIN! I think I was the only dude in the place with shoes on, but **** if it wasn't a helluva concert. Plus, Mishiwaka is a super sweet venue. Highly recommend checkin em out even if you're not into blue grass

Malcontent
05-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Going to the Mile High music festival in July. it's a 2 day event but I"m only going to the first day. still I'll be able to see Tool, incubus, widespread panic, ben harper and a lot more bands on the list. cant wait!

WOW!!! that is an epic day!! Is there tix left??

Cool Breeze
05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.mkblog.mk-magazine.com/news_7-08/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/british-steel.jpg

At Red Rocks August 11th!

SportinOne
05-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Holy Shait...a Throbbing Gristle fan. First time ever seeing anyone else say they like them. Kudos to you sir :thumbsup:

Now, if only I could meet another Pere Ubu fan.........

Just checked out their wiki and saw: art punk, experimental rock, and industrial rock (among others) in their genre column. I need to check into this..

Also, how was Brian Jonestown Massacre? I really wanted to catch them at coachella but the schedule was just too crowded.

Boobs McGee
05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
okay, as much as I love Flight of the Conchords on t.v., that concert was NOT what I expected. Kind of a let down actually...I mean, the guys are still funny, but it was basically just the two of them (plus a bass player for a portion of the show) doing skits with acoustic guitars. Glad I went, but definitely won't be seein em live again any time soon.

Maybe in a smaller venue it would've been different?

The whole night just kinda seemed to drag on. I was laughing hysterically at some points, and just kinda wishing it would hurry up at others.

meh.

Best song of the night was the last one of the encore, Alby the Racist dragon. HA.

Oh well, it was red rocks, and it was tailgating,
so boo ya

Karenin
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Gadds man !!! Mastadon is freaking horrible

Pennywise

Black label society and sevendust.

When you listen to garbage like sevendust and Pennywise, you aren't allowed to call Mastodon horrible.

Karenin
05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
okay, as much as I love Flight of the Conchords on t.v., that concert was NOT what I expected.

Huh? I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting, given the TV show. Did you think they were going to build a couple sets and act out a few episodes, complete with Murray and Mel or something? What they did is exactly what they were doing before they had a TV show, and if you paid attention to that, or even checked out their live videos on Youtube, you would have known exactly what you were in for. Oh, and it's a cello, not a bass.

SportinOne
05-17-2009, 12:14 PM
okay, as much as I love Flight of the Conchords on t.v., that concert was NOT what I expected. Kind of a let down actually...I mean, the guys are still funny, but it was basically just the two of them (plus a bass player for a portion of the show) doing skits with acoustic guitars. Glad I went, but definitely won't be seein em live again any time soon.

Maybe in a smaller venue it would've been different?

The whole night just kinda seemed to drag on. I was laughing hysterically at some points, and just kinda wishing it would hurry up at others.

meh.

Best song of the night was the last one of the encore, Alby the Racist dragon. HA.

Oh well, it was red rocks, and it was tailgating,
so boo ya

Alby the Racist dragon is fantastic.

That being said... I think you just dissed somebody's boy crush (see above).

Boobs McGee
05-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Huh? I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting, given the TV show. Did you think they were going to build a couple sets and act out a few episodes, complete with Murray and Mel or something? What they did is exactly what they were doing before they had a TV show, and if you paid attention to that, or even checked out their live videos on Youtube, you would have known exactly what you were in for. Oh, and it's a cello, not a bass.

Wow, pardon me. Cello. Thank you instrument police.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I thought there would be a few more props. And YES, Murray (or in case you felt like being actorially correct as well, rhys darby) has been at some of their shows, so I was hoping he'd make a guest appearance, much like arje did.

I wasn't following them until the show on HBO, so wasn't really searching for previous concerts on the net to compare with.

So to reiterate, it wasn't what I expected. I expected some more dancing, a few more instruments, and more skit like songs.

Don't get your panties in a bunch there buddy ;)

Boobs McGee
05-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Alby the Racist dragon is fantastic.

That being said... I think you just dissed somebody's boy crush (see above).

:rofl: I think you're right. Apparently SOMEBODY is posting in disguise here on the mane.

Karenin

=

http://bigscreenlittlescreen.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/mel.jpg

Karenin
05-17-2009, 12:27 PM
My panties aren't a bunch, I couldn't care less if you had fun or not, I personally had a great time because I knew exactly what to expect and didn't have unrealistic expectations like you did. I'd suggest in the future you do a cursory amount of research before you buy your tickets and you won't have such a negative experience.

Karenin
05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
:rofl: I think you're right. Apparently SOMEBODY is posting in disguise here on the mane.

Karenin

=

http://bigscreenlittlescreen.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/mel.jpg

OH WOW AAHAHAHAHAHAH WOWOW AHAHHAHHAH YEA YOU REALLY GOT ME BRO,AHAHAHAHAAH
AAHAHAHAAHA
HAAHAHA
HAAHAHA
HAAHAHAHA
AHAH
HILARIOUS ZINGER!!!111

Boobs McGee
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
My panties aren't a bunch, I couldn't care less if you had fun or not, I personally had a great time because I knew exactly what to expect and didn't have unrealistic expectations like you did. I'd suggest in the future you do a cursory amount of research before you buy your tickets and you won't have such a negative experience.

did I say a negative experience? I believe you're putting words in my mouth. Laughing hysterically, in some parts.

I'll say it again. Thought it was funny, just not what I expected.

I didn't have any "unrealistic expectations", they're ****ing hilarious and that's what I wanted. Partially what I got, but definitely NOT what I had pictured in my mind.

Peace out negative nancy, it was an opinion. Everybody's got em.

Ironlung
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
When you listen to garbage like sevendust and Pennywise, you aren't allowed to call Mastodon horrible.

werd

oubronco
05-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Boobs McGee
05-17-2009, 06:44 PM

That would be the delicious and colorado raised jessica biel. ****ing hot :thumbs:

Dagmar
05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
That would be the delicious and Boulder raised jessica biel. ****ing hot :thumbs:

:thumbsup:

And I thought the show was great. I was paying for it this morning...

MrPeepers
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
NIN / Janes Addiction / Street Sweeper were great. The whole show was awesome, if they are in your town it's the last chance to see Reznor and company before he hangs it up... for a bit. Tom Morello rocked out! Janes was alot of fun.

Just when I thought the summer was over for great shows in Phoenix.

They announced Tool playing July 22, but its not gone live yet. That will be the best show of the summer for me.

FADERPROOF
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I started my summer concert with Music as a Weapon 4:

Lacuna Coil-not really a big fan of them live
Chimara - Pretty hard metal, but from northeast ohio so I gotta like them a bit
Killswitch Engage- They kicked ass, played a lot of songs from end of heartache CD and closed with their cover of Holy Diver...awesome!
DISTURBED- 2nd time seeing them, very very good, only gripe was their set was about 1 hour 30 mins and only played 3 songs off their latest CD "Indestructible", could've made it 15-20 minutes longer to play a few more songs.

June 21st - Offspring with Dropkick Murphys: Used to like Offspring and saw them open for Korn years back, mainly going for DKM!

July 21st - Cruefest 2: I'll sit through **** until Godsmack comes on, then Motley Crue! Can't wait

July 31st - Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem festival: A whole bunch of bands on 3 different stages, Main strage is: Mushroom Head(filling in for Nullet for my Valentine for this concert date, which sucks bad!), Killswitch Engage, Slayer and Marilyn Manson

That is all for now.

FADERPROOF
05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
NIN / Janes Addiction / Street Sweeper were great. The whole show was awesome, if they are in your town it's the last chance to see Reznor and company before he hangs it up... for a bit. Tom Morello rocked out! Janes was alot of fun.

Just when I thought the summer was over for great shows in Phoenix.

They announced Tool playing July 22, but its not gone live yet. That will be the best show of the summer for me.

Sucks so bad that NIN isn't coming to Cleveland(only seen them once on their with teeth tour), they have a pretty good setlist?

And Tool has been my favorite band since '94, I pray that they come out with a tour date to Cleveland.

cutthemdown
05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
saw beastie boys last summer with Tenacious D, they were ****in BAD ASS live!

FloridaBronco - Totally agree, they moved up to my favorite live band ever last year....well, it's a tie because when I saw Tom Petty that was just incredible too, but 311 sounds exactly like their albums, really play to the crowd, and have kick ass sets. whoopty WHOOP

I gotta admit rap isn't my thing but some of it I like a lot. A close G/F of mine begged me to score tickets to see Beastie boys, and its at hollywood bowl, so it will be a huge party for LA, and I just can't miss that. So I'm going.

TOWER OF POWER I'm way more excited about and is more my thing, but I know Beastie Boys is going to be a way more exciting and fun overall night.

So for the party, hollywood bowl, going to LA= Beastie Boys
So for more the music= Tower of Power

The thing with live music is it's about a lot more then the music.

I know people that hate Jazz but I take them to a Jazz festival and they have a great time. Live music just more interesting and even stuff that isn't your favorite you can experience and find it interesting and even fun.

Boobs McGee
05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I gotta admit rap isn't my thing but some of it I like a lot. A close G/F of mine begged me to score tickets to see Beastie boys, and its at hollywood bowl, so it will be a huge party for LA, and I just can't miss that. So I'm going.

TOWER OF POWER I'm way more excited about and is more my thing, but I know Beastie Boys is going to be a way more exciting and fun overall night.

So for the party, hollywood bowl, going to LA= Beastie Boys
So for more the music= Tower of Power

The thing with live music is it's about a lot more then the music.

I know people that hate Jazz but I take them to a Jazz festival and they have a great time. Live music just more interesting and even stuff that isn't your favorite you can experience and find it interesting and even fun.

Agree completely. Live music has so much going on...you get to see the instruments, the artists, the vibe is just different.

Tower of Power is ****ing AWESOME 8') good on ya for that, will be a kick ass show. They're comin to boulder, REALLY want to get tix for it.

Beastie boys is gonna be a BIG TIME party, one of the funner shows I've been to. TONS of chics shakin their asses. Great sound live, especially if they've got a band with em.

Boobs McGee
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
I started my summer concert with Music as a Weapon 4:

Lacuna Coil-not really a big fan of them live
Chimara - Pretty hard metal, but from northeast ohio so I gotta like them a bit
Killswitch Engage- They kicked ass, played a lot of songs from end of heartache CD and closed with their cover of Holy Diver...awesome!
DISTURBED- 2nd time seeing them, very very good, only gripe was their set was about 1 hour 30 mins and only played 3 songs off their latest CD "Indestructible", could've made it 15-20 minutes longer to play a few more songs.

June 21st - Offspring with Dropkick Murphys: Used to like Offspring and saw them open for Korn years back, mainly going for DKM!

July 21st - Cruefest 2: I'll sit through **** until Godsmack comes on, then Motley Crue! Can't wait

July 31st - Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem festival: A whole bunch of bands on 3 different stages, Main strage is: Mushroom Head(filling in for Nullet for my Valentine for this concert date, which sucks bad!), Killswitch Engage, Slayer and Marilyn Manson

That is all for now.

that's kind of a bummer, heard them for the first time on guitar hero and was actually thinking about trying to see a show....what was wrong with the show? Crap, live? Not good vocals?

Offspring and the DKM's played at 93.3's big gig last year....****IN BADASS!!!! That was one of my favorite shows of the year. They straight out jam, should be a great show

Majik
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
https://www.chicagomag.com/images/Advertise/2009/MidwestTravelGuide09/MWTG_Summerfest.jpg

Majik
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I can't wait for this one, July 16th in Madison.

http://www.fearlessrecords.com/blessthefall/tour/abr_web_tourart.jpg

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Just got some really good seats for Steely Dan. They are playing some special shows where they do whole albums in order. I'm actually going to the interent request night where the ticket holders pick the set list online.

Pretty cool idea.

Florida_Bronco
06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I saw 3 Doors Down after the Rays/Twins game (my very first MLB game :) ) a few weeks back. The concert was great, save for the crappy audio system at Tropicana Field.

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I saw 3 Doors Down after the Rays/Twins game (my very first MLB game :) ) a few weeks back. The concert was great, save for the crappy audio system at Tropicana Field.

honestly if the sound isn't good I rate it a crappy concert. Sounding good is part of the deal to me. 3 doors down needs a better engineer or something because with todays advanced audio equipment there is no reason to not sound good. If they didn't have there regular gear then that would explain it.

Hogan11
06-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Cracker is playing for free next Thursday night, so I said what the hell.

Hogan11
06-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Also, how was Brian Jonestown Massacre? I really wanted to catch them at coachella but the schedule was just too crowded.

It was a pretty tense atmosphere, the club was oversold, people could hardly move, the band was confrontational, some responded in kind...you know, the usual BJM thing. The band was great though, the set was solid and Anton was every bit the asshole I thought he'd be.

Florida_Bronco
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
honestly if the sound isn't good I rate it a crappy concert. Sounding good is part of the deal to me. 3 doors down needs a better engineer or something because with todays advanced audio equipment there is no reason to not sound good. If they didn't have there regular gear then that would explain it.

This one was on Tropicana Field. Their audio is horrible, even during the games. Unfortunately I didn't have the field pass so I was watching from the stands and as a result, hearing most of the sound through the PA system.

I also went with a friend who had seen them in concert before and said that they had always sounded great before at actual concert venues.

cutthemdown
06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
This one was on Tropicana Field. Their audio is horrible, even during the games. Unfortunately I didn't have the field pass so I was watching from the stands and as a result, hearing most of the sound through the PA system.

I also went with a friend who had seen them in concert before and said that they had always sounded great before at actual concert venues.

venue is a big part of a good concert. The Steely Dan show I'm going to is at the Universal Amphitheater. It has a top notch sound system.

Just not worth it to me anymore to hear crappy sound. IMO a band should refuse to play through shoddy PA systems because they want to make sure everything they is at a high level.

Florida_Bronco
06-13-2009, 12:31 AM
venue is a big part of a good concert. The Steely Dan show I'm going to is at the Universal Amphitheater. It has a top notch sound system.

Just not worth it to me anymore to hear crappy sound. IMO a band should refuse to play through shoddy PA systems because they want to make sure everything they is at a high level.

Yeah, but since the concert was included in the ticket (only $15) it wasn't too bad.

cutthemdown
06-13-2009, 12:32 AM
One thing I love about being in Southern California is all the great concerts and concert venues we have.

I would to see a show at Red Rocks that sounds like a good place to see a show.

I love smaller venues though. The Catalina Bar and Grill, The Coach House, Baked Potato, House of Blues, are some of my favorite spots to go see shows at. Oh yeah and for real old school jazz Charlie O's.

chawknz
06-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I drove past the Gothic theater yesterday and saw that Buckethead is coming. I will be going to see him for sure.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2009, 08:49 AM
saw 311 last night at Red ROcks.

WOW that was a ****ing awesome show!!!

It was raining at first, but only enough to get a bunch of steam goin in the crowd. They just sound so great live! MAN! My voice is gone, my knee hurts, and i think i rolled an ankle, but dammit, worth every bit of pain!

They played a LOT of stuff of the new uplifter album, which consequently I didn't really enjoy at first when I purchased last week, (but on about the third listen through I was pretty stolked) and lemme tell you every song they played was absolutely phenomenal. They had 5 man drum jam, Pnut had a base that lit up (and his solo at one point just ****ing ROCKED), the lights were perfect, the sound was incredible!

I'm seriously going to every show of theirs that comes through denver, as long as they're on tour.

It seems like every time I see them it just gets better and better.

Ziggy Marley was ALSO jammin, although I was pretty hammered for that part, so spent a lot of time sitting through his songs. BUT, I love his music so it felt like a typical party at my house or something haha.

THE ONLY negative about last night was the seating.

I had GA (general admission). Now, when you HAVE GA, you're obviously not guaranteed a spot, so you find your seat, you stay there, or have your group stay there. Anywho. Last night, some jackasses kept standing back up on their bench in front of our group, and we couldn't see. So basically between them and the other random people that kept coming down trying to seat jack, I missed a bit of the show because I was trying to make room for the first timers in our group. Seriously, I was being INCREDIBLY polite at first, then this douche turns around and starts getting in my face. So I very gently squeezed his shoulders and leaned in close, tryng to make my point. This guy wanted to fight me because HE WAS BEING AN INCONSIDERATE ASSHOLE! HILARIOUS!!! Long story short I convinced he and his group that it wasn't a good idea.

I just wish people would just be a little more considerate, and have some proper concert ettiquette, ya know?

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting older haha.

SO< to conclude, the concert was, as always, ****ING DOPE!!!!!!

311 = greatest band on earth in this boy's mind :D

(and p.s. no hand job from a random fat girl this year ;) )

Hogan11
06-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I love smaller venues though. The Catalina Bar and Grill, The Coach House, Baked Potato, House of Blues, are some of my favorite spots to go see shows at. Oh yeah and for real old school jazz Charlie O's.

Nothing beats the intimacy of a small venue, especially one where you can interact with the artists themselves. I've become so spoiled by this that I don't even look at stadium/large venue shows anymore....I mean after being exposed to that kind of intimacy time and again, paying big bucks to be way in the back watching the show on large screens above and on the sides of the stage just doesn't cut it anymore.

Florida_Bronco
06-13-2009, 11:32 AM
saw 311 last night at Red ROcks.

WOW that was a ****ing awesome show!!!

It was raining at first, but only enough to get a bunch of steam goin in the crowd. They just sound so great live! MAN! My voice is gone, my knee hurts, and i think i rolled an ankle, but dammit, worth every bit of pain!

They played a LOT of stuff of the new uplifter album, which consequently I didn't really enjoy at first when I purchased last week, (but on about the third listen through I was pretty stolked) and lemme tell you every song they played was absolutely phenomenal. They had 5 man drum jam, Pnut had a base that lit up (and his solo at one point just ****ing ROCKED), the lights were perfect, the sound was incredible!

I'm seriously going to every show of theirs that comes through denver, as long as they're on tour.

It seems like every time I see them it just gets better and better.

Ziggy Marley was ALSO jammin, although I was pretty hammered for that part, so spent a lot of time sitting through his songs. BUT, I love his music so it felt like a typical party at my house or something haha.

THE ONLY negative about last night was the seating.

I had GA (general admission). Now, when you HAVE GA, you're obviously not guaranteed a spot, so you find your seat, you stay there, or have your group stay there. Anywho. Last night, some jackasses kept standing back up on their bench in front of our group, and we couldn't see. So basically between them and the other random people that kept coming down trying to seat jack, I missed a bit of the show because I was trying to make room for the first timers in our group. Seriously, I was being INCREDIBLY polite at first, then this douche turns around and starts getting in my face. So I very gently squeezed his shoulders and leaned in close, tryng to make my point. This guy wanted to fight me because HE WAS BEING AN INCONSIDERATE a-hole! HILARIOUS!!! Long story short I convinced he and his group that it wasn't a good idea.

I just wish people would just be a little more considerate, and have some proper concert ettiquette, ya know?

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting older haha.

SO< to conclude, the concert was, as always, ****ING DOPE!!!!!!

311 = greatest band on earth in this boy's mind :D

(and p.s. no hand job from a random fat girl this year ;) )

Glad you had a great time. 311 is definitely the best live band I've ever seen and I always have a blast at their shows.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Glad you had a great time. 311 is definitely the best live band I've ever seen and I always have a blast at their shows.

Thanks man, and I agree 100%
Didn't you say you were going at some point this summer?

Btw what'd you think of the new album? New producer?

Florida_Bronco
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks man, and I agree 100%
Didn't you say you were going at some point this summer?

Btw what'd you think of the new album? New producer?

Yeah I've seen them before. Most recently on their summer tour in 2007 and on the spring tour back in April.

epicSocialism4tw
06-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Just saw Animal Collective...very impressive show on this tour.

Saw Kings of Leon.

Saw Centromatic a couple of times.

Saw lots of local stuff.

Will see Toadies, Mew, Flaming Lips, Jesus Lizard, the Walkmen, the Dodos...alot of stuff on the slate.

epicSocialism4tw
06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Nothing beats the intimacy of a small venue, especially one where you can interact with the artists themselves. I've become so spoiled by this that I don't even look at stadium/large venue shows anymore....I mean after being exposed to that kind of intimacy time and again, paying big bucks to be way in the back watching the show on large screens above and on the sides of the stage just doesn't cut it anymore.

Yeah. Its not even worth going unless you are catching a once-in-a-lifetime show.

The small venue show is the true live music experience.

Hogan11
06-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Saw Kings of Leon.

Saw lots of local stuff.

Will see Toadies, Mew, Flaming Lips, Jesus Lizard, the Walkmen, the Dodos...alot of stuff on the slate.

The Walkmen put on a great show.

smalltowngrll
06-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Saw the Avett Brothers a few weeks back at the Crystal Ballroom.

Going to see Jaimie Foxx at The Joint in Vegas in a few weeks.

Going to Pickathon at the end of July. (Dr. Dog, John Doe and the Sadies, Vetiver, The Sadies, Thao with the Get Down Stay Down, Big Sandy and his Fly Right Boys, Jay May, Justin Townes Earle, Dale Watson, The Freight Hoppers, Lost Bayou Ramblers, Hackensaw Boys, Samantha Crain and the Midnight Shivers and about 30 others) This is a 4 day festival! Can't wait!

Probably see Ween when they come through town.

We don't have any good concerts coming to town this year. Kinda sucks.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Saw Kings of Leon.

Saw lots of local stuff.

how were they llama? Buddy of mine is going to sell me a cheap ticket, worth it? (35 bucks)

epicSocialism4tw
06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
how were they llama? Buddy of mine is going to sell me a cheap ticket, worth it? (35 bucks)

I was disappointed. They were good, but not as good as I had expected. I expected some great guitar tone and a sharp rhythm section, but instead got some washy tones and a skittish drummer. Dude's voice was solid though...he has a nice voice for live shows.

I didnt see them on their current arena tour...I saw them in a medium sized club. Their sound wasnt as powerful as I had hoped.

However, its a good rock show from one of the better acts of this generation of guitar-oriented rock music. I would go, personally.

Drink some Shiner and enjoy the show.

Hogan11
06-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah. Its not even worth going unless you are catching a once-in-a-lifetime show.

The small venue show is the true live music experience.

This is why I pass on Bonaroo every year....well, that and the whole hippy festival thing isn't really my scene.

Hogan11
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
John Doe and the Sadies.

Met John Doe once three years ago....real nice guy. Got a pic with him floating around somewhere on this site.

I've seen The Sadies few times, they're always backing up someone...they're really good players.

epicSocialism4tw
06-13-2009, 10:55 PM
This is why I pass on Bonaroo every year....well, that and the whole hippy festival thing isn't really my scene.

The smell of armpits and pachouli can be annoying after walking around in the heat all day.

NYBronco
06-14-2009, 04:32 AM

Bonaroo is too big, the hippy thing reminds me of the old days growing up in Denver and going to mega concerts at the old Mile High Stadium and Folsom field in Boulder.

I have been to the Fingerlakes music festival in Trumansburg NY and enjoyed the music diversity and people. I was surprised to learn that women can go topless without fear of being detained and arrested. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

The smaller music festivals are great for me because I tend to make a road trip out of it and get to see areas that I would never see. The music is diverse and some of the smaller bands really put out some good music. Often I see the band members walking around the festivals and are very approachable and seem to welcome talking with the people.

We have recently adopted Floydfest in Floyd, Va as our yearly music festival outing. Sadly it is getting more popular and drawing larger crowds.

bombay
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM

For the Red Rocks show?

Go, for sure.

Boobs McGee
06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
For the Red Rocks show?

Go, for sure.

That's what I'm thinkin. Hopefully, it's better than llama's experience (maybe the drummer and guitarist were just drunk ;) )....I like alot of the songs on their album, so we'll see

bombay
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
That's what I'm thinkin. Hopefully, it's better than llama's experience (maybe the drummer and guitarist were just drunk ;) )....I like alot of the songs on their album, so we'll see

I've seen them three times now, and every show has been a little better than the last. All pretty small venues up 'til now. Although last time was at the Fillmore, so there were 3 or 4 thousand people there. I don't know what skillet saw, but I've seen no clunkers from them.

bombay
06-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Saw Ozric Tentacles at the Fox in Boulder last week.

Ho hum.

We were in NYC in April, and saw Alan Holdsworth and Les Paul at the Iridium Club (separate nights). Les is 93 and still plays the guitar very well. I just wanted to see him while he was still around.

Hogan11
06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Bonaroo is too big, the hippy thing reminds me of the old days growing up in Denver and going to mega concerts at the old Mile High Stadium and Folsom field in Boulder.

I have been to the Fingerlakes music festival in Trumansburg NY and enjoyed the music diversity and people. I was surprised to learn that women can go topless without fear of being detained and arrested. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

The smaller music festivals are great for me because I tend to make a road trip out of it and get to see areas that I would never see. The music is diverse and some of the smaller bands really put out some good music. Often I see the band members walking around the festivals and are very approachable and seem to welcome talking with the people.

We have recently adopted Floydfest in Floyd, Va as our yearly music festival outing. Sadly it is getting more popular and drawing larger crowds.

I even balk at the smaller festivals anymore because of my club experiences but I will say that given the show, I would entertain the notion of going....but like Skillet said, it would have to be something pretty special to me to get that kind of consideration.

I'm just beyond the Festival thing now...it's not my scene.

Conklin
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
No Doubt/Paramore in 2 weeks.

Tech N9ne maybe, depending on if I'm in Denver next week or not.

Snoop Dogg perhaps.

I used to be a big concert guy, but I haven't seen a live show in years now. I'm kind of excited to have some things like this on tap.

Edit: And I know that going to No Doubt gets my man card ripped from me, but Tragic Kingdom was a sweet CD, and Paramore is REALLY catchy.

and here i thought i was the only one on this board that's a tech fan, saw him while i was in vegas last month, and being from missouri, i've seen him upwards of 20 or so times over the last near decade

epicSocialism4tw
06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I even balk at the smaller festivals anymore because of my club experiences but I will say that given the show, I would entertain the notion of going....but like Skillet said, it would have to be something pretty special to me to get that kind of consideration.

I'm just beyond the Festival thing now...it's not my scene.

It really is a ripoff.

You pay too much for a ticket for a chance to see a reduced set/reduced performance from a few bands that you like. You spend all day walking around in the heat on a completely trashed fairground (or whatever) with trash lining every walkway. The place smells of stale spilled beer, vomit, and those people that either didnt wear deodorant or whose deodorant has long-since worn away. The food/souvenirs are WAAAAY to expensive. You end up waiting in the hot sun for some crap band to end their set so that you can catch someone you came for.

Its really not worth it. I'd rather divide the cost of that ticket by 3 and catch those same bands when they come through on tour.

Hogan11
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
First time seeing The Old 97's...pretty cool band if you're into that kinda thing. Cracker was okay, nothing really special..but hey for a free show, you can do a lot worse. Dave Lowery is a really strange guy, I think he was on something.

epicSocialism4tw
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
First time seeing The Old 97's...pretty cool band if you're into that kinda thing. Cracker was okay, nothing really special..but hey for a free show, you can do a lot worse. Dave Lowery is a really strange guy, I think he was on something.

Old 97's...:thumbsup:

A local stalwart. Played shows with them back in the mid 90's.

Malcontent
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Prolly already posted, but Aerosmith is doing "ROCKS" in its entirety..among others this summer..I will be there.

Karenin
06-19-2009, 10:59 PM

wow, sick brag.

not.

epicSocialism4tw
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
wow, sick brag.

not.

Wow. You used "sick' and "not" in the same post.

You might try to see if you can fit "rad", "psych", "gnarly", "awesome", "far out", and "the bees knees" into the next post so that you can begin working towards completing the "all used-up generational teen vocabulary pantheon" over the next couple of days. Heck...you may even go modern and throw us all off by including "epic" and "fail".

Beantown Bronco
06-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Going to see Better than Ezra tonight at a local Boston club.

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Got some more tickets last night for Blink 182 and Weezer lol. Not my think usually but I will go with an open mind. Irvine Meadows, killer seats, pretty cool chick I'm going with so we will see.

Still something about the whole pop punk genre bugs me.

Karenin
06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Wow. You used "sick' and "not" in the same post.

You might try to see if you can fit "rad", "psych", "gnarly", "awesome", "far out", and "the bees knees" into the next post so that you can begin working towards completing the "all used-up generational teen vocabulary pantheon" over the next couple of days. Heck...you may even go modern and throw us all off by including "epic" and "fail".

wow, that'll teach me to mess WITH SOMEONE THAT PLAYED WITH THE OLD 97S ONCE IN THE 1990S!!!!!!111 Sorry, forgot that I was dealing with a celebrity, please forgive me your highness.

p.s. who the **** are the Old 97s anyways? If you're going to try to brag about opening for some crappy band, at least make it one people have heard of.

gunns
06-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Went to Smokey Robinson last night (great!) and going to Earth, Wind, and Fire with Chicago in Vegas July 25th.

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Went to Smokey Robinson last night (great!) and going to Earth, Wind, and Fire with Chicago in Vegas July 25th.

The thing with both those bands is they are missing the players that made them so good. I have seen EWF twice since they started playing again and also caught Chicago once a few yrs back. I had a good time but man too bad Terry Kath died because with him died Chicago's edge and soul.

epicSocialism4tw
06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
wow, that'll teach me to mess WITH SOMEONE THAT PLAYED WITH THE OLD 97S ONCE IN THE 1990S!!!!!!111 Sorry, forgot that I was dealing with a celebrity, please forgive me your highness.

p.s. who the **** are the Old 97s anyways? If you're going to try to brag about opening for some crappy band, at least make it one people have heard of.

The above post is what happens when kids' brains are on drugs.

Mind your business. I was talking with the other guy.

Karenin
06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Truth hurts, I know. Don't worry, you'll always be able to tell the grandkids about that one time you played with the Old 97s. They'll say "who?" and continue to think of you as a failure, but at least you'll be a hero in your own mind.

gunns
06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
The thing with both those bands is they are missing the players that made them so good. I have seen EWF twice since they started playing again and also caught Chicago once a few yrs back. I had a good time but man too bad Terry Kath died because with him died Chicago's edge and soul.

EWF has never really stopped playing. They still have Maurice, Verdine, Bailey and Johnson from the beginning. I don't think they've lost many members that make a big change. This will be my 7th time seeing them. Chicago I will agree with. Terribly sad about Kath. And I didn't realize that EWF and Chicago have been touring together off and on since 2004.

gunns
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Truth hurts, I know. Don't worry, you'll always be able to tell the grandkids about that one time you played with the Old 97s. They'll say "who?" and continue to think of you as a failure, but at least you'll be a hero in your own mind.

Was wondering if someone just **** in your Wheaties this morning or if this is your trend. Read some of your other posts and it's definitely a trend. Someone who loves to attack but acts like he's a savy poster when it happens to him. NOT. (Ew there's that word again.) You should be a hoot to watch post around here.

Was also wondering, are you jealous that you can't post you opened for any band or just like to put people down to make yourself feel better?

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
EWF has never really stopped playing. They still have Maurice, Verdine, Bailey and Johnson from the beginning. I don't think they've lost many members that make a big change. This will be my 7th time seeing them. Chicago I will agree with. Terribly sad about Kath. And I didn't realize that EWF and Chicago have been touring together off and on since 2004.

Well back in the day they had way better horn players. Pretty sure Ronnie Laws not touring with them anymore. Then they had Pheonix horns led by Don Myrick who was one of my favorite funk sax players.

I saw EWF for my sis bday last yr and they were pretty good you will have a good time, I just felt the horns were nowhere near what they used to be.

Chicago I bet will just play all there stuff since like Chicago 16 etc. Man back in the day people have no idea what a rocking band was. After Cetera took over IMO it went sort of cheesy.

Still though I would probably see them if I had the chance. Listen really close for the horn parts and see if you think they are up to par with EWF old recordings or live stuff.

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Also EWF original guitar player, well he came on in 1973 I think so a couple yrs after founding was Al Mckay. He had some sort of falling out with Maurice and doesn't play with them anymore.

He really was the sound of the funky guitar and IMO it's not near at his level anymore. So listen really close to guitar comping and the horns and see what you think. I'm interested to see what you think.

Hogan11
06-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Got some more tickets last night for Blink 182 and Weezer lol. Not my think usually but I will go with an open mind. Irvine Meadows, killer seats, pretty cool chick I'm going with so we will see.

Still something about the whole pop punk genre bugs me.

It's the nasal vocals that turn me off a lot of it....Tom DeLonge's especially, is probably the very worst of the genre. He sounds like that bratty kid you'd just love to punch in the face repeatedly.

Hogan11
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Go back to your Rick Dees Weekly Top 40, this is adult swim.

Hogan11
06-20-2009, 01:38 PM

I admit, I was impressed. That's surprising because I'm really not much into the whole alt-country/cowpunk thing, but they did just enough to overcome my anti-country bias.

gunns
06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Well back in the day they had way better horn players. Pretty sure Ronnie Laws not touring with them anymore. Then they had Pheonix horns led by Don Myrick who was one of my favorite funk sax players.

I saw EWF for my sis bday last yr and they were pretty good you will have a good time, I just felt the horns were nowhere near what they used to be.

Chicago I bet will just play all there stuff since like Chicago 16 etc. Man back in the day people have no idea what a rocking band was. After Cetera took over IMO it went sort of cheesy.

Still though I would probably see them if I had the chance. Listen really close for the horn parts and see if you think they are up to par with EWF old recordings or live stuff.

When I was writing my post I was thinking about ths sax players. They don't seem to use them much anymore. Laws hasn't toured with them since the early 70's and I liked Woolfolk more anyway. Myrick was good and a tragedy what happened to him. Subject for another "cop" thread. No, they aren't up to what they once were but are any of us?

Karenin
06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Was also wondering, are you jealous that you can't post you opened for any band or just like to put people down to make yourself feel better?

I've opened for bands that have gold records and grammy nominations.

Your turn.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I saw the Old 97s about 10 times in the late 90s at Trees. My friend's band, The Calways, used to open for them.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Why hasn't your dumb ass been banned yet? Seriously, you don't bring a ****ing thing to the table. All you do is troll and badger others. **** off already.

Northman
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Monday night, ABSU and Sothis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunns
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Your turn.

My turn? I've never opened for any band, can't carry a note in a bucket and have no real musical talent. I think that's great that you've opened for bands and McSkillet too. Just was a little amused at your "my band is better than yours" immaturity.

Oh this is where I'm supposed to say "wow sick brag".

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
When I was writing my post I was thinking about ths sax players. They don't seem to use them much anymore. Laws hasn't toured with them since the early 70's and I liked Woolfolk more anyway. Myrick was good and a tragedy what happened to him. Subject for another "cop" thread. No, they aren't up to what they once were but are any of us?

Yeah I feel sort of same way. Being a sax player that is why I probably don't like them as much anymore.

Now if you get a chance get out and see Tower of Power this summer.

I did notice on the webpage they are showing a bigger horn section this tour. If I remember right it was only 3 guys last time I saw them, and this time it looks like they have 4 horns. So maybe they also though the last few tours the horns were a little weak and they are remedying the problem.

Northman
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
My turn? I've never opened for any band, can't carry a note in a bucket and have no real musical talent. I think that's great that you've opened for bands and McSkillet too. Just was a little amused at your "my band is better than yours" immaturity.

Oh this is where I'm supposed to say "wow sick brag".

Its ok Gunns, most Grammy Nomination bands suck anyway. Ha!

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
big deal my band opened for Poncho Sanchez.......twice.......Doesn't mean much other then we were local, could sell 50 tickets and play somewhat decent.

So what do you play Karenin?

epicSocialism4tw
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I admit, I was impressed. That's surprising because I'm really not much into the whole alt-country/cowpunk thing, but they did just enough to overcome my anti-country bias.

They have matured into a very nice thing. I'm not a fan of alt-country either, but they have character and Rhett Miller is a very good songwriter. Alt-country is growing like weeds around here. Bleh.

epicSocialism4tw
06-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I saw the Old 97s about 10 times in the late 90s at Trees. My friend's band, The Calways, used to open for them.

I know a couple of those guys as well. I really liked the Calways. We always ended up on bills with other bands back in those days...the more punk-oriented shows that were common back then. But I got to know the Calways pretty well...especially Todd who worked for me for awhile. Heck, you and I may have met at some point back then because I was a regular at just about every local venue there is. I have some pretty funny stories about playing at Trees!

Spider
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I read this entire thread , there has to be a mistake , not one mention of Nickle back ....... I am sure it was just an oversite by most of you guys

epicSocialism4tw
06-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I read this entire thread , there has to be a mistake , not one mention of Nickle back ....... I am sure it was just an oversite by most of you guys

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtgSAlclqS8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtgSAlclqS8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some Nickleback action.

I wouldnt condone such things, but evidently Portugal dislikes Nickleback as much as I do.

mhgaffney
06-21-2009, 05:10 AM
That is about what I'd expect from a spider.

Here is the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tzmS_EKFMw

Spider
06-21-2009, 05:56 AM

Here is the real deal:

I'd hit it

gunns
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM

Here is the real deal:

Sounds like typical country music. Can't stand country music. I told my kids get an education because if you don't you may have to resort to being a country music singer because anyone can do that. To those who like country music, to each his own. To those that sing it, I'm sorry.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-21-2009, 06:18 AM
I know a couple of those guys as well. I really liked the Calways. We always ended up on bills with other bands back in those days...the more punk-oriented shows that were common back then. But I got to know the Calways pretty well...especially Todd who worked for me for awhile. Heck, you and I may have met at some point back then because I was a regular at just about every local venue there is. I have some pretty funny stories about playing at Trees!

Todd Pertl is/was the man and I still am pretty close with the drummer, Kyle Goolsby.

SportinOne
06-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Your turn.

You've opened for these bands. You weren't IN these bands. And even if you were, I would hope you could take enough satisfaction out of that to not have to brag to people you've never met before about your "accomplishments."

Or do you do it every day? Impatiently waiting through every introduction to a new person so that you can blurt out your little record of achievement...

Congratulations, everyone is very impressed!

Hogan11
06-21-2009, 06:28 AM
They have matured into a very nice thing. I'm not a fan of alt-country either, but they have character and Rhett Miller is a very good songwriter. Alt-country is growing like weeds around here. Bleh.

Miller actually did a lot of his solo stuff without the band for the first encore. It was like watching Ryan Adams.

Alt-country rears it's ugly head every now and then and threatens to be the next big thing, but it never really seems to take off.....thank God.

epicSocialism4tw
06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Miller actually did a lot of his solo stuff without the band for the first encore. It was like watching Ryan Adams.

Alt-country rears it's ugly head every now and then and threatens to be the next big thing, but it never really seems to take off.....thank God.

There isnt much out there with less of an edge than alt-country. Its just too boring. The Rolling Stones were about the only band I can think of who actually made it interesting.

Hogan11
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
There isnt much out there with less of an edge than alt-country. Its just too boring. The Rolling Stones were about the only band I can think of who actually made it interesting.

..and that was hit and miss IMHO. On the whole though, I agree completely.

broncosteven
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I saw Jet at the Double Door in Chicago last night.

The crowd was lame at the start but they got them rocking in the 2nd half.

I know people don't like them but I do not know why. I love the AC/DC, Beatles/Stones mix and they work hard live. The fact that the Brothers trade off singing is cool and makes for a better live show.

I am a fan for life.

broncosteven
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
WOOO HOOO,

I saw JET last night at HOB. They and Kill Hannan(?) had like a 16 hour drive from last show so they were tired but they are a great act to see in a small venue. No nonsense rock and roll, every song is perfect for performance.

My neck and back are killing me but it was great fun and we did find a place to sit for a while.