PDA

View Full Version : State of Delaware legalizes sports betting

TonyR
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Delaware Legalizes Sports Betting
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 14, 2009, 3:36 p.m. EDT

Round up the NFL legal team. It’s official.

The state of Delaware made sports betting legal today as Gov. Jack Martell signed a legislative bill into law, which sets the stage for a formal legal challenge from the NFL, according to the Associated Press.

It will likely trigger a race against the clock to seek a potential injunction since Delaware officials stated that they intend to have sports betting operational in the next three months in advance of the NFL and college football schedule.

The NFL have already filed a legal brief with Delaware’s state Supreme Court, making the argument that its games can’t be considered “chance” due to the role that skill plays in determining the outcome of games, according to the Wilmington News Journal.

A hearing is set for May 21 before the state Supreme Court.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/14/delaware-legalizes-sports-betting/

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4166612

Moreno Knows Best
05-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Pretty sweet. Hopefully this opens things up for more states to do this.

Also, in a related situation, I guess the state of New Jersey, or a Senator from New Jersey or something has now sued the United States stating that the Federal Law banning sports betting is unconstitutional. So we'll see how that works out.

~Crash~
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I bet it is so they can tax it because it is already going on .

Binkythefrog
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Delaware has no sales tax... so you're probably right, its just another way to make some money. I'm all for it, if people want to bet, let them.

Moreno Knows Best
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM

For sure, I think Delaware has a 50 million dollar deficit or something? Yeah, they're projecting that they will make a TON of money on this.

broncofan7
05-15-2009, 05:58 AM
For sure, I think Delaware has a 50 million dollar deficit or something? Yeah, they're projecting that they will make a TON of money on this.

Delaware has been a boon for democratic interests wuith strong union lobbyists, LARGE sections of poor & run down , section 8 housing complexes right next to $400-500K homes--with the down sizing if not outright closure of the Chrylser/GM plants--the economy there is struggling. In summary, large underclass living off of the government's teet and now that some of the larger businesses are leaving --the state is really in trouble.

The rumor was that the DE Parlay bets are only going to Pay 1:1 and that there will be some monetary limit (Like $25/bet)--if that is the case---you can go online and get much better odds and play with a little more scratch as well--so this may not be quite the boon that they think it will be---if the rumor is true --they should do it right or not do it at all IMHO.

Man-Goblin
05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Or imagine being able to be magically whisked away to....Delaware.......Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Popps
05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
States are going to start getting creative.

There's a bill coming this summer to allow a vote to legalize online poker intrastate in California. I think it's a great idea. California sends massive amounts overseas to online poker companies. As much as this state needs revenue, it seems a no-brainer to legalize and tax some of these things.