PDA

View Full Version : Wow!...Check out this cool story on Seth Olsen

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Hey I like this guy! How come this hasn't been reported anywhere yet by the Denver media? This dude's got a different agenda that deserves mention. Check it out:

http://hlog.iowa.com/2009/04/21/seth-olsen-has-more-than-the-nfl-in-his-sights/

Seth Olsen has more than the NFL in his sights

April 21st, 2009 by Mike Hlas

A common complaint I’ve heard over the years is we media mopes tend to focus on the athletes who have gone astray. What about all the good ones?
The thing is, part of being a “good one” is you don’t seek recognition for your goodness. You just try to live it.

Seth Olsen, a consensus first-team All-Big Ten offensive guard at Iowa last season, tries to live it.

Olsen’s desire to live for something greater than himself, along with the same feeling of a Cedar Rapids schoolteacher, produced something very nice at Monroe Early Childhood School in Cedar Rapids earlier this year.

The result is a school somewhere in Africa is going to have cleaner, safer water. “I’d read that Seth had a passion for helping get clean water to Africa,” said Monroe physical education teacher Lisa Pilch. “I have a passion for that myself.”

So Pilch called the Iowa football office and got connected with Olsen, asking him if he wanted to participate in a project she was doing with her 5- and 6-year-old students called “Coins for Clear Water.” The kids sought to get people to donate coins for the cause, which was to help build a fresh-water well at an African school via non-profit organization charity: water.

“Lisa asked me if I wanted to be part of it,” Olsen said, “and I was thrilled to help in any way.”

A wishing well was placed in Monroe’s office. The kids spent three weeks seeking peoples’ pocket change. The total raised topped $3,000.

“I was really, really touched,” Pilch said. “I thought we might get a few hundred dollars. Here we got three thousand dollars in coins. It was pretty awesome.”

Olsen, a mountain of a young man at 6-foot-5 and 305 pounds, cut quite the figure with a lot of little kids who may not have known a Hawkeye from a blue eye or a private eye.

“Ohhh, the kids were so excited to meet him,” said Pilch. “You couldn’t ask for a nicer guy. He was just great with the kids.”

Olsen hopes this was an initial step in one of his life goals, which is to help get clean water for Africans who desperately need it. “The last two or three years I’ve felt God has given me a heart for Africa,” Olsen said. “I’m not sure why.

“Clean water is kind of a scant commodity in Africa. It was something I was made aware of a couple years ago.

“My wife and I want to try to go to Africa after my first full NFL season, hopefully next February or March.”

What Olsen wants first, of course, is to join the many former Hawkeye offensive linemen who have preceded him into the NFL. He played in the East-West Shrine Game, went to the league’s scouting combine. He’s done all the interviews and tests, endured the pokes and probes, showed prowess in bench reps and vertical jumps.

Now it’s a matter of waiting until Sunday, probably, to see if and where he lands in the draft and where his new home will be. Then starts the business of trying to carve out a long pro career. For many football players, that’s the dream. For Olsen, it’s the means toward his dream.

“My dream job after the NFL is to work for a non-profit that does work bringing clean water to Africa,” he said. “If everything goes well in football, eventually I’d like to start my own non-profit.
“My wife, Christi, is a nurse (at the UI’s Children’s Hospital), so it’s easy for her to help. Me, I have to figure out how I can help.

“If I play for a few years at the NFL minimum, starting a non-profit is a more-realistic goal. Plus, playing in the league gives you a platform more than anything, for whatever message you’re promoting.”

Olsen is from Omaha. He didn’t grow up in poverty, under the threat of disease. But it’s elsewhere in the world, and it bothers him.

“The amount of water we use in this country is astronomical,” he said. “In Africa they have to walk miles to get water, and then it’s dirty anyways.”

There you have it, an abridged story of one of the “good ones.”

“Seth is going to do great things,” Pilch said, “whether he plays in the NFL or not.”

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 02:14 AM
What about kids in the USA that don't have food and shelter? Take care of our own then move onto Africa.

It's great though he isn't selfish, but seems like it's in style to look to Africa for everything from babies to charities. I would like to see more done for kids in the USA.

watermock
05-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the inequity of the world Seth.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 02:18 AM
What about kids in the USA that don't have food and shelter? Take care of our own then move onto Africa.

It's great though he isn't selfish, but seems like it's in style to look to Africa for everything from babies to charities. I would like to see more done for kids in the USA.
So you're saying...what? He doesn't have a right to decide what to do with his life and money he earns? Maybe be glad he's not doing drugs, carrying a weapon or beating up women OK?

BTW...I have the same focus on Africa and I'm a full year into developing business relationships to help over there. People in this country have absolutely no idea what true hardship, poverty and despair is.

Gimme a freaking break OK?

Carmelo15
05-14-2009, 02:51 AM

Says the redneck.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2009, 03:29 AM

i agree. i love that these athletes and some celebrities are donating to charities, but fix America 1st.

i mean there are kids all over the USA that are in orphanages, or are suffering on the streets, homeless people everywhere. it isn't right to want to fix another country when your home country is broken. it is almost the equivalent of a family with a member who needs a kidney transplant, and instead of giving your available kidney to your family member, you donate it, to some dude in another state.

take care of your own and once everything is in its place, then help everyone else.

same thing with all these douchebag celebrities adopting chinese kids. give a happy home to an american kid, who is unwanted. i am sure if you really want an asian kid, you can find an asian-AMERICAN kid in an orphanage somewhere in the country instead of importing some kid from another country.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
So you're saying...what? He doesn't have a right to decide what to do with his life and money he earns? Maybe be glad he's not doing drugs, carrying a weapon or beating up women OK?

BTW...I have the same focus on Africa and I'm a full year into developing business relationships to help over there. People in this country have absolutely no idea what true hardship, poverty and despair is.

Gimme a freaking break OK?

how are you going to give him ****, for saying people should help THEIR home country which is in bad shape, instead of trying to fix an even worse country?

millions of kids, and just people in general in the USA are homeless, starving, dying from common diseases, because they are unable to support themselves, and people who have the necessary means to possibly help these people, want to help ****ing Africa instead. there are thousands of orphans in america that need homes and families, but instead people are into this retarded trend of wanting chinese babies instead.

cutthemdown is right, people with the necessary means should help fix america's problems and only when those problems are fixed, should we decide to spend resources and time to fix another country.

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Says the redneck.

I'm not a redneck at all. What about me feeling that charity should start at home is redneckish (is that a word).

I believe in helping Americans first. I have given overseas, but only for huge things like the Tsunami. I have adopted a soldier, I give to city of hope. If that's being a redneck then I wish more people would be rednecks.

Just a guess you probably don't give to charity do you?

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 04:03 AM
Also I understand all about the problems in Africa. I supported Bush's giving money there to try and stamp out malaria and aids. I'm all for clean water in Africa I just don't understand why we don't make sure all American kids have food and clean water first.

cutthemdown
05-14-2009, 04:05 AM
i agree. i love that these athletes and some celebrities are donating to charities, but fix America 1st.

i mean there are kids all over the USA that are in orphanages, or are suffering on the streets, homeless people everywhere. it isn't right to want to fix another country when your home country is broken. it is almost the equivalent of a family with a member who needs a kidney transplant, and instead of giving your available kidney to your family member, you donate it, to some dude in another state.

take care of your own and once everything is in its place, then help everyone else.

same thing with all these douchebag celebrities adopting chinese kids. give a happy home to an american kid, who is unwanted. i am sure if you really want an asian kid, you can find an asian-AMERICAN kid in an orphanage somewhere in the country instead of importing some kid from another country.

I think we can do both at same time. Obviously the things we both brought up will never be solved 100%. I'm sure Seth will do plenty for kids in America as well. It's people that have something to say, a comment, but never do anything that I have a problem with.

Get out, help your community. Help out someone you don't know once in awhile.

I wasn't trying to be negative I think it's great Broncos have a player who isn't selfish and wants to try and help people.

Drek
05-14-2009, 05:30 AM

Probably because he's looking at the NFL minimum salary for at least several years and so what disposable income he'll have will go a lot further there than here?

Or maybe that its really so damn bad there that something like installing a clean water well has a whole lot larger impact.

Lot of reasons. Maybe he just feels personally attached. Not really anyone's right to judge charity acts of others.

TheReverend
05-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Iowa makes me very mad. I'll get over it though and am glad he's here.

watermock
05-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Iowa makes me very mad. I'll get over it though and am glad he's here.

Indeed, Iowa is the root of evil. isn't omaha part of Iowa?.

goldengopher1976
05-14-2009, 05:41 AM

I understand this sentiment but you are setting up a false dichotomy. There will never be a time when we will have "taken care of our own" to such a degree that we will be free to "move on" to other countries. Such things are not either/or, they are both/and. By helping with this cause, he has helped raise awareness among a number of young students, the people from whom the coins were received, and now a large group of people reading this article. It is now up to each of us to get involved doing something, whether that is here in the U.S. or abroad.

goldengopher1976
05-14-2009, 05:43 AM
I think we can do both at same time. Obviously the things we both brought up will never be solved 100%. I'm sure Seth will do plenty for kids in America as well. It's people that have something to say, a comment, but never do anything that I have a problem with.

Get out, help your community. Help out someone you don't know once in awhile.

I wasn't trying to be negative I think it's great Broncos have a player who isn't selfish and wants to try and help people.

Sorry, didn't read this before I posted, sounds like we're on the same page. :thumbsup:

Cool Breeze
05-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Good for him.
I like him already!

TheReverend
05-14-2009, 06:14 AM

Sorry, that's nebraska, bud.

mhgaffney
05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Cut,

You are not well informed.

Bush's first Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill toured Africa and on his return proposed a plan to make clean drinking water available to local villages in several Agrican nations.

It could have been done for pocket change -- a few million -- but O'Neill's boss, GW Bush -- wasn't interested. Bush dismissed the proposal out of hand -- and in the process showed what a selfish a-hole he is.

You can get the full sad story in Ron Suslind's book The Price of Loyalty.

Oh -- but I forget. You are one of the resident knee jerks -- who considers reading books to be unmanly.

dbfan21
05-14-2009, 06:48 AM
A lot of great points have been made already regarding this topic. There are a lot of needs in America. Anyone who has been on an inner-city mission trip can attest to that. When I got back from an inner-city mission trip last summer, I noticed my mother-in-law (who was gracious enough to watch my kids for the week) had gone out and stocked my kitchen with all sorts of food. The feelings of gratefulness and guilt were so overwhelming, I just broke down crying right there in my kitchen. Some Americans have it really bad...and it's not always their fault for being in that position...especially when it comes to the children that are homeless and hungry. Have you ever talked to a homeless American child? It's sobering, to say the least.

Then there are the problems in Africa. I have a friend who spent nearly a year in Uganda. She told me stories of unclean water, mosquito nets to protect from malaria and other diseases, AIDS and other unthinkable things, such as people who will throw their newborn babies in their version of a toilet (which is just a huge hole with a make-shift toilet seat over it). She helped feed them, educate them and even save babies from certain death after being left in a cess pool. It was very inspiring to hear about the differences Americans were making in the lives of the people in Africa.

Someone earlier said we can do both at the same time and I agree. But I think there needs to be greater exposure for both cases. There is not enough attention on the homelessness and the disadvantaged single mothers in America. Likewise, there is not enough attention on the violence and sub-human living conditions in Africa.

I applaud Olsen for his intentions and I sincerely hope his NFL career is solid, so he may pursue his dreams after football. And for the record, I also applaud guys like B-Marsh for working with Rev Kelly's kids and the other athletes/celebrities who leverage their status for the benefit of people right here in America.

cmhargrove
05-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Maybe he should be camp room mates with Spencer Larsen. Didn't Spencer spend a year or two doing mission work?

I like these guys on the team right now. I'm getting a little happier all the time watching my kids put on their Broncos jerseys.

Hopefully, the wins come and the character pays off.

You guys can ease up on what Seth Olsen is doing about water in Africa - what are you doing to help? The world has enough critics and not enough actual workers. If he gives his heart to a constructive cause, who are you to complain?

Peace out...

Rabb
05-14-2009, 07:35 AM
maybe we can just be happy we don't have a ****ing douchebag on the team

Mogulseeker
05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Maybe he should be camp room mates with Spencer Larsen. Didn't Spencer spend a year or two doing mission work?

I like these guys on the team right now. I'm getting a little happier all the time watching my kids put on their Broncos jerseys.

Hopefully, the wins come and the character pays off.

You guys can ease up on what Seth Olsen is doing about water in Africa - what are you doing to help? The world has enough critics and not enough actual workers. If he gives his heart to a constructive cause, who are you to complain?

Peace out...

Strong post.

What some people fail to see is that we are helping ouselves by helping, for example Africa. I mean, there are global initiatives intended to reduce poverty internationaly, why would we be left out of that? Especially when our trade depends on geopolitically sensitive issues.

Also, the problems in Africa are much more dire and simple. I read in The Economist the other day about a new straw, developed in the us, with a filtration mechanism. It costs about 80 cents to make, and could save millions in healthcare.

barryr
05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Heck, athletes, actors, actresses, Hollywood just themselves could feed all the starving kids in the world, but too many are selfish and will not give a helping hand. They instead bitch they ONLY got 15 million and not 20 million.

Instead organizations have to ask people that do not have the kind of money and resources the above mentioned do to try to help when many are barely able to support themselves, much less other people.

I cheer for Olsen. Sure, kids in the U.S. need help too, but at least he is someone in position to do something and is doing it. Why isn't most of Hollywood, where so much money is sitting collecting dust, doing more?

SoDak Bronco
05-14-2009, 07:59 AM

Council Tucky is..not Omaha..even though I know you already know this.

elpasojoe
05-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Applaud the young man for any work where he is helping the less fortunate. As far as fixing home first, what makes you think he won't be first one to volunteer once a local, Denver group ask for help. Something tells me he has the potential to become a great Bronco ambassador in the community.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
how are you going to give him ****, for saying people should help THEIR home country which is in bad shape, instead of trying to fix an even worse country?

millions of kids, and just people in general in the USA are homeless, starving, dying from common diseases, because they are unable to support themselves, and people who have the necessary means to possibly help these people, want to help ****ing Africa instead. there are thousands of orphans in america that need homes and families, but instead people are into this retarded trend of wanting chinese babies instead.

cutthemdown is right, people with the necessary means should help fix america's problems and only when those problems are fixed, should we decide to spend resources and time to fix another country.
Are you kidding me? Let me get this straight...in the selfish, arrogant, me first world of pro sports, where every day we are constantly innudated with stories about idiots like Michael Vick, Pacman Jones and Michael Irvine, not to mention the garden variety fools carrying guns, beating women, doing drugs or just plain holding out for more money so they can buy more stuff...guys who care only about #1...you're telling me this is what you got out of this story?

You're telling me that you have a right to define for another person where their personal mission in life should be...what they should use their personal income and influence for...you're telling me YOU have the right to tell THEM that what they feel God is laying on their heart is unnacceptable because it doesn't match what you think they should be doing?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. What gives you the right to tell anyone what to do with their life or their income when they're trying to help other people at a sacrifice to themselves?

If you think that poverty and despair in America is even remotely the same as what is taking place in places like Uganda and the Sudan...all over Africa in fact...you are living in an utter dreamworld of ignorance. A few months ago I posted in here about Darfur...400,000 dead, thousands of women raped and over 2 million homeless since 2003 in the worst human rights tragedy in the world where tent cities of civilian refugees the size of Denver exist in the desert that are being attacked daily. Uganda's civil war...where children are kidnapped and sold into slavry to war lords who use them as child soldiers....human trafficing in slavery and sexual bondage that sends hundreds of thousands of young woman and girls as young a 6 years old into a lifetime of torment...AIDS is the killing up to 1/3 of the people in Lesotho and nearly 30 million on the continent...the list goes on and on.

Wake up and open your eyes. Even the poorest people in America have infinitely better off. We have resources here even for the poor that people over there can't even dream of. Who are you to tell someone else what they should be doing or not doing with THEIR OWN MONEY? He's not talking about spending YOUR money...tax money...he's talking about using his own life and resources to help people. If you have a problem with that...there's something more insidious at work here than stupidity on your part.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not a redneck at all. What about me feeling that charity should start at home is redneckish (is that a word).

I believe in helping Americans first. I have given overseas, but only for huge things like the Tsunami. I have adopted a soldier, I give to city of hope. If that's being a redneck then I wish more people would be rednecks.

Are you speaking to me? If so...you're dead wrong.

Not only do I give to charity, my entire career is about this. I design strategic interventions for social mission causes all over the world, both here and overseas. I build revenue streams for non profits and NGO's, social entrepreneurs and social enterprise businesses. I have over 40 NPO clients that I create business networks for enabling them to fund their operations and nearly that many more for profit companies acting in partnership with these organizations or producing their own tangible benefit in society through everything from helping battered women to feeding kids in rural povery.

Back to the original question...who are you to tell someone else what they can use their own money for?

**Edit-- just realized you're talking to Carmello15...fine. None the less...your attitude sucks.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Also I understand all about the problems in Africa.

I supported Bush's giving money there to try and stamp out malaria and aids. I'm all for clean water in Africa I just don't understand why we don't make sure all American kids have food and clean water first.
Who is "we"? This guy's not taking money out of your pocket if that's what you're worried about.

Did Bush give his own money? I must have missed it. LOL

Your absurd assumption that we can "make sure all American kids..."...is ludicrous. You're suggesting we wipe out all poverty in America before we can help anyone else? How would you propose we do that? Create a utopian society the likes of which mankind has never seen on earth first?

Meanwhile let's give **** to a guy willing to spend his own money to help others because you don't like who he's helping.

Nice.

Pony Boy
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Close enough, all mouth breathers.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
OK my rant on this is over...I prefer not to get dragged into an endless loop about it or I'll get nothing done today. It just pisses me off when I hear comments like some posted here already.

The story is cool because this is a guy who is truly different. Lots of pro athletes work with charities...some start their own. Most often these are things set up by their attornies who set up non profit organizations that offer them free PR opportunities and it takes nothing out of their pockets and little real sacrifice. This story is different because the guy's whole goal for playing in the league is based on using his ability to make a lot of money to help people less fortunate.

We could use a few more stories like this one and a few less like the ones we usualy hear about.

gyldenlove
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I am not one to scold people for doing charity work, fact is this world could use a lot more charity than what is currently being given.

If you want to see poverty go to Michigan, I know it is a cliche, but there are places in Michigan I wouldn't live if you paid me. I swear I have seen places there that I would not prefer to places like Khabul. There is so much work to be done in that state, poverty, crime, illiteracy, health, it is not at Burmese or Congolean levels, but it compared to other Western areas it is extremely sub-par.

Pony Boy
05-14-2009, 11:06 AM
This story is different because the guy's whole goal for playing in the league is based on using his ability to make a lot of money to help people less fortunate.

We could use a few more stories like this one and a few less like the ones we usualy hear about.

And then we have Chris Baker when asked in an interview:

Draft Zoo Question: What’s the first thing you’ll do after signing an NFL contract?

Chris Baker: I’m going to give thanks to God first. Then, I will buy my dream car — an Escalade — and, of course, take care of my parents

The kid thinks like NFL player already ! I'm sure he will buy some heat also.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 11:20 AM
More on this kid...I'll give McD some props for taking a high character guy here. Much as I've bashed him...if he reverses the Shanny trend of thugs and idiots we've seen parade through here he will go a long way towards making me at least try to put the Cutler thing in the rear view mirror.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2009/02/19/Sports/10141.html

For football’s Seth Olsen, the game is all about Faith

BY AMIE KIEHN | FEBRUARY 19, 2009 7:51 AM
Grace Community Church in North Liberty is not ostentatious. The dull, pale blue walls are empty of any iconic wooden crosses, paintings of the Last Supper or stained-glass windows — the one the church does have is hidden behind a large black curtain.

“Christian symbols aren’t the most important thing to be seen,” said Jean Keeley, Grace Community’s office secretary and the appointed “glue” of the church. “Christ is the most important thing to be seen.”
It comes as no surprise then that this is Seth Olsen’s place of worship.
The former Hawkeye offensive lineman has never been showy. As he prepares to take part in the NFL scouting combine on Saturday, his faith has kept him humble.

For the 6-5 Olsen, he plays for an “audience of one.”

“For some reason, I am more in the zone in my walk with Christ Saturdays,” he said. “I read scripture before the game, just like a verse that I can write on my hand, and write on the tape on my wrists, as a focal point to remind me of who I am playing for and why I am playing this game.

“I always write ‘A.O.1.’ — Audience of One — on my wrist, because that is whom I am playing for. It really helps you free up, not worry about playing for 70,000 people in the stadium, or the 100,000 people watching at home.” Coaches and peers recognize the humility and work ethic prevalent in the Omaha native.

“He’s got a strong drive, great character qualities,” said Jim Goodrich, the director of Athletes in Action, a ministry that works with athletes on campus.

Goodrich compares Olsen with another former Hawkeye, Aaron Kampman, saying the Green Bay Packers coaches love Kampman’s immense focus and believes Olsen puts forth similar effort.

“[Olsen] has a great work ethic,” Goodrich said. “I think a lot of it, I would attribute to faith. He is going to be reliable and persistent, which allows him to play at a higher level.

“That is his motivation, to please God, and that is the highest motivation you can have.”

Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle has worked with Olsen and the other Hawkeyes — Shonn Greene, Mitch King, Bradley Fletcher, and Rob Bruggeman — who will journey to Indianapolis for the combine.
“I compare [the combine] to preparing for a take home test,” Doyle said. “You know the questions, it’s just a matter of developing a specific plan to answer the questions. The combine in Indianapolis has been going on for many years. Typically, they bring in the top 300 seniors and put them through a battery of standardized tests. So going into it, we know what the tests are going to be. It is just a matter of fine-tuning their skills in those tests.”

Doyle, who has worked with Olsen for the last five years, knows Olsen’s strengths and weaknesses, and he has seen firsthand how Olsen’s faith has helped to maximize his potential.

“When you get to know the athletes, invest in the athletes, spend a lot of time with them over the course of the year, you get to know their mental makeup and what motivates them,” Doyle said. “Seth has always been clear and up front from the get-go that faith was important to him.

“Everybody pulls from different areas to improve their daily performance, and I think faith has been a vehicle for Seth that has allowed him to operate at a high level for some time.”

While Olsen has been hustling to get his body in peak performance for the combine, the Iowa graduate with a degree in political science has had one thing on his mind — Africa.

“My dream would be to someday work for a Christian missionary organization, or nonprofit, that specifically does work in Africa,” Olsen said.
He has earnestly been working with Monroe Elementary School in Cedar Rapids to help raise funds for charitable endeavors in Africa.

“We are trying to raise money for a well and bathroom facilities in Africa and that is through [the organization] Charity: Water,” Olsen said. “[Monroe Elementary] is an early childhood school, and the kids aren’t going to have much to bring in, so the [fundraiser] will build a little efficacy and make them feel involved in the whole project.” The “Coins for Clean Water” initiative has raised more than $3,000 since being implemented Jan. 21 and will continue until March 14.

“I am really impressed with his attitude toward African development,” wife Christi Olsen said. “It’s really kind of come to a head, and it’s interesting what direction he wants to take after football.”

Those who know Olsen realize the 23-year-old is mature beyond his years.
“He’s a guy that already began to take the next steps in his life; he’s a married guy, very stable,” Doyle said. “When you look at an athlete’s ability to maximize his potential, Seth has the qualities that you’re looking for.”

broncosteven
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Sometimes I think Cutthemdown is pretty cool, especially when he talks about playing music.

Then he has to insist on posting the most ignorant **** he can and spread spite. It is times like those where I would like to neg rep him to hell. I only used my Neg rep powers once that I remember.

I have read allot of stuff about the history of NASA. In the 60's when they were ramping up Gemini and setting the budget for Apollo many activists in the USA and around the world condemned the amount of money spent in the quest for the moon. The biggest argument was that if that money was spent here at home we could wipe out poverty, hunger, even crime!

This was the same era as Namm and during the peak of the cold war.

Johnson plugged away and didn't back down, Nixon followed the vision through with just enough missions to complete most of the science goals before cancelling the last 3 missions.

The fact was that Mercury/Gemini/Apollo and even the space shuttle (which I despise as our only human space transportation platform) fed our local and world economy's.

Young kids were needed for engineers, many went onto advanced schooling to gain knowledge which advanced the project and made our country stronger. Many were given scholarships created by the government that would not have been available otherwise.

Cities boomed over night; the suburbs of Houston, Huntsville, Alabama (Saturn development where Von Braun's team was located), the swaps around Coco Beach Fl, Hampton VA, Many Cali towns, White Sands NM, New Orleans (the Saturn boosters were made there).
Around the world places like Parks, New South Wales Australia, a couple places in the brush in Africa. Not to mention all the money the USSR spent and the people they kept fed and employed trying to keep up with us.

Fact was no one lobbied for or bothered with finding funding to make the modern Utopia. FDR was forced into public works to create jobs and dig out of the depression, if WWII doesn't come we probably never get out of it and are stuck digging our own wells.

My point is this, the kid wants to make an impact on people that do not have it as good as we do here. Since Apollo we have not carved out Billions of dollars to create a Utopia and end our issues at home. We are facing the worst economic crisis in 80 years and families here can barely get by on $50k (more or less) and we are panicking. I do not know what the avg yearly income is in Africa is but I am guessing the poverty line is way below ours here.

I would hate for me or any one of my family to end up on the streets but at least they can find public resources such as water fountains and toilets.

Parts of Africa have major problems with Civil war, ethnic cleansing, poverty unimaginable here. I do not see these issues being resolved in the next 100 or more years but you have to start somewhere.

If he wants to spend a couple thousand digging wells in a foreign land showing those that live there that they are not forgotten, promoting the good things that we in the USA can do, that we are not evil infidels. More power to him.

gyldenlove
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
The really big problem with Africa is that they went through history in a twisted way.

They have the weapons of today, but the technology, infrastructure, education and societies of 300 years ago.

The rest of the world developed ways of farming, processing food, making tools, clothes and junk that matched the need of the day. In Africa they still use ox pulled plows in many places, but their needs are so much more than what they can provide because they never developed the technology they need for themselves.

A major issue is that even companies that have plants in Africa have to bring in people to do the tech stuff because there are so few places in Africa people can learn how to do things that are necesary.

broncosteven
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I am not one to scold people for doing charity work, fact is this world could use a lot more charity than what is currently being given.

If you want to see poverty go to Michigan, I know it is a cliche, but there are places in Michigan I wouldn't live if you paid me. I swear I have seen places there that I would not prefer to places like Khabul. There is so much work to be done in that state, poverty, crime, illiteracy, health, it is not at Burmese or Congolean levels, but it compared to other Western areas it is extremely sub-par.

Drive down Roosevelt rd through North Lawndale in Chicago sometime.

Actually if you start at the lake on Roosevelt rd and head west out past Wheaton you will see the complete story of living in the USA.

Archer81
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
American poverty and the rest of the world's poverty are completely different things.

:Broncos:

Carmelo15
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM

I just think thats lame to criticize someone's charitable acts. Obviously this man's interest is in helping bring clean water to Africa, a very specific cause. He's not just donating money to some charity. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if someone criticized you for adopting a soldier cuz they're against the war. Its the same thing dude. I would never criticize or do less than applaude you for that.

The redneck comment was just a joke man so don't take that personal. Only reason I said it was because you're comment to the article made you sound close-minded and conservative.

As for as me giving to any charities? Hell no I don't but that doesn't make me any less sympathetic of a human being. The only reason I don't is insufficient funds. I'm a broke ass college student. I also haven't been to a Broncos game since they've been playing games at Invesco but that doesn't make me any less of a Brioncos fan.

Mogulseeker
05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I just think thats lame to criticize someone's charitable acts. Obviously this man's interest is in helping bring clean water to Africa, a very specific cause. He's not just donating money to some charity. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if someone criticized you for adopting a soldier cuz they're against the war. Its the same thing dude. I would never criticize or do less than applaude you for that.

The redneck comment was just a joke man so don't take that personal. Only reason I said it was because you're comment to the article made you sound close-minded and conservative.

As for as me giving to any charities? Hell no I don't but that doesn't make me any less sympathetic of a human being. The only reason I don't is insufficient funds. I'm a broke ass college student. I also haven't been to a Broncos game since they've been playing games at Invesco but that doesn't make me any less of a Brioncos fan.

Brioncos sounds like a latin porn star name

Carmelo15
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Brioncos sounds like a latin porn star name

LOL oops

Hulamau
05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey I like this guy! How come this hasn't been reported anywhere yet by the Denver media? This dude's got a different agenda that deserves mention. Check it out:

And Footsteps, perhaps you'll like a lot more of our draft as well when you find out more about each of these guys. McD checked them out pretty thoroughly and the whole bunch are quality guys. The only ones with a few questions ( that anyone can know about at this point) are a couple of the UDFAs, but at that price they are more than worth taking a chance on. And I see a good 5 or 6 of these free agents who have a decent shot of making the team.

The draft picks aren't all just good guys either, everyone of them can play! I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 of 9 out of these 10 actually make it on the team as well. Even if one or two wind up on the practice squad.

Keep looking footsteps and you might start warming yet to the approach McD is taking to build a stronger foundation here for a solid team. This really wasn't a deep draft for dlineman, we got one of if not THE best one out there in Ayers, and a slew of UDFAs among whom a couple may work out well so we';re going to be alright.

No way were going to fix the total defense in one year anyway, but we've made a Damn good start.

We got rid of all the dead wood that could NOT tackle already, kept the promising newer guys as well as kept or brought in the sure thing players as well.

Next year between FA and the 2010 draft we should be able to fill any remaining significant holes on D as they become apparent throughout this season, and really be ready to rumble on both sides of the ball in 2010.

This year be happy with a stud offense and a much improved, if still middle of the road, defense and big upgrade on ST. We got a bucket load of solid ST players now as well.

Darrell Reid, Mario Haggan, Burton, Larson, Woodyard, Paxton, Nick Griesen, Josh Barrett, JackMFW and a few more who will make our ST instantly better!

Check out this clip of Reid in action! This is the very definition of lowering the BOOM!

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJmsCsb9hUA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJmsCsb9hUA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sisterhellfyre
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Ya know, some folks would still find something to b***h about if you hanged them with new ropes.

Borks147
05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6483/perspective20man.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=perspective20man.jpg)

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 02:18 PM
The really big problem with Africa is that they went through history in a twisted way.

They have the weapons of today, but the technology, infrastructure, education and societies of 300 years ago.

The rest of the world developed ways of farming, processing food, making tools, clothes and junk that matched the need of the day. In Africa they still use ox pulled plows in many places, but their needs are so much more than what they can provide because they never developed the technology they need for themselves.

A major issue is that even companies that have plants in Africa have to bring in people to do the tech stuff because there are so few places in Africa people can learn how to do things that are necesary.
The damage done to Africa through the slave trade and colonialism is the primary reason this region is in such dire straights. That colonialism continues today in the form of corporate plunder. It exists through foreign governments doing business in Africa with the tacit approval of corrupt governments to create a tilted playing field that sucks out resources and utilizes cheap labor but returns little back to the indigenous economies. Currently the US and European firms are the biggest offenders but China is quickly getting in on this as well.

World aid to African nations is also a problem not a solution, but without it millions more would starve to death, so this is a vicious circle. Western aid has topped $2.3 trillion in the last 50 years and this is a major part of the problem because it's hindering the development of sustainable economies. The G-8 nations especially, are propping up African nations with corrupt governments and dictators who rely on that aid but are able to utilize it to avoid having to be responsible to their people for creating economic systems that can provide for their needs. Check out Ugandan journalist Andrew Mwenda and what he has to say on this. He was jailed for his views in Uganda. Ten months ago I spoke to the ambassador of Uganda while he was here in Dallas on a speaking engagement and he now agrees with Mwenda...his entire speech reflected it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfobLjsj230&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfobLjsj230&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What Africa needs is trade...not aid...the argument Mwenda makes. Social entrepreneurs assisting African businesses grow to maturity and developing avenues to business networks and markets is the key to these countries creating their own wealth. People like Seth Olsen are a bridge towards that happening...small, individual efforts built through innovating ideas and resources rather than accessing the World Bank or the IMF.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Are you kidding me? Let me get this straight...in the selfish, arrogant, me first world of pro sports, where every day we are constantly innudated with stories about idiots like Michael Vick, Pacman Jones and Michael Irvine, not to mention the garden variety fools carrying guns, beating women, doing drugs or just plain holding out for more money so they can buy more stuff...guys who care only about #1...you're telling me this is what you got out of this story?

You're telling me that you have a right to define for another person where their personal mission in life should be...what they should use their personal income and influence for...you're telling me YOU have the right to tell THEM that what they feel God is laying on their heart is unnacceptable because it doesn't match what you think they should be doing?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. What gives you the right to tell anyone what to do with their life or their income when they're trying to help other people at a sacrifice to themselves?

If you think that poverty and despair in America is even remotely the same as what is taking place in places like Uganda and the Sudan...all over Africa in fact...you are living in an utter dreamworld of ignorance. A few months ago I posted in here about Darfur...400,000 dead, thousands of women raped and over 2 million homeless since 2003 in the worst human rights tragedy in the world where tent cities of civilian refugees the size of Denver exist in the desert that are being attacked daily. Uganda's civil war...where children are kidnapped and sold into slavry to war lords who use them as child soldiers....human trafficing in slavery and sexual bondage that sends hundreds of thousands of young woman and girls as young a 6 years old into a lifetime of torment...AIDS is the killing up to 1/3 of the people in Lesotho and nearly 30 million on the continent...the list goes on and on.

Wake up and open your eyes. Even the poorest people in America have infinitely better off. We have resources here even for the poor that people over there can't even dream of. Who are you to tell someone else what they should be doing or not doing with THEIR OWN MONEY? He's not talking about spending YOUR money...tax money...he's talking about using his own life and resources to help people. If you have a problem with that...there's something more insidious at work here than stupidity on your part.

i am going to say this, and i don't care what you or anyone else thinks. **** the rest of the world. i am american, and i don;t give a rats ass about people in Africa, or china, or anywhere else in the world. i care about the people in this country who are homeless, the kids who are unloved or have no families. when america's problems are gone, then i will care about the rest of the world.

and if you actually read what i posted, you would see that i am not telling the guy or anyone that donates not to donate to other places, i am saying in my opinion, help out your own country before someone else.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Who is "we"? This guy's not taking money out of your pocket if that's what you're worried about.

Did Bush give his own money? I must have missed it. LOL

Your absurd assumption that we can "make sure all American kids..."...is ludicrous. You're suggesting we wipe out all poverty in America before we can help anyone else? How would you propose we do that? Create a utopian society the likes of which mankind has never seen on earth first?

Meanwhile let's give **** to a guy willing to spend his own money to help others because you don't like who he's helping.

Nice.

he is saying WE in the universal sense, meaning WE as americans, and if you weren't being a dick trying to make yourself right in a dispute that really has no right or wrong.

and no one is giving Olsen **** for wanting to help others. some of us, just feel that his charity would be better used helping out the american poor.

footstepsfrom#27
05-14-2009, 11:09 PM
i am going to say this, and i don't care what you or anyone else thinks. **** the rest of the world. i am american, and i don;t give a rats ass about people in Africa, or china, or anywhere else in the world.
Glad to know what you are.

BroncoMan4ever
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Glad to know what you are.

yeah, i am a man who cares about the people of my country more than i do about anyone else, from any other country.

wow that makes me terrible.

if that makes me an a-hole, that i care about americans, more than people in Africa, so be it. i really don't care what you or anyone else thinks about that.

cutthemdown
05-15-2009, 01:09 AM
i am going to say this, and i don't care what you or anyone else thinks. **** the rest of the world. i am american, and i don;t give a rats ass about people in Africa, or china, or anywhere else in the world. i care about the people in this country who are homeless, the kids who are unloved or have no families. when america's problems are gone, then i will care about the rest of the world.

and if you actually read what i posted, you would see that i am not telling the guy or anyone that donates not to donate to other places, i am saying in my opinion, help out your own country before someone else.

See this is where you lose me. I care about people all over the world and would like to see kids in Africa have clean water. So if you say you don't give a rats ass IMO it's out of frustration. Don't get frustrated making your point and let yourself say you don't give a rats ass about anyone but Americans. That's not what America is all about and I don't believe you really feel that way.

I do same thing sometimes, get crazy and say things that really don't represent how you really feel.

My problem is people who seem to care more about the world then they do about America. I'm not saying Seth feels that way. I would bet that if he is this interested in charity he will also do plenty for American kids.

I agree with the original posts point that this kid seems to be really mature, really generous, and if he can play football well would seem to be the type of player we need.

My original point was more in response to people I see being generous with everyone but there countrymen. The same people who say Africa should have clean water, will walk right by a homeless person and think get a job.

Certainly this player seems like the kind of guy who isn't doing it because he thinks it's stylish.

BroncoMan4ever
05-15-2009, 02:33 AM
See this is where you lose me. I care about people all over the world and would like to see kids in Africa have clean water. So if you say you don't give a rats ass IMO it's out of frustration. Don't get frustrated making your point and let yourself say you don't give a rats ass about anyone but Americans. That's not what America is all about and I don't believe you really feel that way.

I do same thing sometimes, get crazy and say things that really don't represent how you really feel.

My problem is people who seem to care more about the world then they do about America. I'm not saying Seth feels that way. I would bet that if he is this interested in charity he will also do plenty for American kids.

I agree with the original posts point that this kid seems to be really mature, really generous, and if he can play football well would seem to be the type of player we need.

My original point was more in response to people I see being generous with everyone but there countrymen. The same people who say Africa should have clean water, will walk right by a homeless person and think get a job.

Certainly this player seems like the kind of guy who isn't doing it because he thinks it's stylish.

see you understand what i was meaning. i don't actually not care about anyone but americans. however in the big picture, if i have millions to donate, i would take care of my country before i even thought about another.

my saying i don't care about anyone else isn't meant as a bad thing, it was meant as i care about america more than i ever will about any other country, and only care about america's well being, when it is between america and any other country in the world.