PDA

View Full Version : The new 1000 YARDS CLUB

ZONA
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
The Broncos have been one of the best rushing teams in the league over the past 14 years (The Shanahan Era) and we've seen almost any and every back that came here easily compile 1000+ yard rushing seasons. We even had 2 backs in the same year rush for over 1000 yards. We also lay claim to one man who is on the elite list of having rushed for over 2000 yards . Yes, our beloved TD was the man. It became a foregone conclusion at the beginning of every new season that the Vegas odds against a Bronco runner rushing for over 1000 yards was not going to make you very much money.

But, with this new pass friendly wide open system that McD is implementing, having a Bronco RB gain over 1000 yards isn't likely to happen................or is it?

The Vegas odds against a Bronco RB gaining a 1000 yards just might go back to where it was in the past............only this time with a new wrinkle.

The NEW trend in Denver could be that a Broncos RB should be expected to have over 1000 yards through the air. No easy task by any means, but I think given the talent of the young talented offensive line we have, in addition to a tremendous all around talent that is in the form of one named Knowshown Moreno, and of course, the short passing attack that likes to feature dump off passes to RB's as well as screen passes, it could very well be the NEW standard by which Bronco RB's are held to. I for one, will not be shocked if Moreno accomplishes that feat.

azbroncfan
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Denver's rushing attack hasn't been very good last two years. Last year was pretty bad and the year before was average. Their backs were close in 2005 for 2 1000 yd rushers but fell a little short as Bell had 950 or so. I think the Giants last year were the first team to do it since the Martyball Browns. I think you are getting stuck on the NE passing attack from the 16-0 regular season team as NE was pretty balanced last year and ran the ball a lot. I expect Moreno to get 1000 if he stays healthy as McD has shown the ability to call the plays to his players and Quinn wasn't drafted for a heavy passing attack.

2KBack
05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I really think people are going to be surprised when McD comes out with a very potent rushing attack this season. I've been meaning to write out an analysis about it, but I am under the impression those worried about losing the run game will be most pleased next season.

NE was just as bad off at RB as Denver last season, and McD still ran the ball 513 times.

As a comparison, Denver ran the ball 525 times in 1998, which inculde a lot of running out the clock.

Knowing that the defense is far from elite, and with all the new toys at RB, I think Denver is going to be a rushing monster.

Popps
05-13-2009, 03:47 PM
There's really no reason to believe our running game won't have some success. Plenty of quality backs, a great line and a great offensive coach.

Should be fun to watch this offense come together.

ZONA
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I really think people are going to be surprised when McD comes out with a very potent rushing attack this season. I've been meaning to write out an analysis about it, but I am under the impression those worried about losing the run game will be most pleased next season.

NE was just as bad off at RB as Denver last season, and McD still ran the ball 513 times.

As a comparison, Denver ran the ball 525 times in 1998, which inculde a lot of running out the clock.

Knowing that the defense is far from elite, and with all the new toys at RB, I think Denver is going to be a rushing monster.

I hope that I am pleasantly surprised and we do rush it alot. I just think with the worst defense in the league (okay, maybe they improve somewhat, but given this will be a transition year for them, having new coaches, new players and a totally new scheme, I just don't see that we will be a good defense) and with the quality of teams we are playing, we will not have alot of leads. I think we will try to stick with the run but I really believe we will have to go to the air often to pick up chunks. We can't be a grind it out, take up alot of clock, score a few times kind of offense with the defense we have. We will have to move the ball up and down the field just as much last year but we will also have to score alot to win games. I think Nolan and crew will eventually turn things around for our D but not in one offseason.

broncosteven
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM

I hope your right.

Last year NE lost their starting QB and had the replacement sacked alot, they needed to take the pressure off Cassel. They didn't have an RB break 1000 yards.

I think 2007 will be more indicitive of what we run.

Either way I hope Knowson is better than Laurence and we pound the ball early and often.

broncosteven
05-13-2009, 04:02 PM
There's really no reason to believe our running game won't have some success. Plenty of quality backs, a great line and a great offensive coach.

Should be fun to watch this offense come together.

The offense was together, I would like to see the D get it together.

2KBack
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I hope that I am pleasantly surprised and we do rush it alot. I just think with the worst defense in the league (okay, maybe the improve somewhat, but given this will be a transition year for them, having new coaches, new players and a totally new scheme, I just don't see that we will be a good defense) and with the quality of teams we are playing, that we will have alot of leads. I think we will try to stick with the run but I really believe we will have to go to the air often to pick up chunks. We can't be a grind it out, take up alot of clock, score a few times kind of offense with the defense we have. We will have to move the ball up and down the field just as much last year but we will also have to score alot to win games. I think Nolan and crew will eventually turn things around for our D but not in one offseason.

I've always personally thought that the best way to combat a suspect defense is to keep the other teams offense off the field. For comebacks I understand the need to air it out, but if the game is within a score keep it on the ground. If you end up trading scores, at least the defenses should be worn down in the 4th.

My hope for the defense is simply getting more turnovers. As bad as the yard totals were last season, it was the turnovers that were the difference. If the new scheme generates turnovers even at an average pace the team will be drastically improved. On the other side of the ball, you are less likely to turn the ball over if you keep it on the ground.

Pat Bowlen
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
The NEW trend in Denver could be that a Broncos RB should be expected to have over 1000 yards through the air.
I appreciate your optimism, but unless you are being sarcastic your head is in the clouds.

broncosteven
05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I've always personally thought that the best way to combat a suspect defense is to keep the other teams offense off the field. For comebacks I understand the need to air it out, but if the game is within a score keep it on the ground. If you end up trading scores, at least the defenses should be worn down in the 4th.

My hope for the defense is simply getting more turnovers. As bad as the yard totals were last season, it was the turnovers that were the difference. If the new scheme generates turnovers even at an average pace the team will be drastically improved. On the other side of the ball, you are less likely to turn the ball over if you keep it on the ground.

Anyone remember the year we played Tampa Bay and TD iced the game. What was that 1997? They had a great D and scored just enough in games to win.

If Hillis didn't get hurt in the KFC game we win the Buffalo game, hell if Boyd doesn't get hurt in the Buff game we win it. Pounding games especially late in the year and controlling tempo is the way to win games.

Moreno Knows Best
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I think a backfield of Moreno/Hillis could be great. Two legitimate options to hand the rock too. Plus play-action potential, etc.

azbroncfan
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone remember the year we played Tampa Bay and TD iced the game. What was that 1997? They had a great D and scored just enough in games to win.

If Hillis didn't get hurt in the KFC game we win the Buffalo game, hell if Boyd doesn't get hurt in the Buff game we win it. Pounding games especially late in the year and controlling tempo is the way to win games.

Or if Cutler came through in the clutch to win the game in his last two chances Denver wins against Buffalo and goes to the playoffs instead of throwing a key INT late in the 4th.

loborugger
05-13-2009, 06:12 PM

This would thrill me to no end. I would love to watch Denver run the ball down people's throats. It would make a subpar team more fun to watch.

And Popps - plenty of RBs, no doubt. But quality. Time will tell there, my friend. We have a first rounder... maybe. We have a Torian... maybe, provided he can stay healthy... and its down hill from there.

azbroncfan
05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
But, with this new pass friendly wide open system that McD is implementing, having a Bronco RB gain over 1000 yards isn't likely to happen................or is it?

You realize that NE was 4th in running attempts last year and 6th in rushing yards right? For a pass happy team only 3 teams ran the ball more than them. In 2007 they ran the ball the 9th most attempts. I am not sure why everyone thinks McD is a pass happy nut that refuses to run the ball. That isn't counting all the checkdowns and wr screens that are extentions of the running game too.

UberBroncoMan
05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Denver's rushing attack hasn't been very good last two years. Last year was pretty bad and the year before was average. Their backs were close in 2005 for 2 1000 yd rushers but fell a little short as Bell had 950 or so. I think the Giants last year were the first team to do it since the Martyball Browns. I think you are getting stuck on the NE passing attack from the 16-0 regular season team as NE was pretty balanced last year and ran the ball a lot. I expect Moreno to get 1000 if he stays healthy as McD has shown the ability to call the plays to his players and Quinn wasn't drafted for a heavy passing attack.

I believe last year we were #1 in the ENTIRE NFL in yards per rush. We just didn't rush a lot.

ZONA
05-13-2009, 08:52 PM
You realize that NE was 4th in running attempts last year and 6th in rushing yards right? For a pass happy team only 3 teams ran the ball more than them. In 2007 they ran the ball the 9th most attempts. I am not sure why everyone thinks McD is a pass happy nut that refuses to run the ball. That isn't counting all the checkdowns and wr screens that are extentions of the running game too.

I do understand that NE ran it alot. Just above I stated that. But that could be due to the fact they probably had the most, or close to the most, offensive possessions in the NFL. I don't know that for sure but I would bet they were near the top. Their defense got off the field. Clearly any team that has alot more offensive possessions then others will have more attempts rushing and passing.

In regards to what you were saying about the screens and checkdowns, I mentioned that also. I think McD will sorta use that as a way for our RB's to get yards in addition to running. Sorta like the opposite effect of play action. You want teams to think your are throwing outs and what not the WR's and all along it was called as a quick pass play to the RB to get him in the open field and past the Dline.

I do think the Broncos Oline will improve their run blocking but they are just flat out studs in pass blocking. I can see this team being one of the best screen passing teams in the NFL. Shanny never used to like those plays much and I hated that. It seemed like more times then not, when you saw other teams call that play, good yards were usually there to be had. And now with 2 blocking TE's, you have the versatility to call the screen to either side without tipping your hand.

Regardless though, however we end up doing it, running mostly or passing mostly, I think our 2 best backs in Moreno and Hillis are just as effective both ways (rushing and passing) so I think good things are in store for our offense. Let's face it, with the schedule we have, and our unstable and thus far unproven new defense, the offense is gonna have to carry alot of weight on their shoulders. Let's see how they handle that pressure. Last years team knew that also and while they could move the ball great, I think that pressure got to them a little bit, which forced them to middle of the pack in terms of scoring.

azbroncfan
05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I believe last year we were #1 in the ENTIRE NFL in yards per rush. We just didn't rush a lot.

Denver's rush offense wasn't good last year other than a couple games by Hillis. Proof is rushing TD's. They ran OK between 20's and sucked inside 20's. Look where Denver's rushing O has been since 2005 and they are near tops in rushes and yds but the one difference is if you compare the leaders TD's Denver barely can get more than 10 TD's a year.

Popps
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
The offense was together, I would like to see the D get it together.

16th in the league in scoring... but that really wasn't what I meant. I just meant that we're running a different system and it would be fun to watch the pieces come together.

Sorry the post wasn't negative enough. I'll work on it.

cmhargrove
05-14-2009, 06:10 AM
I don't really care about rushing yards anymore. Just like I don't care about total offense.

1) Give me Brian Westbrook numbers anyday. If a guy like Knowshon can run for 800, catch for 700, and score 10-15 TD's we can win a lot of games. A lot of games.
2) And - give me rushing touchdowns. Give me an offensive unit that can consistently punch it in when they are within the five yard line. I don't care who gets the stats, we need to score. Keep the 1,000 yard thing for the end of the season awards banquet - its just not too important.

alkemical
05-14-2009, 06:13 AM
I think McD is going to run a power run version of the pats O.