PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z charity dinner - Tom Coughlin, Rex Ryan, Adam Schefter

Chris
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I know some of us poked fun at his column in the past but it's a sad story, thought I'd share for anyone who's interested in going

[Hello again! As you are probably aware, Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman had a series of strokes late last year that have left him unable to read or write and his speech is largely incoherent. Peter King of Sports Illustrated is spearheading a charity auction to raise funds to pay for high-end physical therapy that insurance doesn't cover in an effort to get Dr. Z back to writing his legendary columns. The auction will be held on May 18, 2009 at 7 pm at Mayfair Farms in West Orange, NJ.
The event will feature Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets coach Rex Ryan. There will be an open bar beginning at 6:15, followed by dinner at 7, and a round-table with King, Coughlin and Ryan reviewing the draft and previewing the season at 8, followed by questions for the coaches from the audience. Then, at about 8:50, there will be a football insiders' roundtable with Adam Schefter, Sal Paolantonio, Aaron Schatz and yours truly -- with perhaps a surprise guest or two beyond that -- from 9 to 9:30, and then we'll announce the winners of the auction items and be on our way. If you would like to join us at the functions, tickets are $225 or a table of 8 for $1500 and are tax deductible.

The is also a website for the auction - http://www.cmarket.com/auction/AuctionHome.action?auctionId=86089900. Ticket purchasing information can be found at the site along with many once in a lifetime auction items (the site is worth a visit just to view the donations made by NFL teams). I have contributed multiple copies of the Scientific Football library and a bottle of Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (1986 vintage) that Dr. Z once listed as one of his all-time favorite wines.

I know times are tough in many industries (freelance writing not excluded from that list), but any contributions could help the man King rightfully called "the best football writer of our time" get back to covering football in his inimitable way and would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

KC Joyner

OBF1
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I am sure he "stroked out" reading one of his own columns

Pseudofool
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I am sure he "stroked out" reading one of his own columnsThat's just wrong, considering dude can't speak yet.

Anaximines
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
wow, didn't know about this. I enjoyed his columns

OABB
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
maybe he can be an analyst at espn now.

Rock Chalk
05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I hated Zipperhead, but I certainly dont wish any ill on the dude and hope he makes a full recovery.

That being said, **** a charity for that schmuck. Why no charities for my grandfather who busted his ass all his life? Why no charities for all the folk out there who have strokes?

Dr Z is just another guy and if my grandfather couldnt get a charity raised for him, why the **** should he?

DeuceOfClub
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I wish him all the best, as long as his "legendary my ass" column doesn't ever publish again and his HoF vote is taken away.

Edit: I know this sentence is grammatically wrong, can you please fix it for me... thx.

cutthemdown
05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I hated Zipperhead, but I certainly dont wish any ill on the dude and hope he makes a full recovery.

That being said, **** a charity for that schmuck. Why no charities for my grandfather who busted his ass all his life? Why no charities for all the folk out there who have strokes?

Dr Z is just another guy and if my grandfather couldnt get a charity raised for him, why the **** should he?

Did you try and organize a charity for your grand dad? Don't begrudge people because they are getting organized and you did nothing. If you want you can start a charity that deals with people who die of strokes. My dad had a stroke, then a few yrs later a heart attack and died. I would gladly give to any Orangemane based charity that deals with strokes and heart attacks. Get it done I will be your first donor.

So the reason no charity for your Grandfather was because you failed to start one and no one else did it either. it's not because people don't care. You can always find people that care.

People on the Mane open there pocket books for stuff like that all the time. We see it time and time again when people ask for help.

cutthemdown
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
wow, didn't know about this. I enjoyed his columns

Yeah but you also like going to the DMV, dentist, and driving in traffic.

Rock Chalk
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Did you try and organize a charity for your grand dad? Don't begrudge people because they are getting organized and you did nothing. If you want you can start a charity that deals with people who die of strokes. My dad had a stroke, then a few yrs later a heart attack and died. I would gladly give to any Orangemane based charity that deals with strokes and heart attacks. Get it done I will be your first donor.

So the reason no charity for your Grandfather was because you failed to start one and no one else did it either. it's not because people don't care. You can always find people that care.

People on the Mane open there pocket books for stuff like that all the time. We see it time and time again when people ask for help.

Yeah, I have the kind of money and influence to organize a charity.

Good call dip****.

loborugger
05-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Good call dip****.

One of the husbands of my wife's book club got cancer a few years back. He has since passed. However, 2/3 years ago, we had a fund raiser for him. We all gathered at an Elk's Club or a Rotary Club, or something like that. We payed 10 bucks to get in, bought 5 dollar beers, and brought everyone we could. Someone reached out to Congressman Largent - we were in the DC area - and he donated an autographed football that was auctioned off.

We raised about 30 grand for the man and his family. It managed to pay off a long share of his medical bills so that when he did pass, the bills were payed.

Anaximines
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah but you also like going to the DMV, dentist, and driving in traffic.

and I love air travel!

cutthemdown
05-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Good call dip****.

I knew you had a small mind.

cutthemdown
05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
One of the husbands of my wife's book club got cancer a few years back. He has since passed. However, 2/3 years ago, we had a fund raiser for him. We all gathered at an Elk's Club or a Rotary Club, or something like that. We payed 10 bucks to get in, bought 5 dollar beers, and brought everyone we could. Someone reached out to Congressman Largent - we were in the DC area - and he donated an autographed football that was auctioned off.

We raised about 30 grand for the man and his family. It managed to pay off a long share of his medical bills so that when he did pass, the bills were payed.

Exactly. People like Rock spend there time bitching instead of doing. His excuse that because he is just a regular guy he can't start something big and special.

He thinks small because he hasn't the self confidence or drive to do something that is bigger then him. of course it's easy for Bill Gates to do something big, he's rich. But even a peon, like Rock, could organize 1000 other peons, throw a fund raiser, and do a lot more then he thinks.

It's just easier to do nothing though and bitch and complain. IMO his last few posts on this topic show that he has a lot to learn.

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
When Dr. Z votes at least 5 more Broncos into the HOF, I'll give a schhit. Until then, too bad and best of luck dude.

NOLA Bronco
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
When Dr. Z votes at least 5 more Broncos into the HOF, I'll give a schhit. Until then, too bad and best of luck dude.

Correct me if I am wrong, but (in a touch of irony with your avatar and moniker) wasn't Dr. Z a HUGE Tombstone Jackson fan?? Didn't he preach his worthiness to the HOF committee many, many times? The answer is yes, btw.

In fact, he named Jackson to his all century team.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1016808/index.htm

Dr. Z's credibility precedes the internet machine. Yah, he wrote columns on si.com, but its the work he did for decades beforehand where he earned his rep. Back when newspapers meant something, there were real writers like Dr. Z. The internet machine made him along with every other writer lazy.