PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!! Another positive article!!!

broncobum6162
05-12-2009, 08:40 AM
I thought it was a good read. From Milehighreport.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/11/870632/shallow-thoughts-nearsighted

55CrushEm
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
WTF.....did you see the picture in that article?? Bobby Turner has man-boobs! I thought he was skinny......wtf happened??

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 09:40 AM
The offense is absolutely loaded with talent. At 10 of the 11 positions, there is a definite above-average player.

Could have been 11 for 11, including the most important position of the offense, but no. I guess almost is not too bad, hmm or maybe almost just isn't good enough, because by my count we were 10 of 11 last year on offense and that didn't work out too well according to some people.

The Broncos have significantly more talent on their roster, top to bottom, than they did last season, and particularly, at the end of last season. I don't think you'd get a lot of argument against that statement from anybody. So, if the talent is better, isn't it a natural assumption to make that a smart coaching staff would be able to deploy that talent in such a way as to improve upon last season's 8-8 record? It follows that all of the hand-wringing about "fitting the system" is just noise.

The Broncos had significantly more talent on their roster at the beginning of 2008 than at the end - unless you can go through a magical season with no injuries, that will always be the case. Where do we have more talent than we did last year?

CB, Al Smith improves this unit a bit over last year.
S, Most improved by a mile because it was so pathetic last year, when it turns out Dawkins is nothing but a small linebacker, we may have to revise this.
RB, Certainly, Moreno is an upgrade.
LB, is for no other reason than the fact that Andra Davis is better than Nate Webster.

Where are we worse off:

QB, no matter if you think Orton and Simms will do well or not, you have to accept that Cutler is the more talented player.

The main problem is where we are not better than last year, DL. The unit that played the worst last year doesn't seem to have gotten better.

We have added some talent and subtracted some talent, but have we done enough of defense to counter the net loss of talent on offense or even as it is suggested here, to improve the team as a whole? Before people now go spouting off about the wonder that is the Mcdaniels offense, let us remind ourselves that the guy who left was no slouch when it came to putting together an offense.

Rabb
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Jesus way to piss on a parade gyld

have a little ****ing faith dude

Mr Chatterboodamn
05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh No!! Another obnoxious thread title!!

Br0nc0Buster
05-12-2009, 10:21 AM
The main problem is where we are not better than last year, DL. The unit that played the worst last year doesn't seem to have gotten better.

We have added some talent and subtracted some talent, but have we done enough of defense to counter the net loss of talent on offense or even as it is suggested here, to improve the team as a whole? Before people now go spouting off about the wonder that is the Mcdaniels offense, let us remind ourselves that the guy who left was no slouch when it came to putting together an offense.

Unless you are suggesting our defensive staff last year is on par with who we have now, then our DL should be improved slightly as the coaches will be able to get more out of them. It appears most of the guys on our Dline would be best as backups, but we have guys with potential like Thomas, Fields, and Powell because they are young and still can improve.

Shanahan could put together an offense, but he apparently forgot how to put together a defense.
Our offense was far from perfect, it is very possible to have a more *effective* offense this year
Add that along with an improved defense, and well if McDaniels is anywhere close to the coach Bowlen thinks he is, we could be a decent to good team this year

Popps
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
The increased talent also has implications for the special teams. Better team athleticism leads to better kick coverage units. This was again a weakness in 2008, and by drafting a guy like David Bruton expressly to help the special teams, and adding guys like Darcel McBath and Alphonso Smith to the coverage units, you have to think that improvement will be seen in this area.

Great article, and nice point about the special teams. It's something everyone loves to bitch about, but no one wants to address the problem on draft day.

A thin secondary and ****ty special teams made picks like Burton and McBath very logical.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Unless you are suggesting our defensive staff last year is on par with who we have now, then our DL should be improved slightly as the coaches will be able to get more out of them. It appears most of the guys on our Dline would be best as backups, but we have guys with potential like Thomas, Fields, and Powell because they are young and still can improve.

Shanahan could put together an offense, but he apparently forgot how to put together a defense.
Our offense was far from perfect, it is very possible to have a more *effective* offense this year
Add that along with an improved defense, and well if McDaniels is anywhere close to the coach Bowlen thinks he is, we could be a decent to good team this year

Is it the fact that Nolans defense in San Fran was in the bottom 7 EVERY year he was a head coach there that is giving you confidence, because yes that is in fact better than what we did last year, but not by much.

I don't have that much faith in Thomas who didn't do much to inspire confidence last year, Fields who did even less and Powell who may very well be the best rested player in the NFL currently. They may be awesome, but the evidence we have so far seems to indicate the opposite.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Jesus way to piss on a parade gyld

have a little ****ing faith dude

Faith is for suckers.

I am sure the Lions fans had faith last year that they would win some games, I am sure the Patriots fans in 2007 had faith that they would win the super bowl, how did they do? If I had any artistic ability I would draw you a picture of a truckload of disappointment.

Don't let a little realism ruin your day, if you really have faith it won't matter and if you deep down knew that maybe this team just isn't as good as some people would like to think, then I am just telling you what you already knew.

Br0nc0Buster
05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Is it the fact that Nolans defense in San Fran was in the bottom 7 EVERY year he was a head coach there that is giving you confidence, because yes that is in fact better than what we did last year, but not by much.

I don't have that much faith in Thomas who didn't do much to inspire confidence last year, Fields who did even less and Powell who may very well be the best rested player in the NFL currently. They may be awesome, but the evidence we have so far seems to indicate the opposite.

except Nolan isnt gonna be the HC, and I think he has a decent track record as far as coordinator. Dick Lebough couldnt cut it at HC, does this reflect poorly on his ability to field a tough defense?
I believe anyways his defenses at least were good at forcing turnovers.

Again you are comparing Thomas to what he did with the previous staff, I am not suggesting he will turn into Richard Seymour, but I think it is possible that you could see Thomas have a better year as I think this staff is more competent and can play more to the player's strengths.

As far as Fields, well I dont know much about him other than he is young, and apparently Nolan likes him. I think he is prolly best as a backup in a rotation, but outside of spending a high pick on a NT there really wasnt much out there to replace him with.
And Powell has yet to play, but was extremely good at run stuffing in college, he is a complete unkown

Popps
05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Faith is for suckers.

I am sure the Lions fans had faith last year that they would win some games, I am sure the Patriots fans in 2007 had faith that they would win the super bowl, how did they do? If I had any artistic ability I would draw you a picture of a truckload of disappointment.

Don't let a little realism ruin your day, if you really have faith it won't matter and if you deep down knew that maybe this team just isn't as good as some people would like to think, then I am just telling you what you already knew.

Two paragraphs that add up to a pile of poo.

You're basically saying that we don't really know what will happen until it happens.

Wow.

Thanks, boss!

Rabb
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Faith is for suckers.

to each his own I guess, I never knew being a fan of a team had to be so dreary and painful

I would say we are a damn far cry from the abysmal Lions...and if we have to be "disappointed" by a 16-0 regular season and an actual playoff win or two, then I will take it

you are right about one thing, what you are saying doesn't matter to me

broncobum6162
05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
You know what? Just cause I post a link and thought it was a good read doesn't mean I'm a McDaniel homer or think all of our problems are solved.
GYLD take it for what its worth. Its a simple article from a website that I think knows a lot about football and their insight is considered by me worth listening too. It doesn't mean they are gonna be right all the time but they DO know what they are talking about. I don't agree w/ McD on what I've seen so far, and I don't really agree w/ the draft 100 percent either, but then again who does? By posting this I'm saying that what is done is done and all the bitching in the world isn't gonna change anything at this point. Let's just agree to disagree on some points and agree that we are all Bronco fans and move on. Let's see how the season progresses from this point and save the bitchin for when the season start when we may or may not have a lot to bitch about!

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
You know what? Just cause I post a link and thought it was a good read doesn't mean I'm a McDaniel homer or think all of our problems are solved.
GYLD take it for what its worth. Its a simple article from a website that I think knows a lot about football and their insight is considered by me worth listening too. It doesn't mean they are gonna be right all the time but they DO know what they are talking about. I don't agree w/ McD on what I've seen so far, and I don't really agree w/ the draft 100 percent either, but then again who does? By posting this I'm saying that what is done is done and all the b****ing in the world isn't gonna change anything at this point. Let's just agree to disagree on some points and agree that we are all Bronco fans and move on. Let's see how the season progresses from this point and save the b****in for when the season start when we may or may not have a lot to b**** about!

I didn't mean to go after you personally, I figured you weren't the author.

broncosteven
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Faith is for suckers.

I am with you, I am such a pessimist that I dropped out of the whole Christianity thing because I refused to belive in ghosts/devils/miracles and that Jesus returned from the dead after 3 days then acended to the right hand of God.

When I see an Angel or Jesus floating around telling me all you need is love and then telling me to watch out for the truck that is about to hit me then I will believe.

Just as I will believe McStalin is the way, the truth and the light, once he shows marked improvement and or playoffs.

TonyR
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Where do we have more talent than we did last year?

CB, Al Smith improves this unit a bit over last year.
S, Most improved by a mile because it was so pathetic last year, when it turns out Dawkins is nothing but a small linebacker, we may have to revise this.

At CB and S we signed Andre Goodman and Renaldo Hill, both of whom started for Miami and are better than their predecessors.
And at his worst Dawkins will be better than last year's starters.

So you conveniently omitted from your "analysis" 2 guys who will probably be the starters at their positions. Well done.

broncosteven
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I thought it was a good read. From Milehighreport.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/11/870632/shallow-thoughts-nearsighted

BTW I like the dudes over there but they are all drinking the orange coolaid and wearing the orange glasses.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Two paragraphs that add up to a pile of poo.

You're basically saying that we don't really know what will happen until it happens.

Wow.

Thanks, boss!

Some people like to close their eyes and pretend the salty liquid is isotonic water. You can believe anything you want, but it doesn't make it true and it certainly won't make you feel better when you open your eyes.

to each his own I guess, I never knew being a fan of a team had to be so dreary and painful

I would say we are a damn far cry from the abysmal Lions...and if we have to be "disappointed" by a 16-0 regular season and an actual playoff win or two, then I will take it

you are right about one thing, what you are saying doesn't matter to me

I am sure the Lions fans last year in the offseason thought they were a far cry from going 0-16, but hope is such a funny thing, it turns out it doesn't really make a difference.

except Nolan isnt gonna be the HC, and I think he has a decent track record as far as coordinator. Dick Lebough couldnt cut it at HC, does this reflect poorly on his ability to field a tough defense?
I believe anyways his defenses at least were good at forcing turnovers.

Again you are comparing Thomas to what he did with the previous staff, I am not suggesting he will turn into Richard Seymour, but I think it is possible that you could see Thomas have a better year as I think this staff is more competent and can play more to the player's strengths.

As far as Fields, well I dont know much about him other than he is young, and apparently Nolan likes him. I think he is prolly best as a backup in a rotation, but outside of spending a high pick on a NT there really wasnt much out there to replace him with.
And Powell has yet to play, but was extremely good at run stuffing in college, he is a complete unkown

Nolan had a decent run of 3 years (2 good ones) as a DC in Baltimore. He was decent without being spectacular in his previous positions as DC if memory serves. There is a big difference between a team lead by Ray Lewis in his prime, Ed Reed, Kelly Gregg, Suggs, Baxter and Mcalister and the group we have now (He may be able to improve players a bit, but we just don't have the talent of the Ravens).

I am just not sure how much of a recipe for success it is to rely on defensive linemen who have either played poorly, sparsely or not at all. To me that seems like a huge red flag, I mean the size of the one they have at Kijŏng-dong.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
At CB and S we signed Andre Goodman and Renaldo Hill, both of whom started for Miami and are better than their predecessors.

So you conveniently omitted from your "analysis" 2 guys who will probably be the starters at their positions. Well done.

Is Goodman really that much better than Bly? To me he doesn't look that way. I do believe I said we were significantly improved at S, but maybe you didn't read that part?

S, Most improved by a mile because it was so pathetic last year.

TonyR
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Is Goodman really that much better than Bly?

Yes.

Question for you: what team does Dre Bly currently play for?

TheReverend
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Not to throw in a match or anything, but I think this is the first time in history a marked imrpovement has been expected due to the arrival of Andre Goodman or Renaldo Hill...

TonyR
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
...I think this is the first time in history a marked imrpovement has been expected due to the arrival of Andre Goodman or Renaldo Hill...

Which tells you how bad our secondary was last year. They're not Pro Bowlers but I think they're solid players. Miami was content to replace Hill (with Gibril Wilson) but I recall they weren't happy to lose Goodman.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes.

Question for you: what team does Dre Bly currently play for?

I will rephrase, is the 2008 version of Bly that much worse than the 2009 version of Goodman? The 2009 version of Bly is too old.

Br0nc0Buster
05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Nolan had a decent run of 3 years (2 good ones) as a DC in Baltimore. He was decent without being spectacular in his previous positions as DC if memory serves. There is a big difference between a team lead by Ray Lewis in his prime, Ed Reed, Kelly Gregg, Suggs, Baxter and Mcalister and the group we have now (He may be able to improve players a bit, but we just don't have the talent of the Ravens).

I am just not sure how much of a recipe for success it is to rely on defensive linemen who have either played poorly, sparsely or not at all. To me that seems like a huge red flag, I mean the size of the one they have at Kijŏng-dong.

I dont think Nolan and co. are satisfied completely with our talent, its just you cant change our defense in one year, it is a process that is going to take a bit of time.
We have upgraded the talent, we have upgraded the coaching, maybe we have not done enough to satisfy some fans, but the constant gashing of our defense was more than just a lack of talent, and more than just a lack of good defensive linemen.

Our defense wont be awesome this year, I dont know anyone who would suggest that, the goal is to work towards improvement.
Improve upon last year, then next year improve upon this year, and if the coaches know what they are doing, and can get good talent to fit the system, in a few years our defense could be dramatically improved

We dont know for sure if the coaches are doing the right things, we wont know that at this time, but there is evidence to suggest they have a better idea of how to build a defense than the guys previously

TheReverend
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Which tells you how bad our secondary was last year. They're not Pro Bowlers but I think they're solid players. Miami was content to replace Hill (with Gibril Wilson) but I recall they weren't happy to lose Goodman.

They were so unhappy about him leaving they refused to pay the whopping pennies he got here...

broncobum6162
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Actually, Gyldenlove, we aren't that different on our opinions of how the Bronco coaching staff has performed and like I posted earlier I'm not a big fan of McD because of how he came in w/ his guns blazing. That being said the words "Hope" and "Faith" keep coming up in this thread. I think its fair to assume that we as Bronco fans "Hope" that we do better than last year, but the "Faith" part of it is really lacking. My "Faith" in McD is this. That he's has put his money where his mouth is and that he has made his bed to lye (or lie, pick your choice) in. In that I have "Faith" that he will do the best he can based on his brief but good tenure as serving under Belecheat. Now whether he has learned well enough to become a great eye of talent and to coach a team which I believe has a great deal of good things going for it remains to be seen. This is where we differ, you believe we are doomed for this upcoming year where I'm not willing to go that far yet. We definitely have the deck stacked against us but who knows, we may surprise people next year and I'm willing to give him a chance to succeed and win me over. We aren't even close to the Detroit Lions so I don't see how that applies to this team. Their fans just "Hope" they don't have another losing year and have absolutely no "Faith" in their organization. Look at them based on the last 50 years and then look at us.

Some people like to close their eyes and pretend the salty liquid is isotonic water. You can believe anything you want, but it doesn't make it true and it certainly won't make you feel better when you open your eyes.

I am sure the Lions fans last year in the offseason thought they were a far cry from going 0-16, but hope is such a funny thing, it turns out it doesn't really make a difference.

cutthemdown
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM

You don't think Ayers upgrades the talent on dline?

Also Peterson IMO should have been starting last yr mainly because he's big. I think he's decent/avg lineman who will be pretty good for Broncos against the run.

And if you consider Ayers unable to raise the talent level because he is a rookie, then what would you have liked Broncos to do to upgrade that spot? FA? really most of them were wastes of money. It's just not easy to upgrade talent at a spot you want, just because you want it. The players you need have to be available.

If Ayers plays decent and more physical then Engleberger, and Peterson can start, then at least we have an outside chance at being better at DE. Honestly OT didn't look much better going into last yr. A rookie LT and a RT who had been hurt and never played.

I understand the pessimism I just don't agree with it. Shanny's style of small football players who don't smash people in the mouth had gotten really dull and pussified. Sort of like the Mane recently.

broncobum6162
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
WTF.....did you see the picture in that article?? Bobby Turner has man-boobs! I thought he was skinny......wtf happened??

Don't know. I wonder if he wears a "Man-bra". Check this video out

http://www.mediabum.com/videos/Man-Boobs.html

To remove the annoying pop up that blocks the video, right click on it where it says to block ads from fast.click

Even Charlie Weiss and the "Tuna" made this video!:rofl:

TonyR
05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
They were so unhappy about him leaving they refused to pay the whopping pennies he got here...

You must be thinking of the wrong signing because Goodman got pretty good coin, particularly the guaranteed money.

In Goodman, the Broncos" braintrust of McDaniels and Xanders just made their most expensive purchase to date.

The former Miami Dolphins cornerback agreed to a five-year, $20.4 million contract with the Broncos that can reach $25 million if he plays 75 percent of the defensive snaps.

With the deal also including nearly $9.8 million in guarantees, better believe Goodman will be counted on to participate in 75 percent of the plays.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11815119

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
You don't think Ayers upgrades the talent on dline?

Also Peterson IMO should have been starting last yr mainly because he's big. I think he's decent/avg lineman who will be pretty good for Broncos against the run.

And if you consider Ayers unable to raise the talent level because he is a rookie, then what would you have liked Broncos to do to upgrade that spot? FA? really most of them were wastes of money. It's just not easy to upgrade talent at a spot you want, just because you want it. The players you need have to be available.

If Ayers plays decent and more physical then Engleberger, and Peterson can start, then at least we have an outside chance at being better at DE. Honestly OT didn't look much better going into last yr. A rookie LT and a RT who had been hurt and never played.

I understand the pessimism I just don't agree with it. Shanny's style of small football players who don't smash people in the mouth had gotten really dull and pussified. Sort of like the Mane recently.

There are 2 significant differences between our OT position last year and DE this year: 1, we have one of the best if not the best OL coach, 2. it is much more common for young OTs to contribute significantly than young DLs.

Here are 2 players I want you to consider:

A is 6'3 and weighs 272 lbs. B is 6'4 and weighs 272 lbs.

A can run 40 yards in 4.77, B can run it in 4.69.

A can benchpress 225 lbs 18 times, B can do it 32 times.

B can jump higher and broader than A, has a better shuttle and 3-cone time.

Positives for A: Powerfully built athlete. Good lower-body strength to hold up at the point of attack. Flashes the ability to anchor and split double-team blocks on the edge. Good initial hand punch to stun the offensive tackle. Flashes some upfield burst to challenge wide and has good lateral quickness to redirect inside. Good use of hands to slap away the tackle's hands. Varies his speed off the edge and can surprise a lackadaisical blocker with suddenness. Can close with authority, flashing explosiveness. Versatile defender with experience at tackle and end. Developed into a team leader as a senior. Could be an ascending player who is just beginning to scratch the surface of his vast potential.

Positives for B: Has an adequate frame, but shows decent muscle development in his arms and a good bubble, but also has room to add at least another 10 pounds of bulk without having it affect his quickness...Has natural playing strength and adequate quickness that he uses in battles with offensive tackles to disengage...Can shed quickly vs. single blocks when he keeps his hands active and has the functional short-area burst to pressure the pocket...Plays with proper knee bend and adequate flexibility, running with a normal stride...Has enough hip snap to redirect and the burst to close on the ball carrier...Spends his extra hours in the weight room trying to improve his impressive strength...Blue-collar type who has total command in the huddle and does a good job of keeping the younger players in check...Has the balance to keep his feet active flashing through traffic...Swings his hips around and stays low in his pads to work to the ball in pursuit...Has the agility to plant and drive out of his breaks, and the quickness off the snap to push offensive linemen back on their heels...Quick enough to turn the corner and agile enough to counter in-line blocking...Uses his hands aggressively, delivering a punishing initial jolt...Flows to the ball well and does a good job of sinking his weight and putting his foot firmly into the ground to hold firmly at the point of attack...When he keeps his hands inside his frame, he is effective at shedding...Has the torque agility to get a push off the blocker and close on the cutback lanes...Beats most blocks coming off the edge, but needs to show better pre-snap awareness (can be pulled offside)...Will not hesitate to face up to the bigger linemen, doing a nice job of fitting on the run to finish...When he comes off blocks low, he can consistently stop the ball carrier's forward charge...Extends his arms well to beat off reach blocks, keeping his hands active in attempts to shed...Closes on the pocket with good urgency, displaying better slant ability and took better angles to pressure the quarterback ...Good wrap-up tackler who hits with force and has the reach-around ability to strip the ball carrier from the pigskin...Times his leaps well to knock down the pass at the line of scrimmage...Despite giving up considerable bulk, he is stout at the point of attack working on the edge...Attacks the outside hard and keeps his balance while holding his ground firmly vs. the power charge...Keeps his feet moving when attacking and has enough balance to slip past blocks.

They sound pretty similar to me, but B looks like a better athlete all around.

They are both Denver Broncos by the way, one guy is named Ayers and the other is named Crowder, I will let you guess which is which and why that makes me feel not super excited about Ayers.

gyldenlove
05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
You must be thinking of the wrong signing because Goodman got pretty good coin, particularly the guaranteed money.

In Goodman, the Broncos" braintrust of McDaniels and Xanders just made their most expensive purchase to date.

The former Miami Dolphins cornerback agreed to a five-year, $20.4 million contract with the Broncos that can reach $25 million if he plays 75 percent of the defensive snaps.

With the deal also including nearly $9.8 million in guarantees, better believe Goodman will be counted on to participate in 75 percent of the plays.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11815119

I can see how they were really hurting from him leaving, they didn't want to match a contract that is smaller than what Foxworth got in Baltimore?

Br0nc0Buster
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
They are both Denver Broncos by the way, one guy is named Ayers and the other is named Crowder, I will let you guess which is which and why that makes me feel not super excited about Ayers.

Well there are lots of examples of guys that can put up impressive workout numbers and still suck
There was that Hollis Thomas guy who was like 300 + and could do backflips
Vernon Davis I believe was the strongest TE at the combine and posted the fasted 40 ever for a TE

I am not exactly sure why Crowder sucks, but Texas players seem to be ill prepared for the NFL
There are reasons to doubt Ayers, but I think this is some weak sauce right here

cmhargrove
05-12-2009, 01:44 PM
There are 2 significant differences between our OT position last year and DE this year: 1, we have one of the best if not the best OL coach, 2. it is much more common for young OTs to contribute significantly than young DLs.

Positives for A: Powerfully built athlete. Good lower-body strength to hold up at the point of attack. Flashes the ability to anchor and split double-team blocks on the edge. Good initial hand punch to stun the offensive tackle. Flashes some upfield burst to challenge wide and has good lateral quickness to redirect inside. Good use of hands to slap away the tackle's hands. Varies his speed off the edge and can surprise a lackadaisical blocker with suddenness. Can close with authority, flashing explosiveness. Versatile defender with experience at tackle and end. Developed into a team leader as a senior. Could be an ascending player who is just beginning to scratch the surface of his vast potential.

Positives for B: Has an adequate frame, but shows decent muscle development in his arms and a good bubble, but also has room to add at least another 10 pounds of bulk without having it affect his quickness...Has natural playing strength and adequate quickness that he uses in battles with offensive tackles to disengage...Can shed quickly vs. single blocks when he keeps his hands active and has the functional short-area burst to pressure the pocket...Plays with proper knee bend and adequate flexibility, running with a normal stride...Has enough hip snap to redirect and the burst to close on the ball carrier...Spends his extra hours in the weight room trying to improve his impressive strength...Blue-collar type who has total command in the huddle and does a good job of keeping the younger players in check...Has the balance to keep his feet active flashing through traffic...Swings his hips around and stays low in his pads to work to the ball in pursuit...Has the agility to plant and drive out of his breaks, and the quickness off the snap to push offensive linemen back on their heels...Quick enough to turn the corner and agile enough to counter in-line blocking...Uses his hands aggressively, delivering a punishing initial jolt...Flows to the ball well and does a good job of sinking his weight and putting his foot firmly into the ground to hold firmly at the point of attack...When he keeps his hands inside his frame, he is effective at shedding...Has the torque agility to get a push off the blocker and close on the cutback lanes...Beats most blocks coming off the edge, but needs to show better pre-snap awareness (can be pulled offside)...Will not hesitate to face up to the bigger linemen, doing a nice job of fitting on the run to finish...When he comes off blocks low, he can consistently stop the ball carrier's forward charge...Extends his arms well to beat off reach blocks, keeping his hands active in attempts to shed...Closes on the pocket with good urgency, displaying better slant ability and took better angles to pressure the quarterback ...Good wrap-up tackler who hits with force and has the reach-around ability to strip the ball carrier from the pigskin...Times his leaps well to knock down the pass at the line of scrimmage...Despite giving up considerable bulk, he is stout at the point of attack working on the edge...Attacks the outside hard and keeps his balance while holding his ground firmly vs. the power charge...Keeps his feet moving when attacking and has enough balance to slip past blocks.

Why don't you run a comparison of Vernon Gholston vs. Lawrence Taylor while we are looking at bench press and 40.

I think we would all agree that football players should be judged on more than their "measurables." Unless those measurables are tackles, sacks, etc..

I don't know what will become of Ayers, but even watching him compete against the SEC and Senior Bowl competition has me more excited than Crowder ever did. That being said - Go Crowder! Steal the damn job from Ayers if you can!

Competition will make the team stronger, Ayers should be an asset. Maybe he takes a double team off of Elvis so Elvis can get 13-15 sacks this year. That would be a plus.

misturanderson
05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Our Safeties were BY FAR our worst unit last year.

DenverBrit
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
BTW I like the dudes over there but they are all drinking the orange coolaid and wearing the orange glasses.

It's a nice counterbalance to the McStalin/GutlessDrunk crowd who can't wait for McDaniels to be run out of town. ;D

DenverBrit
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM

That's why you're not an NFL talent evaluator.
The armchair GMs look at stats and make decisions about a player's worth.
Real talent is judged by performance on the field, extensive film work, background checks, scouting reports, private workouts and combines.
Pre-draft reports, by so called experts, are primarily for the fans.