PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA trade was the best?

PaintballCLE
05-10-2009, 07:28 PM
1. Billups for Iverson

2. Mo Williams for Joe Smith and Damon Jones

3. Ron Artest for Dante Green, Bobby Jackson, and 2009 first round pick.

4. Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie (who the Lakers signed earlier today), the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010

5. Kevin Garnett for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade.

6. Ray Allen for Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and the rights to the 2007 NBA Draft's No. 5 overall pick

debate!

BroncoDoug
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Chaunce completely changed the culture of the Nuggets this year, while Iverson went awol on detroit and "lead" them to an 8 seed.

PaintballCLE
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Chaunce completely changed the culture of the Nuggets this year, while Iverson went awol on detroit and "lead" them to an 8 seed.

very true, though i voted for Mo williams..........made the cavs a good team into the leagues best.

BroncoDoug
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Well I'm a big homer, and you would have better knowledge of the Mo Williams deal :D

SouthStndJunkie
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM

I agree....the Nuggets stand pat with A.I. and I think they would have lost in the first round again.

BroncoDoug
05-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I agree....the Nuggets stand pat with A.I. and I think they would have lost in the first round again.

I personally don't think they would of made the playoffs this year without that deal. They would have been the Phoenix Suns this year

PaintballCLE
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Well I'm a big homer, and you would have better knowledge of the Mo Williams deal :D

lol are you trying to imply something? LOL

SouthStndJunkie
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I personally don't think they would of made the playoffs this year without that deal. They would have been the Phoenix Suns this year

They could have very easily missed the playoffs.

bombay
05-10-2009, 07:48 PM
The Chauncey Billups trade was my favorite, of course.

Garnett has to be the best, though. He took a 25 win team to the top of the league in one year, and made a bum like Paul Pierce into a great team player, at least for a season.

Killericon
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
It's hard to pick between the Garnett and the Allen deals, because you can't really see how big one was against the other. If these Rockets keep going, it'll have to be Artest, but for now I'd say Billups.

Moreno Knows Best
05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Well at this point in time, I think it HAS to be KG and Ray Allen. I mean, they won a championship, and that trumps all.

Next might be Mo Williams, because it looks like the Cavs win it all this year.

BroncoDoug
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
lol are you trying to imply something? LOL

haha, no not implying, just stating that you live in Cleavland so you would have a better knowledge of the Cavs then I do :D

Orange Blood
05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The Garnett trade was criminal though. So lopsided.

Orange_Beard
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Garnet has a ring.

Bronco X
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
On it's own I'd give it to the Garnett deal. The Garnett and Allen deals go hand in hand... they probably don't win a championship without the Allen deal and they definitely don't without the Garnett deal... regardless it's kind of hard to judge them on their own because of it, but I'd give it to the Garnett deal.

The Mo Williams deal was nice but no way did it have the kind of profound impact on the team the Billups deal did. Lebron is the man in Cleveland... he's the team's identity and it's just a matter of putting the right pieces around him. The Billups deal CHANGED the identity of the Nuggets. Only the Garnett deal of the ones mentioned can be argued to have that particular kind of impact.

The homer in me wants to make an argument for the Billups deal. I think the impact it had on the Nuggets was the most surprising and special of the ones mentioned. Everyone knew Garnett and Gasol would have the kind of impacts on the teams it wound up having. When the Billups AI deal went down, though few want to admit it now, the reaction was pretty much 50-50 as far as who won the deal. And NO ONE thought it would have this kind of impact. And the nature of the impact is so elusive. You can't pin it down with numbers. He just changed the mentality of the team. It's been as much about his presence as an on the floor coach as it has been about how he plays the game.

spdirty
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Can't say anything but 7 coming here. Loved the guy since he played at GW though, so I'm kinda homerish. :)

BMarsh615
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Probably the Chauncey trade, even though the Mo Williams trade made Cleveland the best team in the league.

broncofan2438
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Go Nuggs!!! Enough said

Broncosfreak_56
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
The Garnett trade was criminal though. So lopsided.

Al Jefferson is really good, and he is young. I would almost rather have him than Garnett at this point, as long as he can stay healthy.

For me though, obviously the Chauncey trade. AI who?

BroncoBuff
05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
It's either Billups or Gasol ... I'll let you know which in about 10 days.

The temptation is to say Garnett because they won a title ... but look closer: Garnett wanted out and might have played out his deal. Plus, the Wolves got Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade. Minnesota also receives cash considerations in the deal. Lots of junk, but some expiring contracts, and a couple first rounders.

BroncoBuff
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
... a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) ...

Paging Josh McDaniels ... Josh McDaniels to the classroom, please.

Rock Chalk
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Its pretty hard to argue with Billups for AI.

Denver got a decent human being amongst the rest of the thugs on that team and got rid of the dumbest asshole on the planet in AI.

Denver went from a good team when Melo was hot to a great team regardless of how Melo plays.

Mo Williams and Ron Artest trades are distant second and third IMO.

PaintballCLE
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
wow, no love for mo williams huh? sure hes not the best player of the bunch, but when you look at what they gave up i still think it was the best.

Denver already had 2 "superstar" players, they just swapped one..........although i think billups is better (especially at this point in his career) they really didn't "steal a player".

The cavs however gave up joe smith and damon jones, they then cut joe smith, and they got hime back...so basically it was mo williams for damon jones. Can't beat that!

FADERPROOF
05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
wow, no love for mo williams huh? sure hes not the best player of the bunch, but when you look at what they gave up i still think it was the best.

Denver already had 2 "superstar" players, they just swapped one..........although i think billups is better (especially at this point in his career) they really didn't "steal a player".

The cavs however gave up joe smith and damon jones, they then cut joe smith, and they got hime back...so basically it was mo williams for damon jones. Can't beat that!

Mo would be 2nd on the list, mainly because of what the trade was, after Joe Smith was released and signed back with Cleveland the trade is now Mo Williams for Damon Jones.

I picked Garnett because the Celtics have the hardware to show it, and this year they have shown how(even with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen) have struggled without his presence and to even make it to the finals, let along win it, would be a surprise.

Inkana7
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM

The temptation is to say Garnett because they won a title ... but look closer: Garnett wanted out and might have played out his deal. Plus, the Wolves got Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade. Minnesota also receives cash considerations in the deal. Lots of junk, but some expiring contracts, and a couple first rounders.

Garnett wanted out? People chastised KG because he would never leave that ****hole.

FADERPROOF
05-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Ask all Celtics personnel, players, and fans and they'll say "WORTH IT!"

Inkana7
05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Plus 1st Round picks aren't that valuable in the NBA.