PDA

View Full Version : OT. Top 10 vocalists, male or female.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Since music seems to be a hot subject with bands and albums I thought it would be interesting to see who people think are the best singers.

Mine would be.

1-Otis Redding
2-Aretha Franklin
3-Ray Charles
4-Van Morrison
5-Sam Cooke
6-Robert Plant
7-John Lennon
8-Roy Orbison
9-James Brown
10-Patsy Cline

That was a hard list to make but I like it, it's a good list.

BroncoMan4ever
05-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Since music seems to be a hot subject with bands and albums I thought it would be interesting to see who people think are the best singers.

Mine would be.

1-Otis Redding
2-Aretha Franklin
3-Ray Charles
4-Van Morrison
5-Sam Cooke
6-Robert Plant
7-John Lennon
8-Roy Orbison
9-James Brown
10-Patsy Cline

when i think of the best vocalists, i think of those singers who are instantly recognizable.
1 Steven Tyler
2 Elvis Presley
3 James Hetfield
4 Aretha Franklin
5 Janis Joplin
6 Bob Dylan
7 Chester Bennington(listen to this dude's voice. i know some people may bitch about him being mentioned, but this dude has a set of pipes on him)
8 Eddie Vedder
9 Bette Midler
10 Bon Scott

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
when i think of the best vocalists, i think of those singers who are instantly recognizable.
1 Steven Tyler
2 Elvis Presley
3 James Hetfield
4 Aretha Franklin
5 Janis Joplin
6 Bob Dylan
7 Chester Bennington(listen to this dude's voice. i know some people may b**** about him being mentioned, but this dude has a set of pipes on him)
8 Eddie Vedder
9 Bette Midler
10 Bon Scott

I agree with great vocalist being instantly recognizable. But I can recognize crappy vocalists instantly as well. I mean when I hear Brittany Spears I instantly say that is Brittany Spears, but she is a crappy singer.

It's all about the tone and voice control.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Marvin Gaye
Aretha Franklin
--------------------------
Everyone else

Whitney Houston
Michael Jackson
Tina Turner
Ray Charles
Aliyah
SWV -Singing group
Alicia Keys
tammi terrell
----------------
Pat Benatar I like her for some reason

Punisher
05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
lykke li is pretty good to...

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Eddie Vedder
Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury
Chester Bennington
Chris Cornell
Maynard
Mark Lanegan
Peter Gabriel
Cinjun Tate
Greg Brown

Sodak
05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Chris Cornell

WABronco
05-09-2009, 04:48 PM
For their genre, Maynard and Zach de la Rocha are pretty good.

BizzyBone7
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Donnie Hathaway
Steven Perry
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Ben E King
Chris Cornell
David Ruffin
Alicia Keys
Marvin Gaye
James Brown

Los Broncos
05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Sam Cooke

James Harman

Blind Willie Johnson

Bobby Caldwell

Billy Dean

Blind Willie McTell

Chino Moreno

Jim Croce

Mitch Kashmar

Peter Frampton

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 05:46 PM
(Has a slant towards my music preference)

1. Elvis Presley
2. MJKeenan (if you add lyric writing ability, he's number one easily above Lennon/McCartney imo)
3. Phil Collins, you know you love him, ******s
4. Phil Anselmo
5. Chris Cornell
6. Howard Jones
7. Ozzy (Unique points out the balls and sounds great live)
8. Cristina Scabbia
9. David Draiman
10. Llayne Staley

TDmvp
05-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Are we talking who we like based on liking their style or actual technical talent ?

Like i said in the Amy Winehouse thread
I think most people pick the singers they like based on liking the style not as much on if that person is technically sound/talented ...

Like my fav right now and it changes , Is Arron Lewis of Staind because i really like his style but i can name 10 easy more talented / technical singers.

Here is one I aint seen mentioned I don't think ... David Coverdale .

But as a singer I think this needs to be a 2 parter , Your Fav and who you think is the most talented .

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Mine would be.

1-Otis Redding
2-Aretha Franklin
3-Ray Charles
4-Van Morrison
5-Sam Cooke
6-Robert Plant
7-John Lennon
8-Roy Orbison
9-James Brown
10-Patsy Cline

That's a good list. Maybe add Johnny Nash, Smoky Robinson, Porter Wagner, Ernie Ford.

TDmvp
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
That's a good list. Maybe add Johnny Nash, Smoky Robinson, Porter Wagner, Ernie Ford.

Porter Wagner boy that brings back memories . My father loves that era stuff .

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Are we talking who we like based on liking their style or actual technical talent ?

Like i said in the Amy Winehouse thread
I think most people pick the singers they like based on liking the style not as much on if that person is technically sound/talented ...

Like my fav right now and it changes , Is Arron Lewis of Staind because i really like his style but i can name 10 easy more talented / technical singers.

Here is one I aint seen mentioned I don't think ... David Coverdale .

But as a singer I think this needs to be a 2 parter , Your Fav and who you think is the most talented .

Oh boy, you trying to get me started? You had a good laugh last time.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Porter Wagner boy that brings back memories . My father loves that era stuff .

OK, I see you're not.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Sinatra. Chairman of the Board.

TDmvp
05-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh boy, you trying to get me started? You had a good laugh last time.

I wasn't even trying to get you started last time Cito , it was just a opinion and i never mentioned you .

0 hard feelings man .

oubronco
05-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Sebastion Bach - SkidRow
Klause Mein - Scorpions
Rob Halford - Judas Priest
Ozzy - Ozzy

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I wasn't even trying to get you started last time Cito , it was just a opinion and i never mentioned you .

0 hard feelings man .

You got the last laugh. But 0 sounds good to me.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Louis Armstrong. That's going way back. Satchmo.

"We Have All the Time In The World"

Classic. Check it out, you'll enjoy it.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Donnie Hathaway
Steven Perry
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Ben E King
Chris Cornell
David Ruffin
Alicia Keys
Marvin Gaye
James Brown

Marvin Gaye, Ben E. King, Smoky Robinson, beautiful and powerful voices. Some of my favorites.

GoBroncos84
05-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Voice, lyrics, and intangibles all factor into making a great lead singer. Some on this list don't have a "top ten voice" alone, but make up for it in the other areas.

1- Maynard James Keenan (best voice in rock, best lyrics in any genre. Best ever IMO)
2- Serj Tankian (Incredible range and very distinguishing voice with great content)
3- Brandon Boyd
4- Corey Taylor
5- Eddie Vedder
6- Chino Moreno (originality points and very artistic lyricist)
7- David Draiman (just love his voice, and his energy live is amazing)
8- Amy Lee (gorgeous, haunting voice)
9- Roger Waters
10- Chris Volz

I want to put Zack de la Rocha and Trent Reznor, but neither has a great signing voice. Great for their genre, and they have all of the intangibles and content. I just don't think what they do vocally is elite. The people listed above are hard to imitate, they have rare vocal talent.

TDmvp
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
You got the last laugh. But 0 sounds good to me.

http://www.kotamabouabane.com/files/gimgs/79_797-just-let-it-go.jpg

bombay
05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll start with David Gilmour and Gary Brooker. Have to revisit the rest later.

TDmvp
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll start with David Gilmour and Gary Brooker. Have to revisit the rest later.

Gilmour is the the total package . In my top fav guitarist and is a great vocalist .

Dr. Broncenstein
05-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Chris Cornell

Rep... not my choice for greatest, but certainly an awesome voice.

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't know half these people. I'm a pop guy Richie Valens, the Motown gang, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, the Country gang, the old-timers Patsy Kline (that lady could sing), Jim Reeves.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
The following are my favorite voices, in quasi order:

Sam Cooke
Stevie Wonder
Jenny Lewis
Chris Cornell
Roy Orbison
Elvis Costello
Ian Moore
Willie Nelson
James Brown
Jeff Buckley

frerottenextelway
05-09-2009, 08:05 PM
1. Darius Rucker
2. Marvin Gaye
3. Others

Cito Pelon
05-09-2009, 08:15 PM
The following are my favorite voices, in quasi order:

Sam Cooke
Stevie Wonder
Jenny Lewis
Chris Cornell
Roy Orbison
Elvis Costello
Ian Moore
Willie Nelson
James Brown
Jeff Buckley

These are who I've heard:

The top two.
Orbison.
Costello.
Nelson.
James 'Everything I Play is Funky' Brown (I'm assuming we're talking about the same guy)

One of the best vocalists I've heard is Smokey Robinson. Then
Marvin Gaye
Johnny Nash
Elvis Presley
Peter Tosh
Johnny Cash

loborugger
05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
1 Steven Tyler
2 Elvis Presley
3 James Hetfield
4 Aretha Franklin
5 Janis Joplin
6 Bob Dylan
7 Chester Bennington(listen to this dude's voice. i know some people may b**** about him being mentioned, but this dude has a set of pipes on him)
8 Eddie Vedder
9 Bette Midler
10 Bon Scott

James Hetfield...

James freakin Hetfield...

Are you kidding me? I didnt even look at the rest of the list.

I cant sing, and I am damn near as good as James Hetfield. William Hung thinks James Hetfield can't sing.

Dude, I am a huge Rush fan... HUGE... and I would never include Geddy Lee on a list of greatest singers. Take a cue from my book, and dont include the singer from your fav band just cuz he is the singer from your fav band. Its like including your buck tooth, cross eyed, downs syndrome girl friend on the list of 10 hottest chicks on the planet - just to make her happy. You know she aint on that list, I know she aint on that list, she knows she aint on that list, but it makes everyone happy.

Sorry, I aint usually this hard on folks on the mane... I have been sampling the Bushmills all night... but James Hetfield? Man, I gotta drink a bit more before I am with you.

Although, he is better than half the Idol winners, so I guess that makes him 'great.'

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Marvin Gaye
Aretha Franklin
--------------------------
Everyone else

Whitney Houston
Michael Jackson
Tina Turner
Ray Charles
Aliyah
SWV -Singing group
Alicia Keys
tammi terrell
----------------
Pat Benatar I like her for some reason

Pat Benatar was classical trained, very good voice control. Also Marvin would have been on my list if I didn't want to put some females.

Honestly I would put him over my Patsy Cline choice but I was being somewhat diplomatic.

Aretha, well she should be on everyones list.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Really it was a list I came up with sort of quick. So many other great names on other people lists also, and then some I think are sort of funny. That's what makes music a great art form though something for everyone.

watermock
05-09-2009, 09:17 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyL2vAUVOM0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyL2vAUVOM0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bombay
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Gilmour is the the total package . In my top fav guitarist and is a great vocalist .

Agree. He's a sensational singer and guitarist. As brilliant a songwriter as Roger Waters is, he made a serious miscalculation leaving Pink Floyd and thinking the band would disband. Gilmour is the sound of Pink Floyd.

watermock
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K28Zgo72ODg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K28Zgo72ODg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BroncoLifer
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
James Hetfield...

Take a cue from my book, and dont include the singer from your fav band just cuz he is the singer from your fav band. Its like including your buck tooth, cross eyed, downs syndrome girl friend on the list of 10 hottest chicks on the planet - just to make her happy. You know she aint on that list, I know she aint on that list, she knows she aint on that list, but it makes everyone happy.

Sorry, I aint usually this hard on folks on the mane... I have been sampling the Bushmills all night... but James Hetfield? Man, I gotta drink a bit more before I am with you.

At last, the voice of reason.

Bob Dylan a best singer?
Bon Freaking Scott?!?
Ozzy Osborne, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, John Lennon????

Holy crap!!! There are a lot of people on this thread who lack the slightest clue about what good singing is.

I like Tom Petty, so according to the logic displayed on this thread, he must be one of the world's best singers. ROFL!

Archer81
05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Hmm...

Toni Braxton
Alanis Morrisette
Gavin Rossdale
Chris Cornell
Michael Jackson
Janis Joplin
Jim Morrison
Tina Turner
Claudio Sanchez

:Broncos:

Boobs McGee
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Imo, etta james has a better voice than aretha.

BUT, Lauryn Hill takes the cake for my favorite female vocalist. Range, tone, the whole nine. she has some LUNGS

close second is eva cassidy. She was flat out phenominal. but she passed away in her prime unfortunately :( one of the purest vocalists I've heard in a long time

footstepsfrom#27
05-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Some of these are ridiculous.

I don't know who the top 10 female vocalists of all time are...but it's pretty tough to argue with Aretha Franklin's legendary impact on soul as the most influential, if not the best (she may be that too) but the top vocalist today, male or female...and the most powerful voice currently on stage has to be Mariah Carey. Nobody has her range or pure power combined. She's also the largest selling solo artist in history. Off the top of my head...the top 5 today:

1. Mariah Carey
2. Whitney Houston
3. Tony Braxton
4. Yolanda Adams
5. Alicia Keys

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnZvh4iNP2Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnZvh4iNP2Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Archer81
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I think the strongest voice I have ever heard in a person has been Whitney Houston. Hope she can recapture that.

:Broncos:

Boobs McGee
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
If we're going pure sales and stage power, celine dion without question owns all

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I prefer the tone of a male voice to a female voice, and that was reflected in my list.

One time Mariah and Aretha were on same stage. Aretha schooled her. She really is that much better then Alicia Keys, Mariah, Whitney, all of them. IMO they aren't in same ball park.

Boobs McGee
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I prefer the tone of a male voice to a female voice, and that was reflected in my list.

One time Mariah and Aretha were on same stage. Aretha schooled her. She really is that much better then Alicia Keys, Mariah, Whitney, all of them. IMO they aren't in same ball park.

I'm the opposite. LOVE females voices.

did you guys see THIS ****!<!<!<>>!>>!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Brown_(Brazilian_singer)

eight ****ing octaves.

eight.

a G ****ing 10.

wow

watermock
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AaqHfFpomxU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AaqHfFpomxU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boobs McGee
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AaqHfFpomxU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AaqHfFpomxU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hahahahahaaaa

cutthemdown
05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm the opposite. LOVE females voices.

did you guys see THIS ****!<!<!<>>!>>!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Brown_(Brazilian_singer)

eight ****ing octaves.

eight.

a G ****ing 10.

wow

The link didn't tell me much.

Astrud Gilberto I should have mentioned. She died young I think, but what an amazing voice. She could sing effortlessly in 3 languages. SHe has an amazing voice, check it out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMX6E68qJAg

There is a sound clip of her playing with Stan Getz, one of the greatest voices on Tenor sax ever. Also the album they made together, Getz/Gilberto one of the all time great Jazz albums, one of my all time favorites. I should have put her on my list.

BroncoMan4ever
05-10-2009, 12:17 AM
James Hetfield...

I cant sing, and I am damn near as good as James Hetfield. William Hung thinks James Hetfield can't sing.

Dude, I am a huge Rush fan... HUGE... and I would never include Geddy Lee on a list of greatest singers. Take a cue from my book, and dont include the singer from your fav band just cuz he is the singer from your fav band. Its like including your buck tooth, cross eyed, downs syndrome girl friend on the list of 10 hottest chicks on the planet - just to make her happy. You know she aint on that list, I know she aint on that list, she knows she aint on that list, but it makes everyone happy.

Although, he is better than half the Idol winners, so I guess that makes him 'great.'

listen to his voice. he has one of the most powerful voices in all of metal, can also do the melodic, softer ballads and sound great. you may not like the guy or his band, but he is easily one of the best rock/metal vocalists ever.

also, there is going to be some bias in most people's lists based on the music each individual listens to

footstepsfrom#27
05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I think the strongest voice I have ever heard in a person has been Whitney Houston. Hope she can recapture that.

2006 Grammy Awards...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EbYmMb4lR4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EbYmMb4lR4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maximus
05-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Female Singers

1. Minnie Ripperton
2. Phyllis Hyman
3. Whitney Houston
4. Patti Labelle
5. Tina Marie
6. Jennifer Holliday
7. Billie Holliday
8. Miriam Makeba
9. Sarah Vaughn
10. Chante Moore

Male Singers

1. Luther Vandross
2. Otis Redding
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Smokey Robinson
5. Ray Charles
6. Sam Cooke
7. Eddie Kendrick
8. Barry "Maestro" White
9. Johnny Taylor
10. James Brown

No particular order

cutthemdown
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Female Singers

1. Minnie Ripperton
2. Phyllis Hyman
3. Whitney Houston
4. Patti Labelle
5. Tina Marie
6. Jennifer Holliday
7. Billie Holliday
8. Miriam Makeba
9. Sarah Vaughn
10. Chante Moore

Male Singers

1. Luther Vandross
2. Otis Redding
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Smokey Robinson
5. Ray Charles
6. Sam Cooke
7. Eddie Kendrick
8. Barry "Maestro" White
9. Johnny Taylor
10. James Brown

No particular order

I love Johnny Taylor. My band covers his WHOSE MAKIN LOVE.

cutthemdown
05-10-2009, 12:39 AM
listen to his voice. he has one of the most powerful voices in all of metal, can also do the melodic, softer ballads and sound great. you may not like the guy or his band, but he is easily one of the best rock/metal vocalists ever.

also, there is going to be some bias in most people's lists based on the music each individual listens to

I really think when it comes to all time greatest, going back to the birth of recorded music, Hetfield falls way short. You are right though for his band, heavy rock, his voice is perfect. All time voice though? I don't think so.

TDmvp
05-10-2009, 12:51 AM
:strong:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/71yzrqrCdoI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/71yzrqrCdoI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHZlfTPJdKw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHZlfTPJdKw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/459DlYP6Ffg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/459DlYP6Ffg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TDmvp
05-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Reach deep into your hearts and your pocket books and take his hand .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YPdO7KEk14

Ironlung
05-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Maynard

gunns
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Female Singers

1. Minnie Ripperton
2. Phyllis Hyman
3. Whitney Houston
4. Patti Labelle
5. Tina Marie
6. Jennifer Holliday
7. Billie Holliday
8. Miriam Makeba
9. Sarah Vaughn
10. Chante Moore

Male Singers

1. Luther Vandross
2. Otis Redding
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Smokey Robinson
5. Ray Charles
6. Sam Cooke
7. Eddie Kendrick
8. Barry "Maestro" White
9. Johnny Taylor
10. James Brown

No particular order

I was going to post a list and it would have included Teena Marie, I'm assuming it's the same one you are thinking of. I was going to include a lot that are on your lists. Great lists.

Maximus
05-10-2009, 01:16 AM
I was going to post a list and it would have included Teena Marie, I'm assuming it's the same one you are thinking of. I was going to include a lot that are on your lists. Great lists.

Yes... Teena Marie... What a voice on her!!!! Rick James found a Gem in her!

Cito Pelon
05-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Gladys Knight
Paul Simon
Christine McVeigh
Grace Slick
John Lodge - Moody Blues, right?

Cito Pelon
05-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Al Green
Staple Singers
Pointer Sisters

BroncoMan4ever
05-10-2009, 01:46 AM
I really think when it comes to all time greatest, going back to the birth of recorded music, Hetfield falls way short. You are right though for his band, heavy rock, his voice is perfect. All time voice though? I don't think so.

and i feel he is one of if not the best vocalist ever in Metal, which in my opinion puts him really high up on the list for all-around vocalists and worthy of a top 10 listing

TDmvp
05-10-2009, 01:47 AM
This is that style vs technical talent debate again hehe ...

Boobs McGee
05-10-2009, 02:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFo1pu4q7Q&feature=related

probly gonna have this song at my wedding someday, she is unbelievable

watermock
05-10-2009, 02:41 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/87yq372R4Ts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/87yq372R4Ts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cutthemdown
05-10-2009, 02:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFo1pu4q7Q&feature=related

probly gonna have this song at my wedding someday, she is unbelievable

Hopefully you are a woman. I can't imagine a dude already having his wedding song picked out before hand.

Boobs McGee
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Hopefully you are a woman. I can't imagine a dude already having his wedding song picked out before hand.

Lol I guess that's what happens when you spend the majority of your upbringing with your mom and 4 sisters lol.

Hate on brother, doesnt' bother me a bit ;)

Sir Mawn
05-10-2009, 11:40 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDIJ0Yvpno4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDIJ0Yvpno4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Pick Six
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
James Hetfield...

You may not think that Hetfield is a great singer, but he has a recognizable voice. A person could hear a Metallica song and instantly recognize it as a Metallica song. Geddy Lee is the same way. A person could easily tell a Rush song by the vocals.

Sir Mawn
05-10-2009, 01:22 PM
So yes... Tom Waits should definitely be considered, Freddie Mercury, Jeff Buckley, John Fogerty.....

sisterhellfyre
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM
You may not think that Hetfield is a great singer, but he has a recognizable voice. A person could hear a Metallica song and instantly recognize it as a Metallica song.

IMHO, I'll take Bruce Dickinson over James Hetfield any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Bruce's range isn't quite what it was 20 years ago, but after seeing Iron Maiden live last summer, Bruce has definitely still got it.

Plus Bruce is a big-jet airline pilot when Maiden isn't actively working together: he flies 757s for a British airline. On the last tour, Bruce was the lead pilot for Ed Force One. How cool is that?

ohiobronco2
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
No love for Nat King Cole

C130Herkload
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Paul Rogers.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:19 PM
1) Jim Morrison

2) Robert Plant
3) Rodger Daultry
4) David Gilmour
5) Anthony Kiedis
6) Butch Walker
7) Roy Orbeson
8) Eric Burton
9) Neil Young
10) Elvis Costello

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Agree. He's a sensational singer and guitarist. As brilliant a songwriter as Roger Waters is, he made a serious miscalculation leaving Pink Floyd and thinking the band would disband. Gilmour is the sound of Pink Floyd.

Waters was a brilliant lyric writer. His songwriting was ass. That's where Gilmour and Wright excelled.

Roger Waters is a douchebag.

Sir Mawn
05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Howlin' Wolf?

cutthemdown
05-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Lol I guess that's what happens when you spend the majority of your upbringing with your mom and 4 sisters lol.

Hate on brother, doesnt' bother me a bit ;)

Naw no hate......Besides for some reason I can't turn off Little House on the Prarie when it comes on. It reminds me of when me Grandma and Grandpa were alive and used to babysit me. They loved that show.

It's ok to be in touch with your female side brother!!!! Rock on!!!! or should I say Soft Rock on!!!!!!!!

KeepJay
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Marvin Gaye, Ben E. King, Smoky Robinson, beautiful and powerful voices. Some of my favorites.

Agreed, John Fogerty can also be put up there in the 'powerful' list
dudes a stud.

crawdad
05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Shaun Murphy - Little Feat
Grace Slick
Marty Balin
Barbra Streisand
Patty Loveless

fido
05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
no mention of steve perry anywhere?

crawdad
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Of course, Steve Perry is on several lists. Journey is a great band and Steve is a good singer

Mogulseeker
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
http://thinksmart.typepad.com/good_morning_thinkers/william_hung.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Ann Wilson
Steve Perry
Greg Allman
Sam Cooke
Layne Staley
Buddy Guy
Janis Joplin
Pat Benatar
Robert Plant
Waylon Jennings

cutthemdown
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
It's only a top 10, not making it doesn't mean people think Steve Perry stinks, only not top 10 all time.

Better would be top 10 of each genre.

top 10 jazz
top 10 metal
top 10 rock
top 10 soul/R&B
top 10 blues
top 10 opera etc.
top 10 pop rock
top 10 country

you can classify till your head falls off

The reason Ray Charles on my list is because he was great country singer, great soul singer, great blues singer, pretty good jazz singer. His voice was just perfect IMO.

Otis Redding I put down because have you ever heard a thicker toned better sounding voice then Otis?

Aretha, well she should be on everyones list because of her shear ability and huge pipes.

Ratboy
05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
It's all my opinion, I know these aren't the best out there, but it's what I like the most.

Jesse Lacey (Brand New)
Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley)
Charlotte (Charlotte Sometimes)
Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional)
Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie)

Houshyamama
05-11-2009, 11:59 PM
(Has a slant towards my music preference)

1. Elvis Presley
2. MJKeenan (if you add lyric writing ability, he's number one easily above Lennon/McCartney imo)
3. Phil Collins, you know you love him, ******s
4. Phil Anselmo
5. Chris Cornell
6. Howard Jones
7. Ozzy (Unique points out the balls and sounds great live)
8. Cristina Scabbia
9. David Draiman
10. Llayne Staley

Had a roommate in college who's name was Phil Collins.

We called him Phil Collins the Student.