PDA

View Full Version : ª Your Top Ten Film's Of the 90's ª

Punisher
05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Here's Roger Ebert's Top Ten
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLAxSQU_9ws&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLAxSQU_9ws&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

My top ten Film's of the 90s http://thm-a02.yimg.com/image/6edb5e45fb7abd72
10 - Les Miserable (1998)
9 - The Ice Storm (1997)
8 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
7 - The Usual Suspects (1995)
6 - Kids (1995)
5 - Shawshank Redemption (1994)
4 - Pulp Fiction (1994)
3 - Fargo (1996)
2 - Titanic (1997)
1 -Tie American Beauty (1999) Schindler's List (1993)

For a Bonus Here's my Top Five Worst Film's of the 90s :thumbsdow :flush:
5 - North (1994)
4 - Fire Down Below (1997)
3 - Batman & Robin (1997)
2 - Super Mario Bothers (1993)
1 - Armageddon (1998)
Name your Top Five Worst if You want

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
My top 5 in no particular order:

Usual Suspects, Gladiator, Braveheart, Supertroopers, Dirty Work

BroncoBuff
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
American Beauty
The Player
Wonder Boys
Shawshank Redemption
Seven
The Spanish Prisoner
L.A. Confidential
Nobody's Fool (Paul Newman one)
The Fugitive
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Eyes
The Salton Sea
Pleasantville
The Paper

And my #1 90s movie: Lone Star

:thanku:

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Usual Suspects-1995
Se7en-1995
Saving Private Ryan-1998
Resevoir Dogs-1992
The Big Lebowski-1998
Groundhog Day-1993
Twelve Monkeys-1996
Goodfellas-1990
Silence of the Lambs-1991

not in any order. IMO hard to decide what I think is best, but I thought those movies were the best of the 90's

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Usual Suspects IMO a masterpiece. How often are you caught that unaware of the plot twist at the end. Shawshank had a good twist at the end but not as good as Usual Suspects.

Archer81
05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
My top 10
10: Braveheart
9: Blackhawk Down
8. Fargo
7. Pulp Fiction
6. The Matrix
5. Fight Club
4. LA Confidential
3. Silence of the Lambs
2. Groundhog Day
1. Last of the Mohicans

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
My top 10
8. Fargo
7. Pulp Fiction
6. The Matrix
5. Fight Club
4. LA Confidential
3. Silence of the Lambs
2. Groundhog Day
1. Last of the Mohicans

Those ones were almost on my list, and really could be exchanged for any of mine, they are great movies.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Usual Suspects-1995
Se7en-1995
Saving Private Ryan-1998
Resevoir Dogs-1992
The Big Lebowski-1998
Groundhog Day-1993
Twelve Monkeys-1996
Goodfellas-1990
Silence of the Lambs-1991

not in any order. IMO hard to decide what I think is best, but I thought those movies were the best of the 90's
Twelve Monkeys is a really Great Film not Movie, Film the way Bruce Willis Character is trap in time is great.I love the way his psychiatrist goes insane and Falls in love with him.Check out La Jetée it's a short film that inspired the movie 12 Monkeys.
I'll talk about the little kid in the ending but i don't want to spoil the movie for whoever didn't watch it

Archer81
05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Those ones were almost on my list, and really could be exchanged for any of mine, they are great movies.

This list honestly should be a top 20, because I have more then the 10 I put down. They are also not in any particular order. Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Delores Claiborne and Pleasantville are great flicks and are on my list too.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:50 PM
This list honestly should be a top 20, because I have more then the 10 I put down. They are also not in any particular order. Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Delores Claiborne and Pleasantville are great flicks and are on my list too.

This thread made me realize some really good films were made in the 90's

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Usual Suspects IMO a masterpiece. How often are you caught that unaware of the plot twist at the end. Shawshank had a good twist at the end but not as good as Usual Suspects.

Plot twist was solid, but it's just a fantastic film from start to finish really. It's one that I can NEVER get sick of watching

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Twelve Monkeys is a really Great Film not Movie, Film the way Bruce Willis Character is trap in time is great.I love the way his psychiatrist goes insane and Falls in love with him.Check out La Jetée it's a short film that inspired the movie 12 Monkeys.
I'll talk about the little kid in the ending but i don't want to spoil the movie for whoever didn't watch it

I will check out when I get a chance.

In 12 monkeys i really felt the anguish of Bruce Willis character. He did a great job in that film of subtly using facial expressions and mannerisms to convey the monotony his existence.

I also felt the scenes of the future were quite good and really made an impression of life with no people on the surface, without going overboard like some movies do.

Rohirrim
05-09-2009, 02:55 PM
No mention of The Sixth Sense or American Beauty? The two best films of that decade? Ebert is a clown. I always liked Gene Siskel better. ;D

Oh, now I see American Beauty. He tied it with Schindler's List which was nothing more than another Shpielberg schmaltzfetz.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Plot twist was solid, but it's just a fantastic film from start to finish really. It's one that I can NEVER get sick of watching

Me either and generally I don't fall in love with Spacey performances. This one though was great.

I also want to say that A BRONX TALE with Robert De Niro, Chazz Palminteri deserves some credit for a great 1990's movies.

Sort of an underrated film IMO.

Archer81
05-09-2009, 02:57 PM
This thread made me realize some really good films were made in the 90's

Forgot Jurrassic Park and Ghostbusters II...think II was in the 90s...

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:57 PM
No mention of The Sixth Sense or American Beauty? The two best films of that decade? Ebert is a clown. I always liked Gene Siskel better. ;D

sixth sense could make my list, I really liked that movie, and if I didn't want a comedy on my list I could easily slip it in there. Good movie, fun plot twist, pretty good kid actor is Osmet.

Talk about a kid that didn't age well, poor Osmet looks like an alien now.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Yea was a really Great plot twist which everyone liked.They're some plot twist that didn't really work in some movies,Like The Village and Unbreakable.

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Me either and generally I don't fall in love with Spacey performances. This one though was great.

I also want to say that A BRONX TALE with Robert De Niro, Chazz Palminteri deserves some credit for a great 1990's movies.

Sort of an underrated film IMO.

Really? I love Spacey!

Spacey, Norton, Downey, Gibson and Hanks... I'll see anything those guys do.

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Yea was a really Great plot twist which everyone liked.They're some plot twist that didn't really work in some movies,Like The Village and Unbreakable.

M Nyght Shamamlyanfsdasdasdf (spelling?) sucks. Sixth Sense rocked the house and the rest of them have just been boring, imo. Though I did like signs.

He's making a trilogy of this bad ass cartoon I watch with my 5 year old daughter called Avatar, so I'm excited about that, but questionable about the casting...

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh, now I see American Beauty. He tied it with Schindler's List which was nothing more than another Shpielberg schmaltzfetz.

I really couldn't pick which film i liked better so i just Tied it up.I would of Tied my number 10 with Les Miserable and Chasing Amy but I liked Les Miserable just a slight bit better.

Rohirrim
05-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Here's mine:

American Beauty
Fargo
Goodfellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Usual Suspects
Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction
The Sixth Sense
L.A. Confidential

I can't really put them in order. They are all equally great films.

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Magnolia was an awesome 90s movie too. No mention yet.

TheReverend
05-09-2009, 03:08 PM
+Tombstone

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Here's mine:

American Beauty
Fargo
Goodfellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Silence of the Lambs
Usual Suspects
Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction
The Sixth Sense
L.A. Confidential

I can't really put them in order. They are all equally great films.

I don't know about that I'll take a lot of films over Unforgiven and L.A. Confidential

Rohirrim
05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't know about that I'll take a lot of films over Unforgiven and L.A. Confidential

Not me, although I would have to find a way to squeeze Toy Story in there. That was a great film.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Not me, although I would have to find a way to squeeze Toy Story in there. That was a great film.

Yea Toy Story was a Good movie you could also squeeze The Lion King and In The name of the Father in there too :ouwknow:

BroncoBuff
05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Magnolia was an awesome 90s movie too. No mention yet.
I loved Magnolia ... right up til they started singing :oyvey:

I suppose Boogie Nights and Jurassic Park are pretty close for me, but the book JP was so much better - one of the best novels I've ever read.

Lycan
05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Everyone seems to be missing the best of all the 90's movies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles FTW!

Killericon
05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
My top 10
8. Fargo
7. Pulp Fiction
6. The Matrix
5. Fight Club
4. LA Confidential
3. Silence of the Lambs
2. Groundhog Day
1. Last of the Mohicans

Black Hawk Down(One of my favs) was made in 2001.

Archer81
05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Black Hawk Down(One of my favs) was made in 2001.

Damn. Well...it stays put. I like it.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Everyone seems to be missing the best of all the 90's movies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles FTW!

LMAO everyone Likes the Ninja Turtles but there Films where 2/Half Stars at best and Part 3 was one of the worst Films Ive Saw in my life.They could of went a different direction in part 3 with The Wrath of Krang or The Return of the Super Shredder

Lycan
05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
LMAO everyone Likes the Ninja Turtles but there Films where 2/Half Stars at best and Part 3 was one of the worst Films Ive Saw in my life.They could of went a different direction in part 3 with The Wrath of Krang or The Return of the Super Shredder

I agree on #3 but to dispute the fact that #1 and #2 are some of the greatest movies, not just of the 90's, but of all time is madness! Madness I say! Search your inner child's soul and you will find the truth.

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree on #3 but to dispute the fact that #1 and #2 are some of the greatest movies, not just of the 90's, but of all time is madness! Madness I say! Search your inner child's soul and you will find the truth.

ROFL! I love the Ninja Turtles own Season one and two of the cartoon series and Own Both of the movies but as "Great Films" I won't go that far

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Notice that peoples tastes in films is much closer then in music. Why is that because films are more like our lives and we can relate, or does music become more personal, and therefore more divergent?

Lycan
05-09-2009, 03:46 PM
ROFL! I love the Ninja Turtles own Season one and two of the cartoon series and Own Both of the movies but as "Great Films" I won't go that far

The scene in The Secret of the Ooze when they try to drug the monsters with tainted donuts makes it a great film by itself. I am beginning to think we have drastically different opinions on what makes a movie "great".

If giant talking ninja turtles feeding giant mutant animals ( snapping turtle and a wolf?) drug laced donuts isn't great than what is?

Punisher
05-09-2009, 03:53 PM
The scene in The Secret of the Ooze when they try to drug the monsters with tainted donuts makes it a great film by itself. I am beginning to think we have drastically different opinions on what makes a movie "great".

If giant talking ninja turtles feeding giant mutant animals ( snapping turtle and a wolf?) drug laced donuts isn't great than what is?

Just Listen to what you just said you think that's what makes a Good Movie.

This is what makes a great Film

-Something that Teaches you a thing about life
-Makes you feel the Characters pain
-Something you can relate too

Not giant talking ninja turtles feeding giant mutant animals,It's fun to watch don't get me wrong but it doesn't make a great film

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 04:00 PM
It can be funny and be a great film. Doesn't have to be painful or full of angst for me but a story that you can relate to is always a key ingredient.

Movies like Ninja Turtles, or even Supertroopers to me have there place but aren't great films.

To be irreverent, and also be acclaimed, I think you need to be more on the social commentary side like Southpark is. Silly and funny but with a message that rings true on society.

Lycan
05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Just Listen to what you just said you think that's what makes a Good Movie.

This is what makes a great Film

-Something that Teaches you a thing about life
-Makes you feel the Characters pain
-Something you can relate too

Not giant talking ninja turtles feeding giant mutant animals,It's fun to watch don't get me wrong but it doesn't make a great film

Nonsense, that's all your opinion. What you just described is what makes a movie great for you.

What makes a movie great for me is stuff like giant ninja turtles drugging giant mutant animals with donuts. That's my prerogative.

Miss I.
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Nonsense, that's all your opinion. What you just described is what makes a movie great for you.

What makes a movie great for me is stuff like giant ninja turtles drugging giant mutant animals with donuts. That's my prerogative.

I am going to have to concur (it is a matter of opinion), though I do think what makes a film successful is being able to capture the audience's attention and keep them engaged the whole film. Usually this means creating a semblance of a coherent story and giving the main characters enough likability or whatever so the audience wants to watch their story. Defining what makes a film sustainable over decades, in other words, timeless really requiries a story that rises above and beyond the average and one that goes beyond the time period it was made and is performed particularly well (something like Casablanca for instance is a truly classic film, while other films from that period can come across as dated...that particular story is well acted and the love story plays to a wide range...).

For the record a sampling of my favorite 90s films: (certainly not all)
Silence of the Lambs
Fargo
Groundhog Day
Shawshank Repemption
Goodfellas (though that may have been 89)
Reservoir Dogs
LA Confidential
The Insider
Usual Suspects
Fugitive
Thelma and Louise

Punisher
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM

LOL :~ohyah!: :~ohyah!: You make a good point there.

I don't even want to trash the Turtles because i love to watch them

If you think that's a great film then I could suggest Punisher Warzone,Monster vs Aliens, and there's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5 coming out in 2011 http://www.themovieinsider.com/m5152/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2/

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
1. Fight Club
2. The Matrix
3. Pulp Fiction
4. The Game
5. Magnolia (released in 1999 for academy award purposes)
6. Hard Eight
7. Braveheart
8. Groundhog Day
9. Shawshank Redemption
10. LA Confidential

LordHelmchen
05-09-2009, 04:30 PM
nobody listed Heat yet? you all have no taste , suckers ;D

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
nobody listed Heat yet? you all have no taste , suckers ;D

Overall I did not like Heat as a movie, at least not enough to put in the top ten, there were some great scenes but it was overly long and did not capture my interest.

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I loved Magnolia ... right up til they started singing :oyvey:

I suppose Boogie Nights and Jurassic Park are pretty close for me, but the book JP was so much better - one of the best novels I've ever read.

They did not start singing

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
American Beauty
The Player
Wonder Boys
Shawshank Redemption
Seven
The Spanish Prisoner
L.A. Confidential
Nobody's Fool (Paul Newman one)
The Fugitive
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Eyes
The Salton Sea
Pleasantville
The Paper

And my #1 90s movie: Lone Star

:thanku:

Salton Sea was 2002, still a great movie. Nice list

Lycan
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
LOL :~ohyah!: :~ohyah!: You make a good point there.

I don't even want to trash the Turtles because i love to watch them

If you think that's a great film then I could suggest Punisher Warzone,Monster vs Aliens, and there's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5 coming out in 2011 http://www.themovieinsider.com/m5152/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2/

I've seen those, Punisher was alright, better than the first, not great. I have no idea how well it stuck to the comic as I haven't read much of it.

Monsters Vs. Aliens was full of suck. How Seth Rogen continues to get work is beyond me.

I'm sure TMNT 5 will be good but it will probably be CGI like the last one. I long for the days of cheesy looking turtle suits.

maher_tyler
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I dont care what anyone says...Dumb and Dumber is a great movie!!

Punisher
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I've seen those, Punisher was alright, better than the first, not great. I have no idea how well it stuck to the comic as I haven't read much of it.

Monsters Vs. Aliens was full of suck. How Seth Rogan continues to get work is beyond me.

I'm sure TMNT 5 will be good but it will probably be CGI like the last one. I long for the days of cheesy looking turtle suits.

Seth Rogan I believed co wrote Super Bad,Knock Up and Pineapple Express.Which all did very well in the Box Office.

There should be no problem for him landing a job he has a great Resume

Lycan
05-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Seth Rogan I believed co wrote Super Bad,Knock Up and Pineapple Express.Which all did very well in the Box Office.

There should be no problem for him landing a job he has a great Resume

I haven't done any hard research but haven't his last 2 movies bombed?

It's not that I don't think he is successful, I just don't think he is funny.

montrose
05-09-2009, 05:39 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x141/rewriter42/SuburbanCommando.jpg

slyinky
05-09-2009, 05:42 PM
10. Boogie Nights
9. Reservoir Dogs
8. Fight Club
7. Raise the Red Lantern
6. American Beauty
5. Fargo
4. Seven
3. Magnolia
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Silence of the Lambs
All time favorite film: Mulholland Drive (2001)

maher_tyler
05-09-2009, 07:03 PM
10. Boogie Nights
9. Reservoir Dogs
8. Fight Club
7. Raise the Red Lantern
6. American Beauty
5. Fargo
4. Seven
3. Magnolia
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Silence of the Lambs
All time favorite film: Mulholland Drive (2001)

To many good ones to have an all-time fav but seriously..Dumb and Dumber never gets old..NEVER!!

"I thought the rockies were a little more rocky than this" "That John Denver is fulla **** man"

:rofl:

slyinky
05-10-2009, 05:22 AM
To many good ones to have an all-time fav but seriously..Dumb and Dumber never gets old..NEVER!!

"I thought the rockies were a little more rocky than this" "That John Denver is fulla **** man"

:rofl:
I never laughed so hard while watching a movie as I did the first time I saw Dumb and Dumber in the theater. Great movie. Other favorite comedies from the 90's: The Big Lebowski, Office Space, The Cable Guy, Groundhog Day, Election, Dazed and Confused, There's Something About Mary, South Park: Bigger, Longer..., Clerks.

55CrushEm
05-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Not quite sure how Saving Private Ryan wouldn't be on just about everyone's top 10 list.....that movie was incredible.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I never laughed so hard while watching a movie as I did the first time I saw Dumb and Dumber in the theater. Great movie. Other favorite comedies from the 90's: The Big Lebowski, Office Space, The Cable Guy, Groundhog Day, Election, Dazed and Confused, There's Something About Mary, South Park: Bigger, Longer..., Clerks.

Good list...but there has to be room for the original Ace Ventura. That was pretty awesome. Rushmore too..i think that was in 98 or 99 right?

slyinky
05-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Just for the hell of it (and because I'm bored) my top ten films:

Of the 80's
10. Escape from New York
9. Stand By Me
8. The Elephant Man
7. The Breakfast Club
6. The Thing
5. Full Metal Jacket
4. The Princess Bride
3. The Shining
2. Fast times at Ridgemont High
1. Blade Runner

Of the 2000's
10. No Country for Old Men
9. Amores Perros
8. The Others
7. Babel
6. Little Children
5. There Will Be Blood
4. A Tale of Two Sisters
3. Memento
2. Pan's Labyrinth
1. Mulholland Drive

I compiled the lists from my Criticker ratings. Pretty cool web site: http://www.criticker.com/

slyinky
05-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Good list...but there has to be room for the original Ace Ventura. That was pretty awesome. Rushmore too..i think that was in 98 or 99 right?
I forgot about Ace Ventura, good call. I enjoy Wes Anderson movies but not enough to see them more than once. I can see where people would be big fans as they are very well written and produced, they're just not quite my taste.

Northman
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
1. Tombstone
2. The Crow
3. Ace Ventura
4. The Game
5. Office Space
6. Usual Suspects
7. Clerks
8. American History X
9. The Negotiator
10. 2 Days in the Valley

BroncoBuff
05-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Salton Sea was 2002, still a great movie. Nice list
My mistake, thanks .... and 'Angel Eyes' was 2001.

BTW, I put together a fascinating (if I do say so myself) comparison of strikingly coincidental similarities of two characters played by Shirley Knight, in the back-to-back films 'Angel Eyes' and 'Salton Sea.' If anybody knows both films and wants to hear it, it is a spooky comparison.

They did not start singing

We're talking about Magnolia, right?

RunSilentRunDeep
05-10-2009, 01:42 PM
It may not have been a great movie, but Office Space needs to be mentioned. How a movie could be so absurd but still ring true to most everyone is amazing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v90q0ydxMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v90q0ydxMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

R8R H8R
05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll try to put this in order, but really, they are all good:

10. Groundhog Day
9. American History X
8. Shawshank Redemption
7. Toy Story- Put Pixar on the map
6. Fargo- my introduction to the Cohen Brothers
5. Sixth Sense
4. Pulp Fiction
3. Jurassic Park
2. Schindlers List- one of the most powerful films ever made.
1. Silence of the Lambs - one of the creepiest movies since Exorcist, imo.

And an honorable mention goes to a movie that maybe only I saw: "And God Spoke". A mockumentary much like Spinal Tap. All the hippies on the mane will appreciate the interview with the actor that played God; hillarious and classic.

Popps
05-10-2009, 03:13 PM
No order...

-Usual Suspects
-American Beauty
-Goodfellas
-Glengarry Glen Ross
-Fresh
-Pulp Fiction
-Waiting for Guffman
-Reservoir Dogs
-Forrest Gump
-12 Monkeys

I threw 12 Monkeys in there as a wild-card. Probably not a top 10 movie of the 90s, but underrated and one you should check out if you like sci-fi, though it's NOT full-on sci-fi, it's more sci-fi infused. A lot of people didn't care for it, but I thought it was a great flick.

R8R H8R
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
No order...

-Usual Suspects
-American Beauty
-Goodfellas
-Glengarry Glen Ross
-Fresh
-Pulp Fiction
-Waiting for Guffman
-Reservoir Dogs
-Forrest Gump
-12 Monkeys

I forgot about those two. Definately, Forrest Gump belongs in my top ten, but I dunno which one of my ten to bump.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh my.

In no particular order:

Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Dances with Wolves
Shindler's List
Clerks(had to)
American History X

Rock Chalk
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
****, lots of favorites have been mentioned but there were two notables that i didnt see mentioned: Heat and A Time To Kill.

BroncoBuff
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
****, lots of favorites have been mentioned but there were two notables that i didnt see mentioned: Heat and A Time To Kill.
Heat, definitely ... it should have got a few votes. I dunno about Matthew McConaughey though.

I would have expected to see at least one mention of Contact ... ???

Shawshank's probably the winner ... it's on at least half the lists.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Matthew McConaughey ruins every movie he touches. Rarely is there someone I haven't met that I wish a horrid fate to, but he's one of them.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
This list will be met with flames, but I was anywhere from 10 to 20 years old when some of them came out. Some of you probably can't appreciate what it's like to see Jurassic Park when you're 12. It blows your frickin' mind. When you're 16 and aren't allowed to go on dates, Independence Day is the highlight of your month. OH NO YOU DID NOT SHOOT THAT GREEN **** AT ME!

In no particular order:

1. Star Trek VI (my first big-screen ST experience)
2. Jurassic Park (Dinosaurs doing stuff. I was 12. Enuff said.)
3. Independence Day (Mind blowing. Kindled the young patriot within)
4. Star Wars Episode I (Nerdstock)
5. The Matrix (This one actually pissed me off because retards said it was going to be "The New Star Wars. pfft.)
6. DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp (I was 9, OK?)
7. Major League II (For some reason it awoke the baseball fan in me)
8. Rudy (I cried every time)
9. Searching for Bobby Fischer (I was in the chess club in Jr High)
10. Batman Returns (I probably bought more merchandise from this movie than any other movie outside the SW trilogy.)

Popps
05-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Someone did mention Heat.

It's on AMC right now, literally.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
This list will be met with flames, but I was anywhere from 10 to 20 years old when some of them came out. Some of you probably can't appreciate what it's like to see Jurassic Park when you're 12. It blows your frickin' mind. When you're 16 and aren't allowed to go on dates, Independence Day is the highlight of your month. OH NO YOU DID NOT SHOOT THAT GREEN **** AT ME!

In no particular order:

5. The Matrix (This one actually pissed me off because retards said it was going to be "The New Star Wars. pfft.)
10. Batman Returns (I probably bought more merchandise from this movie than any other movie outside the SW trilogy.)

Still play chess?

Edit: Patriot? Aren't you a foreigner transplant?

05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Online.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Online.

I don't play regularly, but I'd be down to play you some time. You don't have some super rating, do you?

05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I suck at chess to be honest.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I suck at chess to be honest.

There's less than 10 people on the planet that don't suck. E-mail me if you want to play sometime.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Not quite sure how Saving Private Ryan wouldn't be on just about everyone's top 10 list.....that movie was incredible.

The opening scene was incredible. The rest kind of blew.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Bob, the Star Wars prequels sucked.

05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Bob, the Star Wars prequels sucked.

I know. They still made me go bat**** crazy.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I know. They still made me go bat**** crazy.

Saw them all opening day, was only marginally impressed with Ep. III. The Phantom Menace was interesting because it was the first one in 20 years, but really, it blew.

Inkana7
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM
And we don't talk about Episode II.

slyinky
05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Surprised that Leon: The Professional hasn't been mentioned.

One of my favorite actors, Gary Oldman:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrTsuvykUZk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrTsuvykUZk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Saw them all opening day, was only marginally impressed with Ep. III. The Phantom Menace was interesting because it was the first one in 20 years, but really, it blew.

Yeah it was like getting high though, man. It was ****ing Star Wars. I didn't care to start tearing them apart until well after the fact. I was 18 and I saw that stupid movie at least 10 times that summer in the mall I worked at.

KCStud
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
This is easy. Shawshank Redemption is by far the best movie of the 90's. The acting and storyline was simply top notch. Anybody wanna give the 2000's top 10 a shot?

UberBroncoMan
05-11-2009, 12:00 AM

Those aren't exactly all of the 90's :P

spdirty
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
If you don't have Braveheart as your number 1, thats just disgraceful. If you dont have it in your top 10, time to turn in your man card.

Miss I.
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM

In no particular order:

I will try not to totally trash this list, but I got to ask you Bob, I know you were a kid in the 90s but don't you ever rent older films or anything? I mean some of my favorite films were made in 1930s and 40s and while I am older then you I am not that old. The point of the thread was the best films of the 90s, not just whatever I happened to watch during the 90s. I mean at 12 I was watching films probably beyond my years like "Citizen Kane" which I loved because I thought the film angles were interesting and Orson Welles was a fascinating character. The stuff theatrical wise that was cool to me at 12 was probably like Back to the Future which I seem to recall coming out sometime around then and Ferris Bueller's Day off and the Breakfast Club. Those of course were 80s films. And as for Jurassic Park, it was a very entertaining films, one of Spielbergs better blockbusters, sort of dyno version of Jaws with the emphasis on action rather then suspense I think. And as far as the duck movie you put up, I get it, I mean I loved Goonies and still do to this day and ET (yes I have a fondness for Spielberg who I think generally makes entertaining films, though not always factually accurate and a bit sentimental). Gonna have to disagree about any Star Wars films post Return of the Jedi (hated all the prequels) and never been much into Star Trek (did ejoy the TNG one with the Borg though, whichever one that is). None of the films would make my top 10 of the 90s, but some of them were pretty entertaining. In the end its all subjective, though if you ever tell me Gigli or Catwoman is a top film, I will definitely stop talking film with ya. Because those are crimes against film.

Northman
05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Surprised that Leon: The Professional hasn't been mentioned.

One of my favorite actors, Gary Oldman:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrTsuvykUZk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrTsuvykUZk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Came real close on my list.

Northman
05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
If you don't have Braveheart as your number 1, thats just disgraceful. If you dont have it in your top 10, time to turn in your man card.

Road Warrior > Braveheart

05-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Because those are crimes against film.

When I was 15 they were great. And that's my criteria for "the 90s." The films I personally experienced in the 90's. The ones that entertained me the most.

I could sit here and cherry pick from some homogenized top 50 list that someone else put together but it wouldn't feel right.

I should probably put First Contact up there, too. We went with some Jehovah's Witness friends. One of the guys knew I was NUTS for Star Trek. When the theme started up he started shaking my chair from behind. I smiled. Good memory.

UberBroncoMan
05-11-2009, 03:03 AM
And we don't talk about Episode II.

George Lucas made it clear that the Star Wars prequels were nothing more than a money making venture. He actually stated that he invested a **** ton into the 1st then used those profits for the 2nd and then those for the 3rd.

He just wanted more money and felt it was time to milk the franchise on the big screen again.

George Lucas is a train wreck of exactly what you'd hope to not be when it comes to franchise control. Yeah he "invented" Star Wars, but what most people don't realize is that most of the things we associate with the series were not invented by him (droid looks, light saber sounds/looks, darth vader sound/look). He just wrote a good spin on the infamous heroes journey. Now I'm taking nothing away from his universe, because he did the 1st film (direction wise) on his own and in my opinion created a masterpiece that I still love watching to this day. He also made some brilliant casting calls.

But he was smart to hand over the directing duties over after A New Hope. After the abomination that was Episode I, he should have done the same but instead decided to tarnish the entire prequel saga.

I still grind my teeth during Episode III when Palpatine becomes "Sideous" and starts talking in a low pitch voice and then switches back to his normal vocal pitch for the rest of the movie. Seriously WTF? It was just ****ing stupid and in the DVD commentary Lucas thought it was a neat addition he added in. The man is just out of touch with reality.

Just look at what happened with Indiana Jones 4. The reason it took so long to get made is because Speilberg and Lucas were fighting over the content (Spielberg believing some of it to be too ludicrous for an Indy film). But in the end $$$ got the project going. Hence why South Park RAILED both of them during an ENTIRE EPISODE (for the 2nd time). (spoiler for Indy 4)... and making Mud... the ****ing son of Indy??? How ****ing little imagination does he have. He already made a film where two characters didn't know they were brother and sister, and where the main villain was their dad.

Star Wars needed the equivalent of what we all got with Star Trek, which was an action packed film with segments of comedy all over the place... an exact quality which made the original trilogy so successful (not to mention some at the time, great plot twists).

My theory is if you make a product that a massive fanbase that pours millions upon millions into your pocket, you have a responsibility to them to create an amazing product... not some **** hole vision that you're too egotistical to let go.

Knights of the Old Republic (a video game) had a story that kicked the living piss out of the Prequels. Hell the Darth Bane novels raped the prequels too.

Anyway that's my rant on the on the Prequels/Indy4.

On a side note (aside from the Star Wars Opera) a live action TV show is coming out soon in which George is writing the entire first Season.

cutthemdown
05-11-2009, 03:34 AM
I didn't really think that last 2 of the prequel were that bad. I just figured they fell short of expectations because I was 8 yrs old when I saw the first Star Wars. We waited forever for Empire Strikes back, it seemed like an eternity. Nothing can compare to being a kid when it comes to a movie like Star Wars.

IMO Lucas ruined it because he waited too long, it had lost some of its magic.

BroncoBuff
05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I forgot one, a great one: Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc

maher_tyler
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas!!

Mediator12
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
A few that I did not see mentioned that should be:

Good Will Hunting

Philadelphia

Hunt for the Red October

My ten would be:

Unforgiven
Heat
Braveheart
The Usual Suspects
The Professional
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan
Goodfellas
Good Will Hunting
The Shawshank Redemption

azbroncfan
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I never understood the whole hard on for the Big Lebowski. I just watched it again after all the talk about what a great movie it was and I still don't think it was that great.

Kid A
05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
No particular order. I could probably swap all these out for ten others, but this is what I've got right now.

Magnolia
Thin Red Line
Being John Malkovich
After Life
Truman Show
Fargo
Chungking Express
Before Sunrise
Unforgiven
Raise the Red Lantern

maher_tyler
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mvq-Sv_kCvc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mvq-Sv_kCvc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

colonelbeef
05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
any list without goodfellas is incomplete

MagicHef
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Life Is Beautiful

ZONA
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
MY TOP 10

Saving Private Ryan
Silence of the Lambs
Jurrasic Park