PDA

View Full Version : STAR TREK was fantastic

goldengopher1976
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I consider myself something of an amateur critic and normally don't leave theaters feeling excited about movies (or, at least, the event is rare). However, having just watched Star Trek, I can say it happened today.

I grew up watching both the original and next generation so I experienced a little nostalgia in watching and can recognize that I wasn't watching as critically as I might normally. But the acting was good, the special effects were fantastic, the story was well developed, and there were just enough nods to the original for it to be satisfying without being overdone. Casting was good as well.

So anyway. All that being said. I loved it and will see it again.

Northman
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Im going tomorrow night to see this. Its getting a lot of good pub.

Tombstone RJ
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
The big summer flicks can't get here fast enough... I went and saw Sunshine Cleaning with a friend this last weekend... yah it's that bad.

OBF1
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
This will be a Blu Ray purchase for sure.

Beantown Bronco
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice. I'm hearing and reading nothing but good things.

Going to the Imax showing tomorrow with my dad and my son. Lock up the women. 3 generations of Bean men will be on the prowl.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I saw it a few weeks ago and though its really not my type of movie at all, i wasnt bored. So i guess that says something.

slyinky
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02LgdXVkXgM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02LgdXVkXgM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncofan7
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
just took a half day @ the PBM and took my old man and saw it--GREAT movie....and I am not a 'trekkie' by any means.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-08-2009, 01:57 PM
It was good. Not great. It had issues. It's a good launching platform. Mostly they need to sloooow dooooown.

Pick Six
05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I hope it's good. In the last couple of years, I've been disappointed with summer movies I had been waiting to see. Maybe I just need to lower my expectations going in so I can enjoy the movie.

Beantown Bronco
05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Mostly they need to sloooow dooooown.

I think you're just repeating what the people beside you were saying as they watched you eating the double buttered extra large popcorn and jumbo box of goobers.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I thought it was interesting to see how they handled time travel as opposed to how Lost is doing it this season (same creative team). Pretty different, obviously simpler in Trek. It's popcorn fun though...dont expect to be changed on any emotional level.

socalorado
05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
bobo
broncoman7 &
beantown

http://api.ning.com/files/pKsOzNacOyOpdwV3v5cfG2NyLPiSQHKPLCB9o98Smw0_/trekkie_inspirational.jpg

socalorado
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I think you're just repeating what the people beside you were saying as they watched you eating the double buttered extra large popcorn and jumbo box of goobers.

http://www.tlchicken.com/db_images/6_1_trekkie.jpg

Kaylore
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm going tonight. :wiggle:

Chris
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I loved it. Fun movie. Great visuals...even better dialogue. Some surprises in there.

Taco John
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02LgdXVkXgM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02LgdXVkXgM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's hilarious!

Pseudofool
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
If character and moral quandary are substituted with action and glitz. I for one will be disappointed.

Tombstone RJ
05-08-2009, 06:14 PM
If character and moral quandary are substituted with action and glitz. I for one will be disappointed.

Prepare to be disappointed!

BoiseBluTurf
05-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I consider myself something of an amateur critic and normally don't leave theaters feeling excited about movies (or, at least, the event is rare). However, having just watched Star Trek, I can say it happened today.

I grew up watching both the original and next generation so I experienced a little nostalgia in watching and can recognize that I wasn't watching as critically as I might normally. But the acting was good, the special effects were fantastic, the story was well developed, and there were just enough nods to the original for it to be satisfying without being overdone. Casting was good as well.

Went this afternoon... I grew up watching the origional and I was blown away by how well this film was done. They must have really studied the characters becuse the younger version characters in the movie were VERY VERY believable! This was the best movie I have seen in years! Loved it... I walked out a little torn... didn't know if I was more excited about the movie I just saw... or the fact that there were going to be more to come with this cast and story line! Great stuff!

TheReverend
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Nice. I'm hearing and reading nothing but good things.

Going to the Imax showing tomorrow with my dad and my son. Lock up the women. 3 generations of Bean men will be on the prowl.

I'm sure panties will drop at a whim...

Punisher
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I read great Reviews about the movie might take a Looksey,the trailer was kind of eye candy too.

loborugger
05-08-2009, 07:14 PM

LOL

Why is that stuff like this just never gets old?

Kaylore
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
It was very good! The cast is very strong, believable and most of all, likable. The story is good and it's very cool to see guys like Christopher Pike make an appearance. The battle scenes are better and they finally ditched the idea of a "down" in space, which is something that has always aggravated me about star Trek; The imaginary Z axis.

If you like sci fan action films then it's a good flick. You don't have to like star trek to enjoy it. There is enough there for both fan and non-fan's alike.

Northman
05-08-2009, 08:13 PM
It was very good! The cast is very strong, believable and most of all, likable. The story is good and it's very cool to see guys like Christopher Pike make an appearance. The battle scenes are better and they finally ditched the idea of a "down" in space, which is something that has always aggravated me about star Trek; The imaginary Z axis.

If you like sci fan action films then it's a good flick. You don't have to like star trek to enjoy it. There is enough there for both fan and non-fan's alike.

I was kind of curious, how was Karl Urban as McCoy?

Kaylore
05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I was kind of curious, how was Karl Urban as McCoy?

Very good. There are pieces of Kelley's Bones, but he makes it his own. They all do. That's the best thing about the movie. The actors are able to bring out the characteristics that made the characters memorable and supplement with their own acting abilities.

And personally these actors are better than the ones who were on TV in the sixties, so I preferred the new performances.

I really hope they do a Khan movie with young Khan. :pray:

TheReverend
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Very good. There are pieces of Kelley's Bones, but he makes it his own. They all do. That's the best thing about the movie. The actors are able to bring out the characteristics that made the characters memorable and supplement with their own acting abilities.

And personally these actors are better than the ones who were on TV in the sixties, so I preferred the new performances.

Didn't want to spoil it for you... but I've already been cast as a very caucasian version of young ricardo montalban

watermock
05-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I hope they have computers that do more than blink and have a sexy voice.

Northman
05-08-2009, 08:31 PM

That would be pretty cool.

Gort
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
it's a watchable and entertaining movie, but...

...the plot is absurd.

if you think even for a moment about the plot, you'll understand the ridiculous premise on which the whole movie depends. i can't explain the problem because it's a major spoiler.

if you haven't seen the movie, then stop reading this post right now. what's written below may be a spoiler if you are able to read between the lines.

for those who've seen it... think for a moment about the primary motivation of the villain... now i ask this question. if i see a plate teetering on the edge of a table and i can see that it is definitely going to fall and break, would it be better for me to go and grab the plate and prevent it from falling in the first place, or wait for it to fall and break and then find somebody to blame for putting the plate on the edge of the table where it could fall and break?

do you see how that relates to the fundamental premise of the plot?

Jesterhole
05-08-2009, 09:25 PM
One of the best movies I have seen in the theater since....The Matrix? Couldn't have asked for more...it was funny, exciting, engrossing. I'm not the world's biggest Trek fan...I liked a few of the movies, and watched The Next Generation a decent amount, but I still fell in love with the movie today when I saw it. Everyone, even people not interested in the series, should go see this. This is incredible stuff.

Houshyamama
05-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Awesome. Four thumbs up

05-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Man, I had water. The kid next to me had nachos, a hot dog, popcorn, and a soda. He'll probably be a tub when he hits puberty. The guy on my left had a pizza. It was pretty tough sitting there but I don't eat movie theater food anymore. Instead I spent $20 in quarters on the Aliens LV-426 Arcade game. Hilarious!

Chris
05-09-2009, 12:13 AM

...the plot is absurd.

if you think even for a moment about the plot, you'll understand the ridiculous premise on which the whole movie depends. i can't explain the problem because it's a major spoiler.

if you haven't seen the movie, then stop reading this post right now. what's written below may be a spoiler if you are able to read between the lines.

for those who've seen it... think for a moment about the primary motivation of the villain... now i ask this question. if i see a plate teetering on the edge of a table and i can see that it is definitely going to fall and break, would it be better for me to go and grab the plate and prevent it from falling in the first place, or wait for it to fall and break and then find somebody to blame for putting the plate on the edge of the table where it could fall and break?

spoiler alert -they did not have control over where they went john. the black hole was random

Archer81
05-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Man, I had water. The kid next to me had nachos, a hot dog, popcorn, and a soda. He'll probably be a tub when he hits puberty. The guy on my left had a pizza. It was pretty tough sitting there but I don't eat movie theater food anymore. Instead I spent $20 in quarters on the Aliens LV-426 Arcade game. Hilarious!

Usually a good lie has a kernel of truth. So what you did was eat the kid with all the junkfood, and in horror the man on your other side freaked and dropped the pizza, which was your goal in the first place. Its ok Bob, we understand...

:Broncos:

Gort
05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
spoiler alert -they did not have control over where they went john. the black hole was random

spoiler alert - the villain only needed to speak to the young spock and explain the problem so that the older spock could fix his mistake in the future and avoid the problem in the first place. instead, they chose a different option which ensures that the problem in the future will occur again.

orangeatheist
05-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Saw it Thursday night and I'm a moderate Trekkie. Don't don the costumes and don't have a Klingon dictionary, but I loved the shows and other movies.

I only have one line to say about this new incarnation of the Starship Enterprise:

"I like this ship! It's exciting!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kaylore
05-09-2009, 10:31 AM

...the plot is absurd.

****SPOILER - DO NOT READ****
I had problems with the plot too, but not that. I don't recall Nero saying he could do anything to stop the Nova. I think he expected Spock to save the planet and when he didn't he wanted revenge thinking he "allowed" Nero's world to be destroyed.

Houshyamama
05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
spoiler alert - the villain only needed to speak to the young spock and explain the problem so that the older spock could fix his mistake in the future and avoid the problem in the first place. instead, they chose a different option which ensures that the problem in the future will occur again.

SPOILER ALERT

It won't happen again in the future. The older Spock is still around and will make sure the younger Spock prevents Romulus from being destroyed by the super nova in the future. Problem solved. Not saying there weren't plot holes, but I don't think that's one of them.

Houshyamama
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I only have one line to say about this new incarnation of the Starship Enterprise:

"I like this ship! It's exciting!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ha, the whole theater busted up laughing after that line.

Br0nc0Buster
05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I saw it and liked it
I have never seen a Star Trek movie before and didnt really know anything about the series

chickennob2
05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Possible Spoiler Alert

"As my customary farewell would seem oddly self serving, I will simply say... good luck"

Greatness. We were all cracking up.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:28 PM

Wow who could match Ricardo's Khan?

Wrath of Khan was by far the best trek movie ever. In fact it's one of my favorite takes place in space movies ever.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I saw it and liked it
I have never seen a Star Trek movie before and didnt really know anything about the series

This tells me that the movie will be huge. If non trek fans are into it it's going to be a huge huge blockbuster.

Which is great for trekies because money means more and more movies and TV series maybe even again.

jhat01
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I saw it and liked it

I saw it this morning...I guess I have some general knowledge about the franchise, but not much. I was entertained for sure, great flick!

Kaylore
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Wrath of Khan was by far the best trek movie ever. In fact it's one of my favorite takes place in space movies ever.

You could say the same things about Kirk, Spock, McCoy. They all did remarkably well in filling in the old shoes.

I wanted Faran Tahir

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/24/images/thumb/8/80/FaranTahir.jpg/230px-FaranTahir.jpg

But he was in this one, so they'll have to pick someone else. Maybe Ian McShane.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/channelsurfing/uploaded_images/IanMcShane_kings-thumb-500x368-761779.jpg

Harvitz81
05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I saw it last night too and absolutely loved it. The small holes in the plot didn't really bother me. I think they did a really good job on the character development and all the actors were really believable. I'm in no way a trekkie, but I have seen all the movies. I left this one wanting to go back again to see it in the theater. This hasn't happened to me in a movie for awhile (granted the last movie I saw in the theater was Indiana Jones - yuck...).

Anyway, GREAT movie and I will see it again and will own it on DVD when it comes out. I look forward to any sequels they will make in the future.

I think even non trek fans will thoroughly enjoy this flick and I'm really interested to see the box office numbers come Monday.

cutthemdown
05-09-2009, 04:38 PM
You could say the same things about Kirk, Spock, McCoy. They all did remarkably well in filling in the old shoes.

I wanted Faran Tahir

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/24/images/thumb/8/80/FaranTahir.jpg/230px-FaranTahir.jpg

But he was in this one, so they'll have to pick someone else. Maybe Ian McShane.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/channelsurfing/uploaded_images/IanMcShane_kings-thumb-500x368-761779.jpg

Whoever it is has to be really cut and in great shape. Khan as you know was genetically superior. Also think about the role of his son etc, you would need some cut up dudes but it would be cool to see who they would pick.

DeusExManning
05-09-2009, 04:40 PM

I wanted Faran Tahir

From What I have heard they will probably not redo that movie because they have not even met Kahn yet. That is far into the future of this series.

Gort
05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT

It won't happen again in the future. The older Spock is still around and will make sure the younger Spock prevents Romulus from being destroyed by the super nova in the future. Problem solved. Not saying there weren't plot holes, but I don't think that's one of them.

SPOILER

that's my point. the villian should be seeking prevention, not revenge in the past. but in the new time line, Spock is an endangered species. possibly all of the technology required to prevent Romulus from being destroyed will never exist now that Vulcan has been destroyed. it's just a badly thought out time travel plot in my opinion. the movie is still enjoyable and visually appealing though. just doesn't stand up to deep analysis afterward.

same thing is going to happen with JJ Abrams' other baby... the TV show Lost. everything on Lost is building toward a series finale (eventually) where the passengers of that Oceanic flight have gone back in time to prevent their plane from ever crashing. the final episode (my prediction... next year, or the year after?) will show them all arriving in LA, as strangers, with no crash and all those who've died back to life again. the problem with that is that means the 5 or 6 or 7 years worth of TV episodes to get to that point are all pointless because almost everything that happened ends up never happening. i hope they don't go down that path.

that's the same as the shower scene from that JR Ewing show (it was all just a dream), or Newhart's ending, or the ending of St. Elsewhere. it's cheating to wipe the slate clean of uncomfortable plot elements to start over. this is why using time travel in sci fi series has also always been considering cheating.

UberBroncoMan
05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
It was a Phenomenal film.

My only gripes were some of the stupid flaws.

SPOILER IN WHITE FONT - HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

When Spock was on the planet which appeared to be as close to Vulcan as our moon is to earth. Knowing that a black hole just consumed the planet from the inside but did nothing to the planet Spock was on.

The fact that "planet" was ice covered while Vulcan was rock without ice. The fact that a planet is that close to another planet... makes little sense for two planets to be so close with each having atmospheres complete with oxygen.

The argument with Kirk and young Spock and yada yada went on for a while after they left Vulcan space and he's marooned on a planet they would have had to gone BACK to.

Seeing light escape a black hole.

Earth in the future not having quick action response to an attack on San Fransisco to attack the drill. (same for Vulcan). Regardless of electronic communication interference, shooting a drill should have been simple.

Just nitpick **** for me basically.

Overall great film that deserves the 96% it has on Rotten Tomatoes. Had the kind of production value that the Star Wars prequels deserved and failed to obtain.

Drek
05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
spoiler
that's my point. the villian should be seeking prevention, not revenge in the past. but in the new time line, Spock is an endangered species. possibly all of the technology required to prevent Romulus from being destroyed will never exist now that Vulcan has been destroyed. it's just a badly thought out time travel plot in my opinion. the movie is still enjoyable and visually appealing though. just doesn't stand up to deep analysis afterward.

My take, having just watched the movie (excellent franchise reboot by the way, on par with Nolan's reboot of Batman):

STILL SPOILER

Nero wasn't some arch-villain. He said it himself, he chose a life of labor as the captain of a mining vessel. By "chose" I'm more willing to bet that is what he could find work doing, I doubt he was turning down offers to rule planets or conduct international diplomacy to be a miner.

So when he arrived home just in time to see his planet destroyed by a supernova he snapped. His blaming Spock and the entire federation for Romulus being in the way of a naturally occurring phenomenon is a great indication of this. He was just no longer mentally stable, and was instead hell bent on revenge. He was likely never an intelligent enough person to plan for the vagaries of time alteration, but he did find himself in the past with weapons far more advanced than anything they would face. He made use of them to exact revenge, the only thing he felt was legitimately possible at that point in time.

Nero isn't meant to be a Khan level of insidious arch-villain. He's just an average dude who watched his whole life get vaporized before his eyes despite the promises of the galactic governing body, and then suddenly found himself in the past with the power and factual knowledge needed to extract what his fractured mind then perceived as revenge.

That was my take at least.

FISH
05-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Antonio Banderas of course......:rofl:

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Antonio_Banderas/ActorsAntoni_Cohen_56666630.jpghttp://www.cinemaretro.com/uploads/ricardo.jpg

05-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Remaking old storylines with the new cast seems like a really ****ty idea if you ask me.

Please just come up with something fresh.

Gort
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Remaking old storylines with the new cast seems like a really ****ty idea if you ask me.

isn't that the story of the KC Chefs for the past 40 or so years?

the rosters change, but the outcomes of the seasons don't. same old story, just different cast every year ...only 3 post season wins in 38 years.

• Jan. 6, 2007 - AFC Wildcard - Indianapolis 23, Kansas City 8
• Jan. 11, 2004 - AFC Divisional - Indianapolis 38, Kansas City 31
• Jan. 4, 1998 - AFC Divisional - Denver 14, Kansas City 10
• Jan. 7, 1996 - AFC Divisional - Indianapolis 10, Kansas City 7
• Dec. 31, 1994 - AFC First Round - Miami 27, Kansas City 17
• Jan. 23, 1994 - AFC Championship - Buffalo 30, Kansas City 13
• Jan. 16, 1994 - AFC Divisional - Kansas City 28, Houston 20
• Jan. 8, 1994 - AFC First Round - Kansas City 27, Pittsburgh 24 OT
• Jan. 2, 1993 - AFC First Round - San Diego 17, Kansas City 0
• Jan. 5, 1992 - AFC Divisional - Buffalo 37, Kansas City 14
• Dec. 28, 1991 - AFC First Round - Kansas City 10, L.A. Raiders 6
• Jan. 5, 1991 - AFC First Round - Miami 17, Kansas City 16
• Dec. 28, 1986 - AFC Wild Card - New York 35, Kansas City 15
• Dec. 25, 1971 - AFC Divisional - Miami 27, Kansas City 24

baja
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Just got back from Star Trek, really really well done movie. ∗∗∗∗

DeusExManning
05-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I loved it. Star Trek has become too expansive and canonized. I will accept all of the flaws that make this inconsistent. As a true trekkie who has seen every show from every series and read most of the books, I loved it. This had to be rebooted and Bob you are wrong, these characters bring baggage that helped to build suspense that would be too difficult to do with all new characters. Yes the screenwriters used synchronicity but perhaps this was the universe making things right. I truly loved it.

DeusExManning
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Antonio_Banderas/ActorsAntoni_Cohen_56666630.jpghttp://www.cinemaretro.com/uploads/ricardo.jpg

I just don't see a revisit of Khan.

05-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I loved it. Star Trek has become too expansive and canonized. I will accept all of the flaws that make this inconsistent. As a true trekkie who has seen every show from every series and read most of the books, I loved it. This had to be rebooted and Bob you are wrong, these characters bring baggage that helped to build suspense that would be too difficult to do with all new characters. Yes the screenwriters used synchronicity but perhaps this was the universe making things right. I truly loved it.

You misunderstood my post.

I'm saying we don't need to rehash old storylines. No more Khan. No more ****ing Doomsday Machines or Hortas or any of that ****. Something new.

Miss I.
05-10-2009, 03:53 AM

Is it just me or does Melanie Griffith's head look strange? Antonio looks great though. As for the Kahn, I really don't want to see them remake that.

Though I did enjoy the film (some stretches in reality of course, but that is why it is science fiction). I thought Zachary Quinto was quite good and a quite a dead ringer for Spock. I liked that Uhura was actually a strong female character (I thought she kind of got the short shrift in the original series). There were also some interesting casting choices for the Spock's mom and Christopher Pike. Good cast overall. And I just love Simon Pegg, I hope he gets even more scenes in the next one.

05-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Christopher Pike should have been Ray Liotta. He looks so much like the original actor.

Also, speaking of the original actor, I had NO IDEA the same guy who played Pike in TOS was Martin Pawley in The Searchers. Two of my favorite characters!

Broncoman13
05-10-2009, 08:12 AM
The wife and I watched it last night. Neither of us were big time "Trekkies" to start with. I've see bits and pieces of the originals but I don't think I've watched any one movie the whole way through. Naturally, I've seen enough bits and pieces to know who Spock, Sulu, Ahora, Scotty, and Capt. Kirk are, but didn't know their story. The movie was great and has renewed my interest in the movies from the past. I would say the movie was extremely successful in gathering a new generation's interest going forward, as well as re-igniting some of the original gen's interest.

Like Drek said, on the level of Batman Begins.

I plan on going back and watching all of the originals as well... so, like Boob said... Bring something new. I'll go back and see Wrath of Khan, hopefully that won't be the 2nd movie in this new generation Star Trek.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I've never seen any Star Trek movies or TV shows, will I like this movie?

Miss I.
05-10-2009, 08:26 AM

well, you don't need to have seen the films or tv to get the story, though the inside references won't mean anything if you havent. On it's own its a pretty decent action-sci fi flick (though I am certain if you want to nitpick you can find all the logic breaks). It was fun and while I have a passing acquaintance with Star Trek, not a huge fan, I really enjoyed it.

05-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Yes.

Just don't think it's the best Star Trek has to offer.

If you watch this and like it, check out the other movies. Starting with Wrath of Khan. Don't even bother Star Trek: The Motion Picture. So lame they couldn't even come up with a proper title.

If you like less action and more political intrigue you'll love Star Trek VI. It's my personal favorite.

TheReverend
05-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes.

If you watch this and like it, check out the other movies. Starting with Wrath of Khan. Don't even bother Star Trek: The Motion Picture. So lame they couldn't even come up with a proper title.

If you like less action and more political intrigue you'll love Star Trek VI. It's my personal favorite.

Jesus, they made six of them?

DenverBrit
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM

It just seems like a lot more. ;D

TonyR
05-10-2009, 09:50 AM

I think you'll definitely like it, just probably not as much as people who know the characters. Seeing and "meeting" younger versions of the characters you know was a big element of the movie and also a foundation for a lot of the subtle humor.

TonyR
05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
A question for the hard core Trek fans which might be a bit of a spoiler so don't read further if you haven't seen it and plan to:

I don't recall from the TV series or previous movies any hint of romance between Spock and Uhura and yet this was an element of this movie. Was this "new" or just something I don't remember?

orangeatheist
05-10-2009, 09:55 AM

No. Including this latest installment, there are eleven.

orangeatheist
05-10-2009, 09:59 AM
A question for the hard core Trek fans which might be a bit of a spoiler so don't read further if you haven't seen it and plan to:

I don't recall from the TV series or previous movies any hint of romance between Spock and Uhura and yet this was an element of this movie. Was this "new" or just something I don't remember?

After the series ended in the late 60's there was a low-budget film made which first explored this romance. It was titled, "Behind the Green-Blood." Green-blood being a crude reference, of course, to Spock. However, the film didn't do well with a test audience and was scrapped. I heard, however, that the script was later sold and a ground-breaking film of a similar title, featuring the late Marilyn Chambers, was released.

Beantown Bronco
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Yeah, cause The Dark Knight was such an epic failure.

Kaylore
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM

No, that was new. And I liked it.

05-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, cause The Dark Knight was such an epic failure.

The Dark Knight was a completely new story that had never been told before on any screen.

It bore little resemblance to 1989's Batman or the ****ty one they made later with Two-Face.

I'm fine with re-using old characters. I'm not find with re-using old storylines. We don't need to see City on the Edge of Forever again. We need to see NEW storylines. There's no point in rehashing old ones.

05-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Six with the old cast, seven if you count Kirk and cameos from Scotty and Chekov in ST: Generations, which focuses mostly on the Next Generation crew. It's also quite good, IMO. Not epic, but greatly entertaining and a solid plot. It's full of fanboy service. And great humor. Malcom McDowell is great in it, too.

Plus, Klingon boobs.

Br0nc0Buster
05-10-2009, 11:43 AM

I liked it and it was the first Star Trek movie I have ever seen, I didnt even know anything about the series as well

Broncoman13
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM

I think you would. You sound a lot like me. Probably know some of the lines that are repeated in society (e.g. "Beam me up Scotty" and "I just can't do it captain, I don't have the power"), which is how I am. But I really enjoyed the movie and think it would be enjoyable for just about anyone. It is very action packed, on the edge of being tooooo much, but I like the action so it was worth it. Put it to you this way, at the end I was willing to take on more but also felt like I got my fill of action for the day. I'd bet you would enjoy it. Maybe not a 4* movie for you but easily a 3* and more likely a 3+.

Broncoman13
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
You'll be surprised at how much you remember and recall from the original movies. Like you I haven't watched them (to my memory anyhow) but I was familiar with the characters... at least familiar enough with them that as they introduced them I kind of knew what their role was. Spock for example being a really smart dude that calculates sh*t in his head.

05-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Possible Spoiler Alert

"As my customary farewell would seem oddly self serving, I will simply say... good luck"

Greatness. We were all cracking up.

"Go to hell" was more hilarious 15 years ago.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tf17nf1rMUM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tf17nf1rMUM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Northman
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Saw it yesterday. Very good movie.

05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
This trailer pretty much melted my brain when I was 10.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/638S8n2_Ab8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/638S8n2_Ab8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
This is pretty much all you need to know about how awesome STIV is:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcC1f1jqCPI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcC1f1jqCPI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hfDJBsxhQ9g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Miss I.
05-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Personally though, this is my favorite:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bI5hi4c4y9k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bI5hi4c4y9k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

with a side of Trekkies (actually I have never seen the documentary, but I am willing to bet it is a goldmine of humor - this segment I found is funny, though I suspect unintentionally so).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Z9VSOq0nqU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Z9VSOq0nqU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
The Trekkies documentary is fantastic. The best part is the guy who has a minivan outfitted like a shuttlecraft. The son of a bitch got a girlfriend!

Rulon Velvet Jones
05-10-2009, 01:21 PM
The Trekkies documentary is fantastic for masturbating.

DeusExManning
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
You misunderstood my post.

I'm saying we don't need to rehash old storylines. No more Khan. No more ****ing Doomsday Machines or Hortas or any of that ****. Something new.

Agreed, give us a new storyline

Kaylore
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd like to add that I loved what they did with Christopher Pike. They made him a cool character and you respected him. I thought the Romulans much needed makeover was awesome. I was so sick of the bowl cuts and they made them more "organic" and more bad ass. The new weapon systems were much better as well. Not just from a graphics standpoint, but from a space physics and believability stand point as well.

I liked engineering much better the way they had it. It looked like a big industrial plant, and not a bunch of guys standing around a big blue tube with wall consoles. It looks like you actually would need a crew that big to run engineering.

05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Except the Romulans are completely different in Kirk's time.

loborugger
05-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Star Trekking across the Universe...

Always going forward, cuz we cant find reverse!!!

It was pretty good. I enjoyed it. As the movie went on, I started to look at the youngsters playing Capt Kirk, Spock, Chekov, etc as who they were supposed to be - instead of thinking "that dude aint Sulu."

I imagine this will spawn a whole new series of flicks from this. Its kinda funny, but I was sitting there watching this new cast play the old characters and thinking that this movie effect the lives and imaginations of millions of people - who are older than them. This new cast probably has no connection with Star Trek the way my generation was.

Worth the time, no doubt. I liked it.

broncocalijohn
05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I hope it's good. In the last couple of years, I've been disappointed with summer movies I had been waiting to see. Maybe I just need to lower my expectations going in so I can enjoy the movie.

Why not? You already lowered your expectations of a football team or you would have left the Squaws year's ago. If you lower your expectations as low as you did for the Chiefs, you would have loved Encino Man.

Pseudofool
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
***Spoiler***

The more than one Spock thing was stupid. I can't believe they had to have some nonsensical time jumping revenge driven plot line. I thought part of the point of a reboot was to move passed stupid crap like that.

All in all, a pretty descent movie; the next one will be better as they don't need to spend three fourths the move introducing the cast.

Pick Six
05-11-2009, 10:24 PM
***Spoiler***

I agree. It was cool to see the character, but the storyline could have been stronger without it...

brother love
05-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Spoiler

Spock and Ohura. What the hell is that!

loborugger
05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Spoiler

Spock and Ohura. What the hell is that!

I was thinking the same thing. But, alas, its not of interest to everyone at every age level if there isnt some kind of love interest. And, Hollywood is no longer able to make a movie that isnt viewable and enjoyable to everyone, everywhere, all the time.

HILife
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I had problems with the plot too, but not that. I don't recall Nero saying he could do anything to stop the Nova. I think he expected Spock to save the planet and when he didn't he wanted revenge thinking he "allowed" Nero's world to be destroyed.

While watching the movie I did question the plot at times. I just started going with the idea that he was bent on revenage and wasn't thinking rationally. All he cared about was accoplishing his "mission" in life.

HILife
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
From What I have heard they will probably not redo that movie because they have not even met Kahn yet. That is far into the future of this series.

You have to keep in mind that they went back in time and changed history. That will give the writers some freedom to move around.

HILife
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
It was a Phenomenal film.

My only gripes were some of the stupid flaws.

SPOILER IN WHITE FONT - HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

When Spock was on the planet which appeared to be as close to Vulcan as our moon is to earth. Knowing that a black hole just consumed the planet from the inside but did nothing to the planet Spock was on.

The fact that "planet" was ice covered while Vulcan was rock without ice. The fact that a planet is that close to another planet... makes little sense for two planets to be so close with each having atmospheres complete with oxygen.

The argument with Kirk and young Spock and yada yada went on for a while after they left Vulcan space and he's marooned on a planet they would have had to gone BACK to.

Seeing light escape a black hole.

Earth in the future not having quick action response to an attack on San Fransisco to attack the drill. (same for Vulcan). Regardless of electronic communication interference, shooting a drill should have been simple.

Just nitpick **** for me basically.

Overall great film that deserves the 96% it has on Rotten Tomatoes. Had the kind of production value that the Star Wars prequels deserved and failed to obtain.

Alot of movies after going back and re-anilizing have something wrong with it. Most space movies have sound in space, but in real life space is a vacuum with no atmoshpere so sound can't travel in space.

I think people are REALLY over thinking this movie. Keep in mind it's a movie. It doesn't have to be perfect, just entertaining.

Pseudofool
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
***SPOILERS LIKELY****
You have to keep in mind that they went back in time and changed history. That will give the writers some freedom to move around.
I hate startrek sense of time travel. I prefered the LOST time travel. You can't change the past, what has happened already has happened.

It's a cheap way to reboot the franchise. Should have gone with no Nemoy, no time travel, come up with another way to destroy Vulcan, and just trash the cheesy history of the former startrek and rewrite its history unapologetically.

(I think the Battlestar Gallactica reboot was far, far stronger and more compelling) (I know it's TV, so it is different, but still).

Kaylore
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
***SPOILERS LIKELY****

I hate startrek sense of time travel. I prefered the LOST time travel. You can't change the past, what has happened already has happened.

It's a cheap way to reboot the franchise. Should have gone with no Nemoy, no time travel, come up with another way to destroy Vulcan, and just trash the cheesy history of the former startrek and rewrite its history unapologetically.

(I think the Battlestar Gallactica reboot was far, far stronger and more compelling) (I know it's TV, so it is different, but still).
If they did that all the fanboys would throw a fit for pissing on the franchise. It also would have been disrespectful to the other writers and creators of the previous movies. This was the best of both worlds.

Pseudofool
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
If they did that all the fanboys would throw a fit for pissing on the franchise. It also would have been disrespectful to the other writers and creators of the previous movies. This was the best of both worlds.Meh. I think that's pretty shallow logic, if that's there reasoning for it.

Like I said, I expect hte next one to be better as it won't have to reintroduce the cast or pay some lame homage to the old star trek history.

DeusExManning
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
It appears Khan is in play for the sequel according to MTV.com

Who Should Play Khan In A New ‘Star Trek’? MTV News Plays Casting Director For The Next Film
Published by Eric Ditzian on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm.

Khan

To no one’s surprise, “Star Trek” opened huge this weekend, beaming in more than $72 million at the box office since it hit theaters on Thursday evening. Now a second “Trek” courtesy of director J.J. Abrams—what would be the twelfth film in the sci-fi franchise—seems all but assured. Where do we go from here? For devoted Trekkers, the hands-down #1 film of all-time in the canon is 1982’s “The Wrath of Khan,” starring Ricardo Montalbán (who passed away in January) as the superhuman title villain. Indeed, even before this newest “Trek” came out, speculation was rampant about the possibility of a new Khan making an appearance in a future “Trek.”

“The honest answer is if you’re a ‘Trek’ fan, there’s no way Khan isn’t at the top of the list of things you want to play with, right?” co-screenwriter Roberto Orci told Ain’t It Cool News earlier this month. With that idea in mind, MTV News has taken on the role of casting director to select five people we think would make worthy successors to Montalbán’s Khan.

Tom Cruise: He’s a good friend of Abrams. He’s a model of physical perfection (except for the whole barely-5-feet-tall thing). He rocked a Khan-ish ponytail as the motivational sexpert in “Magnolia.” And who else can pull off an a-hole swagger like Cruise? Only problem is that with his “Trek,” Abrams has shown a penchant for casting little-known actors. Could Cruise’s outsized persona take a backseat to Khan’s cool, calm and collected tyranny?

Javier Bardem: Anyone who’s seen “No Country for Old Men” knows that Bardem can play a superfreaky villain, and play it frighteningly well. And like his predecessor, Bardem would deliver lines like “Let them eat static!” and “It is very cold in space!” in accented English—it’d almost be as if Montalbán never left us. But Bardem’s an Academy Award winner and again, Abrams might favor an unknown.

Kirk Acevedo: You might not know Acevedo, but you should. He has a sparkling supporting role as a tightly wound, authoritative FBI agent in Fox’s mindbender, “Fringe.” Who created that show? J.J. Abrams. So Acevedo’s got an in with the “Trek” head honcho, and his growly, do-not-cross-me quality would be a perfect fit for Khan.

Matt Damon: To begin, Damon was rumored to have been in the running to play the new James T. Kirk. What’s more, Khan is genetically perfect and insanely intelligent. Who better to take on the role than the man behind “Good Will Hunting” and the Jason Bourne trilogy?

Angelina Jolie: Khan as a woman—heresy or brilliance? Let’s face it, no man can possibly out-Khan Khan. It might be wise for Abrams to go in a completely different direction and cast Jolie. She’s got serious acting chops (see “Girl, Interrupted”) and can do badass convincingly (see “Lara Croft” and “Wanted”). And with his subtle tweaking of “Trek” lore, Abrams has shown he can make changes to the franchise and not incur the unmitigated wrath of the Trekker community.

05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Jesus Christ. Leave K alone.

edit : JESUS CHRIST. TOM ****ING CRUISE?

Miss I.
05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Khan? What did Jesus do to you man? I am confused. I thought Tom Cruise was the one to watch for, but now Jesus too? Man, the Trekkie universe is weird. ;D

Besides I was sure it was Kent, Jesus messed with.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sf-5RaFnh2U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sf-5RaFnh2U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Xenos
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
All I have to say is that I love green :wiggle:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5996/startrek2.jpg

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/nicholsorion.jpg

DeusExManning
05-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Jesus Christ. Leave K alone.

edit : JESUS CHRIST. TOM ****ING CRUISE?

I agree, do something new.

Miss I.
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
my favorite green:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpiIWMWWVco&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpiIWMWWVco&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Beantown Bronco
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Pure speculation with no grounds whatsoever.

Having said that, I watched Wrath of Khan this weekend after seeing the new one. It's amazing how many of the side stories and quotes they took from Khan to make the new one. They obviously did their homework.

One thing I did find troubling though. During the scenes with Kirstie Allie and William Shatner, I found myself constantly trying to figure out how much combined weight the two of them gained post-Khan. It was very distracting.

DeusExManning
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Pure speculation with no grounds whatsoever.

Having said that, I watched Wrath of Khan this weekend after seeing the new one. It's amazing how many of the side stories and quotes they took from Khan to make the new one. They obviously did their homework.

One thing I did find troubling though. During the scenes with Kirstie Allie and William Shatner, I found myself constantly trying to figure out how much combined weight the two of them gained post-Khan. It was very distracting.

Well the screenwriter is saying that it would be great to revisit Khan. I kind of hope not but we will see.

Drunk Monkey
05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
[B]

All in all, a pretty descent movie; the next one will be better as they don't need to spend three fourths the move introducing the cast.

I disagree, a huge part of any movie is character development. While based on the same characters they were very different because they were young and new to their careers. It was interesting especially if you know who they grow into in later (earlier) movies. Most sequels suck because the characters are already developed and pigeon hole the writers into limited options.

Pseudofool
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I disagree, a huge part of any movie is character development. While based on the same characters they were very different because they were young and new to their careers. It was interesting especially if you know who they grow into in later (earlier) movies. Most sequels suck because the characters are already developed and pigeon hole the writers into limited options.Character development is far different from character introduction. The way the film introduced the characters and how they each had their little job trait and personality trait should not be mistaken for real character development. There were no character arcs for anyone beyond Kirk, Spock, and maybe, maybe Uhura.

I don't know how you could believe that any of these characters are "developed" it's an ongoing process (or at least should be); btw, the same writers are writing the second film, so I doubt they've pigeon-holed themselves. Complex characters should give rise to plenty of opportunity of development in future installments.

Pick Six
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Star Trek fans may have stomached the deviations in Star Trek lore this movie provides, but casting Tom Cruise as Khan would pretty much incite riots...:flush:

Dagmar
05-16-2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz2aea2bca.jpg

Kaylore
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Who Should Play Khan In A New ‘Star Trek’? MTV News Plays Casting Director For The Next Film
Published by Eric Ditzian on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm.

Ehhh this is a pretty crappy article that is just a bunch of conjecture trying to get in on the hype of the new movie's success. Their list is pretty terrible too.

Tom Cruise: Yay. A crazy midget that can't do accents. This almost seems like the Church of Scientology paid off the writer to try and keep Cruise relevant in pop culture. F-

Javier Bardem: This is actually a good choice because he's a good actor and looks the part. B+

Kirk Acevedo: No. This guy doesn't have the voice of Khan. C-

Matt Damon: The logic behind this selection is so incredibly stupid. He played smart guys in other parts, so he fits? D

Angelina Jolie: What a joke. F-

I am totally for a new Khan, though. People were ripping on Christopher Nolan for thinking that Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker was sacrosanct and Heath Ledger's performance garnered an Oscar.

Khan would be younger because this would effectively be a movie version of Space Seed. There's plenty of material for a good movie: A group of genetic power hungry super men, after a failed bid to take over 20th century Earth, are exiled to space and held in suspended animation for centuries only to be awakened accidentally by the Federation. They quickly gain control of a ship (doesn't have to be Enterprise) and chaos ensues. That would make a good movie.

I'm a Trek fan, but It's not the freaking Bible. It's a story and frankly the 60's TV series, while fun and forward thinking for it's time is incredibly campy. I love that they're refreshing the series and if it makes for a good movie I think everyone thing is on the table to be redone. Good characters and good stories are timeless and should be tied to any one writer, actor, producer or director.

This also opens up potential for Star Wars being redone correctly once emperor Lucas finally dies off and they rip the franchise from his cold, dead fingers.

Killericon
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd like to see Khan, but then I worry that we'll see them remake every Star Trek movie(It'd probably even make it to Voyager)...I'd like to see Khan, and then take things in a different direction.

For the record, this movie was ****ing great.

Archer81
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Considering the direction the new movie went its entirely doubtful they even meet Khan...

SoCalBronco
05-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes.

I agree, dont even watch the Motion Picture. You won't get those three hours back. Ever. Just go straight to Star Trek II.

Oh BTW, I watched the film today and I was really happy with it. I also love how they laid seeds for the next film with Spock's Mom being caught in the transportation and apparently dead even though we know that she can't possibly be dead.

SoCalBronco
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
***SPOILERS LIKELY****

I hate startrek sense of time travel.

Slingshots around the sun aren't your thing, huh? :)

05-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Uh...whiskey tango foxtrot on the Spock's mom thing...

Kaylore
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree, dont even watch the Motion Picture. You won't get those three hours back. Ever. Just go straight to Star Trek II.

Oh BTW, I watched the film today and I was really happy with it. I also love how they laid seeds for the next film with Spock's Mom being caught in the transportation and apparently dead even though we know that she can't possibly be dead.

I saw it again on I-max. I really hope Spock's mom is dead, though. I can't stand Winona Ryder. I did have some real problems with the movie, though.

****SPOILERS****
How does a super nova threaten the whole galaxy? The biggest novae wouldn't affect more than a few systems at worst. Dumb science

When Kirk and Sulu teleport onto the pad they are still moving at terminal velocity. They probably should have died assuming that transporting an object in motion doesn't remove that motion or energy generated, which we know it doesn't because their blood and heart are still moving. If you're falling at terminal velocity (and it's greater because Vulcan has heavier gravity than Earth) it doesn't matter if you smack into rock or a teleporter pad; You will die.

Why didn't old Spock just self-destruct his vessel with the red matter on it before Nero got a hold of it? I have trouble believing old Spock wouldn't have thought of the complications of turning over that much material to a bunch of pissed off space diggers.

Other than that, it was awesome.:thumbsup:

DeusExManning
05-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I saw it again on I-max. I really hope Spock's mom is dead, though. I can't stand Winona Ryder. I did have some real problems with the movie, though.

****SPOILERS****
How does a super nova threaten the whole galaxy? The biggest novae wouldn't affect more than a few systems at worst. Dumb science

When Kirk and Sulu teleport onto the pad they are still moving at terminal velocity. They probably should have died assuming that transporting an object in motion doesn't remove that motion or energy generated, which we know it doesn't because their blood and heart are still moving. If you're falling at terminal velocity (and it's greater because Vulcan has heavier gravity than Earth) it doesn't matter if you smack into rock or a teleporter pad; You will die.

Why didn't old Spock just self-destruct his vessel with the red matter on it before Nero got a hold of it? I have trouble believing old Spock wouldn't have thought of the complications of turning over that much material to a bunch of pissed off space diggers.

Other than that, it was awesome.:thumbsup:

I agree with everything, just for believability they should have added another line of dialogue like this supernova would incinerate the interior black hole of the galaxy causing a cataclysmic event.

I believe they would be able to teleport, listen to Scotty's line of dialogue, if you consider the movement of space as a factor we are already in terminal motion, everything is always moving so if done probably I believe it could work. A bit of a stretch but I was able to accept it.

Spock must have been caught off guard thinking that perhaps they were friendly at first. The material may be so explosive that it would not be worth it. There are several lines of thinking or possibilities that could have explained, it should have been a scene in the movie though.

Also what was this guy doing for 25 years. It did not make sense.

05-16-2009, 11:05 PM

It spreads from one solar system to the next. Read the preview comic. Explains a lot of background.

I have trouble believing old Spock wouldn't have thought of the complications of turning over that much material to a bunch of pissed off space diggers.

It wouldn't have done any good. They had red matter on Nero's ship already.

jonny1
05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Re: Spock and Uhura, I seem to remember a few small moments from the TV series where Uhura showed 'interest' in Spock, so it didn't shock me when they had that in this movie.

XXXII
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM

:thumbsup:

May I ask why the dislike of Winona? Presumably not just in this film. And I admit she doesn't have great range, but I liked Heathers and Beetlejuice. Just curious.

I concur on the rest though.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Disappointed.... I left the theater wanting a prequel. A reboot for the reboot.

They spent 5 min. on Kirks childhood through his entire academy training. Even less for Spock.

What a wasted opportunity not to have shown the journey of an angry petulant child transforming into the iconic ships Captain. Now I can see flash forwarding through his diaper years like they did with a very young kirk stealing step daddy's vet but adding way more of it.... but you could have had an entire movie made just about his Academy training alone.

This is James T Kirk we're talking about here. The Galactic cowboy. You just know there were some wild 24th century toga party's, suspensions... threats of expulsions.... and ultimately some heroic 'top gun dog fighting' heroics that set him above all his classmates in the end.

And how did the writer explain and legitimize his warp speed climb to becoming the youngest captain ever? Sixty seconds of him stealing his step dads antique vet. Followed up by a chance meeting a decade later with his Dads shipmate turned captain who pleads for him to enlist flash forwarding to him cheating on a battle sim designed by spock then standing on the bridge of the Enterprise as a snot nosed stowaway who was then just automatically magically given 1st mates credentials because he's a wild and crazy young cowboy. And of course... after the battle.... he's wasn't merely granted graduation with cheating charges dropped or even elevated straight to active duty as a senior officer... oh no.... Kirk was elevated straight to captain.

Kirk and Spocks characters deserved better character development.

...and do any of us really want to see Casanova Spock macking up the skirts?

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM

They spent 5 min. on Kirks childhood through his entire academy training. Even less for Spock.

What a wasted opportunity not to have shown the journey of an angry petulant child transforming into the iconic ships Captain. Now I can see flash forwarding through his diaper years like they did with a very young kirk stealing step daddy's vet but adding way more of it.... but you could have had an entire movie made just about his Academy training alone.

This is James T Kirk we're talking about here. The Galactic cowboy. You just know there were some wild 24th century toga party's, suspensions... threats of expulsions.... and ultimately some heroic 'top gun dog fighting' heroics that set him above all his classmates in the end.

And how did the writer explain and legitimize his warp speed climb to becoming the youngest captain ever? Sixty seconds of him stealing his step dads antique vet. Followed up by a chance meeting a decade later with his Dads shipmate turned captain who pleads for him to enlist flash forwarding to him cheating on a battle sim designed by spock then standing on the bridge of the Enterprise as a snot nosed stowaway who was then just automatically magically given 1st mates credentials because he's a wild and crazy young cowboy. And of course... after the battle.... he's wasn't merely granted graduation with cheating charges dropped or even elevated straight to active duty as a senior officer... oh no.... Kirk was elevated straight to captain.

Let me just say, as a kid growing up in the 1970s and watching Star Trek re-runs on TV, I'm well versed in all the story lines. In fact, I had a calendar with all the original episodes listed in the calendar, and I marked them off, one by one as I saw each episode (it kinda sucked because they tended to show some episodes way more than others).

So, I know the story lines.

I DID NOT like the first 15 mins. or so of the movie. I didn't like the whole JTK being born in a space battle. I just thought it was flat out cheeezy.

Yes, the should have spent more time on Kirk and Spock's formitive years and academy years.

I did like Spock and I did like the young Kirk. Lot's of up side with each character and the director was smart enough to throw in a little Shatner and Nimoy characteristic's into the new Kirk and Spock. Bones was good and had some good lines, I like the fact that his character remains the closest in it's original interpretation (Lot's of Deforest Kelley type references). I digged Uhura, she was hot. Sulu was good, they made a reference to his jousting which the original Sulu was great at. Chekov, I dunno, I guess he had a good accent. Scotty was good, but he wasn't around much.

Overall, I think it was pretty true to the original series. I thought perhaps there was way more action than necessary. I'd prefer more story line, more character development.

I do NOT like the fact that Vulcan was destroyed. I think that some weak crap. I do like the Romulans, but the Romulans in this movie were an extreme sect and do not necessarily represent all Romulans. However, Romulus was destroyed so I'm not sure how all this will pan out.

No Klingons to be found anywhere. It's gonna be interesting to see how they are revived.

I did like the green chick. I'd do her.

orangeatheist
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I do like the Romulans, but the Romulans in this movie were an extreme sect and do not necessarily represent all Romulans. However, Romulus was destroyed so I'm not sure how all this will pan out.

Back when this story is set, Romulus is not destroyed. It's destroyed in "old Spock's" time, the time of Nero, not in the past when Kirk and "young Spock" are getting their feet wet. Romulus will not be destoyed by the supernova until long into the future, so it's still around and so are the Romulans.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
May I ask why the dislike of Winona? Presumably not just in this film. And I admit she doesn't have great range, but I liked Heathers and Beetlejuice. Just curious.
I don't know. Maybe it's her weird voice. Maybe it's her role as an old woman in Edward Scissor hands. Maybe both. Something about her annoys me. Her and Claire Danes are two actresses that annoy me in a similar way. I don't hate her in everything. I liked her in Dracula, Little Women, and Beetlejuice, but that's it.

Pick Six
05-19-2009, 10:23 AM

I agree with you on principle. However, this is the summer movie season. Character development is for movies shown at a time of year when movie studios aren't counting on a lot of ADD kids spending money. I compare it to the Star Wars prequels. Phantom Menace was criticized because they spent "too much time" on Anakin and Padme's character development. It still made money, but it's considered the "weakest" of the Star Wars movies. No director wants to have their movie considered "weak".

Granted, the inclusion of Jar Jar Binks didn't help matters...

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Back when this story is set, Romulus is not destroyed. It's destroyed in "old Spock's" time, the time of Nero, not in the past when Kirk and "young Spock" are getting their feet wet. Romulus will not be destoyed by the supernova until long into the future, so it's still around and so are the Romulans.

I guess I missed that. Oh well, like I said, too much action, not enough story line...

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree with you on principle. However, this is the summer movie season. Character development is for movies shown at a time of year when movie studios aren't counting on a lot of ADD kids spending money. I compare it to the Star Wars prequels. Phantom Menace was criticized because they spent "too much time" on Anakin and Padme's character development. It still made money, but it's considered the "weakest" of the Star Wars movies. No director wants to have their movie considered "weak".

Granted, the inclusion of Jar Jar Binks didn't help matters...

I thought the castings were spot on. I'm fine with the deliveries. The whole reboot mechanism is clever and believable if you don't let yourself get locked up too much on some of the holes. After all there still is a canon that is relevant and proceeds even some of this new alternate time line.

But they had better stop playing so fast and loose with the genre. The one interesting thing about Star Trek is that it always attempted to be OUR future. Everything (however wacky sometimes) was attempted to make sense according to OUR science. Unlike Star Wars which is meant to be pure fairy tale... Star Trek should remain plausible to our future injecting current social aspects with clever writing. Star Trek was meant to be explorers.... not just vikings going out blasting everyone regardless who starts the trouble.

And I go back to my disappointment in this reboot. I went into the theater with only the teasers and adverts. I mistakenly was under the impression that we'd finally get a chance to get a good long look at the space cowboys frat years. After all, there's a gigantic growth curve from the angry totally reckless youngster to the quick witted leap-first but with some sense of measure when absolutely needed hero. There would have had to have been some MAJOR events to both tear down both Kirk and Spock yet rebuild them back up into what they would eventually would become. Just a handful of these life lessons thrown in with a final mini-death defying event would justify the protagonists growth to legitimacy. Not to mention all the fun that could have been watching a reckless kirk getteing pounded and shaped all the way. It could have and should have been stupid fun!!!!!!! It would have satisfied some of old sci-fi fans with a payoff while merging the different generations into this one new timeline.

The end of this first film should have ended where the mining ship peeked through into the current timeline thus saving kirk from certain expulsion and thrusting him into his career in Starfleet and avenging his father and the lessons and peril that this would bring in further shaping this iconic captain.

Most of this film should have been the second film in this reboot. Instead they did too much, too fast, too soon. They treated it like a single film instead of a launching point for a whole new adventure. Startroopers for gods sake had better character development and backstory..... and that's just pathetic!

I would have also liked to have seen Kirk and Spock tied together further back..... say a chance meeting at space museum where a very young petulant kirk has a chance encounter with a nerdy uptight spock slumming on a school field trip to earth or something. A moment that neither will quiet ever remember but the audience is in on...

IMO a very sloppy haphazard attempt to do way too much, way too soon. The only consolation is that the casting was well done. Now I just hope the writing improves, old stale story lines aren't rehashed again and the over all star trek intent remains intact/

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2009, 01:22 PM
They could still do a lot of that through flashbacks in the next movie. I think if they did too much of that this time around, they wouldn't have brought in so many "Trek noobs".....and, make no mistake, that was the goal all along. Sure they didn't want to upset all the old school Trekkies. What they really wanted, though, was to bring in all those who never followed the original but liked what was done with the Batman and James Bond franchises.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I thought the castings were spot on. I'm fine with the deliveries. The whole reboot mechanism is clever and believable if you don't let yourself get locked up too much on some of the holes. After all there still is a canon that is relevant and proceeds even some of this new alternate time line.

But they had better stop playing so fast and loose with the genre. The one interesting thing about Star Trek is that it always attempted to be OUR future. Everything (however wacky sometimes) was attempted to make sense according to OUR science. Unlike Star Wars which is meant to be pure fairy tale... Star Trek should remain plausible to our future injecting current social aspects with clever writing. Star Trek was meant to be explorers.... not just vikings going out blasting everyone regardless who starts the trouble.

And I go back to my disappointment in this reboot. I went into the theater with only the teasers and adverts. I mistakenly was under the impression that we'd finally get a chance to get a good long look at the space cowboys frat years. After all, there's a gigantic growth curve from the angry totally reckless youngster to the quick witted leap-first but with some sense of measure when absolutely needed hero. There would have had to have been some MAJOR events to both tear down both Kirk and Spock yet rebuild them back up into what they would eventually would become. Just a handful of these life lessons thrown in with a final mini-death defying event would justify the protagonists growth to legitimacy. Not to mention all the fun that could have been watching a reckless kirk getteing pounded and shaped all the way. It could have and should have been stupid fun!!!!!!! It would have satisfied some of old sci-fi fans with a payoff while merging the different generations into this one new timeline.

The end of this first film should have ended where the mining ship peeked through into the current timeline thus saving kirk from certain expulsion and thrusting him into his career in Starfleet and avenging his father and the lessons and peril that this would bring in further shaping this iconic captain.

Most of this film should have been the second film in this reboot. Instead they did too much, too fast, too soon. They treated it like a single film instead of a launching point for a whole new adventure. Startroopers for gods sake had better character development and backstory..... and that's just pathetic!

I would have also liked to have seen Kirk and Spock tied together further back..... say a chance meeting at space museum where a very young petulant kirk has a chance encounter with a nerdy uptight spock slumming on a school field trip to earth or something. A moment that neither will quiet ever remember but the audience is in on...

IMO a very sloppy haphazard attempt to do way too much, way too soon. The only consolation is that the casting was well done. Now I just hope the writing improves, old stale story lines aren't rehashed again and the over all star trek intent remains intact/

I agree with much of this post. Being that this is a film based on the original characters in the original series, they could have spent more time developing the characters.

But, I think you have to remember what a failure the first Star Trek movie was. IMHO THE FIRST STAR TREK MOVIE WAS THE BEST, simply because it was very similar to the series. It was a thinking man's Star Tek. However, critics did not like it and most people found it boring. But for old fans like me, it was classic Star Trek.

Pseudofool
05-19-2009, 01:39 PM
No one wants to see Kirk's frat boy years. I mean, really?

Given that the franchise is rebooting on the screen rather than on the tube, we can expect pacing to change and attention to cultural and scientific aspects to be reduced. There's just not enough time to dwell on the difference between the defector dish and the deflector dish or to explore the culinary habits of the alien-of-the-week.

That said, the holes in the rebooting mechanism unnerved me. From Nero and his crew just kicking it for 25 years to how the heck they knew Spock was even coming, much less where and when he'd show up. I'd prefer the just throw the canon out hte window and not bother with creating an alternate time line. As mentioned the rapid promotion of Kirk to Captain was facepalm worthy.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
beantown- I know what you're saying and I agree. It's obvious who their target market was. However with clever writing they still could have and should have done this. After all, by concentrating on a wild frat boy kirk and spocks formative years this would have automatically appealed to generation ADD anyway. These actors won't be getting any younger to be playing twenty year olds for future flashbacks and it would be choppy and lose some of the impact anyway.

I spent nearly 10 years at Paramount Pictures subisid tasked with converting movies into very bad video games. I know how the internal games are played where good intent is dwindled down to crap output because of studio politics and misguided decision making.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
As mentioned the rapid promotion of Kirk to Captain was facepalm worthy.
That's actually a part I didn't have any problems with.

We know Kirk is effectively a genius because as mentioned all his testing is "off the charts" and so when he enlists he's presumably at the head of his classes.
Sure he gets into trouble for things like Kobiashi Maru incident, but these are things that make him a winner.
Pike loves him and wants him to command quickly. He also makes a logical (and ironic) second officer to Spock, who can over-think things. Pike promoted him because he liked him and he felt they'd compliment each other well.
Because of extremely rare circumstances Kirk was promoted to captain. Things like this do happen in war so it's completely believable.
Because he saved Earth while acting as Captain, and because Pike was promoted to Admiral, It's completely logical they'd have to reward Kirk somehow. Pike as Admiral definitely pulled strings and saving the planet helps too, especially when it was your plan as Captain.

Now if as Captain Star Fleet stopped Nero without any assistance from Kirk, then he would probably be relegated to Commander or below depending on his hearing outcome. However I found the promotion of Kirk completely believable. If you want to argue that those circumstances are unlikely, then you should stick to documentaries and more realistic dramas, because Star Trek is based on fantasy to begin with.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I respectfully disagree Kaylore.

The unbelievably rapid promotions only devalue Pike as a seasoned leade, Kirk as a worthy someday captain and the extreme privilege and honor it takes to be such a captain. Sorta like becoming a captain on an aircraft carrier x10.

Pikes affection for Kirk would have gotten him in the door (sorta like getting your way into the Air Force academy) but then he'd have to prove himself on his own merit. And merit not only involves potential but by ones ACTIONS will you gain respect and admiration needed to be at the top of the class. And Kirks biggest assets would have also been his biggest stumbling blocks to overcome. With tremendous ego and brilliance comes the need for a major tear down process to gain wisdom and some sort of discipline to counterbalance his ever leap-first mentality. Without this needed process he would never make it.

Also, it's notable that most leaders make it tougher for those who they care about NOT EASIER. The last thing Pike would have wanted was to get him killed before he was really ready. Even if it meant handicapping a beloved kirk.

Pseudofool
05-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Sure, I could do a power point presentation on the merits of a young kirk, but it's absurd to believe that one mission no matter how great could grant enough experience needed of a spaceship captain.

Pike's initial promotion of Kirk to first officer was equally silly, Bruce Greenwood just sold it because he kicks ass.

I get that it's a movie and all, but something Star Trek always tried to make it's world and it's rules seem very credible.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I respectfully disagree Kaylore.

The unbelievably rapid promotions only devalue Pike as a seasoned leade, Kirk as a worthy someday captain and the extreme privalge on honor it takes to be such a captain. Sorta like becoming a captain on an aircraft carrier x10.

Pikes affection for Kirk would have gotten him in the door (sorta like getting your way into the Air Force academy) but then he'd have to prove himself on his own merit. And merit not only involves potential but by ones ACTIONS will you gain respect and admiration needed to be at the top of the class. And Kirks biggest assets would have also been his biggest stumbling blocks to overcome. With tremendous ego and brilliance comes the need for a major tear down process to gain wisdom and some sort of discipline to counterbalance his ever leap-first mentality. Without this needed process he would never make it.

Also, it's notable that most leaders make it tougher for those who they care about NOT EASIER. The last thing Pike would have wanted was to get him killed before he was really ready. Even if it meant handicapping a beloved kirk.

I still disagree. You're assuming that he didn't gain any of that respect at the Academy. You're also forgetting they were in a galactic crisis situation, and if Pike has as much faith in him as we know he does, he was going to put his best guys into play because he needed his best guys, regardless of how much mental breaking down Kirk needed at that point. And if someone saved our planet, they'd pretty much have a ticket punched to be President for whatever country they wanted, let alone captain of a ship.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Bruce Greenwood just sold it because he kicks ass.

Well we agree on something.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
And if someone saved our planet, they'd pretty much have a ticket punched to be President for whatever country they wanted, let alone captain of a ship.

Seriously. Imagine a rookie pitcher not pitching in the regular season, but throwing three perfect games in the WS, including a game 7 win. Then the coach tells him during the hometown parade that he's going down to AAA to start the following season.

Then multiply that accomplishment by about 1,000.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I think they should have cast Jim Carrey as Kirk... he was a fantastic Kirk in Ace Ventura Pet Detective...

Pseudofool
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Say if some troop (a middle class officer of some sort) of ours was essential in stopping some horrible disaster/attack and the whole world knew it and sang his praises, and even still the Army would not promote the dude to General. Just think about it. He'd have to go through the normal progressions of his career, albeit accelerated.

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Say if some troop (a middle class officer of some sort) of ours was essential in stopping some horrible disaster/attack and the whole world knew it and sang his praises, and even still the Army would not promote the dude to General. Just think about it. He'd have to go through the normal progressions of his career, albeit accelerated.

Different scenario.

We're talking about a guy that WAS promoted to General during the attack in question. He'd have to then be actively demoted to no longer be General.

OABB
05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm currently on a quest to collect moon elf dust from King Quandelmare who has an invisibility cloak. Can any of you guys suggest to me how I can use my 12th level mage powers to see him long enough to collect the moon elf dust.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I still disagree. You're assuming that he didn't gain any of that respect at the Academy. You're also forgetting they were in a galactic crisis situation, and if Pike has as much faith in him as we know he does, he was going to put his best guys into play because he needed his best guys, regardless of how much mental breaking down Kirk needed at that point. And if someone saved our planet, they'd pretty much have a ticket punched to be President for whatever country they wanted, let alone captain of a ship.

Bingo! That's what I'm saying here.... the stunts that a Fratboy Kirk would have had to have done to gain this level of respect automatically calls for at least one good starting movie on it's own. Not just a nod to him cheating on a sim test.

And it might have been a Galactic crises... but this was the Flagship Enterprise we're talking about. The best of the best of the best was on board. They treated it as if it were the Civil war and a greenhorn Kirk somehow stumbled into the commanders tent at the front line and was given 2nd in command by cousin Ernie because he was the only one left who could read and write and verbalize an order. And well, Auntie May always envisioned him in officer stripes.

No matter how beloved kirk was in Pikes eyes, no matter how impressed he was with his potential, no matter how high his plans were for Kirk someday. The only way a man, a leader of Pikes make up would ever elevate him in this way is if he had been at the local watering hole with Pat Bowlen.

OABB
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Bingo! That's what I'm saying here.... the stunts that a Fratboy Kirk would have had to have done to gain this level of respect automatically calls for at least one good starting movie on it's own. Not just a nod to him cheating on a sim test.

And it might have been a Galactic crises... but this was the Flagship Enterprise we're talking about. The best of the best of the best was on board. The treated it as if it were the Civil war and a greenhorn Kirk somehow stumbled into the commanders tent at the front line and was given 2nd in command because he was the only one left who could read and wright and verbalize an order.

No matter how beloved kirk was in Pikes eyes, no matter how impressed he was with his potential, no matter how high his plans were for Kirk someday. The only way a man, a leader of Pikes make up would ever elevate him in this way is if he had been at the local watering hole with Pat Bowlen.

I know right! It reminds me of that time when I was involved in a giant LARP battle and my leader was struck down by a night elf...no one was around to issue orders, and lo and behold I had to stand up and take command. I did o.k. until I was struck in the leg by a lightning bolt and died of flukon poisoning.

I was much to inexperienced at the time to lead a major battle. However, now I am a 14th level swordsman with intimidating wielding powers.

orangeatheist
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh, ferchristssake, you're arguing about the unlikely promotion of a fictional character in a sci-fi movie! Have you forgotten there are Vulcans in the movie? Why don't we cut the crap and argue how unlikely it would be for another planet to follow nearly the same evolutionary path to an intelligent creature that earth followed? Why not talk about how unlikely it would be for us (earthlings) to understand alien language without a Universal Translator? Hell, why not discuss the improbability of a UT? Ha ha ha!

I think we need to take a step back and chill. It was just a movie, after all. And a damn good one! Let us all just rejoice....Star Trek is BACK!

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:49 PM
You want in on this geek fest and you know it. Just admit it and we'll pass the latex spock ears and cool black boots your way...

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh, ferchristssake, you're arguing about the unlikely promotion of a fictional character in a sci-fi movie! Have you forgotten there are Vulcans in the movie? Why don't we cut the crap and argue how unlikely it would be for another planet to follow nearly the same evolutionary path to an intelligent creature that earth followed? Why not talk about how unlikely it would be for us (earthlings) to understand alien language without a Universal Translator? Hell, why not discuss the improbability of a UT? Ha ha ha!

I think we need to take a step back and chill. It was just a movie, after all. And a damn good one! Let us all just rejoice....Star Trek is BACK!

You're missing the whole point.

Well, I'm no Trekkie but even I know that Ohura's Klingon was terrible according to her own grumblings in the both the movie series and tv. Yet in the movie she as a lowly Cadet somehow intercepted and translated Klingon communications that the entire fleet failed to do.... then to top it off... She kept it to herself until all hell broke loose and being put on the spot by kirk.

Now how plausible is this now?

Pseudofool
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Different scenario.

We're talking about a guy that WAS promoted to General during the attack in question. He'd have to then be actively demoted to no longer be General.So you the notion of promoting someone from cadet to general during an attack sits perfectly fine with you? Come on.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I know right! It reminds me of that time when I was involved in a giant LARP battle and my leader was struck down by a night elf...no one was around to issue orders, and lo and behold I had to stand up and take command. I did o.k. until I was struck in the leg by a lightning bolt and died of flukon poisoning.

I was much to inexperienced at the time to lead a major battle. However, now I am a 14th level swordsman with intimidating wielding powers.

LOL ROFL! Hilarious!

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
So you the notion of promoting someone from cadet to general during an attack sits perfectly fine with you? Come on.

Actually, ole Pikey made him a first officer... just saying... you need to get the hell on board if your gonna geek out with us!:D

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I think in Star Trek a "First Officer" has access to the bridge... man, I'm a loser...

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
So you the notion of promoting someone from cadet to general during an attack sits perfectly fine with you? Come on.

That's not the part I was addressing. I can see someone having a problem with that part.

I was specifically referring to those that had a problem with him remaining Captain of the Enterprise after the planet was saved. I just don't see how you possibly "demote" him after what happened.

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking there's a whole lot to being a captain of a space vessel (talking just day to day stuff) let alone the flagship. I could see him being automatically catapulted to the bridge to be tutored under the best and brightest maybe with the full intent of making him captain ASAP. But there's gotta be some sort of crazy learning curve besides the ability to leap without looking.

Think of it in terms of taking the helm of a Air Craft Carrier in a moment of Crises and need. Later..... you'd need some serious intense narrow specialized training to take that on for the day to day operations.

Pseudofool
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
That's not the part I was addressing. I can see someone having a problem with that part.

I was specifically referring to those that had a problem with him remaining Captain of the Enterprise after the planet was saved. I just don't see how you possibly "demote" him after what happened.

He was just "acting" captain; there'd be no demotion.

DeusExManning
05-19-2009, 05:09 PM

In the canon, Kirk was the youngest ever to captain a starship. I think that scenario was believable and set up well as Pike saw something in him.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Admiral A: This young officer saved our planet when he took command as captain. He might be the brightest student we've ever had here. Not only did he manage to save the planet but he orchestrated the rescue of Admiral Pike and destroyed the Romulan vessel and all their black-hole weapons of mass destruction. He's clearly qualified and brilliant. Pike recommends he continue to captain the Enterprise. What should we do with him?

Admiral Pseudofool: He should be relieved and learn under another more experienced officer.

Amdiral A: Um, are you serious? Aside from the fact that the people of Earth might riot and tear down Starfleet command if we do that, and ignoring that we just lost several experienced officers and crew members in the battle, you are suggesting we demote this overqualified genius after everything he just did?

Admiral Pseudofool: He was just "acting" captain; There'd be no demotion.

Admiral A: Oh, well that clears everything up! ::)

Bronco Yoda
05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, I will say this.... there is no right or wrong opinion on this. If you enjoyed the movie and it met your level of suspension of disbelief.... then the writers, actors and production did their jobs. In the end it's just entertainment. So if you dug it then that's really all that matters.

I guess I'm probably coming from this from an entirely different perspective. And I fully admit that I'm probably in the minority. Just speaking for myself, I'm hoping there's on hell of a directors cut out there to be released that's about an hour longer and 100 IQ points higher.

SoCalBronco
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral A: This young officer saved our planet when he took command as captain. He might be the brightest student we've ever had here. Not only did he manage to save the planet but he orchestrated the rescue of Admiral Pike and destroyed the Romulan vessel and all their black-hole weapons of mass destruction. He's clearly qualified and brilliant. Pike recommends he continue to captain the Enterprise. What should we do with him?

Admiral Pseudofool: He should be relieved and learn under another more experienced officer.

Amdiral A: Um, are you serious? Aside from the fact that the people of Earth might riot and tear down Starfleet command if we do that, and ignoring that we just lost several experienced officers and crew members in the battle, you are suggesting we demote this overqualified genius after everything he just did?

Admiral A: Oh, well that clears everything up! ::)

PWNED

Archer81
05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I will say this.... there is no right or wrong opinion on this. If you enjoyed the movie and it met your level of suspension of disbelief.... then the writers, actors and production did their jobs. In the end it's just entertainment. So if you dug it then that's really all that matters.

I guess I'm probably coming from this from an entirely different perspective. And I fully admit that I'm probably in the minority. Just speaking for myself, I'm hoping there's on hell of a directors cut out there to be released that's about an hour longer and 100 IQ points higher.

Its star trek...for the love of God...

broncosteven
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM

The wife and I finally went today and saw ST for the 1st time.

My wife fully enjoyed herself and it was worth it for me to see her enjoy herself.

I however being 42 years old (Tuesday) and growing up with the original series had trouble with a lot of the movie.

I am guessing most of this has been covered here but I am not reading the whole thread.

I know they tried to explain most of the "reboot" away with the time travel thing but with my being a fairweather trekkie when I was a kid I knew that Kirk was supposed to be in his 40's when he took command and Checkoff was a late addition to the crew in the series, he was supposed to be 19 or something real young. Then Spock was supposed to be like 80 or something. So I had issues with them all going to StarFleet at the same time.

That said the guy who played Bones grew on me and I love Simon Peg's movies, not enough of him here. The kid playing Checkoff was good as was Harold.

I never was a big Spock guy and I really hate the new Spock who thinks with his dick just like Kirk. Now are they going to fight over who taps that Alien ass? WTF with the kissing on the Bridge?

If they would have made the same movie with different character names I think I would have loved it. I am guessing that a lot of those that did not grow up with original series will love this movie and us old timers will consider it the same as getting a LAPDANCE: you really want one but you feel dirty, and you don't want to tell your wife you had one, but you kinda enjoy it while it is happening.

DeusExManning
06-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Kirk had unique knowledge of this attack and had clearly showed something while training with the academy that cannot fully be explained during the film. It is Captain Pike's choice.

OABB
06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
oh god not this thread again....

at least Taco's thread about superman was a joke.

the nerdiness in here is offensive.

_Oro_
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
SPOILER

same thing is going to happen with JJ Abrams' other baby... the TV show Lost. everything on Lost is building toward a series finale (eventually) where the passengers of that Oceanic flight have gone back in time to prevent their plane from ever crashing. the final episode (my prediction... next year, or the year after?) will show them all arriving in LA, as strangers, with no crash and all those who've died back to life again. the problem with that is that means the 5 or 6 or 7 years worth of TV episodes to get to that point are all pointless because almost everything that happened ends up never happening. i hope they don't go down that path.

that's the same as the shower scene from that JR Ewing show (it was all just a dream), or Newhart's ending, or the ending of St. Elsewhere. it's cheating to wipe the slate clean of uncomfortable plot elements to start over. this is why using time travel in sci fi series has also always been considering cheating.

After watching today I was going to go on a rant about how much I hate time travel in anything and you summed it up perfectly. Time travel is an excuse for writers to not work hard and it sucks that so many shows/movies/books all resort to it.

Miss I.
06-07-2009, 02:05 AM
After watching today I was going to go on a rant about how much I hate time travel in anything and you summed it up perfectly. Time travel is an excuse for writers to not work hard and it sucks that so many shows/movies/books all resort to it.

Depends on how it's used, because it can be an effective device. I think what is more annoying is when things turn out to be dreams and not real. Very very irritating.

BroncoBuff
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
I've heard the basic outline for the Star Trek series is true ... Gene Roddenberry's wife worked at Darpa in the 60s, and when they canned her for what she thought were gender-bias reasons, she retaliated in anger by spilling the beans to Gene who came up with the series. Once it was on the air, Darpa could not object for fear of blowing the cover. Even so, Dorothy Roddenberry quickly fled to Venezuela, outside U.S. extradition, where she lives to this day, in fear for her life. (The characters on the shows and in the movies are ficticious though ... the true identities of actual starship personnel are tightly guarded.)

Miss I.
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
I've heard the basic outline for the Star Trek series is real ... Gene Roddenberry's wife worked at Darpa in the 60s, and when they canned her for what she thought were gender-bias reasons, she retaliated in anger by spilling the beans to Gene who came up with the series. Once it was on the air, Darpa could not object for fear of blowing the cover. Even so, Dorothy Roddenberry quickly moved to Venezuela, outside U.S. extradition, where she lives to this day, in fear for her life. (The characters on the shows and in the movies are ficticious though ... the true identities of the actual starship personnel are tightly guarded information.)

you kill me...and it's good to see Stephen is back..you know I am using his book as a coaster right now. ;D

BroncoBuff
06-07-2009, 02:25 AM
you kill me...and it's good to see Stephen is back..you know I am using his book as a coaster right now. ;D

Well ... Stephen empathizes with my identity crisis.

BroncoBuff
06-07-2009, 02:26 AM
... and whadd'ya mean "coaster"?

Miss I.
06-07-2009, 02:47 AM
... and whadd'ya mean "coaster"?

Ahh, I thought that would get you...of course I am not using it as a coaster, it's holding up a table leg...lol...Actually, I think he says specifically one is not allowed to do that..so I am possibly reading it while on my stationary cycle...maybe...

Jason in LA
06-07-2009, 11:10 AM

That was funny.

Pseudofool
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
PWNEDOf course. Anyone gets owned when the other party use your position as a puppet; that's a logical fallacy it's called a straw man.

Admiral A: Oh, well that clears everything up! ::)Thanks for the effort you put into the skit (not snark, necessarily), but I'm pretty dang cynical of the mythos of Kirks career path as characterized in this iteration. The promotion from suspended cadet to first officer, doesn't sit well with me. It seems rash, and convenient (and like I said it only works in the moment because of Greenwood). That initial misstep breaks up the continuity of Kirk's career path for me (it ruins the "vivid and continuous dream", despite what you say may make some sense.

Speaking more largely of Kirk's mythos, it's always been my sense that Starfleet would punish Kirk for his recklessness nearly no matter how justified the ends. More than that, there's been a bureaucratic element that was always portrayed throughout the entire Star Trek universe, an odd and sometimes disturbing adherence to the chain of command.

Look, a world in which a troubled, reckless (yes brilliant) cadet goes from suspended cadet to captain for saving a planet is a fantasy world. The thing I always appreciated about Star Trek was that it was supposed to be our future (idealized yet, but realistic, and often troubled by the problems or our world).

BTW: I know this might a couple weeks old; I just missed it, and wanted to be respond to getting owned.

Kaylore
06-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Meh, I'm over it so I won't rebuttal your rebuttal.

I will just say there was things I didn't like: You don't need to drill to the center of a planet to make a black hole suck it up; You could make a black hole right next to the planet, or even a "safe" distance away, and it would still suck the whole thing up just as easily. Super novae don't threaten "entire galaxies". From where is Spock seeing his world destroyed where it's larger than our moon? If it was that close the planet/moon he was on would be sucked into the black hole as well. Why did old Spock not defend the "red matter" more easily? Why did Spock have enough red matter to wipe out the galaxy when a drop was apparently all that was needed to stop the nova? Since when do black holes allow you to travel through time?

Despite these (what I feel are) incredibly bigger flaws with the plot, I found the movie enjoyable. I think complaining about how he was promoted is nit-picking and I thought they at least made an attempt to explain that whereas the problems above were ignored completely. And again, in spite of all this I enjoyed myself and look forward to the next ones.

broncosteven
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
It still bugs me that most of the great episodes and movies quote great lit. This one seemed more like "roadhouse" than Shakespeare.

I have trouble with any time travel plots. Especially when people like Spock and Scotty end up getting stranded in times that wern't their own. BTW the NG movie with Kirk in it sucked major ass.

They could have done without having real Spock in the movie. It added to the lame parts.

Oh and they ****ed up the design of the Enterprise too.

Pseudofool
06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Meh, I'm over it so I won't rebuttal your rebuttal.

I will just say there was things I didn't like: You don't need to drill to the center of a planet to make a black hole suck it up; You could make a black hole right next to the planet, or even a "safe" distance away, and it would still suck the whole thing up just as easily. Super novae don't threaten "entire galaxies". From where is Spock seeing his world destroyed where it's larger than our moon? If it was that close the planet/moon he was on would be sucked into the black hole as well. Why did old Spock not defend the "red matter" more easily? Why did Spock have enough red matter to wipe out the galaxy when a drop was apparently all that was needed to stop the nova? Since when do black holes allow you to travel through time?

Despite these (what I feel are) incredibly bigger flaws with the plot, I found the movie enjoyable. I think complaining about how he was promoted is nit-picking and I thought they at least made an attempt to explain that whereas the problems above were ignored completely. And again, in spite of all this I enjoyed myself and look forward to the next ones.I enjoyed it quite a bit and have a feeling the next will be much strong. But yeah, a lot of those things gave me pause. There's a lot stuff that doesn't make scientific sense throughout the Star Trek universe, so it might not annoy me as much as lazy character development or convenient plot devices.