PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Dickory Dockett?

bowtown
05-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Forget Peppers, might this be the answer to our prayers?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-9-25/With-three-years-left--Dockett-swimming-upstream.html

My two-word reaction to Darnell Dockett's latest request for the Cardinals to trade him: can't hurt. The defensive tackle might have a better chance converting to cornerback than strong-arming Arizona into dealing him, but there's no harm in asking.

Dockett's dissatisfaction with his contract is well known. His trade request, which Mike Jurecki of XTRA-910 in Phoenix reported Monday, comes as little surprise. Dockett cited a sore hamstring for missing post-draft practices. Teammate and fellow trade-seeking Drew Rosenhaus client Anquan Boldin also cited hammy trouble in skipping practices.

Where is this heading? Nowhere, I would think. Dockett has three years left on his contract. The Cardinals have said they plan to work toward extensions with Karlos Dansby and safety Adrian Wilson before they revisit contracts for players with more than one year remaining on their deals. Boldin, with two years left on his deal, also stands ahead of Dockett.

The Cardinals have considered adopting a policy whereby the team simply wouldn't revisit contracts with more than one or two years remaining. The team has held firm on Boldin. Dockett has more time remaining on his deal.

It's tough to picture the team caving to Dockett, although parting with him would carry no negative salary-cap ramifications for the team. Dockett stands to earn salaries of $3.5 million, $3.75 million and $4 million over the remainder of his deal. The contract, renegotiated during the 2006 season, carries no bonus proration for the remaining years.

PRBronco
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah I was thinking about this too. I think a blockbuster move like trading for Dockett or Peppers would be too much for the city of Denver to handle at this point, but if a trade were done, I'd be more comfortable with Dockett. You wouldn't have to give up as much, and we're more needy at the position he plays. They're both monsters though.

*edit* Eww gross a Rosenhaus client, stay away.