PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels' Meticulosity...ish...ness...

Memento
05-03-2009, 10:36 PM
A lot of it seems like Football 101, but as long as you're building an offense from from scratch (or from the NE mold) and breaking in QBs new to the system...:).

I kind of like what I'm seeing/hearing. Wonder if he thought Jay-C was too casual for this, or if he thought Jay-C was so enamored with his own right arm that these kinds of details weren't important. Interesting look into what traits he's looking for in his on-field point-person.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/huddle-52905-mcdaniels-wants.html

Broncos' QB control isn't a snap judgment
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
May 3, 2009 - 5:47 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
As much as any physical attribute, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is looking for a quarterback who owns the huddle.

Whenever updating the progress of Kyle Orton and Chris Simms, he manages to work in a mention of how they commanded the huddle in practice. McDaniels said he is very specific about what he wants from his quarterbacks in the huddle and before the snap.

He wants them to have a presence, handle the other players correctly and have the offense working at a fast tempo. He wants the offense running - not walking - to the line of scrimmage. Players need to be lined up correctly and the defense needs to be identified. All of that falls on the quarterback.

"There's a lot of things the quarterback in this system is going to do before the ball is snapped," he said. "If we can get a guy that can perform before the ball is snapped and make sure there are no pre-snap errors, we're halfway there."

McDaniels is also very picky about how the pre-snap cadence - the calls at the line of scrimmage - is spoken. McDaniels said that in team meeting rooms he will call out the signals how he wants them said, and the quarterbacks have to repeat them back.

"It's kind of elementary, but until all three are saying it exactly the same way, one lineman is jumping because he's used to this guy's cadence - we can't have that," McDaniels said. "They have to sound identical. They have to sound the same. That's what we're after."

Simms and Orton aren't fazed by their coach's focus on the pre-snap routine. The notion that the quarterback should have control of the huddle is nothing new to them.

"It comes with the position, ever since high school," Orton said. "The play starts in the huddle, so that's something that can't be overlooked."

Simms said McDaniels wants the quarterbacks to first say the play clearly in the huddle. Then they offer quick tips for players, telling a receiver where his landmark is when he goes in motion or going over a blocking assignment with the running back.

"He's definitely particular about what he wants, no doubt about it, and rightfully so," Simms said. "To run a tight offense and do the right things, it starts in the huddle and it starts in the huddle with the quarterback saying the right play."

Simms and Orton practice getting the cadence how McDaniels wants it. They do it while throwing on their own and before minicamp practices during individual drills.

How a quarterback says the pre-snap signals isn't something that will be gushed about on television highlight shows, but it's important to McDaniels.

"I know that sounds like a little thing," he said. "But with what we're doing in our system ... to be able to go out there and get in the huddle and get out of the huddle and run the play and execute it the right way, that's a positive."

ol number 7
05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Obviously talked to slow for this system.

Memento
05-03-2009, 10:53 PM

:)

Hulamau
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Alright, No more Club Med!

BroncoMan4ever
05-04-2009, 01:08 AM
i have a theory of my own, that McDaniels felt it would be difficult to get a young cocky already successful QB to buy into his system. i think he felt it would be hard to get Jay to listen to his teachings and critism, because Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better, and to a point did have the attitude that he was the **** that more than likely would have had the 2 butting heads by midseason even if there was no trade drama.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better

This is the dumbest thing I've read on this website.

BroncoDoug
05-04-2009, 01:22 AM

You're the dumbest thing I'VE ever read on this website...

But I think its the small things and the demand for perfection that can take a team over the top. McD has that enthusiasm to get this team excited to play, and to buy into what he is trying to do! I know I'm excited and I don't even play!

Houshyamama
05-04-2009, 01:36 AM

you've posted 21,726 too many posts on this message board

elsid13
05-04-2009, 01:56 AM
i have a theory of my own, that McDaniels felt it would be difficult to get a young cocky already successful QB to buy into his system. i think he felt it would be hard to get Jay to listen to his teachings and critism, because Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better, and to a point did have the attitude that he was the **** that more than likely would have had the 2 butting heads by midseason even if there was no trade drama.

Because Shanahan lacked any intensity at all and didn't know what good QB was.

OBF1
05-04-2009, 03:17 AM

Inside source or just talking???

How about Cutler did not want to be in Denver, or has that not been posted enough for you on every online service and every sports radio or TV show?

bowtown
05-04-2009, 08:28 AM

I think it was the slurring he had a problem with.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-04-2009, 08:40 AM

The Deal is Done and 2 1st round picks on the table for 2 weeks immediately come to mind.

worm
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
McDaniels is a GENIUS!

First he comes up with this whole 'team approach' to the game of football that everyone is gushing about here.
He then created his 1,2,3 TEAM! chant.
NOW he builds on that inspired creativity by wanting the QB to control the huddle!

BRILLIANT! Josh seriously should be given the Nobel Prize for Football.

TonyR
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM

He specifically said "I have a theory of my own".

Traveler
05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope the coaches are meticulously teaching our guys how to properly tackle.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Say what you want about Coach, perhaps you disagree with his decisions and methods, but the man is incredibly detail oriented and intense. In this way, he reminds me a lot of shanahan the perfectionist (its a compliment). Regardless of what happens, I think our team will be very prepared week in week out and hopefully will have a leg up mentally on our competition.

Jesterhole
05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
All I know is that we have the worst QB situation in football...thanks to coach.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
All I know is that we have the worst QB situation in football...thanks to coach.

I think youre going to be pleasently surprised by the play of Kyle Orton. I know you'll disagree, and thats fine, but this is my prediction (i watched him a lot this past season as my buddy is a bears fan and would often watch the early game with him before broncos games).

Rabb
05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Say what you want about Coach, perhaps you disagree with his decisions and methods, but the man is incredibly detail oriented and intense. In this way, he reminds me a lot of shanahan the perfectionist (its a compliment). Regardless of what happens, I think our team will be very prepared week in week out and hopefully will have a leg up mentally on our competition.

Absolutely agree

vancejohnson82
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM

really?? so you would rather have the Dolphins slew of quarterbacks? Or how about the Jets with a rookie and 2 nobodies? or how about Vikings? these three immediately come to mind

Rabb
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM

I think that is a stretch, time to get over it

tsiguy96
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

ahahahaha, are you kidding me?

san fransisco. minnesota. buffalo bills.

three teams off the top of my head that would gladly trade places with us as far as QB situation.

TonyR
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks to the coach? If Jay returned a phone call he'd still be on the team. But that would just give you one less thing to p*ss and moan about.

telluride
05-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Possibly he felt that Cutler was simply too dumb to run his offense. Add the diabetes and the drinking, and suddenly you start looking around for other options.

Memento
05-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Possibly he felt that Cutler was simply too dumb to run his offense. Add the diabetes and the drinking, and suddenly you start looking around for other options.

Dave Logan had an interesting take on Cutler. He said that in *all* of his (Logan's) years in football as a player, as a coach (hs), and as an announcer that Cutler was hands down the most stubborn player he'd ever met.

That's sayin' something. I mean, you're talking NFL-level egos here.

I think you're right about the drinking/diabetes thing, Tell, but I don't think Cutler is dumb...

just... so... entrenched... in... doing... things... his... way...**

...that he might have been "immovable" in JM's system; therefore he had to be moved, if that makes any sense.

**trying to set a record for most ellipses in a header/post:)

rovolution
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
really?? so you would rather have the Dolphins slew of quarterbacks? Or how about the Jets with a rookie and 2 nobodies? or how about Vikings? these three immediately come to mind

Pennington played at a high level last season for Miami. hes much better than anything we have on our roster at the moment.

Smiling Assassin27
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
that's a very encouraging article. this team was soft, moderately skilled, mildly unmotivated, and rarely talked the talk. mcd's serving it up with expectations that address all those things, though the skill part still remains to be seen. every other factor begins and ends with an attitude adjustment and a change in mindset. go get 'em, tiny tim!

lex
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
McDaniels is a GENIUS!

First he comes up with this whole 'team approach' to the game of football that everyone is gushing about here.
He then created his 1,2,3 TEAM! chant.
NOW he builds on that inspired creativity by wanting the QB to control the huddle!

BRILLIANT! Josh seriously should be given the Nobel Prize for Football.

Do they give out a Nobel Prize for being corny?

lex
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks to the coach? If Jay returned a phone call he'd still be on the team. But that would just give you one less thing to p*ss and moan about.

If Bowlen and McDaniels were trustworthy, he might have returned the phone call.

TailgateNut
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
If Bowlen and McDaniels were trustworthy, he might have returned the phone call.

One signed his check and the other was charged with managing the bonehead.

Regardless of childish beliefs, when the boss calls, you answer the damn phone, or prepare to pack your bags.

lex
05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
One signed his check and the other was charged with managing the bonehead.

Regardless of childish beliefs, when the boss calls, you answer the damn phone, or prepare to pack your bags.

You act like Cutler didnt have amazing leverage. Not only that but they ended up trading him to his favorite team. So, you should actually rephrase your post to something like, "when the boss calls, you answer the damn phone or prepare for them to play hardball with you by trading you to your favorite team." Face it. Jay had no reason to call Bowlen back. Neither McDaniels or Bowlen had done anything for him to justify doing so. They werent trustworthy. And in the end, Jay made out. Actually the better approach than the meatheaded toughguy act you're referring to would have been to tell Jay that he's not going anywhere.

vancejohnson82
05-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Pennington played at a high level last season for Miami. hes much better than anything we have on our roster at the moment.

Pennington couldnt even make the Jets roster....Miami picked him up because he is a "system" quarterback....he has a HORRIBLE arm and can't throw anything more than 17 yards downfield.

If you think Pennington "playing at a high level" is better than what we have you are completely wrong because he showed that in the right system certain guys can be successful ...which is exactly what McDaniels thinks

hence, getting rid of Cutler

BroncoMan4ever
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Because Shanahan lacked any intensity at all and didn't know what good QB was.

no, but he and Bates coddled Jay and didn't really jump on his **** when he messed up. had they been tougher with him in his 1st 3 years, he would still be our QB.

BroncoMan4ever
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM

How about Cutler did not want to be in Denver, or has that not been posted enough for you on every online service and every sports radio or TV show?

ok, 1st off, i don't care that he is gone. secondly, there was McDaniels initially thinking about trading Jay, and the reason he initially gave thought to trading Jay is what my theory is about, not the aftermath of the entire situation

BroncoMan4ever
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Dave Logan had an interesting take on Cutler. He said that in *all* of his (Logan's) years in football as a player, as a coach (hs), and as an announcer that Cutler was hands down the most stubborn player he'd ever met.
That's sayin' something. I mean, you're talking NFL-level egos here.

I think you're right about the drinking/diabetes thing, Tell, but I don't think Cutler is dumb...

just... so... entrenched... in... doing... things... his... way...**

...that he might have been "immovable" in JM's system; therefore he had to be moved, if that makes any sense.
**trying to set a record for most ellipses in a header/post:)

see and that is what i was trying to get at in my theory. Jay is a stubborn bastard already, add in being a pro bowler and getting league wide notice as one of the best in the league, and there is a strong chance that McDaniels just looked at the situation and thought, there was no way Jay was ever going to listen to him or do things his way.

BroncoMan4ever
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM

come on man, i haven't really tossed a football around in a few years and i still have a stronger arm than Pennington.

TonyR
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
And in the end, Jay made out. Actually the better approach than the meatheaded toughguy act you're referring to would have been to tell Jay that he's not going anywhere.

Um, they did. I could be wrong, but if he would have returned Pat Bowlen's phone call I really think he would be the QB of the Denver Broncos today. Bowlen lost patience and ordered the move. The deal is done.

tsiguy96
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
come on man, i haven't really tossed a football around in a few years and i still have a stronger arm than Pennington.

so arm strength=good qb?

TonyR
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
this team was soft, moderately skilled, mildly unmotivated, and rarely talked the talk. mcd's serving it up with expectations that address all those things, though the skill part still remains to be seen. every other factor begins and ends with an attitude adjustment and a change in mindset.

Yes, good points. And think back to those early Belichick Patriots, particularly the teams that won the Super Bowls after the 2001 and 2003 seasons. Those teams weren't known for flashy playmakers and top end skill players. The RB's were guys like Antowain Smith and an old Corey Dillon. The WR's were guys like Troy Brown and David Givens. The defense was full of wiley veterans. But they played hard, played smart, and played with an attitude. I realize we don't have near the defense those teams had but I'd like to think that's the direction we're headed. Good, smart, hard nosed football.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
You act like Cutler didnt have amazing leverage. Not only that but they ended up trading him to his favorite team. So, you should actually rephrase your post to something like, "when the boss calls, you answer the damn phone or prepare for them to play hardball with you by trading you to your favorite team." Face it. Jay had no reason to call Bowlen back. Neither McDaniels or Bowlen had done anything for him to justify doing so. They werent trustworthy. And in the end, Jay made out. Actually the better approach than the meatheaded toughguy act you're referring to would have been to tell Jay that he's not going anywhere.

I cannot believe you actually think this way.

FACT:

1) Jay Cutler lost no money.
2) Jay Cutler lost no playing time.
3) Jay Cutler was still considered the focal point of the offense.

None of that changed, he has NOTHING to bitch about. He also went public with his discontent before hearing the story, didn't practice with his teammates, would only meet with his agent (despite the team asking repeatedly for a one-on-one) and then suddenly flipped when he got traded to make him seem like an innocent victim.

Jay Cutler is an asshole. A huge asshole. And he had no leverage at all, the broncos could have brought him in, made him sit, and paid him a reasonable salary and he could have done nothing about it. They just didnt want to deal with the headache anymore.

MVP-06
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
obviously Jay said to many "you knows" in the huddle

bowtown
05-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Pennington is an amazing QB and can clearly do all the things they need him to do, which is why they used a 2nd on Pat White. ;)

GeniusatWork
05-04-2009, 01:40 PM
see and that is what i was trying to get at in my theory. Jay is a stubborn bastard already, add in being a pro bowler and getting league wide notice as one of the best in the league, and there is a strong chance that McDaniels just looked at the situation and thought, there was no way Jay was ever going to listen to him or do things his way.

The theory that Jay would be an obstacle all year has merit. I agree. It's the pain in the ass theory.

elsid13
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM
no, but he and Bates coddled Jay and didn't really jump on his **** when he messed up. had they been tougher with him in his 1st 3 years, he would still be our QB.

They didn't on sidelines but there was report that both of them rode him very very hard in practices and QB meetings. People need to understand this wasn't about coaching it was Cutler belief that he had been lied to, and his freaking stubbornness of not changing his mind once it was made up.

barryr
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I cannot believe you actually think this way.

FACT:

1) Jay Cutler lost no money.
2) Jay Cutler lost no playing time.
3) Jay Cutler was still considered the focal point of the offense.

None of that changed, he has NOTHING to b**** about. He also went public with his discontent before hearing the story, didn't practice with his teammates, would only meet with his agent (despite the team asking repeatedly for a one-on-one) and then suddenly flipped when he got traded to make him seem like an innocent victim.

Jay Cutler is an a-hole. A huge a-hole. And he had no leverage at all, the broncos could have brought him in, made him sit, and paid him a reasonable salary and he could have done nothing about it. They just didnt want to deal with the headache anymore.

Well put, but too many facts for Cutler fans. Maybe they are as smart as he is and that's why they like him :yayaya:

Rabb
05-04-2009, 02:18 PM

I am convinced that you post just to get a reaction, not because you know what you are talking about.

Either that or you are a complete moron...either way, good luck with it.

~Crash~
05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I hope the coaches are meticulously teaching our guys how to properly tackle.

that would win the NFL noble prize

Caligula
05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
If the system isn't designed to use BETTER talent at QB (since we hear a lot of this "maybe Jay didn't fit the system" Crap..... then the system seems to lack something.

Sorry.. but NO TEAM.. especially the Bills (since that one was mentioned) envies our QB situation. NO TEAM feels they are in a worse QB situation then the Denver Broncos. Kyle Orton, worries NO ONE... period. Kyle Orton with our defense, actually makes teams CRAVE to play us.

We traded away the ONE player that made our franchise viable, and I put that blame squarely on the shoulders of our new meticulous coach.

~Crash~
05-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Cutler told people I am going to be traded . I am not going to the voluntary work outs no need to I will go to the mandatory ones . but that it will not matter they are trading me !

Goodman's told Cutler what was going to happen ! you guys act like pat our owner is not a sharp tack ! he seen NE winning spending min $$$$$$$$$$ every year well him or Ellis and thought why send $40 mil when we can pocket it !

Caligula
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I am convinced that you post just to get a reaction, not because you know what you are talking about.

say what you want, but he's absolutely, and 100% correct. Bowlen and McDaniel both proved to be liars... why would he trust either one, because they signed a pay check? Big deal. Anyone can sign a check, doesn't make you trustworthy. If you don't trust your boss, and don't want to work for his squirrel lil 'manager' that he put over your department, and could get a better paying job somewhere else with people that actually WANTED you.... tell me you wouldn't leave. I know I know.. you would be 'loyal' to your co-workers.

bowtown
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
say what you want, but he's absolutely, and 100% correct. Bowlen and McDaniel both proved to be liars... why would he trust either one, because they signed a pay check? Big deal. Anyone can sign a check, doesn't make you trustworthy. If you don't trust your boss, and don't want to work for his squirrel lil 'manager' that he put over your department, and could get a better paying job somewhere else with people that actually WANTED you.... tell me you wouldn't leave. I know I know.. you would be 'loyal' to your co-workers.

I just love it when people try to equate the billion dollar entertainment empire that is the NFL to their normal every day jobs. The analogies always work soooo well. Uhh

Caligula
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I just love it when people try to equate the billion dollar entertainment empire that is the NFL to their normal every day jobs. The analogies always work soooo well. Uhh

really... Tell me where I was wrong or incorrect in the "billion dollar entertainment industry."

Its just money..whether it be big or small... its relative. If YOU could go work for another person, another company that would pay you MORE money than you could earn now and you did NOT like your current boss, WOULD YOU STILL WORK FOR YOUR BOSS NOW??? Thats pretty damn simple.

It would be different if he was choosing to work or NOT work. He wasn't. The owner and 'boss' proved to be liars, and he didn't want to work for liars. Thus, he is an INDEPENDENT contractor, my friend. Simple, just like some dry-wall hanger. He was able to go work somewhere else. Thats about as 'simple' as you can make it..... BILLION DOLLAR ENTERTAINMENT industry, or street corner shoe salesman.

bowtown
05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
really... Tell me where I was wrong or incorrect in the "billion dollar entertainment industry."

Its just money..whether it be big or small... its relative. If YOU could go work for another person, another company that would pay you MORE money than you could earn now and you did NOT like your current boss, WOULD YOU STILL WORK FOR YOUR BOSS NOW??? Thats pretty damn simple.

It would be different if he was choosing to work or NOT work. He wasn't. The owner and 'boss' proved to be liars, and he didn't want to work for liars. Thus, he is an INDEPENDENT contractor, my friend. Simple, just like some dry-wall hanger. He was able to go work somewhere else. Thats about as 'simple' as you can make it..... BILLION DOLLAR ENTERTAINMENT industry, or street corner shoe salesman.

So does that drywall hanger also have an agent who he is paying 3% of his yearly salary whispering in his ear about how much money he could make elsewhere if he just played his cards right? Does the drywall hanger try to gain leverage by threatening to break his contract or effect the number of people paying money to come watch him work every week and does the houseowner he is working for also have to take those things into consideration? Are there shoe stores I don't know about that make trades among their employees and have disgruntled salesmen sitting at home with their phone turned off waiting to be traded to a different shoe store?

The NFL does not work like real life. There is way too much that goes into it and trying to boil this situation as a guy who didn't "trust" his boss and decided to go work elsewhere is is simplistic and naive.

GeniusatWork
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
They didn't on sidelines but there was report that both of them rode him very very hard in practices and QB meetings. People need to understand this wasn't about coaching it was Cutler belief that he had been lied to, and his freaking stubbornness of not changing his mind once it was made up.

That seems to sum it up.

And then one thing led to another . . . . . . .

broncosteven
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
A lot of it seems like Football 101, but as long as you're building an offense from from scratch (or from the NE mold) and breaking in QBs new to the system...:).

I kind of like what I'm seeing/hearing. Wonder if he thought Jay-C was too casual for this, or if he thought Jay-C was so enamored with his own right arm that these kinds of details weren't important. Interesting look into what traits he's looking for in his on-field point-person.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/huddle-52905-mcdaniels-wants.html

Broncos' QB control isn't a snap judgment
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
May 3, 2009 - 5:47 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
As much as any physical attribute, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is looking for a quarterback who owns the huddle.

Whenever updating the progress of Kyle Orton and Chris Simms, he manages to work in a mention of how they commanded the huddle in practice. McDaniels said he is very specific about what he wants from his quarterbacks in the huddle and before the snap.

He wants them to have a presence, handle the other players correctly and have the offense working at a fast tempo. He wants the offense running - not walking - to the line of scrimmage. Players need to be lined up correctly and the defense needs to be identified. All of that falls on the quarterback.

"There's a lot of things the quarterback in this system is going to do before the ball is snapped," he said. "If we can get a guy that can perform before the ball is snapped and make sure there are no pre-snap errors, we're halfway there."

McDaniels is also very picky about how the pre-snap cadence - the calls at the line of scrimmage - is spoken. McDaniels said that in team meeting rooms he will call out the signals how he wants them said, and the quarterbacks have to repeat them back.

"It's kind of elementary, but until all three are saying it exactly the same way, one lineman is jumping because he's used to this guy's cadence - we can't have that," McDaniels said. "They have to sound identical. They have to sound the same. That's what we're after."

Simms and Orton aren't fazed by their coach's focus on the pre-snap routine. The notion that the quarterback should have control of the huddle is nothing new to them.

"It comes with the position, ever since high school," Orton said. "The play starts in the huddle, so that's something that can't be overlooked."

Simms said McDaniels wants the quarterbacks to first say the play clearly in the huddle. Then they offer quick tips for players, telling a receiver where his landmark is when he goes in motion or going over a blocking assignment with the running back.

"He's definitely particular about what he wants, no doubt about it, and rightfully so," Simms said. "To run a tight offense and do the right things, it starts in the huddle and it starts in the huddle with the quarterback saying the right play."

Simms and Orton practice getting the cadence how McDaniels wants it. They do it while throwing on their own and before minicamp practices during individual drills.

How a quarterback says the pre-snap signals isn't something that will be gushed about on television highlight shows, but it's important to McDaniels.

"I know that sounds like a little thing," he said. "But with what we're doing in our system ... to be able to go out there and get in the huddle and get out of the huddle and run the play and execute it the right way, that's a positive."

It is nice that McStalin is starting our Rebuilding season by working on the fundamentals. The fact that this is all the reporter could find to report on is weak but there is nothing wrong with working on fundamentals when you have a 1st time HC installing a new system with 2 new QB's and one that hasn't seen live game action in a couple years.

Nothing here that screams OMG wE R going to SB! WOOO HOO! U r Teh suck!

Rabb
05-05-2009, 08:02 AM

fail

so by your account, this was entirely the front office driving him out not him wanting out which has clearly been proven to be the case

he requested a trade, didn't return any calls and celebrated when it went down after saying he wanted to be here and would stick in there for his team mates

yeah he is a real stand up guy, really miss him

kamakazi_kal
05-05-2009, 08:14 AM

uhhhh you know they coddled him how? cmon dude, you don't have to just make sHi^ up.

rovolution
05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
uhhhh you know they coddled him how? cmon dude, you don't have to just make sHi^ up.

go back and watch the Shanahan facial reactions after a Cutler interception versus after a Plummer or Griese INT.

I was shocked how shanny barely reacted when Jay threw picks, where as with Plummer and Griese, he would chew their asses out on the sidelines

oubronco
05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
go back and watch the Shanahan facial reactions after a Cutler interception versus after a Plummer or Griese INT.

I was shocked how shanny barely reacted when Jay threw picks, where as with Plummer and Griese, he would chew their asses out on the sidelines

the last few seasons Shanny looked lost and clueless on the sidelines all the time it wasn't just after Cutler threw an int, for one example...............Slowick

Caligula
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Thats just a stupid thing to judge on and make a comment that you KNOW Jay was "coddled." Thats just ridiculous. Then to turn around and justify it because of what you saw in face expressions from TV?? Please. YOu just remember the few times that Shanahan got on Plummer's ass, and Plummer was known NOT to spend time in the tape room. How do you know that Jake just didn't make the EXACT same throw they told him not to make 1000 times in practice? you don't know, but are purely basing your opinion based on facial expressions.

You must be that guy from "Lie to me" on tv. :~ohyah!:

lex
05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Um, they did. I could be wrong, but if he would have returned Pat Bowlen's phone call I really think he would be the QB of the Denver Broncos today. Bowlen lost patience and ordered the move. The deal is done.

???

vancejohnson82
05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
the last few seasons Shanny looked lost and clueless on the sidelines all the time it wasn't just after Cutler threw an int, for one example...............Slowick

yea, but it is accurate to say that when Plummer threw a pick Shanahan looked like his QB had just run his dog over

with Jay it was more of a "tough luck" look

but I think that also came with the way he thought the team was in position to win....with Jake he knew the team was Super Bowl caliber...with Jay I dont think he did at the time

Caligula
05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
fail

so by your account, this was entirely the front office driving him out not him wanting out which has clearly been proven to be the case

he requested a trade, didn't return any calls and celebrated when it went down after saying he wanted to be here and would stick in there for his team mates

yeah he is a real stand up guy, really miss him

Uhmm "fail"

The Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded. The coach TOLD him he was going to be traded by making the trade attempt behind his back, then LYING about it to everyone. As if it wouldn't come out that a three way trade involving a 25 yr old pro-bowl QB wouldn't be discovered.

Please.. give it a rest. Bowlen told Cutler that he was the guy and he was their QB, then allowed McDoosh to trade him. McDaniels told Cutler that he was excited to work with him and that he was the biggest reason he wanted to come to Denver, then tried to trade him away.

Where would there be ANY room to trust either one? Sharpe said (as well as many other) that he never trusted Shanahan again after finding out Mike was trying to trade him away behind his back. So he didn't want to work for a coach that flat out lied to his face over and over again... don't blame him. Why should he when he has other teams clamoring to have him with them. I'd tell McDaniels to 'due' without me too.

Its "business" when the coach is trying to trade him away... but its "not being a stand up guy" when he requests a trade. GOTCHA :thumbsup:

lex
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM

McDaniels subjugation programming and Pats lies are pretty well established. With that in mind ist hard not to blame Jay for having trust issues where the new regime is concerned.

Caligula
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
So does that drywall hanger also have an agent who he is paying 3% of his yearly salary whispering in his ear about how much money he could make elsewhere if he just played his cards right? Does the drywall hanger try to gain leverage by threatening to break his contract or effect the number of people paying money to come watch him work every week and does the houseowner he is working for also have to take those things into consideration? Are there shoe stores I don't know about that make trades among their employees and have disgruntled salesmen sitting at home with their phone turned off waiting to be traded to a different shoe store?

The NFL does not work like real life. There is way too much that goes into it and trying to boil this situation as a guy who didn't "trust" his boss and decided to go work elsewhere is is simplistic and naive.

Yeah.. Ok. Keep telling yourself that. You've just made up a bunch of scenarios in your head to fit your wants.

24champ
05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
It is nice that McStalin is starting our Rebuilding season by working on the fundamentals. The fact that this is all the reporter could find to report on is weak but there is nothing wrong with working on fundamentals when you have a 1st time HC installing a new system with 2 new QB's and one that hasn't seen live game action in a couple years.

Nothing here that screams OMG wE R going to SB! WOOO HOO! U r Teh suck!

yeah I am still waiting for the sled stories to come out and our lineman will be tougher for it.

uplink
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Yes I always thought there was something to this way of thinking. The more you get to know McD the more it just fits. Just can't see him coaching Jeff George part Deux.

Caligula
05-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Yes I always thought there was something to this way of thinking. The more you get to know McD the more it just fits. Just can't see him coaching Jeff George part Deux.

yeah.. I'm with you. I just can't see him coaching.......

TonyR
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
The Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded.

Bowlen told Cutler that he was the guy and he was their QB, then allowed McDoosh to trade him.

McDaniels told Cutler that he was excited to work with him and that he was the biggest reason he wanted to come to Denver, then tried to trade him away.

Sharpe said (as well as many other) that he never trusted Shanahan again after finding out Mike was trying to trade him away behind his back. So he didn't want to work for a coach that flat out lied to his face over and over again...

Wow, where to start.

1) Where did you get that the Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded?

2) Bowlen ordered the trade after not having his phone calls returned. He made the call, not McD.

3) Is it possible McD actually did feel that way and then changed his mind after meeting Jay and having things not go well? Possible, right?

4) You are aware that Sharpe came back and played for Shanny and the Broncos, right?

vancejohnson82
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM

theres a hundred different holes in your analogy...how about the fact that these players are under contract? its like getting a phone plan from AT&T, finding out that the sales guy lied to you and asking them to let you go to another company for free...

SonOfLe-loLang
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Uhmm "fail"

The Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded. The coach TOLD him he was going to be traded by making the trade attempt behind his back, then LYING about it to everyone. As if it wouldn't come out that a three way trade involving a 25 yr old pro-bowl QB wouldn't be discovered.

Please.. give it a rest. Bowlen told Cutler that he was the guy and he was their QB, then allowed McDoosh to trade him. McDaniels told Cutler that he was excited to work with him and that he was the biggest reason he wanted to come to Denver, then tried to trade him away.

Where would there be ANY room to trust either one? Sharpe said (as well as many other) that he never trusted Shanahan again after finding out Mike was trying to trade him away behind his back. So he didn't want to work for a coach that flat out lied to his face over and over again... don't blame him. Why should he when he has other teams clamoring to have him with them. I'd tell McDaniels to 'due' without me too.

Its "business" when the coach is trying to trade him away... but its "not being a stand up guy" when he requests a trade. GOTCHA :thumbsup:

Seems like a lot of revisionist history here

Caligula
05-05-2009, 10:13 AM
theres a hundred different holes in your analogy...how about the fact that these players are under contract? its like getting a phone plan from AT&T, finding out that the sales guy lied to you and asking them to let you go to another company for free...

a hundred holes and you point out the one that the player got out of?? Talk about having holes in your analogy, your analogy didn't stand up to a single comparison.

Tell me how much he was 'under contract' as they traded him away and he signed a new contract with Chicago.

TonyR
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Tell me how much he was 'under contract' as they traded him away and he signed a new contract with Chicago.

I'm fairly certain that he hasn't...

Caligula
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow, where to start.

1) Where did you get that the Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded?
Read that in an article that was circlulating all over the boards... thought you might have read it, but I'm not going to go searching for link. Sorry, I'm just not being a secretary.

2) Bowlen ordered the trade after not having his phone calls returned. He made the call, not McD.
Right..and I'm guessing you believe that three teams just happened to call up McDaniels, randomly, to ask if they were interested in trading away our 25 yr old, pro-bowl, QB who still had 4 years on his contract. That happens ALLLLL the time. I"m sure you believe the "he just answered the phone" excuse?? Seriously??? PLease. McD made those calls for the trade and if you want to try and hide from that truth, thats fine. Thats your choice if that makes you feel better. But the reality is, both Bowlen and McDaniels lied, and any reasonable person can see that.

3) Is it possible McD actually did feel that way and then changed his mind after meeting Jay and having things not go well? Possible, right?Sure.. if that fits your needs. Ok.

4) You are aware that Sharpe came back and played for Shanny and the Broncos, right?
YOu mean after not signing a new contract, and playing with the Ravens for a couple years??? Yeah.. I know that. Whats that have to do with Sharpe never trusting SHanahan again, going away and playing for another team???

Caligula
05-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm fairly certain that he hasn't...

You are right, my bad.

I meant to refer to the fact that he's out of his contract with Denver, and will be signing a new one with Chicago, and not that he had already signed one.

bowtown
05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Read that in an article that was circlulating all over the boards... thought you might have read it, but I'm not going to go searching for link. Sorry, I'm just not being a secretary.

YOu mean after not signing a new contract, and playing with the Ravens for a couple years??? Yeah.. I know that. Whats that have to do with Sharpe never trusting SHanahan again, going away and playing for another team???

Is there anyone else here that can corroberate that there was an article circualting all over the boards that said the Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded? I don't need a link, I'm just incredibly curious about this point since it's a pretty important fact if true, and I haven't read a single thing that even implied this. Just would love for one other person to back up that they read it in an article.

Also, would love to hear someone who can backup Sharp saying he NEVER trusted Shanahan ever again. Again, don't need a link, just would love one other person to tell me that they also read that anywhere.

vancejohnson82
05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
You are right, my bad.

I meant to refer to the fact that he's out of his contract with Denver, and will be signing a new one with Chicago, and not that he had already signed one.

he was UNDER contract....and my point in making an analogy was to show you that they dont work when talking about football situations.

A worker has every right NOT to show up because they dont trust their boss. They just dont get paid. With football it gets a little tricky because you sign a so many year contract for a certain amount of money....so not answering your boss' phone calls becomes a little different.

lex
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
he was UNDER contract....and my point in making an analogy was to show you that they dont work when talking about football situations.

A worker has every right NOT to show up because they dont trust their boss. They just dont get paid. With football it gets a little tricky because you sign a so many year contract for a certain amount of money....so not answering your boss' phone calls becomes a little different.

Was Cutler contractually obligated to answer phone calls? It seems more likely he was only on the hook to show up for required workouts.

vancejohnson82
05-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Was Cutler contractually obligated to answer phone calls? It seems more likely he was only on the hook to show up for required workouts.

this is VERY true...butw would you be considered a "top" employee or team player at that point...probably not..

TonyR
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Is there anyone else here that can corroberate that there was an article circualting all over the boards that said the Goodmans told Jay he was going to be traded? I don't need a link, I'm just incredibly curious about this point since it's a pretty important fact if true, and I haven't read a single thing that even implied this. Just would love for one other person to back up that they read it in an article.

I'm pretty sure such an article doesn't exist. Sounds like Light Rail material to me.

lex
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
this is VERY true...butw would you be considered a "top" employee or team player at that point...probably not..

If Bowlen and/or McDaniels arent trust worthy, its hard to suggest he should have been more preoccupied with being the employee of the month than looking out for himself.

bowtown
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure such an article doesn't exist. Sounds like Light Rail material to me.

That's what I figured.