PDA

View Full Version : London Wants Super Bowl

SportinOne
05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4130864

LONDON -- London has launched an audacious bid to stage the Super Bowl within the next eight years, a move that would see the United States' biggest sporting event played overseas for the first time, the Sunday Telegraph has reported.

According to the newspaper, representatives from the Mayor of London's office and Visit London, the city's official visitor organization, have received assurances from the National Football League of a commitment to hold the event in London.

The NFL has already staged two sellout regular-season games at Wembley Stadium, with a third scheduled for this October.

"We are looking at 2014, 2015 or 2017," David Hornby, the commercial director for Visit London was quoted as saying.

Talks have been ongoing with the NFL, which has identified London as the outstanding candidate city to host the event outside of the United States, according to the report.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that the league is not considering playing its championship game in London. He shot down a BBC Sport report that "'substantive talks" were under way between the NFL and London officials.

"We have never looked at London or Mexico City as a site," he said.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, the Super Bowl could be worth $521.1 million to the London economy, although the newspaper also quotes an unnamed NFL spokesman as saying: "The suggestions about London are only theoretical. There is no bid document."

However, Wembley Stadium commercial director Jonathan Gregory said: "We will do everything we can to work with the NFL and help bring this amazing event to London."

Willynowei
05-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Give it to them, studies have shown the draining effect of the superbowl on local economies - it kills them.

Costs tax payer dollars to host an event like that, and most of the money tourists spend is on NFL souvenirs. of course, trend could change when you bring it to a different country but, the superbowl doesn't do anything but make the NFL rich when its hosted in the US.

gyldenlove
05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Give it to them, studies have shown the draining effect of the superbowl on local economies - it kills them.

Costs tax payer dollars to host an event like that, and most of the money tourists spend is on NFL souvenirs. of course, trend could change when you bring it to a different country but, the superbowl doesn't do anything but make the NFL rich when its hosted in the US.

They have the olympics in 2016, so they will not have to spend a lot of extra to host the super bowl since they can use existing facilities and infrastructure.

hades
05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Man, I hope they don't get it. This is American football, it needs to stay within our borders.

dreasher54
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
That would be really gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breck Bronc
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
That would be really gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It would totally be homosexual!

Sassy
05-03-2009, 10:49 AM
No way!

Meck77
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I would be shocked if London ever got one. We've had the discussion a dozen times but Denver deserves one before London!

hades
05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I would be shocked if London ever got one. We've had the discussion a dozen times but Denver deserves one before London!

Isn't the spin on Denver not getting one because of the open stadium and it may be too cold? Well, if those limey bastards get one, the stadium better be covered!

From USAToday.com

Q: We'll be in London during February. What kind of weather can we expect and what is the average precipitation?

A: The average February high and low temperatures are 45 and 36 degrees F. The warmest and coldest on record are 64 and 16 degrees. An average of 1.4 inches of rain falls during February with nine days of the month on the average having at least 0.01 inch of rain. London also tends to be cloudy in February, averaging three hours a day of sunshine during the month.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4130864

LONDON -- London has launched an audacious bid to stage the Super Bowl within the next eight years, a move that would see the United States' biggest sporting event played overseas for the first time, the Sunday Telegraph has reported.

According to the newspaper, representatives from the Mayor of London's office and Visit London, the city's official visitor organization, have received assurances from the National Football League of a commitment to hold the event in London.

The NFL has already staged two sellout regular-season games at Wembley Stadium, with a third scheduled for this October.

"We are looking at 2014, 2015 or 2017," David Hornby, the commercial director for Visit London was quoted as saying.

Talks have been ongoing with the NFL, which has identified London as the outstanding candidate city to host the event outside of the United States, according to the report.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that the league is not considering playing its championship game in London. He shot down a BBC Sport report that "'substantive talks" were under way between the NFL and London officials.

"We have never looked at London or Mexico City as a site," he said.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, the Super Bowl could be worth $521.1 million to the London economy, although the newspaper also quotes an unnamed NFL spokesman as saying: "The suggestions about London are only theoretical. There is no bid document."

However, Wembley Stadium commercial director Jonathan Gregory said: "We will do everything we can to work with the NFL and help bring this amazing event to London."

You know whats funny. London wants the super bowl and obama wants the world cup. WTF.

Chris
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
FYI London has the olympics in 2012, not 2016. I'm all for it. I'd love to see american football grow into something international. You have no idea how saddening it was not to be able to play growing up, having to opt for rugby instead.

Dudeskey
05-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Yeah, if Detoilet got one Denver should as well...

SureShot
05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
London will get nothing and like it!

http://www.extrememortman.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/Judge%20Elihu%20Smails%20caddyshack.jpg

DenverBrit
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Isn't the spin on Denver not getting one because of the open stadium and it may be too cold? Well, if those limey bastards get one, the stadium better be covered!

From USAToday.com

Q: We'll be in London during February. What kind of weather can we expect and what is the average precipitation?

A: The average February high and low temperatures are 45 and 36 degrees F. The warmest and coldest on record are 64 and 16 degrees. An average of 1.4 inches of rain falls during February with nine days of the month on the average having at least 0.01 inch of rain. London also tends to be cloudy in February, averaging three hours a day of sunshine during the month.

I wonder if the NFL is aware of the monsoon conditions the teams would have to endure. Hilarious!

BABronco
05-03-2009, 12:03 PM
**** that! Once you boys over there can field several decent football teams and then can make your own little playoff structure ... then you can make your own damn superbowl.

Moreno Knows Best
05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I hope they get one, just to piss people off.

THIS IS AMERICA! GET R DONE!

cousinal11
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
America's biggest sports event in another country, now that makes sense.

Florida_Bronco
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Man, I hope they don't get it. This is American football, it needs to stay within our borders.

Agreed 100%.

Hogan11
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm far from being a xenophobe, but I just can't see how the Super Bowl would do well there.

Archer81
05-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I would see protest from 24 teams that would prefer to host a superbowl in their stadiums. Denver averages 300 days of sunshine a year, and its Colorado for heaven's sake. It could be 60 degrees the day of the superbowl and a foot of snow the day after.

:Broncos:

snowspot66
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
What time are they going to play the game? Midnight? Doesn't work.

Br0nc0Buster
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I dont see a problem with it.
I have never been to a superbowl, but have still enjoyed watching it on tv.

It appears there is a demand for it, as evident by the NFL games being sold out over there

BroncoDoug
05-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't like it, fans of the teams in the super bowl should get an opportunity to go see their team play, and making them pay an outrageous price to get all the way over to London isn't fair.

Bronx33
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Can they offer a field that doesn't come apart in chunks like the last time we were there if they were to get a SB? ( football isn't soccer) the turf takes alot more abuse.

rastaman
05-03-2009, 06:43 PM

The NFL is turning into a circus! Go ahead and pimp the SB overseas. The
60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's saw the NFL at its hey day and best.

Its only a matter of time before the owners ruin the NFL. From moving the Pro Bowl from Hawaii to playing the Pro Bowl before the SB.

Now the owners want to add two more games to the regular going from 16 to 18 games. Like the records being broken today aren't already over inflated b/c many records were set when the NFL played 12-14 to 16 games.

The fans are the real idiots, b/c they'll cheer and turn into a big event when they're player or team breaks a record having played 18 games, when the original record was set while playing only 14 games!!! One only needs to look at the inflated passing yards, receptions, receptions yards and the records broken b/c the owners hand cuffed the defense and gave the offense all the advantages b/c the IDIOT FANS! wanted more SCORING!!!

Hell when Jim Brown was racking up 1500-1800 yards, he did it with a 12-14 game seasons and not 16-18 games. Now a player playing an 18 game schedule needs to only avg. 83 yards a game to achieve the 1500 yd mark vs needing to avg 125 yds per game when the NFL played only 12 games a season.

Sheeeeesh......whats next! Will Jerry Jones be given an extra win before the season starts b/c their INFLATED PRACTICE facility was destroyed by strong wins!!!

BroncoMan4ever
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
FYI London has the olympics in 2012, not 2016. I'm all for it. I'd love to see american football grow into something international. You have no idea how saddening it was not to be able to play growing up, having to opt for rugby instead.

**** that. the super bowl going overseas starts a new tradition that will begin sending regular season games that can be attended by the american people who made the sport what it is today overseas, and screws the real american fans out of the opportunity of going to a game.

SportinOne
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Let's be real here, most american fans can't afford to go to the Super Bowl anyway. The people that can afford to go are going to go regardless of where it is. My problem with this idea is that it would be done for the soul purpose of revenue, ie: advertisement. The goal is not to make the super bowl a better event, it's to say:

"Look, world! Look what we have! You can have a piece of this, too! Just log onto www.nfl.com and click on the NFL Shop link. There are hats, t-shirts, jerseys, foam fingers, and, just added, the ability to order NFL Sunday ticket through your local cable or sattelite provider with just one easy click!"

Baseball used to be the great national sport. Things have changed. While I love baseball, people get way more into football these days. It's easier to watch and understand, it's easier to play with other people in your back yard, there is more violence, the season is shorter, and so on. America loves football and we LOVE the superbowl. Even if people aren't watching the game they are still hosting parties and going to parties and talking about it the following monday.

I'm not one of those truck drivin', nascar watchin', car fixin' types, but god damnit Goodell, keep the Super Bowl in America. GIT R DONE!

TailgateNut
05-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Fvck that! Frigging people don't even know what side of the street to drive on.

broncoblue
05-04-2009, 02:18 PM

up yours hades!

Mogulseeker
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
You know whats funny. London wants the super bowl and obama wants the world cup. WTF.

Globalization, baby.

Irish Stout
05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Ehhh.... I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never have enough money or luck to go to the Superbowl... so it doesn't matter to me where it is. Anddddddddd, if someone gives me a ticket to the London Super Bowl, I am pretty sure I have seen round trip air from Denver for $380. thats about as much as it would cost to fly to Jacksonville.

Tyrant
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Tell you what, we'll take your precious little Premier League Championship, put it in Kansas City in January. Let's see how your mangled tooth fan base thinks of that, and then we'll talk.

Moreno Knows Best
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Tell you what, we'll take your precious little Premier League Championship, put it in Kansas City in January. Let's see how your mangled tooth fan base thinks of that, and then we'll talk.

ROFL

YOU TELL EM BOSS!

/jerkoff motion

kdissette
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
screw that....its an american sport and it would make the superbowl even more expensive to go to.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Globalization, baby.

sure

ohiobronco2
05-04-2009, 09:26 PM

These motherfu**ers will outsource just about anything to turn a profit. No loyalty to the fans. Just to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JJJ
05-04-2009, 10:41 PM
These mother****ers will outsource just about anything to turn a profit. No loyalty to the fans. Just to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And there is nothing more American than that baby.

Besides 6 or 8 years from now we will all be so rich from Obama's policies that everyone can afford to go. :rofl:

I think London would be fine and it would be good and different for one year to take it on the road like that. Just how many Tampas, Miami's, and Phoenix' can we take.

The London regular season games were very successful and quite fun. I went to the Charger Saint game and it was a blast and was good exposure for the NFL. There are a lot of fans over here.

Only issue is the one raised with the start time. There is an 8 hour difference to the West Coast. So it is likely an 8 or 9 PM start time. If they start it at the normal time for a Superbowl it would be 11:30, and that too late.

atomicbloke
05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
The Super Bowl WILL go to London. And probably some other global cities after that. Nothing can stop it. No one gives a damn about fans. It's about money.

Deal with it. Capitalism and globalization is here to stay. You can't be proud of America and everything it stands for and then be anti-globalization, anti-capitalism and and anti-outsourcing at the same time. That's hypocrisy.

Either come to terms with it or move to China/Russia/France.

rastaman
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
screw that....its an american sport and it would make the superbowl even more expensive to go to.

Don't look now but in a few years, the SB will be shown on "Paid-Per View". These GREEDY NFL owners have no shame. Thats when I'll stop watching the SB! I'll just wait until the NFL Network shows the SB one week later.8')