PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Green Day album review....

PaintballCLE
05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Just got my hands on a early copy of the new green day album.........21st century breakdown..... Here is my quick review.

let me start by saying although it wasn't bad......I wasn't a huge fan of american idiot. My 3 favorite green day albums are 1. Warning, 2. Dookie, 3. Nimrod.

This album goes back in time to when they actually put out their pseudo punk songs. They moved away from the ballads that they put into american idiot. I am not saying they aren't there, but its not the whole album as american idiot was.

I feel most of the songs came out as "overly simple" something i like from a band like green day. I am sure you have heard "know your enemy" on the radio and can tell what i am talking about.

Although the album isn't long.....it had a lot of fluidity to it. Songs seem to roll together, although each have their own distinctive sound. (thats the problem i had with americna idiot......man of the songs were kind of bland and tended to run together)

All in all, for being a "past their prime" pseudo punk band.........the album is really good and worth the 9.99 bestbuy is offering it for on may 15th when it is released. Fans of the old school green day, and the new fans will both like this album.

BroncoDoug
05-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Good info, I'll defiantly check it out. Green Day Dookie was my first CD I ever owned, and still love it to this day!

PaintballCLE
05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
ps.........off the record lol if anyone wants "know your enemy" onmp3, email me

pntballkrm@aol.com

Hogan11
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Uh oh, here come all the "Green Day sucks" posts.....

I remember when I'd get Smoothed Out Slappy Hours & Kerplunk! promos in the mail, f'n major labels anyways. I've kept everything through Dookie and then just used the International Superhits collection to sum up the rest (thought the releases after Dookie were pretty spotty). American Idiot hasn't aged very well IMHO. I haven't checked this new one out yet, but it's on the list.

Rock Chalk
05-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Green Day is one of those bands I wasnt ever really into but didnt have anything against either. They had a couple of songs, especially on Dookie, that I really liked but overall just not really my thing. Dont like any sort of punk music mostly as it well, sucks.

I did like their attitudes though.

Los Broncos
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I remember going to this band in the late 80's at the coconut teaser in Hollywood.

Their following was pretty small at that time, I had a feeling they would make it big for some reason.

PaintballCLE
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I remember going to this band in the late 80's at the coconut teaser in Hollywood.

Their following was pretty small at that time, I had a feeling they would make it big for some reason.

best concert of my life was green day and rancid....at the agora here in cleveland........the agora has a ballroom (holds about 200 people) and a theatre(holds a lot) somehow their tour gotmessed up and they ended up double booking the theatre.........so they moved greenday/rancid to the ballroom. you can imagine about 1000 people jammed into a room thats only supposed to hold 200...........it was terrible from that standpoint, but an amazing concert. (I think iron maiden was in the theater that night)

KipCorrington25
05-02-2009, 11:23 PM
best concert of my life was green day and rancid....at the agora here in cleveland........the agora has a ballroom (holds about 200 people) and a theatre(holds a lot) somehow their tour gotmessed up and they ended up double booking the theatre.........so they moved greenday/rancid to the ballroom. you can imagine about 1000 people jammed into a room thats only supposed to hold 200...........it was terrible from that standpoint, but an amazing concert. (I think iron maiden was in the theater that night)

Yeah but 15 year old girls don't take up much space.

PaintballCLE
05-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah but 15 year old girls don't take up much space.

hence why it was the best concert ever.......LOL Jk

Los Broncos
05-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Wow that's crazy, the coconut teasers is small, well the stage area is anyways.

Concrete pillars in front of the stage, no moshing in there, we would do it right in front in about a 10x5 area.

I even remember the t-shirt I bought, had Rodney Dangerfield's face on it.

Archer81
05-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Never got into greenday. I was in middle school when they blew up...**** that was a long time ago.

:Broncos:

Punisher
05-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Iron Maiden best band ever!!!!

cutthemdown
05-03-2009, 04:13 AM
I'll buy it for a close girl friend of mine. She loves Green Day. Personally I'm not into punk, even green day pop punk, but I can listen to it if its done with some good musicianship.

SportinOne
05-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Dookie was the second CD I ever owned, and I loved every second of it. I was in middle school as well, and if I hear any of those songs it really brings back great memories. I don't like to listen to them on purpose, though. Not yet. I want to put off the reminiscing for at least another twenty years.

One the subject of American Idiot, I think these guys have the right attitude, like someone else said, but their music has become so commercial that you really have to wonder if they actually believe this stuff or if they were just capitalizing off of topical issues to sell records. It was very squeaky clean, as well, even by Green Day standards. I don't trust squeaky clean music.

Sodak
05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I met Billy Joe in 1986. They played in my hometown at a local punk show at the 4-H extension hall for about $50.00. He was 16 at the time and had just dropped out of school to play music and go on tour. I asked him if he really thought about what he was doing. He told me then that he thought the would make it. He was right.

Even at 16 years old, his band was really good.

I don't really consider them a punk band anymore though. More post-punk pop really if I had to put a label on it.

FADERPROOF
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Yuck, Green Day had it's moments in the mid 90's with Dookie and Isomniac as it teetered the punk line, then went sell-out and has been about crap since.

PaintballCLE
05-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Yuck, Green Day had it's moments in the mid 90's with Dookie and Isomniac as it teetered the punk line, then went sell-out and has been about crap since.

this coming from a guy who likes creed

Bronx33
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
All the members of greenday are extemely talented iam really impressed with the drummer tre cool.

Moreno Knows Best
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM

L-O-L

frerottenextelway
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the review.

A bit OT, and I know this has been out awhile, but I finally got The Offspring's new album and was pleasently surprised. It's worth picking up for people that had written them off.

Carmelo15
05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Green Day is garbage.

bronco militia
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
another angry lefty with a guitar...

yawn...

Mogulseeker
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Good info, I'll defiantly check it out. Green Day Dookie was my first CD I ever owned, and still love it to this day!

Defiant? That's rather bitter... no longer a Green Day fan?

bronco militia
05-03-2009, 08:10 PM

strong

:strong:

Punisher
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Green Day is garbage.

I won't say that there pretty good

Bronx33
05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Green Day is garbage.

Run along and go listen to your rap.

FADERPROOF
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
this coming from a guy who likes creed

past tense, brainiac. And did you see the concerts im going to this summer? Green day doesnt quite fit my style.

PaintballCLE
05-04-2009, 09:25 AM
past tense, brainiac. And did you see the concerts im going to this summer? Green day doesnt quite fit my style.

no i didnt see, but im just joking around. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Smiling Assassin27
05-04-2009, 10:12 AM
2 words: Chickenfoot

er, maybe that's one word...

Evenrude
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll definitely check it out.

Are the new songs political?

Whether it's Green Day, Steve Earle or Ted Nugent, I like it better when they leave the politics alone....

HorseHead
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the review...I like Green Day...

That being said, the best band going these days, and it's not even close...

My Morning Jacket....

SportinOne
05-04-2009, 01:36 PM

My Morning Jacket....

For a variety of reasons, you are 100% correct. As popular as they are, they still haven't completely "caught on" yet and I'm sooooo happy about that. I hope their next album is even more eccentric than their last.. I work with a bunch of sorority girls and any time I bring them up they are like, "Who?" "Is that a punk band or something?"

I'd like to keep it that way.

Speaking of MMJ, and Horses, do you like Band of Horses? A lot of people compare them to MMJ but despite the slight similarity in the lead singers voice it's completely different. Either way, i dig them and can't wait to see them at Bonnaroo. Skipped over them in favor of Junior Boys at Coachella.. worth it but hated to miss them.

FADERPROOF
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
no i didnt see, but im just joking around. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Ah thought you got that I like creed from that creed thread, where I said that I liked their 1st 2 CD's then their last one just turned me away.

PaintballCLE
05-12-2009, 08:22 PM
for anyone that cares............ you can listen to the new album online for free!

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/green_day/21st_century_breakdown/#

Tombstone RJ
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Just got my hands on a early copy of the new green day album.........21st century breakdown..... Here is my quick review.

let me start by saying although it wasn't bad......I wasn't a huge fan of american idiot. My 3 favorite green day albums are 1. Warning, 2. Dookie, 3. Nimrod.

This album goes back in time to when they actually put out their pseudo punk songs. They moved away from the ballads that they put into american idiot. I am not saying they aren't there, but its not the whole album as american idiot was.

I feel most of the songs came out as "overly simple" something i like from a band like green day. I am sure you have heard "know your enemy" on the radio and can tell what i am talking about.

Although the album isn't long.....it had a lot of fluidity to it. Songs seem to roll together, although each have their own distinctive sound. (thats the problem i had with americna idiot......man of the songs were kind of bland and tended to run together)

All in all, for being a "past their prime" pseudo punk band.........the album is really good and worth the 9.99 bestbuy is offering it for on may 15th when it is released. Fans of the old school green day, and the new fans will both like this album.

I saw Green Day back in 2001 at the Fillmore in Denver. It was a great show and my soon to be full time g-friend was at that concert... I got some action that night, I'm tell'n ya... or was that the Billy Idol concert... it's all one big drunken blurrrrrr....

PaintballCLE
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
best songs on the album..........See the light, and horseshoes and handgernades.

FADERPROOF
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I saw Green Day back in 2001 at the Fillmore in Denver. It was a great show and my soon to be full time g-friend was at that concert... I got some action that night, I'm tell'n ya... or was that the Billy Idol concert... it's all one big drunken blurrrrrr....

So it's been 8 years and she's still a "soon to be" girlfriend?

cutthemdown
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
So I bought the album for a friend but did burn it into my collection first. I listened to a few songs and can't stop thinking to myself that Green Day sounds like REO Speedwagon. I know crazy but they do same sort of beats, some sort of breaks, and even the vocals and harmonys sound like REO Speedwagon. Of course production sound different but really that's who they remnd me of.

Punk rock? Hell no that is like soft alternative rock/pop rock.

PaintballCLE
05-24-2009, 09:28 AM
So I bought the album for a friend but did burn it into my collection first. I listened to a few songs and can't stop thinking to myself that Green Day sounds like REO Speedwagon. I know crazy but they do same sort of beats, some sort of breaks, and even the vocals and harmonys sound like REO Speedwagon. Of course production sound different but really that's who they remnd me of.

Punk rock? Hell no that is like soft alternative rock/pop rock.

well i would say to me they remind me more of the who rather than reo speedwagon, but thats not a bad example.

It also depends on the songs that you listend to.

there are a lot of "softer" ones on thie album, but on the other hand songs like "horseshoes and hand gernades" is a sound they never really had before. (kind of reminds me of the vines/hives)

The album is still very political (which i don't like) but it doesnt seem to be aimed at Bush, as much as America in general.

Listen to all the songs though, not just a few and you will see what im talking about.

Hogan11
05-28-2009, 01:57 AM
well i would say to me they remind me more of the who rather than reo speedwagon, but thats not a bad example.

It also depends on the songs that you listend to.

there are a lot of "softer" ones on thie album, but on the other hand songs like "horseshoes and hand gernades" is a sound they never really had before. (kind of reminds me of the vines/hives)

The album is still very political (which i don't like) but it doesnt seem to be aimed at Bush, as much as America in general.

Listen to all the songs though, not just a few and you will see what im talking about.

I finally got around to checking out this release and I gotta say that I really much perfer the Foxboro Hot Tubs project over this. I'm really disappointed by it.

Much of the blame can be placed at the feet of producer Butch Vig, whose big time production dulls the sound and blunts the attack....they would've been much better served under Hot Tubs producer Chris Dugan or someone like Steve Albini than Vig.

Cutthemdown mentioned a REO influence (and Billie Joe certainly is sounding more like Kevin Cronin with every release), but I detect the influence of something much more hidious than that on this release...Queen Yikes! Not only does the title track sound like Green Day trying to do some sort of weird Sweet/Queen hybrid thing, but that Brian May multitracked guitar sound surfaces time and time again throughout the album much to it's deteriment. The band overcomes all this on occasion (like on "Know Your Enemy" & "See The Light"), but much like in the case of American Idiot I can't see the experiments the band attempts on these concept albums aging very well over the long haul.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

cutthemdown
05-28-2009, 06:22 AM

My Morning Jacket....

I caught there Live Austin City Limits thing. By the way people that is a great show everyone should record and watch those concerts.

I just wasn't that into it, but it was interesting.

Maybe I will listen to some more of it and see if I can get what you are hearing.

PaintballCLE
05-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I finally got around to checking out this release and I gotta say that I really much perfer the Foxboro Hot Tubs project over this. I'm really disappointed by it.

Much of the blame can be placed at the feet of producer Butch Vig, whose big time production dulls the sound and blunts the attack....they would've been much better served under Hot Tubs producer Chris Dugan or someone like Steve Albini than Vig.

Cutthemdown mentioned a REO influence (and Billie Joe certainly is sounding more like Kevin Cronin with every release), but I detect the influence of something much more hidious than that on this release...Queen Yikes! Not only does the title track sound like Green Day trying to do some sort of weird Sweet/Queen hybrid thing, but that Brian May multitracked guitar sound surfaces time and time again throughout the album much to it's deteriment. The band overcomes all this on occasion (like on "Know Your Enemy" & "See The Light"), but much like in the case of American Idiot I can't see the experiments the band attempts on these concept albums aging very well over the long haul.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

lol yeah not to mention they play "we are the champions" and "killer queen" on tour lol.

But I agree on the production, terrible!

He tried to make it clean sounding (which i don't mind) but it deffinatly takes away from the crunch of te guitars ect....

So if i Had to guess ahead of time.
the singles will probably be:
1. Know your enemy
2. 21 Guns
3. Last of the american girls
4. Static age?
5. Title track?

Hogan11
05-28-2009, 08:13 AM
lol yeah not to mention they play "we are the champions" and "killer queen" on tour lol.

But I agree on the production, terrible!

He tried to make it clean sounding (which i don't mind) but it deffinatly takes away from the crunch of te guitars ect....

So if i Had to guess ahead of time.
the singles will probably be:
1. Know your enemy
2. 21 Guns
3. Last of the american girls
4. Static age?
5. Title track?

They play "Killer Queen" on tour? Do they play these songs straight up? Wow

IMHO, Queen is a frightening influence for a band like this. The problem is that they're appearing to fall into that cycle where the songs decline as their ambitions soar. Much like say, The Smashing Pumpkins whose infatuation with 70's heartland art rock eventually overwhelmed the overall quality of their output and ultimately brought them down.

PaintballCLE
05-28-2009, 08:23 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYheOpS03bk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYheOpS03bk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PaintballCLE
05-28-2009, 08:25 AM
killer queen and bohiman rhapsody they dont play the full songs, they just mix in a bit in the middle of their songs. They play part of BR in blvd of broken dreams. I forget what killer queen was in...........they played it back in 2001 at the nautica pavillion back in cleveland.....they haven't played it recently.

Hogan11
05-28-2009, 08:33 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYheOpS03bk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYheOpS03bk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A straight up cover.....wow, that was unsettling. I would've thought they'd at the very least speed it up some or treat it with some sort of irony.

PaintballCLE
05-28-2009, 08:43 AM
A straight up cover.....wow, that was unsettling. I would've thought they'd at the very least speed it up some or treat it with some sort of irony.

lol yeah thats one thing ive noticed about them.....when they cover a song, they always play it as its original.....no changes.

Hogan11
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Did you care for the whole Foxboro Hot Tubs thing Bleed?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRECqXfeF8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRECqXfeF8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PaintballCLE
05-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Did you care for the whole Foxboro Hot Tubs thing Bleed?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRECqXfeF8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRECqXfeF8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

honestly i never checked it out......... i wasnt a big fan of the network so i never checked out this one.

Hogan11
05-30-2009, 09:47 AM
honestly i never checked it out......... i wasnt a big fan of the network so i never checked out this one.

Oh I highly recommend it for many reasons:

1) It's not as overproduced as the last two outings
2) It's much much looser than either 21st or Idiot, so it swings better, rocks harder and is much more wild than the last two official releases
3) They actually sound like they're having fun.....that's missing from the last two albums which are kinda bogged down by the desire to make serious statements
4) It's extremely catchy and not only holds up to repeated listenings, but gets better the more it's spun

It's just my own personal bias here, but few things are more fun that garage rock done like this and they do it very well...well enough to kinda make you wish they'd go in this direction full time.