PDA

View Full Version : Draftguys' UDFA grade

s0phr0syne
05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
They have complete grades for the AFC at the link, and also have posted grades for NFC UDFA.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/udfa_grades_-_afc/

Denver Broncos

LB Braxton Kelley, Kentucky
LB Jeff Schweiger, San Jose State
OT Marcus Gordon, Kentucky State
RB Kestahn Moore, Florida
WR Travis Shelton, Temple
DE Rulon Davis, Cal-Berkeley
WR Nate Swift, Nebraska
DT Chris Baker, Hampton
WR David Grimes, Notre Dame
OT Stanley Bryant, E. Carolina
LB Lee Robinson, Alcorn State
DT Everette Pedescleaux, N. Iowa
TE Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas
CB Dominique Johnson, Jackson State
WR Lucas Taylor, Tennessee
CB Tony Carter, Florida State

Here’s your top UDFA class. They didn’t address the front seven as much as most people wanted them to in the draft, but Rulon Davis is a born 3-4 DE and an Iraq tested marine, Pedescleaux has tons of upside, Robinson could end up being a beast of an ILB if he’s smart enough to handle the position, and Chris Baker is one of the few guys in the draft class who has the frame to play 3-4 NT. I also think Tony Carter will stick as a nickel/dime corner, and Nate Swift is an underrated, hard-nosed wideout.

Grade: A+

telluride
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
:)

Florida_Bronco
05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I like to see that we picked up a Cornhusker in Nate Swift. :) He's not a super talent, but he's a smart, hard worker in the same mold as Rod Smith and Brandon Stokely. I'd like to see him find a spot on the team.

lostknight
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I like what we did with the UDFA's. It makes up for the botched draft (almost).

footstepsfrom#27
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I like the three D-line pickups. Hopefully at least one sticks. BTW...why did PJ Hill, the Wisconsin RB not get drafted? Four 1000 year seasons and he's not worth even a 7th? Who knows what's hiding in the FA woodpile...Woodyard for example.

Borks147
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
so no one picked up worrell williams? djs little bro?

no-pseudo-fan
05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
WR Rod Smith signed with the Chargers

barryr
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
CB D.J. Johnson, Jackson State
WR Nate Swift, Nebraska
DT Chris Baker, Hampton

I think the guys in bold have the best chances to make the team. I think the 2 Johnsons from Jackson St. are the same guy, but not 100%.

s0phr0syne
05-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I think the 2 Johnsons from Jackson St. are the same guy, but not 100%.

Yeah, as far as I know, you're right. I'm gonna edit that

s0phr0syne
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
My list of players I think make the 53-man cuts:

DT Chris Baker, Hampton

Practice Squad makers (including any of the above):

WR Nate Swift, Nebraska

SonOfLe-loLang
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the three D-line pickups. Hopefully at least one sticks. BTW...why did PJ Hill, the Wisconsin RB not get drafted? Four 1000 year seasons and he's not worth even a 7th? Who knows what's hiding in the FA woodpile...Woodyard for example.

Didnt PJ just get arrested a couple months back?

SonOfLe-loLang
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
My list of players I think make the 53-man cuts:

DT Chris Baker, Hampton

Practice Squad makers (including any of the above):

WR Nate Swift, Nebraska

everette seems incredibly raw. Not sure he gets a roster spot, but a PS one for sure

footstepsfrom#27
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Didnt PJ just get arrested a couple months back?
Maybe...that doesn't stop a lot of teams.

Kaylore
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
So 44 new players in the locker room. That's 9 shy of complete roster for the season. Obviously not all of them will stick, but this will be a very very different team this year.

I'm excited about all the rookies. I think this team is going to be much tougher this year. Gone are the days of our crappy finesse team! Of course we might still have a crappy team, but at least they won't be finesse! :)

Popps
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Chris Baker is one of the few guys in the draft class who has the frame to play 3-4 NT

Interesting.

Elway777
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Broncos did a great job in getting undrafted free agents.

BMarsh615
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
CB D.J. Johnson, Jackson State
WR Nate Swift, Nebraska
DT Chris Baker, Hampton

I think the guys in bold have the best chances to make the team. I think the 2 Johnsons from Jackson St. are the same guy, but not 100%.

The guy from N. Iowa might have been the best UDFA we signed.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GH9lJT3lK8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GH9lJT3lK8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-01-2009, 03:57 PM
so no one picked up worrell williams? djs little bro?

Worrell Williams was invited to a tryout at 49ers mini-camp this weekend. He chose the Niners over the Steelers.

Rabb
05-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I am very much pulling for Tony Carter, I think he could be a major steal for us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblQrQnNuCc

I don't know how to post a purty video

Punisher
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Rulon Davis could start in ST

Elway777
05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I really wanted Willie Williams , top 10 talent. Tyler Roehl, Roehl is a Hillis Clone. Phillip Hunt , Another Dumervil but better tackler not as good pass rusher.

lostknight
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Rulon Davis and Chris Baker are my two picks for making the team. My surprise pick is Swift. He makes plays happen.

Paladin
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GH9lJT3lK8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GH9lJT3lK8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sure looks like a brawler....

DBroncos4life
05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
They have complete grades for the AFC at the link, and also have posted grades for NFC UDFA.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/udfa_grades_-_afc/

Denver Broncos

WR Nate Swift, Nebraska
DT Chris Baker, Hampton

Hereís your top UDFA class. They didnít address the front seven as much as most people wanted them to in the draft, but Rulon Davis is a born 3-4 DE and an Iraq tested marine, Pedescleaux has tons of upside, Robinson could end up being a beast of an ILB if heís smart enough to handle the position, and Chris Baker is one of the few guys in the draft class who has the frame to play 3-4 NT. I also think Tony Carter will stick as a nickel/dime corner, and Nate Swift is an underrated, hard-nosed wideout.

Grade: A+

I drafted those players in the mock draft. Nate Swift equals SB.

Florida_Bronco
05-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I drafted those players in the mock draft. Nate Swift equals SB.

I got Nate Swift in the other mock.

Popps
05-02-2009, 01:09 AM
The street FA group is almost as exciting as the draft these days. It may turn up nothing, or you may strike gold. Either way, you're not going to spend any draft picks and hardly any money in the process. Gotta love it.

I have a good feeling about a few of these guys after watching their vids.

Rulon Davis may have slid under the radar because of his injury situation, and Robinson looks very solid.

400HZ
05-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Scouts gagged when he took his shirt off at the combine.

Lev Vyvanse
05-02-2009, 09:54 AM

This guy started 8 out of 28 games for Northern Iowa his junior and senior year.

lostknight
05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Ironically, out week-ass draft might have helped here a lot. Agents route UDFA's to teams that have real needs and thus are actually likely to keep UDFA's around. Since we have so many needs that we didn't address in the draft, it made it a lot easier for D-line talent to come here for a shot at the big game.

Baker has by far the most risk/reward to him. Rulon should be a special teams nightmare. Swift strikes me a lot like Rod Smith. Player with something to prove, and a history of getting it done.

s0phr0syne
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Ironically, out week-ass draft might have helped here a lot. Agents route UDFA's to teams that have real needs and thus are actually likely to keep UDFA's around. Since we have so many needs that we didn't address in the draft, it made it a lot easier for D-line talent to come here for a shot at the big game.

Baker has by far the most risk/reward to him. Rulon should be a special teams nightmare. Swift strikes me a lot like Rod Smith. Player with something to prove, and a history of getting it done.

yeah, i'm sure the fact that we were paying large signing bonuses had nothing to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the UDFAs came here, and even in paying them large signing bonuses, it's a good deal in the long run if they pan out.

But it has a lot more to do with where the money is and who's willing to pay it up front versus the "team needs" and "opportunity to compete" BS that the agents and media will feed you.

SportinOne
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
PJ Hill got drunk and, to my knowledge, drove off the road and into someone's yard. That last part could be made up, who knows, I'll check google, but whatever happened happened about 4 blocks from where I work.

SportinOne
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3987969

MADISON, Wis. -- Former Wisconsin running back P.J. Hill has been arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and leading police on a chase.
The Wisconsin State Journal reports the 22-year-old Hill was arrested around 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning.
The newspaper, citing court documents, says police were called to a campus-area gas station after a vehicle hit a guard rail and left. Police spotted the car at a traffic light.
The driver fled. Police gave chase until the car crashed into a retaining wall. Hill was arrested at gunpoint.
Hill was released from jail Monday on a signature bond. His attorney didn't immediately return messages Monday.
Hill is the third-leading rusher in Wisconsin history and eligible for the NFL draft.

lostknight
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah, i'm sure the fact that we were paying large signing bonuses had nothing to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the UDFAs came here, and even in paying them large signing bonuses, it's a good deal in the long run if they pan out.

But it has a lot more to do with where the money is and who's willing to pay it up front versus the "team needs" and "opportunity to compete" BS that the agents and media will feed you.

There were teams that were paying better then us this time around. That being said, we definitly paid for more, which is great. High reward, low monetary risk. Since "everyone" (save Champ Bailey and our new S) have to compete for their job, it's a good time to target UDFAs.

Gcver2ver3
05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
This guy started 8 out of 28 games for Northern Iowa his junior and senior year.

yikes...

JCMElway
05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
One thing that is interesting about the Broncos list is that they did not pick up a kicker. McD must be fairly comfortable with Prater.

And who was the other punter we brought in to compete with Kern?

Lev Vyvanse
05-02-2009, 03:57 PM
yikes...

The worst part is it wasnít because of injury. He just couldn't beat out the competition at Northern Iowa.

I love his attitude though.
Everybody asks me the same question: 'Where you going to be drafted?' I have no idea. It really doesn't matter, except for the money they'll give me.;)