PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Numbers

PRBronco
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Does this sound like something you might be interested in?

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-rookies-numbers/

Tom Brandstater - 3
Britton Colquitt - 4
Kenny McKinley - 11
Travis Shelton - 13
Lucas Taylor - 17
Knowshon Moreno - 27
David Bruton - 30
Alphonso Smith - 33
Darcel McBath - 34
D.J. Johnson - 35
Tony Carter - 37
Kestahn Moore - 38
Braxton Kelley - 48
Lee Robinson - 51
Jeff Schweiger - 53
Robert Ayers - 56 Intriguing!
Blake Schlueter - 63
Everette Pedescleaux - 64
Rulon Davis - 65
Stanley Bryant - 68
Seth Olsen - 70
Chris Baker - 71
Marcus Gordin - 75
Richard Quinn - 81
David Grimes - 82
Nate Swift - 83
Marquez Branson - 85

In addition, recent veteran linebacker acquisition Nick Greisen will don No. 58.

TheReverend
05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
God damn it.

I wish people would leave 27 alone!

no-pseudo-fan
05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought so too. I knew he would play LB, but to take Al Wilson's #.

TheReverend
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
And a pussy like Bruton wearing 30 is a smack in the face too.

Rock Chalk
05-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Agreed Rev.

27 was Atwaters number, and then with what happened to DWill, I just dont want to see it anymore.

30 isnt so bad, but good god at least a good player should wear it.

TheChamp24
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
David Grimes - 82

How dare he take the number of this Bronco legend!
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-37/33-37594-F.jpg

Punisher
05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BAYERS%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B56%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p1368909_customback.chain%5D
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BMORENO%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B27%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p2754894_customback.chain%5D
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BSMITH%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B33%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p2754894_customback.chain%5D

broncofan7
05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
And a p***Y like Bruton wearing 30 is a smack in the face too.

I have seen you rip on Bruton in two different threads --why is your take so negative on him? I am not familiar with him to be honest (and yeah, #30 should be off limits too)

Bigdawg26
05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I think if anybody were to wear 30 it shouldnt been knowshon (after another pretty good UGA RB who had a slow 40 time). But a better question is why isnt that number and 27(Steve Atwater) retired??????

BroncoMan4ever
05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Moreno Bruton and Ayers have a lot to do to become worth of their numbers.

i would have been ok with Moreno wearing 30. need a RB to make that number relevant again after Bell was worthless in it.

i don't think with Atwater and then DWill that anyone should wear 27 anymore

I think Ayers chose 56, because of Wilson. both Tennessee guys, i just hope he does the number proud.

no-pseudo-fan
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
30 Should be off limits, glad that Knowshon didn't take it. Too much pressure.

BroncoMan4ever
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I think if anybody were to wear 30 it shouldnt been knowshon (after another pretty good UGA RB who had a slow 40 time). But a better question is why isnt that number and 27(Steve Atwater) retired??????

Bowlen thinks that the only numbers worth retiring are guys who have Elway type impact to the franchise. it's why number 80 isn't retired and should be.

and 27 shouldn't be worn because of Atwater and what happened to DWill

s0phr0syne
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Whatever, numbers aren't people. None of them should be "off limits" IMO, but obviously I'm in the minority with that belief.

thanks for posting the numbers man!

outdoor_miner
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
In addition, recent veteran linebacker acquisition Nick Greisen will don No. 58.

OMG! What about Nate!?!? How quickly everyone forgets our fierce any loyal warrior at middle linebacker. It's a shame, if you ask me. A damn shame.

DeuceOfClub
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Not even one in the 90-99 range...

(D-line numbers)

outdoor_miner
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Travis Shelton - 13

Will the disrespect ever end??? These guys are making a mockery of our history!!!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01jw8oT2Ui5PD/340x.jpg

Florida_Bronco
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
God damn it.

Why?

Florida_Bronco
05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Whatever, numbers aren't people. None of them should be "off limits" IMO, but obviously I'm in the minority with that belief.

thanks for posting the numbers man!

I agree.

outdoor_miner
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
How dare he take the number of this Bronco legend!

Crap - you made this joke before me and I didn't even see it. Rep to you, good sir!

Broncosfreak_56
05-01-2009, 01:08 PM
A number is a number. We can't make them off limits because people have sentimental ties to them. That is just stupid.

cmhargrove
05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
God damn it.

Puh----leeeeeease!

Gimme a break about 27. Whomever wears the number should do it with pride, and do it justice with their efforts. We don't need to create a macabre scene about #27. Darrent was a man of so much enthusiasm, he would probably be the first to applaud Knowshon.

Knowshon will make that number great again for the Broncos. I'm proud for him to wear it.

supermanhr9
05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Let them wear em,,,,Steve Atwater is probably my favorite of all time, and it's horrible what happened to D Will, but it's their legacy we remember not their number. I guarantee if you asked (or could ask) either one they wouldn't care.

And #30 is totally available to anyone who wants it. TD was the man, but he doesn't deserve his # retired. I would have liked it more if Knowshon took 30 though.

As for #56, I love that Ayers took it, Al probably does too. Too much is being made of this.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Bowlen thinks that the only numbers worth retiring are guys who have Elway type impact to the franchise. it's why number 80 isn't retired and should be.

80 should absolutely not be retired. Dude went to 3 Pro Bowls and never made an All-Pro team, that's not number retired worthy.

Crushaholic
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I was all for a one-year moratorium on 27, but that should be the extent of the ban. The Broncos had to move on with issuing 27 to another player, and it might as well be our #1 pick...

supermanhr9
05-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm gonna get crap for this, but I like Bowlens approach, you have to put up Elway #'s to get retirement. Now the only reason I think 27 is touchy is because of D WIll, however,,, man I'm gonna get ripped for this,,, D Will did not put up good #'s when he did play. We wore the #27 for a while remembering him, but those #'s are perfectly open to anyone who thinks they deserve it. RIP D WILL

goldengopher1976
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
God damn it.

Whatever the jersey says, it will always belong to Atwater.

Popps
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Marcus Gordin - 75

75 was my high school number.

Wear it with pride, Marcus! (Or at least make the team.)

Inkana7
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Agreed Rev.

27 was Atwaters number, and then with what happened to DWill, I just dont want to see it anymore.

30 isnt so bad, but good god at least a good player should wear it.

I'm inclined to agree, but I think it's just a matter of not having enough numbers to avoid it. We signed a ton of dudes.

BroncoFiend
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
80 should absolutely not be retired. Dude went to 3 Pro Bowls and never made an All-Pro team, that's not number retired worthy.

Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams are just popularity contests. That guy is what you want every player on your team to be. I would have no problem retiring his number.

However I know fans get a little 'retire number' crazy, because they have an affection for certain players. Rod was one of a kind though.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
80 should absolutely not be retired. Dude went to 3 Pro Bowls and never made an All-Pro team, that's not number retired worthy.I agree Smith's number shouldn't be retired. Smith did indeed make a first team All-Pro team. My football encyclopedia credits him with first team All-Pro honors in both 2000 and 2001.

prodigalson139
05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
To some who think D-Will is forgotten by the new regime

Moreno to wear special number in Denver
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

No. 27 is back in circulation in Denver.

The number was put on hiatus as a tribute to slain cornerback Darrent Williams. The popular Williams, who was 24 at the time of his death, was shot and killed in downtown Denver on Jan. 1, 2007, hours after the team's season ended.

After not being used the past two seasons, the number will be worn by Denver rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. The Broncos picked Moreno, out of Georgia, with the 12th choice in last weekend's draft. He is expected to be the starting running back for an offense that may become more run-oriented in the wake of the Jay Cutler trade to Chicago.

Moreno, who wore No. 24 in college (that's worn by All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey in Denver), asked for the number this week. The Broncos then called Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams, to ask permission to use the number. The Williams family called the Broncos back and gave their blessing for Moreno to wear the number -- on one condition.

They plan to ask Moreno to donate a few hours of his time each month to the Darrent Williams Teen Center, which was opened in a low-income part of Denver last May to honor the Williams' memory. Moreno wore the number at the team's minicamp practice Friday.

"We knew that number wasn't going to be on the shelf forever," said Troy Asmus, the Williams family's spokesman. "We would like Knowshon to be part of the community center to help with the growth and maturation of these kids."

BroncoMan4ever
05-01-2009, 04:29 PM

you're going to throw pro bowls at Rod as some sort of measure of how good he was?

he played for Denver. and outside of Denver, our players get no press at all.

he was the best receiver in franchise history, one of the top receivers in NFL history, had he played for the Jets or any other east coast team, he would have been almost an annual pro bowler, and would no doubt be considered a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer when his eligibility comes up.

his number deserves to be retired.

BroncoMan4ever
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams are just popularity contests. That guy is what you want every player on your team to be. I would have no problem retiring his number.

However I know fans get a little 'retire number' crazy, because they have an affection for certain players. Rod was one of a kind though.

i think a number should be retired when it becomes obvious that no other player is going to be capable of living up to the legacy of the player who wore the number originally. and i am sorry, but no one will ever match Rod Smith.

snowspot66
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Hopefully Moreno hits the hole like Atwater hit RB's.

TheChamp24
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Football players having their number retired is a lot different than other sports. There are what 53 people on the roster, and limited numbers to choose from for certain positions. Hard to retire a lot of numbers.

Beej
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
To some who think D-Will is forgotten by the new regime

Moreno, who wore No. 24 in college (that's worn by All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey in Denver), asked for the number this week. The Broncos then called Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams, to ask permission to use the number. The Williams family called the Broncos back and gave their blessing for Moreno to wear the number -- on one condition.

They plan to ask Moreno to donate a few hours of his time each month to the Darrent Williams Teen Center, which was opened in a low-income part of Denver last May to honor the Williams' memory. Moreno wore the number at the team's minicamp practice Friday.

"We knew that number wasn't going to be on the shelf forever," said Troy Asmus, the Williams family's spokesman. "We would like Knowshon to be part of the community center to help with the growth and maturation of these kids."

:thumbs:

Carmelo15
05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Not even one in the 90-99 range...

(D-line numbers)

There were no 90 numbers available.

TheReverend
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Puh----leeeeeease!

Gimme a break about 27. Whomever wears the number should do it with pride, and do it justice with their efforts. We don't need to create a macabre scene about #27. Darrent was a man of so much enthusiasm, he would probably be the first to applaud Knowshon.

Knowshon will make that number great again for the Broncos. I'm proud for him to wear it.

I'm talking about Atwater.

What happened to D-Will was a tragedy, but he wasn't a Bronco legend.

Atwater is. His number should be retired, imo.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
you're going to throw pro bowls at Rod as some sort of measure of how good he was?

he played for Denver. and outside of Denver, our players get no press at all.

he was the best receiver in franchise history, one of the top receivers in NFL history, had he played for the Jets or any other east coast team, he would have been almost an annual pro bowler, and would no doubt be considered a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer when his eligibility comes up.

his number deserves to be retired.

Oh God. This isn't the Broncos teams of the 70's and 80's minus Elway. Rod was well known and well respected through out the league. He got plenty of press. Rod was a very good WR, he was not a great WR.

I really don't care if he'd be a first ballot HOF as a Jet. He wouldn't deserve it as a Jet and he doesn't deserve it as a Bronco. He was very good, he wasn't great. He's 14th right now in career receptions, he'll probably be around 20th when he's eligible. There are currently 5 active players in the league with more receptions than him, and probably another 4 that could be considered contemporaries who are above him and retired. Within the next 3 seasons, he'll be passed by Randy Moss, Muhammad, Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, and possibly Ocho Cinco. Wayne, Steve Smith, Driver, and Boldin will all be knocking on the door at that point too. Rod played in an inflated passing era, he was a very good WR and will absolutely get in the ROF, he's just not a Hall of Famer.

He's 19th in receiving yards and will have Gonzalez, Ward, Muhammad, and Mason pass him in 3 years. Ocho Cinco, Wayne and Driver could also pass him.

He's way down the list in TDs.

TheReverend
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I have seen you rip on Bruton in two different threads --why is your take so negative on him? I am not familiar with him to be honest (and yeah, #30 should be off limits too)

He plays like he's half the size that he is.

I'd love for him to show up in camp, man up, and prove me wrong. Do I think it will happen? Nope.

Tankgunner95
05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Whatever the jersey says, it will always belong to Atwater.

100% agreed SIR!

Hercules Rockefeller
05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree Smith's number shouldn't be retired. Smith did indeed make a first team All-Pro team. My football encyclopedia credits him with first team All-Pro honors in both 2000 and 2001.

He was AP 2nd Team All Pro in '01.

Hogan11
05-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna get crap for this, but I like Bowlens approach, you have to put up Elway #'s to get retirement. Now the only reason I think 27 is touchy is because of D WIll, however,,, man I'm gonna get ripped for this,,, D Will did not put up good #'s when he did play. We wore the #27 for a while remembering him, but those #'s are perfectly open to anyone who thinks they deserve it. RIP D WILL

You'll get no crap coming from me, I actually agree with you.

Kenny McKinley - 11

Make me proud Kenny! :thumbsup:

Sassy
05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Too bad Knowshon didn't take #30

maher_tyler
05-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I thought so too. I knew he would play LB, but to take Al Wilson's #.

They're both out of Tenn...i don't have a problem with it. Althought i was hoping Moreno would don the #30.

maher_tyler
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Greatest UDFA of all time...i think it deserves to be retired..there were prolly a few other seasons where he deserved to go to (pro-bowl)!!

FantomForce
05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
God damn it.

AGREEED!

slyinky
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I could care less but why no mention of Jeff Schweiger wearing #53?

UberBroncoMan
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
And a p***Y like Bruton wearing 30 is a smack in the face too.

A Safety being 30 is a big WTF to me...

If I had it my way Knowshon would be #30 and Burton would be #27... It just doesn't make sense with it reversed...

Also... Ayers better not **** up the #56. I'm expecting a lot out of him with that number.

eddie mac
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Football players having their number retired is a lot different than other sports. There are what 53 people on the roster, and limited numbers to choose from for certain positions. Hard to retire a lot of numbers.

A team actually requires a minimum of 80 active numbers for camp.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM
He was AP 2nd Team All Pro in '01.

The Pro Football Encyclopedia credits Rod Smith for making Pro Football Weekly's first team All-Pro squads in both 2000 and 2001.

slyinky
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
The Pro Football Encyclopedia credits Rod Smith for making Pro Football Weekly's first team All-Pro squads in both 2000 and 2001.
There are various All-Pro Teams but the AP is the most recognized and Smith made the 2nd team in both 2000 and 2001, never 1st team.

slyinky
05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Speaking of Broncos wide receivers, Lionel Taylor was a 4-time first-team AP All-Pro while wearing the #87... Ed McCaffrey! You bastard!

baja
05-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Until another player does for the Broncos similar to what Elway did than do not retire any numbers, it diminishes Elway's accomplishments. If the player is real special than put him in the Ring of Fame but save number retirement for Elway like careers.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-02-2009, 06:38 AM

and when a guy gets elected to the HOF and they say he was an 8-time All-Pro, they're not talking about the PFW All-Pro team, they're talking about the AP All-Pro team.