PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young Released

Rabb
04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/young-waived/

The Broncos announced on Thursday that running back Selvin Young has been waived.
Young joined the Broncos in 2007 as a college free agent from the University of Texas. He played 23 games (13 starts) in two seasons with Denver, totaling 201 rushes for 1,032 yards (5.1 avg.) with two touchdowns and 38 receptions for 247 yards (6.5 avg.).

SouthStndJunkie
04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
He twisted an ankle while cleaning out his locker.

UberBroncoMan
04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
His dream of 2k is lost :(

bowtown
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Pick him up! He would totally predict breaking off 2k in our system!

Rabb
04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
He twisted an ankle while cleaning out his locker.

LOL

kamakazi_kal
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
hillis to the saints is looking a little more real now.

BroncoBuff
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Horrible ...

He will be claimed before the day is out - mark it down.

socalorado
04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
He twisted an ankle while cleaning out his locker. Boss Bailey also recieved an undisclosed injury during the incident.

:wiggle:

UberBroncoMan

SHUT YOUR ****ING MOUTH!

:)

bowtown
Horrible ...

If you mean claimed inactive for the rest of the season, then you might be right.

Gcver2ver3
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Horrible ...

well let them have him Buff...

that guy is average on his best day, and hurt the rest...

UberBroncoMan
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
If you mean claimed inactive for the rest of the season, then you might be right.

Nah he'll be claimed.

The kid is going on only 26 and he's had great YPC (5.0+) ever since he's been here.

ZONA
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I doubt Hillis is going anywhere. He is coming off season ending injury and many teams won't want to give up much to get a late round pick who only started a handful of games. He sure was impressive in those games and I love me some Hillis but I don't think there are many teams shopping for a big FB type of runner to anchor their backfield. His trade value has got to be low right now. It would be a huge mistake for us to let him go.

bowtown
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I would like to make a bet with someone that Selvin Young will not be claimed off waivers. Name your price.

PRBronco
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM

How in the hell did you come to that conclusion from this news?

BroncoLifer
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Hilarious!

outdoor_miner
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM

uhhhh - what? They drafted one running back, and now cut one running back. If anything, we now know who was lowest on the depth chart... Selvin Young.

HEAV
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Even Young knew this was coming.

outdoor_miner
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Rep to you, good sir!!!

TheManeMan
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Hillis wont be goig anywhere, why is everybody thinking that today?!?

ward63
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Peyton should not be traded! Keep him and have him as fb/rb.

kamakazi_kal
I doubt Hillis is going anywhere. He is coming off season ending injury and many teams won't want to give up much to get a late round pick who only started a handful of games. He sure was impressive in those games and I love me some Hillis but I don't think there are many teams shopping for a big FB type of runner to anchor their backfield. His trade value has got to be low right now. It would be a huge mistake for us to let him go.

unless mcd has no intention of using him that much, he'll try to get something for him. the FB isn't big in his O it's more TE blocking.
as said in the other thread the saints are looking to replace mccalister.

HEAV
uhhhh - what? They drafted one running back, and now cut one running back. If anything, we now know who was lowest on the depth chart... Selvin Young.

Plus they just cut the only real fullback yesterday. I think Hillis stays and plays FB/HB role this year.

SureShot
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Chin up BroncoBuff!

kamakazi_kal
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Peyton should not be traded! Keep him and have him as fb/rb.

a month ago I wouldn't have thought cutler would be gone .... his is. Shefler is on the block. Why does everyone think hillis is so safe. He had some good games, that's about it.

I would think with all the backs we have the ones with shannys fingerprints will be gone first and not the one's mcd signed.

bfoflcommish
04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Nah he'll be claimed.

The kid is going on only 26 and he's had great YPC (5.0+) ever since he's been here.

like ruben droughns, olandis gary, tatum bell, mike bell.......

BroncoMan4ever
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM

doubt it. Moreno, Arrington Buckhalter, Jordan, Torain and Hillis are all that remain.

with the almost certainty of Buckhalter and Torain being injured in the next couple months, leading to an IR spot for Buckhalter and more than likely release of Torain, means we have 4 RBs left on the roster who will be of any use. and given Hillis' versatility running, blocking and receiving, no way is he going anywhere.

our stable will be Moreno starting getting the majority of touches, Arrignton as a 3rd down back and return man, Jordan our goal line back, and Hillis as our Kevin Faulk, catching passes out of the backfield, spelling Moreno 5-10 times a game.

even though we have a lot of RBs on the roster, not many of them can be counted on.

BroncoMan4ever
04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
like ruben droughns, olandis gary, tatum bell, mike bell.......

Reuben Droughns was traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, Tatum was traded with Foster for Dre Bly, Mike Bell is currently on the Saints roster.

Olandis played for the Bills for a little but after he tore his ACL playing for us, he was never the same.

Atwater His Ass
04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Not a big Selvin fan, but I'd have thought he'd at least been given a chance to compete in camp before being cut.

BabyTO
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
a month ago I wouldn't have thought cutler would be gone .... his is. Shefler is on the block. Why does everyone think hillis is so safe. He had some good games, that's about it.

I would think with all the backs we have the ones with shannys fingerprints will be gone first and not the one's mcd signed.

Hills is not going nowhere.

People need to think about this for a bit before they even say this type of stuff. Cutler is gone because he doesn't fit our offense. And because he didn't want to be here. Sheffler is gone because he doesn't fit our offense, and he's always hurt.

If you knew anything about McDaniels then you wouldn't be surprised about those moves. And if you knew McDaniels then you'd realize that he's a big fan of versatile guys and especially fullbacks like Hillis. He's a great receiver, he can block, he can run the ball. Those are the kinds of fullbacks they have and had in NE.

Hillis is staying and he'll be a lot more active in the passing game this season.

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
:lombardi:

ZONA
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
The Saints want to replace McCallister with a healthy back I'm sure. There will be big question marks on Hillis after the type of season ending injury he had. Will he be healthy come to start the season? Maybe. I don't think the Saints want to risk that. I bet they prefer to have a back who was healthy going into the offseason.

I believe Jordan was picked up as insurance in the case that Hillis may not be ready come day 1 of the new season. I believe Josh hangs on to the rest of our back throughout camp and preseason and possibly might cut one at that time. I think once he see Hillis in action, there is no way he will cut him.

I honestly believe the only 2 backs who have a shot at getting traded or cut is Torrain and Jordan.

Br0nc0Buster
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Hills is not going nowhere.

People need to think about this for a bit before they even say this type of stuff. Cutler is gone because he doesn't fit our offense. And because he didn't want to be here. Sheffler is gone because he doesn't fit our offense, and he's always hurt.
If you knew anything about McDaniels then you wouldn't be surprised about those moves. And if you knew McDaniels then you'd realize that he's a big fan of versatile guys and especially fullbacks like Hillis. He's a great receiver, he can block, he can run the ball. Those are the kinds of fullbacks they have and had in NE.

Hillis is staying and he'll be a lot more active in the passing game this season.

Scheffler isnt going anywhere

Beantown Bronco
04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Sheffler is gone because he doesn't fit our offense, and he's always hurt.

No matter how much effort people go through to clearly disspell these myths, it apparently hasn't quite sunk in yet.

barryr
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I wish Young well. He played hard.

Hogan11
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Tatum better make room in that kiosk....he's gonna have company real soon

footstepsfrom#27
04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Why not? He's usless now that we have Quinn to block since the FB will be off the field. If this happens it will be: Quinn + 4th rounder for a 2nd and Hillis.

Just when you think it can't get worse...it could.

TonyR
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Horrible ...

Just curious why you think this. The guy is very average, at best, and with at least Moreno, Hillis, Buckhalter and Jordan ahead of him on the depth chart wouldn't have gotten many carries anyway. Way too soft.

BabyTO
04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Scheffler isnt going anywhere

Not sure why i said he's gone but i meant "Sheffler is on the tradeblock because..."

I wouldn't mind keeping him but he's not gonna be a weapon for us anymore. McDaniels doesn't care for receiving TE's.

cutthemdown
Young just not physical enough for Mcdaniels, you just knew he would be cut. Youngs 5 yrds a carry looks good until you remember how poor he was at picking up yrds after contact, yrds on short yardage etc.

telluride
Why not? He's usless now that we have Quinn to block since the FB will be off the field. If this happens it will be: Quinn + 4th rounder for a 2nd and Hillis.

You're kind of a doom and gloom guy, aren't you?

WyoLaw
04-30-2009, 03:47 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/young-waived/

The Broncos announced on Thursday that running back Selvin Young has been waived.

Young joined the Broncos in 2007 as a college free agent from the University of Texas. He played 23 games (13 starts) in two seasons with Denver, totaling 201 rushes for 1,032 yards (5.1 avg.) with two touchdowns and 38 receptions for 247 yards (6.5 avg.).

WyoLaw
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't suprise me at all.

Sassy
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2404572#post2404572

TheManeMan
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
http://orangemane.com/BB/search.php

BroncoBuff
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM

Man, that hurts ..... please don't start the bad karma.

OBF1
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM

My inside source told me that McDaniel's is going to trade Kamakazi_Kal to detroit for a half eaten toaster waffle. :thumbs:

BroncoBuff
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Just curious why you think this. The guy is very average, at best, and with at least Moreno, Hillis, Buckhalter and Jordan ahead of him on the depth chart wouldn't have gotten many carries anyway. Way too soft.

Soft ... I dunno.

His ankle injury in college was not a "soft" injury ... and he played pretty well for us for awhile. He got hurt, yeah ... but so did Hillis.

Selvin is a better back than Buckhalter, Arrington or Jordan in my opinion. More explosive.

Los Broncos
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I'll always remember that KC game where he made some sweet cuts.

cutthemdown
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM

I agree 100% and it's the same reason I think he keeps Hillis around despite the fact he won't keep many FB. Mcdaniels wants players at RB that hold on to the ball, can catch the ball, can block, can run the ball and whose overall game is opn the physical side.

Hillis fits every one of those so IMO he stays. Plus he is cheap.

Now Schefflers game is different. He's not physical, but unless Broncos get a decent offer for him I think Broncos hold onto him.

No reason to trade him for a pick next yr right now unless its a 2nd rounder.

Maybe you can feature Scheff in a few games this yr and up his value, especially if he stays healthy all yr.

cutthemdown
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll always remember that KC game where he made some sweet cuts.

He had some wiggle but just not enough power IMO. I always thought he went down easier then a drunk girl on spring break.

WyoLaw
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Why? Care to explain the connection?

outdoor_miner
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM

I totally agree with this. I also strongly suspect that now that Alphonso Smith is on-board, we're going to be looking to deal Champ. I suspect we'll get a fourth in 2011 due to Champ's recent health problems. I also heard that McDaniels isn't a fan of Ayers work ethic after asking him to run a lap. I'm guessing we get no more than a 3rd. So, really, we're looking down the barrel of the following trade: Champ + Cutler + Hillis for Quinn + 2010 4th rounder + 2011 4th + 2010 3rd + Alphonso Smith.

Tough time to be a Bronco fan...

Meck77
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Young just not physical enough for Mcdaniels, you just knew he would be cut. Youngs 5 yrds a carry looks good until you remember how poor he was at picking up yrds after contact, yrds on short yardage etc.

Well at least we didn't blow a 4th rounder on him like a Quentin Griffen or a *gulp* 3rd round pick on a Mo Clarette. Wait a second here I thought Shanny was the mastermind at drafting RBs?

~Crash~
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Well at least we didn't blow a 4th rounder on him like a Quentin Griffen or a *gulp* 3rd round pick on a Mo Clarette. Wait a second here I thought Shanny was the mastermind at drafting RBs?

let me get this right Mike Shanahan was the person that was the person that is to blame for Clarette ? Hilarious! so him being friends with our RB's coach had nothing to do with it .... I love all the hate this place has Mike Shanahan ....

~Crash~
04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
why the hell is it all about the bad things as of late in this joint.

Hogan11
04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
let me get this right Mike Shanahan was the person that was the person that is to blame for Clarette ? Hilarious! so him being friends with our RB's coach had nothing to do with it .... I love all the hate this place has Mike Shanahan ....

Shanahan could've told the RB coach no...but he didn't and thus, wasted a third round pick on Mr. Goose. Meck's right, it was ultimately his fault.

Meck77
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
why the hell is it all about the bad things as of late in this joint.

It's not. Dumping Selvin is a great thing. Just more junk that needed to be cleaned out. We Broncos fans were fooled.

Uh 56crash I guess you never got the memo. Shanny was all things Bronco during his tenure. ALL THINGS.

lostknight
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
PFT is reporting that Young failed his physical.

Hogan11
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM

No excuse for that...Selvin get to steppin'.

telluride
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM

He pulled his hamstring filling in his name on the medical form.

broncosteven
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Shanahan could've told the RB coach no...but he didn't and thus, wasted a third round pick on Mr. Goose. Meck's right, it was ultimately his fault.

Shanny also took a chance on an injured RB who only started a handfull of games at Georgia. He was only Broncos RB and one of 3-4 RBs ever to break off 2k.

People forget that.

Shanny tried repeatedly to get quality out of injured goods. Sometimes it worked but for every TD there was a tovessi or middlebrooks.

People love to bring up Clarett at the 3rd round comp pick but since the SB years minimize TD at 6th round. I don't even know who we got in 5th round or our 2 7th's but if he breaks off 2k in a couple of years it would have been a great pick.

I just hate that Shanny makes us back to back champions, something that only 6 other teams have done, and he is remembered for MoC.

DomCasual
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
The original was buried a third of the way down the first page.

cutthemdown
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
It's not. Dumping Selvin is a great thing. Just more junk that needed to be cleaned out. We Broncos fans were fooled.

Uh 56crash I guess you never got the memo. Shanny was all things Bronco during his tenure. ALL THINGS.

Look how none of Shanny's FA that are cut find work anywhere. If they do its as a bkup.

McCree, Manual, Engleberger, Webster, Winborn no one wants these guys, hell they could end up out of football all together.

Hogan11
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Shanny also took a chance on an injured RB who only started a handfull of games at Georgia. He was only Broncos RB and one of 3-4 RBs ever to break off 2k.

People forget that.

Shanny tried repeatedly to get quality out of injured goods. Sometimes it worked but for every TD there was a tovessi or middlebrooks.

People love to bring up Clarett at the 3rd round comp pick but since the SB years minimize TD at 6th round. I don't even know who we got in 5th round or our 2 7th's but if he breaks off 2k in a couple of years it would have been a great pick.

I just hate that Shanny makes us back to back champions, something that only 6 other teams have done, and he is remembered for MoC.

No one ever said it was the only thing he'll be remembered for.

Rabb
04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with this. I also strongly suspect that now that Alphonso Smith is on-board, we're going to be looking to deal Champ. I suspect we'll get a fourth in 2011 due to Champ's recent health problems. I also heard that McDaniels isn't a fan of Ayers work ethic after asking him to run a lap. I'm guessing we get no more than a 3rd. So, really, we're looking down the barrel of the following trade: Champ + Cutler + Hillis for Quinn + 2010 4th rounder + 2011 4th + 2010 3rd + Alphonso Smith.

Tough time to be a Bronco fan...

Jesus Christ you have to be kidding me

sources or get the **** out

Atwater His Ass
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Jesus Christ you have to be kidding me

sources or get the **** out

woosh

Drek
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Look how none of Shanny's FA that are cut find work anywhere. If they do its as a bkup.

McCree, Manual, Engleberger, Webster, Winborn no one wants these guys, hell they could end up out of football all together.

And they were STARTING here. No one else wants them to just fill out camp competition.

Soft ... I dunno.

His ankle injury in college was not a "soft" injury ... and he played pretty well for us for awhile. He got hurt, yeah ... but so did Hillis.

Selvin is a better back than Buckhalter, Arrington or Jordan in my opinion. More explosive.

Selvin isn't soft. Anyone who thinks that doesn't know **** about the guy. But when you say "his ankle injury" all I can think is "which one?"

The guy has nearly as much metal from the knee down in one leg as he does bone. We're talking lifelong surgical rods and screws in place. His a bigger injury risk than every other player on our roster, and thats saying something. Even if he didn't fail a physical, he's less likely to make it through camp healthy than Corel Buckhalter. How sad is that?

Not sure why i said he's gone but i meant "Sheffler is on the tradeblock because..."

I wouldn't mind keeping him but he's not gonna be a weapon for us anymore. McDaniels doesn't care for receiving TE's.

You should ask Ben Watson about that, nearly his entire career has been in a McDaniels lead offense and up until they added Moss and Welker in a single off-season he was the #1 or #2 target for New England on nearly every pass play.

And where's the proof that Scheffler is on the block? The only semi-substantive rumor we've heard is that the Eagles were interested and the Broncos weren't, with the writer presuming it'd take a 1st rounder to change their minds.

Hillis wont be goig anywhere, why is everybody thinking that today?!?

Because one writer heard from another writer that if the Saints don't sign James the Broncos would be one of three teams they might consider calling and if they were to call Hillis is one of the guys they might ask about.

And you thought people where going chicken little over the Tony Scheffler thing with no real merit, didn't you?

telluride
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
No one ever said it was the only thing he'll be remembered for.

No, we'll also remember him for the past three years of .500 ball. For Slowik and Bates. For the most epic late season collapse in NFL history. For signing Travis Henry. For booting Hixon. I could go on, but you get it. The SB trophies were nice, but that was a long, long time ago....

Chris
:lombardi:

BIGGER

telluride
woosh

:rofl:

azbroncfan
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Horrible ...

Serious?? An injury riddled weak scat back has a big market now days?

TheManeMan
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Because one writer heard from another writer that if the Saints don't sign James the Broncos would be one of three teams they might consider calling and if they were to call Hillis is one of the guys they might ask about.

And you thought people where going chicken little over the Tony Scheffler thing with no real merit, didn't you?

It was pure speculation by the writer, and nothing more!

IIRC,i think they were citing PFT for the trading Scheffler post, another grain of salt type thread.

azbroncfan
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Worst part of all is they all were week 1 starters last year.

Orange_Beard
04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
See ya.

maher_tyler
04-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Nah he'll be claimed.

So did T. Bell...

skpac1001
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
You should ask Ben Watson about that, nearly his entire career has been in a McDaniels lead offense and up until they added Moss and Welker in a single off-season he was the #1 or #2 target for New England on nearly every pass play.

I don't think the argument is that the Pats never look to TE's as a pass option. I think the argument is that TE's who aren't good blockers rarely see the field. As I understand it, David Thomas is the receiving (weak blocking) TE in the Pats system, and although he gets featured occasionally in a game, his stats won't make Scheff happy.

colonelbeef
04-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't think the argument is that the Pats never look to TE's as a pass option. I think the argument is that TE's who aren't good blockers rarely see the field. As I understand it, David Thomas is the receiving (weak blocking) TE in the Pats system, and although he gets featured occasionally in a game, his stats won't make Scheff happy.

you utilize the players you have. maybe the pats have never drafted a TE as talented at stretching the field as Sheffler?

You have to be a totally garbage coach if you are unable to utilize players like Cutler, Sheffler, and Hillis. 'System' is being so god damned overrated by some posters on this board

Natedogg
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
:(

He won't break off 2 K in our system.

cutthemdown
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Worst part of all is they all were week 1 starters last year.

People will be amazed at the difference Dawkins will make. Our safteys last yr were really really bad. Probably worst that NFL has ever seen.

skpac1001
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
you utilize the players you have. maybe the pats have never drafted a TE as talented at stretching the field as Sheffler?

You have to be a totally garbage coach if you are unable to utilize players like Cutler, Sheffler, and Hillis. 'System' is being so god damned overrated by some posters on this board

Maybe, but in my opinion Scheffler is a system TE, he is a west coast tight end. I think everyone else is looking for a versatile blocking/receiving dual threat out of the tight end position. In non-west coast offenses he is a big WR more then he is a TE. I do think he will be used, but not to the extent he is used to in a Shanny offense.

maher_tyler
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Soft ... I dunno.

Hilarious!

elsid13
04-30-2009, 05:47 PM

So you b****ing because Turner, a man that Shanahan trusted and respected for his work, told him that he thought MoC would fit the system? Freaking unbelievable. It about trusting your staff.

Shanahan wasn't omnipotent (no one is) when came to football players, but once he realized a mistake with any player he took care of it.

Hogan11
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
So you b****ing because Turner, a man that Shanahan trusted and respected for his work, told him that he thought MoC would fit the system? Freaking unbelievable. It about trusting your staff.

Shanahan wasn't omnipotent (no one is) when came to football players, but once he realized a mistake with any player he took care of it.

Biatching? Hardly...but I do hold Shanahan just as much accountable for his failures as I do his successes. What's so freaking unbelievable about that? ???

elsid13
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe, but in my opinion Scheffler is a system TE, he is a west coast tight end. I think everyone else is looking for a versatile blocking/receiving dual threat out of the tight end position. In non-west coast offenses he is a big WR more then he is a TE. I do think he will be used, but not to the extent he is used to in a Shanny offense.

Scheffer is no different then Gates, Heap, Dallas Clark all of whom aren't in WCO. TEs like Scheffer are more important then you make it out to be, because they force defensea to focus on the middle of the field and create one one coverage on the outside. And Scheffer isn't as bad a blocker as some on the board make him out to be.

elsid13
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Biatching? Hardly...but I do hold Shanahan just as much accountable for his failures as I do his successes. What's so freaking unbelievable about that? ???

Yes it is his "fault", because he was the man. But he was only as good as the folks working for him, and when a trusted proven member of your staff tell you something you believe him and execute.

For 3rd round comp pick with no signing bonus it not that big of issue as folk make this out to be. More team miss on players then are correct. McDaniels most like failed on over 50% of his picks last draft.

OBF1
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
oh, that explains it. Some posters just like to see their names in the headlines.

broncosteven
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
No, we'll also remember him for the past three years of .500 ball. For Slowik and Bates. For the most epic late season collapse in NFL history. For signing Travis Henry. For booting Hixon. I could go on, but you get it. The SB trophies were nice, but that was a long, long time ago....

I hate to be a shanny apologist but they were close in 2005. I feel 2005 was marginalized because Plummer quit on the team in 2006 causing a major rebuild with a rookie QB and a DC that couldn't adjust after starting 2006 as world beaters. Losing your QB and MLB who was heart of D was crippling.

Being forced to draft a QB who was Best Player Available may have set the team back because they did not draft for need...whoops! The arguement against Shanny was that he should have drafted for need but McStalin can draft BPA I am confused.

skpac1001
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Scheffer is no different then Gates, Heap, Dallas Clark all of whom aren't in WCO. TEs like Scheffer are more important then you make it out to be, because they force defensea to focus on the middle of the field and create one one coverage on the outside. And Scheffer isn't as bad a blocker as some on the board make him out to be.

I guess we have different opinions on his blocking, but I think Gates and Heap are much better blockers. I completely agree that pass catching threats at TE are extremely valuable, but I think good blocking is a prerequisite. Sort of like D linemen, the better they pass rush the more valuable they are, but if they can't stop the run, in most schemes they are situational players. Dallas Clark is a good comparison, and may be how he is used, but I think Clark is darn good underneath/ slot receiver type, whereas Scheff seems much more vertical to me.

~Crash~
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM

So you only remember the bad thing Shanahan did well if that floats your boat.

BigPlayShay
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
FWIW: Per a text from CBS 4 Selvin was released because he failed a physical. Young says he is interested in Houston.

broncosteven
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I guess we have different opinions on his blocking, but I think Gates and Heap are much better blockers. I completely agree that pass catching threats at TE are extremely valuable, but I think good blocking is a prerequisite. Sort of like D linemen, the better they pass rush the more valuable they are, but if they can't stop the run, in most schemes they are situational players. Dallas Clark is a decent comparison, and may be how he is used, but I think Clark is darn good underneath/ slot receiver type, whereas Scheff seems much more vertical to me.

I don't recall hearing the words Gates and blocking in the same setence before.

Heap is a good old fashioned player who I respect I guess of the 3 he is the better blocker.

I would like to think Sheff got his td's vs cover 2 teams but I have not studied film on him, just a feeling that he was able to split the seam due to his speed.

Cutler threw downfield more than we were used to with the Plummer and Griese era's.

BroncoBuff
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM

That is a realistic explanation.

broncosteven
04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
That is a realistic explanation.

I would also think it realistic for him not to make this team even if healty.

I thought Bell played better than Young and hope there is a spot on the roster for Bell this year.

People like giving out 2nd chances, why do they all go to drug/alcohol/abuse/manslaughter/dogslaughter guys?

Bell got a real job humping phones and made the most of his 2nd chance.

SoDak Bronco
04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I hope they don't give a physical to Petyon or Torrain

BigPlayShay
04-30-2009, 07:49 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.998524.html

The Broncos began thinning its stable of running backs on Thursday. After two seasons with the Broncos, Selvin Young was released by the team after he failed his physical.

broncofan2438
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
C ya, Selvin....thanks for nothing

BroncoBuff
04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Hilarious!

Think that's funny?

Selvin averaged 5+ ypc behind a gimpy, drugged-up Lepsis at left tackle, and who was it - George freaking Foster at right tackle? And Chris Myers and Chris Kuper were a totally inexperienced/rookie center-guard combo pressed into duty after Hamilton's and Nalen's injuries.

Pretty impressive.

bfoflcommish
04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Reuben Droughns was traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, Tatum was traded with Foster for Dre Bly, Mike Bell is currently on the Saints roster.

Olandis played for the Bills for a little but after he tore his ACL playing for us, he was never the same.

remind me again what ANY of them did after leaving denver?

Popps
04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Good luck to Selvin, but this isn't really a surprise or much of a story. He wouldn't have beaten out any of the other guys we have in here, anyway, imo.

Florida_Bronco
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
C ya, Selvin....thanks for nothing

Thanks for nothing? ???

Mile High Mojoe
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
A year ago he said he would rush for 2,000 yards now he'll be mowing 2,000 yards.

SoDak Bronco
04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for nothing? ???

Some fans are clueless..honestly, he came in as an undrafted FA and played his tail off. Thanks for busting your butt and coming in and earning a spot. I hope our UDFA's can follow your lead.. Good luck in the future.

Natedog24
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Some fans are clueless..honestly, he came in as an undrafted FA and played his tail off. Thanks for busting your butt and coming in and earning a spot. I hope our UDFA's can follow your lead.. Good luck in the future.

Amen!

ohiobronco2
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
This will likely bring an end to the McDaniels experience. I hope we sign Foneco to replace Young.

Crushaholic
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Denver just cut another FB a day or two ago. Hillis is our guy at that spot...

Hulamau
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Its really too bad. Selvin always had the right attitude and approach, he was just snake bit with a body prone to injury his whole career from college on. It just caught up to him. Maybe he can get healthy enough to catch a break as a decent third down backup for some team down the road. Best wishes to him.

Hulamau
04-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Unless we got something really significant in a trade, Hillis is here to stay. McD has talked extensively and in detail about how he would like to use Hillis and how he values his toughness and versitility. Plus, he has the right attitude and mojo McD wants to instill in this team as well.

OrangeRising
04-30-2009, 11:58 PM
I always liked Selvin Young. A FA success story even considering his release. It's so sad his body couldn't survive his determination because he seemed to run, block and receive very effectively.

As a matter of fact, I'm wondering why this had to happen now unless Denver is approaching the absolute roster limit. even then, a veteran RB isn't worth a look through the mini-camps at the very least?

Taco John
04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Selvin was cut? I'm starting to warm up to McDaniels. It drove me mad watching Slevin. I don't understand what anybody saw in him. .

Waitaminute - is Tatum Bell still on the roster?

BroncoDoug
05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Selvin was cut? I'm starting to warm up to McDaniels. It drove me mad watching Slevin. I don't understand what anybody saw in him. .

Waitaminute - is Tatum Bell still on the roster?

Nope, but tater bell isn't on the team anymore...

The Joker
05-01-2009, 03:51 AM
I wish Selvin well, always seemed to have a good attitude.

However, we'll not miss the guy at all. He was basically an average 3rd down/change of pace back.

Not a consistent enough runner to be a starter, didn't hit the hole with any authority and didn't get any tough yards. Too many 0 yard runs.

Has good hands though so he'll always have use as a 3rd down guy, but even then he lacks the extra gear to take one to the house.

elsid13
05-01-2009, 04:23 AM
According to the Post it was because of the neck injury he suffered last season. That tough way to go.

TheChamp24
05-01-2009, 04:35 AM

Amen brotha!
He was average RB, and easily replaceable.

El Guapo
05-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Another longhorn bites the dust.

Punisher
05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
He'll sign with the Texans and the 2nd week of Pre-Season

TheManeMan
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe Selvin and Tater can run their very own cell phone kiosk in one of the malls in Denver.

broncofan2438
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
FWIW: Per a text from CBS 4 Selvin was released because he failed a physical. Young says he is interested in Houston.

Houston takes our sloppy seconds

Rabb
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Selvin may be a great guy but he couldn't break a tackle or gain extra yards after contact to save his family.

Potential, sure...but that went bye bye a while ago.

Florida_Bronco
05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Selvin may be a great guy but he couldn't break a tackle or gain extra yards after contact to save his family.

Potential, sure...but that went bye bye a while ago.

I disagree. In 2007, he showed a penchant for spinning off tacklers. He wasn't going to run anyone over, but he wasn't Gaston Green 2.0 either.

It's too bad he was so plagued with injuries. I was hoping he would become a modern day Vaughn Hebron.

ElwayMD
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I guess we can say goodbye to this now :(

http://www.kcfootballchiefs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/super-bowl-trophy.jpg

BroncoBuff
05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Its really too bad. Selvin always had the right attitude and approach, he was just snake bit with a body prone to injury his whole career from college on. It just caught up to him. Best wishes to him.
Bingo

He came in as an undrafted FA and played his tail off. Thanks for busting your butt and coming in and earning a spot ... Good luck in the future.
Bang-o

I always liked Selvin Young. A FA success story even considering his release. It's so sad his body couldn't survive his determination because he seemed to run, block and receive very effectively.
Bong-o

TheChamp24
05-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Seriously, what did you people see in him that made you think he was a good RB?
He has more fumbles in his career than he does TD's.
In 2007, 1/3 of his yards came against playing the pathetic Chiefs.
He never caught a lot of passes, and was marginal running the ball. His ypc is greatly inflated with the "Barry Sanders" rule, breaking off a long run with a bunch of minimal gains thrown in there. Problem is, Young's long runs were rare.
Easily replaceable. Especially with Moreno now.

BroncoBuff
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Seriously, what did you people see in him that made you think he was a good RB?
*SIGH*

Again ... 5 yards per carry behind a gimpy, drugged up Lepsis; two raw kids Kuper at guard and center Myers (after Nalen went down in Week 5); a bloated Holland and an overrated Pears.

azbroncfan
05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
*SIGH*

Again ... 5 yards per carry behind a gimpy, drugged up Lepsis; two raw kids Kuper at guard and center Myers (after Nalen went down in Week 5); a bloated Holland and an overrated Pears.

You are getting too caught up on the stats and that 5 ypc. Why couldn't he find the endzone? What big game did he have in a meaningful game? He was a punt forcing machine except for a couple big runs against garbage opponents.

Beantown Bronco
05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
You are getting too caught up on the stats and that 5 ypc. Why couldn't he find the endzone? What big game did he have in a meaningful game? He was a punt forcing machine except for a couple big runs against garbage opponents.

When did we start talking about Clinton Portis?