PDA

View Full Version : HOllis Thomas?

rugbythug
04-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I know he is Big and Fat. But does he have anything left?

New Orleans Saints release defensive tackle Hollis Thomas
Posted by Mike Triplett, The Times-Picayune April 29, 2009 9:37AM
Categories: Saints

The New Orleans Saints have released defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, his agent Michael Bauer confirmed.

Thomas, 35, was scheduled to earn $1.4 million this season.

Thomas spent the past three seasons in New Orleans after a draft-day trade with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2006. The run-stuffer played a key role in the Saints' 2006 run to the NFC Championship Game.

He started 30 games in his three years with the Saints, including the playoffs, 123 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He missed the first half of last season after tearing a tendon in his left triceps during training camp. He was actually released by the team, then re-signed once he got healthy.

He finished the season with 10 tackles in limited action in eight games.

Thomas, who is listed at 6-foot, 335-pounds, has continually battled weight and conditioning issues with the Saints, which may have played a part in his release this year.

The Saints, who also released injured veteran Brian Young this week, are now somewhat thin at the defensive tackle spot behind starters Sedrick Ellis and Kendrick Clancy. They're counting on two players who did not play last season -- second-year pro DeMario Pressley, who missed his entire rookie season with a foot injury, and former Falcons veteran Rod Coleman, who signed with the Saints after spending a year away from football.

They also have two-year veteran Remi Ayodele, who appeared in six games with the Saints last year. And veteran end Paul Spicer should be able to slide inside and play some tackle.

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
well the Saints, who are not known for having a good defensive line, and who are now thin at DT, still felt he needed to go....

then i don't know if he's worth a look...

but then again...

PRBronco
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
well the Saints, who are not known for having a good defensive line, and who are now thin at DT, still felt he needed to go....

then i don't know if he's worth a look...

but then again...

I consider the Saints D line pretty good, they always stock it up with 1st rounders. (who actually tend to pan out, Jonathan Sullivan excluded)

Still not sure if I'd want Hollis here though, doesn't he have work ethic issues? Doesn't mesh well with our new theme.

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I consider the Saints D line pretty good, they always stock it up with 1st rounders. (who actually tend to pan out, Jonathan Sullivan excluded)

Still not sure if I'd want Hollis here though, doesn't he have work ethic issues? Doesn't mesh well with our new theme.

well they weren't bad against the run i suppose...but Hollis barely played...

pass...

cmhargrove
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I know he is Big and Fat. But does he have anything left?

I think our current regime will take conditioning as a huge component of success. If he can't run, he won't be invited.

I'd rather take a 310 lb. Thomas who still has wind, than a 330 lb. bag of goo.

barryr
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Probably better suited at his age as a DT in a 4-3.

The Moops
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Who cares . . . bring 'em in.

Remember the last game 52-21?!?!

We can't stop the run!

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Who cares . . . bring 'em in.

Remember the last game 52-21?!?!

We can't stop the run!

i'm not sure Hollis can either...

SonOfLe-loLang