PDA

View Full Version : Odd man out at RB?

Crushisback
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm assuming we keep Torain and Hillis due to thier cheap price tag.

azbroncfan
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Torain will get his 10 carries then we won't have to worry about him because of IR.

Irish Stout
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
You forgetting a couple? Perhaps Selvin Young or even Moore. We have seven RBs.

ward63
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Torain, Hall, Selvin and going out and saying....JJ Arrington

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Selvin Young needs to be cut at some point I would think. I think Arrington sticks around to work as 3rd down back. Hillis will be listed as a FB.

Moreno/Buckhalter carry most of the load if no injuries.

Torrain I would say if he's healthy will get a shot at being on the team.

Crushisback
You forgetting a couple? Perhaps Selvin Young or even Moore. We have seven RBs.

I didn't forget them. The poll would be worthless if they were on it.

Garcia Bronco
Young, Hall, and Torrain look like gone.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Selvin Young is gone. I think Buckhalter is the odd man out here,

lex
04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Its kind of ironic that Il Duce claims to be all about smart situational football when you consider that probably the smartest play made by a Bronco over the past two seasons that demonstrates good situational football was the play in the Buffalo game in 2007 when Selvin Young knocked the ball out of bounds. This was the play that saved the drive that led to the famed Elam field goal. It was the very first game of 2007.

Its ironic because I can see Young being one of the first to get the axe.

BroncoMan4ever
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm assuming we keep Torain and Hillis due to thier cheap price tag.

i'm assuming Torain and Young are the odd men out, and Buckhalter is reserving his spot on IR.

HEAV
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
J.J Arrington's health may get him cut.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Its kind of ironic that Il Duce claims to be all about smart situational football when you consider that probably the smartest play made by a Bronco over the past two seasons that demonstrates good situational football was the play in the Buffalo game in 2007 when Selvin Young knocked the ball out of bounds. This was the play that saved the drive that led to the famed Elam field goal. It was the very first game of 2007.

Wow, youre right. He should be in Mensa because he knocked the ball out of bounds.

kamakazi_kal
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
young, and hillis are gonzo.

their shanny draft picks, McD signed all three guys you want to cut and well..... has anything "normal" happened with regard to Denver this year.

Where's Plummer???
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
based on what i believe McD will do (not what i believe is right) i think moreno, jordan, and buck will be the starters. and he'll trash the rest. lets hope im wrong.

JCMElway
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I believe we'll keep Torain, Knowshon, Buckhalter, and L Jordan on the active roster, with Hillis at FB. If we keep 5 RB then Arrington sticks. It sets up a nice competition in camp. The only RB that will be guaranteed a spot is Knowshon, and perhaps Buckhalter.

lex
04-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Wow, youre right. He should be in Mensa because he knocked the ball out of bounds.

Nevermind the cafeteria. It was a smart play if you want to talk about sitauational football though.

BabyTO
04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
All 3 of them.

We keep Torain and Hillis.

McDman
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Nevermind the cafeteria. It was a smart play if you want to talk about sitauational football though.

It was a smart play and he may be a smart player but that doesn't mean he has the talent.

I think he is one of the weakest we have one the team, therefore he should be cut.

If he comes back and plays lights out I will happily admit I was wrong but I don't think he will. Look for him to be a Texan next year.

ward63
04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I see the depth being (as of right now):

Moreno
Buckhalter
Jordan
Hillis
Torain
Young
Moore

I forgot Hall was already gone

s0phr0syne
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Torain tore his ACL back in November, right? Players come back from that injury quicker than they used to, but I honestly still believe that ONE YEAR is required for a full/optimal recovery.

I think Torain could start off on PUP, and possibly on IR, which would give us flexibility with his spot on the roster in terms of not counting against the 53-man squad.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Young=crap
Buckhalter=been injured alot
Jordan=slow and plodding
Hillis=Fast and plodding
Torrain= still injured
Arrington=3rd down back

It's pretty obvious to me not only was Moreno possibly BPA, he is also needed desperately.

Does anyone think Arrington or Jordan could have saved us last yr? Do you feel comfortable relying on Buckhalter to carry the load?

I think the Moreno pick is looking pretty smart. Lost Cutler in backfield, get some talent to put back there because you need the ball going to talented players. Marshall, Royal and the TE will need some help now that Cutler isn't there to extend plays and throw ball all over field.

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Torain tore his ACL back in November, right? Players come back from that injury quicker than they used to, but I honestly still believe that ONE YEAR is required for a full/optimal recovery.

I think Torain could start off on PUP, and possibly on IR, which would give us flexibility with his spot on the roster in terms of not counting against the 53-man squad.

Torain is gone. I'm surprised that hasn't sunk in yet. Torain will not carry the ball for the Broncos again. He had great potential, but it wasn't to be.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I wonder how many RB we are actually going to keep?

I like Buckhalter, Moreno, and Hillis but after that I am not sure which one matters.

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
We're going to have to sign some backs. Tatum, hello?

lex
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
It was a smart play and he may be a smart player but that doesn't mean he has the talent.

I think he is one of the weakest we have one the team, therefore he should be cut.

If he comes back and plays lights out I will happily admit I was wrong but I don't think he will. Look for him to be a Texan next year.

Im not saying he should or will keep Young. All Im saying is that, the play I identified was probably the smartest play made by any member of the team that demonstrated situational awareness over the last 2 years.

Another one might be Stokleys play where he prevented Marshall from pulling out the black and white glove.

...but Youngs was definitely up there.

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Young=crap
Buckhalter=been injured alot
Jordan=slow and plodding
Hillis=Fast and plodding
Torrain= still injured
Arrington=3rd down back

It's pretty obvious to me not only was Moreno possibly BPA, he is also needed desperately.

Does anyone think Arrington or Jordan could have saved us last yr? Do you feel comfortable relying on Buckhalter to carry the load?

I think the Moreno pick is looking pretty smart. Lost Cutler in backfield, get some talent to put back there because you need the ball going to talented players. Marshall, Royal and the TE will need some help now that Cutler isn't there to extend plays and throw ball all over field.

3 healthy backs in April. You're dang right the team needs some backs.

ZONA
04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Who the hell knows what the pecking order is going to be. It's a circus backfield right now. Obviously Moreno will be the starter and get most of the carries but I think Josh will address the rest of the pecking order in camp and throughout preseason. Which tells me based on skills, size and athletic ability, it's got to be Hillis. The dude is gonna show Josh he's a weapon that you can't just sit on the bench for too long. I have no doubt coming out of camp Hillis will be #2 on the pecking order, and I wouldn't be too fast to assume Moreno will get more yards per carry then Hillis. Moreno goes about it in a different style but Hillis rips yards off in chunks and the guy who was healthy on the field last year IS a starting RB in this league. With both of them toting the pill, it's gonna be a nightmare for other teams.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Im not saying he should or will keep Young. All Im saying is that, the play I identified was probably the smartest play made by any member of the team that demonstrated situational awareness over the last 2 years.

Another one might be Stokleys play where he prevented Marshall from pulling out the black and white glove.

...but Youngs was definitely up there.

Young represents the softness that Broncos had become IMO. It's time to slobberknock defenses in the mouth and get physical. Broncos now have 2 big backs in Jordan and Hillis, 2 big inline bocking TE in Quinn and Graham, a big wr in Marshall and 2 big athletic OT. Kuper has good size also.

IMO broncos are going to be punishing defenses on the ground now that they have Moreno to go along with all that.

Royal and Moreno may not be big but they will add speed and agility to a pretty physical looking offense.

Elway777
04-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I think the Broncos keep Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington Jordon FB Hillis with Torain being put on PUP

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 10:43 PM
3 healthy backs in April. You're dang right the team needs some backs.

We go through these guys like toilet paper. We need to file an exemption with the NFL which allows Broncos to keep 20 RB on the roster so we don't run out before the end of the season.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Who the hell knows what the pecking order is going to be. It's a circus backfield right now. Obviously Moreno will be the starter and get most of the carries but I think Josh will address the rest of the pecking order in camp and throughout preseason. Which tells me based on skills, size and athletic ability, it's got to be Hillis. The dude is gonna show Josh he's a weapon that you can't just sit on the bench for too long. I have no doubt coming out of camp Hillis will be #2 on the pecking order, and I wouldn't be too fast to assume Moreno will get more yards per carry then Hillis. Moreno goes about it in a different style but Hillis rips yards off in chunks and the guy who was healthy on the field last year IS a starting RB in this league. With both of them toting the pill, it's gonna be a nightmare for other teams.

I think he thinks he knows already how he will use him. He may not know what Torain is able to do but IMO he is thinking this.

Moreno/Buckhalter
Jordan/Hillis
Arrington 3rd down situational player.

He will use Jordan and Hillis for short yardage.

Moreno/buckwheat will get most of the first and 2nd down carries

Arrington will be used in certain situations and on some 3rd downs.

If the Broncos line up a FB it will probably be Hillis.

jsco70
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Personally, I was surprised when Denver picked up Buckhalter. I think he will get the ax.

Moreno - everydown back
Jordan - knows the system and will first crack as the backup
Hillis - X factor - he has too much talent to be kept off the field
Arrington - provided he's heathly
Young - I liked Young from day one and think he can play somewhere if not in Denver

robbieopperude
04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
None of those will be cut.
RB Depth Chart
Moreno
Buckhalter
JJ
L.Jordan
Hillis...listed as FB
Maybe one more if he can play special teams.

BroncoMan4ever
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM

or we could just dump mr glass and not have to hear anymore crap about if only he could stay healthy he would be a beast.

he is overrated take him, Young, and Moore to the trash.

BroncoMan4ever
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
We're going to have to sign some backs. Tatum, hello?

i'm amazed he didn't at least get a deal to come to camp. he was the only player who did anything against SD.

BroncoMan4ever
04-29-2009, 12:06 AM

i am expecting a Tomlinson-Turner gameplan with Moreno and Hillis. Moreno getting the bulk of the carries, and Hillis coming in 5-10 carries a game. but unlike Turner in SD, Hillis will be versatile and also in addition to the 5-10 carries a game, get passes out of the backfield and from the slot and TE position.

FireFly
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I honestly think under Shanny Hillis would have been a star.

Under McDaniels I think he's either cut or severely under utilized.

I've supported McDaniels with most of his decisions so far, but if he cuts Hillis just because he was a Shanny pick I'm going to be VERY upset.

BABronco
04-29-2009, 12:28 AM

I've supported McDaniels with most of his decisions so far, but if he cuts Hillis just because he was a Shanny pick I'm going to be VERY upset.

Agreed.

Hulamau
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM

Young is plenty smart enough but cant stay on the field. Same problem I see with Torain with his injuries and running style. Hard to imagine a RB coming back at full speed the season after microfracture surgery. Too bad as he could be a good one if he had a chance

Drek
04-29-2009, 05:34 AM

Your point kinda falls apart when you take into account things like, oh, reality?

Under Mike Shanahan Hillis wasn't even a full time starter at FB, let alone HB. He had a 116 yard, 7 reception day week 9 and after that for the the next 5 games he amassed 6 total, because they stopped throwing to him.

He got a shot at HB after Selvin Young, Michael Pittman, Andre Hall, and Ryan Torain where all lost, so its not like they had him high on the depth chart to begin with.

Meanwhile McDaniels has said he sees a variety of roles for Hillis, and has used players with comparable versatility quite effectively with Kevin Faulk, and a similar FB (when Hillis is at FB) in Heath Evans.

I'm expecting Moreno to be the #1 back, backed up by Buckhalter. Hillis will play FB in our two back sets, and will also see some downs as a power single back often in short yardage. Jordan will back him up in those power single back sets. Arrington will be used as a speed back who will primarily get his touches out of two back sets, other than that he'll contribute on STs as a return man. Torain and Young will both get cut or IR'ed, depending on elidgability. We'll retain Pinnock or another FB to provide depth at that position as well, it'll probably be someone who shows promise on the STs wedge.

DarkHorse
04-29-2009, 05:35 AM
And this whole time I thought Torrain was the messiah :blueflame

I say we keep him around in case someone gets injured he can assist with the rehab process :welcome:

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2009, 05:39 AM
tough call...

i think there's a solid chance all three of those guys make the team because they all play different roles...

but if i had to choose, i'd say Arrington...he was prolly slated to be our 3rd down back, but Moreno can play 3 downs so Arrington would soley be a KR...that's not enough of a role to hold an active roster spot...

randomtask
04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
J.J. Arrington will be the first to go. He's coming off an injury, and Moreno fills his role on 3rd down. Jordan will stay simply because of his Patriot affiliation.

BMarsh615
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I think it is JJ Arington because he still is not healthy. Lamont Jordan is one of McDaniels' guys from NE and he is the fastest RB we have on this team.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Arrington has a better shot to make this team because he can return kicks and is pretty good at it. Moreno, Buck, Arrington, Hillis, Jordan would figure to make it. I don't think or see why Hillis would get cut, as someone here suggested.

TonyR
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM

their shanny draft picks, McD signed all three guys you want to cut and well..... has anything "normal" happened with regard to Denver this year.

Yes, and I'm sure Clady and Royal will get cut too. And Marshall. Can't keep those "Shanny draft picks" around. They're like poison. Cut everybody who Shanny drafted or signed in FA and bring in everybody that the Pats cut in camp. That's what's going to happen.

<Note to those that don't sense sarcasm very well, there's a little bit of it present in this post.>

Smiling Assassin27
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Jordan is the most injury prone, IMO. He won't make it through camp.

penguintheory
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Are. You. Serious.

BMarsh615
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Are you serious?

McDaniels has said dozens of times that he values tough, smart, and versatile players. Hillis fits that mold perfectly.

cutthemdown
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Broncos will carry 6 backs and one or two of them will be able to play FB.

Moreno
Buckhalter
Jordan
Hillis
Arrington
Torain

Thats my guess

cutthemdown
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Are you serious?

McDaniels has said dozens of times that he values tough, smart, and versatile players. Hillis fits that mold perfectly.

I don't see why Hillis wont be on team. Mcdaniels will keep him because he plays physical. Hillis useful for short yardage and blocking.

Inkana7
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Here's my nomination for weakest attempt at a McDaniels attack.

Odysseus
04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
It's too bad Selvin Young was not in the poll.

ohiobronco2
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM

He was my guess. Too bad I kept it to myself.

azbroncfan
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM

It just makes it a bad poll or it meant he obviously wasn't going to cut it and deserved no mention.

cutthemdown
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Some people are guessing 5 backs on roster, I'm guessing 6 make it.

kamakazi_kal
05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, and I'm sure Clady and Royal will get cut too. And Marshall. Can't keep those "Shanny draft picks" around. They're like poison. Cut everybody who Shanny drafted or signed in FA and bring in everybody that the Pats cut in camp. That's what's going to happen.

<Note to those that don't sense sarcasm very well, there's a little bit of it present in this post.>

you freakin drama queen. I'm just sayin if one were going to get cut why would you think it's going to be one of the backs Mcd just signed?