PDA

View Full Version : The "what we could have gotten" draft

Breaker
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
After watching the draft play out, this is what we could have had as our draft, assuming all the trade that where made still stand. This could have really helped the defense a ton.

# Player Pos School Scouts Inc Rating

12 Brian Orakpo DE Texas 95
18 Peria Jerry DT Mississippi 91
37 Rey Maualuga ILB USC 91
48 Micheal Johnson DE G Tech 83
64 Rashaad Johnson S Alabama 86
114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87
132 Jason Phillips ILB TCU 66

This is through the 4th round.

OABB
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Ed Reed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldengopher1976
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Sophomoric humor alert.

Two Johnsons is one too many.

;D

PRBronco
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM

Beat me to it!

supermanhr9
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
coulda would shoulda,,, what happens if we didn't pick knowshon and he's the next Adrian Peterson? What happens if we did pick Orakpo and he's another Jarvis Moss?

It's not worth our time to sit here and split hairs about what could've happened, because we won't knw until the season starts, or even next season for that matter.

On the other hand what else do we have to talk about??? So, let the hair splitting continue, lets enjoy the summer and pray Knowshon makes us look brilliant

Bronx33
04-28-2009, 01:37 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2995/pacifier.jpg

WABronco
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Blast!

Gcver2ver3
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
i typically don't bash threads...

but absolutely nothing good can come from this type of thread...

after this, i'm gonna sit down with my wife and talk with her about hypothetical scenarios with my exgirlfriends that i coulda married but didn't...

ghwk
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

after this, i'm gonna sit down with my wife and talk with her about hypothetical scenarios with my exgirlfriends that i coulda married but didn't...

Shortly after that conversation I fully expect you to be starting the next "So I'm getting a divorce..." thread :rofl:

Gcver2ver3
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Shortly after that conversation I fully expect you to be starting the next "So I'm getting a divorce..." thread :rofl:

pretty much...

vancejohnson82
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM

hahahaha....very nice

Pick Six
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I hope Orakpo is a bust in NFL, after the Redskins wasted NO time drafting him right after we passed him up...

Rugby7
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
You are being silly. If Denver choses a different player at 12 the whole draft would change. You don't know those players would be available with those pics.

Kaylore
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM

rep

gyldenlove
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
After watching the draft play out, this is what we could have had as our draft, assuming all the trade that where made still stand. This could have really helped the defense a ton.

114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87

I would rather spend an hour cupping Bobos twig and giggleberries than have that draft class.

That is just awful, AWFUL!

Rohirrim
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Nobody wants to play this game now, but I guarantee you, if things go in the ****ter, everybody will want to play. :rofl:

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM

114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87

I can play that game and just thru the first two rounds. I've posted this before:

Ayers
Barwin
Orakpo
Brace
English
Kruger

I think we could have got 3 or maybe 4 of them in the first two rounds with the maneuvering we did. Could maybe have acquired 5 with a little more sacrifice.

But it is just a game. The picks we got will be good players. The telling of who did the best is two years away at least, maybe more. The coaching staff is on the spot now.

Elway777
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
My Draft 12. Orakpo, by far the best player on the board at the time.
18. Moreno, I'm O.k with drafting Moreno but would never pass on Orakpo. I don't buy it that teams where trying to trade up for Moreno.
37. I would not sell out next years draft when we don't kwow where we will pick.Maybe if we where a playoff team.
48 . Fila Moala , This guy fits the profile of every think you want in a 3-4 defensive end.
64. Jarron Gilbert, another Guy that projects well as 3-4 DE. I'm o.k.
with trade up to get him.
114. D.J . Moore is a steal right at this point.
132. Dave Burton, I'm glad we drafted this Guy.

tsiguy96
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
we could have had desean jackson last year! hes so much better and a much better KR! omg!

we could have had chris williams too! hes gonna be a way better pro than ryan clady...

cmhargrove
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
!

OABB
04-28-2009, 02:49 PM

chaz
04-28-2009, 03:00 PM

LOL

Where's Plummer???
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
arakpo... nuff said. moreno woulda made it to the 18th pick. why didnt he get arakpo?!?!?

Northman
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Bwahahahahahaha Hilarious!

Man-Goblin
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
arakpo... nuff said. moreno woulda made it to the 18th pick. why didnt he get arakpo?!?!?

Have you been in jail or something?

Where's Plummer???
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM

nope. i was being redeployed to germany. the beer is only so-so IMO. i prefer good ole american Bud

SportinOne
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM

that's not even apples and oranges.. that's apples and zebra cakes my friend and you know it..

It's not about the players it's about the positions that were drafted. We had crap on the D Line going in and nothing has changed. Don't tell me you have complete faith in a couple of guys that were passed over by each team at least 7 times. They could develop into good players in the long run but our D line is still shot for next year at best.

Los Broncos
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Steven Jackson.

lex
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87

If Mayock thinks Ayers will be the best defensive player in this draft in 3 years, thats good enough for me. If you dont see the value of having a top notch RB, then you havent been paying attention to the Broncos for the past 15 years. I like some of your picks but Im kind of glad with how the first played out although I would have rather had Beanie Wells instead of Rockwell Moreno. Moreno is a good RB though and we needed an upgrade in the running game to take advantage of what should be our strength.

Also, why not Brace at 37 if youre going to poke holes? I would have rather kept our pick next year and used other picks from this year to trade up to 37 and then rolled the dice that Quinn and McBath would have been there later.

DenverBrit
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
nope. i was being redeployed to germany. the beer is only so-so IMO. i prefer good ole american Bud

If you think Bud is better than German beer.......your taste buds are kaput!! :spit:

Where's Plummer???
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
i guess so lol. but bud weiser tops all beers except for my uncles home brew. that ****s the ****

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
!

OK, you bums, that's enough.

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM

You better stop. I'm taking names.

GeniusatWork
04-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Bwahahahahahaha Hilarious!

That is it. Northman. I'm marking it down for piling on. Northman.

barryr
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
You could do this every year after every draft. It doesn't solve a thing.

BTW, Jerry is a 4-3 DT and would not fit this 3-4 the Broncos are putting in. There are no 6'1, 290lb NT's in a 3-4 and no DE's in a 3-4 that short either.

DenverBroncosJM
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM

:rofl:

azbroncfan
04-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Too bad BUD isn't American anymore.

Drek
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM

114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87

You know, I could go on an amazingly long rant about just how stupid this is, what with completely ignoring an offense that still needs a lot of work, over drafting LB despite it being probably the deepest position on our D with the most promising young players, and really ask what the hell made you think Peria Jerry is even remotely close to worth a 1st round pick if you're just going to play him at 5-tech (I'm assuming you don't think he's an NT).

But instead I'll leave it at this. Our new coordinator of scouting was a senior staffer at Scouts Inc. if those numbers you stuck on the ends of those names as some sort of seal of quality were any legitimate indicator don't you think we would've drafted by it?

The Broncos draft staff is more than just McDaniels and Xanders. Its a team of highly paid professionals who aren't strangers to a 100 hour work week over these last few months. They've been doing it for years, through good drafts and bad, scheme changes and rebuilding projects, with Jim Goodman, Mike Shanahan, and before either one of them reached any position of authority. They work in a multi-billion dollar industry that prides itself on finding talent in every nook and cranny across the globe. If you really could just throw names down like this and produce a superior draft, don't you think someone would've done it well before you thought of it?

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm bummed Broncos didn't draft Rey Rey. I was totally wrong when I said I thought he wouldn't slip out of first round.

I guess teams worried about his character because on the field he can get it done inside.

Then again I watch a lot of USC football so I am biased. That probably played into me rating him higher then he went.

Rohirrim
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
You know, I could go on an amazingly long rant about just how stupid this is, what with completely ignoring an offense that still needs a lot of work, over drafting LB despite it being probably the deepest position on our D with the most promising young players, and really ask what the hell made you think Peria Jerry is even remotely close to worth a 1st round pick if you're just going to play him at 5-tech (I'm assuming you don't think he's an NT).

But instead I'll leave it at this. Our new coordinator of scouting was a senior staffer at Scouts Inc. if those numbers you stuck on the ends of those names as some sort of seal of quality were any legitimate indicator don't you think we would've drafted by it?

The Broncos draft staff is more than just McDaniels and Xanders. Its a team of highly paid professionals who aren't strangers to a 100 hour work week over these last few months. They've been doing it for years, through good drafts and bad, scheme changes and rebuilding projects, with Jim Goodman, Mike Shanahan, and before either one of them reached any position of authority. They work in a multi-billion dollar industry that prides itself on finding talent in every nook and cranny across the globe. If you really could just throw names down like this and produce a superior draft, don't you think someone would've done it well before you thought of it?

I understand your argument, and I'm not arguing against you, but don't you think some teams should try it? Take the Lions and Oakland, for instance. :angel:

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM

114 DJ Moore CB Vandy 87

Why stop with this draft? Why not go all the way back to the 1959 draft and look at all the players the Broncos could have drafted but didn't.

Lets cry over spilled milk, ad nausium.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Fact is without all the scouting, and the information being reported on to the fans, none of us would even come close to making a mock draft. I'd love to see on of us try and make a top 100 college players by only watching the games. No announcers, no sound, no nothing.

No Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, Walter Football, Draftpros, etc etc to read.

We would find IMO draft boards that got very little right and would look nothing like what went down over the weekend.

Give it up people we aren't that smart.

Northman
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
That is it. Northman. I'm marking it down for piling on. Northman.

:sunshine:

The Moops
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Moreno is a great back, but Orakpo was the pick we should have made.

Did anyone notice that after Denver picked Moreno, the Skins waited exactly
.00001 seconds before nabbing Orakpo!

Kinda what the Ravens did a few years back when we drafted Ashley Lelie and they said, "Rats. I guess we have to pick Ed Reed now . . . "

Br0nc0Buster
04-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Kinda what the Ravens did a few years back when we drafted Ashley Lelie and they said, "Rats. I guess we have to pick Ed Reed now . . . "

Or like when the Jags rushed up to draft Byron Leftwich when the Vikes let the time pass

OH man lol the Jags sure punked the Vikes on that one!.........

Inkana7
04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Hooray For Name Players!!

OABB
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM

you mean, we could of had Ed Reed? this is news to me.

TDmvp
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
you mean, we could of had Ed Reed? this is news to me.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8416/17896606.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: