PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote cut

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking a veteran 3-4 LB from the Super Bowl champion Steelers might be a nice addition to our front 7.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/steelers-cutting-larry-foote/

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/footes-departure-clears-2885-million-in-cap-space/

vancejohnson82
04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
hmmmm....normally i just say "no"

but this guy could be a fit...

Mogulseeker
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Bring another Foote to Denver. Then we'll finally have a pair of feet.

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Dear God, please...

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Dear God, please...

Do elaborate on your disdain.

Drek
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't think its disdain.

I'd be a fan of it, as long as they have a plan in mind on how to get all those LBs on the field in good situations.

BMarsh615
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Eh, I would rather give Woodyard a shot at ILB. He is only 9 pounds lighter than Foote is.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd be a fan of it, as long as they have a plan in mind on how to get all those LBs on the field in good situations.

If he's a better player than any other LB on our roster then I'd think it's a no-brainer, particularly since he's got 3-4 experience. Now if somebody would cut a quality NT...

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 09:20 AM

Disdain?!

It's a dose of exactly what the team needs! A vet that plays at a high level on the interior and knows exactly what he's doing in a 3-4. He'll have to learn the new scheme, but he's very COMFORTABLE in that spot, and his play shows it. He and Davis would go a LONG ways towards making our interior respectable.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Disdain?!

Sorry, I completely misread your tone.

socalorado
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Eh, I would rather give Woodyard a shot at ILB. He is only 9 pounds lighter than Foote is.

So would I!!!
So lets sign Foote and let him play next to WWIII, and put DJ at SAM.

socalorado
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Disdain?!

It's a dose of exactly what the team needs! A vet that plays at a high level on the interior and knows exactly what he's doing in a 3-4. He'll have to learn the new scheme, but he's very COMFORTABLE in that spot, and his play shows it. He and Davis would go a LONG ways towards making our interior respectable.

Oooh! Yeah, i forgot about Davis.

Dudeskey
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
So would I!!!
So lets sign Foote and let him play next to WWIII, and put DJ at SAM.

Gettin' crowded back there, what about Davis & Doom?

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Oooh! Yeah, i forgot about Davis.

No worries, one will go down during the season at some point, realistically.

That gives Wesley time to learn from a pair of the best (mentally, not physically). It'd be such a huge boone to this squad of scrubs it's ridiculous... not just the higher level of play, but the situational awareness and smart football.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
C'mon guys. He's been in a serious decline for the last four years. I'm ready to move past the Sam Adams, Simeon Rice trannies of the previous administration.

montrose
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Why was he cut? To get Timmons on the field more?

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
C'mon guys. He's been in a serious decline for the last four years. I'm ready to move past the Sam Adams, Simeon Rice trannies of the previous administration.

He's only 28. I think they did it as much for $ reasons as performance. And that's how they've always operated.

The Joker
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd not be opposed to it but feel we're more in need of OLB than inside guys.

Where exactly does Ayers project to play, btw?

In 4-3 packages he'll be DE, obviously, but in the 3-4 does he play OLB or at DE? I would have expected it to be OLB but I'm seeing a few places that he's expected to be a 3-4 DE.

That seems off to me.

Montrose, you generally seem to have a good handle on these things. What's your guess?

HEAV
04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Foote and Andra are the same player, while Andra is 2 years older, while adding Foote would be in the Patriot model and his knowledge of the 3-4 would be a plus for the youngsters, you have to think enough is enough with the linebackers.

DJ and Davis are starters at ILB and let's see how the kids work out.

Plus for some odd reason Foote wants to play for the Lions (his hometown team).

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 09:39 AM

Presumably so. I know they were considering it last season, but both he and Farrior were noticeably better in camp than Timmons.

Here's what makes me question the validity of the "cut": Where's the depth? They didn't draft a LB, and I don't recall any FA signings... maybe just leaning on the practice squad in case of emergency?

HEAV
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Timmons has been ready to start and Foote numbers just didn't merit a starting spot.

dbfan21
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd take him beacuse of his experience and his experience on a 2-time SB championship team.

socalorado

In 4-3 packages he'll be DE, obviously, but in the 3-4 does he play OLB or at DE? I would have expected it to be OLB but I'm seeing a few places that he's expected to be a 3-4 DE.

That seems off to me.

Montrose, you generally seem to have a good handle on these things. What's your guess?
3-4
JACK AYERS/DOOM
MIKE DAVIS/LARSEN
WILL FOOTE/WWIII
SAM DJ/BAILEY(throws up)
SO? whats wrong with this? Davis or Foote go down mid season, DEN has more than adequate players to replace there.

HEAV

That seems off to me.

A: There won't be any 4-3 packages

B: Ayers will be starting at DE

Broncoman13
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Disdain?!

DING!

This.

eddie mac
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM

$$$. They have no cap room to sign their rookies.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
He's only 28. I think they did it as much for $ reasons as performance. And that's how they've always operated.

Look at his production, he's not an impact player. I'd much rather have a younger, cheaper Spencer Larson in a backup role than Foote. And if he's an average player with Hampton in front of him, what's he going to bring to the table here? People are getting too wrapped up in the Steeler thing than looking at him objectively.

Paladin
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Plus for some odd reason Foote wants to play for the Lions (his hometown team).

That's it. Brain damaged from concussions......

Paladin
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Look at his production, he's not an impact player. I'd much rather have a younger, cheaper Spencer Larson in a backup role than Foote. And if he's an average player with Hampton in front of him, what's he going to bring to the table here? People are getting too wrapped up in the Steeler thing than looking at him objectively.

Nah. It's a Mane tradition that every Scooter who is cut is automatically an upgrade for the Denver D.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Maybe no 4-3, but there will be nickle packages where, i assume, ayers will play with his hand on the ground.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
People are getting too wrapped up in the Steeler thing than looking at him objectively.

Very possible. But his experience in the 3-4 could be very valuable. For the right price he's worth a shot.

eddie mac
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Seems that Foote wants to return home and the Lions have an opening at MLB.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Nah. It's a Mane tradition that every Scooter who is cut is automatically an upgrade for the Denver D.

How many experienced 3-4 backers do we currently have on the roster? You have to at least consider the reasons he's worth looking at.

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyone remember this:

2005 AFCCG "The Broncos, trailing in the game, returned a Steelers kick to midfield which threatened to shift the momentum away from the Steelers. However on the next play from scrimmage, Foote intercepted Plummer's pass and effectively ended the Broncos rally. "

HEAV
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Maybe no 4-3, but there will be nickle packages where, i assume, ayers will play with his hand on the ground.

Ayers will be starting at DE

socalorado
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Ayers will be starting at DE, cause the guy at the Denver Post said so.
;D

eddie mac
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
We need Vonnie Holliday far more than Foote.

HEAV
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
;D

I stated it the day he was drafted... the post claimed he would be OLB.:thanku:

~Crash~
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Gettin' crowded back there, what about Davis & Doom?

why we have noone worth there salt on the line how about 1-6Ha!

RunSilentRunDeep
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
We need Vonnie Holliday far more than Foote.

Agreed. I'd kick the tires on Kevin Carter too.

HEAV
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
While adding talent is always a must/plus. This team needs to see what it has in Mini camp.

Adding anymore players to the mix will cloud the evaluation of the younger players like Wood and Larsen.

Plus a player like Foote (or any competetive person) isn't coming to a team to be a teacher or babysitter. He's going to go where he can play and or start.

DJ and Davis are set to start at inside bringing in Foote would mean he's competing with DJ for the spot. Or forcing DJ to the outside where the team is working with Moss,Crowder, Reid and possibly having Boss (if healthy) play the strong side OLB.

Not saying it doesn't hurt to have talent added, but the team currently needs to see what it as at the LB spots, so adding a vet may not be a needed right now.

Plus there will be June cuts and by then the staff could see the need to add a player.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM

It's Mane tradition to overrate any rookie who actually made the team out of camp. They especially overrate late round picks who make the team played in a 4-3 last year versus a guy coming from a 3-4 tam.

Los Broncos
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Maybe give him a strong look, he would bring some leadership along with Dawkins.

fdf
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM

LOL. Sadly, in recent years, that may have been true.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would be either traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup led to his release.

His resume includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14½ sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

broncosteven
04-28-2009, 11:49 AM

A: Funny but I have read that Nolan was going to run a base 4-3 and work in the 3-4. I hadn't read where they stated they are running 3-4 base 100% of time.

Plus add in that the Pats play both 3-4 and 4-3 or hybrids of both based on who they are playing I doubt we run a dedicated pure 3-4 D. If you have a link that would help.

B: I heard a lot on draft day that Ayers is high talent but will be an instant starter. People thought he was a great pick but will not contribute to full potential for at least a year or 2. He may get a lot of playing time but I would be surprised to see him starting in September. I hope he does but everything I have read said that he is good at bringing pressure but will need to work himself into the Pro game.

socalorado
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would be either traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup led to his release.

His resume includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14½ sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4107676

Gosh, seems like a really healthy, productive football player to me.
Or i guess DEN could just go with Jarvis Moss. Hilarious!

Broncos_OTM
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I stated it the day he was drafted... the post claimed he would be OLB.:thanku:

The Coaching staff said they would evaluate him at multiple positions. As of this second we dont know exactly where he will play. I wouldnt mind him playing at DE. Although i think he really SOLB would be his best bet.

I read somewhere some said no 4-3 looks? whats up with that

I like Ayers at LDE in the 4-3

BroncoMan4ever
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
bring him and Holliday in.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
As a couple of previous posts mentioned...

Foote Wants To Play For The Lions
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 2:54 p.m. EDT

Perhaps far bigger than the news that former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote wants to play for the Detroit Lions is that anyone wants to play for the Detroit Lions.

But, indeed, Foote wants to continue his career in the state he calls “home,” with the team everyone calls “really, really sucky.”

“Detroit is always No. 1,” Foote told the Detroit News. “I mean, my agent is talking to them about me coming home, and we’ll go from there. But no question about it, that’s my first choice.”

Foote also revealed that he had been pushing the team to cut him, and that at one point he thought he’d be traded.

“I’ve been forcing [this] the whole offseason,” Foote said. “I’ve been asking for it all offseason, asking for a trade, and I guess they finally did something. I wish they’d have done it a little earlier. Technically, I’m a free man now, but a lot of the money [in free agency] has been spent. . . .

“I don’t know what the Steelers were doing in the whole process. They kept saying they were trying to get a trade. I know they were in talks with the Lions. But I don’t know how it’s gonna work. My agent [Ken Kremer] said the Lions tried to get me, but I still don’t know how bad they want me.”

On one hand, it’s arguably a tad douchey for the Steelers to squat on Foote through the first two months of free agency and then cut him three days after picking a total of, um, zero linebackers in the draft. On the other hand, Foote’s agent could have avoided the situation by simply shifting $1 million of Foote’s $2.885 million base salary into a roster bonus due on the first day of the 2009 league year.

If the Lions aren’t interested in bringing to the franchise a guy who got two Super Bowl rings without buying either of them on eBay, then maybe the Cardinals will be inclined to consider Foote, given his connection to former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/foote-wants-to-play-for-the-lions/

TonyR
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Not cut yet...

Steelers Will Keep Foote For The Next Week
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 3:07 p.m. EDT

In his Tuesday comments to the Detroit News, linebacker Larry Foote said that the Steelers tried to trade him before deciding to cut him.

It appears that those efforts might be ongoing.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms our report (thanks, Ed — you are a true gentleman, despite that French-sounding surname), but Bouchette writes that the Steelers will keep him on the roster through the coming weekend, during which a mandatory minicamp will be held.

Our guess is that the Steelers are still hoping to get a phone call from a team that might want to trade for Foote, and that with so many minicamps coming up this weekend, the Steelers might be thinking that a market for Foote could emerge quickly if a linebacker on another team suffers a serious injury during the coming surge of non-contact (eyeroll) helmets-and-underwear practices.

It’s also safe to assume that the Steelers dangled Foote during draft weekend, and that they likewise found no takers.

They might find a taker for Foote as quickly as the Fins did last summer for defensive end Jason Taylor, when a blown Achilles’ tendon in D.C. instantly became the second-round draft pick with which the Fins finagled Pat White.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/steelers-will-keep-foote-for-the-next-week/

UberBroncoMan
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and say this.

He's going to Kansas City if he's outa Pitt.

They have cap and they need another leader with Vrabel on that D.

JJJ
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Stay away from this guy. He needs to be in SD.

tsiguy96
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and say this.

He's going to Kansas City if he's outa Pitt.

They have cap and they need another leader with Vrabel on that D.

he wants to go to detroit and it seems as though they want him there...

Popps
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
he wants to go to detroit and it seems as though they want him there...

I'm not going to do a search, but I'd imagine that's the first time that was said in the history of the forum, if not mankind.

Crushaholic
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
So...Foote has been amputated, huh?

oubronco
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
<TABLE width=630 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Steelers | Foote has not been released
</TD><TD width="20%">Comment (0) (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=562904) http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/twitter.jpg (http://twitter.com/timeline/home?status=Per KFFL.com: Steelers | Foote has not been released - http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562904) http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/facebook.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562904)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:24:42 -0700
Contrary to a previous report, Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) director of football operations Kevin Colbert said LB Larry Foote (http://www.kffl.com/player/5815/nfl) is still a member of the Steelers.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Steelers | Foote has not been released

Yes, see post 51.

The Moops
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Pick 'em up . . . 52-21 . . . that's all I can remember from last season.

boltaneer
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Stay away from this guy. He needs to be in SD.

With his price tag, I doubt the Chargers give him a sniff. They signed Kevin Burnett to replace Wilhelm/Dobbins. I'd love to see Brandon Siler and Burnett battle it out for that spot.

I'd love it if the Chiefs overpaid for him though.

Crushaholic
05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
The.Deal.Is.Done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810268ee&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Pittsburgh Steelers released Larry Foote on Monday, less than one week after the seven-year veteran linebacker said he didn't expect to be with the team for much longer.

Foote, who started every game for the Steelers in the previous five seasons, was scheduled to earn $2.885 million next season. Lawrence Timmons, a first-round draft pick in 2007, is expected to replace Foote as a starting inside linebacker.

oubronco
05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Sign him up now

GoBroncos DownUnder
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Foote never said anything about MONEY, but we all know he wants to get PAID, I don't think he'll go to Kansas City because they're already SET at ILB - Zach Thomas, Derrick Johnson and Mike Vrabel.
I'm NOT saying he'll come to Denver yet, but Foote (supposedly) just wants to START full-time, and that won't happen in KC.

How much CAP room do we have? ???

Kaylore
05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
We should sign him just to keep him off San Diego's roster.

Ramathorn
05-05-2009, 06:30 AM
<TABLE width=630 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Steelers | Foote has not been released
</TD><TD width="20%">Comment (0) (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=562904) http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/twitter.jpg (http://twitter.com/timeline/home?status=Per KFFL.com: Steelers | Foote has not been released - http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562904) http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/facebook.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562904)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:24:42 -0700
Contrary to a previous report, Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) director of football operations Kevin Colbert said LB Larry Foote (http://www.kffl.com/player/5815/nfl) is still a member of the Steelers.

Steelers cut veteran LB Foote, cite 'realities of the salary cap'
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Pittsburgh Steelers released Larry Foote on Monday, less than one week after the seven-year veteran linebacker said he didn't expect to be with the team much longer.

Larry Foote, LB
Pittsburgh Steelers

Career Statistics
Games/Starts: 110/83
Tackles: 431
Starts: 14.5
Foote started in every Steelers game for the past five seasons, including their Super Bowl XL and XLIII victories. But he was unhappy about coming off the field on passing downs for Lawrence Timmons, a 2007 first-round draft pick who's expected to replace Foote as the starter next season.

Foote told the Steelers last week that he wanted to be traded or released. The Steelers cut him after failing to find a team willing to deal a draft pick for him.

"Larry has been a big part of our success, but unfortunately, the realities of the salary cap made this decision inevitable," Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said in a statement released by the team. "We wish Larry and his family nothing but the best as he moves forward with his career."

Foote said last Tuesday that Colbert told him the Steelers were trying to trade him but would release the linebacker if that didn't work out. However, Colbert called reports that Foote would be traded or released "erroneous."

The Steelers held their first post-draft minicamp last weekend, but Foote didn't attend, and his teammates talked about him as if he wouldn't return.

The Steelers needed salary-cap relief after signing Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to a six-year, $51.7 million deal earlier this offseason, so they reworked the contracts of cornerback Ike Taylor and wide receiver Hines Ward. Foote was scheduled to earn $2.885 million next season.

Foote told the Detroit Free Press last week that he would like to play for his hometown Lions. Foote played college football at Michigan and maintains a home in the state.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

alkemical
05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd take foote. He's a good ball player -

TonyR
05-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Foote Will Visit Detroit On Wednesday
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 10:33 a.m. EDT

Only two days after being released by the Pittsburgh Steelers, veteran linebacker Larry Foote will visit with the NFL team that plays in the city he calls home.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Foote will visit the Lions on Wednesday.

He was dumped while being owed $2.885 million in base salary for 2009, and he has made no secret of his desire to play for his hometown team.

In related news, former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis also is from Detroit, in case you didn’t hear it once or twice — or 50,000 times — in the days preceding Super Bowl XL.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/05/foote-will-visit-detroit-on-wednesday/

400HZ
05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
We should sign him just to keep him off San Diego's roster.

I doubt they pursue him. The weakness of SD's ILB group is overblown. I couldn't believe how many know-nothings had Maualuga headed our way this last draft.

Inkana7
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I doubt they pursue him. The weakness of SD's ILB group is overblown. I couldn't believe how many know-nothings had Maualuga headed our way this last draft.

Yeah dude, Matt Wilhelm is sweet.

400HZ
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah dude, Matt Wilhelm is sweet.

I hope he gets cut and ends up in Denver. He can be the next Marlon McCree. :rofl:

TonyR
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Perhaps more proof that, somehow, we're happy with what we have on D.

Foote Says Lions Have Offered Him A Contract
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 9:21 p.m. EDT

Former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote reportedly was due to visit the Lions on Wednesday.

In Michigan, it’s apparently Wednesday.

According to the Associated Press, Foote says that he met with “everybody” at the team’s facility on Tuesday. Foote also claims that the Lions offered him a contract, and that agent Ken Kremer is working on completing a deal.

Foote, who has said he wants to play for the Lions, also says that the Chiefs, Cardinals, and Colts have expressed interest in signing him.

In our view, Foote’s affinity for the franchise that went 0-16 in 2008 offers genuine encouragement for a struggling organization. And it’s the kind of thing that could help to turn things around in Detroit.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/05/foote-says-lions-have-offered-him-a-contract/

montrose
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM

That seems off to me.

Sorry I didn't see this until now Schism. My guess is that Ayers will be used much like Justin Smith was in San Francisco last year under Mike Nolan as a Joker. I think you'll see him lined up in several different positions. My guess is that he's listed as your starting SOLB in the 3-4, but he'll play some 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE and even some 4-3 DT depending on the circumstance. I imagine that, especially as a rookie also learning a new system and positions, they'll try to limit his pass coverage responsibilities as much as possible and keep him to primarily rushing the passer and keeping outside contain. The Broncos have better coverage LBs in Woodyard, Williams and Bailey that should allow Ayers and Dumervil to stick more to what they do best in obvious passing situations.