PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Anyone Else Miss This???

cmhargrove
04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
I miss Cutler and was getting excited about his future. I love a good gunslinger and someone who can win games in the fourth quarter. Elway was my all time favorite Bronco, closely followed by TD.

However, the reason I am a Broncos fan has been the history and ability to run the ball. I love smash mouth, run it down your throat football. I'll take a team that runs well over one that passes well (although you need both). That's just my preference as a fan.

So, with the Moreno pick, I suddenly had a flashback to better years. Hopefully we have more of this next year. Remind yourself about our "history," and where we might be headed again...

PRO FOOTBALL; Portis Shreds Kansas City for 5 Touchdowns
Published: Monday, December 8, 2003
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

BRONCOS 45, CHIEFS 27

Clinton Portis had already scored four touchdowns, so Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer figured it was time to pound the ball into the line and salt away the victory.

But receiver Rod Smith had other ideas. He wanted Portis to score and finish things off right, so that's what Portis did.

He scored from 53 yards for his team-record fifth touchdown and finished with 218 yards, helping Denver stay in the American Football Conference playoff hunt with a wild 45-27 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

''Jake was like, 'Just protect the ball, let's move the ball and we can run out the clock,' '' said Portis, who finished 10 yards short of his career high, set in the final game of 2002.

''Rod was like, 'Just score.' And I did. I need to stop taking Jake's advice and listen to Rod more often.''

Portis impressed teammates with a 34-carry, 170-yard game in the rain last week against Oakland, but he was even better against the division-leading Chiefs.

He had touchdown runs of 11 and 1 yards in the first half, then added scores of 59, 28 and the final 53-yarder in the second.

Portis had 188 yards after halftime and finished with his fifth consecutive 100-yard game -- his third straight with at least 160 yards. He has 2,960 yards his first two seasons, moving past LaDainian Tomlinson (2,919) and Ottis Anderson (2,957) for fourth in league history.

Denver (8-5) tied Miami for the final A.F.C. playoff spot and prevented Kansas City (11-2) from winning its first division title since 1997.

Trent Green threw for 397 yards and Priest Holmes scored two touchdowns, but the Chiefs struggled after a big first half to lose for the second time in four weeks after a 9-0 start.

''I don't know what the problem was,'' Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil said. ''We couldn't make a first down; we couldn't stop them. When that happens, you're not going to win many football games.''

Denver scored on three of four possessions in the first half, and kept rolling in the second to finish with 508 yards.

The Broncos opened the third quarter with a 78-yard scoring drive, capped by Reuben Droughns's 3-yard touchdown catch to put the Broncos up by 24-21.

Portis took over from there.

He broke free up the middle on Denver's next drive, freezing safety Jerome Woods with a move around the 30 before going in for a 59-yard touchdown.

Portis seemed bottled up at the line on Denver's next drive, but he waited for the hole to open and burst through for a 28-yard touchdown.

He completed the rout on Denver's next play from scrimmage, going off left tackle to put the Broncos up by 45-21.

''It was an unbelievable day,'' Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield said. ''It was his day. Not ours.''

Photo: The Broncos' Clinton Portis, who had 218 yards rushing, on his way to a 28-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. (Photo by Associated Press)

The Joker
04-28-2009, 06:17 AM
If he can be the back Portis was for us, we'll be sweet.

Would make up for losing Cutler for me, anyway.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2009, 06:26 AM
If he can be the back Portis was for us, we'll be sweet.

I demand more.

Portis, in Denver, isn't what we need right now. As several of us constantly point out when these debates come up, Portis was the master of rushing about 20 times a game with 15 of them going for less than 3 yards and then the other 5 would go for over 15. He'd end up with flashy numbers, but he didn't help sustain drives like they needed and wasn't truly effective. He'd also go down if someone so much as breathed on him. (He's seemingly gotten better at that in Washington, at least from what I've seen of him)

With the defense the Broncos are currently fielding, they need a hybrid of Portis and Hillis. Get the tough yards and consistently finish a run by falling forward. Sustain drives. Be a threat for a big run. Don't go down on first contact.

TailgateNut
04-28-2009, 06:34 AM
I demand more.

Portis, in Denver, isn't what we need right now. As several of us constantly point out when these debates come up, Portis was the master of rushing about 20 times a game with 15 of them going for less than 3 yards and then the other 5 would go for over 15. He'd end up with flashy numbers, but he didn't help sustain drives like they needed and wasn't truly effective. He'd also go down if someone so much as breathed on him. (He's seemingly gotten better at that in Washington, at least from what I've seen of him)

With the defense the Broncos are currently fielding, they need a hybrid of Portis and Hillis. Get the tough yards and consistently finish a run by falling forward. Sustain drives. Be a threat for a big run. Don't go down on first contact.

Good post Bean.

I always enjoyed watching the Broncos when we had the TD/Griffith combo plowing downfield, and if not avoiding the opponents, just plain running their ass over, and then we had a nice cadre of receivers who not only could catch the ball and battle to get yards after catching the ball, took the hits and also served as downfield blockers. I realized we had an exceptional lineup, but everyone was part of a team, a team with a vision.

Smashmouth football, is football at it's finest.

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I demand more.

Excellent post.

vancejohnson82
04-28-2009, 07:10 AM
this was also the beginning of the end for Portis as far as SHanahan was concerned

this was when he was wearing the championship belt on the sideline right?

KS Bronco
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
i miss plummer and getting to the playoffs

~Crash~
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM
I miss al wilson the rest of the cumps no not really

misturanderson
04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I demand more.

I don't know what you're talking about. I've never seen anyone as good as Portis was at going into a pile-up at the line, one where I was sure he would lose yardage or get back to the line of scrimmage at best and yet he'd lower his shoulder and somehow end up falling out the other side for a 3 yard gain. It looked like he was diving under the pile half the time.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I think we're going to REALLY like this guy.

Immediately took over as a team leader when he cracked the starting lineup as a freshman in 2007. Not a vocal leader but leads by example. Great practice player. Ultra competitive. His relentless style of play is infectious.

Competitiveness and effort is outstanding in every aspect of the game. Not very big or overpowering as a runner, but he runs hard, uses good pad level and bounces off of a lot of would-be-tacklers like a pinball. Feet are seemingly always moving. Displays good ball security. Plays the game with a non-stop motor.

Decisive runner. Doesn't dance in the backfield. Only issue here is that he tends to bounce some runs outside when it's unnecessary. He displays excellent peripheral vision in the open field, though. Knows when he has the angle as a runner and when it's time to cut against the grain.

Very good initial quickness. Bursts through the line of scrimmage. Shows some elusiveness in space. Will make defenders miss more often than not when in one-on-one situations. Only concern in this facet of his game is the lack of an elite second-gear. He gets from 0-to-60 miles-per-hour very quickly but that's where he tops off.

Is shifty. Displays a very good center of gravity. Doesn't give defenders much of a target to hit. His balance is exceptional. Shows rare ability to take a hit, recover before a knee/elbow touches the turf, and then quickly regain his burst heading north. (see: 3rd quarter TD run with 13:04 remaining versus Vanderbilt). Moreno also makes himself small behind the offensive line and is very difficult to find because he changes direction and gets up-the-field so quickly.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24685

Don Flamenco
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I miss Cutler and was getting excited about his future. I love a good gunslinger and someone who can win games in the fourth quarter. Elway was my all time favorite Bronco, closely followed by TD.

However, the reason I am a Broncos fan has been the history and ability to run the ball. I love smash mouth, run it down your throat football. I'll take a team that runs well over one that passes well (although you need both). That's just my preference as a fan.

So, with the Moreno pick, I suddenly had a flashback to better years. Hopefully we have more of this next year. Remind yourself about our "history," and where we might be headed again...

PRO FOOTBALL; Portis Shreds Kansas City for 5 Touchdowns
Published: Monday, December 8, 2003
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

BRONCOS 45, CHIEFS 27

Clinton Portis had already scored four touchdowns, so Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer figured it was time to pound the ball into the line and salt away the victory.

But receiver Rod Smith had other ideas. He wanted Portis to score and finish things off right, so that's what Portis did.

He scored from 53 yards for his team-record fifth touchdown and finished with 218 yards, helping Denver stay in the American Football Conference playoff hunt with a wild 45-27 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

''Jake was like, 'Just protect the ball, let's move the ball and we can run out the clock,' '' said Portis, who finished 10 yards short of his career high, set in the final game of 2002.

''Rod was like, 'Just score.' And I did. I need to stop taking Jake's advice and listen to Rod more often.''

Portis impressed teammates with a 34-carry, 170-yard game in the rain last week against Oakland, but he was even better against the division-leading Chiefs.

He had touchdown runs of 11 and 1 yards in the first half, then added scores of 59, 28 and the final 53-yarder in the second.

Portis had 188 yards after halftime and finished with his fifth consecutive 100-yard game -- his third straight with at least 160 yards. He has 2,960 yards his first two seasons, moving past LaDainian Tomlinson (2,919) and Ottis Anderson (2,957) for fourth in league history.

Denver (8-5) tied Miami for the final A.F.C. playoff spot and prevented Kansas City (11-2) from winning its first division title since 1997.

Trent Green threw for 397 yards and Priest Holmes scored two touchdowns, but the Chiefs struggled after a big first half to lose for the second time in four weeks after a 9-0 start.

''I don't know what the problem was,'' Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil said. ''We couldn't make a first down; we couldn't stop them. When that happens, you're not going to win many football games.''

Denver scored on three of four possessions in the first half, and kept rolling in the second to finish with 508 yards.

The Broncos opened the third quarter with a 78-yard scoring drive, capped by Reuben Droughns's 3-yard touchdown catch to put the Broncos up by 24-21.

Portis took over from there.

He broke free up the middle on Denver's next drive, freezing safety Jerome Woods with a move around the 30 before going in for a 59-yard touchdown.

Portis seemed bottled up at the line on Denver's next drive, but he waited for the hole to open and burst through for a 28-yard touchdown.

He completed the rout on Denver's next play from scrimmage, going off left tackle to put the Broncos up by 45-21.

''It was an unbelievable day,'' Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield said. ''It was his day. Not ours.''

Photo: The Broncos' Clinton Portis, who had 218 yards rushing, on his way to a 28-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. (Photo by Associated Press)

I was at that game with my O'mane brethren. My first and only game... *sigh***

cmhargrove
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Seriously guys, this isn't a thread about Portis in particular. Portis in not Denver Bronco, Knowshon Moreno is.

It's all about the run game and beating down our division rivals with a brutal running attack - that's all. Forget Portis. This is not about Portis. Knowshon is not Portis. Did I say, no Portis?

It's about getting a respectable star in our backfield and having the potential for 5 rushing TD's in a game.

It's about beating a team, even when the opposing QB throws for 400 yards (read the article).

It's about beating the other team even when they also have a talented backfield.

That's my point. Not Portis, just the fact that we have found a game changing RB again.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
It's about beating a team, even when the opposing QB throws for 400 yards (read the article).

To play Devil's Advocate, I think almost every one of the Denver wins last season had to come this way.

bronco militia
04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
to bad the Broncos didn't play ****ty defenses like this in the playoffs.

SJ Bronco
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Am I getting that old? Forget Portis, I want TD, simon fletcher, and Steve atwater out of our first three picks....

BMarsh615
04-28-2009, 09:18 AM
I have never in my life seen a running back as quick as Clinton Portis was.

TonyR
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Barry Sanders?

BMarsh615
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Barry Sanders?

He probably was, but I never saw him play live. Every time I went to a game I was amazed at how quick he was. He just had a special burst.

SJ Bronco
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

You never saw Marshall Faulk I take it. That dude is incredible live. I have seen Barry Sanders in person. You missed out...