PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbits from BroncosTV Xanders Interview

chickennob2
04-28-2009, 12:50 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3277&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Video interview with Brian Xanders. I'll attempt to transcribe.

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, and he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

-- What are the challenges when you do have two picks that close to each other early on in the draft?

"Most of the teams in the league want to be in our spot because at 12 and 18 you're going to get 2 very good players, the contracts are not in the top 10, they fall down dramatically, and just the value of those players, those are good players all in that spot from 12 to about 22, and we nailed both of them. And then in the second round, we have a corner that's the number 1 corner on our board in the whole draft, you know, that was falling and we made the trade to get him. He's going to help our defense along with Robert Ayers, so it was exciting. You know the physical toughness of Moreno, Ayers, Alphonso Smith, McBath, Quinn all ties in to the themes that we had this whole offseason: we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production. We're extremely excited about everybody, from top to bottom, including a great college free agent class. We signed about 15 guys last night, and we're working on 3 more. we'll see how that goes. But from a draft perspective, we filled a lot of team needs with tough, smart, competitive, versatile players that all love football, all have great character, and we feel they're going to help us win games."

Also, in referring to Rick Dennison, it sounded like he said "Enrico", which I interpreted as "and Ricko", apparently a nickname I'd never heard before.

For the most part he just parroted what we've heard from McDaniels, but it sure sounds good. The fact that people were calling to trade up for Moreno was something I hadn't heard before.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3277&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, an he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

For the most part he just parroted what we've heard from McDaniels, but it sure sounds good. The fact that people were calling to trade up for Moreno was something I hadn't heard before.

Yes, Xanders should definitely be the person to articulate our agenda going forward. If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year. I think McDaniels' problem is that he doesn't seem to have any reverent regard for our history, even the parts that worked. I really hope Xanders' explanation for things is closer to the truth, because it's the first affirmative showing of respect to our tradition that I've seen.

That said, McDaniels himself seems too stubborn to "give it up" to fans of the pre-mcdaniels bronco essence, almost as if he is corporeally punishing the thought-crimes of his detractors. However, If McDaniels tells Knowshon to do an emphatic MILE HIGH SALUTE when he scores our first TD of the year, I think it might literally and symbolically repair the chasm.

If McDaniels has Orton throw an awesome fakeout TD to Spencer Larsen, and tells Larsen to act like he's been there before, then it may behoove me to consider the usual unsolicited advice re: the bears & me.

backup qb
04-28-2009, 03:58 AM
That is interesting regarding the teams trying to move up for Moreno. Other than that, he said exactly what you would expect to hear.

Pat Bowlen
04-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Yes, Xanders should definitely be the person to articulate our agenda going forward. If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year. I think McDaniels' problem is that he doesn't seem to have any reverent regard for our history, even the parts that worked. I really hope Xanders' explanation for things is closer to the truth, because it's the first affirmative showing of respect to our tradition that I've seen.

That said, McDaniels himself seems too stubborn to "give it up" to fans of the pre-mcdaniels bronco essence, almost as if he is corporeally punishing the thought-crimes of his detractors. However, If McDaniels tells Knowshon to do an emphatic MILE HIGH SALUTE when he scores our first TD of the year, I think it might literally and symbolically repair the chasm.

If McDaniels has Orton throw an awesome fakeout TD to Spencer Larsen, and tells Larsen to act like he's been there before, then it may behoove me to consider the usual unsolicited advice re: the bears & me.
Here's some unsolicited advice: calm down and enjoy the ride.

Dedhed
04-28-2009, 04:59 AM
If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year.

This is what I don't get. People who are in love with an 8-8 team that missed the playoffs with an historic collapse. Why, for the love of god, would you you hope to maintain continuity with that?

Paladin
04-28-2009, 06:13 AM

QFT.....

barryr
04-28-2009, 06:55 AM
People seemed content with a team that had a strong armed QB, but no defense, and mediocre at best special teams and this team was headed for something great? The defense and special teams have not been good for awhile now. It just didn't start last season like some apparently think and weren't paying attention the last few years especially.

You don't win consistently when you consistently lose the battle of field position, which has been happening with this team for many years now.

And apparently Shanahan was content himself to keep bringing back those coaches and considering his draft record with defensive players, one has a hard time objectively seeing how things were going to get better.

bowtown
04-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Shut up drunky! ;)

Man-Goblin
04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
I like Xanders. I think he has more influence than people think. For instance, McDaniels didn't even go to the Senior Bowl, but that is where Ayers shined.

gyldenlove
04-28-2009, 07:54 AM
People seemed content with a team that had a strong armed QB, but no defense, and mediocre at best special teams and this team was headed for something great? The defense and special teams have not been good for awhile now. It just didn't start last season like some apparently think and weren't paying attention the last few years especially.

You don't win consistently when you consistently lose the battle of field position, which has been happening with this team for many years now.

And apparently Shanahan was content himself to keep bringing back those coaches and considering his draft record with defensive players, one has a hard time objectively seeing how things were going to get better.

I don't think a lot of people were content with that.

I personally wasn't at all which is why I wasn't upset to see Shanahan go.

On the other hand of course, I am not at all content with a team that has a noodle-armed QB, no defense and a ****ty special teams. I don't see how this team has improved at all.

The defensive line is made up of people who failed misserably last year and other peoples garbage. The linebacker group is the same as last year except for Andra Davis. The secondary is better, but I am not convinced that they won't get killed anyway since I don't see our pass rush or our run defense as improved at all, then again we did spend 40 million and a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounc pick so it is no surprise it is improved really.

On special teams we have a new long snapper, I hope he improves the units a lot. We have the same kicker and punter, a bevy of low ranked returners and Royal whom we also had last year and unless a LOT of rookies stick around, I don't see where the change is going to come from.

My problem is not that a new head coach was brought in, my problem is that the new head coach seems to have done little or nothing to fix the major problems of the team (defense and special teams) and a lot to create new ones (QB).

chickennob2
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think a lot of people were content with that.

I personally wasn't at all which is why I wasn't upset to see Shanahan go.

On the other hand of course, I am not at all content with a team that has a noodle-armed QB, no defense and a ****ty special teams. I don't see how this team has improved at all.

The defensive line is made up of people who failed misserably last year and other peoples garbage. The linebacker group is the same as last year except for Andra Davis. The secondary is better, but I am not convinced that they won't get killed anyway since I don't see our pass rush or our run defense as improved at all, then again we did spend 40 million and a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounc pick so it is no surprise it is improved really.

On special teams we have a new long snapper, I hope he improves the units a lot. We have the same kicker and punter, a bevy of low ranked returners and Royal whom we also had last year and unless a LOT of rookies stick around, I don't see where the change is going to come from.

My problem is not that a new head coach was brought in, my problem is that the new head coach seems to have done little or nothing to fix the major problems of the team (defense and special teams) and a lot to create new ones (QB).

So Ayers either failed miserably last year, was someone else's garbage, or if you think he'll play linebacker, then he was on our roster last year. hmm, good to know.

And on special teams, we've added Darrell Reid, a coverage unit standout, the best STer in the draft in Bruton, as well as McBath and Quinn. ST is about more than just punter, kicker, and returner. These guys will all improve the coverage teams. Add in a young linebacker like that UDFA we picked up who sounds like a great ST guy, and I think special teams will be greatly improved.

outdoor_miner
04-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Not sure how you can say that about Special Teams. It seems that a lot of the players brought in were specifically targeted for their potential on S/T: Reid, Smith, Bruton, Paxton (although - doubtful he's an "upgrade"), and Arrington. I also believe I saw McKinley and McBath have experience on Special Teams. It seems to me that this is a big piece of what McDaniels has done.

Jens1893
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM

I didnīt love the 2008 Denver Broncos.

USMCBladerunner
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Did I read this correctly in that you are saying that you're sentiments on the Broncos are contingent on how the team scores and celebrates it's first touchdown???

WTF???

Do you even like football, or do the bright colors and funny dances just catch your fancy on Sundays?

I like the Mile High Salute as much as the next guy (well maybe not as much as you, but I like it), but I'd just like to see more touchdowns period. And if they are 2 yard passes to Liechtensteiger FTW, so be it.

OBF1
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Does anyone else think Knowshon looked like a bad ass scoring that TD wearing the black jersey???

Inkana7
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Bro, I did not love the 2008 Broncos. After the first 3 games and the Browns game, I rather hated them.

empulse
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I like Xanders. I think he has more influence than people think. For instance, McDaniels didn't even go to the Senior Bowl, but that is where Ayers shined.

Woo Hoo for 1 year wonders. . . . *Sulks*

lex
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, and he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

-- What are the challenges when you do have two picks that close to each other early on in the draft?

"Most of the teams in the league want to be in our spot because at 12 and 18 you're going to get 2 very good players, the contracts are not in the top 10, they fall down dramatically, and just the value of those players, those are good players all in that spot from 12 to about 22, and we nailed both of them. And then in the second round, we have a corner that's the number 1 corner on our board in the whole draft, you know, that was falling and we made the trade to get him. He's going to help our defense along with Robert Ayers, so it was exciting. You know the physical toughness of Moreno, Ayers, Alphonso Smith, McBath, Quinn all ties in to the themes that we had this whole offseason: we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production. We're extremely excited about everybody, from top to bottom, including a great college free agent class. We signed about 15 guys last night, and we're working on 3 more. we'll see how that goes. But from a draft perspective, we filled a lot of team needs with tough, smart, competitive, versatile players that all love football, all have great character, and we feel they're going to help us win games."

Also, in referring to Rick Dennison, it sounded like he said "Enrico", which I interpreted as "and Ricko", apparently a nickname I'd never heard before.

Notice how he did more than answer the question. It makes me wonder if he gave the interview so he could spin giving up so much in the the second.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him.

Given how long it took the Broncos to make that particular selection, I'm betting they did more than just listen to those offers.

Once Knowshon hears about this, I'll bet he goes home, shuts off his cell phone and demands a trade. You've been warned.

tsiguy96
04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him.

Given how long it took the Broncos to make that particular selection, I'm betting they did more than just listen to those offers.

Once Knowshon hears about this, I'll bet he goes home, shuts off his cell phone and demands a trade. You've been warned.

we are all waiting for it, that is how most professional football players handle business, right?

broncofan7
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
We got bent over in the 2nd round and everyone knows it. I must admit though , Smith came off VERY well polished in his press conference...hopefully his on field game is on par with his communication skills.

DomCasual
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Logo-bound - I like that!

tsiguy96
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM

go root for another team then, its honestly that simple.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM

That's a good analysis ...

jsco70
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM

we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production.

I'll believe it when I see it, but quote this makes sense to me. Therefore, I expect no more stupid offsides or motion penalties, no more missed routine tackles, WRs that run a 11 yard route when it's 3rd and 10, the offense needs to score red zone TDs as opposed to FGs, improved field position through special teams, and for the love of all things holy...no more celebrations after a tackle 5 yards downfield.

If McDaniels, Xander and crew can acheive these simple goals, then everything will turn out fine. Seems reasonable to me.

Popps
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I really hope Xanders' explanation for things is closer to the truth, because it's the first affirmative showing of respect to our tradition that I've seen.

Respect for tradition?

What new coach is brought in under those guidelines? Did Shanahan respect the Wade Phillips tradition when he came in?

We kept a good number of players and staff, but beyond that... the entire point of turning over your coaching staff is to create change. I don't think our head coach needs to go out of his way to make nice about the prior regime.

The Broncos won 1 playoff game in ten years. McDaniels came from a recent multiple-SB winning franchise. I'm just not sure why he would be compelled to walk on eggshells, and hence... he hasn't.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
and for the love of all things holy...no more celebrations after a tackle 5 yards downfield.

No worries .... Lenny Walls and Nate Webster are long gone ;D

listopencil
04-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Good Lord I'm already sick of this tired-ass bull****.

Look- we are all Bronco fans. Many of us have rooted for this team for decades and (hopefully) will continue to do so. **** you, and **** all the rest like you with your "true fan" nonsense. If you don't like it when fans express their honest discontent...go to another message board-because it's going to keep happening here.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Adding Griesen today is another big, physical player who is good on ST.

Broncos are going to be playing with a whole new mindset. I can't wait.

Rock Chalk
04-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Look- we are all Bronco fans. Many of us have rooted for this team for decades and (hopefully) will continue to do so. **** you, and **** all the rest like you with your "true fan" nonsense. If you don't like it when fans express their honest discontent...go to another message board-because it's going to keep happening here.

I dont mind discontent, or even disagreement with the way things are going.

However, when ALL you hear from these people is the same tired bull****, who can find NOTHING good in what has occurred since the end of last season, then it gets ****ing old, fast.

There has to be something good even the most douchebaggish hateful, spiteful fan can find but, no. They dont find it.

jsco70
04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I dont mind discontent, or even disagreement with the way things are going.

However, when ALL you hear from these people is the same tired bull****, who can find NOTHING good in what has occurred since the end of last season, then it gets ****ing old, fast.

There has to be something good even the most douchebaggish hateful, spiteful fan can find but, no. They dont find it.

Agree 100%. At this point all we can do as FANS is sit back and see how things unfold. All the moaning and groaning isn't going to change anything. Shanahan and Cutler are gone, McDaniels and Orten are in. It'd be great if everyone on this forum could just accept it and move on.

Sadly, the same posters who can't seem to get it over the changes will continue with negative post after negative post. God forbid, if when the season begins the Broncos struggle. This place will be unbearable. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some fans publicly and privately rooting for Denver to lose just to say "I told you so." Reminds me of Republicans rooting against Oba...oops...wrong forum.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
We got bent over in the 2nd round and everyone knows it. I must admit though , Smith came off VERY well polished in his press conference...hopefully his on field game is on par with his communication skills.

We don't have all the figures about running the Broncos so IMO we can't say. IMO it's very possible Mcdaniels didn't want all the money tied up in 4 first round picks over 2 yrs. Or he felt that Smith just really that good.

I saw a 2010 early mock which had seattle taking a CB with the pick we gave them lol, so you never know.

You don't get bent over unless the Smith picks works out, or the pick we could have had last yr is some amazing player. Actually IMO people seem to say each yr the talent in draft isn't that great, the next yr is better, then say the same thing the next yr.

Last yr they said no good WR, but both Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal had amazing years for rookies. If any of the first round WR this yr do as well as Royal and Jackson then they had a pretty good first yr.

lex
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM

No, its not that simple. The guy speaks out because he cares...probably cares more than leghumpers like you. "Fans" like you just mindlessly accept what youre spoonfed. Not everyone is that acquiescent...not everyone is a robot. Again, you should consider youself lucky to walk in the presence of such fans as Chatterboodham.

Inkana7
04-28-2009, 07:32 PM
No, its not that simple. The guy speaks out because he cares...probably cares more than leghumpers like you. "Fans" like you just mindlessly accept what youre spoonfed. Not everyone is that acquiescent...not everyone is a robot. Again, you should consider youself lucky to walk in the presence of such fans as Chatterboodham.

:rofl:

Shut the **** up, lex. Please.

Finger Roll
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Agree 100%.

Sadly, the same posters who can't seem to get it over the changes will continue with negative post after negative post. God forbid, if when the season begins the Broncos struggle. This place will be unbearable. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some fans publicly and privately rooting for Denver to lose just to say "I told you so." Reminds me of Republicans rooting against Oba...oops...wrong forum.

Which is the reason why I don't enjoy reading this forum much anymore. It's just negative crap after negative crap from the same people. I have so many people on ignore now because all they do is post negative crap. Even if the broncos were to sign a player for camp fodder this season they would go nuts and blast Mcdaniels for it.

kamakazi_kal
04-28-2009, 08:42 PM

DUDE ...... your gonna make him cry, WTF?

kamakazi_kal
04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Which is the reason why I don't enjoy reading this forum much anymore. It's just negative crap after negative crap from the same people. I have so many people on ignore now because all they do is post negative crap. Even if the broncos were to sign a player for camp fodder this season they would go nuts and blast Mcdaniels for it.

It would sure help if he addressed the biggest problem on this team the DL in FA or the damn draft. As I see it were gonna get run all over .....again. That's the biggest gripe I have personally ... Mcd and Xanders are "tackling" the smaller problems and messing with the things that were at worst decent.

If you want sunshine and rainbow kisses ...... well your screwed.

Where's Plummer???
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
http://static.flickr.com/1386/1152406656_65890d520e.jpg

he knows all...

Finger Roll
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
It would sure help if he addressed the biggest problem on this team the DL in FA or the damn draft. As I see it were gonna get run all over .....again. That's the biggest gripe I have personally ... Mcd and Xanders are "tackling" the smaller problems and messing with the things that were at worst decent.

I don't mind being critical of the team but some people just won't shut the f up. I've was one of Shanahan's biggest critics and wanted him fired after this season. I thought he drafted defense about as well corpes. But I wasn't posting negative crap every post to make a point. Nobody wants to read some whiney post half the time it's annoying and childish.

jsco70
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Serious question not necessarily for you but since I'm using your quote...how exactly does the fact the Broncos will be "run over again" affect you? From the tone of many posters on this site and others, it's apparent the success of *insert favorite NFL team here* drives emotional well being and a sense of self worth.

Does it really bother you so much when your "team" loses a game? Seriously, this isn't life and death here, and there are probably a million other things in life that justify the type of responses regarding the current state of the Denver Broncos. I guess could understand if you were the team owner, your kid was coaching/playing, etc.

I've said it before and I guess my advice falls on deaf ears. We're discussing a kids game that's designed to "entertain" the unwashed masses. A lot of people would do themselves a favor if they would acknowledge this simple fact.

I'd be interested in thoughts on this. Why in the hell is this causing such a meltdown? Why do sports cause such drama?

ton80
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Notice how he did more than answer the question. It makes me wonder if he gave the interview so he could spin giving up so much in the the second.

Xanders is obviously full of **** since he gave a thorough answer. I would agree with that.

alpine
04-29-2009, 01:33 AM
QFT.