PDA

View Full Version : Simple question: Who do you predict will win the starting QB position?

lex
04-28-2009, 12:16 AM
OK, thought Id change it up with something thats not draft related. If someone posted this poll, excuse me, but I couldnt recall one asking this specific question.

poll to follow

Popps
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
I'll guess Orton, but if Simms is healthy... I expect a fierce competition. He's a smart QB who can make a lot of the throws McD will ask him to make.

I truly believe it'll be an open competition. Even the rookie could win the job. Should be fun to watch.

chickennob2
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
What, no Tom Bradystarter?

lex
04-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I'll guess Orton, but if Simms is healthy... I expect a fierce competition. He's a smart QB who can make a lot of the throws McD will ask him to make.

I truly believe it'll be an open competition. Even the rookie could win the job. Should be fun to watch.

It seems like Simms has the stronger arm. If its close otherwise, I wonder if that will be a deciding factor since the stronger arm makes the defense defend more of the field. Orton seems more like the check down manager type though. I just wonder if that, at some point, will bog down the offense due to saturation inside the box.

BroncoDoug
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Orton has more starting experience then Simms.

Popps
04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
It seems like Simms has the stronger arm. If its close otherwise, I wonder if that will be a deciding factor since the stronger arm makes the defense defend more of the field. Orton seems more like the check down manager type though. I just wonder if that, at some point, will bog down the offense due to saturation inside the box.

Could be. Orton throws a fairly good medium-range ball, though. He just doesn't throw an accurate deep ball. He CAN throw it deep. Reports are that he has a strong arm, but just doesn't thread the needle on long balls very well.

I just think Simms is a tough, smart QB... and guys like that often find themselves starting, even if they don't have elite arms.

phisig150
04-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Could be. Orton throws a fairly good medium-range ball, though. He just doesn't throw an accurate deep ball. He CAN throw it deep. Reports are that he has a strong arm, but just doesn't thread the needle on long balls very well.

I just think Simms is a tough, smart QB... and guys like that often find themselves starting, even if they don't have elite arms.

But Orton seems tough too, no? Plus he has a beard. i like that in a QB.

FireFly
04-28-2009, 02:14 AM

If I'm not mistaken the most winning QB in recent Broncos history (since Elway) also had a beard! :strong:

TDmvp
04-28-2009, 02:17 AM
http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/music/slideshow/vfestival2007/img_2.jpg

Dexter
04-28-2009, 02:26 AM
It has to be Orton. There is no way our new rookie will win the starting job. Orton has the most experience, and has more potential in this system than Simms does in my opinion.

Atwater His Ass
04-28-2009, 02:39 AM
cripple fight

TDmvp
04-28-2009, 02:40 AM
cripple fight

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

backup qb
04-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Orton unfortunately.

backup qb
04-28-2009, 03:55 AM
I'd rather watch a forty something Brister than Orton or Simms.

spdirty
04-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Hell shouldnt even be close, Orton. That guy was a pro bowl quarterback last year, till he sprained his ankle. Plus he is the guy that McDaniels wanted for Cutler, so let him be the guy.

footstepsfrom#27
04-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Does it matter?

The Joker
04-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Does it matter?

Yeah, pretty much.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Kyle Orton will start, and he'll convert the haters.

cmhargrove
04-28-2009, 05:44 AM
I think it will be Chris Baker, NT - Hampton.

A big fat NT is going to solve everything, right?

Mogulseeker
04-28-2009, 05:50 AM
http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/music/slideshow/vfestival2007/img_2.jpg

You want Dave Grohl to be our quarterback?

The dude's like 40, 5'11", skinny as a twig, and smokes a pack a day. I'm pretty sure he'd fail the league's substance abuse policy as well.

socalorado
04-28-2009, 05:58 AM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/83034219.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19303D83A05122D23699BE49EC18007C759 5A5397277B4DC33E

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Orton has more starting experience then Simms.

And a better record as a starter.

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 06:44 AM

Fierce? Neither of these guys would start on 28 of the other pro franchises in the NFL, there is nothing fierce about 2 career benchwarmers having a cripple fight to the starting QB spot in Denver now that the only real QB in town is gone.

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
And a better record as a starter.

When are you going to get it through your thick head that pro football is a team sport, and the win/loss record is a reflection of how good the TEAM is?

Who is a better QB, Trent Dilfer or Dan Fouts?

God damn, you are one stupid bastard. Thank god you aren't running anything resembling a pro football team

rugbythug
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
When are you going to get it through your thick head that pro football is a team sport, and the win/loss record is a reflection of how good the TEAM is?

Who is a better QB, Trent Dilfer or Dan Fouts?

God damn, you are one stupid bastard. Thank god you aren't running anything resembling a pro football team

Please Go home and punch yourself in the face.

lex
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I have misgivings with McDaniels and moreso Bowlen. But Im trying not to hold it against Orton. I dont think he has the upside Cutler does but I think both guys were kind of on the ascent but with Jay having more upside. But I think theyve evolved from opposite ends of the spectrum. Orton has been in a position where he was asked to be judicious. Cutler on the other hand has been given the freedom to learn from his mistakes and taking chances. So the two have been working their way to improvement from opposite ends of the spectrum.

I thought we became too pass happy and some of it was aimed at appeasing Cutler. Remember that Shanahan, as great as he was, probably listened to his players too much, which is how we ended up with Slowik possibly (Champ lobbied for him). If having Cutler means appeasing him and being a pass happy team, Im ok with someone else. Toward the end of the season, I was sensing this Cutler appeasement was going on and I wasnt that thrilled with it. But at least he was a Bronco and not a Patriot. Im really hoping McDaniels gets us back to having more balance. I have my doubts but thats what I hope. If having Orton means having more balance it may not be so bad. At the same time there are elements of the NE offens that I hate.

I just wish Orton had more of an arm to keep guys out of the box. Thats one reason I think Simms has a chance.

SouthStndJunkie
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Cowboy Kyle Orton

bombquixote
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Simms has more raw talent, is tough and was badly mismanaged in Tampa. Given some solid coaching, and our offensive line, I think he might surprise us.

kamakazi_kal
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Kyle Orton will start, and he'll convert the haters.

yeah convert them to simms fans or mcd haters.

gyldenlove
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Ultimately I think Orton will start.

Pick Six
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Cutler was traded for Orton. Ergo, Orton is going to be the presumed starter...

telluride
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Jeff Garcia also has a beard:

http://beerandseeds.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

BroncoBuff
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Chris Simms will win the competition handily ... we might even know it's him before the first pre-season game.

FWIW, I've probably watched more of Simms than most ... I watched the Bucs early games on the Ticket in '05 and early '06 (my gf thinks Gruden is yummy :oyvey:) ...

I'm tellin ya, Chris Simms is a very accurate passer, and very tough. He doesn't lock onto one reciever - he keeps his eyes scanning upfield at all times - even while on the move - which is one of my favorite traits in a quarterback, I always look for that. And Simms is a gamer ... he pushes drives up the field with energy, with his personality.

I thought the Bucs were set for a long time with this guy ... to this day I don't understand why Gruden and the team soured on him and treated him so badly after the spleen thing ... ???

And he ruptured the spleen on a major gutsy run into the end zone if I recall correctly.

Punisher
04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Tom Brandstater

Pony Boy
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Orton ran a very complex offense at Purdue and will be heads above Sims in the learning curve. Tom B. will have the luxury to sit back and learn the system and Sims will have a short Denver career.

dbfan4life
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
You want Dave Grohl to be our quarterback?

The dude's like 40, 5'11", skinny as a twig, and smokes a pack a day. I'm pretty sure he'd fail the league's substance abuse policy as well.

I don't know but he looks an awful lot like this guy.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn44/ecardo5/Orton.jpg

I think that's who he was referring to.

bombquixote
04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I would so pay to see Dave Grohl play quarterback.

TheDave
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Flip a coin... At this point Orton has the inside track, but things change quickly around here.

ak1971
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I would so pay to see Dave Grohl play quarterback.

that would be awesome for the last pre-season game. just throw random celebs in. I may actually have to go for that.

outdoor_miner
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I have misgivings with McDaniels and moreso Bowlen. But Im trying not to hold it against Orton. I dont think he has the upside Cutler does but I think both guys were kind of on the ascent but with Jay having more upside. But I think theyve evolved from opposite ends of the spectrum. Orton has been in a position where he was asked to be judicious. Cutler on the other hand has been given the freedom to learn from his mistakes and taking chances. So the two have been working their way to improvement from opposite ends of the spectrum.

I thought we became too pass happy and some of it was aimed at appeasing Cutler. Remember that Shanahan, as great as he was, probably listened to his players too much, which is how we ended up with Slowik possibly (Champ lobbied for him). If having Cutler means appeasing him and being a pass happy team, Im ok with someone else. Toward the end of the season, I was sensing this Cutler appeasement was going on and I wasnt that thrilled with it. But at least he was a Bronco and not a Patriot. Im really hoping McDaniels gets us back to having more balance. I have my doubts but thats what I hope. If having Orton means having more balance it may not be so bad. At the same time there are elements of the NE offens that I hate.

I just wish Orton had more of an arm to keep guys out of the box. Thats one reason I think Simms has a chance.

Hey! This is a good post!!! :)

I agree with your appeasement theory, and that Shanahan did not do a good enough job reigning Cutler in. By the end of last year, I was starting to feel my first tinges of disappointment in Jay's growth as a qb (it was his "3rd year in the system" as Shanahan liked to say), as he was still making the same mistakes that have plagued him since 2006. It's also probably why Cutler took it so hard when McDaniels "snubbed" him. He was so used to being coddled and getting his way that it was a complete shock to be told he was just another guy on the team.

I followed Orton a bit last year (he was my fantasy qb for a portion of the year), and I agree that he was on the ascent. He has nowhere near Jay's talent, but I think he can be a solid qb in this league. I still don't understand what the hell happened between Gruden and Simms in Tampa. He goes from having a near-fatal injury to being snubbed by his coach? Doesn't make sense. I'm actually interested in what both these guys can do. In my opinion, they both fit the mold of quarterback's that can experience career revivals a la Rich Gannon or Trent Green. That's an optimistic viewpoint, but what can I say... I'm an optimist.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I followed Orton a bit last year (he was my fantasy qb for a portion of the year), and I agree that he was on the ascent. He has nowhere near Jay's talent, but I think he can be a solid qb in this league.

I dunno much about Orton ... but I do know his completion percentages are low, and that Lovie benched him more than once for Rex Grossman.

lex
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey! This is a good post!!! :)

I agree with your appeasement theory, and that Shanahan did not do a good enough job reigning Cutler in. By the end of last year, I was starting to feel my first tinges of disappointment in Jay's growth as a qb (it was his "3rd year in the system" as Shanahan liked to say), as he was still making the same mistakes that have plagued him since 2006. It's also probably why Cutler took it so hard when McDaniels "snubbed" him. He was so used to being coddled and getting his way that it was a complete shock to be told he was just another guy on the team.

I followed Orton a bit last year (he was my fantasy qb for a portion of the year), and I agree that he was on the ascent. He has nowhere near Jay's talent, but I think he can be a solid qb in this league. I still don't understand what the hell happened between Gruden and Simms in Tampa. He goes from having a near-fatal injury to being snubbed by his coach? Doesn't make sense. I'm actually interested in what both these guys can do. In my opinion, they both fit the mold of quarterback's that can experience career revivals a la Rich Gannon or Trent Green. That's an optimistic viewpoint, but what can I say... I'm an optimist.

I think Shanahan fell in love with this whole reputation he had of not needing talent at RB and so he pushed it too far. Last year it blew up in his face and as a result, pushed Cutler further out on a limb than was intended in terms of carrying the offense. I think the passing game last year kind of went from calculated aggression, to predictable and desperate because of a lack of a running game (due to injuries).

As much as I liked watching Cutlers awesome throws, I dont want an offense thats all about how awesome the QB is. We had one of the greatest QBs of all time and won SBs because of an epic running game. I dont know why we would ever turn our back on this in spite of rules changes that all but give QBs a red jersey (like they wear in practice).

In the end, I think ego/hubris was Shanahan's undoing.

Trust me, I have a bigger axe to grind against McDaniels than I did/do Cutler but, I wasnt really that fond of the whole makeup of last years team even though it was fun to watch Cutler light it up at times. I mean, if Elway himself, couldnt do it all himself, why would you ever turn your back on a running game because of your own ego (Shanahans). Again, it was hubris. But at the same time, I have these same concerns with McDaniels since he lost a SB because of this.

BroncoBuff
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I still don't understand what the hell happened between Gruden and Simms in Tampa. He goes from having a near-fatal injury to being snubbed by his coach? Doesn't make sense.

I asked the same question ... I've seen most of Simms starts, and he was a gamer, big potential.

Maybe there's something about him personallky that we don't know ???

He does take alotta sacks ... could that be it? Some coaches get really red-hot when the QB doesn't throw the damn ball way, and Gruden's always been a temper guy ...

lostknight
04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I like Simms potential, I worry about arm strength.

socalorado
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't know but he looks an awful lot like this guy.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn44/ecardo5/Orton.jpg

I think that's who he was referring to.

He is just one fugly,weird lookin motherf***er!
Hes just gotta be the starter!

outdoor_miner
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I dunno much about Orton ... but I do know his completion percentages are low, and that Lovie benched him more than once for Rex Grossman.

Don't forget that Grossman is an ex First Round pick who has some serious physical Tools. The Bears gave him every chance possible because of the investment they made in him and his physical potential. He ultimately failed because he could never get it together mentally. However, it does provide some reasoning as to why the Bears kept going back to Rex.

bombquixote
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
that would be awesome for the last pre-season game. just throw random celebs in. I may actually have to go for that.

Totally. I'd love to see Tamba Hali picking pieces of Asher Roth from his teeth.

Mogulseeker
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
He is just one fugly,weird lookin mother****er!
Hes just gotta be the starter!

He looks like a quarterback.

kamakazi_kal
04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=outdoor_miner;2401840]

I followed Orton a bit last year (he was my fantasy qb for a portion of the year), QUOTE]

GOOD GOD man...... I hope their wasn't money involved.