PDA

View Full Version : Our Offense is set for years to come(except qb), and our D is better than last year.

PaintballCLE
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Many of you hate this draft, but I can't understand why!

We took players that can make an impact right away, filled in gaps remaining in our offense, and made our defense better....Why all the hate?

We now have our franchise RB, something we have been lacking since portis left. (this will also make the job easier for Orton/Simms)

We have a stud FB/RB in hillis.

We have a very Good O-line

We got our blocking tight end.

We have above average recievers.

The best part about it, is most of them are young and we are set for years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We went 8-8 last year with the worst defense in the league.

We are deffinately better at Safety this year.

We are better at CB this year

We have a better D line this year (ayers should be good as a rookie, and has POTENTIAL to be a very very good player) and for those of you who are worried about the 3-4 and not having a NT....... i honestly think we are going to be playing 4-3 this year more than any of you anticipate.

Lb, is still our weak point. But getting rid of winborn, and niko helps. gives younger guys like woodyard and larson to play more.

our special teams are upgraded as well. Many of the guys we took in the draft were ST studs.

I agree we aren't "there" yet, and we have a brutal schedule on paper, but so does everyone else in the AFC west.

OABB
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
go broncos!

Atwater His Ass
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
How is our D better again? Our DL doesn't look much different than last year, and that's the problem. I could care less if we have 4 all-pro DB's playing behind them. If you can't pressure the QB or stop the run, it doesn't matter.

Nothing has changed on the defense.

TDmvp
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.comments.zingerbugimages.com/glitter_graphics/go_broncos_finger.gif

OABB
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
How is our D better again? Our DL doesn't look much different than last year, and that's the problem. I could care less if we have 4 all-pro DB's playing behind them. If you can't pressure the QB or stop the run, it doesn't matter.

I guess a new d coordinator, dline coach, lb coach, a 1st round pick at de and two- possibly three -new tackles is the same?(fields, powell and baker)

BroncoBuff
Good, positive thread, but .... "Above average recievers"?

B-Marsh and Royal .... above average?!

If the Cards trade Boldin, we might have the best pair of wideouts in the league by season's end.

Knowshon and Hillis together boggles my mind with JOY MUTHA****ERS!!

Br0nc0Buster

We didnt lose any good players on defense, and we added talent through the draft and FA
Also we got competent coaches.

On paper our defense improved.

Surely you can understand the god awful schemes we ran last year played a role in the suckage our defense displayed.

Los Broncos
04-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Just thinking about losing Cutler now makes me sick to my stomach.

PaintballCLE
04-27-2009, 08:47 PM

If the Cards trade Boldin, we might have the best pair of wideouts in the league by season's end.

well..... they are above average. Neither is a Great one......i think marshall had potential to be great, but it seemed he really faded down the stretch.

Br0nc0Buster
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM

We didnt "lose" him
He chose to leave

PaintballCLE
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
just think: If orton or simms works out, and we use next years draft on defense.....we could be a very very good team.

Los Broncos
04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
We didnt "lose" him
He chose to leave

We him leaving makes me sick, just sucks man.

Br0nc0Buster
04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
well..... they are above average. Neither is a Great one......i think marshall had potential to be great, but it seemed he really faded down the stretch.

he was also playing with a bum hip
Marshall is a great player, just needs to stay focused and avoid the off field drama

rastaman
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM

We took players that can make an impact right away, filled in gaps remaining in our offense, and made our defense better....Why all the hate?

We now have our franchise RB, something we have been lacking since portis left. (this will also make the job easier for Orton/Simms)

The best part about it, is most of them are young and we are set for years to come.

We have a better D line this year (ayers should be good as a rookie, and has POTENTIAL to be a very very good player) and for those of you who are worried about the 3-4 and not having a NT....... i honestly think we are going to be playing 4-3 this year more than any of you anticipate.

Lb, is still our weak point. But getting rid of winborn, and niko helps. gives younger guys like woodyard and larson to play more.

our special teams are upgraded as well. Many of the guys we took in the draft were ST studs.

I agree we aren't "there" yet, and we have a brutal schedule on paper, but so does everyone else in the AFC west.

Your offense ain't SET! Without a Franchise QB!!!! OOps! my bad, we had FRANCHISE QB and we traded him. Ummmmmm go figure.

Gcver2ver3
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM

i honestly don't see how you can say that...

TBO, our D couldn't be any worse than last year, but even with that said...CLEARLY our secondary is upgraded...our secondary last year was actually even worse than our D-line, and thats saying something...

adding Ayers and most importantly adding a DC that actually knows what he's doing already has the D better...

as bad as some of our players were, Slowik was the worst part (well that and our safeties)...

we'll get pressure with Dumervil and Ayers coming after the QB...

SportinOne
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Our offense was already set for years before McDaniels arrived.

So let me ask you this:

Which is easier to find? A running back the quality of Moreno or a quarterback the quality of Cutler?

Another question:

Which position, QB or RB, is easier to plug a new guy into and get quick results? I'll give you a hint, it's the guy who needs to touch the ball on every snap.

While I'm excited to see how Moreno does, McDaniels didn't make our offense better. With the zone blocking scheme they have proven anyone can run in Denver. He took the scheme away and put in an "elite" running which will give the same results.

Again, I must remind you that the QB controversy in Denver is between Kyle Orton and Chris Simms... The latter of which, I believe, is now being paid more than we were paying Cutler (per year).

I'm hopeful, but it seems as though a lot of these moves are being made just so that McDaniels gets HIS guy in there.

Going to bed, don't bother replying with some stupid McD nut-hugger "you're not a fan" BS. That's just my opinion take it or leave it..

Here is one thing to be excited about, though.. In two years, or less, we might have the best running back in the AFC West.

s0phr0syne
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Again, I must remind you that the QB controversy in Denver is between Kyle Orton and Chris Simms... The latter of which, I believe, is now being paid more than we were paying Cutler (per year).

I'm hopeful, but it seems as though a lot of these moves are being made just so that McDaniels gets HIS guy in there.

Going to bed, don't bother replying with some stupid McD nut-hugger "you're not a fan" BS. That's just my opinion take it or leave it..

Here is one thing to be excited about, though.. In two years, or less, we might have the best running back in the AFC West.

I think this is an important thread, and it helps put things in perspective for me (maybe it was obvious to everyone else). You're right, even though we failed to addressed the D's front 7 as aggressively as we wanted to, the players we've brought in via FA (and just as importantly, the players we let depart) should automatically at the very least improve our defense. Scrapping the 10 yard cushions for the WRs should be VERY beneficial, and a big part of that is the 2 higher quality safeties we got in FA, and the 3 DBs we drafted.

The coaching staff McD put together looks phenomenal on paper--Nolan is known for his ability to develop LBs, and on top of that the Raider's LB coach was responsible for developing some studs in the last couple of years. Can't say too much about our new secondary coach, but I think that SD's D-line coach has to be an improvement over what our guys had been receiving the last 2 years.

All in all, the Defense should be better.

Still, it's hard not to wonder what could have been if Cutler could have been retained. Cuter+this draft+improved Defense would have been amazing. We'll see what Orton/Simms can do to keep this team together.

prodigalson139
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
With all the hysteria of not addressing the front 7, many people have lost perspective on the new coaching aspect of the new regime. I loved Mike Shanahan, but the defenses he has fielded, save a few stretches of exceptional play (start of 2006 season for example), were ABSOLUTELY terrible. From the outside looking in the coaches were not effective teachers. It seemed that they could not draw out talent and encourage actual growth as a football player.

This is what I think will be the 'X' factor in this team. I am pretty confident that the new coaches (MC D brought in teachers, not yes men) will work hard to instill the qualities deemed important to the new regime (tough, smart, physical, football players who can play under pressure - all of this was noticeably absent for the majority of players at the TALE END of Shanahan's regime).

I, for one am at least excited about the overall direction and will give the new regime at least some time before I start throwing spears.

spdirty
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Dont ever assume anything is "set" for years to come with McDaniels. We may have a great collection of young talent on offense, but never underestimate his ability to screw shlt up.

OABB
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Dont ever assume anything is "set" for years to come with McDaniels. We may have a great collection of young talent on offense, but never underestimate his ability to screw shlt up.

aw jeez....

not this shlt again.

spdirty
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
aw jeez....

not this shlt again.

well, sorry but I'm done getting excited about this shanahan-less team till they show me something I like. I'll always watch and root, but as far as excitement, nada.

PaintballCLE
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Another question:

Which position, QB or RB, is easier to plug a new guy into and get quick results? I'll give you a hint, it's the guy who needs to touch the ball on every snap.

THE CENTER!

lex
04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Here is an interesting discussion about Robert Ayers wher Mayock says he has seen enough tape and is convinced Ayers will be the best defensive player in 3 years.

http://http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fad7f4

OABB
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
well, sorry but I'm done getting excited about this shanahan-less team till they show me something I like. I'll always watch and root, but as far as excitement, nada.

it's april dude....april. What excitement can you expect now?

Atwater His Ass
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
i honestly don't see how you can say that...

TBO, our D couldn't be any worse than last year, but even with that said...CLEARLY our secondary is upgraded...our secondary last year was actually even worse than our D-line, and thats saying something...

adding Ayers and most importantly adding a DC that actually knows what he's doing already has the D better...

as bad as some of our players were, Slowik was the worst part (well that and our safeties)...

we'll get pressure with Dumervil and Ayers coming after the QB...

So you think coaching and adding a 3-4 rookie OLB is going to shore up the defense?

How is Dawkins and Bailey any different than say Lynch and Bailey?

Our DL was trash before Shanahan got fired. It's trash now after McD's first draft. Talk up the coaching angle all you want, but the fact remains our front 7 is horrible, espcially along the DL.

How many of our front 7 projected starters would be starting on other teams? Once you answer that question, it becomes crystal clear how bad this defense really is.

I don't see any improvement from our defense this year based on what we have right now.

Kaylore
04-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Slowik gone immediately makes this a better defense. Adding Nolan, even better. With the new players and new scheme, I'm confident we won't be anywhere close to as bad as we were on defense.

Dudeskey
04-27-2009, 11:19 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/45/hama0.jpg

Ambiguous
04-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Offense is not better on paper, but I'm still more optimistic than I was right after Cutler left.

Just the fact that Shanny is gone means we won't be hovering around .500 after an end of the season meltdown, which I could count on pretty much every year for the past decade.

I think we'll be really bad or much better, but not mediocre. Whatever happens it will be interesting - it's not just going to be another year.

DBroncos4life
04-27-2009, 11:46 PM
We go as far as Orton can take us. The D has to be improved its not possible for it not to be.

Elway777
04-27-2009, 11:47 PM

I agree we aren't "there" yet, and we have a brutal schedule on paper, but so does everyone else in the AFC west. I hope your right and we make the playoff. I just hate the fact that we traded away Cutler plus our first round pick next year. I hate the fact that we passed on Orakapo and drafted 2 defensive backs in round 2 instead of a players that fit the new 3-4 system.Hopefully Ayers comes up big , Moreno becomes the next TD and better defensive coaches get the most out of our players. Maybe they can also get Vonnie Holliday and Jason taylor as free agents.

chaz
04-27-2009, 11:48 PM
just think: If orton or simms works out, and we use next years draft on defense.....we could be a very very good team.

And if my aunt was man she'd be my uncle...doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

OrangeRising
04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Slowik gone immediately makes this a better defense. Adding Nolan, even better. With the new players and new scheme, I'm confident we won't be anywhere close to as bad as we were on defense.

This I can agree with.

I do wish he had more to work with, but whatever he has, I believe he will make them as effective as they can be.

Another thing; if Denver could simply minimize the starting position of opponents, things will probably improve markedly. The Broncos may have fielded an awful defense, but, they often were having to defense a 40-50 yard field.

If our Special Teams improve, our defensive stats will follow, regardless of personnel.

dsmoot
04-28-2009, 01:54 AM
I think this is an important thread, and it helps put things in perspective for me (maybe it was obvious to everyone else). You're right, even though we failed to addressed the D's front 7 as aggressively as we wanted to, the players we've brought in via FA (and just as importantly, the players we let depart) should automatically at the very least improve our defense. Scrapping the 10 yard cushions for the WRs should be VERY beneficial, and a big part of that is the 2 higher quality safeties we got in FA, and the 3 DBs we drafted.

The coaching staff McD put together looks phenomenal on paper--Nolan is known for his ability to develop LBs, and on top of that the Raider's LB coach was responsible for developing some studs in the last couple of years. Can't say too much about our new secondary coach, but I think that SD's D-line coach has to be an improvement over what our guys had been receiving the last 2 years.

All in all, the Defense should be better.

Still, it's hard not to wonder what could have been if Cutler could have been retained. Cuter+this draft+improved Defense would have been amazing. We'll see what Orton/Simms can do to keep this team together.

Let me ask a question about Nolan. Has he ever rebuilt a defense from the status of our current group of players or was he handed a team like the Ravens that had significant talent on board and kept the status quo. Why do we have reason to be so sold on him as a coordinator.

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 02:39 AM

I got something for that.

Atwater His Ass
04-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Another thing; if Denver could simply minimize the starting position of opponents, things will probably improve markedly. The Broncos may have fielded an awful defense, but, they often were having to defense a 40-50 yard field.

What was the difference from 1 to 32 in average field position when starting a drive last season in the NFL?

cutthemdown
04-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Let me ask a question about Nolan. Has he ever rebuilt a defense from the status of our current group of players or was he handed a team like the Ravens that had significant talent on board and kept the status quo. Why do we have reason to be so sold on him as a coordinator.

Well he was thought enough of to be considered head coach material, but he didn't do very well. He built some good defenses but IMO it wasn't all Slowik fault last yr. Honestly the tackling was atrocious but IMO the biggest culprits were the safety's. Safteys stop the good plays from becoming big plays and our safetys just didn't get that done.

I really don't think the dline played that bad but it boggled my mind why we make dends line up so close to the OT. On 3rd down most big sack DE get to line up wider. I think it was because our safety's were incapable of coming up and helping out on 3rd down runs. They had no range, no box ability, no coverage ability, nothing, they were the worst scrubs ever put on the field by any Broncos team I can remember.

I think Dooms hand stopped him from doing well, its his long arms and quick hands that allow him to operate.

Marcus Thomas should be a little stronger. Engleberger is replaced with Ayers, yeah I can see defense being better.

Andra Davis better in the middle then Webster and maybe even Boss Bailey can contribute this yr you never know.

At CB Goodman is probably about the same as Bly but I think he gets burnt less, plays more conservative. The rookie Smith I bet plays a lot and will be better and quicker turning his hips then foxworth.

I've been trying to scour the web for clips on Alphonso Smith, found some. He doesn't have elite speed but he is super fluid turning his hips, getting out of his backpeddle and up to full speed. To me that is more important then running a 4.4

So we will be much much better at FS and SS. A little better at LB. A little better at Dline, a little better at CB, a little better at RB but a whole lot worst at QB.

I totally understand why people are bummed, but I know eventually all of you will come around and be over it like I am. I never liked the way Cutler carried himself on the field. I thought he was arrogant and careless. I thought he seemed to not understand how to play with a lead or how to manage the clock.

I loved his arm and was hoping and thinking if he buckled down and kept working hard he would be the most dangerous arm in the NFL. He still may become that but I seriously doubt that his game gets better. I think he is happy right were it is and will just play reckless his whole career.

Willynowei
04-28-2009, 06:28 AM

I see, so a guy who didn't play a down in the NFL is a franchise running back, simply because the talking heads say so. But the two guys who combine for nearly 2500 yards receiving are just above average. ???

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 06:33 AM
We didnt "lose" him
He chose to leave

LOL no, we definitely lost him.

baja
04-28-2009, 06:34 AM

I'd like to recommend a name change for you, drop Atwater His and add Pain in everyone's

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
I guess a new d coordinator, dline coach, lb coach, a 1st round pick at de and two- possibly three -new tackles is the same?(fields, powell and baker)

Here's what people are forgetting

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Offense is not better on paper, but I'm still more optimistic than I was right after Cutler left.

Just the fact that Shanny is gone means we won't be hovering around .500 after an end of the season meltdown, which I could count on pretty much every year for the past decade.

I think we'll be really bad or much better, but not mediocre. Whatever happens it will be interesting - it's not just going to be another year.

DEN 2000 11 5 0 .688
DEN 2001 8 8 0 .500
DEN 2002 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2003 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2004 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2005 13 3 0 .813
DEN 2006 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2007 7 9 0 .438
DEN 2008 8 8 0 .500

Just another year of winning, yeah that really sucked having a hall of fame coach who put a winning product on the field nearly every year running the team. Some of you are just ludicrous in your inability to recall factually what took place in Denver professional football during Shanahan's reign, he spoiled you to the degree that you simply must lie in order to justify your ridiculous points of view.

TailgateNut
04-28-2009, 06:41 AM

Could this be the SECOND positive post I've stumbled on this morning? Un-F-ing-be-lieve-able!

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Here's what people are forgetting

the dline coach being gone is one of the major positives I see with this new regime. Now if we only had a Qb....

barryr
04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
DEN 2000 11 5 0 .688
DEN 2001 8 8 0 .500
DEN 2002 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2003 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2004 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2005 13 3 0 .813
DEN 2006 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2007 7 9 0 .438
DEN 2008 8 8 0 .500

Just another year of winning, yeah that really sucked having a hall of fame coach who put a winning product on the field nearly every year running the team. Some of you are just ludicrous in your inability to recall factually what took place in Denver professional football during Shanahan's reign, he spoiled you to the degree that you simply must lie in order to justify your ridiculous points of view.

How about posting the Broncos playoff performance the last 10 years.

barryr
04-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Shanahan was going to keep his inept DC and DL coach too, so the improvement was going to come how on defense? How many busts did Shahahan have over the last 5 years when it came to defense in the first 3 rounds of the draft. The list is long, but he was going to get it right this time? Whatever.

TailgateNut
04-28-2009, 06:44 AM

We may not be at the "Eddie and Rod show" and we don't have TD and Griffith, and the Duke isn't behind center, but I'm looking forward to the season. Regardless of record, it will be fun to watch opposing defenses deal with our lineup of weapons.

baja
04-28-2009, 06:45 AM

You'll feel better when you realize that Jay, although physically talented will be come a hinderance to team unity much like Ocho Cinco is for his team. He doesn't have Shanny to placate him anymore and Chicago will eat him alive.

Dukes
04-28-2009, 06:52 AM
The simple fact is we couldn't rebuild the defense in one offseason anyway. It's going to take 3-4 years of smart FA signings and drafting to get this defense into the top 10.

mellow mood
04-28-2009, 06:55 AM
i think our defense will most certainly be better.

Better D Cord.
Better Safeties
CB's will be better, at least at the slot in my opinion
LB's are better with the addition of Davis in the middle

the only question is the D Line however it is bound to be better than last year as it couldn't get much worse.

we have Powell coming back and have added Ayers. That alone is improvement over last year.

could we possibly be only a NT away from a great defense?

Broncomutt
04-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Actually I have been wondering the same thing. Not that I think Nolan is a bad DC. It's just that I remember getting all amped up when I heard Ray Rhodes was going to be our DC. A former HC who had put together some impressive defenses. That didn't go so well.

I am optimistic about Nolan, just a cautious optimism.

colonelbeef
04-28-2009, 07:10 AM
You'll feel better when you realize that Jay, although physically talented will be come a hinderance to team unity much like Ocho Cinco is for his team. He doesn't have Shanny to placate him anymore and Chicago will eat him alive.

homers like you are going to be in for quite the shock when Jay Cutler fully develops into the best QB in the league by age 28.

baja
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
The simple fact is we couldn't rebuild the defense in one offseason anyway. It's going to take 3-4 years of smart FA signings and drafting to get this defense into the top 10.

We will have an adequate defense this year and a good D in 2010.

baja
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
homers like you are going to be in for quite the shock when Jay Cutler fully develops into the best QB in the league by age 28.

Frankly I don't care if he does, I follow the Denver Broncos. I will say one thing though, the Broncos will be a better team than the Bears over the next decade.

Rohirrim
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Some on this board are too young to remember but there was once a team in Sandy Eggo known as Air Coryell. Dan Fouts was the QB. Dan Coryell was the coach. Every week they put up 40 points. They were awesome. Every week their opponents put up 42 points. Their defense sucked. I don't want the Broncos to be the 21st century version of Air Coryell. When I first fell in love with this team, their personality was based on their D. I played D. I love D. I can't stand watching a team week after week get its ass kicked on the ground. I really don't care how good the offense is. Hopefully, Knowshon puts this team in a position to do a little clock controlling, but if the D can't hold up its own underwear, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Mediator12
04-28-2009, 07:22 AM
What was the difference from 1 to 32 in average field position when starting a drive last season in the NFL?

Here are the average drive start stats:

DEN's Offense started (32) @ the 25.85 yard line.

The Top Offense Started (1) @ the 33.48 yard line.

DEN's defense started (16) @ the 30.2 Yardline.

Top average start Defense was ATL (1) @ 27.17

The worst average start defense was SF (32) @ 33.78.

DEN's Defense was only given pure average starting position, not as poor as some think. Their Major Downfall was third down % and First downs Allowed, not field position. Also, they allowed the second Most Yards per drive of any team in the NFL.

So, for people to think they have improved on Paper, hurrah! Unfortunately, the game of football is still won in the trenches. They need to Prove they can stop the run consistently and Rush the passer to improve all the above deficiencies. Once we see what they do, then you can make that assessment.

This makes me want to pull up all the defense will improve to average threads from last year and just compare the posts. The last 2 offseasons had all kinds of blind optimism about the defense improving to the point of being average. One thing is for sure, the team has continued to address the defensive issues each year, albeit with no success. This year is no different. Until we see the product on the field and how they actually play and execute this is all moot.

The defense fluctuates more per year than the offense though. So, there is reason to have hope again with an all new Scheme. I believe the coaching issues COULD be resolved if the personnel will take the coaching and develop the necessary skills to do it. This is a good defensive coaching staff. In fact, it might be the best DEN has had in as long as I remember. However, the staff is only as good as the personnel that executes their responsibilities. That is something this defense absolutely sucked at doing the last 2 years and the personnel in the front 7 is not that different. I love the Back 4 Moves, but I am utterly disgusted the front 7 is filled with Backups.

Can they win with this defense? Absolutely, if the defense plays better than the sum of its parts like it did often under Coyer. However, they have to go out and prove it and buy into that. Its certainly possible, but it will take a masterful coaching job and committed players. Something we have not yet seen from this personnel group.

baja
04-28-2009, 07:23 AM

Of all the nay saying going on around here I think this is the most legit question being raised.

My take is I am really buying into Bowlen's choice for HC so I buy into Mcd's choices in coaching staff and i love the FA's and his draft so I am comfortable with Nolan for now.

no-pseudo-fan
04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
You would be surprised how much passion and turnovers can help a defense. Our Defense was beaten last year, they kind of threw their hands in the air after a while. DJ was playing hurt, Champ was playing hurt, watching Webster play, hurt. Who knows what we look like in different sets with a few veteran Defensive players, and a scheme that doesn't call for CB's to play 10 yards off on 3rd and 3.

The Ravens and the Dolphins defense looked pretty bad 2 years ago. They didn't add anyone great, but the next year they played much better ball. If we turn the ball over less, and create more turnovers, we will will a couple more games this year.

broncsyanks
04-28-2009, 07:30 AM
well our defense got better with dawkins and the other safety. other then that its the same crap. rookies have not proven a thing. remember just cause there good in college doesnt mean they will be anything in the NFL. i see a lot of teams picking on the rookies. ayers- see jarvis moss. so as far as our offense. we have a adequate line with a good QB that can be mobile. is orton a qb like cutler as far as mobility? not to sure. he can be a good qb. he has a arm and is tall. when i watched the draft i wondered if they were going to get the freeman kid. 6'7" wow thats tall. he could have been a answer. running back. ??? who names there kid knowshon? i dont trust that in principle. lol. who knows how that will turn out.

Rohirrim
04-28-2009, 07:40 AM
This portrait of the Broncos' 2008 defense is etched on my mind: The Chiefs get the ball on the four yard line and march 14 ****ing plays down the field into the EZ. I never want to see an exhibition so pathetic again. Not to even mention the ass-kicking we received from the Raiders in our own house, and the three game collapse that made NFL history. Frankly, if I see that same **** this year, I'll want Mac out of here. Shanahan got fired because the Broncos got humiliated. Mac got hired to make sure that doesn't happen again.

summerdenver
04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
This makes me want to pull up all the defense will improve to average threads from last year and just compare the posts.

You mean like this one.

You would be surprised how much passion and turnovers can help a defense. Our Defense was beaten last year, they kind of threw their hands in the air after a while. DJ was playing hurt, Champ was playing hurt, watching Webster play, hurt. Who knows what we look like in different sets with a few veteran Defensive players, and a scheme that doesn't call for CB's to play 10 yards off on 3rd and 3.

empulse
04-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I certainly appreciate your optimism, as this board can be SO negative. So thank you for that =)

I think the "hate" stems from fans knowing that our defense had such glaring holes last year. We had a great offense last year, and regardless of how big of an upgrade Moreno is, he is no substitute for Cutler. We all feel like McD ignored the problems from last year, and "fixed" something that certainly wasn't broken.

The hate comes from knowing we needed to do so much on Defense, and yet seeing so little done.

I am disappointed that the front 7 weren't addressed with more fervor. We *certainly* dont have the personnel to play much 3-4.... It sort of makes me wonder just how much 3-4 they will attempt. I'm figuring we will be in 4-3 for a good majority of the year, which is fine with me.

Why play a scheme you don't have the people (read: Size) to play?

TheReverend
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
"(except qb)"

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Ambiguous
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
DEN 2000 11 5 0 .688
DEN 2001 8 8 0 .500
DEN 2002 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2003 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2004 10 6 0 .625
DEN 2005 13 3 0 .813
DEN 2006 9 7 0 .563
DEN 2007 7 9 0 .438
DEN 2008 8 8 0 .500

Read my ****ing post. I wasn't being optimistic or pessimistic, just noting that we are not going to see the consistent .500 that we are used to.

The only optimistic thing I can pull from that is, while we don't know that we'll have a .500 season, we also don't know that we will either miss or lose in the first round of the playoffs.