PDA

View Full Version : Spagnuolo and Bates vs. McDaniels and Nolan

p7superfly
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
In hindsight, which pair would you rather have?

Interesting question ... It would be a completely different team ... who knows in what way - but it would have been different.

ludo21
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Too early to tell. Right now I like the direction we are headed. But I would have loved to keep Bates, thus keeping our franchise QB Cutler.

p7superfly
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I agree 100%.

I think we have a good staff - but both would have been good...

And with one, we'd have a Super Bowl winning DC, and Jay Cutler.

Kaylore
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Spags blew up the Rams too. I assume people were thinking he would come in and "just fix the defense because the offense was perfect" but Spags would have ruffled feathers too. Holt was cut for cying out loud. He was a huge team guy and fan favorite. Spags was just as aggressive as McDaniels.

I will stay with McDaniels.

barryr
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I just don't understand what stuff like this settles anything. We have what we have. Too many threads like this and it's getting old.

lex
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Spags blew up the Rams too. I assume people were thinking he would come in and "just fix the defense because the offense was perfect" but Spags would have ruffled feathers too. Holt was cut for cying out loud. He was a huge team guy and fan favorite. Spags was just as aggressive as McDaniels.

I will stay with McDaniels.

Is Spags the GM? Whether or not St Louis has a legitimate GM kind of stands in the way of you having a point. If St. Louis has a legitimate GM, then this falls on its face because its not some self-interested head coach making the decisions and trading future draft picks.

BroncoInSkinland
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Shouldn't it be Goodman, Spagnuolo and Bates vs. Xanders, McDaniels and Nolan ?

montrose
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Here's what I would want:

1st choice:
* Mike Shanahan removed as VP of Football Operations but remains Head Football Coach.
* Scott Pioli hired as VP of Football Operations and General Manager.
* If approved by Pioli, the removal of Jeff Goodman from the organization while Jim Goodman would serve as Pioli's #2 with Brian Xanders as the #3 in the front office.
* The removal of the previous defensive coaching staff and hiring of Mike Nolan as DC with his assistants. Retain Scott O'Brian as ST Coach.

If Shanahan would've agreed to this, I would've been so pumped. Pioli and Shanahan have a good relationship per my knowledge, and relieving Shanahan of some his power would be in the best interest of the team. The offensive staff and players would've remained in place, while Pioli and Nolan could've gotten to work on rebuilding the defense, while adding some guys to the offense as well. This would be highly unlikely of course, as I can't imagine Shanahan being eager to relinquish power after 14 years. However, and I don't know the contract situation, I believe it would be well within Pat Bowlen's rights to demote him and if Shanahan didn't like it - he could quit and Bowlen would be off the hook for his contract. Also, it'd be unlikely we could fire Jeff without losing Jim Goodman, but it became apparent that Jeff was the guy with the issue. Assuming this wasn't likely, here's my next choice:

2nd choice
* Mike Shanahan removed as VP of Football Operations and Head Football Coach.
* Scott Pioli hired as VP of Football Operations and General Manager.
* If approved by Pioli, the removal of Jeff Goodman from the organization while Jim Goodman would serve as Pioli's #2 with Brian Xanders as the #3 in the front office.
* Raheem Morris hired as Head Coach
* Jeremy Bates named OC, previous offensive staff remains. The removal of the previous defensive coaching staff and hiring of Larry Coyer as DC, with his assistants. Retain Scott O'Brian as ST Coach.

I loved Morris from day one, he has the look of energetic motivator which is what I believed this team needed. He also had experience working with Bates would would've kept the offense going. The key, of course, is Pioli being in charge of the entire operation. I'd also like to right the wrong of firing Coyer.

3rd Choice
* Pretty much what we did, although I would've liked to have kept Jim Goodman in the organization if at all possible and would certainly want Josh McDaniels to be subordinate to either Goodman or Xanders. I like the Head Coach having to answer to a GM.

worm
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I just don't understand what stuff like this settles anything. We have what we have. Too many threads like this and it's getting old.

Maybe people should just run ideas of what they find interesting past you to see if you approve?

p7superfly
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Good call Skinland.

I think many of the decisions would have been the same. Spag wanted a power running game, too.

But I doubt he would have traded a 25 year old, franchise QB being paid $1 MM dollars this year. We're paying Simms 3x that.

p7superfly
04-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Montrose - You should be in football manaagement.

Worm - I was thinking the same thing. Classic. Hahaha...

Drek
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Is Spags the GM? Whether or not St Louis has a legitimate GM kind of stands in the way of you having a point. If St. Louis has a legitimate GM, then this falls on its face because its not some self-interested head coach making the decisions and trading future draft picks.

Their GM is Billy Devaney, but Spags has pretty near total say on the roster at this point, hence him ousting Pace and Holt.

He wouldn't have retained Bates. He probably wouldn't have retained Dennison or Turner either. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen makes the exact same choice with the FO, vis a vie Xanders becoming the GM and that necessitating the loss of Jeff Goodmand, which necessitated the loss of Jim Goodman.

If you give me the choice between Spags and whomever he brings in for OC or McDaniels and Nolan, I'll take McDaniels and Nolan every time.

400HZ
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Their GM is Billy Devaney, but Spags has pretty near total say on the roster at this point, hence him ousting Pace and Holt.

He wouldn't have retained Bates. He probably wouldn't have retained Dennison or Turner either. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen makes the exact same choice with the FO, vis a vie Xanders becoming the GM and that necessitating the loss of Jeff Goodmand, which necessitated the loss of Jim Goodman.

If you give me the choice between Spags and whomever he brings in for OC or McDaniels and Nolan, I'll take McDaniels and Nolan every time.

Devaney is going to screw Spagnuolo. The guy is a frickin idiot.

outdoor_miner
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
In hindsight, which pair would you rather have?

Interesting question ... It would be a completely different team ... who knows in what way - but it would have been different.

I read somewhere that Spags wasn't interested in the high-octane type offense Bates employed. So, in all likelihood, he would have installed his own offensive system based upon the "run first" approach of the Giants. Bates probably would have been gone no matter what.

Chris
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Even if the drafts balance out I still think Mcdaniels will be a much shrewder playcaller.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I would vote Josh and Nolan ... IF ... we had kept Jim Goodman in charge of the front office.

I really think Josh has too much power and has made too many rookie mistakes. We lost Cutler, Goodman, he traded up like mad over and over, skipped D-line. There's a lotta indicators he's learning on the job, the front office stuff anyway, and I don't like that one bit. Being head coach is enough on this kid's plate.