PDA

View Full Version : What are we going to do about the front 7 D?

Bronco Yoda
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Obviously we didn't like much in this draft. Can we still trade for someone out there? Does McD have a hidden NT locked away in Dove Valley we don't know about? Are we going to scrap the 3-4 idea this year?

Blueflame
04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Seems to me that the front 7 is a very, very low priority with this rookie HC.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Chris Baker is an enormous signing ... a true NT with 330 size ... high talent guy, but with big character issues. This year's Marcus Thomas.

And Rulon Davis is exciting ... injury plagued in college (his legs were actually run over by a semi truck), but all the skills to play 5-technique DE. And a former Marine.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but these two CFAs might've save the draft.

They are both true 3-4 D-lineman ...

Baker is a lock to make the team imo (if he avoids bar fights) ...

And I'll say the Marine is 50-50 or better to at least make the Practice Squad :thumbs:

Bronco Yoda
04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Chris Baker is intriguing... I'll give you that. I like his disposition. But can he start this year? Will any of our DE's really be able to transition into the LB position?

My confidence in this D has not improved yet. Someone throw me a bone here.

OBF1
04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Damn us for signing these players.... I am telling you all the sky has fallen and it will be 2 more years until Denver moves the franchise to Los Angeles.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 01:32 AM
I'll give it a shot:

DE - Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean
NT - Ron Fields, Carlton Powell, J'Vonne Parker, Chris Baker
DE - Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Nic Clemons, Rulon Davis

That's not counting Elvis, Crowder or Moss, all OLBs or waiver-wire bait.

Josh says Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272, so I'm thinking he goes DE at 280 pounds.

Slim pickings there ... especially when you consider Reid was working at SOLB in the minicamp. I'm not buying it though ... he's 288 pounds, and we already have OLBs. We need DEs.

eddie mac
04-27-2009, 02:23 AM
I think Reid is playing OLB Buff and I'd bet Ayers starts this year either at SOLB or SDE.

cutthemdown
04-27-2009, 03:13 AM
IMO Broncos will be playing a ton of 4-3 looks this yr.

Ayers is 274 so he can play end in a 4-3, SOLB in a 3-4. I think Broncos go 3-4 on passing downs, give a lot of 4-3 looks on first and 2nd. I think you will see Marcus Thomas at end on some 3-4 looks and at DT in the 4-3 looks. Doom IMO will be moved around and always be rushing the passer either from OLB in a 3-4, or from end in a 4-3.

We may be 3-4 more in 2 yrs, but I think this yr you will still see a lot of 4-3 looks.

rastaman
04-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Obviously we didn't like much in this draft. Can we still trade for someone out there? Does McD have a hidden NT locked away in Dove Valley we don't know about? Are we going to scrap the 3-4 idea this year?

McDaniels has said.....wait until next year!;)

Bronco Yoda
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Damn us for signing these players.... I am telling you all the sky has fallen and it will be 2 more years until Denver moves the franchise to Los Angeles.

Ha! I should have better clarified.... we didn't seem to like many front 7 Defensive players available to us.

I can't argue with most of the players we did draft. Just wish we had more front 7 D players. As long as we can move things around and come up with some sort of cohesive scheme on D then I'm fine with whatever our plan ends of being.

Kaylore
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Philosophically we're not tied into running any one scheme so if playing some 4-3 is the best for us, then we will.

oubronco
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I'll give it a shot:

Josh says Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272, so I'm thinking he goes DE at 280 pounds.

Slim pickings there ... especially when you consider Reid was working at SOLB in the minicamp. I'm not buying it though ... he's 288 pounds, and we already have OLBs. We need DEs.

If a backup who couldn't start for Nolan in san fran is who we are banking on we could very well be in trouble!!

oubronco
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Philosophically we're not tied into running any one scheme so if player some 4-3 is the best for us, then we will.

Then they should've took Orakpo if they are going to play more 4-3

Hotrod
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
**** it lets play a 0-6-5 :)

This place is depressing

barryr
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
It's not so much depressing as people's idiocy is shining through. The idiots want the Broncos to pull a Shanahan and just take needs instead of best talent. That ultimately helped lead to Shanahan;s firing and what do people want? Do that kind of thing again. That's called insanity when you repeat what others have done which failed. So there's quite a few around here that need a shrink and ASAP.

Rohirrim
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Honestly, with the signing of Ayers, I am no longer sure this team is going over to a 3-4.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll give it a shot:

Very pedestrian looking. It's gonna come down to coaching and knowing your assigment in order for the defense to work. I'm still hoping Powell has a break out year, but he's not a true NT.

p7superfly
04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I have no idea.

We have about .75 legit 3-4 D-Linemen.

Should have pretty good LB's and secondary.

Bronco Yoda
04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
It's only depressing if you get locked up on these types of quandaries without the ability to recognize and discuss them. I don't think anyone here is advocating reaching for players that fit a position over top talent. But, we do have a serious problem at our front 7. And sticking ones fingers in your ears and screaming.... 'nah,nah...it'll all go away if I close my eyes tight enough and block out all discussion' isn't going to transform our defense into being competitive.

I just hope we have a plan at D that will end up giving us a chance to be competitive THIS year.

snowspot66
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Very pedestrian looking. It's gonna come down to coaching and knowing your assigment in order for the defense to work. I'm still hoping Powell has a break out year, but he's not a true NT.

Coaching and knowing your assignment will get you an average defense. I'll take it.

Finger Roll
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Honestly, with the signing of Ayers, I am no longer sure this team is going over to a 3-4.

all he has to do is gain about 10 pounds and he'll be a fine 3-4 DE

Archer81
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Well me and every other member of this board will do nothing. Nolan must like the pieces he has here, or the Broncos felt they could get players later or in UDFA they could teach the defense to. We'll see what happens.

:Broncos:

Finger Roll
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
It's only depressing if you get locked up on these types of quandaries without the ability to recognize and discuss them. I don't think anyone here is advocating reaching for players that fit a position over top talent. But, we do have a serious problem at our front 7. And sticking ones fingers in your ears and screaming.... 'nah,nah...it'll all go away if I close my eyes tight enough and block out all discussion' isn't going to transform our defense into being competitive.

I just hope we have a plan at D that will end up giving us a chance to be competitive THIS year.

you also have to remember the broncos running game will be much better giving the DL a much needed breather between series. The problem with pass happy teams is that they aren't on the field very long.

BroncoMan4ever
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Chris Baker is intriguing... I'll give you that. I like his disposition. But can he start this year? Will any of our DE's really be able to transition into the LB position?

My confidence in this D has not improved yet. Someone throw me a bone here.

have faith in DOOM. all he does is prove sceptics wrong. he was still the best DE on the roster last season with a jacked up hand. Moving him to OLB will be great for him and us. I tell you, i think he will be a very solid OLB for us, and very well may become a James Harrison.

bronco militia
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.ilm.com/

brncobrett
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe they'll still try to go after Peppers?

Mediator12
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Freaking Pray. Then, pray some more that Nolan and the New assistant coaches can get these underachievers to actually develop and execute for the first time in their lives. Then, just sit back and hope ;D

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Seems to me that the front 7 is a very, very low priority with this rookie HC.

We've got the guys for now.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Freaking Pray. Then, pray some more that Nolan and the New assistant coaches can get these underachievers to actually develop and execute for the first time in their lives. Then, just sit back and hope ;D

I don't think they are underachievers, they've just been used improperly.

bronco militia
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think they are underachievers, they've just been used improperly.

yeah, they were never allowed to make plays and stuff

:giggle:

socalorado
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Hey did you make a thread on your take on DEN draft?
i seriously wanna get your take.
And!! i would like as an added bonus what you think the defense is going to look like position by position.
AND! as a special one time offer in next 20 minutes you will give out your opinion of if DEN is going to make a trade before the season starts, and if so who?

Mediator12
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey did you make a thread on your take on DEN draft?
i seriously wanna get your take.
And!! i would like as an added bonus what you think the defense is going to look like position by position.
AND! as a special one time offer in next 20 minutes you will give out your opinion of if DEN is going to make a trade before the season starts, and if so who?

I'll get back to this when I stop Praying :welcome: That MAY be awhile ;D

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
yeah, they were never allowed to make plays and stuff

:giggle:

I mean they drafted Moss for example and they've tried him everywhere on Defense but Corner and Saftey. As far as I can tell they rarely used stunts with any of our dlinemen.

Gcver2ver3
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I'll give it a shot:

replace Reid with Vonnie Holliday (my prediction)...