PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Sign Rulon!

DeusExManning
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Per NFLDRAFTBIBLE

Rulon Davis
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 281 | Position:DE | College: California

Overview

A former Marine who served time in Iraq, Davis' rare blend of size and athleticism has NFL scouts imagining him as a part of their own front line of defense. After his military service, Davis played with Mt. San Antonio College, emerging as one of the top junior college prospects in the nation despite switching to the defensive side of the ball. Davis had played along the offensive line throughout his entire high school career. In three seasons at California, Davis consistently flashed first-day talent -- and posted four sacks and two forced fumbles in only seven starts as senior. Davis, 25, has yet to finish a season healthy, playing in only 21 of 38 games.
2008 Season

Started six of the eight games he has played, but had his season interrupted by an injury for the second year in a row, missing five games in the middle of the year with a foot injury still ranked third on the team with nine TFL earned starts in Cal's first four contests and again at USC and Washington given the Bob Tessier Award as Cal's most improved defensive lineman registered a season-best six stops at Maryland, including a sack and a forced fumble had 1.5 tackles for loss against both Oregon State and Stanford blocked a field goal attempt at Washington State that Zack Follett returned 68 yards for a TD own the top recorded vertical jump of all-time for a Cal defensive lineman at 33.5 inches.
2007 Season

Slated as a starter at defensive end, but missed seven games due to injuries still tallied 16 tackles with three for loss, including 1.5 sacks came off the bench for four solo takedowns in the bowl victory over Air Force injured his foot in the Louisiana Tech game and missed the next four games returned against Arizona State and recorded three tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble (which was recovered for a touchdown), before leaving the game with a knee injury and missing the next three outings returned against Stanford and tallied three more tackles, one for loss registered two tackles and a pass breakup against Tennessee.
2006 Season

Competed in six games before missing the last half of the season due to illness and injury (bone bruise in leg) recorded five tackles, including three against Arizona State when he also had a half tackle for loss.
Junior College

Played for Mt. San Antonio College as a freshman in 2004 when Mt. SAC's defense ranked No. 11 in California, giving up just 251.9 yards per game Rated as the 21st best junior-college prospect in the country by Rivals.com at the conclusion of the 2005
High School

Graduated from Charter Oak High School in Covina, Calif., in 2001, where his football experience came on the offensive line.
Personal

Parents are Sylvia and Lorenzo Davis Served in the Marines for more than three years after high school Was an avionics technician in the military Majoring in sociology.

Pseudofool
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
how old is he exactly?

BroncoBuff
why did this guy fall outta the draft?

Vegas_Bronco
Give him #50....for our anniversary...that'll motivate his azz.

PRBronco
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Alright!

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Jeepers, he missed one season because ...

wait for it ....

his legs were run over by a semi truck!

DBroncos4life
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Jeepers, he missed one season because ...

wait for it ....

his legs were run over by a semi truck!

Stocking up on RBs and CBs, then finding DLine players that have been hurt at some point in there past. Hmmm has anyone seen Shanny?

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
how old is he exactly?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2606/333hhv.jpg

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Sounds like his injuries were legit ... no BS there ... broken foot, run over by a semi, and an "illness."

That doesn't sound like a fragile player ...

Plus, he was a U.S. MARINE! :USA:

Crushaholic
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Marines are known for their strong work ethic. I like that. If he has NFL-caliber talent, that's even better...

Popps
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Stocking up on RBs and CBs, then finding DLine players that have been hurt at some point in there past. Hmmm has anyone seen Shanny?

http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

DBroncos4life
04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

Sorry if Im not going to jump up and down at every UDFA we pick up. Very few make it in the NFL, but Im sure someone is going to remind me about Rod Smith. Lets all pretend that happens every year and take more away from the greatness that is Rod Smith. Regardless there really isn't many posters that would believe if Shanny was still running the show that you wouldn't be pissed off at this offseason.

Vegas_Bronco
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Rulon Davis Draft Interview
<SMALL>by Gregory Cox (%20greg@thefootballexpert.com)
<SMALL>NFL Draft Director</SMALL>
1/7/09</SMALL> <SMALL></SMALL>
http://www.thefootballexpert.com/rulondavis2009nfldraftinterview090001.html

Even through a telephone Cal defensive end Rulon Davis can be a little bit intimidating. What would you expect from a player who describes his game in three words as: aggressive, tenacious and smart? There is no doubt he is smart having already graduated with a double major (Sociology, African-American studies) this past spring. Intelligence is one of Davis’ many strengths on and off the football field.
Here is the transcript from our conversation.
TFE: I have read you are a Chargers fan although that might not have made you very popular in the East Bay at Berkeley with the Raider Nation so close. When looking at the NFL who do you compare yourself to?
RD: Luis Castillo. Same build.
TFE: Positions change from college to the NFL. Some guys at defensive end move inside to tackle and others slide back to outside linebacker. You have played in the 4-3 and this past season in the 3-4. You have the frame at 6-5 to play tackle. Which scheme fits you the best and which position?
RD: I can fit both the 3-4 and the 4-3. This past year I felt really comfortable in the 3-4 because in a 3-4 the defensive end has to play the tackle position as well as the rushing end position. I like being able to play more than one position - inside in the three and then going out there and playing the “five” technique. I like the versatility. I love that.
TFE: Your vertical leap was 34.5. At the 2008 NFL combine eventual #6 overall pick Vernon Gholston was the only defensive lineman to top that (by one inch) and only two linebackers were over that mark. Can you beat that number?
RD: Yeah, I definitely can beat that.
TFE: I realize benching 225 pounds as many times as possible is not in your regular routine, but can you project a range for yourself?
RD: I think I can do in the high 20’s.
TFE: Have you been working on your speed, and what is your 40 time now?
RD: Around 4.8-4.9. I plan on shedding some pounds so I can get a bit faster.
TFE: Aside from center Alex Mack, who was the toughest offensive lineman at Cal you went against in practice?

RD: (senior offensive tackle) Noris Malele. Solid guy.
TFE: This process can be hectic and nerve wracking leading up to April. What are you looking forward to the most?
RD: What teams are interested and seeing what is the best fit for me. Everything is so unknown. I’m excited to see what the future has for Rulon Davis.
TFE: You are close friends with current Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane who once roamed the line with you at Cal. Has he given you advice about what to expect?
RD: He got me a little bit nervous because he told me the other day that this time in my life is going to be the biggest change. He says my life will never be the same after this. I get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it. I’m looking forward to the challenge. He said that the combine was probably one of the most difficult deals because it was an ongoing process, but I can take it.
TFE: Right now you have been a little overlooked playing in front of three linebackers expected to be drafted (Zack Follett, Worrell Williams and Anthony Felder), but someone had to be disrupting things to free those guys up. What do you most want scouts to know about your game and what makes you a future NFL player?
RD: Just sit down and really watch the film. See me disrupting the line, executing my assignment, being a playmaker - having a nose for the ball, high motor, intensity and overall abilities. I try to bring leadership to the field. I just want an opportunity.
TFE: Finally, what are your plans when your NFL career is over?
RD: I definitely want to go back to school. I’m really interested in commercial real estate, especially the financial side. I want to be in all phases – land development, buying and selling, finance.
In just a few minutes speaking to Davis, who I have seen play live several times at Cal, it puzzles me to not see him higher on positional draft charts at this still somewhat early stage of the process. There are questions about his durability due to various injuries taking away games these past two seasons. He is also 25 years old having devoted three years of his life to the Marines including a six month tour of duty in Iraq.
However, the positive side is immeasurable character built from his life experiences and the toughness to have persevered through those nagging injuries. Clearly his football playing potential has not been met giving him the “upside” many scouts look for. Any NFL team taking their shot at drafting Rulon Davis will be getting a determined force ready to make an impact wherever his talents are needed. Considering plenty of NFL defensive linemen play well into their 30’s effectively (Michael Strahan was 36 when he hung up the cleats, Jason Taylor had 11 sacks at 33 in 2007) his age is certainly not much of an issue.

For more information on Rulon Davis - RulontheBeast.com (http://www.rulonthebeast.com/)

Vegas_Bronco
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM
http://www.rulonthebeast.com/

Watch his highlight film. Dude rarely drives through a tackle....he's always falling to the ground while tackling the opponent - another Jarvis Moss. Cool website though.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Luis Castillo is a good comparison ... I'm giving this Marine 50-50 odds to make at least the PS.....

And Chris Baker is a lock.

I can't believe two CFAs are gonna save this draft, but both these guys are true 3-4 D-linemen, and both have all the tools to play in the leaugue.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Watch his highlight film. Dude rarely drives through a tackle....he's always falling to the ground while tackling the opponent - another Jarvis Moss. Cool website though.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2759727&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2759727&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/2759727">Rulon Davis Highlights</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user657965">bob gregory</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

Popps
04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Regardless there really isn't many posters that would believe if Shanny was still running the show that you wouldn't be pissed off at this offseason.

Is the off-season over? Did I miss something?

As for Shanahan and what he would have done, the problem would have been... he's been horrid at drafting defensive talent. So, yea... I probably would have been skeptical.

However, for the first time since Shanahan took over the team, we've selected the top DE prospect in the draft... something I bitched about Shanahan NOT doing for the past decade. So, at very minimum, I would have been happy about that.

I also would have probably had to concede that a home-run hitter like Portis returning to Denver (Moreno) probably isn't a bad thing.

Popps
04-27-2009, 12:29 AM
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2759727&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2759727&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/2759727">Rulon Davis Highlights</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user657965">bob gregory</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

Interesting vid. Tall guy, and his arms look long. He seems to have a knack for getting those long arms on the football. Looks pretty damned fast for his size, too.

Just from this vid, he seems to play pretty upright, and doesn't show anything but a straight-forward rush move. Who knows, could be a good project. He looks like a pro out there, physically. Seems pretty raw, though.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Knowshon would AWESOME if we had addressed the front 7 more. But now we're second-thinking because of that.

Actually Knowshon will be awesome either way, front 7 or no front 7.

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Interesting vid. Tall guy, and his arms look long. He seems to have a knack for getting those long arms on the football. Looks pretty damned fast for his size, too.

Just from this vid, he seems to play pretty upright, and doesn't show anything but a straight-forward rush move. Who knows, could be a good project. He looks like a pro out there, physically. Seems pretty raw, though.

Raw, but his body type and burst actuially look like - LOOK like - Peppers.

Laugh if you must, but that body looks just like him.

OBF1
04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
The last marine we had in Denver did pretty well for himself.

footstepsfrom#27
04-27-2009, 12:40 AM

That's not what I saw at all. I saw a guy with power to push the pocket and some quickness of the edge who stays with plays and made plays. Highlight films mean nothing...the best one I've seen was Cooked Crack's...

In any case the last marine we had turned out pretty well...not saying he's MA but these guys are tough physically and mentally which is what you have to be to make it as a UDFA in this league.

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/01/12/1137108865_9687-1.jpg

Popps
04-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Raw, but his body type and burst actuially look like - LOOK like - Peppers.

Laugh if you must, but that body looks just like him.

No, I see what you mean. Sort of lanky, but strong looking. That's why I said, he physically looks like a pro.

Not to sound scout-geeky, but it sure looks like if he were taught to get his pad-level down a bit with his initial burst, it would do him a world of good. He's clearly got strength. He's a pocket collapser, for such a tall guy.

Pretty intriguing pick-up.

I love street FA's. Cost you nothing, and we've had some fairly good luck with the over the years.

OBF1
04-27-2009, 12:51 AM
All I thought about seeing the thread title was RULON JONES !!!!!

dsmoot
04-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Sounds like his injuries were legit ... no BS there ... broken foot, run over by a semi, and an "illness."

That doesn't sound like a fragile player ...

Plus, he was a U.S. MARINE! :USA:

Can he add another 40 pounds or so???

BroncoBuff
04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Can he add another 40 pounds or so???

Funny you say that .... this from the interview above:

TFE: Have you been working on your speed, and what is your 40 time now?
RD: Around 4.8-4.9. I plan on shedding some pounds so I can get a bit faster.

???

What I don't understand is how his legs were run over by .... a semi truck?!

How tf does that even happen?!

SPIDER!!!

Drek
04-27-2009, 03:58 AM
From NFL.com and NFLDraftScout.com

Analysis Positives: Rare combination of size and athleticism. ... Prototype size and build for the position. ... Good initial quickness off the snap and can put the offensive tackle on his heels. ... Good lateral quickness and balance to spin back to the inside and can close when the ballcarrier is near. ... Good size and strength at the point of attack and flashes the ability to split the double-team. ... Reliable wrap-up tackler who can break down in space and make the open-field tackle against smaller, quicker athletes. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Gives good effort in pursuit. ... Willing to play through pain, though durability is a concern. ... High character grade. ... Former Marine who goes all out.

Negatives: Durability concern. ... Missed time each of the past three seasons with repeated leg injuries and had his legs run over in a traffic accident in July 2005. ... Requires extensive medical checkup at the Combine. ... Older than most rookies due to his military service.

Rulon Davis is a guy I've been banging the drum for around here as a good late round/UDFA 5-tech for a while. I can see why he went undrafted since he didn't participate in drills at the combine, is a little older than the norm, and has a medical history.

But the guy's a gamer. Tough as nails and a good motor. He needs some quality development because missing time with the marines and starting out as a juco have taken away from his progress, but he's smart and disciplined, so he's got all the tools to be a quick learner. If he can stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a home in our DL rotation by 2010.

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Someone call me?

Mogulseeker
04-27-2009, 05:32 AM
The last marine we had in Denver did pretty well for himself.

Beat me to it.

cal junkie
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Hey Broncos,

Diehard Cal fan here, lived in Colorado from 1994-2004, was a sports stringer with the Denver Post (1999-2002 Carl Rose)...the Denver Broncos are one of my favorite teams. You may have hit the lottery with Rulon Davis if he can stay healthy. I've always been enamored of his potential and frustrated he was unable to gain full traction in college. He has all of the physical gifts, emotional maturity and mental toughness needed to excel ... reminds me of Andre Tippett of the Patriots many years ago.

He was lighting up Tennessee when he was healthy, they were cringing after the first quarter. If, IF Rulon Davis stays healthy, gains a little more mass, and learns some technical refinement (needs to lower pads = good observation) he will be a very solid add for the Broncos. Rulon Davis is a humble, intelligent, good citizen off the field, and a complete animal on the field.

Word of advice to his opponents: Don't ever piss that guy off. If he can stay healthy for a full season you'll soon have an all-Pro on your hands.

BroncoInSkinland
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I hope this guy makes it, I like what I see so far.

BroncoInSkinland
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
What I don't understand is how his legs were run over by .... a semi truck?!

How tf does that even happen?!

SPIDER!!!

A car hit Davis' motorcycle from behind on a July day in Los Angeles. He was knocked onto the cement of Interstate 10, and he landed underneath a truck.

"As soon as I hit the ground, my instincts said, 'Start moving, or you're going to die,' " he said. "I wasn't quite fast enough."

As Davis scurried from beneath the truck, the rear tires hit his legs. Miraculously, he didn't break any bones or tear ligaments or tendons. The swelling was stopped by surgery, and he was completely healthy in less than three months.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/11/SPGQOKGFJF1.DTL

barryr
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
He has about the size needed to be a 3-4 DE at least. McDaniel bashers would have been happy they drafted him though. Sign him as undrafted free agent and he must not be any good. Of course most of the DL that were drafted will not be NFL players, but hey, who needs sense and facts?

vancejohnson82
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
how did he look up to Louis Castillo??

he's older than him

lostknight
04-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Looks like a great pickup. His primary problems appear to be technique rather then ability related. A good coaching staff might be able to turn this guy into a all star.

Still need a NT tho.

BroncoMan4ever
04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
why did this guy fall outta the draft?

injury concern. he has never finished a full season.

gotta love the toughness and attitude though. so i think it was a great UDFA pickup.

PRBronco
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
His injuries have been ruses, the semi truck incident was a trap set by Boss Bailey to find an unbreakable hero, the polar opposite to his Mr. Glass. Damn you Boss Bailey! How many innocents had to die??

Bronx33
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
If he can harrass the QB and drive him into the turf ( I LOVE HIM!)

Dukes
04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
A former Marine who served time in Iraq

Sorry to get OT, but I just laugh at their choice of words here. Referring to it like a prison sentence. How idiotic.

BroncoBuff
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
As Davis scurried from beneath the truck, the rear tires hit his legs. Miraculously, he didn't break any bones or tear ligaments or tendons. The swelling was stopped by surgery, and he was completely healthy in less than three months.

Stuff of Legend ...

Remember Manute Bol? His coach famously said, "he may be skinny, but how many players in this league have killed a lion with a spear?"

Now we can say about Rulon, "he may be raw, but how many players in this league have been run over by a semi truck?" :~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
There might be a method to McD's madness in drafting no D-Linemen ... the Broncos were a seriously attractive option for these three talented-but-iffy CFA D-linemen.

I'm thinking one will make the 53 (Baker)
One will make the PS
One will wash out

That's not bad for three undrafted guys.

Punisher
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/c/c6/Maurice_podoloff_mvp.jpg

footstepsfrom#27
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Stuff of Legend ...

Remember Manute Bol? His coach famously said, "he may be skinny, but how many players in this league have killed a lion with a spear?"

Now we can say about Rulon, "he may be raw, but how many players in this league have been run over by a semi truck?" :~ohyah!:
You must have missed this part:
"As soon as I hit the ground, my instincts said, 'Start moving, or you're going to die,' " he said. "I wasn't quite fast enough."
Obviously he needs to work on his 18 wheel/cone drill and knock that down a bit more. ;D

Mogulseeker
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry to get OT, but I just laugh at their choice of words here. Referring to it like a prison sentence. How idiotic.

The key word is served... he SERVED in Iraq. It came across to me differently than if it was "he did time in Iraq".

fido
05-07-2009, 11:16 AM

I want to see him excell.....imo, not enough vets in pro sports...but you are correct when sooooooo many people refer to it as a prison sentence.. :thumbsup:

BroncoInSkinland
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12286294

"I wanted to get back as soon as I possibly could to start playing football again," Davis said. "But I had to do my job. I signed the contract, and I like to honor my commitment."

"The way he speaks, he's very correct, proper," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He treats everybody with a great deal of respect. He listens, asks good questions. Sits up in his chair, always attentive, those types of things. You can tell he was brought up the right way."

Turns out, Cal is one of the few major-college programs to play a 3-4. And Davis became the only pure "5-technique" defensive end the Broncos took last week, either in the draft or as a free agent.

Maybe he isn't such an underdog to make the Broncos after all. Not with his experience as a 3-4 end. Not with all he's been through. The challenge of going from undrafted free agent to a 53-man roster? Puh-leze.

"Nothing's came easy in my life as you can see," Davis said. "I've had to work for everything. Hard work is not something that's unfamiliar to me."

I didn't see a link to this article anywhere. I am going with a new adopt-a-bronco. I hope he does better than my last two.