PDA

View Full Version : More upset at FA signings?

jayman_37
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Is anyone else now more upset about a bunch of free agent signings thant hey are at the draft? Why did they pick up 3 running backs when he knew or should have had some idea he would get a good running back in round one?

Also we sign two safeties and draft two more. It just felt like he didn't have a real plan during free agency now. He just wanted to sign a lot of guys and hope for the best.

I think his draft wasn't actually that bad, but his free agency isn't looking as great to me anymore.

TonyR
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
The RB situation is puzzling but the safties make some sense. Dawkins only has 1 or 2 seasons left in him and Hill (is that his name?) is also on the wrong side of 30 if I'm not mistaken. So these guys will be groomed for the future and play special teams.

Kaylore
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Depends on who they keep.

Man-Goblin
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
McDaniels was scarred from his experience with injuries last year at the running back position, and then he found himself coaching a team that was in an even worse situation.

Looking at the running back depth as it stands, it's really not as much overkill as people think:

Knowshon Moreno, Peyton Hillis, Correll Buckhalter, JJ Arrington, LaMont Jordan, Selvin Young, Ryan Torain

Hillis can be used in single back sets, as a fullback in short yardage, h-back, or wherever you want to put him. Arrington can be used on special teams and on 3rd down. And all of them can provide valuable insurance against injury.

Lamont Jordan signed a 2 year deal, but only a $500k signing bonus. He can be cut if need be. If you drop 2 names off that list (probably Young and Torain?) and you can easily find a spot for the rest of them. Carrying 5 backs is certainly not unheard of.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
McDaniels was scarred from his experience with injuries last year at the running back position, and then he found himself coaching a team that was in an even worse situation.

Looking at the running back depth as it stands, it's really not as much overkill as people think:

Knowshon Moreno, Peyton Hillis, Correll Buckhalter, JJ Arrington, LaMont Jordan, Selvin Young, Ryan Torain

Hillis can be used in single back sets, as a fullback in short yardage, h-back, or wherever you want to put him. Arrington can be used on special teams and on 3rd down. And all of them can provide valuable insurance against injury.

Lamont Jordan signed a 2 year deal, but only a $500k signing bonus. He can be cut if need be. If you drop 2 names off that list (probably Young and Torain?) and you can easily find a spot for the rest of them. Carrying 5 backs is certainly not unheard of.

especially when you factor in that Buckhalter will probably be headed for IR in the next few weeks

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
The RBs are strange, yes ... the safeties no.

But when he signed these guys, McD didn't know Knowshon would fall in his lap at #12. And as #12, there was no D-lineman or safety worth the pick (except Malcolm Jenkins I guess).

Knowshon is a powerful great bargain. If only we had followed it up with more front 7 help ....

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
UFA signings are a shot in the dark. Getting worked up over them is an exercise in futility.

cutthemdown
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Neither are strange to me because some of the RBS are obvious role players. Jordan and Hillis more short yrdage guys, Hillis maybe even a FB. Selvin Young on way out. Torrain is injured still and arrington more a 3rd down back. Andre Hall to me isn't starter material (is he still on roster?) Buckhalter has injury concerns and has never carried the load. For those reasons getting a back like Moreno makes sense.

Safety's we have nothing to groom outside of Barrett and IMO he looked stiff last yr. You want to bring in some young guys to learn under dawkins the few yrs we will have them.

Really IMO all the picks made since. Getting DT and DE would have made since to though. Broncos need so much talent pretty much any position outside of OT made since.

eddie mac
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Hall is gone Cutts. He was an ERFA and still hasn't signed or been offered a deal.

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The RBs are strange, yes ... the safeties no.

But when he signed these guys, McD didn't know Knowshon would fall in his lap at #12. And as #12, there was no D-lineman or safety worth the pick (except Malcolm Jenkins I guess).

Knowshon is a powerful great bargain. If only we had followed it up with more front 7 help ....

We'll be alright BB, Rome wasn't (re)built in a single draft.

Denver724
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The RB situation is puzzling but the safties make some sense. Dawkins only has 1 or 2 seasons left in him and Hill (is that his name?) is also on the wrong side of 30 if I'm not mistaken. So these guys will be groomed for the future and play special teams.

It's all about competition. It is going to be a great training camp.

Popps
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
We'll be alright BB, Rome wasn't (re)built in a single draft.

Hey, I just used that lame line. Stop it. :)

Agree with you guys, though. It's going to be one of the most exciting training camps/pre-seasons in quite some time. The energy is back in this organization.

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm thrilled with Chris Baker ... he's a NT or a 3-4 DE, which is what we needed.

This year's Marcus Thomas ... high talent, questionable character.

In a small way, he saves the D-line-barren draft.

He WILL make the team ;D

kappys
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't think its surprising at all. All the signings happened before the trade, and maybe McD wasn't sure Cutler would be traded - meaning he would only have 1 first rounder that likely would have gone to our new DE/OLB.

Losing Cutler meant that McD needed a running game and quick if hoped to do anything with the offense this year.

Selvin hasn't looked good since all his injuries - cut

Torain - injuries, possible cut

Buckhalter - cheap + injured, IR or cut

Jordan - cheap, +/- making the team depending on how Torain shows up IMO.

Arrington - in retrospect we have overpayed for him but he can play ST's and will be a good change of pace back from Hillis/Moreno. 6-10 touches a game.

Hillis - injured but give his talent at running the ball and versatility offers a lot of options to create mismatches or to use as a power back. 6-10 touches a game.

Moreno - Hopefully a 20 carry a game superstar

That leaves us with 4 RB's on the active roster.