PDA

View Full Version : Should they stop selling tickets to the draft?

broncosteven
04-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I watched most of the 1st round a good part of the 2nd and an hour or 2 here and there today.

Should the NFL consider stopping allowing the fans to be in the hall when they announce picks?

Not that the draft was as exciting as a preseason game featuring Mike Bell or HIXON but having "Fans" boo every pick got old and made it hard to hear the comentators shouting over the noise.

Why did Stafford get boos? I cannot remember a pick where the real fans of the team who announced their pick were heard applauding for their pick over the cascades of boos from fans from the other 31 teams.

I realize that some Jets fans didn't like the move up to grab dirty Sanchez, it would have been cool to gauge their true reaction.

I would rather the NFL do the following, either:

1) Host a draft party in the teams host city and have the TV converage cut to that sponsored party when their pick is announced. That way you get the true fan reaction rather than everyone booing everyone elses picks. More people get to go and they make more $ off it that way. More people that want to be there who want to be shown on national TV biting their shirts in disgust get their 15 seconds of fame.

2) walk the bozo's in during their slotted draft pick. Cut to them for their reaction then make them leave the room and bring in the next liquored up group of geeks. This won't work as well because of trades and moving that may people in and out of the hall would be a pain.

3) host the fans locally or at a hotel very close by, in their own confrence room but not in the main draft hall. Bring their drafted players in later and allow signatures or question answer session with fans in attendance. have a couple internet stations available for bloggers on NFL.com

4) Allow attendance but have someone to work the crowd like they do at the TV show tapings - bring in the warm up guy for SNL or Letterman. Get an Applause sign and threaten to pull idiots that are making too much noise.

Maybe I am just getting old but on day 2 listening to the lone shouters trying to be loud enough to be heard on TV made me more likely to turn the channel and watch NASCAR.

Crushaholic
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I didn't watch past the Broncos #18 pick, but I agree with curbing the drunken idiots. While it IS a show, I still want to see some sort of decorum...

Bronx33
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
It was like watching the price is right when the contestants are picking their price.

Killericon
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Hell no. I find the booing hilarious.

Ramathorn
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
unless you were there, dont knock it. I was there. The way they assign seating sucks, but the draft itself is for the fans. Fans have a right to boo the picks. If you were listening during he broncos picks you may have been hearing me boo, although most of the time my head was buried in my hands. There was also an adequate amount of cheers. I had a great time.

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
It was like watching the price is right when the contestants are picking their price.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H246FhwXO6s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H246FhwXO6s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2KBack
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Hell no. I find the booing hilarious.

seconded, the reactions are half the fun.

BroncoDoug
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
unless you were there, dont knock it. I was there. The way they assign seating sucks, but the draft itself is for the fans. Fans have a right to boo the picks. If you were listening during he broncos picks you may have been hearing me boo, although most of the time my head was buried in my hands. There was also an adequate amount of cheers. I had a great time.

Thats cool! How many Broncos fans were there?

broncosteven
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM

You may have heard the 3 people that were there for Detroit cheering but they were drowned out by the other couple hundred non-Detroit fans.

It may have been epic in person but it was lame watching on TV.

I would think at some point someone from the NFL office would catch that it does not look good seeing the NFL Commish getting booed the whole 1st day and find a way to present these picks in a more positive light.

Bronx33
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
You may have heard the 3 people that were there for Detroit cheering but they were drowned out by the other couple hundred non-Detroit fans.

It may have been epic in person but it was lame watching on TV.

I would think at some point someone from the NFL office would catch that it does not look good seeing the NFL Commish getting booed the whole 1st day and find a way to present these picks in a more positive light.

Exactly i hit mute until they announced picks then i hit mute again i sounded like a bunch of hecklers just wanting to get heard on TV.

Chris
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, they don't sell them for starters. They're free on a first come, first serve basis. It might help if seats were given out lottery style. That way you wouldn't get massive hordes of buddies teaming up together.

Ramathorn
04-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Dude, being there is the best thing ever. There were some bronco fans. One fan had a cutler jersey with a piece of tape over the name that said betrayed. There was one bronco fan there wearing a full bronco uniform. Football 24/7 is unbeatable. I brought my bronco foamhead to the draft and on the 2nd day, we were sitting right next to the ESPN b roadcast stage. I saw herm edwards and i asked him to autograph it. He did and I said how bout getting kiper also. He said "you want em all" I said hell yeah. He took my foam head up on stage and told kiper to sign it, then he got mortenson to sign it, trey wingo. Then jaws came down and signed it. Then i caught the professor john clayton walking by and he autographed it. The nfl network guys were dicks and wouldnt autograph anything.

Ramathorn
04-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Thats cool! How many Broncos fans were there?

I counted what I saw as being 10-15. I bleed orange and blue was there also. We had a blast. I will post pics soons.

Swedish Extrovert
04-29-2009, 05:36 AM
I have an idea. Let's call Matt Sanchez either Matt, Matthew, or Sanchez. 'Dirty Sanchez' is a little disrespectful for a guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL yet, and is borderline racist.

That's all.

Swedish Extrovert
04-29-2009, 05:37 AM
BTW I thinks it's great that they allow fans there, but the booing just might make it worth it to kick them out.

Hogan11
04-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I didn't watch past the Broncos #18 pick, but I agree with curbing the drunken idiots. While it IS a show, I still want to see some sort of decorum...

Me too, but some will always favor goonery over decorum, that's just the way of the west.

Although I don't put as much of a focus on the draft as some do, I'd still like to see it return to 10 rounds instead of 7, but that's just me I guess.