PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Picks

SoDak Bronco
04-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Best- Robert Ayers - needed a guy that can be a versatle player along the dline. Has explosive power and a nice burst that should allow us to get more pressure. Mayock thinks he will be the best defensive player in the draft 3 years out, Lets hope so.

Worst- Alphonso Smith- love the guy to death, just can't justify giving up OUR 1st rounder next season. We are probably going to be 5-11, maybe a game or two better, and i just don't think it was a smart move to sign a short DB.

tnedator
04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I hate to say it, but I go with a tie on worse.

Worse: Moreno/Smith. If we didn't need our first next year, we should have tried to trade up and help the front seven, or picked Ayers and Orakpo both. Until I see that the new defensive scheme makes our front seven MUCH better than the last couple years, I can't see going offense in the first, even as good as Moreno might be.

Best: I'll go with Ayers. Moreno might be the best player, but again, goes back to the needs.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Worse: Moreno/Smith. If we didn't need our first next year, we should have tried to trade up and help the front seven, or picked Ayers and Orakpo both. Until I see that the new defensive scheme makes our front seven MUCH better than the last couple years, I can't see going offense in the first, even as good as Moreno might be.

Best: I'll go with Ayers. Moreno might be the best player, but again, goes back to the needs.

This makes little sense. You never want to draft for need. First off, we don't have a dynamic runner on the roster, so this wasnt exactly a luxury pick. Since we didnt move up for Raji, anything else would have been a reach. I think you'll sing a different tune when Moreno rushes for over a thousand and Orakpo has 3.5 sacks.

CSU Husker
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Worst move was trading two 3rd rounders for a blocking TE that was projected to go in the 5th round. I still cant figure that one out, its like McD was just trying to get rid of picks.

Br0nc0Buster
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Worst: Richard Quinn
Trading up for him IMO showed a lack of experience.
I mean I really dont see what we can get out of a blocking TE that would warrant what we gave up. He is a situational player.

Best: Ayers, even though it is a redundant answer.

His value seemed to match our need, and he does have potential to be special

Sassy
04-26-2009, 06:04 PM

With the way we lost RB's left and right. Moreno may just be the best decision of the draft.

DenverBrit
04-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I love them all, except any who turn out to be busts. ;D

DenverBrit
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Moreno might be the best player, but again, goes back to the needs.

Remember, he's coming to a team where the only RB not on IR is Tatum. ;D

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Quinn is the worst, and while that WR from SC is talented, I wouldn't have drafted him.

Best: The best player we got was Moreno, I don't know why people don't like the pick, especially lex since he was such a prick about not getting a 1st round RB last year. But my favorites are Ayers and Smith.

tnedator
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
With the way we lost RB's left and right. Moreno may just be the best decision of the draft.

He might, but based on the "lost RB's left and right", the argument would be for quantity, not quality.

I've been wanting a top tier, 25 carry a game back ever since we traded Portis. I love having him on the team. However, until I see that we have a front seven already on the roster capable of winning this year, I can't see that being a good pick.

tnedator
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Remember, he's coming to a team where the only RB not on IR is Tatum. ;D

Jordan 2 years, $2.5 million ($500k signing bonus)
Arrington 4 years $10 million ($1.8 million signing bonus)
Buckhalter 4 years $10 million ($1.8 million guaranteed)

Yes, Moreno has much more upside.

TheDave
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Best : Great 1st round... solid pickups in the 2nd day with the Guard, WR, and developmental QB

Worst: Smith & Quinn are going make me scratch my head for a VERY long time.

Archer81
04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Worst move was trading two 3rd rounders for a blocking TE that was projected to go in the 5th round. I still cant figure that one out, its like McD was just trying to get rid of picks.

Patriots have their own way of looking at players and going to get players that fit what they try to do, so they constantly move up and down the board trying to target good players they can get cheaply. McDaniels is doing the same thing.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
I love them all, except any who turn out to be busts. ;D

exactly that TE puts people on there buts and Moreno rolls in for 10-15 tds a yr people will love him, buy his jersey, and let them screw their daughters.

TheDave
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Patriots have their own way of looking at players and going to get players that fit what they try to do, so they constantly move up and down the board trying to target good players they can get cheaply. McDaniels is doing the same thing.

Except for the "Move Down" part...

Archer81
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Except for the "Move Down" part...

I was referring to the Patriots. If the Broncos did not have anyone they wanted worth the 18th pick, it would have been given to someone, like Buffalo or Cleveland, and we would have moved back into the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not a bad thing, just different then what we are used to.

jayman_37
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I love the first round, but I am frustrated at how they went after free agency if they knew that they would have a chance to get the best running back available. We have 9 running backs and spent a bunch of money in the secondary also. So where do two of our first three picks go? Those spots we just spent a bunch of money on.

tnedator
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I love the first round, but I am frustrated at how they went after free agency if they knew that they would have a chance to get the best running back available. We have 9 running backs and spent a bunch of money in the secondary also. So where do two of our first three picks go? Those spots we just spent a bunch of money on.

Even with the secondary moves in free agency, we need a nickel CB. Hopefully, Smith can keep slot receivers from torching us like in recent years. He needs to at the price we paid for him.

SoDak Bronco
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
what were the length of contracts JJ Arrington, Lamont and Buckhalter signed?

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

4, 4, and 2. I forget in what order.

ayjackson
04-26-2009, 06:49 PM
The first three picks are all solid picks. It's unfortunate that we had to designate next year's number one in the trade and couldn't just have identified it as the lower of the two picks.

The TE is frustrating, but Belichick and Parcells have a long history of frustrating their fan bases with curious TE selections, when not thought a need.

Archer81
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Even with the secondary moves in free agency, we need a nickel CB. Hopefully, Smith can keep slot receivers from torching us like in recent years. He needs to at the price we paid for him.

Alot of people considered him the 2nd best corner in this draft, if he winds up starting at some point and is a probowler, the argument will mutate into we fleeced Pittsburgh for him...

ludo21
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Best: I really liked Ayers before the draft so to get a player I was high on is nice. I hope it works out well for us.

Worst: The Center in the last round makes me scratch my head. We could have gotten him as a UDFA most likely and we could have drafted Froncois from LSU at DT instead.

all in all I think I liked how things went down.

Vegas_Bronco
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I absolutely love all three of our first picks....but don't like the price we paid.

Worst Pick: I'll go with McD's judgement pick of giving up a first round pick for a player we could have easily acquired from any other team for the same price.

Gcver2ver3
04-26-2009, 06:57 PM
best pick = Knowshon Moreno...gutsy pick that makes more sense each time i think about it...Knowshon has a chance to be the best back in the AFC within 2 yrs or less...

worste pick = Richard Quinn...i almost picked Smith, but Smith actually has a 1st round grade so while it was expensive, he may be justified...but Quinn i doubt was targeted by NFL teams as much as McD thinks...then again, he'd know better than me...

BMarsh615
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
BEST: Knowshon Moreno. Everyone is going to love this guy. We have waited for a legit RB that isn't just a system guy ever since Clinton Portis. He is a punishing runner who will be an excellent compliment to Hillis. Teams are going to get beat up by our backs next year and for the years to come. He will help Orton out a lot too, because Orton loves the check downs.

WORST: Alphonso Smith. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, but I just don't like what we gave up to get him. I kind of warmed up to the idea when I thought we were going to be giving up Chicago's pick... but after I found out we gave up our pick I became 100% against this trade. If we can make the playoffs though I won't have any problems with it. :D

tnedator
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Jordan 2 years, $2.5 million ($500k signing bonus)
Arrington 4 years $10 million ($1.8 million signing bonus)
Buckhalter 4 years $10 million ($1.8 million guaranteed)

tsiguy96
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
the ONLY real question i have is quinn. i understand the reason for him and understand why we traded up (he was flying up draft boards and had a LOT of team visits before us) but it just seems questionable for a blocking TE.

the rest seems ok...well find out however.

uplink
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Best: Moreno (he will be good) Worst: Quinn (too early)

Best Pass: Freeman (He has already made a mistake running his mouth regarding Tampa's strategy of using Leftwich http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/25/freeman-bucs-told-me-leftwich-was-a-smokescreen/
)

randomtask
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Best: Moreno.
I just think that he's going to be a special player, and we now have a legitimate #1 RB as opposed to the club of backups we had before.

Worst: Quinn.
TE was probably the third best area on our team (below O-line and WR) We have a good to great recieving threat in Scheffler, and the best blocker at the position in Daniel Graham. Why would we need another blocker SO bad that we trade up into the second round to get him, when he had been rated in the 5-6th rounds? Is this a sign that we will use a 3 tight end formation, or that we're getting rid of Graham? At least the Smith pick was at a position of need, and was highly thought of by most of the scouting community.

/rant

socalorado
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
best-Moreno/Ayers/Bruton/Bradystarter
worst-Quinn.

Edit: I forgot the QB of the future!:wiggle:

backup qb
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Worst pick-Josh Mcdaniels......I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

colonelbeef
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

What exactly is cheap about wasting money on 3 FA RB's and then drafting one in the first round? What exactly is so thrifty and cheap about that?

I don't hate the draft as it stands by itself; I hate the draft as it plays over the context of how the offseason went.

Anybody else catch Mayock and Gruden going back and forth on how ****ing stupid and naive McDaniels was to lose Cutler? Was priceless.

Drek
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I just think that he's going to be a special player, and we now have a legitimate #1 RB as opposed to the club of backups we had before.

TE was probably the third best area on our team (below O-line and WR) We have a good to great recieving threat in Scheffler, and the best blocker at the position in Daniel Graham. Why would we need another blocker SO bad that we trade up into the second round to get him, when he had been rated in the 5-6th rounds? Is this a sign that we will use a 3 tight end formation, or that we're getting rid of Graham? At least the Smith pick was at a position of need, and was highly thought of by most of the scouting community.

/rant

I'd say teh Quinn pick is a combination of all the above.

McDaniels is going to run a lot of two and three TE sets, some with Graham and Scheffler, some with Graham and Quinn, and some with all three. The later will probably be a red zone weapon. I'm very much looking forward to a goal line formation that has all three TEs and Hillis in front of Moreno. Thats some power to punch teams with right there.

At the same time Graham is on the wrong side of 30 and he is about to hit some big base salary spikes in his contract. We can't let the TE spot slack off in McDaniels' offense, its a critical part of the offense's production.

tsiguy96
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
What exactly is cheap about wasting money on 3 FA RB's and then drafting one in the first round? What exactly is so thrifty and cheap about that?

I don't hate the draft as it stands by itself; I hate the draft as it plays in the over context of how the offseason went.

Anybody else catch Mayock and Gruden going back and forth on how ****ing stupid and naive McDaniels was to lose Cutler? Was priceless.

mcdaniels did not decide to trade cutler at the end of the day, bowlen did.

NUB
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
BEST: Moreno. I'm pretty high on him as a player, as anyone should be.

WORST: Moreno. The Broncos issue with running-back last season was not ability, but durability. You don't need a first-rounder for that, IMO.

Rohirrim
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I like both first round picks. I think Moreno will have the most impact given the line and the fact he's a three down back, but Ayers will impact as well, especially if Nolan keeps him in the three point.

In a few years from now I'm going to love coming in here and reminding Kaylore that the Broncos traded up for Smith and Rey was drafted with the next pick. ;D

Br0nc0Buster
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM

/rant

Well I am not a fan of the Quinn pick, however perhaps if you consider the reasoning it stings less.
Moving up in the draft to select a blocking TE is not fun, however what sucked worse than that was our inability to punch it in the endzone last year.
Our redzone offense was a problem last year, and if Quinn can live up to his billing, then this is a big step in the right direction.

Imagine have Daniel Graham and Quinn on the line assuming Quinn is the blocker our staff thinks he is, and having Hillis lined up in the backfield.

We could grind it in the endzone, something we were unable to do last year