View Full Version : Moss offered for a 7th rd pick - Sirius Radio

baja
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
No Takers yet what a bust

Thanks Shanny

RhymesayersDU
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Hopefully we get a taker.

Can we get one more defensive back please? Or another rag armed QB? Or another guy who was completely unproductive in actual games in college? Whatever you do, don't bother with the front seven. All we need to do is rearrange the guys who were already there from last years 29th ranked squad and we're gold.

NFLBRONCO
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
How about 2010 7th rounder

Popps
04-26-2009, 02:58 PM
But, we should just blindly draft anyone in our past, as long as their position is labeled "DE or DE."

Look, I actually liked the Moss pick, to an extent. I didn't like the Royal pick, and look how it turned out.

We hit some, we miss some... and none of us really know what we're talking about with this stuff, despite the comical notions around here by some to the contrary.

GREAT coaches/staffs hit on about half of their draft picks. So, your average message board doof probably does about half of that, if lucky.

My biggest complaint in the past has been our refusal to go after any top-tier linemen via trade or free agency, and when we DID take DL, it was generally in late rounds. (Rarely great value.)

But, yesterday... we took probably the best DE prospect in the draft. Tough to complain about that.

baja
04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Or maybe a cup of coffee and a massage from a one armed man.

Popps
04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow, can you imagine how bad Moss must be? The staff basically looks at him in shorts and says, get him the **** out of here... immediately, and for ANYTHING.

baja
04-26-2009, 03:02 PM
This Moss situation points up just how far the franchise had slipped under the last years of Shanahan.

extralife
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I think their desire to get rid of him is to send a message. If he wasn't a former first round pick of an old regime he'd be allowed to compete with everyone else. But he was, so the sword has to fall.

extralife
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
This Moss situation points up just how far the franchise had slipped under the last years of Shanahan.

This is stupid. By that logic the "Clady situation" shows the exact opposite.

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 03:05 PM
But, we should just blindly draft anyone in our past, as long as their position is labeled "DE or DE."

Hypocrisy, thy name is Popps.

You do realize you're throwing away your #1 issue for years on end (an issue I have always agreed with btw) merely to support Josh in your quasi-obsessive pursuit of the old "Jay vs. Josh" battle ...

The real Popps would HATE this draft.

If Shanahan had made these picks, you would be APOPLECTIC.

chaz
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I think their desire to get rid of him is to send a message. If he wasn't a former first round pick of an old regime he'd be allowed to compete with everyone else. But he was, so the sword has to fall.

This is the feeling I get too...McD is supposedly so "pro-competition" yet does not even blink before shipping Shanahan's guys out of town.

See: Leach, Mustard, Cutler, and I'm sure more to come.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Clady was far from a stroke of genius on Mike's part. he was thought to be a top 10 pick. the only reason everyone assumed we would go after Williams was because we all thought Clady would be gone by our pick. I mean it isn't like Mike found a guy no one else knew about. he was highly touted coming out of college. he was a no brainer pick

baja
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Or Foster and about 30 defensive players.

tnedator
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM

There are a lot of people defending this draft, because of their ABM (anyone but Mike) mindset.

Mogulseeker
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
But, yesterday... we took probably the best DE prospect in the draft. Tough to complain about that.

I hope you're right about

1. He was the best prospect
2. He plays DE

Rohirrim
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Jarvis hits the road. How many more of Shanny's defensive mistakes are left?

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Clady was far from a stroke of genius on Mike's part. he was thought to be a top 10 pick. the only reason everyone assumed we would go after Williams was because we all thought Clady would be gone by our pick. I mean it isn't like Mike found a guy no one else knew about. he was highly touted coming out of college. he was a no brainer pick

Though quite a few folks around here jumped ship after the wonderlic test results came out that year and went over to the "draft Williams even if Clady is there" wagon.

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Wow, can you imagine how bad Moss must be? The staff basically looks at him in shorts and says, get him the **** out of here... immediately, and for ANYTHING.

No kidding ... no deal for a SEVENTH FREAKING ROUNDER?!

It's not just McD and Nolan then, nobody likes this guy.

Marcus Nash, come on down!

barryr
04-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Man, no team even thinks you're worth a 7th roudner, one that likely won't make a team.

McDaniels is obligated to give Moss a chance? Hello. Shanahan drafted the guy and Moss couldn't get on the field with him as the coach, a defense that couldn't stop anybody.

As for Shanahan's pick, I know I had troubles with some picks he made over the years, but waited until AFTER the players actually played before calling anyone a bust or whatever.

I take that back. The Travis McGriff pick in the 3rd round made by Shanahan was one I lost my lunch over as soon as that pick was announced.

broncobum6162
04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I hope you're right about

1. He was the best prospect
2. He plays DE
DE in college. He's been projected to play OLB in NFL in 3-4. DE in 4-3.
No disagreement that he was best available.

TheDave
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
No one is going to take him and his salary in a trade... Wait til he's cut and then take a look at him for league minimum.

Florida_Bronco
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
No kidding ... no deal for a SEVENTH FREAKING ROUNDER?!

It's not just McD and Nolan then, nobody likes this guy.

Marcus Nash, come on down!

Again, this is just a rumor from Sirius radio. It's pretty darn hard for me to imagine that a player of Moss's physical ability and didn't look like complete crap in his 2 years wouldn't even get a 7th rounder.

SOMEONE out there would make that trade on potential alone.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
No one is going to take him and his salary in a trade... Wait til he's cut and then take a look at him for league minimum.

He's on a rookie contract, he makes less than the league minimum.

TheDave
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
He's on a rookie contract, he makes less than the league minimum.

You sure about that... I thought i read his 2009 base salary was about 800K

tnedator
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
2009: $660,000, 2010: $750,000, 2011: $850,000

There's also $3 million worth of incentives throughout his contract, so those 'could' be elevated if he was starting and producing.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 03:59 PM
2009: $660,000, 2010: $750,000, 2011: $850,000

There's also $3 million worth of incentives throughout his contract, so those 'could' be elevated if he was starting and producing.

that's 3 million no team is ever going to have to worry about spending

Killericon
04-26-2009, 04:06 PM
This is the feeling I get too...McD is supposedly so "pro-competition" yet does not even blink before shipping Shanahan's guys out of town.

Yeah, because Leach and Mustard were QUALITY guys.

Come on. Moss has shown nothing, and probably won't project to the 3-4. He didn't even blink when he sent Cutler out of town? Yeah, that's how I remember it... :thumbsup:

tnedator
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
that's 3 million no team is ever going to have to worry about spending

Exactly, or if they did have to pay it, they would jump for joy, because it means he became very productive.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Wow.

Someone on this board called something wrong...at some point...about Moss....I'm sure of it.

Kaylore
04-26-2009, 04:17 PM

LOL Yeah and look at how quick 32 other teams have been scrambling to snatch up all those awesome picks!

Mustard: Retired
Nate Jackson: Unsigned
John Engleberger: Unsigned
Dre Bly: Unsigned.

Man we threw away some quality starters! This team was awesome last year too! Nothing like getting beat at home by the Raiders!

Surely Moss was waiting to explode! Now he won't because mean ol' McDaniels won't give him a chance because Shanahan took him! I mean it's not like it could have anything to do with his inability to learn the play book or anything.

Sodak
04-26-2009, 04:22 PM
My biggest complaint in the past has been our refusal to go after any top-tier linemen via trade or free agency, and when we DID take DL, it was generally in late rounds. (Rarely great value.)

Maybe IHOP left the Broncos a little gun shy on the FA market...

lex
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL Yeah and look at how quick 32 other teams have been scrambling to snatch up all those awesome picks!

Man we threw away some quality starters! This team was awesome last year too! Nothing like getting beat at home by the Raiders!

Surely Moss was waiting to explode! Now he won't because mean ol' McDaniels won't give him a chance because Shanahan took him! I mean it's not like it could have anything to do with his inability to learn the play book or anything.

Whats Slowik doing? Talk about career killer.

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 04:39 PM

That's pretty eye-opening. Even Bly is unsigned? Can't hardly understand that.

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Whats Slowik doing? Talk about career killer.

DB Coach for the Lions.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Exactly, or if they did have to pay it, they would jump for joy, because it means he became very productive.

true it would have been a very low risk high reward trade for a team.

if he doesn't pan out, cut him and you're out a 7th rounder, if he does turn his career around, then you spent a 7th and got a good DE.

TheDave
04-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Slow small corners don't last very long on Sundays... The one that surprises me is Dwayne Robertson.

barryr
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
DB Coach for the Lions.

Perfect place for him.

Drek
04-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Bly got old, it happens, it just happened to him a little sooner than expected.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Popps.

You do realize you're throwing away your #1 issue for years on end (an issue I have always agreed with btw) merely to support Josh in your quasi-obsessive pursuit of the old "Jay vs. Josh" battle ...

The real Popps would HATE this draft.

Buff, at least read the guy's take across the rest of the forum before you call him a hypocrite.

I think Popps and I are of a similar mindset on this draft. Would we have preferred DL help? For sure, it was our #1A biggest need (safety being #1B). But this class outright sucked for it. If you want proof look at the Marcus Spears 2.0 KC took at #3 overall. Or BJ Raji going #9 when he's a less aggressive, less powerful, less polished, and more character questionable than his best comp, Haloti Ngata, who was the #14 pick in 2006. Evander Hood went to a team that can afford to retrain him into a 5-tech, Ron Brace went to a team that can afford to sit and develop him for a while too. Other than that 3-4 teams steered clear of this draft's DL "talent".

Supposed 3-4 darlings like Dorrell Scott, Sammie Lee Hill, Jarron Gilbert, and Fili Moala got taken by 4-3 teams. That should a good indicator as to this draft's depth at the DL for 5 and 0 tech players. None of the other 3-4 teams really wanted into the pool either.

I'm not madly in love with this draft, I'm really not a big fan of trading a future 1st to get back into it (though I withhold too harsh a judgment until the exact terms have been made known), but at least we took guys who belong in the league and put football real high up their list of priorities.

uplink
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Now fox sports reporting as well
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9503582/Source:-Broncos-looking-to-deal-%2707-1st-rounder

I bet he wasn't released even earlier as teams don't like to admit mistakes in high draft picks

socalorado
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Now fox sports reporting as well
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9503582/Source:-Broncos-looking-to-deal-%2707-1st-rounder

I bet he wasn't released even earlier as teams don't like to admit mistakes in high draft picks

Moss=BU$T

Malcontent
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
This draft looked very much like a Shanny draft...head scratchers and beer can throwing incidents be damned!!

Bronx33
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Perfect place for him.

Ya he can screw up all day and the FO has no idea whos responsiable :spit:

chaz
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, because Leach and Mustard were QUALITY guys.

Come on. Moss has shown nothing, and probably won't project to the 3-4. He didn't even blink when he sent Cutler out of town? Yeah, that's how I remember it... :thumbsup:

When was the last time Mike Leach muffed a snap? and Mustard was a OT/TE hybrid who was an extra blocking body...we just spent a second round pick on his replacement.

And while I believe Jay forced his way out, and I mostly blame him, McD could have easily solved the conflict before it spun out of control. He didn't. He seemed to care when he talked to the media, but his actions said otherwise.

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
So does he go to Subway or a cell phone kiosk? The economy sucks right now, he may need to file for unemployment.

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Buff, at least read the guy's take across the rest of the forum before you call him a hypocrite.

That word was a bit harsh, yes, sorry about that Popps.

But my point was that Popps is pimping this draft (and wouldda pimped any draft) based upon the Jay vs. Josh battle still raging inside his head. I'm actually quite serious ... I've come to know Popps pretty well over the years, and he is generally very skeptical, even cynical. Yet today, he's been extolling the virtues of every pick, starting threads on a couple guys, etc ... and I'm telling you, this positivity is unusual ... and imo it's pro-Josh stuff in furtherance of "Jay vs. Josh." He became downright obsessed with that issue ... every post had several four-astericked **** words.

Bottom line is, Popps is and always had been D-line and pass rush obsessed. It's one of the best things about him, and I queue up in line behind him every time. So for him to putr those core principals aside, and praise a draft with just one front 7 player - and not a sack guy at that - is odd. I am merely offering an explanation as to why.

I think Popps and I are of a similar mindset on this draft. Would we have preferred DL help? For sure, it was our #1A biggest need (safety being #1B). But this class outright sucked for it. If you want proof look at the Marcus Spears 2.0 KC took at #3 overall.

Trade back then. Or up.

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Slow small corners don't last very long on Sundays...

We just traded away next year's first for one. ;)

TheDave
04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
We just traded away next year's first for one. ;)

Well that felt good...

We better make the playoffs.

Malcontent
04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Beantown Bronco;2399165]We just traded away next year's first for one. ;)[/QUOTE

4.30 is slow??

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Beantown Bronco;2399165]We just traded away next year's first for one. ;)[/QUOTE

4.30 is slow??

Not sure where you are getting your numbers: 4.51 at combine

And in every write up I've seen here and elsewhere: lacks ideal speed

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/alphonso-smith?id=80435

lazarus4444
04-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Combine 40 times does not make a football player (Unless your the raiders).

He might be combine slow but he's fast in pads and has explosiveness.

I have high hopes for Alphonso Smith.

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
That word was a bit harsh, yes, sorry about that Popps.

But my point was that Popps is pimping this draft (and wouldda pimped any draft) based upon the Jay vs. Josh battle still raging inside his head. I'm actually quite serious ... I've come to know Popps pretty well over the years, and he is generally very skeptical, even cynical. Yet today, he's been extolling the virtues of every pick, starting threads on a couple guys, etc ... and I'm telling you, this positivity is unusual ... and imo it's pro-Josh stuff in furtherance of "Jay vs. Josh." He became downright obsessed with that issue ... every post had several four-astericked **** words.

Bottom line is, Popps is and always had been D-line and pass rush obsessed. It's one of the best things about him, and I queue up in line behind him every time. So for him to putr those core principals aside, and praise a draft with just one front 7 player - and not a sack guy at that - is odd. I am merely offering an explanation as to why.

Trade back then. Or up.

Popps is also a realist who can evaluate beyond first base and see the forest for the trees. If Raji was there perhaps we would have gone Raji and Ayers , but then lost out on Moreno.

There simply were NOT many solid DL prospects that were better long range values at our picks in this draft to warrant selecting them over the very good players at other positions McD had vetted.

And neither Popps desire, nor mine, has lessened one bit for a stud front 7 across the board. But you can't squeeze blood from a turnip just because it has 'DT' or 'DE' stamped on the side as the Moss, Crowder fiasco is but one of a long line of examples.

There is also the matter of extracting value from what we have as well and there is good reason to at least find out if Thomas and Powell can play well in the 3/4. If they do, most of our DL problems are greatly lessened, and that is the very same question mark that any other draftee would have over his head coming in to a new system, no matter where they were on Mel Kiper's or Mayock's Mocks!

But like many of us here, Popps can see that McD has a plan and is following a core strategy of sticking with the plan to recast the Broncos as a complete well-balanced and disciplined team.

The Pats are famous for making ...and sticking to ... a strong draft board from guys they had thoroughly vetted as being the guys who would fit their positions, style of play, intelligence and character. They don't just reach for a guy cause he is the most popular name at a position of need. I questioned a few of these picks at first this weekend too, but I see the logic and respect what McD is trying to do, and so does Popps.

If you think adapting to changing situations and seeing beneath the surface and not blindly chanting a superficial mantra is what hypocrisy means, then you need a new dictionary BB!

BroncoBuff
04-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Dude, stop. Popps is married.

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Combine 40 times does not make a football player (Unless your the raiders).

Never said it did. Just providing evidence that the 4.3 time listed above was BS.

He might be combine slow but he's fast in pads and has explosiveness.

Pretty much every draft report I've seen of him says he's a playmaker but doesn't have ideal size or speed. Very similar to what we got rid of in Dre Bly. And that's the exact point I was making above if you read back a few posts.

(BTW - I would love it if this guy had a career like Bly's)