PDA

View Full Version : Quinn vs. Gonzo...who got better value?

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Since we don't have a Wonderlic for the Mane, I'd like to know instead, who you think got the better deal yesterday, the Falcons who traded a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez, or Denver who sent two 3rd rounders (which brought a 2nd rounder) for Richard Quinn? Personally Quinn sounds like a guy we already have here...Chad Mustard. Also...the going rate for Antoine Bolden is now also a 2nd round pick. So which of these things is different from the other two...Bolden...Gonzo...Quinn?

Would anyone in here give two 3's or a 2nd for Mustard?

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Since we don't have a Wonderlic for the Mane, I'd like to know instead, who you think got the better deal yesterday, the Falcons who traded a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez, or Denver who sent two 3rd rounders (which brought a 2nd rounder) for Richard Quinn? Personally Quinn sounds like a guy we already have here...Chad Mustard. Also...the going rate for Antoine Bolden is now also a 2nd round pick. So which of these things is different from the other two...Bolden...Gonzo...Quinn?

Would anyone in here give two 3's or a 2nd for Mustard?

No one is "crazy" about this pick 27. However, it may turn out to be the difference in our scoring offense. If this guy comes out in our 2 TE sets and allows Moreno to score, you'll be eating your shorts.

He was a reach to us, no doubt, but just chill out - it's done. If you don't want to be a Broncos fan, go jump on someone else's bandwagon.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
So is that a vote for Quinn?

SportinOne
04-26-2009, 07:11 AM
No one is "crazy" about this pick 27. However, it may turn out to be the difference in our scoring offense. If this guy comes out in our 2 TE sets and allows Moreno to score, you'll be eating your shorts.

He was a reach to us, no doubt, but just chill out - it's done. If you don't want to be a Broncos fan, go jump on someone else's bandwagon.

I love how everyone [still] hanging onto McD's jock likes to think that the rest of us are not Bronco fans just because we question the things that he does. Fact is, I (like most of you) will be here a very long time cheering for this team. But when i see complete idiocy I'm going to call him on it.. If Shanahan makes that pick I would have said the same thing.

This tight end COULD turn out to be a very good player. Mike Anderson didn't even play college football isn't that right? So this guy's 12 catches gives him an advantage over old Mike. If McD saw something in this guy that made him think he was really someone special, then okay. But there seem to be a few picks like that on day 1 and that's a lot of IF for a team that is rebuilding.

If they spent 2 3rds on him McD just has to see him as a pass catcher at some point... otherwise, why not just use Mustard?

mizzoutigers
04-26-2009, 07:11 AM
antoine boldin? who does he play for?

Kaylore
04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah Quinn is Chad Mustard. ::) The idiocy and hysteria of this place is becoming unbearable.

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 07:37 AM
I love how everyone [still] hanging onto McD's jock likes to think that the rest of us are not Bronco fans just because we question the things that he does. Fact is, I (like most of you) will be here a very long time cheering for this team. But when i see complete idiocy I'm going to call him on it.. If Shanahan makes that pick I would have said the same thing.

This tight end COULD turn out to be a very good player. Mike Anderson didn't even play college football isn't that right? So this guy's 12 catches gives him an advantage over old Mike. If McD saw something in this guy that made him think he was really someone special, then okay. But there seem to be a few picks like that on day 1 and that's a lot of IF for a team that is rebuilding.

If they spent 2 3rds on him McD just has to see him as a pass catcher at some point... otherwise, why not just use Mustard?

Why didn't any other team sniff on Mustard any of the ten times he was cut?

I liked Chad, but maybe we overvalued him?

In all reality, I would have preferred to get Quinn today, but it's done. Maybe they heard someone else was going to move on him, maybe they just think he is that "critical" to their offensive plans.

Time will tell. Just set forth your criteria for judgement now so its public knowledge. If Quinn becomes our second TE, and we improve on scoring offense this year, was he worth it?

RunSilentRunDeep
04-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe we can wait until we use the 4th we got back from the Steelers before weeing on this trade too much.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah Quinn is Chad Mustard. ::) The idiocy and hysteria of this place is becoming unbearable.
Explain how they are different...other than one costing us a 2nd round pick and one being an UDFA who played for the Omaha Beef semi-pro team before he got to the NFL.

Mustard: 6'6", 277 lbs; 5 years/12 career catches
Quinn: 6'4", 264 lbs; 4 years/12 career catches

The Joker
04-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Explain how they are different...other than one costing us a 2nd round pick and one being an UDFA who played for the Omaha Beef semi-pro team before he got to the NFL.

You've every right to be annoyed about this pick if you want, but logic like this is absolutely laughable and only serves to make you look like an idiot.

Surely you realise that there's more to what a guy has done/will be able to do in the NFL than college stats.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
You've every right to be annoyed about this pick if you want, but logic like this is absolutely laughable and only serves to make you look like an idiot.

Surely you realise that there's more to what a guy has done/will be able to do in the NFL than college stats.
OK smart guy...then make me look like an idiot if you can. Both guys are primarily blockers, catch almost nothing and are similar in size and purpose. The primary difference appears to be how they came into the league; one through the UFDA route and the other in the 2nd round.

Explain exactly how they differ please.

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 09:22 AM
OK smart guy...then make me look like an idiot if you can. Both guys are primarily blockers, catch almost nothing and are similar in size and purpose. The primary difference appears to be how they came into the league; one through the UFDA route and the other in the 2nd round.

Explain exactly how they differ please.

If Quinn (Second round power blocking TE) ends up being like Graham (first round power blocking TE with huge contract) then he will be worth it - agreed?

Kaylore
04-26-2009, 09:30 AM

That you don't know shows you might be the most ignorant person on this board when it comes to evaluating player personnel.

Rohirrim
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
The main problem I have with Quinn is that he would have been there for the Broncos first third round pick, if the averages from all the boards online are any representation of the truth. So far, they are right on. So, Mac could have picked Quinn and had another third round pick five picks later. Is this guy so essential, so good, such a wonderful BPA, that Mac had to outsmart everybody else and trade two thirds to go after him? I doubt it.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 09:36 AM
That you don't know shows you might be the most ignorant person on this board when it comes to evaluating player personnel.
Dude, you're not even close to being half as smart as you think you are. Go ahead...explain the difference between these guys if you're able to. The player himself didn't even expect to get drafted until recently. Go look at New England's TE catches and then come back to me with your all powerful wisdom.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
If Quinn (Second round power blocking TE) ends up being like Graham (first round power blocking TE with huge contract) then he will be worth it - agreed?
Their college careers bear no relation to each other. Graham was a 2 time All American, won the Mackey Award as the best TE in the country and he caught plenty of passes. This guy's caught a pass about every four games.

Clearly the 2nd round draft status is the closest thing anyone can use to compare him to Graham other than the fact they're both good blockers. How does him being drafted in the 2nd...a very questionable position...make him like Graham? He's much more like Mustard based on everything he's done so far.

I dare anyone to prove differently.

OABB
04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I was upset about this draft until i started reading footstep's posts...Now I'm excited.

thou doth protest too much...