PDA

View Full Version : Someone in the FO has some big, brass balls...

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm not advocating all the picks, this thread isn't about that. It is more about the trade for the Smith pick.

This pick will be eventually analyzed by the players and they will understand what their "arrogant" (not necessarily a negative connotation) coach has told the team with this pick.

We had two first round picks next year, and he traded ours, not Chicago's. That means he just told the team we will have a better record than Chicago - did he not?

If I was a player, I might have some questions, but this is a coach that truly believes he will be fielding a winning team next year. Hold on for the bumpy ride...

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Mike Shanahan - "This team will make the playoffs".

watermock
04-26-2009, 06:57 AM
The Cutler trade could go down in history for not only the Bears, but Philly as well.

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 07:00 AM

Poor Mike, he deserved better.

NYBronco
04-26-2009, 07:04 AM

All they had to do was win one of their last four games. I was really getting excited to see Mike's defense step up to a higher level of play in the playoffs. Alas... it will never be.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 07:05 AM
He can believe whatever he wants, but only a fool trades a 1st rounder from a stronger draft for a 2nd round pick in a weaker draft. I could MAYBE understand if this guy was a QB and there were none available next year or even an NT under similar circumstances. But this guy was not even a high priority need this year. He already signed a veteran CB and how many rookie CB's will start anyway?

The whole thing is one giant dump on the living room rug. I get the sense this guy is so overmatched he actually has no idea why anyone's pissed with him. In his post draft presser last night he actually inferred that this draft is stronger than next year's. Doe she actually believe that?

Bowlen needs to shorten the lease on this guy pronto before he wrecks the team beyond repair. I wonder if he's already wishing he could back out of this?

eddie mac
04-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Poor Mike, he deserved better.

He dug his own grave CM. His own fault, no-one elses.

He stood his ground on Slowik and Bowlen took all of the decisions out of his hands totally.

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 07:29 AM
He dug his own grave CM. His own fault, no-one elses.

He stood his ground on Slowik and Bowlen took all of the decisions out of his hands totally.

Agreed, I love Mike, but the Slowik thing was a "final straw." I'll never understand that one. I still wonder what would ahve been if we just committed to the Bates system for 2 years. It couldn't have been any worse than the transition to Slowik.

Anyway, these are interesting times, and I am excited to have a star at RB once again. If Moreno turns out to be 75% of LT, I will be pumped. And, if it takes three TE sets to get the ball in the end zone, so be it.

I just want a couple d-linemen today to make me feel more comfortable.

cmhargrove
04-26-2009, 07:31 AM
He can believe whatever he wants, but only a fool trades a 1st rounder from a stronger draft for a 2nd round pick in a weaker draft. I could MAYBE understand if this guy was a QB and there were none available next year or even an NT under similar circumstances. But this guy was not even a high priority need this year. He already signed a veteran CB and how many rookie CB's will start anyway?

The whole thing is one giant dump on the living room rug. I get the sense this guy is so overmatched he actually has no idea why anyone's pissed with him. In his post draft presser last night he actually inferred that this draft is stronger than next year's. Doe she actually believe that?

Bowlen needs to shorten the lease on this guy pronto before he wrecks the team beyond repair. I wonder if he's already wishing he could back out of this?

If Smith turns out to be our starting CB, you will look like a big ass, and the coaches will look really smart. Or, if he helps our team off the field on third downs as our nickel back he was worth it. We have been destroyed the past several seasons on third down. If he can help there, it was a pick well spent.

If he doesn't pan out, or ends up as a backup by next year - you will sound like a genius.

go_broncos
04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't care if it is our's or chicago pick.

Giving up 1st rounder is plain stupid.

I am really happy that TB took freeman..

Otherwise, we would have taken Freeman..

Thank god..it didn't happen

tsiguy96
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
If Smith turns out to be our starting CB, you will look like a big ass, and the coaches will look really smart. Or, if he helps our team off the field on third downs as our nickel back he was worth it. We have been destroyed the past several seasons on third down. If he can help there, it was a pick well spent.

If he doesn't pan out, or ends up as a backup by next year - you will sound like a genius.

exactly. which is why this stuff is so stupid, just give it a break until we see how good he is gonna be. he sounds like a baller by most accounts, and hes going to be learning under champ ****ing bailey.

lex
04-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Its not enough to be a starter. He has to play like a first round pick. And then even if he does that, you can also start to question some of McDaniels free agent signings.

Then the other issue is that even if Smith is a good player, what happens if during the course of the season we discover we need someone who is more of a true NT? If we would have kept that 1st, we could have had the ammo to move up to get it.

We're going back to the idea of building the defense back-to-front. We should have just traded our 2 thirds and then maybe traded lower picks to move up to take Quinn.

snowspot66
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Why would you question FA signings? They happen before the draft. It's an ass backwards set up.

The Joker
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Its not enough to be a starter. He has to play like a first round pick. And then even if he does that, you can also start to question some of McDaniels free agent signings.

To be fair, we're hardly flush with good CB's are we?

We've got Champ and then a bunch of "meh" sort of guys. Smith will hopefully be able to win the starting job over Goodman, if not this year then next.

Had we not taken a CB today, it'd have been a huge need before too long. Odds are we'd have had to seriously look at using one of the 1sts next year on a CB, so I can see the logic in using that pick a year early and getting someone sooner rather than later.

DrFate
04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Too bad balls are not a suitable replacement for brains...

Rohirrim
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't have any issues with Moreno. I thought he was the best RB in this class. I just thought RB was way down on the need chart. No problemo. Mac says he doesn't give a **** about need and goes with BPA. Fine. Ayers, I also had as the top defensive player. I figured Jackson was the much better fit, but he turned out to be unreachable. Raji, I didn't want any part of. He's a lazy ass. I just see Ayers as a hand in the dirt pass rusher type, so I don't know how he'll work out. I guess when Doom comes off, Ayers goes in? But I trust Nolan knows how it will work better than I do. So I'm fine with the first round. After that, it's a disaster.

We traded a first for a 5'9" CB. The next pick was Maualuga. That pick is going to reach "Ed Reed" proportions in Broncoland, IMHO. Time will tell. Then, the next pick is a mid-range S from Texas Tech. Why not William Moore, who just about everybody and their brother had rated much higher? The Broncos brain trust thought McBath was the better S. Thomas Dimitroff, who is building a dynasty in Atlanta, took Moore. Who knows. In a couple of years we can compare McBath to Moore and see how that worked out.

How about Fili Moala, the kingpin of the USC line, who has the size and power to play NT? There goes your NT right there. Who took him? Polian, one of the avowed masters of the draft. Then, you trade both your thirds for a guard/slash/TE? Can't you find one of those in the sixth or seventh round? There will be a ton of them. You trade two thirds for one? Obviously, Little Mac thinks he's smarter than everybody else. Smarter than Polian. Smarter than Dimitroff. Oh yeah, and who took Brace? Belichick.

I'm beginning to think it's deja vu all over again. I'm back in Wade Phillips country.

SoCalBronco
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Too bad balls are not a suitable replacement for brains...

Rep

lex
04-26-2009, 09:45 AM
To be fair, we're hardly flush with good CB's are we?

We've got Champ and then a bunch of "meh" sort of guys. Smith will hopefully be able to win the starting job over Goodman, if not this year then next.

Had we not taken a CB today, it'd have been a huge need before too long. Odds are we'd have had to seriously look at using one of the 1sts next year on a CB, so I can see the logic in using that pick a year early and getting someone sooner rather than later.

If you dont have the other pieces on defense, then what does it matter what you have at CB? Champ has been a waste the past two years, especially if you attribute our woes to a bad front 7. And we have a ton of salary tied up in him that is being wasted.

Drek
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Then the other issue is that even if Smith is a good player, what happens if during the course of the season we discover we need someone who is more of a true NT? If we would have kept that 1st, we could have had the ammo to move up to get it.

We're going back to the idea of building the defense back-to-front. We should have just traded our 2 thirds and then maybe traded lower picks to move up to take Quinn.

Andre Goodman is 30 years old. Champ is 30 and hasn't been healthy for a full season in a while. I think CB was a pretty noteworthy need.

They seem to have had Smith as a 1st rounder on their board this year, so it makes some sense from that end.

As for using it to move up after specific players next year? Taylor out of Michigan was thought of as a super stud NT at this time last year. He played like crap and now he's still on the board. You can't look at a future class and say "oh, this guy will definitely continue to progress at his current pace, stay healthy, and not have any character bumps, so lets sit on our hands for a year and try and get him next season".

Its why so many former front office people understood or outright advocated for the Lions taking Stafford at #1 even though he wasn't the best player on the board. You never know what the next season might hold so you take what you think will be impact players when they're available.