PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith - Call

UberBroncoMan
04-26-2009, 04:39 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Go listen to the chat with him. As pissed as I am that we gave up such a high pick next year for him, the kid sounds like he's going to fit in great here.

I really wish he wasn't 5'9 though, due to all the giant receivers in our division.

elsid13
04-26-2009, 04:49 AM
He's very good CB. He destroyed FSU by himself last season. Think he is Neon Deon and talks like he best player on the planet.

watermock
04-26-2009, 04:52 AM
We reached at 37 for our likely top 10 pick in '10.

He'd be a top 10 pick IF he was 3 inches taller?

He's not even a projected starter. Nickle. Jesus.

watermock
04-26-2009, 04:55 AM
He's very good CB. He destroyed FSU by himself last season. Think he is Neon Deon and talks like he best player on the planet.

He may talk like Deion in the ACC, but he's nowhere near the athlete.

And FSU sucks now.
How many picks came from there?

UberBroncoMan
04-26-2009, 05:07 AM
We reached at 37 for our likely top 10 pick in '10.

He'd be a top 10 pick IF he was 3 inches taller?

He's not even a projected starter. Nickle. Jesus.

Nor was Eddie Royal or Darrent Williams.

Like you I'm pissed about the implications of the trade if this goes south, but my point is that I think he's going to fit in well and I surely hope he pulls a Royal or Williams on us and ends up starting over Andre Goodman.

Rich Karlis
04-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Over the last 2 seasons Smith had 15 interceptions and forced 6 fumbles. He also returned 4 of those Int's for touchdowns.

He will come into camp this summer and straight up change the minds of all the people that hate this pick.

watermock
04-26-2009, 05:27 AM
I'd like to see what our pick would of been in '10.

fido
04-26-2009, 05:33 AM
I'd like to see what our pick would of been in '10.

Taylor Mays

TheChamp24
04-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Over the last 2 seasons Smith had 15 interceptions and forced 6 fumbles. He also returned 4 of those Int's for touchdowns.

He will come into camp this summer and straight up change the minds of all the people that hate this pick.

He is a decent CB prospect.

HOWEVER

Next year, if it is indeed a top 10 pick, and we could have the likes of a franchise QB, or an elite NT prospect in Cody, what would you say then?

dsmoot
04-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Nor was Eddie Royal or Darrent Williams.

Like you I'm pissed about the implications of the trade if this goes south, but my point is that I think he's going to fit in well and I surely hope he pulls a Royal or Williams on us and ends up starting over Andre Goodman.

I want every player the Broncos drafts to be a starter not a situational nickel or dime player. Not an unreasonable hope or even expectation. His size will hinder him. Too many people on this site talk about Darrent Williams as if he was some sort of pro bowl player. DW was a small corner with a lot of talent. He was a player that you loved to root for. He was not even nor would he ever become a top 15 corner in the NFL. Teams repeatedly took advantage of his size with physical mismatches and more than not succeeded. I really believe DW was about as good as he was going to be. He was no Darrell Green. Nor do I think he necessarily had a long career, baring injury, guaranteed in the NFL. Before he unfortunately passed, I had become convinced that he was not our long term answer opposite Champ.

Having said that, I hope I am wrong about Smith. I wasn't about DW.

Rich Karlis
04-26-2009, 06:03 AM
He is a decent CB prospect.

HOWEVER

Next year, if it is indeed a top 10 pick, and we could have the likes of a franchise QB, or an elite NT prospect in Cody, what would you say then?

Mcdaniels and Xanders had Alphonso Smith as first round talent so if they love kid I dont have that big of a problem with the trade. What if Smith earns the starter spot opposite Champ and absolutely excels in his first season? What if that pick turns out to be #27 or so?

Broncos_OTM
04-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Taylor Mays

Taylor Mays is over rated dude. he couldnt hold a candle to alphonso smith as far as playmaking. the only thing Mays has is size. you dilholes that like mays i am sick of hearing about mays .. rey rey ... mays is over hyped much like rey was.

TheChamp24
04-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Mcdaniels and Xanders had Alphonso Smith as first round talent so if they love kid I dont have that big of a problem with the trade. What if Smith earns the starter spot opposite Champ and absolutely excels in his first season? What if that pick turns out to be #27 or so?

What in your mind thinks we will be winning a playoff game next year?
I fail to see how this helps us stopping the run or generating a better pass rush.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 06:18 AM
So what? We could have had him for the #48 pick and a 3rd instead of our precious #1 next year. Of course we'd have missed on getting that blocking TE with 8 career catches...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-26-2009, 06:20 AM
So what? We could have had him for the #48 pick and a 3rd instead of our precious #1 next year. Of course we'd have missed on getting that blocking TE with 8 career catches...

So you were on the phone with them when they were making the deal? nice.

Rich Karlis
04-26-2009, 06:31 AM

How are you so sure Seattle was taking 48 and a 3rd rounder for their pick? I totally agree with you and would rather give up a 2 and 3 but what if that was put out there and Seattle didnt want it?

The 2 guys in charge of the team and the draft loved this guy and felt he was worth the risk. I watched the entire Florida St. game last night and I am half way through the Clemson game and I am starting to understand why Mcd and Xanders moved to get him.

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 06:51 AM
I want every player the Broncos drafts to be a starter not a situational nickel or dime player. Not an unreasonable hope or even expectation. His size will hinder him. Too many people on this site talk about Darrent Williams as if he was some sort of pro bowl player. DW was a small corner with a lot of talent. He was a player that you loved to root for. He was not even nor would he ever become a top 15 corner in the NFL. Teams repeatedly took advantage of his size with physical mismatches and more than not succeeded. I really believe DW was about as good as he was going to be. He was no Darrell Green. Nor do I think he necessarily had a long career, baring injury, guaranteed in the NFL. Before he unfortunately passed, I had become convinced that he was not our long term answer opposite Champ.

And DW for all his moxie was 5'-61/2" in high heels! ... Smith is a solid 5'9" from the combine report.

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Taylor Mays is over rated dude. he couldnt hold a candle to alphonso smith as far as playmaking. the only thing Mays has is size. you dilholes that like mays i am sick of hearing about mays .. rey rey ... mays is over hyped much like rey was.

Eric Berry's a much better prospect IMO.

snowspot66
04-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Four CB's from this past Pro Bowl are the same height as Smith. The kid can play. He'll do fine. Of course he's the starting Nickle. We have two solid veteran CB's on the team. The kid will be eased into everything else while he provides a solid option in the nickle from day one. Maybe we'll actually cover somebody this year.

dsmoot
04-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Four CB's from this past Pro Bowl are the same height as Smith. The kid can play. He'll do fine. Of course he's the starting Nickle. We have two solid veteran CB's on the team. The kid will be eased into everything else while he provides a solid option in the nickle from day one. Maybe we'll actually cover somebody this year.

I hope McDaniels is correct on this one just like Shanahan was with Royal last year. These guys are certainly better evaluators of talent than I am.

TonyR
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Yes, good point. So many guys here were blowing Rey over the last few months and the dude fell out of the first round. And we're to believe they know what they're talking about. Hilarious.