PDA

View Full Version : What can we spend our other 2010 #1 pick on tomorrow?

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey I know we pissed away our probable top 5 pick next year on a mediocre CB prospect and two 3rds on a guard playing TE today but not to worry...we still have some ammo for the rest of the draft. Did you forget we still have another #1 left for 2010? Let's not let it go to waste.

What should we spend it on?

There must be some piece of crap player in the 4th or 5th round that we just can't live without...so who is it?

We've got the long snapper and blocking dummy TE taken care of...how bout holder? Whose gonne do THAT job?

Discuss...

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh come on, heav and popps will be in soon to tell us that we are the best team in the NFL and we are going to be tops on defense by getting a tight end and another corner back. Don't you understand what a running back will do for the defense? The Broncos are headed for the superbowl now baby, didn't you hear.

Atlas
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm physically ill. I was just upset when I thought they traded Chicago's #1. When I found out it was actually their #1 I became ill.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM
any way we can spend next years number 1 on shutting up the whiny bitches who are crying about spending a pick on a good player and already claiming us to suck without us actually having had a real game or even meaningful practice yet.

everyone says we should have held onto it for a QB next season, but if we weren't willing to pay for Sanchez, what makes anyone think we would pay for someone next season, when the deal for a top 5 QB will be even bigger than this years?

Atlas
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
any way we can spend next years number 1 on shutting up the whiny b****es who are crying about spending a pick on a good player.

everyone says we should have held onto it for a QB next season, but if we weren't willing to pay for Sanchez, what makes anyone think we would pay for someone next season, when the deal for a top 5 QB will be even bigger than this years?

So obviously there is a problem with the ownership in Denver. They have a fairly new stadium, SOld out every game sell lots of merchandise but they can't afford to pay a top 10 player next year??

SELL THE TEAM IF YOU CAN'T COMPETE

Archer81
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Brady Quinn.

:Broncos:

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 11:22 PM
any way we can spend next years number 1 on shutting up the whiny b****es who are crying about spending a pick on a good player and already claiming us to suck without us actually having had a real game or even meaningful practice yet.

So when can we expect the apologists to get a mouthfull of McDaniels and be quiet till he actually wins some playoff games?

Doggcow
04-25-2009, 11:22 PM
You ****s want to pay top 5 money? Really? We can sign established FA's with that kind of money, at no risk.

TDmvp
04-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Pizza ...
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8743/throwback.jpg

Popps
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
So obviously there is a problem with the ownership in Denver. They have a fairly new stadium, SOld out every game sell lots of merchandise but they can't afford to pay a top 10 player next year??

SELL THE TEAM IF YOU CAN'T COMPETE

no team wants to pay the bounty of top 10 picks. Jerry Jones and Snyder even don't care for the price of those guys.

i mean come on, Stafford got the biggest deal in NFL history, going by guaranteed money, when next season he would have been at best the 3rd QB taken.

people need to get over it, the pick is spent. Smith is a good player. he is going to be used a lot. it was a good move, especially since our 1st next season is going to be quite a bit lower(late teens early 20s) than all the whiners seem to think

Popps
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Oh come on, heav and popps will be in soon to tell us that we are the best team in the NFL and we are going to be tops on defense by getting a tight end and another corner back. Don't you understand what a running back will do for the defense? The Broncos are headed for the superbowl now baby, didn't you hear.

You poor little boy. You'd better go hide in the corner. The boogie-man is going to get you.

BOO!!!

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM

statistics kill your bitching.

last season in the 4 games Hillis started in some capacity, we went 3-1. Our PPG went from 23 a game up to near 30. our points allowed per game went from around 28 down to around 20.

the addition of a legitimate rushing threat increased our offensive output by almost a TD and dropped our points allowed by a TD.

seems to me like a good RB is a great addition to the team and helps in all phases of the game.

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 11:30 PM
You poor little boy. You'd better go hide in the corner. The boogie-man is going to get you.

BOO!!!

I think you need a visit by the McDaniels fairy again. He will renew you faith in a lousy coach. Or maybe you still have him in you special place.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Maybe because Bradford is better?

But your right...that's why I'm suggsesting we dump that nasty #1 we still have left so we don't have to pay him. Think how many UDFA's we can sign for that.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
statistics kill your b****ing.

last season in the 4 games Hillis started in some capacity, we went 3-1. Our PPG went from 23 a game up to near 30. our points allowed per game went from around 28 down to around 20.

the addition of a legitimate rushing threat increased our offensive output by almost a TD and dropped our points allowed by a TD.

seems to me like a good RB is a great addition to the team and helps in all phases of the game.
No **** Sherlock that's why we didn't need another RB at the #12 pick...because we have one coming back who we already know can play.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 11:41 PM
No **** Sherlock that's why we didn't need another RB at the #12 pick...because we have one coming back who we already know can play.

do you truly believe Hillis is a 20+ carries a game RB in the NFL?

he is good as a change of pace, short yardage goal line guy, catch a few passes a game, but he isn't going to be a guy who has the stamina to be a 20+ carries a game back for a whole season

but pair him with a guy, and split the carries like the do in Carolina and Tennessee and they compliment each other well and form a fierce tandem.

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
statistics kill your b****ing.

And how is our #29 defense better? Tell us all of you RB fantasies but how do they stop anyone?

Doggcow
04-25-2009, 11:48 PM

We got THE BEST RB on the board. Pretty sure we lost half a dozen or so RB's last year, so I hardly see it as a wasted pick.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Nope...and McStupid already said his offense would be alternating backs in a one-back system. That's why McStupid signed a couple of FA guys in the offseason. If he wanted a rookie back this bad he could have traded back from 18 and picked up Wells or Brown. We needed defense, not a guy getting 15 carries a game.
he is good as a change of pace, short yardage goal line guy, catch a few passes a game, but he isn't going to be a guy who has the stamina to be a 20+ carries a game back for a whole season
As a matter of fact we don't even know that...but as I already showed, it's irrelevant.

Doggcow
04-25-2009, 11:49 PM

but pair him with a guy, and split the carries like the do in Carolina and Tennessee and they compliment each other well and form a fierce tandem.

People don't get that, nor do they get the actual economics of 1st round picks and what they cost and the lasting impact of a bust. Jamarcus Russell and Michael Huff set Oakland back about 20 years easy.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
We got THE BEST RB on the board. Pretty sure we lost half a dozen or so RB's last year, so I hardly see it as a wasted pick.
Says the guy who thinks we got Elway in free agency. You were 12 when he retired...do you even remember the guy?

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
You ****s want to pay top 5 money? Really? We can sign established FA's with that kind of money, at no risk.

Ummm... you ****s know we can trade down like Cleavland and get a **** ton of picks at a cheaper price. Our next years 1st could have turned into a 1st + a 2nd + a lower round pick or a player.

Now it's just a 2nd rounder...

Doggcow
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
And how is our #29 defense better? Tell us all of you RB fantasies but how do they stop anyone?

Last I checked, their offenses can't score while ours is on the field. I could be wrong though.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM

like i pointed out in the post before that you seemingly either didn't read or were too stupid to comprehend. a good running game directly helps out a weaker defense. it keeps it off the field by playing clock control, which gives the opposition less time on the field and less chances to score.

as i pointed out, because we had a legit threat rushing the ball for a 4 game stretch with Hillis our defenses points allowed per game went down from around 28 per game down to almost 20 a game so you see, because we could control the clock a little more with a running game the defense was off the field more and due to that allowed less points a game, which made us a better team.

and with your argument on how we had Hillis coming back. even if we use him as a RB, the NFL has become a 2-Back league, and it is a good move to have 2 strong RBs to carry the load.

look at Carolina. Stewart a 1st rounder, and so was Williams a couple years ago. Tennessee, a 1st rounder in Johnson, and a high 2nd on White. those teams had 2 of the most formidable running games in the league, and no one bitched that they spent a high pick on a RB.

Doggcow
04-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Ummm... you ****s know we can trade down like Cleavland and get a **** ton of picks at a cheaper price.

Not really a lot of picks, just a lot of camp fodder. Seriously, lets trade down and pick up god damn Selvin Young for those 3 spots? Who gives a **** about garbage QB's that have never thrown a pass in the NFL?

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Footsteps is such a drama queen.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Footsteps is such a drama queen.
The biggest drama queens are those who like to use the term "drama queen".

houghtam
04-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Cry some more footsteps. Let me wipe your tears.

Popps
04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Life must be very scary for some people.

Doggcow
04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I think footsteps runs around punching babies in the face every day, but since he didn't leave the house today he has to find another way to be a ****head to the world.

scttgrd
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
like i pointed out in the post before that you seemingly either didn't read or were too stupid to comprehend. a good running game directly helps out a weaker defense. it keeps it off the field by playing clock control, which gives the opposition less time on the field and less chances to score.

as i pointed out, because we had a legit threat rushing the ball for a 4 game stretch with Hillis our defenses points allowed per game went down from around 28 per game down to almost 20 a game so you see, because we could control the clock a little more with a running game the defense was off the field more and due to that allowed less points a game, which made us a better team.

and with your argument on how we had Hillis coming back. even if we use him as a RB, the NFL has become a 2-Back league, and it is a good move to have 2 strong RBs to carry the load.

look at Carolina. Stewart a 1st rounder, and so was Williams a couple years ago. Tennessee, a 1st rounder in Johnson, and a high 2nd on White. those teams had 2 of the most formidable running games in the league, and no one b****ed that they spent a high pick on a RB.

Either you are an idiot or just daft, you start with defense. It's not something you manufacture from the offense. Having a top five running back does **** for you when your defense is a gateway to the endzone. Get a clue, or shut your hole.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I think footsteps runs around punching babies in the face every day, but since he didn't leave the house today he has to find another way to be a ****head to the world.
You don't like my idea? You seemed to like it when McStupid tried it.

Back to how we got Elway in free agency now... :wiggle:

houghtam
04-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Actually statistics show a great running game and a good defense are very closely entwined. Anyone who thinks our defense during our Super Bowl years was any good needs to think twice...or rewatch those seasons.

But hey, keep crying and hating on McDaniels. I'm sure it will make you feel better.

scttgrd
04-26-2009, 12:12 AM
You don't like my idea? You seemed to like it when McStupid tried it.

Back to how we got Elway in free agency now... :wiggle:

Don't wast much energy on the suckers. I think some of these guys didn't get breastfed enough. Go back and suck on mommas teat.

BroncoMan4ever
Either you are an idiot or just daft, you start with defense. It's not something you manufacture from the offense. Having a top five running back does **** for you when your defense is a gateway to the endzone. Get a clue, or shut your hole.

do you truly believe that we were going to have an elite defense if we drafted DL players in the 1st-2 rounds of the draft?

regardless the defense was still going to be a weak point of the team and it is better to have a good running game to limit the oppositions time with the ball as opposed to marching out a weak defense all game long to get shredded.

footstepsfrom#27
Cry some more footsteps. Let me wipe your tears.
Crying? No...I was a bully as a child, so now I'm just enjoying again how easy it is to torment retards. It's cathartic...truly it is. :sunshine:

Doggcow
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Actually statistics show a great running game and a good defense are very closely entwined. Anyone who thinks our defense during our Super Bowl years was any good needs to think twice...or rewatch those seasons.

But hey, keep crying and hating on McDaniels. I'm sure it will make you feel better.

Lol, I can't wait for these threads to be ones of legacy after next year.

snowspot66
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM

Guess what? We can't fix our defense in one draft. HOLY ****ING **** AMAZING HUH?!

Even if we did draft all defensive linemen we would, get this, still suck on defense! They would take several years to reach full potential. They wouldn't help next season even if by some miracle of God we did hit on the picks.

Pre draft our defense didn't have a back or a front. It sucked all across the field. We got some good players for the backfield (who will start or see significant time) because the talent wasn't there for the front. We'll just have to make do. This is a horrible top of the draft for defensive linemen. But I guess that won't persuade you otherwise. You would rather we draft all DL like we did in 07. That's really paying dividends for us now.

Popps
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Well, I watched every game live, then on tape... and probably many times over ever since. Our defense was fantastic. The average fan ****s on that defense because they just don't know what they were looking at.

Were they helped out by a great running game? Of course. But, we got into our first SB by winning a game 14-10. Our defense had stellar runs in the playoffs and ranked out in the top 10 in every category.

So, you're half-right.

BroncoMan4ever
Don't wast much energy on the suckers. I think some of these guys didn't get breastfed enough. Go back and suck on mommas teat.

says the main guy crying about our draft.

i mean there are still 5 rounds in this draft, and i am sure the DL will be addressed

manchambo

look at Carolina. Stewart a 1st rounder, and so was Williams a couple years ago. Tennessee, a 1st rounder in Johnson, and a high 2nd on White. those teams had 2 of the most formidable running games in the league, and no one b****ed that they spent a high pick on a RB.

You have somewhat of a point, but it seems to me that you are looking at another, slightly more obvious way to improve the defense.

That is to actually improve the defense. As in, by not having inferior players at most of the important positions.

Some "old fashioned" football minds think that an important way to do that is to get non-inferior players and play them on your defense.

But hey, your method might be the wave of the future.

SoCalBronco
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't know why people are attacking footsteps.

If someone told this forum at the beginning of the day that we would sacrifice both of our thirds for ANOTHER blocking TE, our first rounder for another midget corner and fail to address the DL on Day One for yet another year, said person would be laughed off of this site for making up something that could never happen, EVER out of sheer "hate".

Well, it ****ing happened. So it surely follows that ANYTHING could happen tomorrow, including this, esp. since Bowlen appears to be concerned with money-first, these days. Anything is possible with this group.

WABronco
04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
The biggest drama queens are those who like to use the term "drama queen".

He's not the one crying and making an internet scene.

But, to answer your thread question, yes, I think we should trade our first for 1 6 and 3 7's. It's good to have multiple picks. I steadfastly stand steadfast behind that reasoning.

WABronco
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm physically ill. I was just upset when I thought they traded Chicago's #1. When I found out it was actually their #1 I became ill.

God damn dude.

TDmvp
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Crying? No...I was a bully as a child, so now I'm just enjoying again how easy it is to torment retards. It's cathartic...truly it is. :sunshine:

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!
classic and rep

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
You have somewhat of a point, but it seems to me that you are looking at another, slightly more obvious way to improve the defense.

That is to actually improve the defense. As in, by not having inferior players at most of the important positions.

Some "old fashioned" football minds think that an important way to do that is to get non-inferior players and play them on your defense.

and i am saying that because the top of this draft was weak for DL players, that it was a good move getting a RB as the running game directly helps the defense as much as it helps the offense.

sure we could have bypassed Moreno, Ayers, SMith, McBath and Quinn to reach on guys like Jerry, Orakpo, Brown, and been in the same situation we are in now with guys like Moss and Crowder, where we took guys because they played positions we needed help at, but are not really that good or don't fit the teams scheme.

and then we would be in a situation of hoping mediocre guys pan out, or we could have done what we did and gotten good guys to build upon that will actually contribute or be of use to the team

scttgrd
04-26-2009, 12:22 AM
says the main guy crying about our draft.

i mean there are still 5 rounds in this draft, and i am sure the DL will be addressed

Yes and im waiting for your foolproof prediction for the Broncos record next year. Lets hear it, no sh!t just facts.

So give it up, do they make the playoffs? I want to see if you are willing to put up or shut up.

Doggcow
04-26-2009, 12:23 AM
He's not the one crying and making an internet scene.

But, to answer your thread question, yes, I think we should trade our first for 1 6 and 3 7's. It's good to have multiple picks. I steadfastly stand steadfast behind that reasoning.

Lol, I'm sure all the pick stockpilers would love that. That really is a stellar idea :)

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 12:23 AM

Hilarious!

Doggcow
04-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Yes and im waiting for your foolproof prediction for the Broncos record next year. Lets hear it, no **** just facts.

So give it up, do they make the playoffs? I want to see if you are willing to put up or shut up.

Give me odds and I'll put my $20 in on that. (Since we missed the playoffs and did a massive overhaul I'd say something around 5-1 should suffice).

WABronco
04-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Lol, I'm sure all the pick stockpilers would love that. That really is a stellar idea :)

You cannot question the wisdom of acquiring multiple picks in exchange for one. You see, we acquire multiple players instead of one! It'll be just like the old days...your starting DT...MONSANTO POPE! STARTING CB ROC FREAKING ALEXANDER! WOOO BABY!

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes and im waiting for your foolproof prediction for the Broncos record next year. Lets hear it, no **** just facts.

10-6. possible wild card. depending on how the AFC East and South shape up

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't know why people are attacking footsteps.

If someone told this forum at the beginning of the day that we would sacrifice both of our thirds for ANOTHER blocking TE, our first rounder for another midget corner and fail to address the DL on Day One for yet another year, said person would be laughed off of this site for making up something that could never happen, EVER out of sheer "hate".

Well, it ****ing happened. So it surely follows that ANYTHING could happen tomorrow, including this, esp. since Bowlen appears to be concerned with money-first, these days. Anything is possible with this group.
Rep. As a matter of fact the chat room was JOKING prior to the draft about almost this exact scenario happening today.

Whose laughing now?

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 12:33 AM

now where is your prediction you whiny bitch

Atlas
04-26-2009, 12:36 AM

You can always trade down and get great value why just throw that value out the window. Obviously Seattle will be thrilled with their acquired top 10 pick next year.

Atlas
04-26-2009, 12:39 AM
no team wants to pay the bounty of top 10 picks. Jerry Jones and Snyder even don't care for the price of those guys.

i mean come on, Stafford got the biggest deal in NFL history, going by guaranteed money, when next season he would have been at best the 3rd QB taken.

people need to get over it, the pick is spent. Smith is a good player. he is going to be used a lot. it was a good move, especially since our 1st next season is going to be quite a bit lower(late teens early 20s) than all the whiners seem to think

If you don't want to pay a top 10 pick trade out of it and get value. Cleveland traded down three times today and got great value. Denver just threw away a top 15 pick for the 36th pick in the draft. Where is the value there?

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

"The sky is falling The Sky is falling" .... I'm soooo glad some of these guys aren't running the draft room, eh?

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
If you don't want to pay a top 10 pick trade out of it and get value. Cleveland traded down three times today and got great value. Denver just threw away a top 15 pick for the 36th pick in the draft. Where is the value there?

the value is there in the fact that first we won't be picking top 15. secondly, we still have a 1st rounder next season, so it was a luxury pick we gave away anyway, third Smith is a good player, and forth they got a player they wanted.

scttgrd
04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
"The sky is falling The Sky is falling" .... I'm soooo glad some of these guys aren't running the draft room, eh?

I see just as much crap from the likes of you as I do from the rest. Tell us all please, who in the NFL are you getting a check from? How will the Broncos make the playoffs? When you can answer either of those questions get back to us.

Popps
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I see just as much crap from the likes of you as I do from the rest. Tell us all please, who in the NFL are you getting a check from? How will the Broncos make the playoffs? When you can answer either of those questions get back to us.

He doesn't need to get back to you or any of the other light-weights around here. He's a long-time, quality fan with enough perspective to see things for what they are. Halamau has forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.

You've posted 500 times and I don't think you've posted anything worth reading, yet.

We get it. You hate the team. Anything else?

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Alphonso Smith is a player .. he's got that something special quality and will immediately be the nickle back and along with Camp and Goodman, Dawkins, Hill gives us a stud secondary all around.

I think McD and Nolan like some of the guys we already have as well that need a good system and good disciplined coaching and will benefit greatly just from not being rookies. Marcus Thomas is ready to shine as a 3-4 DE in his third year. Now we got Ayers opposite Doom to put some serious pressure on the QB, Larsen and Woodyard will play bigger roles this year and Andra Davis still has gas in the tank.

Relax guys we still will add some decent prospects on the D line before this is over, but this is a two year remodeling job not just one.

Some of the guys they wanted and we all liked as well were gone and I'm damn glad we didn't reach much to get someone lesser.

Yes we could have taken Brace but they obviously they felt he wasn't worth it over Smith. Time will tell but the sky is far from falling.

We are a better team now than we were yesterday by a good margin and getting Moreno is the ONE offensive guy in the first round that would have made me happy.

I suspect Scheff is gone and we will get some added value from him . He hasn't worked out with the team except at the minicamp and they want TEAM players here now.

All you Nervous Nellies why not wait until the dust settles a bit before jumin off the cliff or slitting your wrists.

Its just possible they do have a big picture plan in mind and have a wee bit better feel for some of these guys and how they might fit with what they want to do than anyone here who is gnashing their teeth and whimpering in the corner.

At least wait until the whole draft is over before having a melt down!

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:02 AM

our offense which was mediocre led us to 8-8 last season. people bitch and moan that with Jay gone we are doomed, but when it is truly thought about, he led an offense that was middle of the pack in scoring and his contributions can be matched or surpassed by Orton in McDaniels very QB friendly system. Orton wins a lot of games, and did it with bad OL in front of him and no real receiving weapons outside of a decent TE. here he will have Marshall, Royal, Stokley, Gaffney, Hillis, and Moreno and will be protected by a really good OL and will have a revamped running game, so he will be capable of leading the offense to at least the same point turnout as Jay last season.

our defense last season was terrible and just by dumpung dead weight, and putting together a good coaching staff, and getting players who all fit one scheme, as opposed to patch work defenses like we used to have the last few years will make us a better Defense, add in that a good running game will have the defense off the field more often, thus limiting the scoring chances of the opposition.

people also claim the schedule to be brutal, but every year it seems that some games look like can't lose and others seem to be impossible, but until the season starts, there is no way to tell. also, i don't think that the NFC East is as strong as everyone makes it out to be. Dallas and Washington are both teams we can beat, and Phily is not unbeatable. the Giants would seem to be the biggest obstacle in the NFC East, but without Burress and Spags gone, who knows how they will perform.

manchambo
04-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Alphonso Smith is a player .. he's got that something special quality and will immediately be the nickle back and along with Camp and Goodman, Dawkins, Hill gives us a stud secondary all around.

I think McD and Nolan like some of the guys we already have as well that need a good system and good disciplined coaching and will benefit greatly just from not being rookies. Marcus Thomas is ready to shine as a 3-4 DE in his third year. Now we got Ayers opposite Doom to put some serious pressure on the QB, Larsen and Woodyard will play bigger roles this year and Andra Davis still has gas in the tank.

Relax guys we still will add some decent prospects on the D line before this is over, but this is a two year remodeling job not just one.

Some of the guys they wanted and we all liked as well were gone and I'm damn glad we didn't reach much to get someone lesser.

Yes we could have taken Brace but they obviously they felt he wasn't worth it over Smith. Time will tell but the sky is far from falling.

We are a better team now than we were yesterday by a good margin and getting Moreno is the ONE offensive guy in the first round that would have made me happy.

I suspect Scheff is gone and we will get some added value from him . He hasn't worked out with the team except at the minicamp and they want TEAM players here now.

All you Nervous Nellies why not wait until the dust settles a bit before jumin off the cliff or slitting your wrists.

Its just possible they do have a big picture plan in mind and have a wee bit better feel for some of these guys and how they might fit with what they want to do than anyone here who is gnashing their teeth and whimpering in the corner.

Apparently you didn't hear when McNapoleon said he doesn't know that Thomas can even play the 3-4 DE?

And no one's complaining all that much about the particular people they picked. It's much more about how they squandered value. That's not being "nervous"--it's being rational.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:04 AM
He doesn't need to get back to you or any of the other light-weights around here. He's a long-time, quality fan with enough perspective to see things for what they are. Halamau has forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.

You've posted 500 times and I don't think you've posted anything worth reading, yet.

We get it. You hate the team. Anything else?

i love it when Popps starts virtually pimp slapping people on the board

ZONA
04-26-2009, 01:04 AM
I just want to throw this out there.

The Patriots and Steelers have picked lower then anybody over the past 3 or 4 seasons, in multiple rounds and found players. When I say found, I mean, they got talented players who were not necessarily hyped up alot and then coached them correctly to be better players then they were in college.

We can't overlook that simple fact. I player taken in the 4th can easily turn out to be a better player in the 1st with better coaching. I think the past 5 years we have seen this theory unfold here in Denver on the defensive side of the ball. We spent high picks on talented guys but they never improved because the coaching sucked. Why is is that the Steelers and Pats could always draft lower year in and year out but yet their players, for the most part, always improved more each year then other teams may have.

Coaching is huge part at the next level. I believe Nolan and crew can really get more out of our defensive picks, even mid round picks, then the last 3 or 4 DC's we've had.

NFL Defensive Player Of the Year in 2008 James Harrison wasn't even drafted.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:08 AM

i agree. i mean it was the same crap with Royal last year. we didn't trade up for him or anything, but people were pissed that at the time it seemed like we reached for him, and then 2 months later praising him as the next Rod Smith.

i like the Smith pick, but am a little wary of the Quinn trade, but i will at least hold off on labeling this draft as a failure until at least camp. especially because i really like the Moreno and Smith picks.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Apparently you didn't hear when McNapoleon said he doesn't know that Thomas can even play the 3-4 DE?

And no one's complaining all that much about the particular people they picked. It's much more about how they squandered value. That's not being "nervous"--it's being rational.

they had a 3 day mini camp. do you really think that was enough time to gauge whether or not a player can be good in a new position? he also isn't sure about the LB position yet. the only certainty right now with this team is Dawkins and Champ are starters, outside of that, who the hell knows? the rest of the team is fighting for positions learning new responsibilities and schemes and it will take until at least a few weeks into TC before we have a half way accurate portrayal of what the defensive rotation might look like.

Popps
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
And no one's complaining all that much about the particular people they picked. .

That's absolutely false.

It's much more about how they squandered value. That's not being "nervous"--it's being rational.

It's only rational because it's your opinion. McDaniels, Nolan and Xanders got exactly the guys they wanted. So, moving around and using the extra picks they had to get EXACTLY who they wanted seemed very logical to them.

Again, we go through this every year. Every draft "expert" on this board pipes up about value and who was taken where, and then later we find out... we all really don't know very much.

Shanahan reached as much as any coach in the league.

Neither of our first two picks were considered reaches.

We gave away 10-20 draft spots for a guy we had as a first round talent (in the 2nd) and we traded two 3rds for a 2nd and a 4th. Not exactly earth-shattering. Let's relax on the whole "squandered value" thing until we see how these guys play.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:14 AM

The Patriots and Steelers have picked lower then anybody over the past 3 or 4 seasons, in multiple rounds and found players. When I say found, I mean, they got talented players who were not necessarily hyped up alot and then coached them correctly to be better players then they were in college.

We can't overlook that simple fact. I player taken in the 4th can easily turn out to be a better player in the 1st with better coaching. I think the past 5 years we have seen this theory unfold here in Denver on the defensive side of the ball. We spent high picks on talented guys but they never improved because the coaching sucked. Why is is that the Steelers and Pats could always draft lower year in and year out but yet their players, for the most part, always improved more each year then other teams may have.

Coaching is huge part at the next level. I believe Nolan and crew can really get more out of our defensive picks, even mid round picks, then the last 3 or 4 DC's we've had.

i agree. with those teams it also comes into play that these teams look for certain attributes in players, and don't just limit the search to 1st day picks like a lot of teams do.

they don't reach, they identify players who fit their scheme and at the time look like mistakes because no one knows about these players until they get them up to speed and ready to perform.

McDaniels has been apart of the in NE and hopefully learned how to successfully do that.

manchambo
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
That's absolutely false.

It's only rational because it's your opinion. McDaniels, Nolan and Xanders got exactly the guys they wanted. So, moving around and using the extra picks they had to get EXACTLY who they wanted seemed very logical to them.

Again, we go through this every year. Every draft "expert" on this board pipes up about value and who was taken where, and then later we find out... we all really don't know very much.

We gave away 10-20 draft spots for a guy we had as a first round talent (in the 2nd) and we traded two 3rds for a 2nd and a 4th. Not exactly earth-shattering. Let's relax on the whole "squandered value" thing until we see how these guys play.

It's trading a first round pick for a second round pick. How hard is it to figure out? Even if we live in your dream world where they will draft between 17 and 27 next year, that's a lot of value that just evaporated. How is that an opinion?

And if they are doing **** like that, why am I supposed to trust that they are smarter than the rest of the league on their second round picks?

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:17 AM

i agree. it isn't like we traded our 1st rounder next season for an additional 7th rounder. we traded it for a guy we had graded as a 1st round talent that we liked.

also the extra 1st was a luxury pick, and they used it to get a player they wanted. i think that is damn good drafting there.

BroncoMan4ever
04-26-2009, 01:21 AM
It's trading a first round pick for a second round pick. How hard is it to figure out? Even if we live in your dream world where they will draft between 17 and 27 next year, that's a lot of value that just evaporated. How is that an opinion?

And if they are doing **** like that, why am I supposed to trust that they are smarter than the rest of the league on their second round picks?

draft value, that's all anyone ever says. it is not even a full day since the pick was made and it is already a bust.

Denver rated Smith as a 1st round talent, and used an extra 1st round pick to get him this year, so how's that for you draft value.

who's to say that next season there are 2 guys we feel are 1st round talents that we would want to bring in, with those picks? this year we felt there was a 1st round talent with Smith and we used that pick to get him, that is a smart move. that is what the Patriots do. they trade and maneuver to build up picks and when they find a talent they like, they use the extra picks to get that guy, and if i am not mistaken, it has worked out really well for them.

manchambo
04-26-2009, 01:22 AM
i agree. it isn't like we traded our 1st rounder next season for an additional 7th rounder. we traded it for a guy we had graded as a 1st round talent that we liked.

also the extra 1st was a luxury pick, and they used it to get a player they wanted. i think that is damn good drafting there.

What does "luxury pick" mean? That's one of the picks they got for letting go the most valuable thing a pro football team ever can get. And with all this team needs, there's no such thing as luxury.

This "graded as first round talent" line is bull****, too. On what basis am I to believe that this FO is so much smarter than the rest of the league?

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM

Well said Zona, and the truth is NO one knows how any draft works out until the rubber hits the road. And at least half of these wonder names all the Mock Draft devotees are drooling over will be out of the league or over paid backups in three to four years.

At the very least lets sit back after Sunday and after signing some FA on Monday and look at the big picture before having a panic attack !

I'm very much behind McD in what he is trying to do overall which is revamp this team as a TEAM and inject some hard core discipline and focus where it is needed.

With Jackson, Raji and Curry off the board, picking Moreno and still landing Ayers at 18 was a highly successful first round in my view.

Look at all the good players from the past two drafts we have that will be in year two and three now with a fresh new system. Clady, Spencer, Woodyard, Powell, Royal, Hillis, Josh Barrett, Kuper etc that will be playing at a higher level this year as well.

We still have some holes to fill on D but did any one think we were going to fix it all in one draft?

Real progress is what we are looking for and I think were are on the way to making just that. Whether we make the playoffs or not this year is a big question, in any event, with this brutal schedule and an all new everything. But I do know our odds of doing so are better now than they were yesterday.

manchambo
04-26-2009, 01:28 AM
draft value, that's all anyone ever says. it is not even a full day since the pick was made and it is already a bust.

Denver rated Smith as a 1st round talent, and used an extra 1st round pick to get him this year, so how's that for you draft value.

who's to say that next season there are 2 guys we feel are 1st round talents that we would want to bring in, with those picks? this year we felt there was a 1st round talent with Smith and we used that pick to get him, that is a smart move. that is what the Patriots do. they trade and maneuver to build up picks and when they find a talent they like, they use the extra picks to get that guy, and if i am not mistaken, it has worked out really well for them.

No one said he's a bust. I would have no problem using a second round pick on him. They used a (probably high) first. Their thinking is only even defensible if they know something about him that no one else in the league knows.

And can you show me where NE has ever traded a first round pick for a single second round pick? Matter of fact, can you tell me anyone who has done that?

All this talk about being savvy and "not reaching" is laughable. There can be no clearer "reach" than trading a pick straight up for a substantially lower pick.

Hulamau
04-26-2009, 01:30 AM
That's absolutely false.

Exactlamente Popps!