PDA

View Full Version : Grade Day One

frerottenextelway
04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Summary:

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College
Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Knowshon Moreno RB 5'11" 217 Georgia
Pick Analysis:The Broncos eschew their defensive woes to pick the electrifying runner from Georgia. Moreno is a versatile back with outstanding quickness and elusiveness, and he gives the Broncos another weapon in the passing game with his exceptional hands and underrated route-running. With Josh McDaniels' preference for spread formations, Moreno could emerge as a playmaker in his first season.

Round 1, Pick 18 (18) (From Bears) Robert Ayers LB 6'3" 272 Tennessee
Pick Analysis:The former Vol is an athletic edge player with outstanding versatility. As a potential defensive end/outside linebacker, he's capable of stacking the run while also providing some pass-rushing skill off the edge. Though he has been pegged as a "one-year wonder," Ayers was playing the best football of his career at the end of his senior season, and he may continue his ascent as a rookie.

Round 2, Pick 5 (37) (From Seahawks) Alphonso Smith CB 5'9" 193 Wake Forest
Pick Analysis:The ultra-productive ballhawk gives the Broncos another cover corner with big-play ability. Though Smith lacks ideal size and speed, he has an outstanding feel for the game and is an ideal nickel corner in the Broncos' defense.

Round 2, Pick 16 (48) Darcel McBath CB 6'0" 198 Texas Tech
Pick Analysis:The former corner-turned-safety has outstanding range and instincts. Though he isn't polished in coverage, he gives the Broncos a safety capable of playing as their deep middle player. Along with their other additions on the day, the Broncos have added some youth and athleticism.

Round 2, Pick 32 (64) (From Steelers) Richard Quinn TE 6'4" 264 North Carolina
Pick Analysis:The Broncos bypass some intriguing tight end prospects to pick up Quinn. While he's regarded as one of the best in-line blockers at the position, Quinn tallied only 12 receptions in his career. With Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler on the roster, Quinn will spend his initial season serving as an extra tight end in the Broncos' jumbo sets.

Trade Details:

Steelers receive:
2009 third-round pick (No. 79)
2009 third-round pick (No. 84 -- originally from Chicago)

Broncos receive:
2009 second-round pick (No. 64): TE Richard Quinn
2009 fourth-round pick (No. 132)

---------

Broncos receive
2009 2nd-round pick (No. 37)

Seahawks receive
2010 1st-round pick

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I give it an A for the 1st round and a C for the second round.

randomtask
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
B+ for 1st round.
D- for 2nd round.

Someone needs to tell McDaniels that making unnecessary trades is not impressing anyone...

broncofan7
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
1st round= A-

I love the selection of Knowshon--I honestly believe that he will be a superstar in this league for years to come--hands, elusiveness, vision--he is going to be dynamic in the spread offense

Ayers--Is he going to be an OLB or a DE? He is to small to play DE in a typical 3-4 and may not have the skills to drop into coverage---this is why I gave the 1st round an A-.

2nd round--absolute COLLOSSAL FAILURE.

trading OUR OWN #1 next year for a 2nd this year--and then we take a CB??!?!?!?!?!?! **** THAT. We gave Seattle a top 10 choice next year for a nickelback..nice move MCDOUCHE.

Darcel WHO?????? a 198 lb safety? I am about to gag...........William Moore was still on the board MCDOUCHE.

We trade BOTH OF OUR THIRD ROUND PICKS to draft a BLOCKING TE????? This reeks of a team who is so focused on a finite # of players and who are SCARED TO DEATH that another team may take one of them before they get to draft that they are willing to do anything to get those players.........a BLOCKING TE???? This 2nd round is ABYSMAL!!!!!!

GRADE for the 2nd round--A BIG MOTHER****ING 'F'

briane
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I give it a B- for the First round and a D- for round two. What the heck was mcD thinking in round two...

chex
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
The pick analysis for each of the top 4 players contains the word 'outstanding' at some point, while the last one contains the phrase 'one of the best'.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it sounds like these guys can be building blocks to turning around the mediocrity of the last 10 seasons.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Tombstone is right, 'A' to 'A-minus' for the first round.

'D-minus' for 2nd and 3rd

But trading a 1st rounder in a deep draft for a 2nd rounder in a weak draft is just plain fooooolish. Especially when we'll probably be slotted between 8 and 10 ... sorry, but there's too many changes to expect any kind of success in '09.

I suppose I like Alphonso Smith okay, but we needed O-line today ... and with SIX Day 1 picks, we drafted an impressive ZERO d-linemen. Unless Ayers bulks up.

Sad.

Somewhere Jim Goodman is laughing his ass off.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
The 2nd round was an epic failure, there is no excuse for that ****.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I don' understand trading the 1st pick for this years 2nd, but if they think this CB is a player, then I guess you nab him if you've got the ammo... perhaps he'll be another Darrent Williams.

mwill07
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Here's the thing - this draft seems to me to be a classic case of "BPA". McD drafted the guys he thought was the best player available, and he got the guys he wanted, as opposed to drafting for need.

As fans, we really look at our needs first. We don't have the luxury of first hand scouting info, so we really don't have any idea why particular players are rated higher than others. So, what looks like an unnecessary reach to us; to the coaches these are obvious good moves.

I'm not at all pleased with this draft, but I hope we can trust the scouting department's evaluations. That's a lot to hang on hope though.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Fact is, Broncos need a safety so I have no problem with that pick, that is the only reason I give the 2nd round a C.

Lycan
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I give it a B+

I love Moreno, Ayers and Smith. McBath is another pick I like, I think he could become our starting FS for years to come. The Richard Quinn pick is a little odd to me, unless they trade Scheffler, then it makes sense.

The only thing that keeps this from being an A++ is what we gave up in the trades. I can live with the Alphonso Smith trade but I think we gave up a bit to much for Quinn.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I thought the first round was brilliant. Moreno will be a stud I have watched every game he has ever played. I was enrolled at UGA before opting for CU so I always kept an eye on them.

Ayers is the best defensive player this year according to Mayock. You can't go wrong with that as Mayock is dead on.

However, after that it went downhill fast. While the CB Smith is a damn fine CB dude a first round pick in a draft that is supposedly full of DL talent next year is just crap. Then trading both 3rds for a TE? Come on dude wtf are you doing.

One thing the move for Quinn tells me is that Scheffler's days in Denver are done. Ugh the first round was great but the second was a bummer!

socalorado
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I voted A. But i have been drinking so................

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Unless everyone around has been watching 1000s of hours of college football tape and know exactly what they're looking for, the jury is out until these guys actually suit up and do something. Grading based on sexiness and perceived potential is Mel Kiper-type ****.

Never Trust a Snake
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I don' understand trading the 1st pick for this years 2nd, but if they think this CB is a player, then I guess you nab him if you've got the ammo... perhaps he'll be another Darrent Williams.

Bobby Beathard made a mockery out of trading next year's first to move up in the second in San Diego. He did it for stiffs like Jermaine Fazande and Bryan Still. These reaches are one of the reasons why Beathard was pressured to step down despite building the Chargers' only Super Bowl squad.

GoBroncos84
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I like the players that we got. Knowshon was one of my favorite players in the draft and I am ecstatic we got him. I was hoping for Rey at 18 but I have no problem with the Ayers selection, and Mayock helped ease any worries. I like Alphonso Smith a lot, and I also really like McBath. Never heard of Quinn

The issues I have is with what we gave up and when we took some of the players. I think McBath and Quinn could have both been had in the 3rd round if thats what we wanted to do. Smith was good value for where he was picked, but not good value when you add in that we had to trade a 1st next year for him. There are a lot of players I like in next years draft, I think it was a lousy trade. There is a chance we won't be very good this year, and that pick could be very high.

Not having any third round picks and not having drafted any d-lineman unless you consider Ayers one doesn't make much sense to me.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
i like Moreno Ayers and Smith. feel we could have gotten McBath and Quinn in the 3rd.

i think it was a decent draft considering players, but when you see that we took McBath with Moore still on the board, and what we gave up to get Smith, and giving 2-3rds away for a guy who would have been available tomorrow and plays a position that is already somewhat of an area of strength for this team seems odd.

so, since i do like 3 of the 5 players a lot i am going to give it a C.

Garcia Bronco
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Stills.

Go Hokies

I think we can't sfford to pay 2 first rounders next year and it was a good move if that's the case considering it will be a high pick.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM

His capsule looks almost identical to D-Will:

Not ideal height, but a supremely confident cornerback comfortable in man coverage ... challenges recievers ... could have trouble against big wideouts ... not afraid to support the run ... could be an impact return man ... bit of a gambler, and will take unnecessary risks sometimes ... teriffic competitor ... flips his hips well on the run ... needs to get stronger.

Sounds a whole lot like D-Will ... he doesn't have quite the speed, but I'm pretty psyched about him. We gave up WAAAY too much though ... that pick will end up #8 to #12, you watch ... we will be C-R-Y-I-N-G one year from today, mark my words.

McBath is a stud... I could see he and Barrett teaming up at safety for a long time.

socalorado
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I thought the first round was brilliant. Moreno will be a stud I have watched every game he has ever played. I was enrolled at UGA before opting for CU so I always kept an eye on them.

Ayers is the best defensive player this year according to Mayock. You can't go wrong with that as Mayock is dead on.

However, after that it went downhill fast. While the CB Smith is a damn fine CB dude a first round pick in a draft that is supposedly full of DL talent next year is just crap. Then trading both 3rds for a TE? Come on dude wtf are you doing.

One thing the move for Quinn tells me is that Scheffler's days in Denver are done. Ugh the first round was great but the second was a bummer!

Yeah, the 1st was good. Although moreno was a luxury pick, he will be good in DEN. Also, anyone who really thought Hillis was gonna be some full time RB was on crack just like i said all along. Just glad DEN didnt take MrGlass. Ugh.
And i wanted Cushing at 12 and English at 18
They went 15 and 16 i believe or right around there.
So my prospect value was right on, or at least close.
I think Ayers will be a beast in Nolans "Joker" scheme.
As for the rest of the draft, its a mess.
FoxyII was a huge mistake, and McBath while he has alot of range and will play alot next year, he could of been had later. Oh well.
I see Sheffler being shipped as we all type.
Hopefully MCD will recoup a 3rd for tommmorow with a Sheffler trade.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Bobby Beathard made a mockery out of trading next year's first to move up in the second in San Diego. He did it for stiffs like Jermaine Fazande and Bryan Still. These reaches are one of the reasons why Beathard was pressured to step down despite building the Chargers' only Super Bowl squad.

I understand your point but the Broncos did have a pick to give, so it's a little different.

go_broncos
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I gave it F.

I seriously think Pat and Mcd were drinking at the time of 2nd round..

How the hell did we give up a 1st round pick for CB..

On top of that, we gave 3rd round picks for Blocking TE..

Very Very sad day for me..

I just want to smash my laptop and TV..

Orange_Beard
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Stills.

Go Hokies

I think we can't sfford to pay 2 first rounders next year and it was a good move if that's the case considering it will be a high pick.

Could be, but why trade a top 10 pick away today? Wait till next year, get a first the following year. Seemed crazy to trade a top ten pick for Smith.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
i like the knowshown pick. ayers may work out. everything else sucks cawk with respect to the value/price. the corner won't tackle like d-will so that analogy fails.

I'm glad it's pretty crystal clear what we got in return for Cutler so that we may commence comparing apples to apples. Objectively, we didn't help ourselves where I think we needed help. If cost was an issue, why did we trade third rounders? To me that seems like the perfect round to balance price and performance. Oh, I guess Daniel Graham is getting old and a player who has 4 touchdowns in 12 receptions fits the Vrabel receiving mold, so that's really important.

all that said....again, wtf happened to our team? why did we hire an offensive coach?

in b4 "go be a bears fan"

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh my, McDaniels is so perfect how dare you heathens question him. He knows what best for this team and all you haters just go away. Every pick will be hall of famers and we will win the superbowl next year. It matters not what you think, the coach is perfect and everything will be according to his plan.

bpc
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Draft was bull****. What's this crap about not being able to pay players or draft picks? How do you build your team? Washed out vet FA's?

This team is sinking fast. The worst part about it? We won't even be able to reap the benefits of a very high draft pick next season. This regime is absolutely INSANE.

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 09:07 PM
All the players were took are good football players. I'm still pretty iffy about McBath, but for the most part you couldn't find anyone that disagreed with the quality of players we took. I like that we got tough, smart playmakers that play on special teams. So far quality of the picks, an A.

For the cost, we overpaid horribly. A first next year for a second round guy is too much. I don't care if they rated him as a first round corner. A first round in a crappy draft shouldn't make you mortgage your future. He's small and was supposed to fall to the second. I THINK HE CAN BALL, but we way overpaid. I think we reached a bit on McBath too. The team said they would rather go for what they believe was a slam dunk than wait and get someone that may or may not work out and so they traded both 3's for Quinn. For what they paid, I gave a D.

So I averaged the two and gave them a C. The Bolts were going to take Moreno at 16, so I don't mind us taking him early knowing he wouldn't last. He was the best RB in the draft and perfect for a 3 WR defense or single back 2 TE. Ayers was great value at 18 and his versatility will be a boon to this defense as we slowly try to add guys that can play a lot of different ways.

Smith can ball, but was expensive. McBath is not someone I expected to go that high, but I like that he generates turnovers. Ed Donatell's secondary's generate turnovers everywhere they go and both DB's play toward that. Also both play special teams.

The tight end is probably the true second best TE in the draft. He's tough and physical and with Scheffler on his way out he'll make us a nastier team.

So I like all the picks. I know what some are going to say.

Why didn't we take more defenders?

Because we didn't reach for need. I like this and while most of you are wringing your hands with how crappy this draft is, the fact is they took the best players they thought were available. Now I agree we could have taken Ron Brace, and I would have liked to take him instead of Smith, so we'll have to see. But if all the players work out, it won't matter.

But our defense is the only thing that was bad and our offense was perfect!

No, it wasn't. After we beat up on some crappy defenses, our offense finished 24th in scoring. Our offense needed more help than people want to admit. Lombardi was talking on NFL Network and he said that in a 3-wide offense, so much is keyed on having a good running back that can play three downs and make plays in pass pro and the receiving game. That back is Moreno.

But we needed D-line help and we got none!

This is a fair criticism. The only explanation is they didn't value the defensive linemen in this draft as highly as the other positions we took. YOU DON'T REACH FOR NEED!!!! That's how epic fail drafts occur. This was one of the worst drafts for d-linemen in quite some time. Taking one just because you need it, whether you like the guy or not, is stupid.

So C draft. Good players. Went BPA so that's good, but overpaid.

watermock
04-25-2009, 09:08 PM
D.

Could of had Shoone Green later instead of Noknow. instead we get another blocking TE?

chex
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh my, McDaniels is so perfect how dare you heathens question him. He knows what best for this team and all you haters just go away. Every pick will be hall of famers and we will win the superbowl next year. It matters not what you think, the coach is perfect and everything will be according to his plan.

Right. We should just listen to you and the other chronic whiners that we're screwed and won't win 5 games as long as McDaniels is coach. Funny how you criticize people for being positive, or at least trying to be positive anyway. Sounds like you're the one criticizing others with a difference of opinion.

Dukes
04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
1st round= A-

I love the selection of Knowshon--I honestly believe that he will be a superstar in this league for years to come--hands, elusiveness, vision--he is going to be dynamic in the spread offense

Ayers--Is he going to be an OLB or a DE? He is to small to play DE in a typical 3-4 and may not have the skills to drop into coverage---this is why I gave the 1st round an A-.

2nd round--absolute COLLOSSAL FAILURE.

trading OUR OWN #1 next year for a 2nd this year--and then we take a CB??!?!?!?!?!?! **** THAT. We gave Seattle a top 10 choice next year for a nickelback..nice move MCDOUCHE.

Darcel WHO?????? a 198 lb safety? I am about to gag...........William Moore was still on the board MCDOUCHE.

We trade BOTH OF OUR THIRD ROUND PICKS to draft a BLOCKING TE????? This reeks of a team who is so focused on a finite # of players and who are SCARED TO DEATH that another team may take one of them before they get to draft that they are willing to do anything to get those players.........a BLOCKING TE???? This 2nd round is ABYSMAL!!!!!!

GRADE for the 2nd round--A BIG MOTHER****ING 'F'

Agree 100%. The entire 2nd round reeks of Xanders and McD panicking. I could have lived with it if they would have traded Chicago's 1st, not ours. And the Quinn trade just boggles my mind.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Good stuff Khan ... agreed.

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 09:23 PM
The good news is we got 5 players on day one that should be good players for 10 years (plus a fourth round pick). The bad news is we didn't get them cheap and there was potentially good DL/OLB guys that we passed on. That would make it a C.

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM

i remember Beathard. He did the trade next years thing about five times. But this Al Smith CB sounds like a very skiillful CB, not a bum.

Atlas
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I give an A for the first two picks, an F for the rest of the draft.

WHy Did Denver spend $42 million on FA RBs? They should just have kept Pittman and Pope and Drafted Knowshown.

It just seems this whole offseason has been one long cluster****

lostknight
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
The first round is a A, until you realize that we probably could have paired the 18th with our first next year, and snuck up a couple and gotten BJ Raji before the Packers.

The second round is a D until you realize that we could have used the traded second for Ron Brace, and that we just traded both of our thirds for a TE that never catches. That pushes pretty firmly into the Fail at first glance.

Gcver2ver3
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
the people griping about us trading our two 3rd rounders need to get over it...

this draft is not that good and not that deep...very little impact players for day 2...so if McD thinks he can get somebody worth a darn in the 2nd round with our late 3rd rounders then by all means...

i only have two gripes about our draft...

1. trading next years 1st for Smith...Smith can play but boy that is awful expensive amount to pay for a 5"9 corner...we'll see...

2. uh...D-line please?....i think we'll be fine at 3-4 end...you don't need playmakers at 3-4 ends, just space eaters (KC is crazy for taking a nonplaymaker at #3)...but we desparately need a nose...no BJ or Brace?...who plays nose for us?...

as for the 1st round = awesome....

this is the first time since i've been a Bronco fan that i saw us draft the top rated RB in the draft...

Knowshon Moreno = Thurman Thomas...

Ayers is a stud...he can play run and the pass...he can play down or standing up...instant impact player IMO...

Broncojef
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Man I went out to Home Depot thinking we were done. I was really hoping for that Brinkley kid as an inside LB if we didn't get Maualuga...with no 3rd rounders I guess that hope is shot as well huh? Do you guys see us trading Scheffler now that we picked up Quinn?

ColoradoDarin
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
I voted for 5 years, but...

We picked up:

Best RB
Best DE (perhaps best defensive player)
Best Intercepting CB
Best Intercepting safety
Best blocking TE

Not bad at all.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
A big fat "F".

We go into this draft with 10 picks but that wasn't enough so we had to throw away our #1 in next year's stonger draft for a guy described as a nickel corner who might have been there at 48 anyway...if we wanted a CB why not just take Jenkins at #12? Instead we draft a luxury runner when pass rushers were sitting there for the taking, take another guy in the 1st whose to small to play DE in the 3-4 and to slow to play OLB. Three #2 picks and yet there's NOTHING for the front 7 on D? Think about that...we had 5 picks in the first two rounds and ONE front 7 player for the defense, and he's a guy I don't think will even start.

I'm sure that blocking TE sitting on the bench next year will help a lot.

This draft sucked big time...absolutely awful.

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
All the players were took are good football players. I'm still pretty iffy about McBath, but for the most part you couldn't find anyone that disagreed with the quality of players we took. I like that we got tough, smart playmakers that play on special teams. So far quality of the picks, an A.

For the cost, we overpaid horribly. A first next year for a second round guy is too much. I don't care if they rated him as a first round corner. A first round in a crappy draft shouldn't make you mortgage your future. He's small and was supposed to fall to the second. I THINK HE CAN BALL, but we way overpaid. I think we reached a bit on McBath too. The team said they would rather go for what they believe was a slam dunk than wait and get someone that may or may not work out and so they traded both 3's for Quinn. For what they paid, I gave a D.

So I averaged the two and gave them a C. The Bolts were going to take Moreno at 16, so I don't mind us taking him early knowing he wouldn't last. He was the best RB in the draft and perfect for a 3 WR defense or single back 2 TE. Ayers was great value at 18 and his versatility will be a boon to this defense as we slowly try to add guys that can play a lot of different ways.

Smith can ball, but was expensive. McBath is not someone I expected to go that high, but I like that he generates turnovers. Ed Donatell's secondary's generate turnovers everywhere they go and both DB's play toward that. Also both play special teams.

The tight end is probably the true second best TE in the draft. He's tough and physical and with Scheffler on his way out he'll make us a nastier team.

So I like all the picks. I know what some are going to say.

Why didn't we take more defenders?

Because we didn't reach for need. I like this and while most of you are wringing your hands with how crappy this draft is, the fact is they took the best players they thought were available. Now I agree we could have taken Ron Brace, and I would have liked to take him instead of Smith, so we'll have to see. But if all the players work out, it won't matter.

But our defense is the only thing that was bad and our offense was perfect!

No, it wasn't. After we beat up on some crappy defenses, our offense finished 24th in scoring. Our offense needed more help than people want to admit. Lombardi was talking on NFL Network and he said that in a 3-wide offense, so much is keyed on having a good running back that can play three downs and make plays in pass pro and the receiving game. That back is Moreno.

But we needed D-line help and we got none!

This is a fair criticism. The only explanation is they didn't value the defensive linemen in this draft as highly as the other positions we took. YOU DON'T REACH FOR NEED!!!! That's how epic fail drafts occur. This was one of the worst drafts for d-linemen in quite some time. Taking one just because you need it, whether you like the guy or not, is stupid.

So C draft. Good players. Went BPA so that's good, but overpaid.

I thought the C grade also. i could have went with the ask me in five years option, but it should have been ask me in 2 years. 2 years will tell how good or bad the first day was. And there is still tomorrow. But minus 2 third rounders, but plus a fourth rounder. I think there are still 6 picks we have tomorrow.

montrose
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I was going to type a detailed list but Kahn hit most of my major points. While I've never been a fan of going RB in the 1st, I'm really excited to see Moreno play and Mayock's touting of Ayers is enough for me. I hear nothing but good things about Smith but I'm in the boat of not liking the dealing of that 2010 1st round pick although I wouldn't doubt financial considerations played in. I know literally nothing about McBath but it seems like a reach. Quinn seems like a logical fit in this system and I expect Scheffler to be moved tomorrow for a 3rd round pick.

I've got no problems at all with the 1st round. In the 2nd, I would've preferred not to make any moves and at #48 to select Sean Smith, Sen'Derrick Marks or Jarron Gilbert. We would've kept all of our picks and could've nabbed a TE tomorrow. Oh well, I do think the players we picked up seem to be really good fits - it's just a question of value at this point. I think Scheffler has to be moved for a 3rd tomorrow to recoup the value for making the Quinn trade.

titan
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Moreno - A - I like this pick. I was hoping for a Raji/Moreno combo in the 1st round (with Moreno picked 18th) but with Raji gone I was OK with taking Moreno at #12. Solid all around back that only lacks size and top end speed. Speed is overrated in running backs, IMO (Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Floyd Little and others didn't have stop watch speed). I like that Moreno is a good blocker, too, and with his pass catching he can be a 3 down back.

Ayers B+ I am excited to see what Ayers does with good coaching - seems to have his best football in front of him. Mayock says he could be the best defensive player from this draft in 3 years - obviously if Mayock is right this is a great pick.

Smith B+ talent, E for price - After seeing Shanahan blow so many picks on the secondary I'm open for a new approach. I like productive college players who slip in the draft because of being undersized. Smith's like that and I think can be a solid pro. Like everyone else I HATE giving up next year's #1 for him. Wonder if the Broncos know something about Cutler in gambling their own #1 pick instead of dealing the Bears'. With the Broncos difficult 2009 schedule, regardless of how good Smith looks, this was an extremely risky move. I hope it wasn't money motivated (Bowlen was in the draft room this year unlike in the Shanahan years)

McBath B- probably the player I am least excited about of the 5 taken on day one. I watched a number of texas tech games in the past couple of years and just don't remember McBath being an impact player.

Richard Quinn B+ talent, D price - at first when I heard this pick I said "huh?" But thinking about it more it makes sense. Graham I think is an "old" 30 and may not have that many years left. Sheffler is a totally different type of player and I think Tony can still complement a Graham/Quinn tight end combo. Quinn is a great blocking tight end who can catch according to the broncos - just wasn't thrown to much. Last year Eddie Royal was undervalued because he didn't have alot of catches in college. Quinn may turn out OK. Giving up 2 #3's is a high price just to move up some (and I know we get a late #4 back too)

Overall: Talent: B+ Execution: C- (because of the 2 trades)

McDaniels in his press conference tonight said the Broncos draft board was getting sparse so thus the need to trade up and get Quinn. How are they going to manage 6 picks on Sunday?

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Man I went out to Home Depot thinking we were done. I was really hoping for that Brinkley kid as an inside LB if we didn't get Maualuga...with no 3rd rounders I guess that hope is shot as well huh? Do you guys see us trading Scheffler now that we picked up Quinn?

Does any team want Tony S? It appears that he is redundant with getting Quinn (who I don't know anything about). McD must have some sort of plan after trading 79 and 84 for Quinn and a fourth this year.

Mecklomaniac
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I gave it an F only because WTF was not an option.....

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College
Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Knowshon Moreno RB 5'11" 217 Georgia
Pretty good player... but not a need.

Round 1, Pick 18 (18) (From Bears) Robert Ayers LB 6'3" 272
Exciting player but not a real fit for 3-4 DE. Another project like Elvis, Moss, etc, to make the player fit the system. Can't really fault McD on this, as there really weren't any really good 3-4 linemen available. BPA even though he may not fit the system.

Round 2, Pick 5 (37) (From Seahawks) Alphonso Smith CB 5'9" 193 Wake Forest
W-T-F..... Gave up our first pick next year (probably top 10 pick) for someone who was a reach in the top of this years 2nd round..... Is nickle CB the biggest need???

Round 2, Pick 16 (48) Darcel McBath CB 6'0" 198 Texas Tech
Yes the secondary is getting older, but this pick sucks..

Round 2, Pick 32 (64) (From Steelers) Richard Quinn TE 6'4" 264 North Carolina
Traded both 3rds away for a reach that likely would have been available with either of the 3rds. Is TE a position of need??? Can he be converted to yet another smallish DE?? I know McD and the Patriot way is for TEs to be blockers, not recievers, but we do have Graham on the roster.

Stocking up on RBs, TEs, and CBs. Yep that was what the Broncos needed. Oh well maybe the geniuses in the FO can work a trade to dump some of the many veteran RBs and TEs on the roster. How about Scheffler for a 6th rounder in next years draft...

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I give it an F, but my criteria is not so complex as many on the board. The greatest weakness on this team, and its achilles heel, is its inability to stop the run. That is the most basic fundamental of football. You must be able to run, but first you must be able to stop the run. Nothing done today will help stop the run. So, fail. The fact that we traded a first and two thirds to accomplish this fail translates to uber fail. But I agree it will fun to watch Moreno. I look forward to it.

cabronco
04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Draft was bull****. What's this crap about not being able to pay players or draft picks? How do you build your team? Washed out vet FA's?

This team is sinking fast. The worst part about it? We won't even be able to reap the benefits of a very high draft pick next season. This regime is absolutely INSANE.

I thought for sure , McD would keep the high draft pick for next year to ensure getting one of the top tier Qb's. He will prolly burn half the picks to get the least projected Qb if he even does go QB next year. This guy baffles me. McTweek was all across the draft board today picking up small corners that Qb's like Rivers will toss up to his taller receivers. WoW

KCStud
04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
C-

Moreno is a good pick, but you are stacked with quality RB's. You could have gotten a good RB like McCoy or Greene later on.

Ayers was a decent pick with low sack totals. Nolan better have him playing OLB because he is too small to hold up against the run at DE.

You trade your first round pick (which will most likely be top 15) for a 5'9" 185 lb CB that is a huge liability against the run.
McBeth was ok.
To top it off you trade BOTH 3rd round picks to move up and grab the 5th best TE prospect who caught 8 balls last year.

McDip**** really doesn't know what he's doing does he?

watermock
04-26-2009, 01:23 AM
And to think we were a healthy RB and 10 picks for D from contending....plus FA, we got crap for 'FA.

Worn out cuts? We had them, the only thing worse is how so few of our FA's were even picked up, besideds Foxy,, who was better than percieved.

We signed a bunch of crap in FA, and wasted 2 draft classes on crap.

A 3/4 NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO STAND UP THE LINE.

We got ZERO.

Bronco X
04-26-2009, 01:37 AM
You gotta wait five years to evaluate the players. But in terms of addressing needs and their strategy, I'll be shocked if it doesn't seem as ridiculous in five years as it seems today. All this absurd maneuvering and only getting a single player that addresses the teams biggest hole? A capable defensive front seven is going to have to be miraculously manifested from the will of the coaches in order for the team to be successful next season, and if they're not successful it'll finalize the absurdity of trading next year's first...

snowspot66
04-26-2009, 01:46 AM
You gotta wait five years to evaluate the players. But in terms of addressing needs and their strategy, I'll be shocked if it doesn't seem as ridiculous in five years as it seems today. All this absurd maneuvering and only getting a single player that addresses the teams biggest hole? A capable defensive front seven is going to have to be miraculously manifested from the will of the coaches in order for the team to be successful next season, and if they're not successful it'll finalize the absurdity of trading next year's first...

And where were they supposed to get this capable defensive front?

We got the guy Mayock and others think could be the best in this draft.

All the other top defensive linemen?

Jackson was long gone.
Raji went before us. We could have traded up to get him but there are SERIOUS questions as to if he can handle DT in a 3-4. I'm in the "no he can't" camp.
Brown dropped to the second round if I remember right. So much for us taking him at 18 like a batch of mocks had.

The talent wasn't there this year. The coaches obviously felt they could improve the team more significantly by addressing other positions of need with players that with the exception of Ayers have produced their entire careers. The days of the Shanahan pick six are over and thank God for that. If we want to get talent on this team we can't do it by firing a shotgun at one position and hoping somebody sticks. That's how teams like the Lions operate and the results are obvious. We need quality football players and I don't give a damn what position they play. As long as they can play I'm happy. The defensive line is a work in progress and no amount of picks used on it would have changed that fact.

SoDak Bronco
04-26-2009, 01:51 AM
terrible

SoDak Bronco
04-26-2009, 01:52 AM
trading next years #1 for a nickle corner is unreal

Atlas
04-26-2009, 02:01 AM
trading next years (HIGH)#1 for a nickle corner is unreal

It's kinda like, "That didn't really happen did it?"

TDmvp
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2222/throwbackf.jpg

broncocalijohn
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
Seems our coach and FO love to trade picks just to stay busy. I dont understand trading our #1 pick next year for a 2nd round pick this year. Was it that important to get this move in now? I think McDaniels and FO (including Pat Bowlen) are thinking one thing and that #1 pick will almost be a #2 round pick if you know what i mean. I gave a C in the poll but my feelings are not complete until i see what we do this season and what happens with that pick in 2010.

watermock
04-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Bowlen didn't want 2 #1's with Shannys salary and others piled on.

Bowlen sees enough to check out,.

I bet he tries to sell soon, but the franchise has been damaged for at least 400M.

GeniusatWork
04-26-2009, 02:49 AM

I think I've said five times already and others have said the same that we took care of most of the D front seven problems in free agents and already had some good front seven players. DJ, Larsen, Petersen, Andra Davis, Woodyard, Thomas, Reid, Fields, Moss, Doom, Powell, Crowder. Not an allstar front seven, but the additions of Davis and Ayeers gets them close with DJ and Larsen and Woodyard. Moss/Crowder can hold one of the DE positins. Not much on pass rush, but holds the point of attack well. Doom can beat RT's all day long, Ayers will have to contribute. Dawkins has two years left in him as a run stuffer, excellent open field tackler.

We added some playmakers in the secondary to complement the tacklers, I don't see a problem.

watermock
04-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Not much on pass rush, but holds the point of attack well. Doom can beat RT's all day long, Ayers will have to contribute. Dawkins has two years left in him as a run stuffer, excellent open field tackler.

Do you reALLY BELIEVE THIS CRAP?

JJJ
04-26-2009, 04:03 AM
From an outsiders perspective at least 3 of the 5 picks should have been on defenisive front 7 to have any shot of filling your needs. The one you got is a good one. But you had 5 shots at shoring up the defense. You don't solve your problems with corners and safteties, sorry. You need fatboys and hitters.

Elsewhere I can't argue you don't need a running back and you got the best one in the draft but giving away a number one for a corner is Beathard-like as someone mentioned earlier.

Wrap it all up an it is a C- grade.

rmsanger
04-26-2009, 06:04 AM
All Aboard

http://www.detroittailgate.com/Features/Photos/DaBearsBus.jpg

I hate this draft, I hate Bowlen, and I hate McDaniels. They have ripped one of my favorite things in life away from me. They can die in a fire for all I care.

bronco_diesel
04-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Stills.

Go Hokies

i could buy that, but you can do so much better in value

~Crash~
04-26-2009, 08:52 AM

you are to nice ....

~Crash~
04-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Jackson was long gone.
Raji went before us. We could have traded up to get him but there are SERIOUS questions as to if he can handle DT in a 3-4. I'm in the "no he can't" camp.
Brown dropped to the second round if I remember right. So much for us taking him at 18 like a batch of mocks had.

The talent wasn't there this year. The coaches obviously felt they could improve the team more significantly by addressing other positions of need with players that with the exception of Ayers have produced their entire careers. The days of the Shanahan pick six are over and thank God for that. If we want to get talent on this team we can't do it by firing a shotgun at one position and hoping somebody sticks. That's how teams like the Lions operate and the results are obvious. We need quality football players and I don't give a damn what position they play. As long as they can play I'm happy. The defensive line is a work in progress and no amount of picks used on it would have changed that fact.

and next years draft ?

Bronco X
04-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Jackson was long gone.

You're missing the point... it's not that they drafted the players they did. It's the moves they made to get into position to draft the players. Trading next years first for a CB? Trading two thirds to move up in the third to draft a blocking TE? It's absurd even if they turn out to be good players.

SoCalBronco
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I hate this draft, I hate Bowlen, and I hate McDaniels. They have ripped one of my favorite things in life away from me. They can die in a fire for all I care.

I feel your pain, bro. Hang tough, though. Things will get better eventually. Probably not during the time this regime is in charge, but it will turn around. The NFL is a rollercoaster and eventually our Denver Broncos WILL once again be a powerhouse. Just keep your head up. I totally understand your frustration, though. These guys have done alot of damage in such a little time.

SouthStndJunkie
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I give us a solid 'D'.

Not so much because of the players, but because of trading all of our picks.

Bronco X
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I think I've said five times already and others have said the same that we took care of most of the D front seven problems in free agents and already had some good front seven players. DJ, Larsen, Petersen, Andra Davis, Woodyard, Thomas, Reid, Fields, Moss, Doom, Powell, Crowder. Not an allstar front seven, but the additions of Davis and Ayeers gets them close with DJ and Larsen and Woodyard. Moss/Crowder can hold one of the DE positins. Not much on pass rush, but holds the point of attack well. Doom can beat RT's all day long, Ayers will have to contribute. Dawkins has two years left in him as a run stuffer, excellent open field tackler.

We added some playmakers in the secondary to complement the tacklers, I don't see a problem.

I'm not buying it. I wish I had as much faith in the likes of Petersen, Moss, Crowder, etc. There's one real good player in your entire list, and the rest are average or unproven. I hope you're right, and will gladly admit it if this group produces when the season comes around, but I'm not holding my breath.

chex
04-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I feel your pain, bro. Hang tough, though. Things will get better eventually. Probably not during the time this regime is in charge, but it will turn around. The NFL is a rollercoaster and eventually our Denver Broncos WILL once again be a powerhouse. Just keep your head up. I totally understand your frustration, though. These guys have done alot of damage in such a little time.

We haven't been a powerhouse in 10 years, WTF are you talking about? Going by your post, you should be thrilled then that Shanahan is gone.

footstepsfrom#27
04-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks Josh.

SoCalBronco
04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
We haven't been a powerhouse in 10 years, WTF are you talking about? Going by your post, you should be thrilled then that Shanahan is gone.

We were in the AFCCG in 2005 and were in the playoffs most of the time before that.

Nice try, though.

I know people complained about .500 football recently and that was a fair complaint, but I don't think people have felt what real losing is for a long time. Buckle up.

chex
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM
We were in the AFCCG in 2005 and were in the playoffs most of the time before that.

Nice try, though.

I know people complained about .500 football recently and that was a fair complaint, but I don't think people have felt what real losing is for a long time. Buckle up.

You mean the Plummer years? If we were a powerhouse, then why did we break up that team?

SoCalBronco
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
You mean the Plummer years? If we were a powerhouse, then why did we break up that team?

We didn't break up the team. Al got hurt, that was out of our control. D-Will died. That was out of our control. Plummer showed that while he was a cagey veteran, he had real limitations and that he took us as far as we could go that year. We had an oppurtunity to get a franchise talent and we took it. We rebuilt the WR and TE corps which needed work, due to age and other issues. The OL also needed to be rebuilt as it was decaying due to age and we were able to do that. There is also going to be rough periods in the interim when you are reloading it. There are transition costs. Unfortunately, what happened was that the defense fell off faster and harder than we dreamed of (some of it was out of our control as noted above, but to be fair, some of it was due to our own mistakes: letting go of Coyer and Warren, and failing to make a bigger impact with our 3 high defensive picks in 2007).

chex
04-26-2009, 09:25 AM
We didn't break up the team. Al got hurt, that was out of our control. D-Will died. That was out of our control. Plummer showed that while he was a cagey veteran, he had real limitations and that he took us as far as we could go that year. We had an oppurtunity to get a franchise talent and we took it. We rebuilt the WR and TE corps which needed work, due to age and other issues. The OL also needed to be rebuilt as it was decaying due to age and we were able to do that. There is also going to be rough periods in the interim when you are reloading it. There are transition costs. Unfortunately, what happened was that the defense fell off faster and harder than we dreamed of (some of it was out of our control as noted above, but to be fair, some of it was due to our own mistakes: letting go of Coyer and Warren, and failing to make a bigger impact with our 3 high defensive picks in 2007).

So we were a powerhouse team that needed the WR, TE, and OL corps to be rebuilt, our defense fell off a cliff, and then we drafted horribly? All mentioned by you in this post. I can't recall powerhouse teams falling apart so quickly, and if thats the case, then we have as good a shot as anyone this year since the same thing can happen to the Steelers.

MOCRUSH
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM

I just got used to the rollercoaster bottoming out at 8-8, now these insane clowns have opened up new vistas of fail....time to cancel the Sunday Ticket, Craig's List the orange toys and focus on fishing. Call me when the nightmare ends.

broncocalijohn
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Bowlen didn't want 2 #1's with Shannys salary and others piled on.

Bowlen sees enough to check out,.

I bet he tries to sell soon, but the franchise has been damaged for at least 400M.

You arent too bright post PB days. We get conspiracy theories now from you and we get some crazy number of 400 million dollars lost for Bowlen. How much do you think this team is worth to take 400 million off of its worth? If the team was even close to 1 billion (which it isnt), you made it a 600 million dollar team. Whatever the number, take 400 million off and I will find those investors in a day. Stick with things you dont know like the 9/11 conspiracies.