PDA

View Full Version : McD comments about first round - video

mwill07
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
link (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=2482)

some notes:
======================================
Moreno - earmarked from the start, good hands, pass protection, can play on three downs. Lots of emphasis on pass protection and catches ball well. (FF guys: take note for PPR leagues, Moreno will be heavily involved in the passing game).

Ayers - tough, smart, versatile, high character, one of highest rated guys on the board from beginning, targeted player all along.

Goal - get both Moreno and Ayers, took Moreno first because didn't think he would be there in 2nd.

not interested in freeman - when TB jumped up to take Freeman, McD speculated that some other team was talking to Cleveland

took calls from teams to move back to 12 (i.e. Den to trade up) and from teams to move up to 18 (i.e. Den to trade down); not interested; Moreno and Ayers were targets all along.

lazarus4444
04-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Good, i'm glad he got who he wanted. I'm excited about these two players for sure.

lex
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I like how they emphasize everything besides actually running the football. LOL.

barryr
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I do believe they took the BPA they felt were at those picks. Only time will tell if the picks were correct or not.

What I like about all the picks today is a common theme: talented, tough players who play hard

The Broncos have lacked toughness, especially on defense, for awhile now, not to mention guys that can make plays on defense.

Killericon
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I've been pondering just how confusing this draft has been, and it reminds me of the way the Patriots draft...

Popps
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Yea, like these picks or not... it's pretty obvious that they were laser-focused on these kids. These don't look like guys that just fell to them, with the possible exception of Ayers, who could have gone a bit earlier .

scttgrd
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
It looks like a mess, keep sucking down the kool-aid.

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll take the time to post in this thread of how appreciative I am of everyone here at the Mane. Those BroncosCountry retards are making my head hurt.

broncosteven
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I am glad they got their targets and are not settling for players they didn't want.

I felt an RB coming after the Cutler trade. Figured they would want to land a 1st round RB to help out our avg, at best, QB(s).

Lots of dump offs coming knowwhat's way. With 2 1st round picks I figured they would go for a skill player on O and get DL.

I am glad they got DL/LB help and that they did not waste a 1st day pick on a QB.

I am confused with the CB picks, I guess one is a Safety?

Hope there is more DL talent tomorrow and we land a FG kicker late.

Stay away from WR's and RB's day 2 please. Focus on D and maybe a guard for Depth the rest of the way.

HAT
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
The Broncos have lacked toughness, especially on defense, for awhile now, not to mention guys that can make plays on defense.

It's going to be nice to watch real 3 phase football again instead of those fantasy football softies Stale-ahan has been trotting out there for the last few years. :thumbs:

Anaximines
04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I know that McDaniels kept saying that those were the two that we had targeted all along, from the start. But then near the end of the video, he says something like "once the draft started to unfold the way that it did, from the 10th or 11th picks onward, that's when we knew that these were the two guys that we wanted to take"

What was up with that? Did anyone else notice that line?

barryr
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I know that McDaniels kept saying that those were the two that we had targeted all along, from the start. But then near the end of the video, he says something like "once the draft started to unfold the way that it did, from the 10th or 11th picks onward, that's when we knew that these were the two guys that we wanted to take"

What was up with that? Did anyone else notice that line?

Obviously they took the guys they wanted if the draft went pretty much the way it did. Sure, I'm betting there were a few guys that went in the top 10 that they may have taken if had dropped to 12. But they didn't, so took who they liked and figured would be there with their picks.

nickademus
04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I really dont mind our first round I have been on the moreno bandwagon for a while and since jackson and raji were gone it made sense. not as sure about ayers but in that spot I didnt really see a problem with it. IMHO we completly fubared the second and I hate the trade for our new nickel CB. while I agree that we needed some depth at CB we could have gotten that done without giving up our highest first round pick next year.