PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers = Justin Smith, Nolan's Joker

chickennob2
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I believe it was Montrose who posted some solid analysis of Nolan's defense and talked frequently about his use of Justin Smith as a "joker" who moved around all over the defense to rush the passer. Similar build, similar skillset. I think this was the thought process.

lostknight
04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I like the pick (as you can probably see from my adopt-a-bronco). I think he is the right fit for the scheme.

LonghornBronco
04-25-2009, 04:07 PM
I personally think they are pegging Elvis as the Joker and Ayers will play DE opposite Markus Thomas, I like the pick by the way.

Dudeskey
04-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I personally think they are pegging Elvis as the Joker and Ayers will play DE opposite Markus Thomas, I like the pick by the way.

too small to be a 3-4 DE. He'll be a tweener where Nolan could run a 3-4 with him @ OLB or a 4-3 formation w/ his hand in the dirt @ DE. Like the pick though.

Edit: Here's another thought- maybe 2 jokers (Ayers & Doom) for Nolan, eh?..

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Ayers at 18 is great value and addresses a need. Very well done! 8')

barryr
04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't think Ayers can play the DE in a 3-4 all the time. In fact, if they just keep him as a DE in a 3-4 and that's it, I don't see Ayers being anything that great. He simply isn't big enough to play exclusively the DE in a 3-4.

I think as some others have suggested, the Broncos will mix their defenses up and Ayers will move around. I believe that's what they should do at least.

halfcreek
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Ayers at 18 is great value and addresses a need. Very well done! 8')

True. I think that the Chargers would have grabbed Moreno at 16, so I think that McDaniels played this nicely.

TennBronco
04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Ayers has an unbelievable motor and one of the strongest players I've seen...put a few pounds on him and he'll fit in the DE spot in a 3-4 nicely.

Popps
04-25-2009, 06:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAR9Qb3liRs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAR9Qb3liRs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TennBronco
04-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Don't worry about the one-year-wonder tag Ayers has been recieving. As bad as our offense was this past season, he got plenty of experience. So much so, that he burned his sixth year of eligibility.

elsid13
04-26-2009, 04:41 AM
I believe it was Montrose who posted some solid analysis of Nolan's defense and talked frequently about his use of Justin Smith as a "joker" who moved around all over the defense to rush the passer. Similar build, similar skillset. I think this was the thought process.

First of all Justin Smith wasn't the Joker role for SF. He played the majority of time at DE. Second Smith is 285/290, while Ayers is 265/270 and will most like play with hand off the ground. IF we are lucky in two to three years we have a player like Thomas from the NE Patriots. Ayers has experience moving around and playing in multiply spots in front seven, but will need to work on his technique and learn to place in space against TE and RB in the NFL.

It not a bad pick but it not going to be a player that immediately is penciled in to start on day one.

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Watching him pick off Stafford was fun.

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 06:47 AM
First of all Justin Smith wasn't the Joker role for SF. He played the majority of time at DE. Second Smith is 285/290, while Ayers is 265/270 and will most like play with hand off the ground. IF we are lucky in two to three years we have a player like Thomas from the NE Patriots. Ayers has experience moving around and playing in multiply spots in front seven, but will need to work on his technique and learn to place in space against TE and RB in the NFL.

It not a bad pick but it not going to be a player that immediately is penciled in to start on day one.

Justin Smith was 267 when he was drafted.

Broncomutt
04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Watching him pick off Stafford was fun.

Yah, and I think there was a clip of him drilling Moreno in the backfield. That was cool. I like how they both popped right back up.

Are they competitors? I have hope.

elsid13
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Justin Smith was 267 when he was drafted.

But by the time he went to SF as FA, five years later he was 285 pounds.

TDmvp
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Comparing Ayers to a Bengal doesn't help confidence.

521 1N5
04-26-2009, 03:23 PM
This was a great pick- I love it!

chrisp
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Check out the videos on nfl.com - Mike Mayock makes a statement (from before the draft) that he thinks in three years time he's going to be seen as the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!!

No there's no law that says you have to believe everything Mayock says...but you better be sure you know your effin' onions if you're going to disagree with him....

I like the pick....

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I like the pick. He says Coach Martindale called him personally, so he's going to be a LB.

Fun Fact: He was on Tennessee's 4x100m relay team.

chaz
04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Check out the videos on nfl.com - Mike Mayock makes a statement (from before the draft) that he thinks in three years time he's going to be seen as the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!!

No there's no law that says you have to believe everything Mayock says...but you better be sure you know your effin' onions if you're going to disagree with him....

I like the pick....

And Mayock also had Moreno as the second best offensive player in the draft behind Monroe...we got two of Mayock's top 3 in the entire draft.

Jens1893
04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Anyone remember how it turned out the last time we drafted a guy to play a specific role in our DCs system?

Hint: Jason Taylor, Jim Bates

Not a knock on Ayers, just think its a bit stupid to compare him to other players who played a specific role for Nolan.

Elway777
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I really don't see how Ayers fits into the 3-4. I think he is to slow to cover plus not good pass rusher for 3-4 outside linebacker. I don't think he has the size to play 5 tech defensive end. I hate to see what NFL offensives do running the ball against Denver with Ayers at De and Dumervil at linebacker on Denvers right side of the line. I Ayers tested out as one of the worst de at the combine. I think he ran somethink like 4.93 and only did 18 reps at 225.He also had a bad verticle compared to other De. I think Ayers is perfect for 4-3 LDe but not for the 3-4.

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I really don't see how Ayers fits into the 3-4. I think he is to slow to cover plus not good pass rusher for 3-4 outside linebacker. I don't think he has the size to play 5 tech defensive end. I hate to see what NFL offensives do running the ball against Denver with Ayers at De and Dumervil at linebacker on Denvers right side of the line. I Ayers tested out as one of the worst de at the combine. I think he ran somethink like 4.93 and only did 18 reps at 225.He also had a bad verticle compared to other De. I think Ayers is perfect for 4-3 LDe but not for the 3-4.

Please don't be ignorant. He'll b e a great fit at SOLB. And he's on Tennessee's 4x100m relay, so speed isn't an issue. He ran a 4.9 at the combine but is a 4.7 guy. He's incredibly versatile.

Vegas_Bronco
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I LOVE THIS PICK!

Finally someone who WANTS the QB on every play.

Malcontent
04-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I like the pick. He says Coach Martindale called him personally, so he's going to be a LB.

Fun Fact: He was on Tennessee's 4x100m relay team.

They must not have any 180lb burners at Tennessee....A 270lb sprinter?? ROFL!

socalorado
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Please don't be ignorant. He'll b e a great fit at SOLB. And he's on Tennessee's 4x100m relay, so speed isn't an issue. He ran a 4.9 at the combine but is a 4.7 guy. He's incredibly versatile.

WINNER! WINNER! WE HAVE A WINNER!

This guy is gonna be all over the place, roaming and making plays.

Elway777
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
WINNER! WINNER! WE HAVE A WINNER!

This guy is gonna be all over the place, roaming and making plays. I hope your right

Finger Roll
04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
he looks very fit for a 270-275 pound player. I bet he could pack on another 15 pounds and play at a high level

Elway777
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
It does said like Bs having 270 pound spinter that that ran a 4.93 at the combine.

socalorado
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I hope your right

Terrell Suggs is 6-3 260
Adalius Thomas 6-2 270
Either way, DEN just solved a HUGE problem
Nolan will have no problem with his new toy.

Broncoman13
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Seriously, you guys believe he was a 4x100m sprinter at an SEC powerhouse??? Ha! You guys are such morons some times. One person says he runs a 4.93 (which is bullsh!t). Another person says he run the 4x100m for the Vols (which again is total bullsh!t). The sad thing, some people are stupid enough to believe both as facts and then turn around and spout it.

Robert Ayers is a 4.7 guy. His 10 yard split was poor for a DE let alone a LB. His bench press was poor and his quick twitch testing was poor. I believe he was at 8'6" for the broad jump and 29.5 inches for his vert.

The important thing to remember is that there is a lot that doesn't show in the combine that we can see. How he played in the Sr. Bowl and to close out his Sr. season really helped him. How he's able to diagnose plays really helped him. How he extends his arms and keeps blockers from fully engaging him while also protecting his legs stands out when you watch film on him.

I didn't like the pick at first... still not sure I really like it. I would have loved to have Orakpo at #12 then trade a 3rd to move up just in front of the Chargers to get Moreno. Anyhow, Ayers will grow on us provided he has a good attitude which I believe he will since those are the types McD is after.

Elway777
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Terrell Suggs is 6-3 260
Adalius Thomas 6-2 270
Either way, DEN just solved a HUGE problem
Nolan will have no problem with his new toy. I still have my doubts about Ayers being a good fit for 3-4. Nolan drafted Manny Lawson and he really stucks as a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would of rather had Orakapo.

Malcontent
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I still have my doubts about Ayers being a good fit for 3-4. Nolan drafted Manny Lawson and he really stucks as a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would of rather had Orakapo.

Manny Lawson is a blubberboy in comparison to Ayers, and is at least half the athlete as well...poor comparison, and a bad draft pick by Nolan.

chaz
04-26-2009, 06:59 PM

They must have a ****ty relay, because I go to a DIII school and our 4x100 guys all run sub-4.5 40s

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I still have my doubts about Ayers being a good fit for 3-4. Nolan drafted Manny Lawson and he really stucks as a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would of rather had Orakapo.

Ayers is a much better fit for the 3-4 than Orakpo, IMO.

Inkana7
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Seriously, you guys believe he was a 4x100m sprinter at an SEC powerhouse??? Ha! You guys are such morons some times. One person says he runs a 4.93 (which is bull****). Another person says he run the 4x100m for the Vols (which again is total bull****). The sad thing, some people are stupid enough to believe both as facts and then turn around and spout it.

Robert Ayers is a 4.7 guy. His 10 yard split was poor for a DE let alone a LB. His bench press was poor and his quick twitch testing was poor. I believe he was at 8'6" for the broad jump and 29.5 inches for his vert.

The important thing to remember is that there is a lot that doesn't show in the combine that we can see. How he played in the Sr. Bowl and to close out his Sr. season really helped him. How he's able to diagnose plays really helped him. How he extends his arms and keeps blockers from fully engaging him while also protecting his legs stands out when you watch film on him.

I didn't like the pick at first... still not sure I really like it. I would have loved to have Orakpo at #12 then trade a 3rd to move up just in front of the Chargers to get Moreno. Anyhow, Ayers will grow on us provided he has a good attitude which I believe he will since those are the types McD is after.

It was on the ESPN Draft special last week.

In case that's not enough, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/robert-ayers?id=71193

So, **** you.

Bronco Boy
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM

In case that's not enough, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/robert-ayers?id=71193

So, **** you.

So how ****ty is their track team?

Beantown Bronco
04-26-2009, 07:52 PM

So, **** you.

Not to jump in the middle of this fun exchange....but dude. That part is in his high school profile, not his college profile. He ran high school track.....not big time D1 college track. Big difference.

chickennob2
04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Referenced earlier by Inkana, but,

from: http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8987

'"I was telling my family, 'I think Denver is the team waiting just for me,'" Ayers said. "When I met with (Linebackers) Coach (Don) Martindale (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9615), he pretty much told me I was his guy, but you try to not get your hopes too high. You try to just go along with it, try not to get too high.'

So if the linebackers coach tells him he's his guy, doesn't this indicate Ayers will be playing more at an OLB spot than the 5-tech?

Inkana7
04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Not to jump in the middle of this fun exchange....but dude. That part is in his high school profile, not his college profile. He ran high school track.....not big time D1 college track. Big difference.

You're right. Oh the follies of a quick Google search. But it was on the ESPN draft thing. They said he was on the Vol's track team.