PDA

View Full Version : Ded Mock day 1

Dedhed
04-25-2009, 04:35 AM
#12-Rey Maualuga-I don't get how there are Broncos fans who don't drool over this guy. They lament the loss of Al Wilson, and then bash the bigger, stronger, faster version of him. Maualuga is the most violent defender coming out this year, and offenses will have to account for him on every snap from his first day in the league. There isn't a player who will speed the move to a legitimate 3-4 more than Rey.

If Raji is here, I'd have to consider him, but I don't think there's much chance of that. I'm not a big fan of Jackson; people thinking he's a Richard Seymour type will be hugely disappointed.

#18-Knowshon Moreno- People will whine about this pick because they think we have to spend every selection on improving the defense. My own feeling is that you have to improve both sides of the ball in every draft, otherwise you're losing ground. Moreno is the only offensive guy who I think improves the offensive unit from the first day hes with the team.

His passion for the game and his determination are contagious, and this offense sorely lacked a killer instinct last year. He's got a Ray Lewis kind of effect on his team mates, and I think he'll be one of the few Great football players to come out of this year's class.

I would even consider taking him at #12 in order not to miss out on him, and would value him over Maualuga. There are a dozen guys who would upgrade the defense in rounds 2-7, but Moreno is the only offensive player I want. I take him here because I think he'll last this long because of the recent devaluation of RBs in general. He's a steal here.

#48-I want desperately for Connor Barwin to be here, and if he is, it's a no brainer for me, regardless of the fact that I already took a LB in round 1. I think that Barwin running around in the space provided by Maualuga would be amazing. Barwin is the most versatile and instinctive defender in this draft, but I think he'll be gone in the first few picks of this round. With that in mind I select:

Jarron Gilbert-I think he'll be a better player than Jackson in 2010, but he'll have a longer learning curve as a rookie. He's more likely, imo, to become Richard Seymour than any other DE in this class once he adjusts to the NFL game. He's unbelievably athletic, and shouldn't have any trouble moving to the edge in a 3-4 defense. He's a better pass rusher than Jackson, and holds the point well. He's got a much higher ceiling than Jackson, and could develop into a beast.

Unfortunately for the Broncos there isn't a lot of DL talent in this draft, and our best bet is to develop later round guys picked up on day 2. Gilbert is a bit of a risk/reward player, but he's as talented as any DL in this class.

Day 2 will address the DL depth further, but Day 1 is dedicated to play makers who can change the game.