PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Broncos top priorities are Raji, Jackson and Ayers

montrose
04-25-2009, 03:23 AM
According to Mike Klis of The Denver Post, the Broncos' top priorities in the 1st round today appear to be B.J. Raji, Tyson Jackson and Robert Ayers, in that order.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12222996

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 03:32 AM
just say no to Ayers. i will toss my TV out the window if we pick him

robbieopperude
04-25-2009, 03:53 AM
just say no to Ayers. i will toss my TV out the window if we pick him

I smell smoke.

Cushing at 12 and a complete wild card at 18. Maybe Beanie Wells or maybe a hybrid DE/LB like English, Maybin, the dude from Fl.St..his name slips me at the moment.

bap454
04-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Rey Rey is the only one that matters to me..... no to Cushing. I will puke if he is a Bronco by days end.

Broncoman13
04-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Man, I just hope it's not Ayers. Not seeing too much I like in him at this point. He'd probably be an ideal LDE in a 4-3 but I don't think he fits a 3-4 at'tall

Broncoman13
04-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Ayers' name has been popping up a lot. Would it be a stretch to compare him to a guy like Adalius Thomas? I think so...

Thomas 6'2 270#
Ayers 6'3 272#

Speed:
Thomas 4.56
Ayers 4.77

Production:
Thomas was pretty productive coming out of college but he also was regarded as a player that got by on ability rather than work. He was a late round selection.
Ayers is either a late bloomer or not very motivated to perform at a high level. The bulk of his production coming as a Sr.

Michael Oher referred to him as a beast during the combine saying that he was the most likely defensive player to have immediate success in the NFL.

I don't know. The one thing that scares me about Ayers is his speed and quickness. He had a 1.66 10 yard split which doesn't put him in the LB prime zone of 1.55. Here's the thing, B.J. Raji had a 1.69 10 yard split. That doesn't speak too highly toward Ayers burst or short area explosiveness. For some perspective... Curry 1.50, Cushing 1.53, Mathews Jr. 1.49, Barwin 1.53, and just about every other OLB was in the 1.60 range or better. Now for some of the DEs... Tyson Jackson 1.68, Orakpo 1.56, Brown 1.59, Maybin 1.57, Johnson 1.56, Jarron Gilbert 1.67, Sidbury 1.53, Kruger 1.60, Zach Potter (at 6'7 280#) 1.61.

He just doesn't seem like an explosive athlete. I guess the conclusion that I am coming to... If the Broncos feel he is going to be a 3-4 DE and he can add some weight, good pick. If they think he can move to OLB I have my doubts. I hope he isn't the pick. I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Barwin or even Michael Johnson in the 2nd round. Speaking of Johnson, he could be one of the guys they have ranked higher than most would expect... He is a workout warrior and I fear young, inexperienced evaluators may put too much stock into what they see away from the field.

Drek
04-25-2009, 05:56 AM
The word I've heard on Ayers is teams think he'd make a versatile 'tweener in the 3-4, playing DE or OLB depending on the situation.

Ratboy
04-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I believe BJ Raji, but not the other 2.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Does Ayers gives anything that Doom doesn't??? We are looking at OLB but I think it not to fill the rush role.

Broncoman13
04-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Which is why I'm hoping we look at Cushing if that is the case Elsid. He would be the best option b/c of his ability to cover... as would Clay Mathews Jr.

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Ayers was incredible at the Senior Bowl. He was really tearing it up. The problem is why wasn't he doing that during his time at Tennessee? Was it poor coaching? That's not a completely dismissible argument, but he should have popped more even with bad coaching. Some think he's playing for the money, whereby after he gets his money he'll shut it down. But not all guys who play for money suck. If he likes to keep getting his paycheck enough then he could have a good career with that kind of motivation. I have friends like that, where if money's involved they become supermen. I'm still iffy on him.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Which is why I'm hoping we look at Cushing if that is the case Elsid. He would be the best option b/c of his ability to cover... as would Clay Mathews Jr.

I would take either of those two or Barwin before I could see Denver taking Ayers. BTW with McKid comments that DJ and Davis are the starting ILBs, I don't see Denver taking Rey-Rey either.

bap454
04-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Any comb. of the three or Jenkins, Rey-Rey, or Moreno and I will be happy.

skpac1001
04-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Personally, I think Ayers fits the mold of what Nolan is looking for, or at least what he looked for in the past. Nolan converted Thomas to OLB in Baltimore, Justin Smith in SF, and apparently is looking to do so with Reid. He had Thomas and Smith line up all over the field (LB, DE, NT, even CB and S) and then rush. Ayers seems to me to fit the same mold, and was in fact used in the same way at Tennesee, where they had him line up at OLB, DE, NT, and rush. Thomas and Smith are both 270+ guys who are very good against the run and very physical players, and thats what Ayers is also. I think the theory would be that obviously they will be very strong against the run, but on passing downs they will be looking for mismatches either against slower interior lineman or against smaller TE's/RB's, instead of focusing on guys who speed rush the OT.

lex
04-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Ayers was incredible at the Senior Bowl. He was really tearing it up. The problem is why wasn't he doing that during his time at Tennessee? Was it poor coaching? That's not a completely dismissible argument, but he should have popped more even with bad coaching. Some think he's playing for the money, whereby after he gets his money he'll shut it down. But not all guys who play for money suck. If he likes to keep getting his paycheck enough then he could have a good career with that kind of motivation. I have friends like that, where if money's involved they become supermen. I'm still iffy on him.

He did ok during the season in terms of beating blockers but he had a problem finishing plays and coming up with the tackle as I remember.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Personally, I think Ayers fits the mold of what Nolan is looking for, or at least what he looked for in the past. Nolan converted Thomas to OLB in Baltimore, Justin Smith in SF, and apparently is looking to do so with Reid. He had Thomas and Smith line up all over the field (LB, DE, NT, even CB and S) and then rush. Ayers seems to me to fit the same mold, and was in fact used in the same way at Tennesee, where they had him line up at OLB, DE, NT, and rush. Thomas and Smith are both 270+ guys who are very good against the run and very physical players, and thats what Ayers is also. I think the theory would be that obviously they will be very strong against the run, but on passing downs they will be looking for mismatches either against slower interior lineman or against smaller TE's/RB's.

Ayers isn't that flexible to do what Thomas did. If Nolan is looking for someone like that, he would push for Michael Johnson out of GT. He has the physical ability and is clone of Larson, who Nolan drafted in SF

lex
04-25-2009, 09:22 AM
BTW, where did he come up with those names? He seems to be basing a lot of his article on what McDaniels said in the press conference. If thats the case, then he was totally cherry-picking quotes. He totally ignored McDaniels comment that Denver already has Moss and Doom, who McDaniels said are similar to any of the projected 3-4 DEs, which Ayers is. So, if McDaniels just said that we already have a lot of what Ayers is on the roster, how does it make sense to targe him...and at 12? Klis seems like a poor mans Spaghetti Mortensen.

ludo21
04-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I would be fine with all of them.

Raji would solidify us at the DT position, Jackson at the End, and Ayers seems to be a good case of poor coaching. He has got the skills and I would love for him to be the pick.

Remember, we may not run 3-4 exclusively, so he may be very valuable when we switch back and forth.

skpac1001
04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Ayers isn't that flexible to do what Thomas did. If Nolan is looking for someone like that, he would push for Michael Johnson out of GT. He has the physical ability and is clone of Larson, who Nolan drafted in SF

Well I agree that he isn't as athletic or flexible as Thomas, but I think he is fairly comparable to Smith. Smith wasn't much of a terror for the Niners as far as I know so you may be right about him pushing for a more athletic guy instead. But if we take Ayers, I think it would be to create that type of a Thomas/Smith role for him. I don't know if Michael Johnson would fit for that type role since I think one of his knocks was that he isn't very physical or strong at the point of attack vs the run.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Well I agree that he isn't as athletic or flexible as Thomas, but I think he is fairly comparable to Smith. Smith wasn't much of a terror for the Niners as far as I know so you may be right about him pushing for a more athletic guy instead. But if we take Ayers, I think it would be to create that type of a Thomas/Smith role for him. I don't know if Michael Johnson would fit for that type role since I think one of his knocks was that he isn't very physical or strong at the point of attack vs the run.

Justin Smith prime position was a DE. I don't believe they moved him out much. Ayers is to small to play DE in 3/4 so he would be a LB. The knocks wasn't his strength it is his motor. As Med pointed out, physical Johnson grade out better then Peppers with same skills sets.

lex
04-25-2009, 09:48 AM
I would be fine with all of them.

Raji would solidify us at the DT position, Jackson at the End, and Ayers seems to be a good case of poor coaching. He has got the skills and I would love for him to be the pick.

Remember, we may not run 3-4 exclusively, so he may be very valuable when we switch back and forth.

McDaniels said he isnt drafting guys for the 4-3. He said the only reason we would run the 4-3 would be to adapt to the whats happening at the time but that theyre committed to converting to the 3-4 when it comes to acquiring personnel.

Punisher
04-25-2009, 09:48 AM
anything to improve the D-line works for me.

And i think we trade a 3rd and Sheff for Quinn just a gut feeling

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
So, let's see, Robert Ayers...

Career tackles (112), Career sacks (9). Hmmmm.

What about, let's say, Larry English?

Career tackles (206), Career Sacks (30). Well let me think about this one for a while...

lex
04-25-2009, 09:52 AM
So, let's see, Robert Ayers...

Career tackles (112), Career sacks (9). Hmmmm.

What about, let's say, Larry English?

Career tackles (206), Career Sacks (30). Well let me think about this one for a while...

Ayers had a good senior bowl week and also had a good game vs Andre Smith. But youre right, he doesnt have a lot of sacks to show for how he is able to beat blockers. I agree though, Id rather take someone who is less risky later like English,...especially since we already have Doom and Moss.

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Denver will get some good offers for the #12. Are they really that interested in Raji? He'll be gone anyway by 12. Jackson is a maybe, Ayers is a maybe. I bet they trade down because there will be good value later and the offer for 12 will be too good.

There will be a lot of yelling that it was dumb. That's a lot of rookies and free agents to add to the team.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Denver will get some good offers for the #12. Are they really that interested in Raji? He'll be gone anyway by 12. Jackson is a maybe, Ayers is a maybe. I bet they trade down because there will be good value later and the offer for 12 will be too good.

There will be a lot of yelling that it was dumb. That's a lot of rookies and free agents to add to the team.

If we can trade out of 12 for a low 1 and a 2, it would be brilliant.

There is a lot of value in the second round, I wish we had three picks in the top half of the second.

GeniusatWork
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM
If we can trade out of 12 for a low 1 and a 2, it would be brilliant.

There is a lot of value in the second round, I wish we had three picks in the top half of the second.

That's what I was thinking. Some combo of a high pick next year and a high pick this year might be better than reaching at 12 this year.

mhgaffney
05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Taking Moreno at #12 was not a reach.

It was a smart defensive move. If we had not taken Moreno we would likely have faced him in a SD Charger uniform twice a year for the next decade.

Not a happy prospect. The kid has star written all over him.