PDA

View Full Version : Broncos want a 1st rounder for Scheffler

uplink
04-25-2009, 03:03 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12223334

After the Philadelphia Eagles failed to execute a trade for tight end Tony Gonzalez, they called the Broncos to seek a trade for tight end Tony Scheffler.

But barring the unlikely event the Eagles surrender a first-round pick for Scheffler, the Broncos won't listen.

The Eagles offered only a third-round pick to Kansas City for Gonzalez, the all-time career leader among tight ends in nearly every receiving category. Gonzalez was instead traded to Atlanta for a second-round pick in 2010.

It might be argued Scheffler, at 26, has more trade value than Gonzalez, at 33. Scheffler will make $535,000 this year, while Gonzalez is the league's highest- paid tight end at $7 million. Scheffler led all tight ends with a 16.1-yards-per-catch average last season while Gonzalez averaged 11.0 yards per catch.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-25-2009, 03:13 AM
good news is that scheffler apparently is not going to be traded...

BroncoDoug
04-25-2009, 03:15 AM
If we can get a 1st for him I will do cartwheels off my roof and onto I-25!!!

robbieopperude
04-25-2009, 03:17 AM
That article has to be B.S. In what world is Scheffler worth a 1st rd pick when Winslow went for a mid/late 2nd. Even with the salary involved Scheffler is worth the same as Winslow at best. I would still rather have Winslow in a heartbeat over Scheffler. Plus Scheffler wants out of Denver and McDaniels system allegedly won't use him. Those additional negatives lead to McDaniels having no leverage in a trade.

watermock
04-25-2009, 03:25 AM
I expect Scheff to be traded today.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 03:29 AM
That article has to be B.S. In what world is Scheffler worth a 1st rd pick when Winslow went for a mid/late 2nd. Even with the salary involved Scheffler is worth the same as Winslow at best. I would still rather have Winslow in a heartbeat over Scheffler. Plus Scheffler wants out of Denver and McDaniels system allegedly won't use him. Those additional negatives lead to McDaniels having no leverage in a trade.

we thought the Cutler crap and all the possible negatives would put a dent in us getting 2-1st rounders for Jay, but it didn't. when it comes down to good young talent, teams will pay what they have to, to acquire it.

also in the world where Kellen "I'm a Soldier" Winslow isn't that great and has had 2 or 3 staph infections is a head case, has bad knees, has only played in 40 or so games since he was drafted, is why Scheff is worth more.

and your thoughts about how McDaniels system not calling for a TE like Scheff or that he wants out of Denver are strikes against us getting what we want for him are crazy. the fact that his salary is 535,000 means we can keep him on the bench with no problems until we get what we want for him.

and i know Scheff's injury history will be brought up but he has still only actually missed something like 5 or 6 games to injury.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I expect Scheff to be traded today.

i agree. i also expect we end draft weeked with either Sanchez or Quinn.

robbieopperude
04-25-2009, 03:47 AM
we thought the Cutler crap and all the possible negatives would put a dent in us getting 2-1st rounders for Jay, but it didn't. when it comes down to good young talent, teams will pay what they have to, to acquire it.

also in the world where Kellen "I'm a Soldier" Winslow isn't that great and has had 2 or 3 staph infections is a head case, has bad knees, has only played in 40 or so games since he was drafted, is why Scheff is worth more.

and your thoughts about how McDaniels system not calling for a TE like Scheff or that he wants out of Denver are strikes against us getting what we want for him are crazy. the fact that his salary is 535,000 means we can keep him on the bench with no problems until we get what we want for him.

and i know Scheff's injury history will be brought up but he has still only actually missed something like 5 or 6 games to injury.

You make some good points about Winslows injuries and you are right I will bring up the fact that Scheffler is a player who gets nicked easily. Winslow is still the superior player by far and is worth at least what TB gave up to get Winslow. Perhaps we will get a future 1st for him but I really doubt it.

robbieopperude
04-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Also I never thought the Cutler crap would hurt his value because his trade had no precedent (I am excluding Jeff George). Personally I think Denver could have gotten more but that is just speculation on my part.

I thought he was worth 2 number 1's a number 2 and a number 3. I don't consider Orton's value to be a number 2. I also don't consider the Bears number 1's to be that valuable since next years will likely be in the mid 20's.

Killericon
04-25-2009, 03:51 AM
I'd be over the moon with a 2nd, nevermind a first.

watermock
04-25-2009, 03:57 AM
That makes Simms and our long snapper a real bargain.

Broncoman13
04-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Scheff's trade value is a little higher when you consider he isn't an expensive option. Winslow and Gonzo are each $7m a year players!

TheChamp24
04-25-2009, 04:25 AM
We aren't getting a 1st for Tony freakin Scheffler.
If some team is dumb enough to, buy all means go ahead and do it because good lord that is a damn steal.

eddie mac
04-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Some people are missing the point.

The article isn't bull****, neither is the Broncos stance on their asking price.

I hope we're taking a similar stance on the asking prices for other players who may be available because in real terms this draft is pretty weak, thus affecting the value of veterans to rookies.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Jeremy freaking Shockey was traded for less.

Jesus.

kent156
04-25-2009, 04:46 AM
the title of the thread says the broncos want a 1st rounder than the article says the broncos won't trade him for a first what is it?

eddie mac
04-25-2009, 04:56 AM
the title of the thread says the broncos want a 1st rounder than the article says the broncos won't trade him for a first what is it?

But barring the unlikely event the Eagles surrender a first-round pick for Scheffler, the Broncos won't listen.

That means they will listen if they're offered a 1st.

eddie mac
04-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Shockey is an overrated turd and a locker-room cancer.

meangene
04-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Looks like the Eagles were willing to part with a third for Gonzo and are interested in Schefler. We asked for a first. Seems like we are negotiating towards a second for him. I do think he has better trade value than Gonzo due to his age and salary and is worth at least as much as Winslow.

HILife
04-25-2009, 05:35 AM
If we can get a 1st for him I will do cartwheels off my roof and onto I-25!!!

Hilarious!

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2009, 05:39 AM

That means they will listen if they're offered a 1st.
Ya think?

Scheffler is one of the very few TE's in the NFL who can stretch a defense like a wide receiver. In fact I think he could play WR if needed. His 16 ypc avg. is nothing to sneeze at. The idea that this system we're going to be using can't find a way to take advantage of his skill set is bizarre. Jeb Putzier was probably brought in here to take his place because I also expect him to be traded.

If they manage to get a 1st rounder for Scheff I'll take back all the nasty things I've said about little hoodie the last month.

It's more likely he gets cut outright than we get a #1 for him. We might get a 4th rounder if we're lucky.

tsiguy96
04-25-2009, 06:31 AM
scheffler is so underrated, its sick. but i do expect he will get traded. probably for a 2nd and 6th/7th.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Ya think?

Scheffler is one of the very few TE's in the NFL who can stretch a defense like a wide receiver. In fact I think he could play WR if needed. His 16 ypc avg. is nothing to sneeze at. The idea that this system we're going to be using can't find a way to take advantage of his skill set is bizarre. Jeb Putzier was probably brought in here to take his place because I also expect him to be traded.

If they manage to get a 1st rounder for Scheff I'll take back all the nasty things I've said about little hoodie the last month.

It's more likely he gets cut outright than we get a #1 for him. We might get a 4th rounder if we're lucky.

They won't cut him, he has to much talent at low cost. Plus he is a defense coordinators nightmare. Denver comes out in ace set with Marshall, Royal,Graham and Scheff. If the defense comes out in base 4/3 or 3/4 then the team audibles to spread look with Scheff outside Royal in the slot. How defense does cover that? Or if team comes in nickle or dime package then Denver stay tight and runs the ball. Scheff give McKid options similar to what Dallas Clark gives Indy.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Maybe they're asking that absurd price knowing full well nobody will take him off their hands, and he'll remain a Bronco?

And if someone IS crazy enough to give us a first, so be it.

Requiem
04-25-2009, 07:02 AM
A third and a kiss on my pickle would be enough to do the deed if I were coachin'.

SpringStein
04-25-2009, 07:11 AM
It may be a weak draft, but TE is one of the very best positions. I think up to 9 TEs could be taken in the first 3 rounds.

NYBronco
04-25-2009, 07:21 AM
I believe Scheffler would be more appealing to many teams due to his experience, youth and production as a TE. His low salary cap impact is also appealing vs an inexperienced high priced draftable rookie in today's draft.

broncswin
04-25-2009, 07:22 AM
A third and a kiss on my pickle would be enough to do the deed if I were coachin'.

There is no way I would do that, that is just ridiculous...now a fourth and that kiss I could see:-* :-*

Requiem
04-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Love the avatar dude. I wish my pickle was between those boobies right now.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Who is a better TE in the NFL, Pettigrew or Sheffler? So if you could choose Pettigrew at 21 or trade the pick for Sheffler who has already proven himself in the NFL and will probably be cheaper to sign, who would you pick Mr. GM?

Pettigrew of course. Because it's a human failing to always believe the bird in the bush is better than the one in the hand.

Orange_Beard
04-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Jesus.

Did you just offer Jesus for Scheffler?

I would be happy with a 4th for broke foot Tony.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Who is a better TE in the NFL, Pettigrew or Sheffler? So if you could choose Pettigrew at 21 or trade the pick for Sheffler who has already proven himself in the NFL and will probably be cheaper to sign, who would you pick Mr. GM?

Pettigrew of course. Because it's a human failing to always believe the bird in the bush is better than the one in the hand.

It depends on the team and what they want to do with TE. For Philly, Scheffler is more in line with their offense philosophy of WCO TE that can get down the field and force teams stay honest on outside.

Pettigrew has great potential as in line blocker but I think he would fit a team like NE, Denver, or Dallas better with the way they run their offense scheme vs a WCO team.

eddie mac
04-25-2009, 07:48 AM
A 1st rd pick at TE could see anything from $7m-$10m guaranteed.

Scheffler has no contractual guarantees, he is also currently a restricted FA for 2010 with no CBA in place.

It's a win win for any team that is interested.

Now I'm not saying he's worth a 1st rounder but he's worth far more than a 3rd or 4th rd pick and as for TE being deep in this draft nearly everyone of those players bar Pettigrew and Nelson have questionmarks.

Ingram-injuries
Beckum-injuries
Coffman-injuries
Quinn-can he even catch???
Casey-can't block for ****
Cook-combine wonder

elsid13
04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
A 1st rd pick at TE could see anything from $7m-$10m guaranteed.

Scheffler has no contractual guarantees, he is also currently a restricted FA for 2010 with no CBA in place.

It's a win win for any team that is interested.

Now I'm not saying he's worth a 1st rounder but he's worth far more than a 3rd or 4th rd pick and as for TE being deep in this draft nearly everyone of those players bar Pettigrew and Nelson have questionmarks.

Ingram-injuries
Beckum-injuries
Coffman-injuries
Quinn-can he even catch???
Casey-can't block for ****
Cook-combine wonder

Quinn can catch but he isn't going to threaten the deep middle of the field, his value is in his blocking ability. The rest of the guys are about 3 years behind Scheffler in learning to block in the pros.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 08:05 AM
It depends on the team and what they want to do with TE. For Philly, Scheffler is more in line with their offense philosophy of WCO TE that can get down the field and force teams stay honest on outside.

Pettigrew has great potential as in line blocker but I think he would fit a team like NE, Denver, or Dallas better with the way they run their offense scheme vs a WCO team.

That's not what I've read about Pettigrew. What I've read over and over again is that he is the only "complete" TE in the draft. Blocks, catches, etc. etc. But that's what I find funny to no end. "Potential." Scheffler has proven he's an NFL TE on the field in real games, has no character issues, but a few injury concerns. Pettigrew has nothing but potential shown at the college level and an assault charge. And yet, I doubt there is a GM in the NFL who would not be glad to spend that 21 pick drafting Pettigrew, and absolutely refuse to trade it for Sheffler. Ha!

It's a failing of the human mind, this dreamy fixation on "potential."

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 08:12 AM
You know this doesn't say that the Broncos are looking to get a first round pick for him anywhere. All it says is the Eagles offered a third for Gonzo (not Scheffler) and then the author says that "unless they offer a first" he's not going to be traded to them. For all we know the Eagles offered a conditional seventh round pick for him. My thought is Denver would entertain offers for like a third and fifth or some such combination. I highly doubt Denver is looking to get a first round pick for Scheffler. That's completely insane.

elsid13
04-25-2009, 08:13 AM
That's not what I've read about Pettigrew. What I've read over and over again is that he is the only "complete" TE in the draft. Blocks, catches, etc. etc. But that's what I find funny to no end. "Potential." Scheffler has proven he's an NFL TE on the field in real games, has no character issues, but a few injury concerns. Pettigrew has nothing but potential shown at the college level and an assault charge. And yet, I doubt there is a GM in the NFL who would not be glad to spend that 21 pick drafting Pettigrew, and absolutely refuse to trade it for Sheffler. Ha!

Pettigrew is an old school TE, he more like Graham then Dallas Clark or Scheffer. Good at catching the ball,blocking but not someone that brings a lot of flexibility to the position or able to go into the slot.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Pettigrew is an old school TE, he more like Graham then Dallas Clark or Scheffer. Good at catching the ball,blocking but not someone that brings a lot of flexibility to the position or able to go into the slot.

Which neatly sidesteps my main point.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 08:16 AM
You know this doesn't say that the Broncos are looking to get a first round pick for him anywhere. All it says is the Eagles offered a third for Gonzo (not Scheffler) and then the author says that "unless they offer a first" he's not going to be traded to them. For all we know the Eagles offered a conditional seventh round pick for him. My thought is Denver would entertain offers for like a third and fifth or some such combination. I highly doubt Denver is looking to get a first round pick for Scheffler. That's completely insane.

I don't doubt that at all. I'm just thinking out loud about the logic of the whole thing. I read a figure a few weeks ago that only 30% of draftees make it in the NFL. 30%. So we balance a guy like Pettigrew against a guy like Sheffler and Pettigrew comes out higher on the scale? Makes no sense.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-25-2009, 08:16 AM
My thought is Denver would entertain offers for like a third and fifth or some such combination. I highly doubt Denver is looking to get a first round pick for Scheffler. That's completely insane.

Yep, the lack of critical thinking on this board strikes again, but the Denver Post mentioned a 1st round pick so that must be the only thing they'll take.

Denver wanted 1, 2, 1, Orton for Cutler, and then were eventually talked to Cutler, 5 for 1, 3, 1, Orton. If the Eagles offered a 2nd, I'm sure the Broncos would "reluctantly" accept such a low-ball offer off their original demands. All they're trying to do is start from a high point and see who is dumb enough to come closest to it.

Drek
04-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Unless McDaniels would just prefer to keep him.

His value should be comparable to what Shockey and Kellen Winslow got, a 2nd rounder. Those teams were willing to move their TEs and found willing buyers. If McDaniels doesn't actually want to move Scheffler then he should demand that a team effectively "buys out" his preference to keep him with an overpay.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 08:52 AM
If Scheffler had to go somewhere, the Eagles would be a great place for him. He could have a great career in a wide open passing attack.

If we can get a second rounder to add to our defense, make it happen...

In my opinion, if Scheffler goes, it leaves the door open to use Hillis even more as an "X back" type for running, receiving, blocking. I like Tony, but I would like to see even more Hillis.

lostknight
04-25-2009, 08:57 AM
At this point, I don't think that McDaniels can afford to give away popular offensive weapons.

Just my suspicion however.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
At this point, I don't think that McDaniels can afford to give away popular offensive weapons.

Just my suspicion however.

Seriously?

If he is going to break it all apart, now is the time. Don't leave any legacy players on the roster if you aren't 100% sure they fit your team.

He already "blew up the roster." There are no safe jobs until the season starts.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Isn't Scheffler hurt all the time?

I don't think his value is anywhere close to Shockey's.

3rd rounder at best IMO.

Orange_Beard
04-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Isn't Scheffler hurt all the time?

I don't think his value is anywhere close to Shockey's.

3rd rounder at best IMO.

He is not hurt any less then Shockey.

lex
04-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Maybe they're asking that absurd price knowing full well nobody will take him off their hands, and he'll remain a Bronco?

And if someone IS crazy enough to give us a first, so be it.

That makes sense. However, if the Cardinals move Boldin, they will likely get a first and maybe Denver could pry their 31 from them. Scheffler would make a nice target for Warner.

Gcver2ver3
04-25-2009, 09:15 AM
accepting notning less than a 1st rd for Scheff = Scheff not going anywhere...

i'm good with that...

uplink
04-25-2009, 09:17 AM

the article does say:
I underlined it. So the reporter feels the broncos would listen only if the Eagles offered a 1st. So in the reporters mind a 1st or more if anything is
needed to get Scheffler.

The Eagles should try and get Boldin with their 1st and Scheffler with their 2nd rounder.

broncswin
04-25-2009, 09:27 AM
the article does say:
I underlined it. So the reporter feels the broncos would listen only if the Eagles offered a 1st. So in the reporters mind a 1st or more if anything is
needed to get Scheffler.

The Eagles should try and get Boldin with their 1st and Scheffler with their 2nd rounder.

Phiilly fans would be overjoyed with that!!

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM
the article does say:
needed to get Scheffler.
So Lindsay Jones and Mike Klis think they want a first round pick. Well thanks for sharing Lindsay Jones and Mike Klis.

I guarantee you they aren't expecting a first or even a second for Scheffler. This is a classic case of the authors assuming more than is there. Philly offers a third to the chiefs ergo the Broncos want a first for Scheffler? That's an incredibly stupid conclusion to draw.

Hamrob
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I bet that little hoodie...pulls a Shanny using Sheff!

Would you trade Sheff and #12 to move up into the top 8?

K.C., Cleveland, Cinn, Jax all might be interested. They get a solid TE and not have to pay top end money at #12.

Thoughts?

lex
04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

K.C., Cleveland, Cinn, Jax all might be interested. They get a solid TE and not have to pay top end money at #12.

Thoughts?

No. Id rather just trade Scheff straight up.

SouthStndJunkie
04-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a better chance of ****ting a gold bar than Denver does of getting a first round pick for Scheffler.

400HZ
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
[/B]

Phiilly fans would be overjoyed with that!!

They would be ****in pissed. Like they always are.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
They would be ****in pissed. Like they always are.

LOL Too true.

Obushma
04-25-2009, 09:52 AM
If the Broncos were to trade Scheffler today, would anybody be shocked if the FO took Pettigrew @ 18?

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 10:12 AM
If the Broncos were to trade Scheffler today, would anybody be shocked if the FO took Pettigrew @ 18?

I would. Is he that much of an upgrade over Graham? Functionally they're very similar players.

socalorado
04-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey who complaining about DENs asking for a 1st? This is a smart move. Start the bidding really high,and as these teams get desperate and the coffee runs out, and the stress levels exceed def-con 1, and the 1st round is about to begin, then they will offer up a high 2nd for him.
This is a smart move by the FO.

socalorado
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM

Thoughts?

This too could be a good idea. although didnt MCD say he wasnt trading up for sanchez? So for who? Only Curry is worth a trade up.

Archer81
04-25-2009, 10:46 AM
If we get a first for Sheffler, I will wonder about the mental accumen of the other 31 teams. Tony is a good player, but that would be criminal to get a 1st round pick for him.

:Broncos:

kdissette
04-25-2009, 11:43 AM
good luck but i have a feeling that we are just posturing to get a 2nd rd pck for a TE that is always injured and cant block for ****

broncos-rock
04-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I hear that da bears want to get rid of #47 let's reunite the "friends"

Man-Goblin
04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
People are gonna be pissed when he gets traded for a conditional pick in next year's draft.

Old Dude
04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
McD has been shopping him since day 1, supposedly because he doesn't fit in whatever offensive scheme he has in mind. I'll be surprised if he isn't traded today.

No way on earth will he draw a 1st round pick, but I could see him as part of a deal that moves one of our other picks up.

For example, let's say Curry or Jackson or Raji or some other highly coveted player drops to 11. Maybe we send Scheff to the Bills (who badly need a TE) to switch positions, plus one of their second day picks.

Popps
04-25-2009, 12:03 PM
If we get a 2nd rounder for Sheffler and turned it into a guy like William Moore, I'd be elated.

BroncoMan4ever
04-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Jesus.

Jeremy Shockey is in the same scenario as Winslow was. he was making big money, constantly injured, and was somewhat of a head case.

with Scheff you have to like that he is making peanuts compared to these other guys. yes he gets nicked up, but has still only missed 5 or 6 games to injury, while those guys are missing 5-6 games a year.

he is one of the most dominant receiving TEs in the league and to a team that needs a good pass catching TE, and with this not being a particularly strong TE draft it is very possible we get a 1st or 2nd for him

socalorado
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
If we get a 2nd rounder for Sheffler and turned it into a guy like William Moore, I'd be elated.

I really think thats the idea of asking for a really high pick to start with.
There may be a team who like Sheff, and then responds with a offer of a 2nd round pick.

razorwire77
04-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I think a 3rd round pick for Tony would be best case scenario in terms of realistic value. Even that is probably stretching it.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Hell, yeah! :thumbs:

TonyR
04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I think a 3rd round pick for Tony would be best case scenario in terms of realistic value. Even that is probably stretching it.

Why? Gonzalez took a 2 and he's only got a couple years left and a big contract. You could make a very strong case that Scheffler is more valuable.