View Full Version : Stafford to the Lions

BroncoDoug
04-24-2009, 08:17 PM
ESPN reporting 6 year deal $41 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4097641

Dagmar
04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
:spit:

Best bet would have been an OT for me, but hey, they can't get any worse!

BroncoDoug
04-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that is just a lot of freaking guaranteed money!!!!! for someone who has never played a down in the NFL

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Harrington: Phase II Hilarious!

SouthStndJunkie
04-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I know many disagree, but it was a smart pick by the Lions.

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
That is what's killing this game. That contract is absurd.

HEAV
04-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Well this will speed up the hours to the draft...

Why in the hell are they starting this thing at 4pm anyway?

Kaylore
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Well this will speed up the hours to the draft...

Why in the hell are they starting this thing at 4pm anyway?

Better TV I think. They only have ten minutes a pick now too. It's supposed to expedite the process.

The Rams are on the clock!

GreatBronco16
04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Better TV I think. They only have ten minutes a pick now too. It's supposed to expedite the process.

So the rams actually have more than 10 mins now I guess. ;)

HEAV
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
That is what's killing this game. That contract is absurd.

Ya the Bossman (Goodell) has been pushing for a rookie cap or slotted pay scale baised on draft position.

He thinks it crazy that NFL owners are throwing money at players that haven't proven they can play...J.Moss comes to mind...

"It's something in the rookie pool that we have to speak to our players association about and negotiate collectively. But just this weekend, in the first round alone, we'll commit $600 million to our first round draft choices this weekend, $400 (million) of that will be guaranteed money. So it's significant expenses that we have to pay to our players that have not yet proven themselves on the field. My philosophy has been the proven veterans that do it on the NFL field should be the ones that are rewarded."- Roger Goodell

HEAV
04-24-2009, 08:52 PM

10 minutes of seeing that orange faced McShay...

I miss the day's when this rocket was launch at 12pm.

Man-Goblin
04-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I think the NFL changed the rule yesterday that the team picking 2nd can now negotiate with their pick. Maybe the first couple picks will be anticlimatic.

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I think the NFL changed the rule yesterday that the team picking 2nd can now negotiate with their pick. Maybe the first couple picks will be anticlimatic.

Yeah but seemingly the Rams jumped the gun.

If that story is true about purchasing a plane ticket for Sanchez they are ****ed.

BroncoDoug
04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

really? I would like to see a link, that would make the draft pretty anticlimactic

Dagmar
04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
really? I would like to see a link, that would make the draft pretty anticlimactic

I think Goodell commented that if it was the case then a policy would be put in place after this draft. PFT yesterday I think.

Man-Goblin
04-24-2009, 09:24 PM
I think Goodell commented that if it was the case then a policy would be put in place after this draft. PFT yesterday I think.

The league said through a spokesman that the Rams could negotiate with players as long as the #1 pick signs his deal. I don't know if Stafford has signed a binding contract, but if he does it is on.

Popps
04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Bad move by Detroit, imo.

But, they were sort of pigeon holed, here.

Wow, these guys go 0-16 and basically end up getting punished for it on draft day. If it weren't for bad luck...

Atwater His Ass
04-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Good for him, but it just astonishes me that NFL teams are willing to put out this kind of cash for unproven players.

Broncojef
04-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Wow, these guys go 0-16 and basically end up getting punished for it on draft day. If it weren't for bad luck...

I wonder how far Stafford would have fallen had Detroit not taken him or even better yet signed Sanchez instead.

Archer81
04-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Never know, Stafford could work out for them. Thats alot of money to throw at a rookie though. 71 mil with 41 mil in garantees?

:Broncos:

Malcontent
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

How do you mean by pigeon holed Popps..they made their bed and they are sleeping in said bed! Don't freaking suck if you dont want to pay for the so called best player in the freaking nation on draft day...Pretty simple math. I do agree that the rookie pay compensation is ludicrous and needs complete renovation, but one can't say the lions were "pigeon holed"

OrangeRising
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I know many disagree, but it was a smart pick by the Lions.

I think so. Stafford will bring a new and positive identity to the Lions and their fans. I just get the sense that this guy is the real deal, but 41 million guaranteed. Holy Cow.

worm
04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Detroit will still use up 9 1/2 min getting their pick to the podium.