PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels' 4/24 Pre-Draft Presser

montrose
04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Located at www.denverbroncos.com. Here are some key points:

* Has had a few migranes since coming to Colorado because of dehydration and the altitude.

* Mark Sanchez's workout confirmed he's a good player.

* Doesn't think they will move up from #12.

* Xanders has been overseeing the entire draft process. Organized the draft board and scouting visits. McDaniels and Xanders have watched every player together.

* The team is transitioning to the 3-4 defense but will always be open to adjusting week-by-week. Currently evaluating propsects on how they would fit into the 3-4.

* Tim Crowder, Jarvis Moss, Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil all practiced standing up as a LB and with their hand on the ground. These players are being transitioned to play both ways.

* The team will not trade #12 and #18 to move up.

* Their are candidates in the draft to play NT, mentioning B.J. Raji and Ron Brace. There aren't many teams in college that ask players to do what is asked of a 3-4 NT. This is all projecting based on body type and skill set, but these players would need to be taught.

* The DE/OLB hybrid position may seem deep in terms of numbers but in projections, it's a major transition from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB. Like NT, not many true 3-4 OLBs in college.

* D.J. Williams will play Weakside Inside Linebacker.

* If Dumervil and Moss came out in this year's draft, they would be very similar to the group of DE/OLB hybrids available.

* Boss Bailey is finishing his rehab and won't be played until he's 100% healthy. Could play a lot of different positions.

* Andra Davis will play Strongside Inside Linebacker.

* Hasn't heard anything from the league office on Brandon Marshall who is currently rehabbing.

* Tyson Jackson is one of the only prospects that fits the protypical 5-technique in an NFL 3-4. However he hasn't played that position often and is currently more of a projection.

* Players don't always have to fit those physical paramaters to play DE such as New England's Jarvis Green. There are players on the roster like Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean and Mathias Askew that haven't been asked to play that position in the past but their body type projects to it.

* Not sure if Marcus Thomas can play DE. Because only 5, maybe 6, DL will be active on gameday you need players who can play both DE and NT.

NYBronco
04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Merry predraft eve to all and to all a good night.

Paladin
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Interesting comments on Thomas......

Punisher
04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice key points can't wait till the draft.

BroncoDoug
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I wonder how much of this is the truth? I mean I can't imagine a coach throwing his whole strategy out there for all the other teams to see...

Man-Goblin
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I wonder how much of this is the truth? I mean I can't imagine a coach throwing his whole strategy out there for all the other teams to see...

He's lying to us. I can see it in his eyes.

Northman
04-24-2009, 07:13 PM
He's lying to us. I can see it in his eyes.

How? He has aids sprayed in his face by a Cobra.

OBF1
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Now all you need to do is ask for a trade and whine like a baby cutler.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I hope he means what he says..................................Oh Damn he's a Liar shyt!!!

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Right. Why give anything away? It doesn't make sense to tell other teams what you will or won't do. I think it's all crap. The comment on Thomas doesn't sound good.

TheReverend
04-24-2009, 07:30 PM
* Not sure if Marcus Thomas can play DE. Because only 5, maybe 6, DL will be active on gameday you need players who can play both DE and NT.

Jesus ****ing christ...

So we plan on taking 5 guys that are 300+ pounds, asking them to two gap for 40-60 snaps a game and bring the required intensity with virtually no rotation...

This will go well...

TheReverend
04-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Not much strategy revealed, more personnel. There won't be much secret there when opening day comes around.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 07:37 PM
glad to get more clarification on where DJ will play...

Hamrob
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Marcus Thomas can do a backflip at 315lbs. He doesn't know if he can kick outside? Please.

Kaylore
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
This interview is awesome. Everyone should listen to it. You can tell, for better or worse, they have a strategy and are sticking to it. It makes me much more confident than I was about this draft.

Atlas
04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
How? He has aids sprayed in his face by a Cobra.

LMAO!

maher_tyler
04-24-2009, 07:58 PM
This interview is awesome. Everyone should listen to it. You can tell, for better or worse, they have a strategy and are sticking to it. It makes me much more confident than I was about this draft.

At work on a gov't computer so can't listen to it...but i'll take your word for it. Unlike a few on here i have faith in McD!!

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 08:05 PM

big time...

listening to him, i truly believe he'll have this team ready to play...

orange crusher
04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
"Boss Bailey is finishing his rehab and won't be played until he's 100% healthy. Could play a lot of different positions."

He also says:
DJ will play weakside inside LB
Davis will play strongside iInside LB

I sure would like to know just what positions Bailey will be playing, other than backup. He won't cut it as an outside LB in a 34.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
"Boss Bailey is finishing his rehab and won't be played until he's 100% healthy. Could play a lot of different positions."

He also says:

I sure would like to know just what positions Bailey will be playing, other than backup. He won't cut it as an outside LB in a 34.

i see Larsen backing up Davis...and WW backing up DJ...

and Boss getting the axe...

orange crusher
04-24-2009, 08:20 PM

I think you're right.

TheDave
04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
First off, everyone should watch the interview.

I never can decide whether i hate our new coach or love him. There sure doesn't seem to be any middle of the road feelings towards him... at least not with me. Half the time this kid reminds me of a monkey with a gun and the other half he seems like the boy genius he is billed as.

Regardless, it was a good interview and I do like his attitude and thoughts on building a team... now hopefully he can stick with it.

As for Marcus Thomas, I don't think it is a negative at all. I think he is being looked at as more of a NT than a 5 tech. He was drafted by bates who's defense was built around 2 massive NT types in the middle. Maybe we all have been making the wrong assumption of where he fits in with this defense. I guess we will find out more this weekend.

Good luck coach... Don't **** this up ;D

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 09:03 PM

IMHO it'll come down to whether Boss can ever get healthy and stay that way. So far in his career that has been a major issue.

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Jesus ****ing christ...

So we plan on taking 5 guys that are 300+ pounds, asking them to two gap for 40-60 snaps a game and bring the required intensity with virtually no rotation...

This will go well...

Rev if we are playing a standard 3-4 that's the same as playing 8 DL in a 4-3 rotation. Where's the problem with that???

It only becomes an issue if you're switching constantly between 4 and 3 line sets.

I think he's thinking long-term 3-4 with that statement.

SoCalBronco
04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm certainly glad to hear they arent going to sacrifice 12 and 18 to move up. Good.

cutthemdown
04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Interesting comments on Thomas......

Thomas has a stout body which is really prefect for a 4-3 DT. How tall is he? he seems low to the ground with not much length to his frame. Doesn't mean he won't find a role on the team though. It means more Broncos probably will play a lot of 4-3 this yr as well as 3-4 looks.

Popps
04-24-2009, 09:26 PM

****ing ****.

Then again, I guess there's nowhere else to stick him. He'd be useless as an OLB in a 3-4.

Williams has as much business playing inside LB as I do.

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm certainly glad to hear they arent going to sacrifice 12 and 18 to move up. Good.

Scheff said we are trying to move up to the Skins pick with 18 to get back to back picks with the intention of drafting Moreno.

cutthemdown
04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
big time...

listening to him, i truly believe he'll have this team ready to play...

I see how people are a little worried, and I understand because he is young, seems a cocky, and maybe even a little scared that he in is over his head. But something about him reminds me of a young Shannahan. He's hungry and will work long hard hours, will relate well to the players, and every person in football says the kid is as bright a young mind as there is in the NFL.

Raiders tried to hire him and many many other teams would have been interested in him had we not been. No doubt about it this kid was going to be a head coach somewhere if not Denver. So it's not like he was a reach or some unknown.

People are going to love the new coach, forget all about Cutler, and Broncos are going to have a good football team again. I can just feel it. It's coming people, the Broncos are starting a new ERA and once again us loyal fans are in at the ground level.

I was a Broncos fan when Butch Johnson caught that fingertip pass and the Dallas Dline made mincemeat out of Morton. I was a fan a decade later when Elway came on board and we suffered through 3 more Superbowl defeats.

It makes it all the sweeter. All the bandwagon fans are gone, all thats left is us diehards. We all know how unreal it felt to watch Mobely knock that ball down and realize that we had finally won. One of the biggest thrills in my entire life, but I can't help it I bleed orange and piss blue.

When Broncos make it back to the top we will have come full circle once again. Some of us know how sweet it will be because we already tasted it once. We will be back, and soon, and when Broncos do win it all again us diehards will be the ones who really know what it is like to love the Broncos.

Whoever we draft they become Broncos and that's good enough for me. I could care less who we get I just know we are headed in right direction. The new regime will find us some good players, I have faith.

cutthemdown
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Scheff said we are trying to move up to the Skins pick with 18 to get back to back picks with the intention of drafting Moreno.

Moreno looks like a natural runner to me I wouldn't be upset if he was a Bronco. He's not quite as big and fast as I would like but he has some sweet wiggle and can make people miss, and break tackles.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I see how people are a little worried, and I understand because he is young, seems a cocky, and maybe even a little scared that he in is over his head. But something about him reminds me of a young Shannahan. He's hungry and will work long hard hours, will relate well to the players, and every person in football says the kid is as bright a young mind as there is in the NFL.

Raiders tried to hire him and many many other teams would have been interested in him had we not been. No doubt about it this kid was going to be a head coach somewhere if not Denver. So it's not like he was a reach or some unknown.

People are going to love the new coach, forget all about Cutler, and Broncos are going to have a good football team again. I can just feel it. It's coming people, the Broncos are starting a new ERA and once again us loyal fans are in at the ground level.

I was a Broncos fan when Butch Johnson caught that fingertip pass and the Dallas Dline made mincemeat out of Morton. I was a fan a decade later when Elway came on board and we suffered through 3 more Superbowl defeats.

It makes it all the sweeter. All the bandwagon fans are gone, all thats left is us diehards. We all know how unreal it felt to watch Mobely knock that ball down and realize that we had finally won. One of the biggest thrills in my entire life, but I can't help it I bleed orange and piss blue.

When Broncos make it back to the top we will have come full circle once again. Some of us know how sweet it will be because we already tasted it once. We will be back, and soon, and when Broncos do win it all again us diehards will be the ones who really know what it is like to love the Broncos.

Whoever we draft they become Broncos and that's good enough for me. I could care less who we get I just know we are headed in right direction. The new regime will find us some good players, I have faith.

excellent post...

Requiem
04-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Was this on NFLN or what? Interesting stuff.

eddie mac
04-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Was this on NFLN or what? Interesting stuff.

Local radio in Denver I think Req. He also said Orakpo was the target at 12.

Requiem
04-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Noooo, not Orakpo.

kent156
04-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Adam Curry mark it down the league is all about getting to the QB teams will pass on him

Kaylore
04-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Adam Curry mark it down the league is all about getting to the QB teams will pass on him

Pssst....Aaron Curry.

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2009, 07:57 AM

He also says:

Watch him compete for Safety with Renaldo Hill.

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Noooo, not Orakpo.

Ya... we have enough LB's to be fine this year.

D-Line please.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Moreno looks like a natural runner to me I wouldn't be upset if he was a Bronco. He's not quite as big and fast as I would like but he has some sweet wiggle and can make people miss, and break tackles.

I know I will get myself in real trouble here. I like Moreno also, and I think it would be a really good move for the fanbase to pick up a high profile RB to make up for losing Cutler. Remember when we loved our RB's in Denver?

The thing I am a little scared to say, is that watching his playing style Moreno reminds me most of ---- Ladanian Tomlinson. Not tremendous break away speed, but good vision, indredibly shifty, and powers through more tackles than you would imagine.

So, yes, I think Moreno is worth either the 12 (if Curry, Raji and JAckson are gone) or 18.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 08:04 AM

****ing ****.

Then again, I guess there's nowhere else to stick him. He'd be useless as an OLB in a 3-4.

Williams has as much business playing inside LB as I do.

Popps, I agree with a great deal of your assessments, but you are way off here. If we finally build a functioning D-line, this is the perfect spot for DJ. He still plays "clean up man" just like WLB in a 4-3. If we have good, strong OLB's they take even more heat off him so he can use his speed to make plays.

Would I be upset if we could move DJ and his contract? No.

But, he can be a tremendous player at WILB. The SILB is the big thumper, the WILB gets to use his speed a little more. This is a good fit for DJ.

Rohirrim
04-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Popps, I agree with a great deal of your assessments, but you are way off here. If we finally build a functioning D-line, this is the perfect spot for DJ. He still plays "clean up man" just like WLB in a 4-3. If we have good, strong OLB's they take even more heat off him so he can use his speed to make plays.

Would I be upset if we could move DJ and his contract? No.

But, he can be a tremendous player at WILB. The SILB is the big thumper, the WILB gets to use his speed a little more. This is a good fit for DJ.

That's why I like Rey so much. In combination with what we have, he would be awesome.

cmhargrove
04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
That's why I like Rey so much. In combination with what we have, he would be awesome.

I'm not opposed to Rey, and I will welcome him if he becomes a Bronco. He does have heart, and we haven't had that since Al left.

I just don't know if there isn't still value for a thumper ILB in rounds 2-4.